Apparently the Oilers are in on every possible transaction. One gets the feeling it could be an active night. Picks and prospects and lord knows what else heading out, actual NHL players coming in. AND a goalie?
- Sign Sam Gagner to a multi-year deal that has begins with a number in the 4′s.
- Get Paajarvi signed and then find a role that suits him (suspect it’s 3line).
- Deal Hemsky for immediate help (even if its a checker).
- Deal Horcoff or slot him into the 3line job for which he is actually ideal.
- Find a 2line L who can complement Gagner-Yakupov with puck retrieval, blocking out the sun, etc
- Find a 3line C to play with Paajarvi
- Find a 2line R to play with Paajarvi
- Find a 4line C to play with Smyth/Brown
- Decide on Lander/Belanger or other for 13F (and 14F if they go with 7D).
- Top 4 defender (a genuinely effective one, no ‘almosts or sortas’)
- Better blue depth (MacT has done this with Belov, plus Klefbom/Fedun/Marincin)
- Backup goalie
- AHL #1/NHL #3 goalie
- Sign Paul Ranger
The Oilers off-season moves so far (firing Steve Tambellini, MacT installed as GM, Eakins new head coach, Keith Acton added to the coaching staff, signing Anton Belov, saying goodbye to Tambellini’s free agents) should have several additions by this time Monday afternoon.
Rumors have the Oilers heavily involved in conversations over Braydon Coburn, Cory Schneider and Cal Clutterbuck. These could be the final hours for Shawn Horcoff as an Oiler, for Ales Hemsky too although reports suggest that’s unlikely this weekend. The Gagner contract progresses, no one mentions the young speed demon Paajarvi.
We wait. But we’re close.