Jim Matheson’s article about Ales Hemsky this weekend gives us a chance to discuss trade value. The idea of dealing Hemsky has been around for some time–there was a rumor he was headed to Nashville leading up to the deadline a couple of years back (for a 2 and a 4, apparently)–and the two year contract (plus the time to fulfill it) hasn’t really changed the lay of the land.
I wonder if Matheson either has inside info or has read the tea leaves (not difficult after MacT’s press conference), or maybe the organization has thrown out a trial balloon with the MacT verbal and Matheson is following things to their conclusion. Let’s review the exact wording of the GM:
- MacT: “For guys who’ve been here a long time and have suffered through this (rebuilding process), Ales has been a good Oiler for us. I don’t want to talk about him. There is a human side and the last thing I want to do is talk about a guy’s future without talking to him first.”
Matheson’s article is here and quotes Craig Button as wondering if the Oilers could get a 2nd rd pick for him (the Cogliano deal as a comparable). I think that’s the one way Hemsky might end up in Edmonton this fall–if there’s no value, MacT is better off keeping him at least until the deadline. Hemsky’s not 40 or anything, and a strong first half might improve trade value (if that’s an issue).
I do think MacT’s words and then the Matheson’s article suggests the organization has plans to move on. I can’t marry the GM’s comments to anything other than “he’s not in the plans.” As convenient as it would be to blame Matheson for this summer’s Hemsky deal, Craig MacTavish is the one who’ll pull the trigger.
If Hemsky was in the plans, MacT’s verbal would have been completely different than the words above. Hemmer’s gone, it’s only a matter of time.
The French online magazine ‘Hockey 30′ suggests the Edmonton Oilers will go hard after Viktor Stalberg, with Montreal also in the sweepstakes. The magazine says the Blackhawks are focused on bringing back Bryan Bickell. Jim Matheson also has the story, along with a writeup on Bo Horvat.
Reports have Daniil Zharkov signing with Torpedo (KHL). I doubt that’s an Oiler endorsed career move, and wonder if it further weakens their attachment to Valeri Nichushkin at #7 overall.
Today on Team 1260 at 10, the Lowdown with Lowetide hits the air. We’ll have quite a bit of open line time, so I’d like your input on Hemsky. Is he worth keeping around? If they do deal him, what’s a fair return? Scheduled to appear:
- Tyler Dellow from mc79 hockey. We’ll talk Hemsky, Taylor Hall at the WHC and Gareth Bale. Seriously.
- Shawn Mullin, pbp man for the Swift Current Broncos. We’ll talk Memorial Cup.
- Matt Gutsch from the U of A. We’ll talk football, golf and a few other things around the University.
- Eric Rodgers in OKC. We’ll talk about the tragic and devastating storm in the Oklahoma City area yesterday.
Text 101260 and you can also tweet @Lowetide_ plus of course there’s the comments section here. I’m really thrilled with the response to the show so far, thanks for listening and giving your input.
We do have room for more advertisers now, if you’d like to join the fun email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll send you some information.