We’re basically one week away from the 2013 Entry draft. As time ticks down it becomes obvious this entry draft will have two Oilers focus points: adding NHL talent (via trade) and adding prospects for the future. The Oilers may draft at 5, 7, 10, 13, 20, or maybe their first selection will be 37. The phrase ‘they’re going to get a great prospect’ may not apply this season to the Oilers.
- L Jonathan Drouin: Just like Propp in 1979, it’s the winger who pushes the offense.
- C Nathan MacKinnon: Impressive player, terrific Memorial Cup probably gets him #1 overall.
- D Seth Jones: It seems he’s falling, but what an exceptional talent–who will be motivated.
- C Sasha Barkov: Impressive in all areas. Complete range of skills and high end in most.
- C Elias Lindholm: Quality offensive player, is getting overlooked based on rankings I’ve seen.
- L Valeri Nichushkin: A man among boys, scoring winger with an explosive quality.
- C Sean Monahan: Two-way C whose offense may be underrated by some.
- D Rasmus Ristolainen: Very little negative, across the board talent.
- D Darnell Nurse: He’s an excellent prospect, 2-way guy with plenty of room to grow.
- C Bo Horvat: Two-way C, lacks high end offense. Horvat may succeed on 2 or 3line.
- C Curtis Lazar: Scoring C who may end up being a winger. A load, skilled.
- D Ryan Pulock: Defender can do it all, plus shot.
- C Max Domi: Skilled C with pluck. Offense is very good.
- C Hunter Shinkaruk: Pure scorer, lacks in other areas.
- C Fredrik Gauthier: 6.05, 210 C with skill, intimidating size and he’ll likely play on a skill line.
- L Anthony Mantha: Goal scorers go high, Mantha hit 50 last season.
- D Josh Morrissey: Fast, skilled, impressive.
- L Kerby Rychel: A trending player, he’s skilled and mean.
- C Alex Wennberg: Lanky skill center with speed and quickness; playing in Swe2 league.
- L Artturi Lehkonen: Skill winger has some outstanding potential but lacks size.
- C Nicolas Petan: Small and extremely skilled.
- D Nikita Zadorov: Huge defender with speed, shutdown player.
- C JT Compher: Skill C, agitator with talent.
- D Mirco Mueller: Smart defender with plenty of skill.
- L Adam Erne: Skill W has some toughness.
- R Valentin Zykov: Solid offensive player with good size, plays a physical style.
- C Ryan Hartman: Good skater very good awareness a player who is no fun to play against!
- D Madison Bowey: Smooth. Fine skater, lots of potential.
- L Morgan Klimchuk: Scoring winger has some nice things.
- C Laurent Dauphin: A very nice skill player.
2013 SUMMER SHOPPING LIST
- Top 4D who can play big minutes and multiple roles.
- Impact 2-way center
- 2line L who with size who can complement the offense
- backup goalie
- Improved depth at C, D and G.
This is my list, in order of importance. The reason I have defense so high is that the Oilers GF should improve this coming season based only on the continuing maturation of the really good forwards. The Oil will >GF this coming year, but cutting back on the GA is going to be an issue.
Looking at the CorsiON it’s reasonable to wonder just how many of these characters will return. Justin Schultz is secure, the Russian Anton Belov is likely to make the team, and I/we’ve got to assume that Smid and Petry return. However, offloading one in the right deal? Something to ponder. I also wonder if Nick Schultz and that cap hit are tradeable after the season he just had in Edmonton. I suspect Fistric will go to market, Potter will have to prove himself in camp to yet another new coach and Whitney is gone baby gone.
THE LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE
This morning at 10, we have a loaded show for you on Team 1260. Scheduled to appear:
- James Mirtle from the Globe and Mail will discuss the NHL awards process, the SC finals and a busy week ahead.
- Alan Hull from Copper and Blue will discuss the Oilers at the draft and trade table.
- Steve Lansky will discuss the SC finals television coverage, the draft and Leafs Nation perculating.
- Andreas Morse will be by with the latest from FC Edmonton.
- Jungle Jim Hunter will talk about injuries and long rehab for athletes.
Hope you can join me, questions and comments welcome. @Lowetide_ on twitter or 10-1260 via text.