RYAN JONES RE 12-13: FADE AWAY

Ryan Jones is at a bit of a crossroads with the Oilers. A new coach healthy scratched him a few times and the new GM had some nice things to say but riffed the “we’re in discussions about where we want to go with Ryan” line at his media conference.

Ryan Jones 10-11

• 5×5 points per 60: 1.38 (7th among regular forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 3.63 (4th among regular forwards)
  • Qual Comp: 10th toughest faced among regular forwards
  • Qual Team: 10th best available teammates among regular forwards
  • Corsi Rel: -11.1 (worst among regular forwards)
  • Zone Start: 49.7% (8th easiest among regular forwards)
  • Zone Finish: 49.4% (11th best among regular forwards)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 126/14.3% (2nd among F’s)
  • Boxcars: 81gp, 18-7-25
  • Plus Minus: -5 on a team that was -52

Ryan Jones 11-12

• 5×5 points per 60: 1.46 (tied for 7th among regular forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 5.40 (3rd among regular forwards)
  • Qual Comp: 7th toughest faced among regular forwards
  • Qual Team: tied for 8th best available teammates among regular forwards
  • Corsi Rel: -2.9 (9th best among regular forwards)
  • Zone Start: 44.6% (3rd toughest, 12th easiest among regular forwards)
  • Zone Finish: 48.6% (9th best among regular forwards)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 137/12.4% (4th among F’s >100shots)
  • Boxcars: 79, 17-16-33
  • Plus Minus: -7 on a team that was -26

Ryan Jones 12-13

• 5×5 points per 60: 1.38 (7th among regular forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: nil
  • Qual Comp: 14th toughest faced among regular forwards
  • Qual Team: 5th best available teammates among regular forwards
  • Corsi Rel: -1.0 (5th best among regular forwards) (-13.85 CorsiON)
  • Zone Start: 45.4% (10th toughest, 6th easiest among regular forwards)
  • Zone Finish: 46.8% (12th best among regular forwards)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 38/5.26% (8th among F’s >35shots)
  • Boxcars: 25, 2-5-7
  • Plus Minus: E on a team that was -15
  1. What do these numbers tell us? His offense at 5×5 remains consistent, and certainly covers the bet for a 4th line winger. The MacT quote about “non-factor” doesn’t apply to Jones on the offense–he has scored 18 and 17 goals in previous seasons and his CorsiRel was solid. He also had a tough luck season by shooting percentage and still managed to impact the offense at his usual level.
  2. Is the eye injury a concern? For Jones, the timing is horrible. The entire season was bad news for him. The club struggled, he couldn’t help and then the shooting percentages rolled snake eyes more often than normal. Plus of course the coach healthy scratched him and that’s a factor in projecting into the future. Role players often lose their jobs after a season like this one.
  3. I can just feel the love. The problem I have with Jones is this:  he’s an offensive player but not the best option for offense, and the role he fills because of that is the Pisani role. I absolutely believe that’s what the healthy scratches were about this season. Jones is an offensive player on a team with #1 overalls out the wazoo, and he’s in the spot in the batting order where Daniel Winnick should be right now. It’s not his fault, it’s just terrible roster choices coming home to roost.
  4. How much did Krueger play him compared to Renney? Under Renney a year ago, Jones was 8th at EVs among regular forwards with 12:06 a game. He was 2nd in SH TOI with 2:28 and 10th in PP with 51 seconds a game. Under Krueger this year, he was 10th at EVS among regular forwards with 11:15 a game. He was 8th in SH TOI with 1:23 and average 19 seconds a night on the PP.
  5. David Staples says he’s an excellent penalty killer. Well, coach Krueger cut his PK time in half and that suggests a loss of confidence in the player. I don’t want to beat him up too badly about it, because the vision issue may be real and it’s not fair to light him up over an injury.
  6. How much less did he play a game? This year, Jones was on the ice for 13 minutes a night all in, last year it was 15:25, so about 2.5 minutes a game lost.
  7. Who played the major PK minutes, the wingers ahead of Jones? Petrell 2:35, Smyth 2:31. Jones was the #1 PK option among wingers last season under Renney.
  8. So maybe it is the injury? Yes. It could be. I sincerely hope he recovers completely.
  9. Why did Krueger healthy scratch him so much? Well, first I think it was three or four times so we’re not talking about a major demotion. Still, it was the coach’s choice to go with Petrell and Ryan Smyth during many of the important games. PK was part of it, but I also think Jones gets in trouble by chasing the offense and abandoning the responsibilities too quickly.
  10. He got back into the lineup at the end of the season. When Petrell was hurt.
  11. The new GM said nice things about him. MacT: “He’s a great teammate and he’s a guy we hold in high esteem for his core values. We’re in discussions where we want to go with Ryan.”
  12. What do you think that means? I think it’s really easy to turn the page on the entire bottom 6F.
  13. Why this song? Well, it’s about change–and more than that, change that is out your control. It’s not a fun thing for anyone, and for someone like Jones–who might have gone on for years scoring 15 goals a year and being a terrific teammate–this season has been a real kick in the head. Now, he’s a free agent coming off a season that did not resemble the previous two, there are some questions about his health and there is new management in town. Man, that’s a recipe for disaster.
  14. Maybe they sign him to a one year contract at low money and trade Hartikainen? I believe Craig MacTavish rebuilds that bottom 6F in a way that gives his coach as many options as possible. If MacT can find a way to use Jones’ offense effectively while also filling all the other holes then Jones may be back next season.

12 Responses to "RYAN JONES RE 12-13: FADE AWAY"

1. D says:

Hope they find a way to keep him. He reminds me of a present day Dave Lumley (attitude-wise).

2. jonrmcleod says:

If the Oilers could find a way to prevent Jones from stepping on banana peels, maybe I’d be OK with him staying.

3. Spydyr says:

It is time to overhaul the bottom six.He is not a physical player..The team can do better.

4. OilLeak says:

Jones constantly cheats for offense and is a defensive liability, I’m getting sick and tired of Jones flying the zone when the puck is still pinned in the Oilers end. Good teams have Jones as their 13th forward and not so good teams have him in a 4th line role. The Oilers of course have no depth so he becomes a 3rd line player. The bottom half of this roster needs to be completely replaced or the team will wallow at the bottom of the conference for eternity.

5. Hammers says:

As you said timing is everything and that hurt Jones but to be honest this team needs a totall shake up and i’m guessing he will be out , not in. The youngsters need to see a shakeup and new teamates that push them may help a lot . Hall maybe learning a few things playing for Canada , actually Ebs as well . They sort of have gurantees with the Oil but must realize that’s not the case on good teams .

6. Ducey says:

Jones is just another pretty boy on a team that needs more ugly.

Go Barons!

4m

Same #OKCBarons lines as Game 1: Cornet-Arcobello-Cheechoo, Rajala-Lander-Hartikainen, Green-Stretch-Pitlick, Hordichuk-VandeVelde-Tyrvainen

4m

#OKCBarons D-Pairs: Marincin-Fedun, Davidson-Stafford, Jones-Hotham. Yann Danis in net with Niko Hovinen backing up! #JoinTheFight

9. Lucinius says:

And the Penguins win. Feh. Refs were way too one sided in the series. If the Canuck fans thought they had something to complain about the Isle fans definitely do.

10. Halfwise says:

Would Cheechoo have a chance as the #4RW in the fall?

11. vishcosity says:

Just read the mom thread, and for those with moms full of things beyond fear and pharma, may you all be great because of them. Don’t want to derail that thread with my jade while this thread seems fair game.

The idea that the bubble graphs rate Weber and Phaneuf similarly is no surprise here. I wouldn’t have traded for Weber or Suter until I saw them play apart, Weber at last year’s price seemed iffy, trading Yak for him now seems crazy town complete.

If I were Taylor Hall and they traded Yak, then gave me the C, I bet I’d feel like I’d arrived. I’d be inclined to focus on family and sofas, as though I had become a tenured prof with an ego fully matured in LA. Keeping Yak then giving the C to anyone except them, the two would push each other endlessly. Both want desperately to be the #1, and the heights they’d likely reach are why Adam Smith loved capitalism so.

As king of hockey canada, I would do everything in my power to develop a competitive system. Initially I’d keep the current system as is but work tirelessly to build a new and wholly underfunded shadow system needing creative thinking and innovation just to survive. If centralized government has proved anything its that monopolies become immediately complacent: NorthStars hockey, KC, and inevitably thousands of others all over the nation. When innovation is required, arrowhead defense is developed, Bobby Orr becomes a 4th forward, and people start shooting free throws over hand. New thinking is critical for the maintenance of a dynasty, without it Chrysler needs Iacocca. And no one wants to need Lee.

Keeping Yak and Hall battling for the team’s #1 is the most critical thing I think this organization must do. I don’t want everyone to get along. They NEED Reggie Jackson. I want the Russian Tartar to get his own loyal group by lifting weights while the existing guard gets hammered in the new and trendy bar. I think its critical they draft the big Russian and for D immediately bounce Eberle through the first open door.

I want internal competition. Hockey Canada has none, government has none, the courts have absolutely none, and they’re all way overweight. Trading Yak will, imo, guarantee a series of 1st round exits and the Oiler’s opportunity will fade away, comfortable, happy, and wasted.

And I’d probably keep Ryan Jones because from my little bit of Oil Change knowledge he is the comedic version of Jonathan Edwards. I think Yak needs a couple Puritans to balance the traditional and inevitable alcoholism of the current Canadian (last placed) regime.

12. Maestro Fresh Mess says:

He would have to accept a pay cut . I would be okay with 1 year/ $950k. Otherwise no.