PRONMAN’S LIST

If Corey Pronman’s list holds true, the Edmonton Oilers will select two-way C Sean Monahan at #7 overall at the 2013 NHL Entry draft June 30th. Pronman does an excellent job on his list, and then fills in the scouting blanks as well as anyone I’ve read (and I’ve read McKenzie, Button, Redline, ISS, and a few others). Among the items of interest:

• Pronman’s 1-2-3 turns McKenzie’s list upside down. Corey’s list: Drouin, MacKinnon, Jones. McKenzie’s list: Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin. I think that’s an indication that this is a pretty close race and we shouldn’t be surprised at the name called first–unless it’s someone other than this trio. Jones is my pick for #1 overall.
  • He has the Russian  Nichushkin (#4) ahead of Finn Barkov (#5) followed by Lindholm and then Monahan. Speeds’ list (iirc) also has Monahan behind Lindholm, as does McKenzie. Monahan could fall to Edmonton if someone takes the Russian. The most likely team? Lightning.
  • The defense has only 2 players in the top 10 (Ristolainen and of course Jones), but 4 in the 11-20 portion of the draft (Nurse, Pulock, Zadorov, Morrissey). If the Oilers trade out of the #7 spot, I’d guess it would be with the intention of taking one of Nurse, Zadorov or Lazar at their new number.
  • Anthony Mantha is rated #22, I have him hovering around the #10-#12 mark.
  • #25 is JT Compher, Kirk Luedeke mentioned him as a quality prospect when I talked to him this week. If you’re like me and have the top 10 surrounded but need to figure out 11-20, don’t forget this guy.
  • Curtis Lazar is #29 on Corey’s list. Maybe we see a repeat of last year’s heartbreak when Samuelsson was chosen late first round with Edmonton wishing and hoping in the early 30′s. I expect he goes much earlier, in the 12-15 range.

gauthier

Fredrik Gauthier

• #31 is Gauthier and #32 is Petan. If the Oilers are to follow MacT’s wishes and go after skill, one of these two prospects might be under consideration.
  • Kerby Rychel has fans who frequest this blog, he’s at #44.
  • Anton Slepyshev, who was available and well ranked a year ago, is at #45. One of the great things about Pronman’s list is that he does indeed rank players who were eligible a year or two ago.
  • At #47, Michael McCarron was mentioned by Guy Flaming this week as a very interesting player. Worth following, Oilers took his brother in the ’12 draft.
  • G Tristan Jarry is at #89, I’d bet money Edmonton has him high on their list.
  • #99 is Greg Chase, who looked good during the playoffs against the Oil Kings. Interesting player.
  • Adam Tambellini is #104. Would Edmonton take him? I bet they would if the was the top guy remaining on their board.
  • #118 is JC Lipon, who has become famous this season.
  • Eric Comrie is #127, I think he might be the first NA goalie off the board.
  • #187 is Oil King defender Cody Corbett. I thought he might go last season.

PRONMAN’S LIST LAID ONTO THE OILERS DRAFT PICKS

duclairfinal

If we marry Pronman’s list to the Oilers draft numbers, we get the following:

• #7 Sean Monahan: I imagine the Oilers rush the stage to announce his name, Monahan at 21 or 22 might end up being the exact item EDM is looking for now, and he also appears to be BPA at that number. I think the Oilers deal down if he’s not there.
  • #37 Anthony DuClair: Projected as a first round talent entering the season, he was meh offensively this year and has seen his numbers plummet (didn’t help that Grigorenko wasn’t around). Whispers of attitude problems sounds distinctly non-Oiler, but the young man does have skill.
  • #58 (ANA pick, final number could change) Will Butcher: Part of that magical USNTDP team that produces defensemen by the dozen, here’s what nhl.com had to say about him: The 5-foot-9.5, 191-pound offensive-minded defenseman offers tremendous speed and intelligence and is instinctual with the puck. A left-handed shot, Butcher has good vision, is calm in transition and can quarterback the power play.
  • #128 Mitchell Wheaton: Huge (6.05, 225) defensive defenseman whose style of play has been compared to Chris Tanev.
  • #158 Jake Guentzel: Small and fast, this story has him at 5.06, 135 in 2010 fall (he’s 5.08, 140 now according to Central Scouting) and I’m worried about him already.
  • #188 Vladimir Tkachev: Skilled Russian center with decent size.

Corey’s list is made this way, and I think it’s the best list in the business. It is NOT like the McKenzie list, where Bob is collecting information and then slotting the players based on what he’s been told. Bob doesn’t project anything, Corey’s list by definition is doing exactly that based on the information made available via viewing, video and talking to the industry. Two different photos of the same moment in time.

WHAT WILL THE OILERS DO?

lazar1

The Oilers are going into this draft (imo) hoping Sean Monahan will be there, but would bet that Calgary grabs him and the Russian falls. I don’t think the Oilers will select Nichushkin–that’s based on the contract (2 years and the only way to get out of it is if the player buys himself out, according to Stu MacGregor via Jason Gregor) and team bias–I don’t think they’re ever going to draft a guy who is as involved in the crazy world of the KHL as deeply as this player.

So, at #7 I think the Oilers deal down–I’ll guess to Winnipeg–and pick up picks #13 and #43. And I believe the draft picks might look like this:

• #13 Curtis Lazar: May end up playing the wing by the time he arrives in the NHL, but the physical, skilled forward (6.0, 190 according to Central Scouting) has been terrific in the Oilers back yard all season (and before). The club hasn’t taken an Oil King in the first round so far, but that ends this season.
  • #37 Kerby Rychel: Qualifies as a skilled winger (40-47-87 in 68 OHL games) and has size too (6.01, 205) and some truculence (almost 100 pims). I’m stealing this quote from Jonathan Willis and this article, but the reason behind picking both Lazar and Rychel is contained in this quote:
  • Stu MacGregor: “Things are different [under MacTavish than they were under Tambellini]. Mac has a theory you need lots of skill and that you need skill to be able to make plays, but he also is saying ‘we need the passion of players to be able to compete’ which is something that we’ve tried to find. He believes that we’ve got to get a little bit bigger; these aren’t things that people would be surprised by. Mac has his theories and his ideas of what needs to be done; he followed us a lot during the season, I think he knows us pretty well. This is his first year-end meeting that he’s sat in on. He’s given us some ideas of things that he likes and wants. Part of that is discussion with us, myself and him and also within the group, just kind of the way he sees the world. Every GM sees things a little bit differently, and he works a little bit from a coaching standpoint in that guys have to be able to think, players have to be able to figure out what the coach is showing and teaching. He makes us think, and make sure that we’re trying to find those types of players that have that hockey sense and understanding of systems, playing within a group, being able to adapt to circumstances and things like that.”
  • #43 Erik Comrie: Tristan Jarry is the other choice for ‘future goalie’ and the Oil Kings crazy SP (.936) may make him a better bet. I think they might feel Comrie is more established and they’ve seen more evidence. If they take either goaltender, I expect the Oilers will consider the future taken care of at this position. They’ll add an NHL backup, but with Roy, Bunz and now Tuohimaa at the pro level they can bridge the gap until Jarry/Comrie are ready.
  • #58 (ANA pick, final number could change): Viktor Arvidsson Elite Prospects: “A smallish winger with good speed and impressive technical skills. Really noticeable on the ice with his creativity. Has a fine shot and potential to become a pretty high scoring player. Works pretty hard too and does not ignore his defensive responsibilities.”
  • #128: Cole Ully: draftsite.com: “Deceptive scorer and playmaker who can take care of business at high speed. Smaller player who is still adapting to playing against the bigger WHL veterans. He needs continued weight training and girth. Has soft hands, and is a smooth passer on the attack.”
  • #158: Zach Bell: Good size, some evidence of being able to move the puck and he has flourished in a very good league. Good decisions, good first pass according to scouting reports and he has a plus shot and size.
  • #188: Ashton Sautner: I wondered about his being passed over one year ago, and his performance this spring after the Reinhart injury surely must have turned some heads. At this point in the draft you’re picking a future AHL roster, suspect Sautner has done enough to earn a pick.

87 Responses to "PRONMAN’S LIST"

1. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

At #80 on his list: Tyler Hill. No end to the Taylor-Tyler jokes.

2. Rondo says:

LT,

What if Lindholm is available at # 7 and Monahan is gone do you still trade down?

What is a # 37 pick and the # 58 ? pick with a combination of Linus Omark worth?

How much could they move up?

Thanks for the pointing out the distinction in Pronman’s list compared to McKenzie.

McKenzie is predicting draft order, Proman is predicting impact of the player.

Also,

Great quote from Stu.

I think we can take from that quote that the scouting staff isn’t left to determine the draft list on their own, rather they flavour it to suit their marching orders.

When we look at the “lost” 2nd and 3rd rounders from the Tambo era, I think they were looking for specific things. Big and Fast. No thought to brain or skill.

NOTE: Its far too early to pronounce judgement on players within 4-5 years of their draft class, but the arrows on many are not encouraging. Also, drafting Abney is the worst use of a 3rd round pick that I can remember.

I think those days are over.

Skill, Brain, Size is the new mantra, and I think they will sacrifice size if the skill and brain are there and they will avoid some of the more dubious picks of the past.

Hopefully the can pull out some Stepans, Hamonics, Shultzes, Subban, Galiardi, Spalling type players out of the 2nd round instead of 3rd line muckers.

Thank MacT.

Rondo:
    LT,

What isa # 37 pick and the # 58 ? pick with a combination of Linus Omarkworth?

How much could they move up?

For me, I’d take Nichushkin or Lindholm, or whomever was still on the list at #7. However, I’ll bet money EDM doesn’t feel the same way. But yes, I’d take Lindholm for sure.

Woodguy:

McKenzie is predicting draft order, Proman is predicting impact of the player.

Also,

Great quote from Stu.

When we look at the “lost” 2nd and 3rd rounders from the Tambo era, I think they were looking for specific things.Big and Fast.No thought to brain or skill.

NOTE: Its far too early to pronounce judgement on players within 4-5 years of their draft class, but the arrows on many are not encouraging.Also, drafting Abney is the worst use of a 3rd round pick that I can remember.

I think those days are over.

Thank MacT.

It’s going to be fascinating to see the player types we get out of this season. We have anecdotal evidence of MacT’s influence going back to last draft, and he went for skill, goals and the home run.

Godspeed, Craig MacTavish.

6. fuzzy muppet says:

RE Lindholm.

The Oilers would be utterly stupid if he fell to 7 and they trade out or take someone else. He is 17 and playing with men already. He has an NHLE that’s one point lower than Barkov.

7. RexLibris says:

Just a note on that draft order, I think it goes Jones, Drouin and then MacKinnon. Jones is the easy pick and Sherman has already traded for Johnson. He may feel that moving into a different conference, and given their depth at center with O’Reilly and Duchene, that he’d rather add an NHL-ready blueliner right away.

As for Drouin being taken 2nd, I think Tallon and company salivate at the thought of him paired with Huberdeau. They have Bjugstad and Grimaldi down the middle but Howden is their best prospect on the wing. When it comes to MacKinnon slipping to third I think the Lightning take MacKinnon to replace Lecavalier which also gives them the flexibility to look at potentially trading Connolly.

The first team I see looking to trade out or down are the Carolina Hurricanes. The Oilers could target them for a trade and Rutherford, for all his strengths, has made some curious decisions of late (Semin signing) which opens up some possibilities.

With the #6 spot, I think the Flames try like heck to trade up to get Barkov but they could just as likely trade down. This is Feaster, heaven only knows what he and Weisbrod think of this draft board.

fuzzy muppet:
    RE Lindholm.

The Oilers would be utterly stupid if he fell to 7 and they trade out or take someone else.He is 17 and playing with men already. He has an NHLEthat’s one point lower than Barkov.

Agreed.

I’ve heard Stu talk about the draft 3 times now.

Has never mentioned Lindholm’s name.

Doesn’t have to mean anything, but it may be telling.

9. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“Kerby Rychel has fans who frequest this blog, he’s at #44.”

I don’t know if that is a typo, a popular neologism I’m unaware of, or a neologism LT just came up with… I’m not even entirely sure what it means: “frequently request”?

At any rate, I enjoyed the puzzle of staring at it for a time.

Also, I hate trading the pick.

10. LMHF#1 says:

That Penner guy went and delivered in the playoffs again.

The Oilers could use a guy like that.

11. Ribs says:

I’ve liked Slepyshev in my limited viewings.

Also really enjoyed that MacGregor quote. Now I’m going to have to go hunt down interviews that I haven’t had time to read/hear lately.

12. Captain Happy says:

RexLibris:

I think you pegged the top of the draft pretty well.

Seth Jones is pretty much a no brainer for Colorado given his history with that area.

And, I agree Tallon will take Drouin to play with Huberdeau (the new French connection when they move to Quebec).

Florida is loaded with centre prospects with Nick Bjugstad, Quinton Howden, Drew Shore, Rocco Grimaldi and Vincent Trocheck all looking pretty decent.

I do think the Hurricanes (who need defensemen) will take Nurse rather than trade down so Nashville will have to make a decision on whether they take Barkov or Monahan. I have a hunch they’ll take Monahan leaving the Flames to pick Barkov.

RexLibris,

You may be able to swing into #5 by offering CAR some cap relief.

Trade #7 and X (non-roster player or pick) for #5 & Pitkainen perhaps?

CAR has a pile of $$ tied up Staal, Staal, Semin, Rutuu , Skinner and Ward ($38.02MM or 60% of the cap on 6 players)

Pitkanen makes $4.5 and Gleason $4.0

Gleason has NTC

Rutuu has NTC

Can’t see CAR trading any of the others (and who would take exceeding average or lower Ward at $6.3MM?)

Or something like that.

CAR needs D so maybe not.

They’re in a tough spot.

Not sure MacT would want Joni back, even for a year though.

14. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

“McKenzie is predicting draft order, Pronman is predicting impact of the player.”

Draft order skews towards a players upside because there’s always someone willing to look away from the downside.

It’s hard to separate out draft order, momentum, and consensus. So I wonder if personal evaluations might tend to overly discount late movers.

15. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

Нинтендо⁶⁴,

If Hurricanes want to flip they’ll have the Oil and Flames in an bidding war.

Ribs:
    I’ve liked Slepyshev in my limited viewings.

His interview with Stauffer on May 7th is good. Find that one on Ched’s site.

Нинтендо⁶⁴:

Really depends on the individual making the evaluations I’d guess.

Some will, some won’t.

18. oilgreg says:

It appears that this draft class has a distinct ‘Top 7.’ Trading down seldom seldom turns out favorable – just look back to the Sharks in ’93 and to our Oilers in ’03. Draft history tells us that you are much more likely to get a player at #7 then at 13.

My take? The Oilers grab whomever is leftover aout of the top 7; Monahan, Nichushkin or Lindholm. As teams often go off-the-board, we may even have a choice between two of these players.
    The fact that Edmonton has Yakapov, and hopefully have also nurtured a positive relationship with Larionov, should help transition Nichushkin to the Oilers. And waiting a year or two for this player will have huge salary benefits a few years down the road.

So, they draft the BAP at #7. Can they then flip their two second rounders for a pick that nets then Lazar? I would even add in 2014′s second round pick to make this deal. As we are finding out with Hamilton and Pitlick, one quality prospect is much better than two or three suspect ones.

And for those of you who are looking at Samuelsson as ‘one-who-got-away’ in 2012, well, I would take Moroz over him any day. Those of you who write in here commenting about Moroz’s lack of production are obviously not aware of the type of game this kid brings. He’ll make a role for himself on the Oilers that Hordichuck, Eager and Hartikainin just aren’t capable of ; a-tough-and-nasty-to-play-against force who can play against and with skill players.

19. admiralmark says:

Ok so because Monahan is gone at #7 we in our infinite wisdom think the best Plan B is to trade #7 for #13 and 43rd? So # 7 now becomes Lazar rated at 29th by Pronman and 25th In McKenzies last draft list?! How does this make sense to anyone? Adding a 2nd round pick as the upside of moving down and drafting a 25-29th ranked player in the 1st round is a horribly bad bet to make. Have we not learnt from past mistakes? MAP and Pendergast anyone? I absolutely hate this idea and has all the making of screwing up what could be an excellent draft for the Oilers.

20. fifthcartel says:

Trading spots with Carolina would be a fantastic move for MacT, and potentially steal Monahan from Feaster

21. asiaoil says:

Oilers do not need to trade down for more picks – that’s pointless. They need to get bigger and better at center and need higher end veteran help on defense. Nashville is a prime move up target as they need help on defense which will be available at #7. Crusify me if you will but I’d do:

#7 (Nurse) and Gagner
    for
    #4 (Barkov) and Gaustad

Problems at center are solved and we would have plenty of depth and size (RNH, Barkov, Horcov, Gaustad). If they want MacKinnon then TB is the target and you throw Hemsky, #7 and both #2s at them if need be. This is the last time we draft this high and we have a good draft slot and assets that can be used to move up. We need to use them and be very smart here as the deal made at this draft could make or break the team’s ability to take the next step. But we need another young two way center and a bigger veteran two way center to go forward. I’ve watched SJS closely this year and I love their team makeup with all that depth a center. Damn sure would prefer Couture to Gagner on our team plus they have Thorton, Marleau and Pavelski – nice.

Time for “evaluating” is over and MacT is going to have to make some risky bets to move forward. Make the right calls and we contend soon enough – make the wrong calls and the whole rebuild likely blows up in his face.

22. Henry says:

fifthcartel,

Conceivably Barkov could be in play for this bidding war if Florida goes with Drouin then Tampa decides ‘there sure are a lot of centers here’ and goes with the Nichi. Nashville takes Mackinnon leaving three centres lined up with Carolina needing help on D.

Barkov on the Oilers sure would be nice.

23. Romulus Apotheosis says:

fifthcartel:

Wouldn’t you take Lindholm or Barkov at 5 (barkov ought to be gone, but someone may chance on the Russian at 4) over Monahan?

oilgreg,

I couldn’t agree more.

I usually don’t discuss the draft too much as I don’t have any knowledge of the prospects and rely on what others say.

That being said, when the general consensus is “there are 4/2/7 very good players in this draft” the crowd is usually right.

Everyone says top 4 are potential all-stars and top 7 are very good players.

If the Oilers don’t trade up and pick 7th, if they don’t take whoever is left, they will probably have made a mistake.

You can’t judge drafts until years later, but when it comes to “there are X very good players in the draft” you have to listen and resist the temptation to take a “guy you really like” as opposed to “the guy everyone thinks is the best”

Past the “very good players” it gets more crapshoot like and you can go off the board a bit.

You don’t trade out of the top, and 7th is end of the top this year.

The NHL draft is like the league giving free money to all the teams. The worst teams get the most money.

Don’t trade in $75 for $50.

25. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

Woodguy,

Agreed.

What I was getting at is that late movement is all about high side and momentum and ought to show up in draft order predictions.

Anyone doing a personal list by Reasonable Skill Expectation has to sort out high side and buzz with stats and perhaps some late viewings.

So on late movers it would be interesting to average out what a bunch of guys like Pronman are doing with a rising or dropping prospect. It would also be interesting to compare how much they move down on early bad news vs. how much they move up on late good news.

26. Gi JQE says:

Personally BARKOV is a pipe dream. And not sure he is significantly enough better then LINDHOLM and MONAHAN to give up the assets to move up.

I am hoping for LINDHOLM. Someone showed comparables to his numbers at 17 in his league and made me salivate!

BARKOV > LINDHOLM ? but by how much?
    LINDHOLM > MONAHAN ? but by how much?

Is the gap enough to justivy the suggested trades? You have to think one of them will be available. How often has a Draft Top 7 ever gone exactly as perdicted ?

27. gcw_rocks says:

I am predicting the Oilers draft at least 3 coke machines. Let’s see…

28. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

Woodguy,

Agreed that it’s rare to win when hockey teams trade down. (It might work in football with a bigger pool with older players and short careers)

With this top 7 Carolina *might* get away with dropping 1 or 2 spots. Edmonton needs to move up or hold steady.

(If 5-7 are bunched closely enough and the order differs enough maybe we will see one of those slight drops)

29. fifthcartel says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

My guess is Barkov is off the board already at Carolina’s pick, with him going to Nashville, if he fell, that would be amazing for Edmonton.

I’d be for either Lindholm or Monahan, they both seem like they could fit that 2C spot behind RNH, but my fear is both are gone by the time they pick at #7 and then end up trading down for Lazar.

asiaoil,

Legwand and FIsher are both 32 years old.

With trading Erat for Forsberg and having a core of 22ish year old players, I think NAS would be in the market for a C.

Also,

This was weird.

I was talking to a guy who doesn’t post online or anything like that, but is in a position to hear things from time to time (not related to the Oilers, but other team(s))

He has interesting stuff from time and time and told me that he heard:

Weber for Yak+Klef+1st

I mentioned this to someone else who hears things from time to time and he said “Wow, I heard the same thing with the 1st being 2014 and something else coming back NAS”

NAS can’t trade Weber until after the draft, so 2014 1st would make sense.

I’m not discounting it entirely as MacT knows how Pronger solidified the entire 05/06 roster.

I haven’t read that particular trade proposal anywhere, if its out there then I’d discount the info I got.

Not saying its true, just sharing and more or less spicing up a Saturday in May.

31. speeds says:

admiralmark:

A team generally gets more in value than 43 for moving down 6 spots, but that aside it depends who they would take.

Personally, my take is that there is a tier of 7 top prospects in this draft, so EDM is fine to sit where they are and take whoever is left (or have a choice of a couple of them if one or two surprises occur before their pick). I also agree with the idea of trading up, I would be just fine with EDM moving their whole draft to get into the top 3 if they could find a willing partner (which I doubt) – I would even entertain the idea of including next year’s first, potentially, in such a deal (if I had no designs to use it in offer sheets, and if the right deal were available, probably involving top 5 protection).

LT and I talked about this a bit on his show last week, but how do the Oilers deal with the draft day scenario wherein the top 6 are (in some order) Jones, Drouin, MacKinnon, Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan? If they’ve looked into Nichushkin’s transfer risk and decide they aren’t comfortable taking him, what is the proper course of action? It’s true that I wouldn’t be all that excited to see EDM move down 6 spots, receiving only a mid round 2nd*, and draft Lazar. But I certainly prefer that to them sitting at 7 and taking Lazar anyways, without receiving the 2nd back.

* I’d have to find examples, but my memory of such trade down deals suggests if EDM moves down 3 or 4 spots from 7 to 10-11, that’s ordinarily worth a 2nd, and moving down again from 10-11 to 13-14-15 would probably net a 2nd as well.

32. Ducey says:

The Oilers could also trade down with CLB for the 14th pick and another one of CLB’s 1st rounders. That way they get Lazar with the later pick and can take someone like Horvat or Zadorov. There is the Howson connection there so you never know.

MacT mentioned at his year end presser that he wanted to change things to get better returns on later round picks. The Oilers have done pretty well with later round picks finding guys who can contribute at the minor league level but are perhaps too small (Omark, Reider, Rajala, Jones, Pelss, Cornet) to play bottom 6 and therefore not likely to make it. I would have thought the emphasis would be a on bigger players. The quote seems to modify that.

The reality is that you get quality smaller guys in later rounds because no one else wants them. Its hard to find a place for them in an NHL lineup. It sounds like every team wants to get bigger.

I like Corbett plenty. Seen him good at the Oil Kings games.

33. Kris11 says:

I can definitely, definitely, definitely see Calgary preferring the “good Canadian kid” Monahan to the lazy Russian Nicushkin or the passionless Swede Lindholm.

Calgary has had 18 picks over the last 3 drafts and has chosen two Europeans: one Swiss kid and one Fin. (And the Swiss kid was Baertschi, who kind of couldn’t not be drafted at that spot, and was playing over here, IIRC.)

The last time they drafted a Russian kid was 2002. That’s over a decade. The same goes for Czechs and Slovakians.

Okay, management has changed over those years, but still. They could very well grab Monahan over Lindholm and Nicushkin.

34. Gi JQE says:

Woodguy,

I don’t like that trade.. huge WEBER fan… but not for that much future. Maybe if KLEFBOM was swapped for a lower D prospect and we get a decent ‘+’ from them?

I am sure I am just Oiler bias, but YAK should be worth alot in a cap world where he should be scoring 30 on his ELC…

35. Henry says:

Would Tampa consider #3 + Malone’s salary for #7 and MPS? Tampa has cap problems. While I like MPS a lot, Barkov or MacKinnon would be very useful as would Malone on the most expensive third line in hockey for a year or two.

36. Rondo says:

According to Corey Pronman there is a top 6. Then it drops off

” The top six all project as NHL All Stars or better. I cannot make that claim in regards to anyone beyond this spot. Sean Monahan, ranked seventh”

37. Ribs says:

Woodguy: Weber for Yak+Klef+1st

3 for 1! Hah.

I guess a thing to keep in mind is that if Nashville hadn’t matched they would have got 4 first rounders from Philadelphia. It’d be an 11th pick this year if Philly didn’t do any better with Weber in the lineup. You’d have to think that at best the next three would be mid round picks as well.

Klefbom is a partially developed prospect so he’s better than the 19th overall pick you’d get from Philly. Next years Oilers 1st would hopefully be in the middle of the pack which would equal Philly’s. Yakupov is a #1 overall pick that they would never get from Philly (or anyone else). Is he equal to the two Philly firsts?

I’d say you have to take Yakupov out of the equation, but offer something better than two middling first round picks.

admiralmark:

I always try to be clear but never seem to manage it. :-)

MY feeling on the draft is here.

If Nichushkin and Monahan were both available at 7, I would take Nichushkin. Seriously. And if Lindholm, Nichushkin and Monahan were available I would take Lindholm. Seriously. I would NOT trade up or down. Honest.

That isn’t what this post is about. When I said

1. I don’t think the Oilers will select Nichushkin
    2. at #7 I think the Oilers deal down

and headlined a portion of the post with “What will the Oilers do?” that’s what I was talking about during that time. There is no “infinite wisdom” :-) just a bunch of ladies and fellows trying to figure out what the Oilers are going to do.

39. Rondo says:

I could see Oilers trying to move up in the second round by combining the 37th pick and the 58th pick ( or lower) if there is a players Oilers want.

40. Kris11 says:

Nicushkin is a 6’4″ power forward with skill. (Plays like Rick Nash, I heard somewhere.)

What do the Oilers need again?

If they can draft him and don’t, just to take a smaller guy like Shinkaruk and a later pick or cruddy asset, they are not drafting BPA or by need. Crazy.

There is a chance the kid stays in Russia forever. But there is a chance with any kid that they get injured and their career ends, hit a mental wall and stop working to develop, etc. This can’t be a reason not to take the kid who brings everything you need.

Crazy not to take the kid if he is there. But LT is right that the Oilers probably won’t, because they are crazy.

Our best hope is that either or both the following happens, dropping Lindholm to us:

a.) Someone else takes Nicuskin before 7. (This is very possible, IMO.)
    b.) Calgary takes Monahan, dropping Lindholm to us.

Or maybe

c.) We trade the pick entirely for an good, youngish player, hopefully a D-man.

Trading down just seems awful.

41. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

“I would be just fine with EDM moving their whole draft to get into the top 3 if they could find a willing partner (which I doubt)”

Agreed. Blue Jackets apparently turned that deal down to drop from 2 to 4 last year.

It’s a 1, 1A, 1B sort of year. So of course you offer, but who takes that to drop from 3 to 7? (even if Oil have two 2nds to offer instead of their 3rd and 4th)

42. Rondo says:

Kris11,

Steven Santini sounds like a good pick for the Oilers in the 2nd round if your looking for a D-man

1) I think it is too costly or impossible for the Oilers to move into the top 4. Nashville has a bunch of 30 something centres and are disappointed in Wilson. They are drafting a centre.

2) Carolina is desparate for a proven defensemen, since they are built to compete now. #5 will go to a team who is willing to trade them a proven NHL defensemen. Alex Edler for the #5 would make a lot of sense for both Vancouver and Carolina. I could see Yandle for the #5 also. Or Tom Gilbert and Minny’s 1st for the #5. If no legit D is offered, then the Oilers 2nd round pick should be enough to move from #7 to #5, since Carolina probably would want to draft a D if they can’t trade for one. But I think this pick gets shopped heavily for an established D, before any trade downs are considered.

44. rickithebear says:

18 years of loyalty!
    Martinez full circle!
    WIGAN!

45. admiralmark says:

Ok sorry i knew you were speaking hypothetically and guessing what the Oilers might do. My comments were meant to be directed at this possibility. I believe i was venting at this possible Oiler scenario only because i can see that in the “Oilers infinite wisdom” it is a very real possibility and I hate the idea. My hope is that with MacT(not Tambi) and the Magnificent Bastard(not Pendergast) that this ultimately is not the route they choose to go.

46. RickDeckard says:

Kris11,

I agree with you 100%. Take the BPA or trade the pick outright for whatever need the team has right now. Monahan, Lindholm and Nichushkin are who we should be hoping to draft with Ristolainen as the sole option for defencemen.

For the second rounders, assuming they don’t trade them for something, I want Subban with one of them. Bloodlines.

47. Rondo says:

Here is a little history of moving up and down at the draft. It is subjective because it matters who the player is.

admiralmark:

No worries, I wasn’t insulted just wanted to make sure that we were all on the same page.

godot10:
    1) I think it is too costly or impossible for the Oilers to move into the top 4.Nashville has a bunch of 30 something centres and are disappointed in Wilson.They are drafting a centre.

2)Carolina is desparate for a proven defensemen, since they are built to compete now.#5 will go to a team who is willing to trade them a proven NHL defensemen.Alex Edler for the #5 would make a lot of sense for both Vancouver and Carolina.I could see Yandle for the #5 also.Or Tom Gilbert and Minny’s 1st for the #5.If no legit D is offered, then the Oilers 2nd round pick should be enough to move from #7 to #5, since Carolina probably would want to draft a D if they can’t trade for one.But I think this pick gets shopped heavily for an established D, before any trade downs are considered.

CAR doesn’t have room for Edler’s contract unless they move out $.

Just adding Edler and they are at $61.65MM with 18 players

$2.65MM to sign 5 players doesn’t work unless they are all $500K players.

Ribs: 3 for 1! Hah.

I like Weber, but trading Yak for anything seems like a really, really bad idea.

Rondo:
    According to CoreyPronmanthere is a top 6. Then it drops off

Interesting.

I had read 7 from others.

Edit:

Here is Proman’s quote:

You normally can get above-average prospects up until the top or middle of the second round in a standard draft class. This year, I would say that applies up until the beginning or middle of the third round. There are normally about eight to 10 top-end prospects in a draft class, where this year, I count 16 of them. There are six or seven elite prospects available, depending on how you view Sean Monahan.

The tiers, in terms of where I see a drop off in prospect value, is after the top three of Drouin, MacKinnon, and Jones, and after Nichushkin and Barkov at five—though Nichushkin can arguably be slotted into either of those tiers. Lindholm is also on a tier by himself, tightly grouped between the other two. There is also a dropoff after Zadorov at 16, and after that a steady marginal decline in prospect value begins until the end of the draft rankings.

Woodguy: Interesting.

I had read 7 from others.

Monahan’s offensive potential is shy of the others, that’s the gap. However, the guy had zero support this season and delivered the same as year before. I do think that’s the reason Lindholm is a better bet, though. Still think it’s 7 at the top end (really 4 and then 3).

53. gogliano says:

I wouldn’t rule out the Oilers picking Nichushkin for the sole reason because Oilers.

That Stu quote seems to suggest that MacT has the chance to decide this (absent a Katz intervention?). We don’t really know what MacT will do on draft day but he has always struck me as someone less tied to cliches and ethnic stereotypes than true Old Boys Club members. He is also looking for size and skill in the same package and Nichushkin has it in spades. And, unlike Tambo, he has some relative job security–he was just hired by his good friend. He can wait the 2 years for the impact of Nichushkin hitting the show.

If all the non-Russians go #1-6 I suspect the Oilers would take him if the interview and other signals go right. The trouble is that if the interview and other signals go right for the Oilers they probably go right for the other teams too and he should go #1-6. I wouldn’t trust the rationality of other teams but a slide isn’t meaningless in this context either.

I like the idea of trading up to #5 for Barkov/Lindholm–hard to see them being less than a 2C given what they’ve already accomplished–or sitting tight and picking up whomever is left of the big 7. But I don’t think Nichuskin is an easy call if he does slide. I’d still take him but there is a decent risk there.

54. Rondo says:

Woodguy,

Here is Pronman’s full quote

“Ranking explanation: There is a notable tier separation between the sixth spot and the seventh spot, making this ranking a simple decision. The top six all project as NHL All Stars or better. I cannot make that claim in regards to anyone beyond this spot. Sean Monahan, ranked seventh, has some dynamic qualities, but he is not elite enough in one particular area to project as a star. He could be an average top-line center. That still makes him valuable, but his lack of multiple top-end skills holds him back from belonging in the same tier as Lindholm and above.”

55. Rondo says:

Obviously you need to take these rankings with a grain of salt.

Last years rankings by Corey Pronman

56. russ99 says:

It would be a hard sell to trade down and pick a Oil King way above his projected spot (like Moroz last year) instead of picking what could easily be another impact player two to three years down the road.

As much as I dislike the idea of drafting a likely 3rd round center in Monohan, I’d hate a trade-down scenario much more which IMO would confirm that dithering is a organizational issue and not just an issue with the previous GM.

Bold moves need to be made, not stupid ones trying to look bold.

Rondo:
    Woodguy,

Here is Pronman’s full quote

Thanks Rondo

Rondo:
    Obviously you need to take these rankings with a grain of salt.

Last years rankings by Corey Pronman

Why grain of salt?

The look pretty astute to me.

He doesn’t try to predict order and I think Grigorenko and Galchenyuk are going to be very good NHLers.

59. Gi JQE says:

It would be interesting to see how close the top 7 have been predicted in years past by Mackenzie, Pronman, ISS…

I doubt it is all that close. I suspect MacT will have a choice of 2 od the 7 guys listed provided he does not trade the pick.

Looking over prior rankings, one or two of the top projected drafties typically fall significantly.

Has there been a year where even the top 5 have been correctly projected?

Heres hoping it is LINDHOLM that falls…

60. Rondo says:

Woodguy,

The only thing I know is there is no such thing as a fact about tomorrow.

Woodguy: CAR doesn’t have room for Edler’s contract unless they move out $.

Just adding Edler and they are at $61.65MM with 18 players

$2.65MM to sign 5 players doesn’t work unless they are all $500K players.

But the players they have to add are all cheap ones, 4 depth forwards, and one depth defensemen. If they get offered a real D, they will take him, and figure a way around a short term problem via a trade or a compliance buyout.

Edler is a bit expensive. They would probably have to trade or compliance buyout PItkanen, but Pitkanen only has one year to UFA, and Edler is younger and give long term cost certainty.

62. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

Rondo,

Oh. But there is absolutely no risk in my betting on there being a tomorrow.

63. sliderule says:

One of the teams probably Carolina will take Nurse before oilers pick .

This will give the oilers Monahan ,Lindholm or Barkov.

Did anyone watch Bo Horvat get 2 goals and an assist to lead London to win.

Just one night but looked way better than Lazar has showed in final

Off that game he is moving up .Probably a lot

64. ashley says:

Rondo: Obviously you need to take these rankings with a grain of salt.Last years rankings by Corey Pronmanhttp://www.hockeyprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1305

Yeah, Moroz isn’t even in that long list. How can that be? He was picked at #32.

Can you imagine if we had picked Murray and Moroz last year? Pronman obviously wouldn’t have agreed.

65. speeds says:

godot10,

wonder what they think of Petry?

66. Rondo says:

Well, go Detroit

67. Ducey says:

Нинтендо⁶⁴:
    Rondo,

Oh. But there is absolutely no risk in my betting on there being a tomorrow.

Unless your bookie doesn’t have a tomorrow.

68. Ducey says:

gogliano,

We can attribute all kinds of nefarious reasons why the Oilers would not take Nichushkin but there is a pretty good reason not to. If he is not committed to playing in the NHL he may not sign a contract in time so that he won’t re-enter the draft. If he does sign, he is likely to use the KHL as leverage to get later contracts higher than his worth.

I expect that what he says at the combine will be key.

69. RickDeckard says:

Since no one else ever talks about him, I’ll pump Ristolainen’s tires a bit. The NHL lockout had a massive effect on him. Three NHLers joined TPS’s blueline (Shattenkirk, Kris Russell, Alec Martinez) and that pushed him down the depth chart.

His average TOI before the WJHC is 20.6, after it rose to 23 minutes. His points per game rose from .276 to .304. His PIM per game dropped from .620 to .608. The most impressive is his shot attempt rate. It went from 2.24 per game to 4.91 per game. His season total of 178 is 55th in the league and 17th among defencemen (or backs as they are called in Finnish, a far more logical term). After the WJHC he never had a game with less than 2 shot attempts and had his season high 11 shot attempts as well. This compares to the 2012 section of his season where he had 10 games with 1 or fewer SAs and a high of 7. That high was part of a run of 22 SAs in his first 5 games (4.4 per game and a third of his 2012 SAs), a period that ended a week after the lockout began.

As a side note, Ristolainen had a terrible SH%, scoring on only 1.69% of his attempts for the season (86th out of the 137 defencemen with at least 10GP) and less than 1% of his attempts after the WJHC. Defencemen don’t have very high SH%s in Finland (probably due to counting SAs instead of shots) but if he had the median SH% he’d improve his NHLE to 13.85 from 12.77.

70. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I realize both were OHL kids… but I wonder if picking Yakupov (despite rumblings of Katz pulling rank) and Zharkov last year means anything here.

Maybe the Oil weren’t as sour on Russians as we thought… and maybe under MacT with all his talk about “size with skill” will make the Oil even less sour on Russians.

Probably not… but if Monahan is gone… let’s hope that is the case.

At any rate, this is hot for your Saturday afternoon chores:

godot10: But the players they have to add are all cheap ones, 4 depth forwards, and one depth defensemen.If they get offered a real D, they will take him, and figure a way around a short term problem via a trade or a compliance buyout.

Good point.

Might be tough to find 5 at $500K, but you never know.

Ducey:
    gogliano,

We can attribute all kinds of nefarious reasons why the Oilers would not take Nichushkin but there is a pretty good reason not to.If he is not committed to playing in the NHL he may not sign a contract in time so that he won’t re-enter the draft.If he does sign, he is likely to use the KHL as leverage to get later contracts higher than his worth.

I expect that what he says at the combine will be key.

I expect the top 7-10 teams to have very specific discussions with Nichuskin about his future plans.

Stu said there is really no difference between Barkov and Nichuskin as they are both under contract in European Pro leagues.

If he says his plan to to come and someone trusts it, they’ll take him.

Also,

There is no leverage for rookies past getting the rookie max and Nichuskin will get the rookie max if/when he comes over.

73. fuzzy muppet says:

Woodguy,

That’s my concern. Isn’t his deal in the KHL something like 2 years for 10 million?? Why would he come over here to make half as much money? Has he ever said he wants to play in N.A.?

74. Gret99zky says:

No to trading down.

No to trading Yakupov.

Yes to trading 2nd rounders for higher picks MBS feels will cover their bets.

75. RickDeckard says:

Interesting article, some quotes

“Nichushkin made himself available to a small group of media and shared his thoughts on the draft and playing in North America. According to the interview the young Russian will attend both the NHL Combine and the NHL Draft”

“Nichushkin proudly stated he hopes the Philadelphia Flyers or the New York Rangers draft him.”

“Nichushkin plans to follow in the footsteps of fellow countryman Vladimir Tarasenko, who spent the first two post-draft seasons in the KHL honing his skills before stepping right into the St. Louis Blue’s lineup this year.”

The article ends with a picture of Yakupov and Nichuskin high fiving and the author speculating that the Yak connection and Nichushkin’s power forward nature might entice Edmonton to pick him. An interesting view from the outside.

speeds:
    godot10,

wonder what they think of Petry?

The main problem with the Oilers is that they are two defensemen short. Trading a real one for a draft pick makes them 3 short.

77. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

Ducey,

Who at this site would trust a bookje? No downside on loser pays directly.

78. speeds says:

Ducey:
    gogliano,

I expect that what he says at the combine will be key.

The time frame that it takes for him to come over may be an issue, but as I understand it draft re-entry is not a concern. Firstly, in the new CBA, teams control the rights of European draftees for 4 years instead of 2 years as was the case in the previous CBA. Secondly, again, as I understand it, Russians are exempted from the 2 year (now 4 year) limit anyhow since there is no transfer agreement with Russia – teams hold the rights to those players beyond whatever the CBA says for Europeans.

As an example, Kuznetsov was drafted by WSH in 2010, if it weren’t the case that WSH retained his rights for longer than the CBA indicates he would have been a draft re-entry in 2012 under the old CBA.

79. speeds says:

godot10: The Oilers don’t have enough defensemen to trade any of the ones they have that are actually defensemen.

The main problem with the Oilers is that they are two defensemen short.Trading a real one for a draft pick makes them 3 short.

Sure, I was just hinting at combining the rumor floated earlier in the thread re: Weber; a series of moves including Yakupov in a deal for Weber, and move Petry, in a package for a draft pick that would leave EDM with the 5th and 7th OV picks

Not saying that’s something the Oilers should or shouldn’t do, or that NSH would consider, or that CAR would consider, just outlining a series of moves.

80. RickDeckard says:

There is no way that Nashville trades Weber this year. They cannot possibly justify paying him $27M for one season. This upcoming season will cost them only $1M so they will trade him in June 2014 if they are planning on trading him.

81. FastOil says:

Woodguy,

“Weber for Yak+Klef+1st”

Personally I think that would devastate the team, I really hope that doesn’t happen or is even being considered. Phaneuf is comparable in the bubble charts and I am sure could be had for far less given he seems to be having his issues in TO. Maybe Hemsky and one of the 2nd’s and a third or the like.

My preference would be to sign a stable vet that can defend 1st comp and make a good pass and not worry about his offense. One of Klefbom, Marincin, or Gernat will hopefully be solid enough in a few years and they are already bought and paid for. The team just needs bridge players.

Giving up that much talent based on one guy not named Doughty, Lidstrom, or CFP being super dominant seems like one of Woodguy’s $100 for $50 deals. Trading 10-15 years of 3 good or very good players for 4-5 years of one very good player (Weber’s 28 YO season coming up). And that contract. The chances of it being an overall benefit seem really low. I just don’t see Weber as that good or worth that much moola.

82. Ducey says:

speeds,

Good to know. Still its cold comfort if he doesn’t come over.

And I know there is a cap for ELC’s. But after that you are dealing with an RFA and UFA that has some extra leverage on you.

83. supernova says:

ashley: Yeah, Moroz isn’t even in that long list.How can that be?He was picked at #32.

Can you imagine if we had picked Murray and Moroz last year?Pronman obviously wouldn’t have agreed.

Moroz isn’t on that list but if you notice almost all the Oil Kings drafted were higher than their spot on this list.

This happens a lot with the teams in the CHL that play deep into the memorial cup.

84. supernova says:

Woodguy: CAR doesn’t have room for Edler’s contract unless they move out $.

Just adding Edler and they are at $61.65MM with 18 players

$2.65MM to sign 5 players doesn’t work unless they are all $500K players.

GODOT10
    Woodguy,

I think Carolina and Tampa Bay are the most likely to be active with their picks.

I don’t really see either as good trading partners for the Oilers unless they are moving back in a pure picks deal.

Carolina will be really active either at the draft, compliance buyouts, or at the start of free agency. As they are desperate for playoff gates. Same with Tampa but probably not as desperate plus they have a few young top 6 type forwards on the way.

Some team looking for a top level scorer will be targeting Tampa. I am thinking Columbus and possibly Calgary. Both teams have the necessary first rounders and Columbus has the Defenceman that Tampa might want.

Columbus would love to recapture some market cache with acquiring a Drouin or a Mackinnon

85. RickDeckard says:

speeds,

That’s true. Alexei Emelin was drafted in 2004 and didn’t sign over until recently.

86. Rondo says: