If we take Craig MacTavish at his word (they like C’s MacKinnon, Barkov, Monahan) there are a few options for the club at #7–depending on how this thing shakes out.
Let’s see if we can mock the top 6 at this year’s draft–just to see the list of players who might be available to Edmonton when they pick at #7. I think we can probably assume the big Russian goes before the Oilers pick:
- Colorado: C Nathan MacKinnon
- Florida: D Seth Jones
- Tampa Bay: L Valeri Nichushkin
- Nashville: L Jonathan Drouin
- Carolina: C Slava Barkov
- Calgary: C Elias Lindholm/C Sean Monahan
- Edmonton: ?????
I think there are four possible actions for the Oilers at #7
- draft Sean Monahan (should this be the outcome)
- trade up for Barkov or Nichuskin or Monahan
- trade back in order to get one of Bo Horvat or Curtis Lazar along with another pick in the top 60 overall
- trade the pick completely in exchange for immediate help
Now, a question for you: with the understanding that MacT has ‘changed priorities ahead’ which one would you choose?
(my sincere thanks Carey Du Gray for the photo, it arrived moments before I posted this, and at the exact moment as I was in search of a photo. Music!)