2013 NHL ENTRY DRAFT POST 18: THE OILERS AND THE REPUBLIC OF FINLAND

About 5.4 million people live in Finland, and at some level Oiler fans are probably connected to all of them. From Risto Siltanen to Matti Hagman to Jari Kurri to Esa Tikkanen to Raimo Summanen to Reijo Ruotsalainen to Janne Niinimaa to Jani Rita to Tony Salmelainen to Jussi Markanen to Joni Pitkanen to Lennart Petrell to Teemu Hartikainen and to the next, we Oiler fans have loved our Finns like they were our own. And those boys paid with their blood, sweat, tears, bones and cartilage, finding their way into our hearts with their character, talent and grit. I do not think it’s a stretch to suggest that Oiler fans don’t completely believe in an Oiler team without a Finn: we’ve never won a damn thing without a son of Finland pulling from our side.

NHL TOTAL PLAYERS/FINISH PLAYERS DRAFTED BY YEAR AND TOTAL

• 2011 NHL draft–9 total players, 2 from Finland
  • 2010 NHL draft–11 total players, 0 from Finland
  • 2009 NHL draft–7 total players, 1 from Finland
  • 2008 NHL draft–5 total players, 1 from Finland
  • FINAL TALLY: 39 total players, 4 from Finland
  • PERCENTAGE: 10.2%

The Oilers have drafted a higher than average number of players from Finland over the last 5 years, 10% of their own total and 10% of the entire number of Finns. We just like them pure and simple. The players Edmonton has drafted are Teemu Hartikainen, Toni Rajala, Samu Perhonen and Frans Tuohimaa. The Oilers don’t spend many high picks–Perhonen was in the top 100–and they have had some success (Hartikainen covered his draft number, Rajala may as well).

The Finns remain part of the Oiler draft map:

• WHL  11
  • OHL 5
  • Sweden 5
  • Finland 4
  • QMJHL 3

TOP PLAYERS FROM FINLAND, 2013 DRAFT

1. C Sasha Barkov: Size, across the board skills and he’s playing in a pro league.
  2. D Rasmus Ristolainen: I stubbornly believe he’s the second best D option.
  3. L Artturi Lehkonen: Finland produces an outstanding skill W who could be underrated at this number.
  4. L Juuso Ikonen: Small, ridiculous skill and an elite passer.
  5. C Miro Aaltonen: 20 year old C with great skill. Undersized.
  6. G Juuse Saros: Impressive goalie.
  7. C  Aleksi Mustonen Imp forward, skilled.

Strong at the top but not a lot of sustain.

41 Responses to "2013 NHL ENTRY DRAFT POST 18: THE OILERS AND THE REPUBLIC OF FINLAND"

1. LoDog says:

We certainly like our Finns. Here’s to harti coming back in a year or two ready to contribute. Oh and drafting barkov would be swell.

2. theres oil in virginia says:

If it’s Porters we’re talking about, I strongly recommend Samuel Smith’s Taddy Porter.

On the other hand, if you prefer IPA, it’s hard to beat Dogfish Head 60, 90 or 120 minute IPA. (60 minute is the weakest and easiest to drink.)

They all have really high alcohol content, but either way, Dave Nonis will have to drink a lot of them before he trades Jake Gardiner simply to move up from 21 to 7 in the draft.

3. BlacqueJacque says:

You prefer Ristolainen over MacT’s new mancrush? Care to elaborate? Scouting reports or…?

4. "Steve Smith" says:

theres oil in virginia,

One of the things I miss about Fredericton is their brewery, Picaroon’s (which is the best brewery in New Brunswick, unless you like fucking blueberries in your beer). They make a hell of a porter – Man’s Best Friend (which I’ve always maintained is a porter in any event). Not available out here; tragic.

I’ve had a decent one in Salt Lake City, too, called Polygamy Porter, whose novelty name and label belied its quality.

I love porters. IPAs are maybe the most overdone brew in North America.

I’ve had Ristolainen ahead since the beginning. I like the scouting report and both of the lists I consider the strongest (McKenzie, Pronman) have them in that order, too. I like Nurse a lot, just a little behind Ristolainen.

6. Dead Oiler walking says:

Since we’re talking about Euros, I have a theory about why Euro D should adapt faster than Euro forwards. Not claiming originality; just discussing. It seems to me that the bigger ice surface means that D have a lot more ice to cover (tougher). Conversely, forwards have more space to attack (easier). When they come to the smaller rinks in NA the defense has less ice to cover so adapting is adapting to something easier. (not hard to do). Conversely, Ah you get the picture.

So Klefbom (pronounced clay-bomb the f is silent) may have no trouble adapting as compared to Paajarvi (however to hell you pronounce it) who was able to use his speed more effectively on the larger ice and has to learn how to drive to the net instead of having being able to just blow past defenders.

Ergo, notwithstanding injury time, Klefbom may be ready.

7. Melman says:

LT – apologies for going off topic, but if: Colorado takes 1 of the Fwds like they say – do you make a pitch for Stastny? 27 yrs old, good 2nd line C, 52% on the dot, average size and you could entice Col. with a D package/prospect/picks and because he’s only got 1 year left the price may be reasonable.

I confess I haven’t seen him on the ol’ Vollman, but in particular if Horc goes – barring a trade for that mythical 2C who is available – would he not be a great fit? A little pricy, but only 1 year left on his deal and he can buy some time while the Oilers wait for the C they draft this year to develop.

8. theres oil in virginia says:

Dead Oiler walking,
    Did not know that about Klefbom pronunciation.

Might it also be true that it will be tougher to move the puck out of the D-zone on the smaller ice? Tougher to hold the puck in the O-zone with less ice between you and the collapsed forward?

9. Melman says:

Dead Oiler walking,

I hear what you’re saying about the fwds, when you watched Paajarvi in his rookie year, his angles were all off. It was clear he had the skating but he’d get over the blue line and end up going to a dead spot on the ice. One of the big improvements in his game this year was his ability to go to the net effectively and I (humbly) suspect that his stint in the AHL gave him time to adjust as the speed/quality of the D was lower and gave him some physical and mental space to sort out that adjustment.

10. fifthcartel says:

On TSN Dreger said the Oil will probably take some of Horcoff’s salary on in order to make it easier to move him. Stauffer was hinting at Dallas.

DOW: KLAY-BOM? Well that’s no damn good, I was looking forward to 20 years of Klefbom stuff. “Dropping the Klefbom” “have the Russians invented the Klefbom” “Treble-Klefbom” you CANNOT take that away from me!

Melman: Like Stastny, haven’t run him through the Vollman sledgehammer but suspect he isn’t worth the coin based on the number. That’s not so bad, he’d come at less than 100 cents on the dollar. I’m open to it, put it that way.

12. jake70 says:

“Steve Smith”:
    theres oil in virginia,

One of the things I miss about Fredericton is their brewery, Picaroon’s (which is the best brewery in New Brunswick, unless you like fucking blueberries in your beer).They make a hell of a porter – Man’s Best Friend (which I’ve always maintained is a porter in any event).Not available out here; tragic.

I love porters.IPAs are maybe the most overdone brew in North America.

Lol, I now I am guessing you had the bottled stuff, and not the fresh brewed stuff over here in their Moncton pub (unless you made a trip or two over during your time here). I can’t guess how many pies I could have made over the years with all the blueberries I “drank” at the Pumphouse. Get a buzz and some antioxidants, why not.

13. BlacqueJacque says:

I noticed you like Ristolainen more, I just never asked before. Was also unaware that Pronman and Big Bob both have him ahead of nurse. Which strikes me as really odd in that Nurse has a higher NHLE despite being a defensive dman with a lot of crash and bang in his game.

14. theres oil in virginia says:

LT’s worst fears confirmed by Bruce McCurdy:

Are you editing your “Top 30″ list as we speak? I’m sure you could still have fun with “Clay-boom” and its variants.

You guys are trying to hurt me with this, right? CLAY BOMB? Nooo. No. No. No.

16. BlacqueJacque says:

I thought you already knew. In fact, I thought I’d read it on this site.

Nah, they’re trying to fool us like they did with Linus. No damn way. I’m going Klefbom.

18. prairieschooner says:

I think I want see Gene Principes’ draft selection because you know it will be based upon a different set of criteria

19. theres oil in virginia says:

You mean “Leenoos”?

From the mayoclinic online: “Denial is a coping mechanism that gives you time to adjust to distressing situations…”

20. BlacqueJacque says:

prairieschooner,

1. Darnell Nurse.
    2. Hunter Shinkaruk.
    3. Curtis Lazar.
    4. Max Domi.
    5. Sasha Barkov.
    6. Robert Hagg.
    7. Sean Monahan.

21. gogliano says:

French Principe says: Looks like your plans just went Key-Boom.*

* Doesn’t make sense.

22. RexLibris says:

Maybe he’ll change it once he comes over, like Paajarvi dropped the Svensson just for Rod Philips.

;-)

23. RexLibris says:

BlacqueJacque,

You forgot Nichushkin.

24. Joel Pepin says:

So if an opposing forward rips past Oscar, we’ll hear about his feet of clay-bomb?

25. VanOil says:

Long Rambling Notes, from a long rambling (traveling) hockey fan.

My trip to Saskatoon cemented my opinion that Domi was over rated and MacKinnon underrated. I am a glad this is gathering consensus.

Toronto is lucky their buffoon of a Mayor distracted them from one of the epic last minute chokes in all sport history.

Halifax is not only graduating MacKinnon, Drouin but the goalie Fucale all three might go in the first round, despite the idea of taking a goalie in the first round is crazy – some GM’s are crazy.

Hockey rinks belong in the city center. Boston, Pittsburgh and Chicago have knowledgeable passionate hockey fans. New England in general is overrated as tourist destination (go to Atlantic Canada instead), Pittsburgh is underrated and a game at Wrigley field should be on your bucket list. Pittsburgh fans don’t yet feel Fleury is a problem. Chicago, NYR and Boston fans felt Krueger had to go because he did not win with a talented team that was together in the AHL. The Oilers young stars are known and respected, the Old plumbers not considered an excuse.

Boston and Chicago sports fans are both regarded as some of the most passionate (best) on the continent. I give the edge to Chicago because they are less obsessed with New York and pregame at Wrigley beats pregame and Fenway. Neither city, as knowledgeable and passionate about hockey as they are, comes anywhere close to Canada’s worst hockey city when talking about Cup run passion. Vancouver fans may cheer for the name Vancouver more than the oft changing and sometimes ridiculous logo on the sweater, but they do so at an epic scale during a cup run. Canada needs to win another cup soon.

Seattle can easily support an NHL team, even if they have to spend a few years in the Key Centre. A wining team would help but the dyer brand of trap hockey Coyotes play is the real curse. I hope Bettman can read the sub-text of last nights NY Times article about last night’s game. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/21/sports/hockey/the-night-the-hockey-nets-opened.html?_r=0 If the NFL can essentially ban all contact with offensive players and the NBA give up any pre-text of a traveling rule surely the NHL can enforce the rules already on the book like they did after the last lock out to give us entertaining hockey. Hockey is on the verge of becoming a boring Soccer like joke for Americans.

I will miss Krueger’s long form interviews and press conferences, he offered real answers. Eakins is right to believe in fitness, but aside from some over talked about examples, over training is more of a concern for me with elite athletes than under training. Hall, Nuge and Yak have all exhibited a passionate psychopathy to become the best in the world at what they do for their age. These players need to be bridled not whipped. Eakins team of individual’s philosophy should account for this.

Gardiner for the 7th pick – yes. Skills trumps size. Yes we would have a young and inexperienced D. Much like our young inexperience Forwards. They would be good enough to make the playoffs and get some experience; we won’t win the Cup until Nuge can grow a beard, his mustache is just starting to fill in nicely this summer.

Summi. Finns are great more please

26. JohnnyRocket says:

Old Engine Oil – Harviestoun Brewery (in Scotland). Dark and delicious. Best porter I’ve had, but goodness knows I have many more to go.

But for an real treat try the Ola Dubh 12, 16 or 18 by the same brewery. It is Old Engine Oil porter barrel-aged in 12, 16, and 18 year old Highland Park whisky casks.

From their website: “The aroma is delicious; smoky Worcestershire sauce, leather, iodine and grilled steak. Flavours of smoky-sweet malts, roasted peat, coffee beans and a well-bittered finish.” I couldn’t describe it better.

They are available here and well worth the price at around $7 a bottle.

Virgina- Samuel Smith’s Taddy Porter is a fine beer.

Steve Smith- Polygamy Porter? Love the name. Have flown the idea by the wife a couple of times. Didn’t go well.

27. VanOil says:

The booze file.

Most brands (90% I think) of American Vodka’s are made by Archer Midland Daniels. You just buy the label. If you can find ‘the Shopping Bags’ vodka taste test video online watch it, the write up does not do it justice. http://www.annaandkristina.com/vodka/

New Zealend and South African Whites, Chilean and Argentinean reds are where I head if I am not buying old world wines. The wine grading systems of Italty, France, Spain and SA are worth becoming somewhat familiar with when wine shopping. Walla Walla Washington is a great and somewhat unexpected place to spend a weekend tasting wine, 20 odd tasting rooms in the town center.

Scottish Speyside Whiskeys are the standard to which all others are compared to for a reason. Japanese and Indian Whiskeys are remarkably drinkable. Booker’s bourbon is the best I have found in the States.

American beer now maybe the best in the world, but it is not cheap. To qualify this opinion, recently also expressed by the Economist newspaper, I have drank beer on 5 continents and 2 sub continents, been a member of the Campaign for Real Ale in the UK and went to a fair share of festivals and breweries including the Wiesn. Canada needs to modernize our liquor laws to keep up and stop buying Coors Light and Budweiser, even American don’t drink that piss any more.

28. Bruce McCurdy says:

Good

theres oil in virginia:
    LT’s worst fears confirmed by Bruce McCurdy:

Are you editing your “Top 30″ list as we speak?I’m sure you could still have fun with “Clay-boom” and its variants.

Have no fear, that post was written in 2011 September. When Sweden played Canada in an exhibition game just before Christmas three months later, there was a media scrum with him afterward. I just now listened to the voice recording I made. I had a chance to ask Oscar one question as it broke up, and it was “How do you pronounce your name?” His response was “Klefbom” — no duh, but almost phonetic to how one might read it. Slightly more “boom” than “bomb” (still works!), but no silent “f”, he definitely pronounced the first syllable like treble “clef”.

29. theres oil in virginia says:

Bruce McCurdy:
    Good

Have no fear, that post was written in 2011 September. When Sweden played Canada in an exhibition game just before Christmas three months later, there was a media scrum with him afterward. I just now listened to the voice recording I made. I had a chance to ask Oscar one question as it broke up, and it was “How do you pronounce your name?” His response was “Klefbom”— no duh, but almost phonetic to how one might read it. Slightly more “boom” than “bomb” (still works!), but no silent “f”, he definitely pronounced the first syllable like treble “clef”.

Well, you asked him the right question for sure!

You hear that LT? You can put Klefbom back to #1 on your prospects list. All is right with the world again.

Well, I’m fine with KLEF-BOOM. Whew. That was close!

31. FastOil says:

VanOil:
    Long Rambling Notes, from a long rambling (traveling) hockey fan.

Summi. Finns are great more please

Skill doesn’t always trump size. As Vic Ferrari says, context is important. You shouldn’t choose size over skill is likely more accurate. And never draft players that project to a 4th line or 3rd pairing role.

Edit – perhaps before the 4th round?

32. Dead Oiler walking says:

Hang on a second there Tidey.

Out for dinner just got back. I got my pronunciation from your good friend Dohfos at Swedish Oil.

Apparently I misspelled the pronunciation. That should have been ” (pronounced “KLae-bom” – with a slightly longer “o” and a silent f)”.

Are you going to take Bruce’s Canadian ear over Dohfos?

I don’t trust anyone under 40.

34. Dead Oiler walking says:

I’m the guy who was there to see Moog beat Les Habs. Oh are you saying Dohfos is under 40. Or are you replying to another post. I’m so confused.

35. Dead Oiler walking says:

Damn. My whole point in the first post was to say Klae ffffffffff la bomba might be ready. Where did I go wrong. I’m so confused

36. "Steve Smith" says:

jake70,

Actually, I did once attend the Pumphouse pub itself, though I think I might have been drunk already by the time I got there. And I didn’t have the blueberry shit there, or out of the bottles, because I actually don’t like blueberries in any context. I can’t actually remember what I drank there, but I know it wasn’t better than Man’s Best Friend.

37. Rondo says:

BlacqueJacque,

Nurse is not just a shut down D-man.

” Offensively, he’s very solid and there’s massive room for growth in that department. He played on the second powerplay unit because the Hounds had two of the best (including the CHL d-man of the year) running the top unit, which got 75% of the time. When he’s on the first unit next year, his stat line will jump.”

38. Bruce McCurdy says:

Dead Oiler walking,

LT, if I remember my recorder I’ll play you that clip next time I see you.

Bruce McCurdy:
    Dead Oiler walking,

LT, if I remember my recorder I’ll play you that clip next time I see you.

Cool.

40. Zack says:

I believe obtaining the pick #4OV to #5OV would be an extremely lofty pipe dream and would probably require more than what the Oilers would be willing to give. I think it’d take more than Paajarvi (possibly Gagner) + #7OV. Having Barkov would be unreal but I just can’t see it happening.

On a complete side note I came across a video of Konstantinov today, it’s a touching story. I sure wish some more Dmen would play like he did today.

On another tangent I thought about effective well rounded D with a mean streak (Pronger/Souray/ arguably Weber), as much as I’d like to see Nurse reach that potential I just don’t see it in his cards. He’d definitely need some seasoning and beefing up before he could patrol the blue in the show.

41. Cobbler says:

“Steve Smith”,

Thanks for bringing back the Picaroons memories. Was there in the early days (iirc 1994-1999) when they had the Tap Room on the go. Spent many a night there. I haven’t found too many beers since then that taste as sweet as that.

In St. John’s now and Yellowbelly craft some excellent beers.