Today, we’re going to move from identifying MacT’s shopping list (suspect we have it surrounded) to offering useful options to solve the problems. We start with the UFA’s, forward and defense and ask Robert Vollman to use his Sledgehammer. For our purposes today, we’ll be dealing with position players only.
First, let’s identify the list (this is my list, you may have different items, please list and I’ll ask Mr. Vollman).
- A left-handed puck moving defenseman. Veteran, has to be an actual defenseman, has to be a veteran NHL player.
- A left-wing with skill who can play a physical game. It would help if he were 6.03, but skill is the main requirement.
- A “shutdown” center, someone the Oilers can use on the 4line and for defensive zone faceoffs.
My nominees in the category, using behind the net and brain power (and let’s face it, this blog and its members mull over these fellows and we usually come to some kind of consensus) are the following:
- Mark Streit, with Sergei Gonchar as a fall back option
- Viktor Stalberg, Dustin Penner, Valtteri Filppula, Raffi Torres, Bryan Bickell
- Boyd Gordon
Now, feel free to add names but remember this is a UFA list. Now, the Vollman Sledgehammer.
VOLLMAN D UFA 2013 SUMMER
Notice the quadrants: “Less Sheltered” “Sheltered” “Two-Way” and “Shutdown” and the names in each quadrant. Fascinating list, certainly an eye opener in terms of what is available this summer via free agency.
VOLLMAN D 5 YEAR SUMMER 2013
More interesting viewing. I love the Vollman Sledgehammer!
VOLLMAN F UFA 2013 SUMMER
Interesting list, puts Gordon on an island but also offers some other options and really puts forward some interesting LW possibilities. It also tells us a story about Mr. Stalberg.
VOLLMAN F 5 YEAR SUMMER 2013
Another interesting look. And remember: blue=good, red=bad, and the bigger the bubble the better/worse the performance. Okay, I’m going to ask Robert to walk us through these this morning at 10, and sincerely thank him for the charts (he posted them on twitter yesterday).
This morning at 10, Lowdown with Lowetide on Team 1260. Scheduled to appear:
- Robert Vollman from Hockey Prospectus. We’ll discuss the Vollman graph and Oiler options.
- Guy Flaming from the Pipeline Show. We’ll discuss the Memorial Cup and the draft.
- Patricia Teter from Artful Puck. We’ll talk about the Barons and the rabid OKC fans!
- James Mirtle from the Globe and Mail will talk about the Leafs, that incredible game 7 and the summer.
- Andreas Morse from FC Edmonton will discuss the season so far, and have more big new from FC!
- Jungle Jim Hunter will talk about the AB Sports Hall of Fame and this year’s selections.
Twitter @Lowetide_ or text 101260 for comments and questions. Hope you can tune in!