2013 ENTRY DRAFT POST 15: THE OILERS AND THE OHL

The Edmonton Oilers have chosen just 5 players since 2008 from the strongest NHL draft producer, the OHL. However, the list includes two #1 overall selections so the procurement department has enjoyed a talent watershed from the Ontario league in the last 5 years.

NHL TOTAL PLAYERS/OHL PLAYERS DRAFTED BY YEAR AND TOTAL

• 2012 NHL draft–211 total players, 48 from the OHL
  • 2011 NHL draft, 211 total players, 46 from the OHL
  • 2010 NHL draft 210 total players, 42 from the OHL
  • 2009 NHL draft, 211 total players, 42 from the OHL
  • 2008 NHL draft, 211 total players, 46 from the OHL
  • FINAL TALLY: 1054 total players, 224 from the OHL
  • PERCENTAGE: 21.2%

OILERS TOTAL PLAYERS/OHL PLAYERS DRAFTED BY YEAR AND TOTAL

• 2012 NHL draft–7 total players, 2 from the OHL.
  • 2011 NHL draft–9 total players, 1 from the OHL.
  • 2010 NHL draft–11 total players, 2 from the OHL.
  • 2009 NHL draft–7 total players, 0 from the OHL.
  • 2008 NHL draft–5 total players, 0 from the OHL.
  • FINAL TALLY: 39 total players, 5 from the OHL.
  • PERCENTAGE: 12.8%

Oilers have used the OHL more in the last three seasons (5/27, or 18.5%) so that may be a trend–hard to say with such a small sample size. Aside from Hall and Yakupov, Edmonton has chosen Tobias Rieder, Ryan Martindale and Daniil Zharkov from the Granddaddy junior loop. As a fan, I enjoy the Oilers WHL bias, but they are probably leaving some talent on the table based on drafting totals. Edmonton takes 1 player per season from the Ontario league in the MBS era.

TOP 30 DRAFT ELIGIBLES 2013, OHL

1. C Sean Monahan: Oilers target, key tumbler for new MacT building up the middle. Wide range of skills.
  2. D Darnell Nurse: Nice range of skills, good size and has been trending since the end of the season.
  3. C Bo Horvat: Trending due to nice range of skills. Solid offense, tough and a load.
  4. C Max Domi: Subpar Memorial Cup will hurt his final draft number.
  5. D Nikita Zadorov: Huge defender with speed, don’t see the offense.
  6. L Kerby Rychel: A trending player, he’s skilled and mean.
  7. D Chris Bigras: Two-way defender with good speed and surprising defensive acumen for his age.
  8. C Ryan Hartman: Good skater very good awareness a player who is no fun to play against.
  9. L Jason Dickinson: Very good skater with quickness, agility.
  10. R Justin Bailey: Nice range of skills, impressive resume save for being an awkward skater.
  11. R Jimmy Lodge: Skill winger who can impact the game.
  12. C Carter Verhaeghe: Two-way C with a range of skills.
  13. D Jordan Subban: Fascinating prospect. Skilled and undersized.
  14. R Zack Nastasiuk: Two way winger plays in all situations.
  15. C Cole Cassels: Andrew’s son, similar skill set not as skilled a playmaker.
  16. C Nick Moutrey: Big forward with skill. Lacks consistency.
  17. R Nicholas Baptiste: PF rising.
  18. R Sergey Tolchinksy: Very skilled winger, small.
  19. L Tyler Bertuzzi: Plays a similar style to uncle Todd, battle injury.
  20. G Spencer Martin: Athletic goalie with size.
  21. C Ryan Kujawinski: Two-way player with size, stock is dropping.
  22. L Stephen Harper: Big PF, well named enigma.
  23. G Charlie Graham: Cat-like reflexes.
  24. L Brent Pedersen: Inconsistent PF.
  25. L Josh Burnside: Fleet winger, some skill.
  26. D Ben Harpur: Huge defenseman turned the corner mid-season.
  27. R Bradley Latour: Scrappy winger, late birthday.
  28. L Sergey Kuptsov: Huge winger, raw.
  29. G Michael Giugovaz: Interesting prospect.
  30. L Nick Paul: Bigger winger with some skill.

I think the WHL has the stronger 30 list, but the OHL traditionally produces more draft picks. The Oilers are surely looking closely at Monahan, Horvat and Nurse, but beyond their first round selection players like Bigras may be worth a 2nd round look.

68 Responses to "2013 ENTRY DRAFT POST 15: THE OILERS AND THE OHL"

1. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Stupidly off-topic… but is it weird that recent memory has three players named Bigos, Biggs and Bigras

2. Rondo says:

Sounds like Scott Reynolds is not a big fan of Bo Horvat

Although he is quite harsh on most players.

3. Rondo says:

LT,

Do you see a scenario where Oilers take Nurse at #7?

Scott’s series is excellent, agreed. I think Horvat is going to be a good player, but he doesn’t have the offensive potential of Monahan.

5. BlacqueJacque says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

Bigos is the name of a Polish dish. Sausage, prunes, mushrooms and spices stewed in sauerkraut on low heat for a couple of hours. Goes great with rye bread and a glass of vodka.

Vodka. The drink that can actually kill you.

7. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Cullen has his Nuck report up:

Here’s his line-up suggestion:

Of note to me:

He’s given Gaunce and Schroeder NHL jobs for next year. I wonder if Gillis thinks they are ready, or if he’ll find his hands tied and roll the dice on them. I’d be surprised if Gillis didn’t try and add another vet C like he did with Roy.

This line on Sestito caught my eye and funnybone:

“He’s settled into his role as the Canucks’ enforcer, for whatever value that provides,”

LT, could you have him on again? Not necessarily to discuss a particular non-Oiler team, or the Oilers, but maybe his project in general and maybe circle through 3 or 4 teams of interest?

he was a good guest and his project is a great read.

Rom: I plan to have him on week after draft, agree Cullen is excellent. One of the guys in the mainstream who can freely talk about issues and go from advanced stats to saw him good without losing step in either area.

9. BlacqueJacque says:

Join me for a few one day, maybe I’ll change your mind.

We can talk shop. I’ll buy the first couple of rounds.

10. Romulus Apotheosis says:

BlacqueJacque: Bigos is the name of a Polish dish.Sausage, prunes, mushrooms and spices stewed in sauerkraut on low heat for a couple of hours.Goes great with rye bread and a glass of vodka.

I’d worry about the prunes. As a general rule I like my sweets and savories to know little about one another.

Speaking of Vodka, has anyone come across this series of vanity vintage Vodkas:

I’ve been curious to try them since I read this article.

BlacqueJacque:

Join me for a few one day, maybe I’ll change your mind.

We can talk shop.I’ll buy the first couple of rounds.

Oh, i LOVE vodka! But I’ve had enough in my life to know there’s a tipping point. :-)

12. Kris11 says:

Vodka (and alcohol more generally) might be the leading cause of unnecessary death of the Russian people since WWII.

Maybe that’s overstated a bit, but not by much, IMO.

13. Kris11 says:

Scott’s list of comparables for the top rated draft-elligibles is a good corrective to the claim that this draft is deep like the way 2003 was deep.

It is a good list of prospects, with a solid top end, but its not looking like an especially great draft. (Maybe it will be, but the comparables suggest otherwise.)

14. BlacqueJacque says:

Asking you to drinks is like asking a 20 year old girl out on a date. I’m not sure whether the answer was a yes or no haha.

BlacqueJacque:

Asking you to drinks is like asking a 20 year old girl out on a date.I’m not sure whether the answer was a yes or no haha.

lol. Sorry, I completely missed it. Sure! I can’t until after the draft but certainly, would love to. I honestly thought you lived in Montreal.

16. RexLibris says:

With regards to the OHL-shy Oilers, there is also the chance that the players they had preferred was gone when they went to the podium and their western presence gave them a WHL prospect as the next most-likely backup position over the less-rigorously scouted OHL or QMJHL.

I was surprised by how few QMJHL and OHL prospects they’ve taken these last few years when they would obviously had had many of their scouts, even the regional guys, making the trip out to watch Hall, Seguin, Couturier, and Yakupov.

——–

I’ve only had one serious experience with Vodka and I can honestly say that it and I are no longer on speaking terms.

17. Romulus Apotheosis says:

RexLibris:

I was thinking similar thoughts this morning re: WHL. I wrote:

On the WHL and the draft… is 5 years and 39 players an adequate sample size?
    I honestly have no idea.
    But I wonder about contingency in this regard. How likely is it that a bunch of players from the Q or Europe were on their lists but were gone at the time of the pick.
    Or, imagine a scenario where the Oiler list goes like
    34: Q
    35: Euro
    36: Q
    37: OHL
    38: WHL
    39: Euro
    40: Q
    and they are picking at say 40, but everyone below 38 (WHL pick) is already gone. But for the contingency of other teams, they might have picked from a wide array of leagues.
    Of course, the aggregate over five years, suggests there are a lot more WHL players on that Oiler list than my hypothetical suggests. I’m just not sure — absent having a look at the Oilers’ list — how we can know one way or the other.

after your review of regional drafting do you have any insight into this potential conundrum?

ie. how can we account for draft preference by league if we don’t know the list the Oilers use to draft from compared to who is available?

18. RexLibris says:

Kris11,

While I’m not sold that 2013 is 2003 all over again, in fact I’m quite skeptical about all the hyperbole, I’ve never really bought into comparables either.

I think this group is a solid collection of prospects, but I think that depth extends to around picks 7 through 10 and then falls off closer to the norm.

19. BlacqueJacque says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I am going to give you the absolute best advice on vodka there is:

Fancy vodkas are shit. Now whether it’s Gray Goose or some fancy boutique drink like that, it’s not going to be better than and likely fundamentally worse than the five major brands out there: Smirnoff, Absolut, Wyborowa, Stolichnaya, and my favorite, Finlandia.

Dead giveaway in the article that the vodka they’re selling is shit? “The company has already earned a reputation for putting out an unusually distinctive vodka, one that tastes markedly of the potatoes from which it’s distilled.” It’s vodka. If it’s good. you’re not supposed to taste anything (other than alcohol). Anybody can make vodka that tastes of something – I mean, look at Russian Prince. Furthermore, if you were to blind taste test the most hoighty-toighty connoisseurs (who are really just well-compensated advertising tools), they wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between the big five and could not possibly begin to identify the various boutique varieties.

Now, if you’re looking to impress people by spending a lot of money on a product where not only you can taste the difference, but the difference is established by hundreds of years of technique rather than dozens of hours of marketing meetings, I heartily urge you to get into the world of scotch or cognac. Once you get more familiar, you can start exploring whiskeys outside the scotch brand name (which is legally limited to products coming out of Scotland), and brandys other than cognac (which is limited to brandy produced in the Cognac region of France.)

Beware anything trendy that claims a long history etc. etc. but you haven’t heard about it until recently and suddenly everyone is talking about it. There was a big campaign to try and sell people on Armagnac a few years ago. Armagnac is a perfectly fine brandy comparable with cognac, the problem is that the brandy market is already saturated and Armagnac just didn’t have the appeal or oomph to establish itself, so as a result a lot of average folk like us bought some very expensive brandy because it had the armagnac name, and a few rich dolts bought fields and distilleries in Armagnac that turned out to be worth a lot less than they’d hoped, once the marketing campaign died off.

I know way too much about liquor.

PS
    Canadian whiskeys are rightly reviled by many connoisseurs. Our regulations are lax and even Crown Royal is nothing but corn whiskey with flavoring added.

20. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I was thinking similar thoughts this morning re: WHL. I wrote:

I would begin by looking at a series of years to spot trends. With MacGregor and Tambellini having the majority of their tenure together I think we have a fair amount of data to create a baseline. We’ll have this draft year and perhaps next to begin to colour in MacGregor under MacTavish and spot differences. Then we can parse out those selection preferences that are organizational and those that are specific to management. For example, we know from history that since the Oilers traded Messier they have been looking for a big forwards. They had one with Arnott and have been looking under every rock and Isbister since then (remember the Edmonton love affair for Eric Daze? The secretive treatment surrounding Joe Hulbig?) and we know from many, many years’ experience that this predilection is more or less written into the DNA of the Oilers’ organization.

To date, I think the Oilers actually do eschew some prospects from the QMJHL and to a lesser extent the OHL. They took Moroz based on his “trending” as a prospect, passing on players like Dalton Thrower, Martin Frk and others who could arguably have filled a similar agitating role with, at the very least, comparable skill if not more. Samuellson was their first choice and when he was taken they deferred to another WHL prospect.

Manpower is another indication of priority, and the O and Q are relatively understaffed. The saving grace is that they have a lot of bodies overseas, and good ones at that. No team can draft well from everywhere, so it becomes incumbent on franchises to focus on an area or two they feel strong in. The Oilers are doing average work in the WHL and, in my opinion, knocking it out of the park overseas.

Like LT, I would commit acts of international espionage to get a glance at MacGregor’s draft board in advance. However, there are enough tells after the fact that I think we can glean some tendencies. I think we can expect some truculence to make an appearance on the Oilers draft list this year, although that may be more down the middle than the wing or on the blueline.

21. Romulus Apotheosis says:

BlacqueJacque,

Hey,

thanks! that was a great rant!!

Love scotch. currently enjoying a dram of Dalmore 15:

With the Vodka… I’ve never managed to develop a palate for it (which, I imagine you’ll tell me is the point! haha) but the recent craze of “artisanal” crap everywhere prompted me and my roommate to host a Vodka tasting party. everyone brings a different bottle (different regions, different basic ingredients for distillation, grain, potato etc., different price points etc.)… we’ve not yet got around to it (we started with a black tea party first on the same principle)…

the basic idea being that everyone says vodka is the least interesting, least flavorful booze… yet the price, ingredients, etc. all vary wildly. It would be interesting to try several blind and settle the matter…. are some better? are the better ones more expensive? are distinct flavors noticeable when juxtaposed? etc.

what struck me about these Swedes you are rebuking was the experimental nature of it. they seem more like nerds than hustlers.

The same curiousity that makes me wonder if potato vodka from Russia is as good as potato vodka from Finland, vs. grain from wherever, etc…. seems to animate their project.

At any rate, if I spend $80 on a bottle to have the experience of knowing it’s all terribly uninteresting to drink… so be it. I’ll have fun all the same.

22. sliderule says:

Rondo:
    Soundslike Scott Reynolds is not a big fan of Bo Horvat

Althoughhe is quite harsh on most players.

I have been reading Reynolds on the draft with interest .

With Horvat and Lazar he goes back to at least 2003 as he has MAP on the list

So I did my own list picking only centers who are mostly playing in that position in junior and at NHL level

Horvat and lazar are within 110 per cent of the following centers drafted between 2003 and 2006

Bergeron ,Getslaff, Bolland,Dubinsky,Jordan Staal,Mueller

Other than Mueller I think oiler fans would die to have them on our team

As old jack Adams said don’t draft from the hockey news use your eyes.

23. prairieschooner says:

I have a vague recollection of drinking Vodka shots out of the freezer with pepper liberally sprinkled.
    I thought the WHL favouritism was partially due to the Oilers wanting kids used to brutal travel schedules, Western winters and seeing Edmonton as a big city, in hopes that they did not have the same issues as they do attracting free agents.

24. RexLibris says:

A side note on Vodka, when it was introduced to the North American market in the 60s the major advertising hook was that it was odourless, and so a businessman (say one who sold radio advertisements – wink, wink, nudge, nudge – you know I kid) could go for a “lunch meeting” with a client and return to the office without the tell-tale signs.

How times have changed.

25. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Here’s an article that gets a bit too into the whole vodka differentiation thing:

but it is pretty informative.

26. Romulus Apotheosis says:

RexLibris:

How times have changed.

Hennigan’s?

(not vodka… but funny all the same)

Smirnoff is my choice, has been since ever. However, I don’t have any in the house–and I have EVERYTHING in the house. Vodka was my 20′s, suspect I had too much. :-)

28. BlacqueJacque says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Like, I’m fanatic about my alcohols on occasion, and I freely admit that if given the choice of vodka, I will go with Finlandia even though I know I will not taste the difference. So why? Because of marketing and experience and outlook. I’m Polish so I already suspect Wyborowa. Polish culture is notoriously scammy and Poles love taking shortcuts at work. Even though Wyborowa is owned by someone else (Smirnoff, I think?), it’s still made in Poland by Poles. Familiarity breeds contempt, I suppose. Why not Absolut? Well, they used to be my favorite but then they started polluting their vodka with all sorts of flavoring. Thus, totally ruining the point of vodka. Finlandia did it too, but later. Stolichnaya I won’t buy because I’m Polish and won’t willingly buy shit made in Russia. Smirnoff because it’s American and because it’s made from corn. It’s a perfectly clean vodka, so clean it really might as well be pure alcohol added to water rather than a distilled alcohol, but the fact that it’s made from corn in the first place is so fundamentally fucking wrong and so god damned typical of “we put corn into everything because we subsidize Archer Daniels Midland so much” American culinary tradition.

29. kinger_OIL says:

BlacqueJacque: Now that’s what I’m talking about with a comment… Your the kind of guy I’d have over to the place for a few drinks: shoot the sh%t about booze (while drinking of course!), with our vaguely well informed opinions. Probably solve a lot of the issues in the world. Grey Goose is for poseurs by the way… God Bless! Back to hockey: I said last year that Kruger was an unusual head coach, given that he wasn’t the choice of the Oil in the first place, no NHL experience, and only after Simpson turned it down as assistant coach, and got killed on this site for saying so: big time. Now they hire another coach with no NHL experience: hope they get it right. So many of my hockey buddies in the big leagues said the same thing about Kruger: “Dude has no clue how to coach in the NHL: good motivator, great “coach”, but terrible at the X’s and O’s of NHL hockey, out of his depth, etc”. Hopefully they get an assistant that has bona fide relevant NHL experience. A big tell for me will also be if the assistant coaches stay: it’s not the new coaches team if they keep on two old-timers: and that’s not a good sign: full stop.

30. Wolfie says:

I bought a bottle of Cognac and one of Calvados on my last trip to France. Both were very good although I couldn’t tell you the names off hand. Did some cognac taste testing and you can really taste the difference between a VSOP and a good XO.

As for the shot quality discussion in the last thread. I’ve played goal for 31 years and although the stats don’t show that it has an effect on scoring, it fails to consider that every shot is unique and so is every shooter. Kovalchuk or Stamkos getting a one-timer from the face-off dot is much different than Smyth shooting a muffin from the same spot to the same spot while he’s busting down the wing. I could be wrong but from what I understand is both scenarios would both measure the same in quality? If I’m wrong someone please explain.

Also, the Oilers will have a hard time winning anything if the league continues to allow playoff games to be officiated the way they are.

Finally, I can’t wait to see what this roster looks like in the fall. I just want the playoffs to finish and the real fun to start!

31. BlacqueJacque says:

kinger_OIL,

I’ll be the first to concede Grey Goose is a good vodka. It is 100% in the same class as Absolut and Finlanda and Wyborowa in quality. But that’s it. It’s not better. I don’t think it even gets extra distillation over its closest competition, because it’s already approaching Smirnoff levels of tastelessness – without the stigma of a corny origin. They still have that barest hint of its grainy or potatoey or whatever (and I really can’t tell the difference between the two) source.

So the ridiculous price is just marketing. And I know enough about alcohol and am secure enough in myself to know that when I go to a bar and order a Finlandia and the prick with the Ferrari hat and jacket (and Audi keys) gets a Grey Goose, the hot 28 year old tattooed career bartender chick knows what’s up.

32. Smarmy says:

BlacqueJacque,

I normally just pass when alcohol chat comes around but I had to say I’m glad you have the same opinion of vodka as I. The expensive stuff is the same thing where you just pay for the marketing behind it.

I will disagree a little with you on Canadian Whiskeys. You are correct that the standards are lax so all the corn whiskeys like Crown, CC and Seagrams get passed off by people thinking they’re drinking Rye Whiskey (as people think Canadian Whiskey means Rye)

Alberta Premium and Forty Creek both use 100% Rye and both of them make terrific Rye Whiskeys. I wish Canadian Whiskey had to be 100% Rye.

33. BlacqueJacque says:

Some Johnnie Walker, then? I’ve been meaning to give it all a try lately, because I was surprised to learn that Churchill was a fan of the Red Label. I always found it a bit harsh, but maybe my tastes have grown.

Or are we resorting to beer?

34. BlacqueJacque says:

Smarmy,

Thank you. That’s a really nice compliment.

I tried Alberta Premium and was pleasantly surprised but it’s not to my taste. I guess I’m a little European in my tastes, I like my whiskeys with some more aging, and smoother. That said, it’s got far more rustic appeal as a real rye than CR does.

35. Smarmy says:

BlacqueJacque,

Personal taste is the most important because you’ll never get a sophisticated palette if you don’t really care for it.

I’ll drink any kind of beer. I’m not too snobby about it. I’m as happy with a coor light or a microbrew. I just like cheap.

I like scotch but the only real brand apart from plain jane Glenfiddich that I’ve bought more then a bottle of was Glenmorangie Port Wood Finish. Love that stuff.

For Rye Whiskey I say try Forty Creek. If you don’t really care for that then Rye Whiskey has nothing for you imho.

36. RexLibris says:

Swear on the Holy Trinity (Gretzky to Kurri to the Back of the Net) there was a bottle of liqueur in there (can’t remember the brand, but in the range of a Port or after-dinner liqueur) with a $1.85 price tag on it. LT, if we ever go for coffee I’ll tell you about how most of that was purchased.

I’m not much of a drinker (my late teens and early 20s had some miles on them too), but looking through that bar had something for everyone to take home.

37. RexLibris says:

Heh, just realized, the Oilers must be looking up as we’re all talking alcohol preferences now in the off-season. Usually this sort of conversation breaks out five minutes after the first intermission and the home team facing a 3-0 deficit.

;-)

38. Romulus Apotheosis says:

BlacqueJacque: You can taste test anything. But if you find a difference between Wyborowa, Absolut and Finlandia, it’ll almost certainly be coincidence.

Well, that’s the point for me.

I like drinking and I like putting claims to the test.

A lot of claims are being made about vodka these days as people are discovery they can make boutique versions of everyday crap and up the price. Here’s a great example:

Brooklyn, home to all manner of crap dressed up pretty and expensive.

That said, it seems entirely plausible that a spirit made from such a wide variety of ingredients, processes, regions, methods etc. would vary in taste, quality, etc. It also seems plausible that each of us would idiosyncratically prefer one to another.

Smarmy: I can’t stand Tequila and don’t care for Bourbon but I know plenty of people that love them.

I’m with you on Tequila (spits)…

but bourbon is delicious IMO. Maker’s Mark 46 is absolutely amazing. Bulleit and Elijah Craig are good too.

RexLibris: We’ll have this draft year and perhaps next to begin to colour in MacGregor under MacTavish and spot differences.

Too bad we lost some draft bullets this year. It would make it easier to spot trend with a greater sample… but I completely agree MacT will probably leave his stamp on the draft and we should be able to pick up some differences along the way… no more Abneys

——-
    apparently we are a bunch of drunks.

Blacque Jacques: Oh I’m game, vodka is fine. I’d love to have a drink or two, we’ll do it sometime in July (I have some plans for a holiday but they’re a moving target because of family stuff).

40. BlacqueJacque says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Hey, taste testing is just another excuse to have a few drinks. Not knocking it at all, just trying to give a friendly heads-up about becoming suckered into $100 bottles :)

41. Romulus Apotheosis says:

RexLibris: When I was renovating my grandparents’ place they had a fully stocked bar in the basement, and I mean fully stocked. Everything was in that collection, Sloe Gin, Baby Duck, Manischewitz, Tia Maria. The best part…many of the bottles were unopened and they still had the ALCB price tag on them – from 1968.

relevant:

42. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Re: no more Abney’s

We wait. We hope.

43. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis: relevant:

Funny. Shows that his mother was right when she scolded him about drinking from the container.

44. jake70 says:

‘Swear on the Holy Trinity (Gretzky to Kurri to the Back of the Net)’

Fantastic.

Who would be satan in this story? Billy Smith?

45. leadfarmer says:

Went to Polish vodka tasting last year. Orzel was my favorite and its from my home town. Distilled 6 times too and its not very expensive. Not a big fun of bison grass vodka but know some people that like it (Zubrowka). Americans dont know much about vodka for the most part ive noticed

46. Gerta Rauss says:

Mac T with the season ticket holder forum held recently.

-funny story about the chase for Dan Dekeyser
    -talks highly about Darnell Nurse
    -let it play, the link is a highlight clip, it segues into the extended version

47. jp says:

jake70:
    ‘Swear on the Holy Trinity (Gretzky to Kurri to the Back of the Net)’

Fantastic.

Who would be satan in this story?Billy Smith?

Peter Puck?

Romulus Apotheosis:

I’m with you on Tequila (spits)…

Any Tequila I’ve had at Cdn bars has been pretty bad, but I have some Mexican friends who brought some from home. Very nice – a completely different drink.

I’m on a vodka kick myself at the moment.

48. Lois Lowe says:

Polish vodka is the only vodka.

49. Rondo says:

Interesting comments regarding Darnell Nurse by Craig MacTavish

“I love that guy,” he said. “When you talk about building a culture in your organization, he’s the type of guy that you look to. He’s a very impressive kid on all levels. He’s got great toughness and there are a lot of other qualities to get excited about.

“I asked him if he thought his physicality could translate to the pro level. He stared right at me and said, ’100 percent.’”

While Nurse is most certainly an intriguing prospect, MacTavish made it clear that there’s been no decision at this point. He agreed that the Oilers need to bulk up on the back end, but there are other positions of equal importance that need attention as well.

50. Doug McLachlan says:

If the Denver Post’s report on Sakic’s comments is correct that the would NOT use their first overall pick on Jones but on a forward: McKinnon, Drouin or Barkov – how does that shake up the top of the draft?

Col – McKinnon
    Fla – Drouin?
    TB – Jones?

Could Barkov shake loose to 5?

51. BlacqueJacque says:

leadfarmer,

Zubrowka is the only popular flavored vodka I drink. It’s flavored on proper vodka tradition, and that is with a herb, rather than a fruit. On its own it’s a bit crappy, but when mixed with apple juice, or apple-mint juice (found in Polish stores across the world – it’s fantastic), it comes out wonderfully.

52. BlacqueJacque says:

Rondo,

Wonderful news. I’m a big fan of Nurse.

53. BlacqueJacque says:

Doug McLachlan,

I think that gives the Oilers a shot at Jones, if they’re willing to pay the price and trade up. #7 + … who? Gagner? Colorado has skilled centres. Paajarvi?

54. Gerta Rauss says:

Sakic’s comments as reported by nhl dot com

“If we do pick first, we’re leaning more toward one of those three forwards,” Sakic told the paper. “We feel those three forwards are just too good to pass up.”

I don’t see Colorado moving down too many spots(if at all) I’m not sure any of the top 4 move down to 7.

I still think Carolina sits in the likely spot if any trading up takes place with the Oilers.

That being said, I could see Stastny shaking loose if they take Mackinnon.

55. Rondo says:

Gerta Rauss,

Carolina may trade up if SJ is available at #4.

However I do see TB probably taking SJ

56. Kitchener says:

Thoughts on the list of 30 OHL prospects:

1) Players 1-6 are heavily covered by the east-focused media, then it’s a near complete drop-off afterwards. My Western friends, do not believe what 3 lazy writers wrote about OHL prospects and then everyone else copied (… that there’s a clear line between #1-6 and then everyone else.)

2) In all my 3 years’ worth of OHL games, FEW players made an immediate impression I can still remember. Jordan Subban is one of them. He looks like an impossibly young, small, in-the-wrong-league player through warmups, then by the 3rd period when you’re reflecting back on what happened, all you can think about is “how on earth did that guy end up involved in the key plays of the game AGAIN?” Subban jr. is a smart, athletic, ‘somehow always in the right place’, ‘somehow always the winner of the impossible odds’ kind of player. Whoever drafts him will be getting a fantastically entertaining story that just might end well. I’d bet 10 arena beers that he literally has a lucky horseshoe up his rear.

3) The O is a fun league. Good hockey, cozy rinks, and consistently feeding players into the NHL. If any of you surprisingly find yourselves moving to Ontario, the silver lining is that you’re in for some great junior hockey. If only realignment brought the Wheat Kings to Kitchener every so often…

57. Captain Happy says:

Gerta Rauss,

More likely that Colorado takes Drouin and Florida takes McKinnon.

Colorado is already loaded at centre.

Nashville would take Barkov IMO and Carolina gets the the D they need in Jones.

Calgary then gets to choose between Nichushkin and Lindholm while the Oilers have to make a decision on Lindholm, Monahan or Nurse.

Based on Mact’s verbal this week, I’d wager they’ll take Nurse.

58. serum114 says:

BlacqueJacque,

This comment makes me think of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_eZmEiyTo0

And that makes me happy.

59. serum114 says:

BlacqueJacque:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

You can taste test anything.But if you find a difference between Wyborowa, Absolut and Finlandia, it’ll almost certainly be coincidence.

Like, I’m fanatic about my alcohols on occasion, and I freely admit that if given the choice of vodka, I will go with Finlandia even though I know I will not taste the difference.So why?Because of marketing and experience and outlook.I’m Polish so I already suspect Wyborowa.Polish culture is notoriously scammy and Poles love taking shortcuts at work.Even though Wyborowa is owned by someone else (Smirnoff, I think?), it’s still made in Poland by Poles.Familiarity breeds contempt, I suppose.Why not Absolut?Well, they used to be my favorite but then they started polluting their vodka with all sorts of flavoring.Thus, totally ruining the point of vodka.Finlandia did it too, but later.Stolichnaya I won’t buy because I’m Polish and won’t willingly buy shit made in Russia.Smirnoff because it’s American and because it’s made from corn.It’s a perfectly clean vodka, so clean it really might as well be pure alcohol added to water rather than a distilled alcohol, but the fact that it’s made from corn in the first place is so fundamentally fucking wrong and so god damned typical of “we put corn into everything because we subsidize Archer Daniels Midland so much” American culinary tradition.

This comment makes me think of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_eZmEiyTo0

And that makes me happy.

60. Ribs says:

Watching MacT Presentation. Things that come to mind…

- 2006 mentioned ten seconds in.

- Hey! A shoutout to the Oilers online fan community at start of Aquila clip.

- MacT sure doesn’t sound all that confident in Dubnyk. The poor bastard.

- MacT keeps saying he’s telling guys what it will be like to be an Oiler. Think about that for a minute. Does it sound at all appealing to you?

- The old gang mentioned less than five minutes in.

- DeKeyser with Wings vanity plates. They bought him a car?? Haha well maybe not. I think I’ve watched too many college sports movies.

- Do I really think players care if they play in a new building or not?

- 80′s Oilers mentioned again eight minutes in.

- MacT recognizes weak UFA class but hoping players shake loose through compliance buyouts.

- MacT realistic about overpaying in “Silly”(UFA) season.

- MacT feels first offers in past few years were not aggressive enough.

- MacT says system prospects are fair game for depth players.

- MacT really likes Darnell Nurse (“On all levels”).

- MacT contemplating moving back 7-8 spots in draft. Those would be the Bluejackets and Islanders picks.

- They’re relying on the cap to escalate fairly quickly to retain players.

- Watched LaForge babble for 8 minutes before shutting it off.

Captain Happy:
    Gerta Rauss,

More likely that Colorado takes Drouin and Florida takes McKinnon.

Colorado is already loaded at centre.

Nashville would take Barkov IMO and Carolina gets the the D they need in Jones.

Based on Mact’s verbal this week, I’d wager they’ll take Nurse.

I’m I’m Sakic I take McKinnon then trade ROR for a DMan.

62. Henry says:

BlacqueJacque:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

I am going to give you the absolute best advice on vodka there is:

Fancy vodkas are shit.Now whether it’s Gray Goose or some fancy boutique drink like that, it’s not going to be better than and likely fundamentally worse than the five major brands out there: Smirnoff, Absolut, Wyborowa, Stolichnaya, and my favorite, Finlandia.

Dead giveaway in the article that the vodka they’re selling is shit?“The company has already earned a reputation for putting out an unusually distinctive vodka, one that tastes markedly of the potatoes from which it’s distilled.”It’s vodka.If it’s good. you’re not supposed to taste anything (other than alcohol).Anybody can make vodka that tastes of something – I mean, look at Russian Prince.Furthermore, if you were to blind taste test the most hoighty-toighty connoisseurs (who are really just well-compensated advertising tools), they wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between the big five and could not possibly begin to identify the various boutique varieties.

Now, if you’re looking to impress people by spending a lot of money on a product where not only you can taste the difference, but the difference is established by hundreds of years of technique rather than dozens of hours of marketing meetings, I heartily urge you to get into the world of scotch or cognac.Once you get more familiar, you can start exploring whiskeys outside the scotch brand name (which is legally limited to products coming out of Scotland), and brandys other than cognac (which is limited to brandy produced in the Cognac region of France.)

Beware anything trendy that claims a long history etc. etc. but you haven’t heard about it until recently and suddenly everyone is talking about it.There was a big campaign to try and sell people on Armagnac a few years ago.Armagnac is a perfectly fine brandy comparable with cognac, the problem is that the brandy market is already saturated and Armagnac just didn’t have the appeal or oomph to establish itself, so as a result a lot of average folk like us bought some very expensive brandy because it had the armagnac name, and a few rich dolts bought fields and distilleries in Armagnac that turned out to be worth a lot less than they’d hoped, once the marketing campaign died off.

I know way too much about liquor.

PS
    Canadian whiskeys are rightly reviled by many connoisseurs.Our regulations are lax and even Crown Royal is nothing but corn whiskey with flavoring added.

However, Alberta Premium is very fine. 100% rye mash. Anyone that visits me from home has to bring me a bottle or two.

63. Beaker says:

Captain Happy:
    Gerta Rauss,

More likely that Colorado takes Drouin and Florida takes McKinnon.

Colorado is already loaded at centre.

Nashville would take Barkov IMO and Carolina gets the the D they need in Jones.

Based on Mact’s verbal this week, I’d wager they’ll take Nurse.

I’m not sure I get this “they wont take the best center prospect because they already have centers thing” A team could literally have 12 centers. Why would you not take what you feel is the best player at first overall? If they think the winger is better, great but I doubt they pass up on the best player just because they already have a few of them. Also I can totally see CO trying to trade up to get both MacKinnon and Drouin. Dont know how they do it but I bet you they try their best to do it.

64. russ99 says:

I swear by Belvedere. Got a bottle in the freezer at all times. :)

Can’t wait for the QMJHL article, LT, seems there’s some kind of bias out there that prospects coming from the Q (other than the top forwards and of course the great Québécois goalie factory) are looked upon as lesser players.

65. Beaker says:

Woodguy,

He’ll have to wait till the middle of the year to do it then. Probably next off season.

66. Henry says:

Captain Happy:
    Gerta Rauss,

More likely that Colorado takes Drouin and Florida takes McKinnon.

Colorado is already loaded at centre.

Nashville would take Barkov IMO and Carolina gets the the D they need in Jones.

Based on Mact’s verbal this week, I’d wager they’ll take Nurse.

Who is Tampa taking in this scenario? Gotta think they will like Jones.

Beaker:
    Woodguy,

Would probably maximize value if they did it at the deadline next year.

GMs lose all sense of reality around the deadline.

68. DeadmanWaking says:

BlacqueJacque,

I’ve always picked Stolichnaya or a Finnish vodka, unless distracted by the alluring image of a white polar bear or some glistening muktuk hors d’œuvre. My tipping point is about a bottle per year ever since that undergraduate post-exam Rubik’s-cube-solving-competition punctuated by 4.5 ounce Black Russians. One guy solved the cube in under 40 seconds after three of those (not quite double his best time), after which the counting and timing became less precise. I managed to solve my third cross-eyed hypercube in under three minutes which was a slow time in that group. Whatever I learned in the 48 hours prior to the exam … gone forever. Our champion didn’t shut his eyes quickly enough on his trip into the residence men’s room with the black and white diamond chuck tile mosaic floor. I managed to navigate the facilities by dead reckoning after one quick peek inside the door (or at least I think I did), so my 3 minute time stood on liquor retained. I did at least manage that on my first trip through the world of oscillating obliques.