2013 ENTRY DRAFT POST 17: THE OILERS AND THE KINGDOM OF SWEDEN

The Edmonton Oilers have invested significant draft bullets in Sweden since 2008, including winger Magnus Paajarvi. Some of the major components of the rebuild are from the Nordic country.

NHL TOTAL PLAYERS/SWEDISH PLAYERS DRAFTED BY YEAR AND TOTAL

• 2011 NHL draft–9 total players, 1 from the Sweden
  • 2010 NHL draft–11 total players, 1 from the Sweden
  • 2009 NHL draft–7 total players, 2 from the Sweden
  • 2008 NHL draft–5 total players, 0 from the Sweden
  • FINAL TALLY: 39 total players, 5 from the Sweden
  • PERCENTAGE: 12.8%

The Oilers use the Swedish talent pool exactly average. However, the club has been using some dear picks on Swedes.

SWEDISH PLAYERS DRAFTED DURING STU MACGREGOR ERA

1. Johan Motin, 103rd overall in 2008 (1 NHL game)
  2. Magnus Paajarvi 10th overall in 2009 (163 NHL games)
  3. Anton Lander 40th overall in 2009 (67 NHL games)
  4. Oscar Klefbom 19th overall in 2011
  5. Erik Gustafsson 93rd overall in 2012

Swedish players are drafted by Edmonton at the rate of 1 per year. Among the available draft talent pools, Oilers like Sweden plenty:

• WHL  11
  • OHL 5
  • Sweden 5
  • QMJHL 3

More interesting, the number of picks inside the top 50 (three of them) towers over the Q (zero) and is even more than the OHL (2, although both #1 overalls). Only the WHL (5 inside the top 5) has more than Sweden, suggesting that (although this is a very small sample size) the Oilers very much like the kinds of players Sweden is turning out nowadays.

It’s kind of the new Finland.

TOP PLAYER FROM SWEDEN, 2013 DRAFT

1. C Elias Lindholm: Outstanding talent, may end up playing the wing.
  2. C Alex Wennberg: Lanky skill center with speed and quickness; playing in Swe2 league.
  3. L Andre Burakowsky: Good puck skills, can make plays at high speed and driving to the net.
  4. L Jacob de la Rose: Can play any F position, gets opportunities, may not be a natural scorer.
  5. D Linus Arnesson: Defensive defender is an excellent skater.
  6. L Peter Cehlarik: Skill W with size.
  7. D Robert Hagg: Has very good skating ability with quickness, agility & power.
  8. L Viktor Arvidsson: Skill winger with outstanding puckhandling ability.
  9. D Niklas Hanssen: Puck mover with skill.
  10. C Viktor Crus Rydberg: Skill C with great potential.
  11. C Lukas Wallmark: Impressive skill, average speed.
  12. D Wilhelm Westlund: Steady, reliable defender.
  13. D Emil Djuse: Skilled, mobile defender.
  14. D Dean Kukan: Smart 2-way player–Swiss.

This list, and the entire series, owes a great deal to Corey Pronman’s magical 1-250 list. It has been a pleasure finding out about this year’s players.

51 Responses to "2013 ENTRY DRAFT POST 17: THE OILERS AND THE KINGDOM OF SWEDEN"

1. theres oil in virginia says:

So, is the topic wine or beer tonight?

I found this wine not long ago, it’s called Tick Tock and it’s a Chardonnay. Really nice, enjoy it very much.

3. maudite says:

Can never go wrong with oyster bay for wines. Surprised how good they all are for price range. My ex wife was a bit of a wino and got a taste for better ones after I assumed all her debt..,so glad when we found that brand lol.

4. theres oil in virginia says:

Looks like that’s an Australian wine. I’ve found that I favor the dry reds, but the sweet whites. Does the Tic Tok chardonnay have a bitter taste? Do you have it with food or before?

5. Mr DeBakey says:

Australian Table Wines

6. prairieschooner says:

Wines????
    Swedes !
    As a former resident of Winnipeg I would just like to say
    Thomas Steen
    Willie Frogs legs Lindstrom
    Lars Erik Shoeberg
    Ulf Nilson
    Anders Hedberg
    On a draft note it would be helpful for us lazy guys if projected draft number was in brackets
    Your number 10 Rydberg looks attractive but is he 3rd or 4th round?

7. theres oil in virginia says:

Mr DeBakey,

That’s awesome. We need more MP references here.

theres oil in virginia:
    Looks like that’s an Australian wine.I’ve found that I favor the dry reds, but the sweet whites.Does the Tic Tok chardonnay have a bitter taste?Do you have it with food or before?

A little dry, but nothing that’s going to overwhelm you. However, it is miles from a sweet white.

9. theres oil in virginia says:

I’ll have to try the Chardonnay style wine again. You never know. I like Liebfraumilch, “semi-sweet”.

I’ve been really impressed by Saad in the playoffs.

10. Lucinius says:

I know nothing about wine (only alcohol I bother to drink is some vodka a friend of mine imports/smuggles[shhh] in from rural Russia.. its nasty and awesome).. so I’ll talk hockey.

I’ve watched all of Boston’s games and I have to say.. Seguin is under-whelming. Good player, usually sound defensively.. but he can’t carry a team. I’ve only seen one game where he was even the best player on his line. He’s also had a couple horrendous give-aways these playoffs that always seem to result in goals against.

And he doesn’t even play center (main reason some argued for Seguin over Hall) in Boston.

11. prairieschooner says:

theres oil in virginia,

I pretty sure he is not a Swede or a wine which I think Gene would say is very saad

12. theres oil in virginia says:

prairieschooner,

Aah, Gene. My high school soccer coach was just like him. Really nice guy, but hopelessly corny.

13. Mr DeBakey says:

I’ll cast a vote for Spanish reds.
    The best values in your local spirits emporium are often in the Spanish aisle – usually involving a blend featuring oaked Tempranillo grapes.

The Swedes have a significant number of decent sized, reasonably skilled D-men this year.
    [The Americans too]
    I’d like the Oilers to look at Cedeholm if he’s still around in the 5th [after their mid-draft siesta]

14. Captain Happy says:

Since there are some here who like both wine and scotch…let me suggest Fume Blanc.

While this white wine is far from a “facedown in a peat bog” scotch, it does have an appealing smokiness.

15. theres oil in virginia says:

Mr DeBakey,

Spanish red, very good suggestion. I don’t think I’ve ever tried one. that’ll be next on my list.

16. theres oil in virginia says:

Clearly that was a trip, but the late call really doesn’t inspire confidence. Was he considering the ramifications of making a penalty call? Wow.

17. Captain Happy says:

theres oil in virginia:
    Mr DeBakey,

Spanish red, very good suggestion.I don’t think I’ve ever tried one.that’ll be next on my list.

Chilean reds are also sublime and reasonably priced.

18. RickDeckard says:

theres oil in virginia,

He was intimidated by the crowd. Why do you think Montreal gets so many calls?

19. prairieschooner says:

Jason Gregor had a small forest fire going today with talk of Horcoff for Komisarek
    I am not sure but it seems that we are de valuing Horcoff.We need an NHL player who can play otherwise we are just dumping for the sake of dumping.
    How come Swedish names and Finnish names are often so different Veli Pekka Ketola?

20. theres oil in virginia says:

RickDeckard,

Yeah, but why wasn’t he going to make the call before the crowd starting booing? He was looking right at it, even Keith knew it was a clear tripping call.

21. Doug McLachlan says:

Sign me up for a Malbec. I love Shiraz but after being introduced to my first Malbec I was sold.

As for Oilers rumours. Any thoughts on a fair price for Letang? How would Hemsky work in Pittsburg? In many ways he’s a poor man’s Hossa who was a good fit with Crosby and company in ’08.

22. theres oil in virginia says:

Doug McLachlan,

Alamos makes a good Malbec.

23. prairieschooner says:

OK
    I give in.
    I like Malbec

24. theres oil in virginia says:

prairieschooner,

Ha! I knew we’d wear you down eventually.

Alright, how ’bout this: If Horcoff went to Detroit, who would they send back? My Red Wings buddy didn’t sound happy when he heard the possibility of a Horcoff trade.

25. Rebilled says:

MacT and Lowe at this game.

Saw MacT talking to Bryan Murray, missed who Lowe was talking to..

26. prairieschooner says:

theres oil in virginia,

I am also partial to a rustic Chianti with Pizza

27. theres oil in virginia says:

prairieschooner,

That must be a really rustic chianti!

Dellatorri is the smoothest chianti I’ve found, and good value.

28. Wolfie says:

My french bias will show through again with wines. I prefer Cabernet Sauvignons. Lately we’ve had Ghost Pines which is an American Cab/Sauvignon and it’s very good. Apothic is another that is a staple here. I also love Cotes du Rhone and Chateau neuf du pape. Couldn’t go wrong with a $5 bottle of Cotes du Rhone on our trip through Provence. If you’re having a big steak and feel like some red to go with it try a Baco Noir. We used to serve a Henry of Pelham Baco Noir on the Via Canadian. Not may have heard of it but it’s awesome with red meats. Everybody who tried it really enjoyed it.

As for whites I’m partial to a good Riesling. I’m less fussy about whites as long as they are cold.

Chicago showing some life. I think this draft is going to be a lively one. The last few have been disappointing in terms of movement. I think draft picks will have even more value because of the shrinking cap. Lots of posturing…. just need this series to end but it looks like it might go the distance!

29. Rondo says:

Orin Swift The Prisoner wine

30. theres oil in virginia says:

Wolfie,

I’ll have to check out Ghost Pines. Columbia Crest (Washington State) makes a good Cab Sauv called Two Vines. They have some higher-end ones too, but the Two Vines is good bang for the buck.

Rebilled:
    MacT and Lowe at this game.

Saw MacT talking to Bryan Murray, missed who Lowe was talking to..

I think we’re going to be reeling next week. Non stop non stop.

32. BlacqueJacque says:

Seguin -3 on the night. Generally mediocre playoff results.

Heh, to think there was a time I really thought he was the better option.

33. Gerta Rauss says:

I think Bettman is going to wear out his stopwatch between teams making their picks. With every pick the teams below are going to reassess the landscape and each pick may trigger handshake deals-and whether each party wants to follow through with said deals. It’s going to be weird and wonderful.

34. Gerta Rauss says:

prairieschooner:

With Horcoff it’ll be about managing what is coming back. I have very low expectations about the return for Horcoff. I have mentioned JM Liles and Scottie Upshall and got very vocal objections from several posters. And that’s fine, we all have our favorites and biases.

Mac T may have to consider a buyout for Horcoff-I know he has publicly stated he would welcome him back, but after he talks with the other 29 GMs and finds out what a Horcoff trade will return, a compliance buyout may be the best course of action.

35. theres oil in virginia says:

I see Horton favoring that shoulder a bit when getting up off the ice.

36. RexLibris says:

Mr DeBakey,

Beauty, you beat me to it.

37. RexLibris says:

Rebilled:
    MacT and Lowe at this game.

Saw MacT talking to Bryan Murray, missed who Lowe was talking to..

Himself?
    Mr DeBakey,

Beauty, you beat me to it.

38. Rebilled says:

It’s too bad that Verizon sold it’s stake in Telus in 2004 or we might be able to tap MacT’s phone calls.

39. theres oil in virginia says:

So, if Couture is signed for $6M per year, what does this say about Gagner’s salary expectations?

40. RexLibris says:

prairieschooner,

Finnish is an entirely different language family.

Most European and Asian languages hail from the Proto-Indo-European ancestor, be they Russian, India (Vedic), Spanish, or the root languages that made up English. Finnish is a Lapland language and bears no resemblance to any of them, in fact it is an entirely separate language strain all its own. One example of Finnish peculiarities as a language is that, when transcribed to English, you pronounce every single letter in a word, so Sauna (Saw-Na) becomes Sauna (Sah-oo-na).

Basque is also a separate language and one look at pronunciations and spelling will tell you that it bears no resemblance to Spanish, Portuguese, French or virtually any other language.

Fascinating stuff when you start to look into it, that there are roots for words like wheel or dog that can be traced to any of a hundred languages and when spoken or written phonetically, one can almost detect an archetypal heritage that just “sounds right” even though it is another language.

Anyway, I know return you to your regularly scheduled sommelier roundtable.

41. RexLibris says:

Rebilled,

Obama’s on it.

42. GordM says:

Rebilled:
    MacT and Lowe at this game.

Saw MacT talking to Bryan Murray, missed who Lowe was talking to..

I think they also showed MacT sitting next to Yzerman at one point.

Poor Tambellini…I try to picture how he would mingle with the GM crowd and all I can see is a mental image of many failed efforts in my high school days to sidle into cool-kid conversation groups.

43. fifthcartel says:

I was happy/sad that Chicago won. I like Chicago, but this delays any Oilers news by a couple days. :(

44. rickithebear says:

OH wine talk!

Workingon a front deck1

A glass each night.
    Monday:
    Gaspereau wines \
    Barel select : Lucie Khulman.
    In laws have 2 Acres of this vine stock!
    Tuesday:
    2008 russian Vallety Cab
    Tonight
    Recline ridge 2006 Ridgeport
    I think i will have a second glass

45. oilersfan says:

For all the chatter on here about wine I am surprised nobody mentioned that on Stauffers show today he basically said that Horcoff will go to Dallas and Hemsky to ottawa or Phoenix.

Considering this blog is about the oilers does nobody listen to oilers now?

46. Bushed says:

A few reasonably priced scotches I like: Talisker 10 yr (seaweedy, peppery, complex flavor, not too heavy on the peat, unique flavor I’ve loved since first taste), Cragganmore 12 yr old (a favorite, solid flavor that evolves through several phases, great finish, character without too much smoke), Auchentoshan Three Wood (heavenly smooth gorgeous balanced flavor; can’t think of a better sherry/port finished scotch for the price), Aberlour 12 yr (a nice “everyday” scotch for a bargain price). Also try Costco’s liquor store (don’t need a membership) for Kirkland branded scotches, which are usually name brands at a huge discount eg. 18 yr old single malt for $45. These sell out very quickly.

If you want to treat yourself, try Highland Park 18 yr old; the company claims it’s the best in the world. It’s definitely at the top end of my list.

Don’t drink Johnnie Walker Red Label–it’s awful stuff. Green Label is OK, but you can buy much better single malts for the same money. Blue Label is a waste of money. Just avoid blended scotch period. There are enough single malts out there that one can spend a lifetime and a small fortune sampling whiskeys (as I have already done).

Costco is also very good for wines of all types and price points. Lowetide, you may like the Kirkland branded Chardonnay. It’s about $12 and I’ve bought 10 just to make sure I don’t run out. It’s a lovely Chardonnay. They also post mini reviews and point scores for many wines, which is useful.

47. OilLeak says:

Alex Wennberg is an interesting player, good skill, creativity, and speed. Seems a little physically underdeveloped being a Sept. ’94 birthday, but it seems he has put on a little size lately (6′ 1.5″ 190lbs) at the combine. Speaks decent English already and
    seems comfortable speaking to the media. I’ve seen him ranked in the 12-15 range, crazy how there are players that project to be top 6 NHL forwards outside the top 10; this is a really nice draft.

I hope the MacT/Yz conversation went like this:

MacT: You trade us Lecavilier and the 3rd for the 7th. We buy out Lecavilier and then you can re-sign him in TBY at a reduced rate since you weren’t the team to buy him out.

Yz: Sold!

49. Bar_Qu says:

I am stunned there were no Hamlet references here. But exceedingly pleased at the wine discussion.

50. G Money says:

I realized with some horror last night that the real reason I’m cheering for Chicago is not just that the ‘style’ is preferable and also more similar to what I see the Oilers eventually playing, but also because it seems a crime against humanity/Hallmanity that Seguin should have two rings already.

Is that petty of me?

Wine suggestions:

Chateau St Michelle Eroica Reisling – contrary to what you might think from the name, this is a Washington St wine. Just tried this a few weeks ago at Gordon Ramsay’s Steak in Las Vegas. Very good. One of my friends (who is a much bigger white wine fan than I) called it the best white wine she’d ever had.

Caymus Zinfandel – big juicy Zin

Faustino Rioja – a tasty Spanish red

51. BlacqueJacque says:

Woodguy,

If I were more confident that Katz is willing to spend and has actual money rather than being a highly leveraged paper billionaire, I’d actually have hope. 3rd for the 7th and money and a chance to keep the Michael Jordan of hockey? Sweet deal from the bolts perspective!