RYAN WHITNEY RE 12-13: ATLANTIC CITY

Ryan Whitney arrived in Edmonton and tore  up the blacktop for 35 games. Since then, it’s been a steep decline with no signs that encourage better days. Ryan Whitney is at a crossroads.

Ryan Whitney 10-11

• 5×5 points per 60: 1.58 (1st among Oil D, 2nd in NHL)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 2.91 (3rd among Oil D)
  • Qual Comp: 3rd toughest among D
  • Qual Team: worst available among D
  • Corsi Rel: .6 (6th best among D)
  • Zone Start: 53.4% (3rd easiest among D)
  • Zone Finish: 50.6% (4th best among D)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 43 shots/2 goals 4.7% (4th best)
  • Boxcars: 35gp, 2-25-27
  • Plus Minus: +13 on a team that was -52

Ryan Whitney 11-12

• 5×5 points per 60: 0.62 (4th among Oil D)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 5.41 (1st among Oil D, 3rd in NHL)
  • Qual Comp: 5th toughest among D
  • Qual Team: 4th best available among D
  • Corsi Rel: -8.5 (7th best among D)
  • Zone Start: 51.4% (2nd easiest among D)
  • Zone Finish: 45.3% (7th and last among D)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 41 shots/3 goals 7.3% (2nd best)
  • Boxcars: 51, 3-17-20
  • Plus Minus: -16 on a team that was -26

Ryan Whitney 12-13

• 5×5 points per 60: 0.71 (5th among regular Oil D)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 4.25 (2nd among regular Oil D)
  • Qual Comp: 4th toughest among D
  • Qual Team: 2nd best available among D
  • Corsi Rel: -12.4 (worst among regular D) (-19.76 CorsiON, 3rd worst in NHL among D)
  • Zone Start: 45.0% (toughest among regular D)
  • Zone Finish: 46.9% (7th and last among D)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 30 shots/13.30% (best among D–30 or more shots)
  • Boxcars: 34, 4-9-13
  • Plus Minus: -7 on a team that was -15
  1. What do these numbers tell us? Once again, he was a shadow of his former self. He played bottom pairing most of the  season and his Corsi numbers were a disaster. It was insane watching some writers and commentators expressing outrage when Tambellini couldn’t deal him for a 2nd. Ryan Whitney was not performing at replacement level–who would acquire him when every club has one or two guys in the minors who can basically do the same or better?
  2. How can these numbers be better? His new reality means that Ryan Whitney is probably looking at a different spot on an NHL depth chart. I imagine he’ll perform better when he adjusts to his new style.
  3. What does he do well? Headman pass. It’s beautiful.
  4. When will this injury get better? You’re not paying attention.
  5. Sorry, Marcus freaking Welby. Remember our audience.
  6. Sorry, Quincy. Not there yet, and he was a coroner.
  7. Sorry, Dr. Oz. Much better.
  8. Look, he could get better. He could return to previous form. MacT said nice things about him. Yeah. MacT “Ryan Whitney: we’re all going to move on there and wish him all the best. He handled a pretty difficult situation fairly well I thought, he was always very complimentary to the city and the team. That’s not always easy to do, especially for a veteran that’s finding himself in a situation he’s very unfamiliar with. We’ll move down the road on Ryan.”
  9. What does that mean in English: We’d like to thank Ryan for not getting caught in the hallway with a reporter, camera and a working microphone.
  10. But Whitney took it well. Sure. Whitney: “This year, I was pegged in a spot as a fifth or sixth defenceman, battling to stay there … at some point it didn’t matter because I knew I wasn’t getting higher. First meeting with Ralph (Krueger) before the season, I was told I was in the bottom pair. It was set in stone. I got scratched a game against Vancouver, came back and played against Colorado and Ralph talked about a new start for me. I was with Jeff Petry, but for one period. I’d never mention a player’s name, but there were other players who could have been scratched at times, but never were.”
  11. Wow. Who was he talking about? You’re kidding. You followed the team all year but don’t know who he was pointing at?
  12. Fistric, Potter. Da.
  13. That’s brutal. Da.
  14. What’s the most damning thing you can say about Ryan Whitney? He had an unfortunate happenstance and it impacted his ability to play the game he loves.
  15. You’re terrible at this. TRY! In a summer when Craig MacTavish will spend every waking moment trying to find a big, puck moving defender who can play defense, he did not hesitate to walk away from Ryan Whitney.
  16. Why this song? It’s about a new day, except it’s all wrong and the die is cast and the hero is doomed. It’s doomsday, and all the characters know it.

33 Responses to "RYAN WHITNEY RE 12-13: ATLANTIC CITY"

1. regwald says:

Sorry, totally off topic, but just registered. Anyone else registered for the MacT phone conference on Thursday night ?

————–

Thank you for registering for the Oilers TeleForum with GM Craig MacTavish. Your phone number will be called on Thursday, May 23 around 7:00pm (MT). When you answer your phone, you will automatically be placed into the call.

We look forward to having you on the call and join in the conversation.

Thank you from your Edmonton Oilers.

No. Sounds cool though.

3. Gerta Rauss says:

The whole thing is a shame-another bad bet made by the org and after it all crashes on the rocks they look around with a dumbfounded look on their faces like “who could have seen this coming..?”

Well, anybody paying attention could have told you–and many did–that expecting Whitney to play in the top 4 was a recipe for disaster.

I also believe that Whitney was taking a shot a Justin Schultz with the “other players” comment.

It’s a damn shame.

4. iHockeyWpg says:

Another off topic question: Any idea what happened to Friedman’s 30 thoughts?

5. Truth says:

Ryan Whitney will be a great addition to a really good NHL team’s AHL affiliate.

6. Chunklets says:

It strikes me that there are very very very many Bruce Springsteen songs that could serve to accompany the Ryan Whitney piece (“Atlantic City” most certainly among them)! :)

7. regwald says:

No. Sounds cool though.

I will try to record and post notes from the call for those interested.

Chunklets:

The Wrestler was the one I was going to go with, but it’s too mean. One legged references etc.

9. Southern Oil says:

There have been a few moves recently (past 5 years say) that you could defend if there was something else in the equation. For example – I was expecting Gilbert for Schultz + ‘something’. Ryan Whitney was another trade where I kept expecting ‘something.’ Vis was just a better player. Now he’s gone and we can stop waiting. He’ll figure it out sooner rather than later unfortunately. Seems like a good guy as well. A real shame.

Ryan, hope you can find that “really good team” and play top 4 minutes……..

10. Chunklets says:

I hadn’t even thought of that one – it’s waaaaay up there on the “raw” meter!

Chunklets:

I hadn’t even thought of that one – it’s waaaaay up there on the “raw” meter!

I couldn’t do it. Stupid Jehovah’s Witness upbringing!

12. leadfarmer says:

Man, Tyler Seguin working his way down the depth chart and out of a big payday.

13. Spydyr says:

regwald:

————–

We look forward to having you on the call and join in the conversation.

Thank you from your Edmonton Oilers.

Must be only for the first tier fans.You know the only ones that matter.

14. Rondo says:

Toronto chokes again

15. RickDeckard says:

leadfarmer,

Second line bust

And holy cow, that puck.

16. asiaoil says:

Does anyone think that Gagner could be even half as gritty and effective as Couture? I don’t and that’s why we should sell high now. Gawd I wish we had Couture instead of soft Sammy right now – we would have ZERO issues at center.

Is is just me or is the TSN crew still very butt-hurt about SJS beating the Dys? They are absolutely fawning over the Kings and making every possible excuse for them. I’ll be up front about adopting SJS this year but the TSN boys seem like a Kings home crew.

17. rickithebear says:

asiaoil: Does anyone think that Gagner could be even half as gritty and effective as Couture? I don’t and that’s why we should sell high now.

of the top 60 scoring centers;
    11 were top 20/60
    In hits, Blocks, Takeaways.
    only 8 were more productive than gagner who was in the 11.

Couture was not!

You are speaking out your ASS!

18. Dahoosman says:

Stauffer was pretty clear that Whitney’s comments were targeted at Nick Schultz and not anyone else. Nick took his spot in the lineup and his “A”. And if you’re a “saw him good” kind of guy, he may not have appeared to be that much better. He wasn’t a better quote, that’s for sure.

19. Rebilled says:

Phil Jackson new book, Eleven Rings.

Lowe needs six more. Yes¡

20. asiaoil says:

rickithebear: of the top 60 scoring centers;
    11 were top 20/60
    In hits, Blocks, Takeaways.
    only 8 were more productive than gagner who was in the 11.

Couture was not!

You are speaking out your ASS!

21. Spartacus says:

Whitney is the Chicken Man and it was his ankle that was blown up?

Hey Whitney, are those your legs or are you riding a chicken?

I dunno, Atlantic City is a good tune, but I always found the opening line peculiar.

22. rickithebear says:

asiaoil: Your buddy absolutely disappeared when the going got even remotely tough in the last 10 games of the season. Gagner would be under a blankey whimpering in games like the SJS/LA or LA/STL series. Nobody takes Gagner over Couture in a straight swap – well may nobody but you……

21forwards for SJS in playoffs.
    #1 Thornton +6
    #4 Gomez +2
    # 21 couture -3
    I
    Yup real force! Or are you referring to his 3 GWG.
    Cause they are more important than the
    game tying goals
    That first goal
    Get you back in the game goal.
    The go ahead goal.

23. bill needle says:

With regards to the Twitter quote at the beginning, it shouldn’t be too difficult for Whitney to prove the Oilers wrong. It’s not like they have Stephen Hawking running the show there these days.

24. nelson88 says:

asiaoil,

I do. Big fan of Couture and for the right deal the Oilers should trade Gagner for a big skilled, 2nd line C that can win face-offs or a top pairing Dman. Having said that. Questioning Gagner’s grit and passion are way off base. Plenty of examples but watching him feed Kessler a few rights when Sam was just an 18 year old rookie is but one. Spilled beer all over my wife cheering for him ;)

Gagner may end up not fitting in the cap structure or be the piece they need but his effort, determination and “stones” are absolutely not the problem.

25. nelson88 says:

p.s. Asia, I was referring to your post questioning Gagner being half as gritty and effective as Couture. As respects to making a straight up trade? Maybe I lean towards Couture due to the faceoff ability and size but it is pretty much a toss up. On a properly built/balanced team I’m betting Gagner also shines in playoff hockey. Let’s hope we see it sooner rather than later.

26. Cameron says:

“So, honey, last night I met this guy and Im gonna
    do a little favor for him”

I absolutely love this song, but especially the line above . t’s the exact moment you know the narrator is completely doomed, and that he knows it, but hasn’t got any other options. Like being in a parked car and looking out your window to see a truck barrelling towards you.

Off topic, but I can’t seem to get the Lowdown with Lowetide on my iPad. Is their a special trick? A handshake or a series of old Expo pitching signals I need to steal?

27. Cameron says:

Also, ‘the chicken man’ who gets blown up in Philly is a reference to an Italian mobster killed in his home by the Irish mob using a nail bomb.

28. Zipdot says:

Couture? I thought we were talking about Couturier?

29. Spartacus says:

Thanks for the insight into the lyrics, Cameron.

The Irish do love to blow shit up.

30. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Nebraska is the album I give people who casually say “I don’t like Springsteen” with an air of “rock music sucks” superiority.

regarding what Whitney is/was worth at the deadline… I think the big tell is going to be how much work it is for him to get a deal this off-season and the kind of deal he gets… the context will be different (no playoff rental situation)… but still it will tell a tale.

31. Factotum says:

Am I the only one who thought Whitney was referring to Justin Schultz as a player who could have been a healthy scratch a time or two? To my eye he played poorly enough at times to earn a seat in the press box.

32. Bruce McCurdy says:

Factotum: I’d never mention a player’s name, but there were other players who could have been scratched at times, but never were.”

Factotum:
    Am I the only one who thought Whitney was referring to Justin Schultz as a player who could have been a healthy scratch a time or two?To my eye he played poorly enough at times to earn a seat in the press box.

I read his precise words, especially the key word “never”, and am certain he wasn’t talking about Fistric & Potter at all, but about Schultz & Schultz. My guess is that Nick would be the primary one. Also a left d-man, veteran, well-paid, took Whitney’s “A” so I daresay there may be some bitterness. Also N.Schultz suffered through some dreadful stretches where he was never hinted to come out of the line-up, with only occasional periods in the bottom pairing.

33. OilLeak says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Except most of Nick Schultz’s bad stretches were never quite as horrific as Whitney’s everyday game.