2013 NHL DRAFT POST 20: OILERS PICKS (A GUESS)

We’re just over a week away and at this point there are just a few tumblers left to click: Bob McKenzie’s final list, the top 30′s from speeds, Blue Bullet, SpOILer and of course all manner of misdirection from the 30 NHL clubs.

It’s kind of a fun time for draft fans like me. I kind of know the difference between Max Domi and Bo Horvat, between Mirco Mueller and Dillon Heatherington. I believe the Oilers will get three outstanding chances at grabbing a player, and then three darts at 500 paces to find a diamond in the rough.

Armed with my Oilers history, armed with my own bias, armed with my track record (which suggests this may be an exercise in futility), I embark on the ultimate guessing game: the Oilers at the draft.

• #7 overall: C Sean Monahan slips through the cracks and the Oilers land an outstanding prospect. Offense should be substantial, he has size and plays a 2-way game. The only negative is that it might take him some time to develop into the player Edmonton could use immediately. No matter, he’s going to be worth it when he arrives.
  • #37 overall: G Tristan Jarry: A tremendous SP season despite being a backup goalie with the Oil Kings, and I do think the club probably has an idea about him (he’s in the system). Jarry is ranked early 30′s on my list but is much less famous than Fucale and Comrie and one suspects he’ll go lower than I have him ranked. Having said that, RLR has him as their second G option for the draft.
  • #56 overall: R Michael McCarron is a monster and he’s just getting started. He’s improved his footspeed and brings a 6.05, 228 frame to every meeting. The Oilers will have to wait for him (McCarron is heading to Western Michigan in the fall) and this is an all or nothing selection, but I suspect he has enough of what the Oilers want that they’re going to go all in ear
  • #128: L Martin Reway: Small skill winger, 50 points in 47 gp in the QMJHL. He matches MacT’s late round gem description pretty well.
  • #158: L Edgars Kulda: Moved up the depth chart this season and had a fine run during the playoffs. Two-way winger.
  • #188: R Connor Honey: Another possible late round gem, I have no idea why no one talks about him.

3 from the WHL, 1 from the OHL, QMJHL and USHL.

• Outstanding C prospect
  • Quality G prospect
  • One of the better PF prospects
  • Two offensive W’s who are long shots and a future checker taken 158th.

I think that’s what we’re going to see at the draft.

49 Responses to "2013 NHL DRAFT POST 20: OILERS PICKS (A GUESS)"

1. Rondo says:

LT,

If you had to rank these players for the Oiler’s pick at 7 how would it look ? I believe any of these players could be available at 7.

Monahan
    Lindholm
    Nurse
    Nichushkin

2. speeds says:

Based on MacT’s comments about picking a goalie in the 2nd vs. 5th round, how confident are you that EDM would take a goalie at 37?

Anything’s possible, I would be kind of surprised if they took a goalie at 37. If they took one with ANA’s 2nd, I would be less surprised.

3. fifthcartel says:

If they were going to pick a goalie, I’d hope they would wait till ANA’s 2nd too. Even though I would rather they wait till the later rounds anyways. I would still be really pleased with this draft if it went like this.

PS – Edmonton under flood watch now. N. Sask. River expected to rise 3.5 metres by Saturday.

4. Zack says:

I think Patrik Bartosak could garner some attention. He’s an over-ager but if the Oilers are looking to improve their goaltending prospects they could probably scoop him up in a later round.

W: 33
    SO: 5
    GAA: 2.26
    SV%: .935

EDIT: After looking at Jarry I could see why the Oilers would select him over Bartosak.

5. gcw_rocks says:

I have no problem with the Oilers stepping up and taking a goalie at 37. An elite goalie can cover for a lot of sins and with the cap challenges the Oilers are eventually going to face having a top goalie will be needed to cover for going cheap elsewhere.

6. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Reway. Pleasant surprise. Saw him good at the WJC IIRC. His name immediately recalled something like:

“small skilled forward, tenacious, playmaker.”

a kind of Omark clone.

That could be wildly inaccurate.

I’ll go ahead and echo the hope that they save a G pick for the later rounds. Waste of a platinum bullet IMO. The case of the two Finns should have taught a (tiny sample size) lesson.

7. Melman says:

I really hope the Flames signing of Knight allows Monahan to be there at #7. I can’t imagine a case where Edm. can move up into the top 4. Until Sakic came out and said they were going for a forward the light never came on for me but there should be a decent deal there for Stastny. If you get the right C, RW to go with MPS on the 3rd line I could live with a top 6 of :

Hall, RNH, Ebs
    Yak, Stastny, Gagner

8. Mr DeBakey says:

I think you have Jarry one pick too high.

I’m hoping the Oilers draft looks something like this
    7 Sean Monahan C
    37 Laurent Dauphin C
    56 John Hayden C
    128 Juuse Saros G
    158 Patrik Bartosak G
    188 Austin Lotz G

9. Thinker says:

Heard gilbert might be bought out. Getting him back would be a huge plus.

10. gr8one says:

My absolute dream offseason would be for Vinny Lecavalier to be bought out and him sign with the Oil for about 2m/per for 3-4 years and draft Monahan.

Vinny would be the perfect stop gap second line C and an amazing mentor for Monahan and Nuge.

Two other players that really intrigue me and I think I would trade both seconds to move up to the 17th or 18th spot to nab either Gauthier or Mantha…Mantha especially, I have a feeling he just might become the diamond in this draft..the kid is huge and can just flat out score.

A top 9 in a couple years of:

Hall Hopkins Eberle
    Mantha Monahan Yakupov
    PRV Lecavalier Harski(I think a year in the KHL will serve him well and he will come back and be a fantastic 3rd line RW)

would be amazing!!

#pipedream.

11. DBO says:

Philly still has cap issues even when they buy out people. wonder if we could get Coburn out of them? $4.5 for 3 years for a top pairing dman, with size, physical play and he was solid on the PP before they added other guys. Be a really good 1 LD for us. And he is 28, so he fits our age range.

12. Gerta Rauss says:

DBO,

Coburn would be nice. I’d settle for Meszaros.

13. RexLibris says:

I agree on Kulda. Here is what I wrote about him back in January:

“I’d keep an eye on Edgars Kulda as well. As I said, when it comes to Oil Kings I can be a bit of a homer, but I argued the Oilers should try and take Michael St. Croix, Henrik Samuelsson, and Laurent Brossoit and I think those would all be strong additions to their talent pool. Kulda is a Latvian prospect and we have seen the Oilers go to some interesting lengths to draft another prospect from that neck of the woods. He isn’t a finesse player. That we know. He’s not overly large at 5’11”, 181 lbs. But his style of play has some striking similarities to Kristians Pelss in that he appears to be able to function with skilled players, and hits well and willingly without being a detriment for the effort. I wouldn’t expect to see him taken any earlier than the waning rounds of the draft, rounds 6 or 7 sound about right. But if the Oil Kings invested some time and energy in selecting him and convincing him to come over to North America, you can rest assured that the Oilers share some interest in the young man.”

Ditto for Jarry, and if the Oilers go for Lindholm (see below) they might scratch the size itch with McCarron, as you say. Absolutely agree.

Monahan seems to fit all the requirements listed, but as much as I like MacTavish as a manager, I wouldn’t play cards with him. So, for that reason I think we need to keep Lindholm as a possible candidate here. MacTavish likes competitiveness, heart, skill and a complete game and Lindholm arguably fits that bill every bit as much as Monahan. Also, if he still sees Gagner as a fit for the team then we can at least downgrade size as a significant deciding factor.

You forgot Martin Bobos. As I said in January, “playing for Kosice’s U-18 and U-20 teams. He’s big (6’6, 223lbs), Slovakian, a defenseman, and named Martin. The Oilers are almost obligated to select him.” ;-)

14. striatic says:

Monahan at 7 presumes Calgary takes Nichushkin or Lindholm at 6, right?

any word on how the Flames org see those two?

15. BlacqueJacque says:

Talk is that Flames are taking Monahan. Unless Barkov or Mackinnon somehow slip down.

16. Captain Happy says:

DBO:

Philly has zero cap issues if they buy our Bryzgalov and, even if they don’t, Pronger will be on LTIR.

If both those events occur, Philly is $9M UNDER the cap with a 22 man roster.

They’ll still need to find another goaltender and sign a couple of depth forwards but they won’t be in any cap trouble.

17. Cameron says:

Calgary boards have the likeliest candidates being Monahan and Lindholm followed by an outside chance at Nichushkin. A #1 center is the most glaring of needs for the team, and it is likely they will take one with their top pick.

Flames are also actively looking to move up (offered 3 1sts to Colorado for the top pick), and they have lots of assets to make something happen.

18. Dead Oiler walking says:

We could of course move up from 7 if we include Horcoff (pronounced Horcov; the immigration agent just misspelled it when his ancestors arrived)

19. Captain Happy says:

Strombone ‏@strombone1 43s

I’M WILLING TO STAY, BE THE BACK UP AND PLAY FOR FREE IF THEY LET ME SIT IN AT EVERY TORTS PRESSER! #MAN #MYTH #LEGEND

20. DBO says:

Gerta Rauss,

He would be OK, but I expect Coburn could be had only because he has term left, and next year they have to pay Giroux, Couturier, and Schenn. Meszaros only has one year left, and they could re sign him at a discount. What about the 7th and Potter for Coburn and the 11th. May still get the centre or dman we want, and they save a bunch of money with a shot at Nichushkin (which seems like a Flyers type of player) and move up at the same time (and one mock draft I saw had Monahan at 11. Crazy, but who knows. If they love Nurse or even Lazar or Horvat, 11 is a better spot for them)

So Mact will:
    Trade 7th and Potter for Coburn and 11th
    Sign MacArthur ($3 mill) solid 2/3 LW who can play both ways and be a solid addition as a UFA.
    Re-Sign Gagner long term at $4.5 per.
    Sign Khudobin ($1.5 mill)
    Sign Gordon ($2 mill).
    Re-Sign Smithson ($.800). Yep he’s older, but he is a solid 4th liner and cheap, and it means depth. Something we needed last year.
    Re-sign Jones ($1.25). We need depth real NHLers, and he is that and he will come cheap and wants to be here.
    Trade Hemsky for Stafford (money is close, and it’s been said too many times)
    Trade Horc for our own 3rd rd pick from Dallas (opening up offer sheet possibilities)
    Buyout Belanger

Hall-Nuge-Eberle
    MacArthur-Gagner-Yak
    MPS-Gordon-Stafford
    Smyth-Smithson-Brown
    Jones-Lander

Coburn – Petry
    Smid – Shultz
    Shultz – Belov
    Fedun

Dubnyk
    Khudobin

Roster Size Salary Cap Salary Cap Payroll Bonuses Salary Cap Space
    23 $64,300,000 $65,111,667 $9,150,000 $4,010,833

From capgeek cap calculator.

Solid team. More size, more physical, more balance. And cap wise not a killer once Horc and hemmer are gone. Shultz is gone next year freeing up money, and the cap will rise back to close to $70 mill next year for sure (look at Cup numbers and ticket sales and the lockout has zero effect on fans paying out money for games) so there will be no issue with the cap going forward.

And yes, in Calgary, flood fun. Time on my hands with some beer and wine (talk the other day : Laughinstock Blind Trust 2011 – solid wine) and watching water go by so I have solved the Oilers issues (yes there are more, but I would be happy with that team)

21. speeds says:

DBO,

EDM doesn’t need to trade for their 3rd back for offer sheet possibilities – that 3rd is in the 2013 draft, RFA compensation would involve 2014 picks and EDM (IIRC) has all the required picks for those (the Brown pick to TOR being a 2014 4th round as EDM didn’t make the playoffs)

22. DBO says:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
    My Custom Lineup
    FORWARDS
    Taylor Hall ($6.000m) / Ryan N.-Hopkins ($3.775m) / Jordan Eberle ($6.000m)
    Clarke MacArthur ($3.000m) / Sam Gagner ($4.500m) / Nail Yakupov ($3.775m)
    Magnus Paajarvi ($1.500m) / Boyd Gordon ($2.000m) / Drew Stafford ($4.000m)
    Ryan Smyth ($2.250m) / Jerred Smithson ($0.800m) / Mike Brown ($0.737m)
    Anton Lander ($0.900m) / Ryan Jones ($1.250m)
    DEFENSEMEN
    Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Jeff Petry ($1.750m)
    Ladislav Smid ($3.500m) / Justin Schultz ($3.775m)
    Nick Schultz ($3.500m) / Anton Belov ($1.525m)
    Taylor Fedun ($0.900m) /
    GOALTENDERS
    Devan Dubnyk ($3.500m)
    Anton Khudobin ($1.500m)
    OTHER
    Buried: Ben Eager ($0.175m)
    ——
    CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
    (these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
    SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,111,667; BONUSES: $9,150,000
    CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $4,010,833

23. DBO says:

speeds,

right. Well at this point anything for Horc is a good deal.

24. Kris11 says:

I just don’t see how MacT gets all this done.

Out:
    Hemsky
    Horcoff
    Cruddy players (Jones, Petrell, Khabi, Belanger)

In:
    At least one first pairing D-man
    An entire 3rd line
    A 4th line C
    Solid backup goalke

25. slopitch says:

I’m still not a fan of drafting goalies early. Especially in a deep year.

I’d rather offer picks to teams with goaltending depth like Anaheim.

This is interesting to me but my prospect knowledge is limited after the first round. Truthfully I just read the most bullish reports and become a fan.

26. fifthcartel says:

Kris11,

MacT is going to have to pull of some wizard-like moves, and I am incredibly excited to see how.

27. Hammers says:

Still think we trade #7 to Columbus with N.Schultz for Johnson & #14 . Hemsky to NYI for Neideritter. #14 brings Horvat or if not there Lazaar. No deal for Horc who stays 1 more year before being bought out or he goes to Detroit maybe with Omarks rights for ???? . Buy out Belanger . Both Smithson & Eager stay .Signs 1 UFA or a buy out “D” like maybe a Komisarek or Ballard . Wouldn’t be surprised to see Stafford bought out . Fun times coming .Klefbom starts in OKL for 40 games .

28. Racki says:

At this point, I’m not sure I’d move that #7 anywhere, unless we get a hell of a deal.

Gotta say I’m really liking any of the names in the top 7.. maybe top 8.

Aside from the obvious top 3, I’d be happy with any one of:

Barkov, Nichushkin, Monahan (very much so since he brings a bit of everything in his game), Nurse, Lindholm.

I think any of those players could make a good impact on the team, so yah.. I wouldn’t move the pick unless a great deal comes along.

Hammers: the Johnson + 14 for our 7th is an awful idea. Jack Johnson is overrated… now if you simply just misspelled Johansen, then I’m OK with that :P But no thank you on Johnson.

29. Thinker says:

I really think the oilers need to just stay the course. By all means improve the roster, but avoid subtraction. I think you hold off on a blockbuster trade until the team proves it is a contender. We are still a few years away, which is why I think you keep hemsky until you can resign him to a bargain deal. I’m looking at something like this (names are player types, not individuals specifically):
    Hall RNH Eberle
    Nichushkin Gagner Yakupov
    Paajarvi Antropov Hemsky
    Clowe Gordon Malholtra
    Brown Lapierre

Gilbert Petry
    Schultz White
    Smid N.Shultz
    Belov

Dubnyk
    Khudobin

Call ups:Lander/arcobello, Klefbom/Marincin, Chad Johnson/Olivier Roy

Rondo:
    LT,

If you had to rank these players for the Oiler’s pick at 7how would it look ? I believe any of these players could be available at 7.

Monahan
    Lindholm
    Nurse
    Nichushkin

I would rank them as I did here

5. Lindholm
    6. Nichushkin
    7. Monahan
    9. Nurse

speeds:

Anything’s possible, I would be kind of surprised if they took a goalie at 37.If they took one with ANA’s 2nd, I would be less surprised.

I think they’ll take a goalie, and the top end guys will be gone by end of the second round imo. You may be right, maybe the second pick (ANA’s)

32. VOR says:

If the goal is to guess who the Oilers will take then here goes:

(barring trades)

7- Darnell Nurse
    37- Jason Dickinson
    56 – Ryan Kujawinski
    128 – Justin Auger
    158 – Jesse Lees
    188 – Alex Forsberg (if he isn’t still available then Zac Leslie)

33. sliderule says:

I wouldn’t hazard a guess as to who they will pick after first round.I probably have seen only about half of the players rated as first rounders and hardly any of the second and later rankings.

The one thing they should do is pick big players with good hands.The skating can improve but the hands and in most cases size doesn’t get better..

At seven they will take Monahan or Horvat.They may even take Horvat if Monahan is still there.The guy is going to be a stud.

34. Rondo says:

Interesting, if I had the choice between Lindholm or Monahan. I would take Monahan for the Oilers.
    I think Lindholm is more skilled offensively but in the playoffs Monahan would be more useful. However either one would be great.

Rondo:

Interesting, if I had the choice between Lindholmor Monahan. I would take Monahan for the Oilers.
    I think Lindholm is more skilled offensively but in the playoffs Monahan would be more useful. However eitherone would be great.

The NHL has Lindhom as a 40 point player, Monahan as a 33 point player. That’s a gap that I don’t think should be ignored. Having said that, on a personal level I would prefer Monahan. As a fan, I have my favorites and Monahan is one.

Until the Flames take him, then he’s nothing to me! :-)

36. Rondo says:

My theory is when you a re building a team, you need certain types of players to win. It cannot just be built on offensive skill. If it was just offensive skill you would have an all star team. Edmonton needs a two way Selke type center, and maybe they already have one in RNH but I don’t see it.

When the Russians played Canada decades ago ,they thought Bob Gainey was Canada’s best player before they played. Too me Monahan is that type of player who may or may not turn into the that Selke type player.

Oilers don’t need a Patrick Kane type of player right now , they need to build a team.

I am not saying that Lindholm can’t be that player, because from what I have read he is a two way player.

37. Ca$h-Money! says:

Rondo,

I really don’t understand this (I don’t mean to single you out because you aren’t alone in this).

Why is it we feel Monohan is better defensively than Lindholm? Every report I’ve ever read from people who know Lindholm confirm two things:

1. He is a center. He isn’t a winger.
    2. He is excellent defensively.

Keeping that in mind, he is an NHLe 40 player… that’s gotta be RNH territory offensively. Why is it that if a guy is (slightly) bigger, scores 15%-20% less often, and is from North America, that he’s somehow magically better in the playoffs or on defense?

Drafting is playing the percentages: Lindholm has a substantially better chance of being an impact NHLer than does Monohan.

38. VOR says:

I think one of the changes we are going to see in drafting is that MacT appears to be a value seeker. His first statements about finding players late in the draft suggested he wasn’t going to change the super conservative approach the Oilers have been using in the first round since the MBS era. Then he started talking about Nurse who while not exactly a reach pick wouldn’t be consensus at 7OV. I assumed it was some attempt to encourage trade partners. But I have started thinking maybe MacT knows the draft stats and strategies quite well.

The math says that given a choice at picks between about 5-30 OV you should pick the D-man all else being equal. It is just that you have a slightly better chance of getting an impact player (46% to 39%) if you take the D over the forward in this range. Then you want to go all forwards through round 2. There is little difference in the outlook for goaltenders from round to round. You are as likely to get a great one late (or as a cheap free agent) than in the early rounds. So in the later rounds if there is a goalie (or two or three) you like go for it but not when the odds of getting a useful D or forward are greater – ie. the earlier rounds.

That is my way of saying why I think they might take Nurse. The flip side is the wait time for D is greater than forwards. However, there aren’t a lot of players in this draft who project to play this coming year – after the top 3 or 4 – in any case.

So through the first 2 rounds 7OV-D, 37OV-F, 56OV-F, rounds 4,5,6,and 7 – projects, smurfs, and fallen angels.

Auger is a giant who can skate and plays with skill, Jesse Lees (lack of size) will probably never see an NHL ice surface but is a tremendous D-man at the junior level, Alex Forsberg would have gone in the first round if he hadn’t gotten homesick and bolted to Humboldt. That leaves Zac Leslie – it would not surprise me at all if he went in the second or third round – but it also wouldn’t surprise me if he went undrafted. A good comparable might be Charlie Huddy. Leslie makes it look absurdly easy to play defense at an elite level but isn’t showy enough to be high on scouts lists and isn’t a huge guy. If he is there at 188 and Forsberg is gone the Oilers will take him. They might well take him over Forsberg anyway (the idea that a super talented kid might fall completely out of the draft because he got homesick just seems wrong somehow).

39. Rondo says:

Ca$h-Money!,

I actually agree with you, the size of Monahan and the fact he is Canadian sway my opinion. Not really objective standards but that is my opinion.

40. Romulus Apotheosis says:

My hope is that Monahan is gone and the Oil take Lindholm.

My fear is that Monahan is gone and they take Nurse or trade the pick.

If Monahan is there and they take him, I’ll be delighted. Though I prefer Lindholm.

41. Gino says:

slopitch,

I couldn’t agree more, this draft we are told is one of the deepest in many years and would much rather see us take a skater than a goalie.
    IMO I would rather trade a potential top 6 guy like Rajala for a very good goalie in someone else’s organization. Example, Ben Bishop for Cory Conacher and a forth round pick. I know Rajala is not Conacher but it’s just an example of the type of move I’d rather see.

42. jp says:

Ca$h-Money!:
    Rondo,

Why is it we feel Monohan is better defensively than Lindholm?Every report I’ve ever read from people who know Lindholm confirm two things:

1.He is a center.He isn’t a winger.
    2.He is excellent defensively.

Keeping that in mind, he is an NHLe 40 player…that’s gotta be RNH territory offensively.Why is it that if a guy is (slightly) bigger, scores 15%-20% less often, and is from North America, that he’s somehow magically better in the playoffs or on defense?

Drafting is playing the percentages:Lindholm has a substantially better chance of being an impact NHLer than does Monohan.

I haven’t read “all the reports” on Lindholm, but he only took 67 faceoffs in 48 SEL games this year. That was 6th on Brynas in FO (#5 on the team took 455 draws). Maybe he’ll be able to convert successfully back to C, but he was not playing C much or at all this year.

Otherwise I agree with your point, but him being a winger vs a C completely changes the conversation. Whether Lindholm will play C in the NHL is very much in question.

43. spoiler says:

VOR:

VOR, I enjoy your posts, but I feel the need to point out that there isn’t a consensus pick at any slot. Even #1 overall, allegedly the easiest spot to determine, hasn’t seen a consensus for a few years now.

And where would we find such a consensus?

I suppose you could take one of the service’s lists and speculate that those rankings are a consensus of their scouts, but certainly there is little consensus.among all the various lists.

And Bobby Mac provides us with an average of different scouts’ rankings not their consensus.

44. Rondo says:

spoiler,

How do you think the Oilers rank these players for their 7th pick? Unless they move up or down, 1 of these players will be available at #7.

Monahan
    Lindholm
    Nurse
    Nichushkin

45. spoiler says:

Rondo:
    spoiler,

How do you think the Oilers rank these players for their 7th pick?Unless they move up or down, 1 of these players will be available at #7.

Monahan
    Lindholm
    Nurse
    Nichushkin

No clue on the Oilers. I’m not even sure who I have ranked first of that group yet and I am allegedly working on a list, lol.

It would probably be between Lindholm and Monahan for me. I’m not sure that I have the other two in the top 10.

46. pellmell says:

I’m a reader for years who has never commented, but I HAD to pipe up to applaud the mention of Connor Honey – I’m a hardcore oilers & Thunderbirds fan in Seattle and I totally agree that Honey has flown under the radar. Great all-around winger; decent size & speed, puts up points and backchecks. Very fun to watch.

I don’t know any scouts but I’d guess he’s one of those players about which they’d say “but what ONE thing does he do really well that he could take to the next level?” which is perhaps fair, but I don’t think that could stop him from having the potential for a versatile 2nd-3rd liner as a pro. Would love to see MBS tab him to be an oiler.

I think the Monahan guess is reasonable – I’d be satisfied with that. Interesting to read all the Matheson, etc. speculation about them moving the 7th pick, but there’s so much hubbub about that every year and nothing ends up happening.

47. Romulus Apotheosis says:

pellmell,

Welcome.

What’s your read on the NHL coming to you possibly in the near future? What’s the pulse of the city?

Miss Jamie Moyer or what?

48. pellmell says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Thanks, yes definitely we’ve all got fond memories of Moyer up here…he still has a connection to the city through his charitable foundation so you still see him around here from time to time, which is cool. I’m sure the M’s miss his glory days too, since if an NHL team showed up, they would be in serious danger of falling to about the 5th most popular team in this city.

There is definitely a general feeling around town that an NHL team would be successful off the hop. There’s actually a pretty decent base of hockey fans, and everybody loves the idea of the rivalry with Vancouver. The sounders (major league soccer) were a huge hit right away and if the hockey team could replicate their marketing success, there’s no doubt they’d be big sellers. There is some long-term concern over what you might call “saturation;” the Seattle metro area is big, but can it really support 5 major pro teams (assuming an NBA team comes back), plus the University of Washington basketball & football which essentially function as pro teams? Kind of an open question in some people’s minds.

The talk over a hockey team has definitely taken a backseat to NBA angst, though. As far as the city is concerned, basketball is definitely their number one priority. Despite the fact that quite a few of us think that this devotion to the league is quite ridiculous given how they sanctioned the Sonics departure just a few years ago…but that’s a comment thread for another day.