OKC V GRAND RAPIDS 29.5.13

The Barons are tied 1-1 and have three straight at home. It’s a massive opportunity, and as we’ve discussed this team has several Oilers prospects front and center making things happen.Photo by Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved.

Projected Starting Lineups

1. Arcobello-Cornet-Cheechoo
  2. Stretch-Rajala-Hartikainen
  3. VandeVelde-Green-Pitlick
  4. House-Eager-Tyrvainen
  5. Davidson-Stafford
  6. Marincin-Fedun
  7. Jones-Hotham
  8. Danis

51 Responses to "OKC V GRAND RAPIDS 29.5.13"

Eager scores, UN 1-0 OKC

Green, UN 2-0 OKC

3. Kris11 says:

UN is my favorite Baron. Two point night.

Cornet, Davidson-Cheechoo 3-0 OKC

kris :-)

5. supernova says:

LT,

Man Davidson has to be one of the most feel good stories In years.

Can’t help but cheer like crazy for that guy.

6. supernova says:

What a organization, the penguins are killing it.

Not only are they final 4 in both the AHL and NHL, they still have more great prospects coming that aren’t playing in either.

How about Olli Matta!! comes over plays 2 straight Memorial cups and is playing tonight in the AHL playoffs.

Supernova: Too true. I half expect him to leap a tall building now.

8. supernova says:

Wasn’t he also late to playing Hockey?

I thought I read something when he was drafted that he started Hockey later, he looks a good bet to
    ” out kick his coverage”

Yeah, he couldn’t afford to play. Man. What a story, I sure hope he makes it.

House is badly injured, don’t know what happened but Eager went to his aid and is now out of the game. Bringing out a stretcher.

10. MrEd says:

Update on House?

From OKC Barons: 1m

#OKCBarons Tanner House, who was carted off ice on a stretcher after sustaining a head injury, is now alert & has regained consciousness.

12. doritogrande says:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen 27 minutes in penalties on the same play. Should we be looking at a suspension?

13. BlacqueJacque says:

The pace in the Hawks-Wings game is blistering. Non-stop full speed since the opening faceoff. The Oilers would lose a 7 game series to either team in 3 games. Unless the refs are incompetent assholes*, I feel sorry for LA.

*The refs are incompetent and inconsistent assholes. NHL refereeing is a joke. A set of rules for the first 20 games, a set of rules for the rest of the season, and a completely different set for the playoffs.

14. BlacqueJacque says:

And… Speaking of incompetent refs… Holy fuck. What a horrible call.

15. BlacqueJacque says:

Umm who is UN?

The Muldoon curse may be re-asserting itself.

That was a horrible call.

18. Rondo says:

Wow, why did they both go off? Detroit guy body slam him

19. RexLibris says:

Folks here probably remember the old Ted Green line about Shaun Van Allen (“tell him he’s Gretzky and send him back out”). Sure hope Todd Nelson doesn’t find himself in the same shoes.

20. RexLibris says:

That was a horrible call.

Same referees as the ones working the Heat-Pacers game last night?

21. fifthcartel says:

If the Hawks lose, oh man the fines.

22. SK Oiler Fan says:

BlacqueJacque:
    And… Speaking of incompetent refs… Holy fuck.What a horrible call.

Just brutal. Of course it favours the wings. Obviously the message from the top is that the officiating should be like this. It just snowballs on the zebras. As soon as they let one go on one team they have to let one go for the other team. As soon as there’s a borderline call made the other team gets the makeup call. So predictable. The zebras will call it game management. It’s actually situational officiating which there is no mention of in the rule book.

23. RexLibris says:

Checking the box score for the Barons game, the shots on goal went up as the game went on. I find that very heartening. They already had a good lead by the third, but kept coming on.

Good things happening.

24. SK Oiler Fan says:

classic bob cole on the non goal. He was the last guy in the rink and entire tv audience to realize it was no goal.

25. Gerta Rauss says:

BJ-UN = unassisted

I’m playing with house money in my playoff pool-I’ve got all Bruins and Blackhawks. I was certain I was done in the first round after Toronto went up by 3 in game 7, I’ve got a feeling my luck runs out tonight. Detroit wins it in OT.

26. rickithebear says:

CBC shows him blow the whistle for two guys going at it.
    Last incident like that was filpulla gone for the game.
    The whistle went half way to the d’s stick.

The power of the brain to Fool!

27. BlacqueJacque says:

SK Oiler Fan,

I don’t think there is any conspiracy. It’s just terrible refereeing and horrible rules about making calls. I mean, calling the play dead when the puck is touched is all well and good, until someone scores a goal and your horrible call was going to be 4v4 anyway. And really, if anything the league would favor big market recovering popularity Chicago over dirt poor third world country Detroit, IMHO.

SK Oiler Fan:

29. Gerta Rauss says:

or not…..:)….on to round 3!!!

30. BlacqueJacque says:

Gerta Rauss,

Thanks. And… *facepalm*. Drinking in a dry camp has hazards beyond getting booted out. Kills your tolerance too.

Well, Chicago won. Kinda disappointed, I hate Kane, but I think they stand a better chance of beating Boring Sutter’s LA Kings.

31. Lucinius says:

Bolland bails out the shitty reffing.

God damn the NHL has to do something about these refs. Worst of any major sport.

32. Ice Sage says:

And justice is served.
    Don’t like Chi chances vs LA if they play like this

33. BlacqueJacque says:

Best series I’ve watched in years. Really hope Chicago isn’t too tired to beat the Lame Kings.

34. hodgkins says:

Remember when we used to watch the Oilers line up for hand shakes? How long until you think it happens again?

35. pboy says:

When did Sportsnet and The Score team up? Jesus, I didn’t think those networks could get any worse but they are proving me wrong. John Garrett and Doug Maclean just brutalized John Tortorella. Garrett was scathing but nonsensical. Because John Garrett.

36. SK Oiler Fan says:

BlacqueJacque:
    SK Oiler Fan,

I don’t think there is any conspiracy.It’s just terrible refereeing and horrible rules about making calls.I mean, calling the play dead when the puck is touched is all well and good, until someone scores a goal and your horrible call was going to be 4v4 anyway.And really, if anything the league would favor big market recovering popularity Chicago over dirt poor third world country Detroit, IMHO.

Not thinking conspiracy, the Wings have just always seemed to get the calls more often than not. Partly because they are very disciplined. That was just a silly call. If anything the Wings should have gotten a powerplay if there was a penalty to be called. Of course Quenville’s head would have exploded so the 2 zebras got together and decided to call both

37. cabbiesmacker says:

Well, Chicago won.Kinda disappointed, I hate Kane, but I think they stand a better chance of beating Boring Sutter’s LA Kings.

Hey. Watch it fella

38. cabbiesmacker says:

Lowetide: I laughed out loud, he’s saying “relax” and we’re completely gone. Ah Bob Cole. Where every day is somewhere in 1978.

The guy is just pathetic. Back to the stewed prunes and Screech at the Shady Elms Home for the Incontinent, the poor boob.

“And now Seabrook carries it into the Wings end….Oh wait that’s Frolik……Well they both have a 7 on their Jerseys and I couldn’t discern Hulk Hogan from the Seven Dwarfs in a police lineup.”

“Now there goes Stalberg….er….Shaw….Why can’t they make 23 Jerseys with no numbers shared….damn I’m stupid….and old….or drunk…….and Actually I don’t even like hockey unless my precious Maple Leafs are playing.”

39. Henry says:

Gerta Rauss:
    BJ-UN = unassisted

? !

40. cabbiesmacker says:

Rondo:
    LT,

Have you read these rankings OHL

pretty interesting

And that is why I think Carolina is going with Nurse.

41. Rondo says:

cabbiesmacker,

I could see Carolina taking Nurse , I could also see Calgary or Edmonton taking him.

42. supernova says:

Rondo,

Disagree completely with Calgary and Edmonton going for Nurse.

Calgary needs skill everywhere up front and especially at C. Edmonton is Center or bust at 7.

43. mustang says:

Rondo:
    cabbiesmacker,

Ya I could also see Oilers taking Nurse if Monahan is gone at 7

44. Captain Obvious says:

Considering the context that was the worst call I have seen in my entire life. It was so much worse than simply making a mistake in vision or judgement, it was evidence of a moral failing on Walkom’s part.. Instead, he played the old “don’t want to decide a game 7 with a call” trick when Quincey mugged Saad, he felt forced to call a penalty to keep control of the game but he didn’t want to give Chicago an advantage, so he gave Saad a penalty just to keep it even. There is no other explanation possible.

Missing something with your eyes is forgivable. Intentionally making a mistake because of a misguided aesthetic creed is something else. Walkom deserves to be fired for this.

Surprisingly Spector thinks it was a good call. More evidence that knowledge and virtue are connected. Spector is a bad person and hence is wrong about everything.

45. mumbai max says:

Hey boys, let’s have some respect for Bob Cole.

He was one of the greats! He loves his job, and thus he has stayed too long. This is not a crime.
    It means he is human. I only hope that you have a job you love that you can do for decades, and that those that follow YOU will put you out to pasture gently. He is no different than Rod Phillips, or Ryan Smyth and hundreds of other athletes trying to wring the last drop out of their careers. They should be celebrated for the great years and the multitude of memories, not belittled as they hang on a bit too long.

Play nice.

46. vishcosity says:

Pushed out gently. The whole concept of tenure is so left wing. Be better Bob, old age is an excuse. It doesn’t sell in the pros, so why CBC? Because its government. Imagine that same logic applied to Tambellini. Just stay sharp people. Nobody should be allowed to achieve mediocrity.

Also I’ve been trying to post this bit for a couple days from the iPhone on the new OS and I got bounced fifteen times on the first attempt at typing. FYI

In trying to figure out a GM’s staying power, I figured I throw out a rudimentary attempt at math.

Points for:
    Playoffs – 1 point/round
    Trade + 20% value = 2 points
    Trade + 10% value = 1 point

Trade – 10% value = -1 point
    Trade – 20% value = -2 points
    Each year of Hall’s contract = -1 point

To keep his job maybe the GM has to be > – 5 at all times.

I wish I could find the sum symbol. Capital epsilon I think. I figure the math would look way cooler with an Epsilon.

47. vishcosity says:

I forgot points for good drafting. And points against for going way off board or for significant down arrows on any high ranked prospect. Or for flying to Kelowna to sign Dany Heatly.

48. mumbai max says:

vishcosity,

Rod Phillips was atrocious the last three years. We gave him a break because he had earned it. Vin Scully, etc. etc. It happens in all sports. There is room for tradition in the game alongside performance, especially when it is not on the field of play. What irks me much more is not one of the all time greats forgetting who is who, but the many talking airheads on all channels who are so vapid, insipid, and plain putrid. Where do they find these guys? It is painful to listen to ‘analysis’ presented in the form of cliche after cliche. LA wanted it more than SJ. Quick “stepped up’. Give me a break. Tell us something useful that is not obvious, that is what analysis is supposed to be.
    Advanced stats for instance. I am not a huge proponent, but heaven forbid the MSM could even tip their toe in the water. Sports reporting is stuck in the 20th century, but it is not Bob Coles fault!

49. supernova says:

vishcosity,

There is no advanced stats for GM tenure.

GM’s get usually a couple coaches hirings and then it depends on their win loss record and whether the team is on the rise or decline. Plus how well they are liked by their president and owner.

50. russ99 says:

Nice win for OKC, looks like a cup run may be in the cards.

Had the Hawks lost that one, we could have seen a replay of the Montreal riots, considering that the fans here feel that the Hawks got jobbed by the refs the whole series due to Babcock’s constant badgering. I’m glad that it didn’t.