ROAD TRIP!

I rarely tell people what to do (it’s a pet peeve–”you know what you should do”–gack!) but in this case I’m going to gently suggest we take a road trip over to mc79 hockey’s latest blog post (up today).

It is here.

Fascinating stuff. I’m the sort who has to read it over a few times before it hits my brain, but’s a fascinating item and worth the read.

28 Responses to "ROAD TRIP!"

1. VanOil says:

Sobering and interesting trip, in 4 parts no less. I will need time to think about it as it raises a lot of questions. Well worth the journey. It will be interesting to see where it takes us.

2. MrEd says:

Love the game. Hate that for some reason a man like Lars Eller has to sustain that type of injury while playing it. Nothing short of retarded.

3. fuzzy muppet says:

Off topic, but Bergevin should win the Best GM award on the Subban contract alone.

He is impressive as hell

4. Derek says:

fuzzy muppet:

He is impressive as hell

Taking a team from third last overall in the NHL to outshooting their opposition at a 3:1 rate in the playoffs over the course of one year is also a pretty neat trick.

That Subban deal will come back to bite him in the ass soon enough. Unless the kid doesn’t have any mean streak at all, he’ll gut the Habs the minute he can in contract talks.

6. Lucinius says:

Derek,

Markov being back and healthy is a big reason for that, imo.

Imagine the difference in the Oilers if Whitney had been his old 100% to start this year. It would have been a massive boost to the Oilers.. and likely a difference of 5-6 games easy.

As for the Eller injury.. sorry, but that is part of hockey and is Diaz’ fault. Suicide pass and then boom, clean, hard hit that punishes that exact thing.

7. BlacqueJacque says:

I agree, but almost all of Subban’s points are on the power play. Montreal finds itself in a similar situation as Edmonton with Gagner. Limited sample, numbers that may be optimistic. Of course, Montreal was smart enough to sign him for two. They did lowball him, and that may piss him off. I know I would be, and I’d remember that for future negotiations.

The Oilers arguably overpaid Gagner for a single year that gave them a terrible sample size just as he seemed to break out. Sam was ice cold the last dozen games, though, which brings down his asking price hopefully but leaves questions as to his ability to sustain. Moreover, I feel – as someone who has spent half a decade defending him – that there is reason to be concerned about whether or not he cheated for offense.

Blacque Jacque: I think the difference is that Subban is a very rare player type.

9. Henry says:

I’m glad you pointed everyone to Dellow’s series. That is an impressive amount of research. I’m a professional scientist and it is taking me longer to digest it than it probably took him to write.

10. RickDeckard says:

fuzzy muppet,

It looks good now but he’s going to be in a world ot hurt when subban wants $8M in 2014.

11. BlacqueJacque says:

Good point. Sam is sort of a dime a dozen guy if he doesn’t regularly put up more than 60 points. Smaller forward with suspect defence, average speed and good hands.

I really feel that Nashville and Detroit would be the best destinations for Gagner. Those are teams that know how to work around a players deficiencies, or how to address them. Especially defensive slacking. There’s no room for Gagner’s bullshit with a guy like Trotz or Babcock, not with the management support and established presence they have.

But what does either team have to offer us that they’d part with? Fourth overall is an overpay. Forsberg is an underpay. Detroit has a superstar at the end of his prime, a fading star in Zetterberg, some key, aging veterans and a whole lot of duct tape and cardboard.

12. BlacqueJacque says:

I’d love to get Kindl out of Detroit but I don’t see Holland doing that trade.

13. Derek says:

BlacqueJacque:

I agree, but almost all of Subban’s points are on the power play.Montreal finds itself in a similar situation as Edmonton with Gagner.Limited sample, numbers that may be optimistic.Of course, Montreal was smart enough to sign him for two.They did lowball him, and that may piss him off.I know I would be, and I’d remember that for future negotiations.

The Oilers arguably overpaid Gagner for a single year that gave them a terrible sample size just as he seemed to break out.Sam was ice cold the last dozen games, though, which brings down his asking price hopefully but leaves questions as to his ability to sustain.Moreover, I feel – as someone who has spent half a decade defending him – that there is reason to be concerned about whether or not he cheated for offense.

In a season where everyone is asking or inferring that Gagner is cheating for offense his corsi % plummets and his points for go up, while both his and especially Hemskys Multi-SAF shifts drop. Might this be a case of all three forwards remaining deep in the O zone? With no high man on offense, a SAF leading to a change in possession, or just a turnover leads to an odd man rush the other way. With no high man, the D are unable to pinch effectively therefore the puck leaves the offensive zone after one SAF. If the D does pinch and gets caught its a potential 3 on 1 the other way.

I guess I should go watch some archived games, but these playoffs are much more interesting than re-hashing another terrible Oilers season,

14. FastOil says:

Tyler’s work is impressive, especially in effort.

This might be a good time to make a point I think needs to be raised. Given it is known what peak years are typically for every position, for example the worst made contract for a forward ends at 28 YO, typically the crest of their peak years. Sure the agents are pushing for that, fine. Deal with it, every business person has to deal with someone attempting to pick their pocket.

A good GM should be looking to control the player through 30-31 YO, past their peak and dealing them for max value based on rep to replenish the team, unless he decides to retire the player, which is foolish in nearly every circumstance if ongoing success is the goal. Very well thought out fair bridge contracts are key.

If Subban is worth 8M when he’s up, he’ll also be worth a king’s ransom in trade. I think Tyler’s work may be showing that defenseman may not be worth huge contracts outside of the very few, as we have learned goalies aren’t.

15. BlacqueJacque says:

The Kings lose! Quick gave up a softy there.

16. Lucinius says:

BlacqueJacque,

And Howard’s let in two soft ones to get Anaheim back into the game there, in the third.

Just glad Toronto lost last night and Montreal lost tonight.

17. BlacqueJacque says:

Lucinius,

I stopped watching.

CBC has some crazy news right now. Conservatives spent $288 to update a ship design they bought from Norway… Just the design. And it’s not from scratch. That’s about ten times what it should cost, and three times what it costs countries like Norway and Denmark to actually design and build one of those ships. Labour is even more expensive there so..,

18. BlacqueJacque says:

$288 million. Can’t edit on my phone.

19. Lucinius says:

BlacqueJacque,

Yeah, that’s the Conservatives. I’d comment more but I’ll forego doing so because, y’know.. politics.

But.. tied game. Howard’s let the Ducks do it. Three soft goals.

20. VanOil says:

BlacqueJacque,

Wow this is really bad news, it makes the Oilers management look good. I was hoping that Canada would find the wisdom and copy the German F125 frigate for the fighting ships they are planing. If they can not copy as slush breaker design who knows how bad the big contracts will get.

21. Ribs says:

The latest Fussy Britches offerings….

Eric Belanger has been told he will not be back with the Oilers APG

Oilers have talked to Omark, considering coming back APG

Oilers interested in adding Huddy to coaching staff APG

Oilers have not told Ales Hemsky that he would be moved APG

Oilers offered Smyth Mike Sillingers job APG

MacT not totally convinced that Krueger is the coach for the Oilers As per Garfield

Oilers have asked the Predators permission to speak to Weber As per Garfield

Mac T scouting Nathan Horton Andrew Ferrence as potential UFA signing As per Garfield

All sounds good to me!

22. DoubleJ says:

So you have proof that Hemsky doesn’t know how to play a system? I’m not sure, but that’s been pointed out before.
    The guy plays what ever way he wants.

23. Rocknrolla says:

Ribs:
    The latest Fussy Britches offerings….

Eric Belanger has been told he will not be back with the Oilers APG

Oilers have talked to Omark, considering coming back APG

Oilers interested in adding Huddy to coaching staff APG

Oilers have not told Ales Hemsky that he would be moved APG

Oilers offered Smyth Mike Sillingers job APG

Oilers have asked the Predators permission to speak to Weber As per Garfield

All sounds good to me!

Ya…saw all those. That’s quite the haul of info. Anyone know who this girl is or have any theories on Garfield?

I saw someone say “sure Tencer”, as if it may be him. Could make sense that its Tencer getting his info form the fat cat Stauffer “Garfield”.

Any other attempts?

24. art vandelay says:

I’ll save everyone the trip over to mc79 and all the reading it implies: The Oilers finished where they did because they got outscored, in more games than not, by the opposition.
    There you be.
    Where’s my research grant?

art vandelay:
    There you be.
    Where’s my research grant?

You are my sunshine

My only sunshine

You make me happy

When skies are grey

You’ll never know dear

How much I love you

Please don’t take my sunshine away

26. BlacqueJacque says:

Weber means one of Eberle/Yakupov gone. Not only because of the price of getting Weber, but because of cap considerations.

27. Mark-LW says:

That Weber item doesn’t make sense. He is under contract, don’t they need to be requesting to speak ABOUT Weber with Poile?

28. BlacqueJacque says:

Mark-LW,

Because before you bring a guy worth that much over, it would be a good idea to make sure he wants to come.

No point trading Yakupov for him if he demands a trade the following season.