SO THIS IS WHAT ‘ACTIVITY’ LOOKS LIKE!

Oiler fans are going to have to catch up to this–apparently when MacT goes to the world championships it’s for a REASON–folks, the guy is getting after it. After several years of “dull as dish water” the Oilers under new GM Craig MacTavish are newsmakers.

dreger coach snip

It looks like the Oilers are going to add a veteran NHL coach (Paul Maurice has apparently already been interviewed) and that is a big deal for two reasons: first, it indicates that the new GM feels Ralph’s lack of NHL experience has to be addressed. Pretty much all posters here–even the pro-Krueger folks like myself–fretted over line matchups and PP lineup choices and this that and the other. A veteran NHL coach could certainly help in that area.

The other thing of course is that the “associate coach” often ends up being the next coach, but let’s hope it’s the Sather-Muckler transition and involves Stanley’s for both men during their time as head coach.

THE ‘OVS HAVE IT!

belov1When it comes to Russian defensemen, the Oilers have had a little good fortune over the years. My favorites include Bo Mironov, Igor Ulanov and Denis Grebeshkov and I suspect this fellow is a ‘typical’ Russian in that he plays a 2-way game with a physical element and some chaos. Early comparisons have Elexei Yemelin in the conversation and that’s a very nice neighborhood.

Terry Jones has a great article up (published last night) and the MacT quotes are gold:

• MacT: “I expect him to make the team. We’re planning on starting the season with him with us next season.”
  • MacT: “We went over (to the WHC) watched him and very much liked what we saw. We’re excited to have him.”
  • MacT:It’s a move to trying to build more mobility into our back end. He moves the puck well. He makes quick decisions with the puck. He has a high skill level and competes hard. The expectation is that he’s going to come in and help us.”
  • MacT: “He’s big. He plays heavy. He’s got some toughness.”

Apparently he can play either side comfortably, so maybe we see a Smid-Petry, Schultz-Schultz, Klefbom-Belov combination, although something tells me there’s more activity on the way. Remember, MacT doesn’t just go places, he does things. The contract is $1.525M including bonuses, this fellow was making more in Russia. It’s a pretty cool signing all around.

Almeria_3

The Lowdown with Lowetide this morning at 10 on Team 1260 features a full lineup. Scheduled to appear:

68 Responses to "SO THIS IS WHAT ‘ACTIVITY’ LOOKS LIKE!"

1. Bank Shot says:

You know who else hired associate coaches and signed end of the roster defense men?

Tambellini. That’s who.

I’ll start getting excited when the Oilers make a move that results in a substantial upgrade to the roster.

2. LMHF#1 says:

Looks like a badass and YouTube indicates he’s got some crazy. Every good team needs a mildly crazy Russian.

As I said before, hopefully this is the first of a number of ‘free’ moves that could really help.

3. FrankenOil says:

Two things:

1) The fact that thry Oilers signed a veteran player to a 1!!! year contract. Granted this is the only length he can sign for under the ELC rules in the CBA, but, I’d rather take my chances on him on a 1-year deal then sign a mid-range UFA to a multi-year deal and then potentially get stuck with a guy who has little left or can’t live up to the contract (See Ben Eager, Ryan Smyth, Eric Belanger, etc, etc). There is risk if Belov’s hits it out of the park and suddenly the Oilers have a (nice) problem in re-signing him to more money. If he flunks out, he goes back to Russia and is off the books.

2)Form Jones’ article:

The way MacTavish talks “Step One” in surrounding the high-end young talent on this team with young veteran support players looks like a pretty good step.

The young veteran support is exactly what they should be doing. This means Eric Belanger types need not apply.

4. Racki says:

I like that MacTavish has been pretty active. I also really like Krueger too and think that bringing in a guy with the more technical skills (read: line matching) will really help.. it might help HIM grow as a coach. So even if that associate doesn’t take over, maybe Krueger will be a better coach through the experience.

Also, I hope people don’t expect Klefbom to start the season with us. It would probably be a miracle if that happened, given how much hockey he’s missed. Plus he hasn’t experience the NA game yet. He should start out in OKC for a while. I just don’t want him to be rushed like others. But if he somehow blends in right away after a good camp, that would be great.

BTW, not that this should come as a surprise, but Stauffer did confirm the Oilers are interested in Raanta. I guess he doesn’t tweet unless it involves the Oilers (“Do you think I’d be tweeting about it if they weren’t involved?”).

“Congratulations Anton with the signing of a new contract,” Yakupov told the Oilers’ official Twitter account.

6. Racki says:

They left out the : )))))))))))))))))))))))) part? :P

7. cdean says:

I think that MacT will bring the same level to the GM position as he did to the Head Coach position. Maybe not all of his decisions wont be great but he won’t be afraid to make them. This signing is little risk / high reward possibility. Doesn’t cost much in dollars or term.

8. DBO says:

So is this Belov signing like Brunner in Detroit? Is he an RFA or a UFA after the season?

Really hope we add a late 20′s vet and allow Klefbom to start in the minors. He needs icetime and more experience playing a physical game. Now if he clearly outplays someone, then great. But use the AHL for development. No harm in him starting down there, dominating and then coming up.

If MacT gets the goalie from Finland signed in the net few days he is off to a roaring and low risk start. The draft will be the real telling point of the MacT regime If he makes multiple moves with both players and pick position.

9. Rondo says:

A little music in the morning if you like Dylan and Neil Young

10. Wolfie says:

One more Russian to pull a “Crazy Ivan”. All we need now is a nuclear sub and we’re all set!

11. Racki says:

DBO:

I think because he’ll be 27 when the deal ends, he’ll be UFA.. (I don’t remember if the new CBA changed the age, but I’ll dig around)

Edit: yah, still 27.. someone can correct me if I’m wrong.

12. FrankenOil says:

@StapeNewsday: #Isles did not offer contracts to Brenden Kichton or Mitchell Theoret. Both may now be selected in the NHL Draft.

Kichton is a really interesting target. Big point producer in the WHL from the backend.

Via hockeydb.com:

Shoots Left, 6′-0″ and 190 lb
    2010-11: 64GP 23G 58A +55
    2011-12: 71GP 17G 57A +24
    2012-13: 71GP 22G 63A +39

Kichton apparently wan’t interested in signing with the Islanders and wanted to re-enter the draft.
    I know the Oilers are stacked with rookies on the blue next yr in OKC, but he’s a kid that would merit serious consideration (for me anyways) with a 2nd rounder.

13. Racki says:

FRANKENOIL:

Found this on Scouting Report:

The right hand shooting Kichton was overlooked in last year’s draft, mainly because he was buried a bit on the depth chart behind talented defenders Jared Spurgeon and Stefan Ulmer, both also right side defenders. Had Kichton had this kind of production in his draft year, one has to wonder how early he could have gone.

Kichton is an excellent skater, a great passer, and has terrific hockey sense, deftly able to join the rush and create chances. He’s also a very underrated player in his own end, with strong lateral play and good decision making. His shot could use some work, though he does seem to be able to get it through traffic more often than not. It’s definitely not a weakness.

Pros: Skating, hockey sense, passing
    Cons: Size, passed over in last year’s draft
    Skillset comparison: poor man’s Dan Boyle

Hockey’s Future rates him a 7D (but I also find they don’t always update these guys). Second round is probably too high, but does seem like it would be worth looking at.

14. sliderule says:

When talking to your guest about the combine ask if he knows why NHL doesn’t do on ice testing.

They could test accuracy of shot,velocity of shots speed coordination and agility on skates which is after all what the game is all about.

I know they do some of this testing at prospects game but the euros are not there .

15. Racki says:

BTW, forgot to mention, that quote above is from 2011, just so there is no confusion.

16. ashley says:

A very interesting signing. It looks like value added to the roster at no cost.

Hate to be Debbie Downer, but I’m not sure about the jubilation over “activity”. While I realize it makes for interesting reading and builds excitement for next season, is there any evidence that a GM being active makes a team better? What are other GM’s of successful organizations doing?

Obviously signings like this do, but I’m not really pining for crazy trades or hiring a hierarchy of coaches since they are as likely to be lateral moves (trade for balance) as they will improve things.

17. gcw_rocks says:

Bank Shot,

Well said, sir.

18. Truth says:

Kirill Tulupov is my favorite Russian signing. Too bad he wasn’t good at actual gameplay.

19. Smarmy says:

Another Associated coach? Are they going to move one of the assistants out? Too many chefs and all that.

20. Racki says:

Truth:
    Kirill Tulupov is my favorite Russian signing.Too bad he wasn’t good at actual gameplay.

21. Racki says:

ashley:
    A very interesting signing.It looks like value added to the roster at no cost.

Hate to be Debbie Downer, but I’m not sure about the jubilation over “activity”.While I realize it makes for interesting reading and builds excitement for next season, is there any evidence that a GM being active makes a team better?What are other GM’s of successful organizations doing?

You’re probably too used to Tambellini’s approach to things – wait and let it fix itself, and if it doesn’t… oh well.. another top pick! When you’re finished at or near the bottom 5 years in a row (and out of the playoffs for 7 straight), sitting on your hands and waiting is the last thing you want to do. Hell, even Shero in Pittsburgh was pretty active this year. That said, making a bunch of meaningless random moves won’t help.. but so far that hasn’t been MacT’s M.O. at all.

22. Zack says:

I’ve been following B. Kitchon for a couple of years now. The skinny on him is after his draft year he played right along side with Cowen (I think it was Cowen) and his numbers sky rocketed in every aspect. The following year he became top D-man but missed the presence of Cowen and that’s why his numbers dropped but increased again along with age/experience. I remember he was also invited to a Red Wings camp at one point so I’d think they may have interest and could possibly draft him in the third round or later. HF ranked him recently and for the longest time he had no ranking at all, believe me I checked frequently. All around I think he’d be a safe pick up in a later round and ready to play pro if I’m not mistaken.

Bank Shot:

Tambellini. That’s who.

The comparison is weak.

Belov made the Russian National team for the WHC. Tambellini That’s a few step above anything Tambellini ever added.

Tambellini’s FA D signings were: Potter. Strudwick, Foster. Barker

While Belov hasn’t played a game in the NHL, Im pretty comfortable with his scouting report and resume that he’s heads and tails above that group.

24. VOR says:

I have been trying to keep track of MacT’s first moves as a GM. I was hoping some of you might be able to help. So far I have it as being signing Martin Gernat, signing college free agent Andrew Miller, signing Frans Tuohimaa, and now the free agent signing of Anton Belov. Have I missed any moves?

25. jfry says:

there’s a 1-1 interview with macT at the combine, up at TSN.ca right now. looks like there will be a lot of interviews with the prospects up today too.

26. Truth says:

Smart move in bringing in an established North American coach. RK is great to have as motivator and someone that seems extremely approachable to the young guys on the Oilers. I believe he was in over his head at times with the systems he was trying to implement and in-game adjustments. The Oilers have probably the best “players” coach in RK, but they need an experienced hockey/systems coach to compliment him.

27. ashley says:

Racki: …That said, making a bunch of meaningless random moves won’t help.. but so far that hasn’t been MacT’s M.O. at all.

That’s just it. In the last few months we traded draft picks for Brown and Smithson. The year before we signed Petrell. The year before that we signed Potter, Belanger, Eager, Barker.

Did any of those really make a difference in the W/L column for us? Lots of activity though.

Last year the Flames had a much heralded signing in Cervenka, “The best player not in the NHL”. He sort of looked like barely an NHL player this year.

So Belov is an interesting signing and all, but we’ll see.

28. VOR says:

It isn’t only Kitchon who can play. Theoret really blossomed this year when traded to the Barrie Colts. I think both can reasonably expect to go much higher in this year’s draft. Which in turn means they are more likely to get a real chance with their new organizations. More than anything it is proof of how deep the Islanders are in young talent.

29. Truth says:

Racki: Those are some massive hits. In a lot of cases, he’d get burned at the NHL level throwing those, but those are some beauties. Weird how the video starts off with him in his underwear…

I know, hilarious. Those Russians…

His numbers in OKC weren’t all that bad in 11-12. 33gp – 8 pts – 71 pims – +2. The fact that he only played 33 and sat out the rest is a bit of a tell, but I can’t remember there being any buzz about him, positive or negative. Doesn’t matter anymore, I suppose.

30. Racki says:

ashley: That’s just it.In the last few months we traded draft picks for Brown and Smithson.The year before we signed Petrell.The year before that we signed Potter, Belanger, Eager, Barker.

Did any of those really make a difference in the W/L column for us?Lots of activity though.

Last year the Flames had a much heralded signing in Cervenka, “The best player not in the NHL”.He sort of looked like barely an NHL player this year.

So Belov is an interesting signing and all, but we’ll see.

Three things different this year.. one, new GM. Two, there is a very definite message being sent by the GM that this team is f—d up and in need of repair. Three, the GM is sending a strong message that we aren’t in the “suck phase” anymore.

Tambellini’s moves were mysterious. Mysterious in the sense that on one hand, it seemed like he was taking a stab at plugging holes… on the other hand, when they didn’t work, he didn’t seem to really be bothered by it enough to actually do anything about it. You couldn’t really tell if he was chalking it up to another rebuild year, or what.

MacTavish looks to be of a completely different philosophy. He fully recognizes that we’re wasting years right now, and this team needs to start winning finally. Missing the playoffs is killing this team. He knows this, has said it, and I think deserves an open mind while he constructs the team.

The crap thing is, these risks aren’t always going to pan out.. but eventually you run across a Brumner, or a Fasth. It’s worth a shot, as the risk is low.

His head is definitely in the right place, whereas with Tambellini, I had no clue whether he wanted this team to win now, or if he was still trying to keep it losing to get high picks. I am not confident that he knew either.

31. Romulus Apotheosis says:

VOR:

Were the Kessy/Reider and Ewanyk situations under MacT?

I can’t recall the timeline.

32. HeavySig says:

From the Islanders website: Brenden Kichton was drafted in the 5th round (127th overall) at the 2011 entry draft, his second year eligible.

Noteworthy listing: 5′ 10″ and 185 lbs.

Good WHL scoring stats for a defenseman, All-Star, Bill Hunter Trophy (best defenseman), etc.

Of course he is a 20 year old and should be dominating that group. He will likely be drafted higher this go-round, but I think second round would be a reach. Interesting prospect, overage and undersized or not, he was WHL Defenseman of the Year and has put up better than a Point Per Game for 3 seasons there.

A better version of Danny Syvret?

33. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Hey Scotchies,

any reviews on the Bowmore 12?

LCBO has a sale on but I haven’t tried it.

34. G Money says:

Racki:

Tambellini’s moves were mysterious.

I don’t enjoy jumping on the corpse of Tambo’s work, but ‘mysterious’ sure gives him a lot of credit!

Really, my observation was that:
    - more often than not, Tambo wasn’t acting out of patience, it seemed he really wasn’t aware of what the needs of the team were. This worked in his favour only because rebuilding does in fact require patience!
    - when he did indicate awareness (in his halting and obtuse way) of an issue, he often wouldn’t act, or would act too late
    - and when he did act, his moves were baffling or even harmful, as many here would point out (e.g. why trade a 4th rd pick for Smithson when Adam Hall was on waivers?).

So MacT’s head is in the right place … any opinions out there on where Tambo’s head was? :-O

35. VOR says:

Romulus,

As far as I can tell those both happened in March and MacT took over on April 16th. But thanks for suggesting them. Any other ideas?

36. FrankenOil says:

G Money,

I found that, for the most part, it seemed that Tambo acquired others on their “saw him good” as opposed to actually having an opinion n the player. This was his major inadequacy as the GM – he didn’t know how to evaluate players. He went off the advice of others and on paper stats. MacT saw Belov at the WHC and liked him and his belief in Klefbom is based on his own viewing of him.

37. FrankenOil says:

Holding my breath:

@AnttiRaanta: I’ve made my decision!

38. FrankenOil says:

Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib 30s
    #mnwild hasn’t heard anything from Antti Raanta’s camp today; he tweeted he made a decision on his #nhl future

39. Rocknrolla says:

MacT interview at Combine by TSN….

40. Rocknrolla says:

Woodguy: The comparison is weak.

Belov made the Russian National team for the WHC.Tambellini That’s a few step above anything Tambellini ever added.

Tambellini’s FA D signings were: Potter. Strudwick, Foster. Barker

Agreed….This guy was mentioned last night as the best Dman in the KHL, so a touch above replacement level.

I think it shows some good initiative. I also want to highlight that the Oilers beat out 5-6 teams again here ala J. Schultz. MacT was involved there as well. Rumors say Belov was impressed MacT was out there in person.

Good Arrows folks ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

41. Rocknrolla says:

Antii Raanta tweets out he has made his decision….(crosses fingers)

I’ve made my decision! #future #nytmökkeillään— Antti Raanta (@AnttiRaanta) May 31, 2013

42. Racki says:

Rocknrolla:
    Antii Raanta tweets out he has made his decision….(crosses fingers)

I just peed my pants a little. Come on Edmonton!

43. asiaoil says:

No mystery about Tambo – he was a schmuck hired to be fired and save Lowe from that fate. Does anyone think Lowe would have survived the rebuild from the Taylor Hall draft to today with his job? No way. I have little respect for Lowe as a manager based on his pathetic record – but the guy is very good at keeping his job in spite of his performance. Hopefully MacT and Hodgson actually have some independence from Lowe – and Katz has sent him off to the flapjack circuit where he can show off his shiny rings and tell his “old timey” stories about the dynasty he created.

44. TheOtherJohn says:

If Belov can match the comedy associated with a Bo Bo Mironov and Andrei Kovalenko trip through the New York area: NYR, NJD, NYI, Philly, that alone will cover his $1.5m salary.

Seriously the Oilers (or maybe it was Mironov) lost Kovalenko on one of those trips in 98/99. Whereupon Kovy was traded to Philly for a bucket of pucks

If Belove is a 5-6-7D and can move the puck its not a bad bet

45. LMHF#1 says:

TheOtherJohn:
    If Belov can match the comedy associated with aBo Bo Mironov and Andrei Kovalenko trip through the New York area: NYR, NJD, NYI, Philly, that alone will cover his $1.5m salary.

IfBelove is a 5-6-7Dand can move the puck its not a bad bet

Hockey against bears on skates in Clive FTW.

46. ashley says:

Racki: When the team has as many holes to fill as the Oilers do (they have the core guys, but everyone knows how many probs the Oil have), I think it’s good. Plus I think with Krueger either lacking the experience, knowledge or desire to line match, bringing in someone with experience in that would help out a lot. The guy that one that Oilers Hackathon won because he showed how important this concept is to winning.

This all assumes that Tambellini was in charge. I’m not sure about that.

I do believe MacT is in charge, however.

Belov is a good signing. Nothing to lose, really. If he doesn’t work out, he gets cut. If he becomes a bottom pair Dman, or some press box depth, good for us.

47. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

CHL considering ban on European goalies

Doesn’t address the real problem which is that the draft rules make North American goalies too much of a risk with the long development period for goalies.

Would like to see 4 years to sign all goalies.

48. fifthcartel says:

Anyone else notice in that MacT interview at the combine he declines to comment on them interviewing Maurice and says there will be an announcement later.

49. Acumen says:

I’m really nervously excited about the Raanta bit, he would be a huuuuuge signing and immediately fill a big hole in the goalie pipeline. I think just based on the Backstrom/Koivu connection that Minnesota is the smart bet, but I’m still hopeful!

Schultz and Raanta in back to back years would be marvelous.

50. Racki says:

ashley: This all assumes that Tambellini was in charge.I’m not sure about that.

I do believe MacT is in charge, however.

Belov is a good signing.Nothing to lose, really.If he doesn’t work out, he gets cut.If he becomes a bottom pair Dman, or some press box depth, good for us.

This is the thing….

Lots of people suspect Tambellini was a puppet. He might have been. I don’t know. But one thing we can say with great certainty now is that MacTavish is anything but that. He might listen to Lowe and others, but it’s clear that he is making decisions that he feels are the right ones to make, so we’re already head of the game, whether Tambellini stunk as a GM because Lowe/Katz were pulling the puppet strings, or if Tambellini stunk as a GM because he just didn’t know what he was doing, or if this team has been brutal because the intent all along was to drive the bus off the cliff and get as many top picks as they could.

The fact is, everything seems to point to MacTavish being in charge, and with the arrows pointing upward – trying to make this team a winner. That’s the important part. People are willing to give Tambellini free passes because of the previously mentioned stuff above, but as far as I’m concerned it doesn’t really matter… Tambellini as GM signified an era where losing was common place and acceptable… MacTavish being GM signifies another era in which everything will be done to try and make this team a winner and get it into the playoffs.

For the record, Lowe and others were adamant in stating that Tambellini made all the decisions, even though he did go through Lowe with them. It’s not at all unlikely to think that this system was either too intimidating for Tambi (hindered some decisions) or that Lowe may have shot down some ideas.. but I don’t really think about that too much now. It’s behind us, and now I’m thinking about what a guy with full reign and good hockey smarts can do.

51. rich says:

Piling on Tambellini is very easy with his track record and unfair. He’s gone, it’s over. Move on.

Comparing MacT to Tambellini is ludicrious regardless of whether or not all his moves work.

MacT has a plan and is not looking around the room for affirmation. He’s saying what he’s going to do and getting about it. He’s taken some initial steps that make sense to build successes and get people to buy-in.

It’s also very possible that at this point he’s going to benefit from the fact that KLowe has no choice but to given him the reigns given how bad he’s allowed things to get.

Whether it was fair to him or not, Tambellini was never fully in control and never had any successes to point to other than offloading a couple of bad contracts. That helped initially as did a couple of #1 overall picks, but you don’t get credit for failure on the ice in this league.

Ultimately, he was put in a position he was not capable of handling – I’d say deliberately so by Lowe as he’d never be a threat. And if things went wrong – which they did – it was easy to point the finger at him instead of the person who’s fault this really is taking the blame.

Oilers management for the last 5-6 years has been the picture of how not to do things. I’d say w/MacT in charge, there are some positive early signs. Not that I’m ready to plan the parade, but at the very least for a fanbase tired of all the losing and ridicule, this is a welcome sign.

52. Captain Obvious says:

In the years Tambelline was in charge the Oilers didn’t add a single good player via free agency, trade, or waivers that wasn’t either through factors outside his control (Smyth, J Schultz) or by giving up someone better (N Schultz).

In four some years, he didn’t add a single NHL quality player. Not one. Think about that for a minute.

If MacT goes into a coma for four years and never does anything again, he’s already permanently ahead of Tambellini.

Captain Obvious:

Justin Schultz said Ralph Krueger sealed the deal. Tambellini was responsible for Krueger. So how can one deny credit for Justin Schultz to Tambellini.

Tambellini beat out 29 other teams to get Justin Schultz.

The Oilers farm system is no longer a joke. Tambellini deserves credit for that.

He deserves credit for leaving MacT completely unencumbered with respect to the cap. Tambellini didn’t sacrifice fiscal prudence to save his own job.

Yes, he failed as a GM. But people should be fair in their criticism and condemnation.

54. spoiler says:

From Mark Masters twitter account…

when asked when he might be picked, Barkov responded “maybe in the Top 7″.

7th would be just about perfect, lol.

55. Gerta Rauss says:

VOR:

Ewanyk, Gernat and Musil signed ATOs with OKC-not sure if that meets your criteria. It definitely tips their hand about the clubs intentions next season however.

56. Lois Lowe says:

I think that MacT does have more leeway in terms of what he’s allowed to do regarding the roster due to his relationship to Lowe. There is a trust and communication level that exists between them and I think has given MacT more power than Tambo had. I also wonder if Lowe had trouble early relinquishing control to Tambo and what effect that could have had on his roster decisions from then on out.

57. IBleedOilBlu says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Hey Scotchies,

any reviews on the Bowmore 12?

LCBO has a sale on but I haven’t tried it.

58. Bar_Qu says:

Sooo, this Raanta thing is really dragging on, eh?

59. PaperDesigner says:

For all those that suggest Tambellini is a puppet, well, not only would you have to believe Lowe was lying when he said something to the effect that Tambellini was never vetoed (which suggested that this is Tambellini’s roster), but there was also a distinct change to the strategy of the team.

Lowe would usually rob Peter to pay Paul, and by, say, emptying the forward depth to improve the defence, and then the following year end up robbing Paul to pay Peter. His rosters were changed aggressively on a yearly basis, and he didn’t so much fill holes as actively move them about on the roster.

Tambellini drafted players and watched them develop. And then signed bottom of the roster players who weren’t good enough to be bottom of the roster players, before eventually dumping them and finding similarly incapable players, usually through very minor trades and free agency.

There was a very distinct change in management style when the switch happened. Neither was good, but Tambellini was much worse. Lowe may have given offer sheets to Vanek (one of those rare moves where both sides ended up regretting their actions–don’t you think Buffalo could have used all those Edmonton first picks?) and Penner, but he at least identified quality players. Tambellini apparently thought Barker was a solution. And Belanger. And Eager. And Petrell. And…

No, Steve Tambellini’s legacy can be measured without an asterix, because there’s no way, given Lowe’s personality and management history, would have run the team the way it was if he was the one truly pulling all the strings.

60. Gerta Rauss says:

Bar_Qu:
    Sooo, this Raanta thing is really dragging on, eh?

61. FastOil says:

MacT signed one of the best D not in the NHL in the world to a value contract who is big, mean, skates well and has a brain that he appears to use. Who knows if he’ll transition well to the NHL but at least it’s the Oilers getting a look first. We’d all be pissed if someone else signed him, right?

Amazing job by MacT IMO. Apparently some players do want to play in Edmonton. I think he was spot on with the compelling story comment.

They can’t find the hidden gems if they don’t change any personnel. I expect we’ll see a lot of this type of action going forward, always looking for a really good player to add to the roster that costs little. Loyalty shouldn’t extend too far beyond ability at the NHL level.

As for Tambellini, overall he managed the business well. He did not leave a mess financially and the organization is humming to it’s depths. I think he’ probably a great guy to boot.

He could not however cut good deals consistently and was too worried to make a mistake. Perhaps Kev had a gun to his head. And I don’t think he had a good sense of value or leverage which is the key skill for a GM IMO, the horse trading. People can be hired to organize things, like he used to do for the Dys. Maybe they’ll hire him again.

62. Doug McLachlan says:

Gerta Rauss: I read a blurb on another blog saying something about he can’t officially sign until tomorrow-I don’t know if this is accurate but we may have to sleep on this…:(

I think this is the case. Heard Greggor mention the same thing today. Still, we are (apparently) in the running and that is awesome.

63. Gerta Rauss says:

Doug McLachlan,

Now that you mention it, the blurb I read was quoting Gregor so…

1 more sleep..!!!

64. Romulus Apotheosis says:

IBleedOilBlu: Bowmore is my favourite after laphroig and lagavulin. If you like the peaty smoky taste Bowmore is excellent for the price.

Thanks for the tip. I picked it up and try this weekend probably.

I like the Islay peaties… Caol Ila 12 is a personal favorite, but it’s good to try new things.

65. Bar_Qu says:

Doug McLachlan: I think this is the case.Heard Greggor mention the same thing today.Still, we are (apparently) in the running and that is awesome.

Blech. I like my news to be instant. Not necessarily factual, but instant. That’s why twitter is so good!
    ;)

66. jake70 says:

Off topic, here is a very interesting article on the chances of a Canadian team winning the Stanley Cup. Warning: many stats, graphs, calculations used by the author. Pretty bold…he has 28 teams with 11 being Canadian in his vision of the league based on many variables. Quite insightful.

67. art vandelay says:

Up until that last little bit I thought the Oilers had re-acquired Pronger.

68. Spydyr says:

Russia ended up 6th at the Worlds one spot behind Canada.They looked awful the whole tournament.Whomever picked the team did not have the brains to put Yak on it.I`m not putting much into he played for Russia in the Worlds.This guy looks like a bottom pairing replacement for Fistric.Hope I`m wrong and he moves up the bating order.As far as Mac-T making any real changes we will have to wait till after the Cup.The team needs wholesale change .There are less then ten players I would like to see stay.Hope he can do that.