EXIT YAK CITY?

Bruce Garrioch has an article out today that runs through trade rumors and one of them involves the Oilers and Nail Yakupov. As noxious as the idea may be, this is the second time it’s been in the national media.

• Garrioch this morning: “Been told Oilers GM Craig MacTavish has been busy working the phones. He wants to get help immediately, which means he could use some of the club’s young assets to see if he can find the right piece to get Edmonton to the playoffs. There is talk the Oilers may move right winger Nail Yakupov to bring back a package.”

Before we go off half-cocked, let’s review exactly what Garrioch is saying here. “There is talk” and “may move” are not strong, powerful words, and that suggests that it’s an idea as opposed to a plan–something that could have come from anyone. Also, there’s a vague mention of return, again suggesting that any discussions are in the  early stages.

This marches in lock step with an Elliotte Friedman item earlier this spring, in which he talked about the Oilers, Gagner, Yakupov and others. I wrote a post about it over at Oilers Nation (here) and wanted to grab a couple of quotes:

• Friedman on Yakupov: This is purely my opinion, but I think Edmonton would listen to a massive offer. It’s nothing against the player, it’s more about circumstance. To get quality, you have to give up quality. If MacTavish really wants to make a bold, aggressive move, this is the name on the roster that fits. But the trade would have to be spectacular.

So, the idea has been out there for awhile. Now, these items have to be set against the backdrop of MacT’s words and actions. Early in the process he talked about the kids and basically said trading any of them was highly unlikely–in other words it would have to be a spectacular return. Is that return available and out there? Would it involve the number 1 or 2 overall selection this year (and Nathan MacKinnon)?

For me, I don’t make any kind of deal for Yakupov, Nuge or Hall. However, MacT would be a fool not to listen and if there’s a spectacular offer that involves the sun, the moon and the stars well he’ll take that call and listen. After that, I don’t think anything comes of it. The optics of a failed trade of Yakupov (which could come through injury, performance or perception) would stay with the new GM forever.

Budding under all of this: the rumors we heard at the draft last summer. Yakupov was not the organizational slam dunk that Hall/Nuge were in their draft seasons.

gagner common1

The problem for MacT that involves Yakupov also involves Sam Gagner and Ales Hemsky (2line sinkhole). I do believe (and have for some time) that the Oilers want to sign Gagner, and the only thing standing in the way is dollar and term. Again from the Spring 30 thoughts:

• Friedman on GagnerMy belief is the Oilers would like to sign Gagner, but their past reluctance to do it gives him the leverage. He’s a talented centre one year away from unrestricted free agency at age 24. Here is what the Oilers could do, though. He becomes a restricted free agent this summer. Other teams can talk to him. If one can work out a new contract, is there a trade to be made? If not, Edmonton matches and controls him. Gagner’s value provides incentive for a willing partner to work out something. What mix of players/picks/prospects would a team be interested in dealing for a signed Gagner?

This spring, the smoke has been around Yakupov, Gagner and Paajarvi. I think one of those three could go this summer. If it’s Yakupov we can assume the new GM is going to rip this thing apart and that more than a half dozen jobs will change hands. A Yakupov trade would represent the biggest exit this team has seen in many years. The risk of losing the deal is enormous,  franchise altering and more than a little dangerous.

My bet is the Oilers address need in a less spectacular fashion.

nbnw1

This morning at 10, we’ll talk Yak, the draft and more on the Lowdown with Lowetide (Team 1260). Scheduled to appear:

• Bruce McCurdy from the Cult of Hockey. We’ll talk Yakupov, Belov, draft and Anton Lander.
  • Aaron Vickers from Future Considerations. Their draft guide is out! and we’ll preview and discuss the suddenly fluid top 10.
  • Rob Soria from Oil Drop. We’ll talk Scott Hartnell, coaching options and goaltending.
  • Eric Rodgers will preview tonight’s OKC-Grand Rapids G6.

Hope you can tune in.

124 Responses to "EXIT YAK CITY?"

1. regwald says:

If MacT wants a bold move, I would rather see them move Gags than Yak. The kind of difference maker and passion that Yak brings to the game exceeds what Gags can deliver.

The only good thing about this is Garrioch is wrong more often than not. I am sure with the phone lines now open at the Kingsway offices, MacT is getting lots of feelers and tire kickers. Listen to them all MacT, listen to them all. Then make the best hockey decision. I doubt that means moving Yak.

There are very few guys who you could build a trade offer around for Yakupov imo. Maybe Tallon works something around #2 and Kulikov? Not many deals out there to satisfy a rookie GM dealing Yakupov imo.

3. dawgtoy says:

“My bet is the Oilers address need in a less spectacular fashion.”

Moving 64 might come back to haunt, I’d sooner move 14. My hope is changes can be made without moving any of the Fab 5.

4. dawgtoy says:

Any deal involving 64 would have to involve an established C coming back. Anything else would look like a lateral move at best. At a certain point this team needs to find established players to fill needs, rather then praying and waiting on picks. I’m holding out for the improbable 3 for 1.

5. Ca$h-Money! says:

They can’t trade Yakupov… he’s become my favorite player after only a year of playing limited minutes. I can’t remember the last time I saw a player enjoy playing hockey as much as he does.

My two year old knows Yakupov. When we play hockey he’s Dubnyk (playing forward though) and I’m Yakupov… when I score he yells “YAK ATTACK!”…. how do I explain a trade to a two year old?

This makes me sad.

6. Racki says:

I don’t think Yakupov will be moved, and I’m still appalled anytime anyone mentions Jordan Eberle as a possible trade (@ my buddy Dawgtoy). I think MacTavish is going to do what Craig Simpson suggested (last week?) and try and make that deal where they send a few assets for one good player.

I’d say with the #7 (and even 2014 #1), some of our D prospects (Marincin, Gernat, Fedun), vets (Gagner, Hemsky, Jones if signed, Dubnyk, N. Schultz), the forward prospects (Paajarvi, Lander, Hartikainen, Rajala)… the Oilers can slap a package of a few of those guys and try and land a big fish. Think the Chris Pronger deals that involved Edmonton, perhaps. We also have the ability to eat some cap hit, if need be, which could be valuable to a team considering off loading a big name player.

Yah, for sure guys will come asking for Yak, Hall, Eberle, Nuge, but doesn’t mean we have to give them to them, and doesn’t mean they wouldn’t accept a few less home-run prospects instead.

I’m sure MacT has been busy trying to do this, however.

7. Maverick says:

I hope they don’t move Yak. Its hard to believe they would move a player who loves the game, loves the city and is proud to be an Edmonton Oiler. (ie) his last twitter picture wearing Oiler merchandise on the beach! I think he could be a great ambassador, he is comfortable with the media, is intelligent and has fun with the game he loves.

Comparing the young stars, they are all good hockey players but the mix of personality might come into play; Hall doesn’t have the “fun” personality, more intense, Type A personality. Eberle’s personality is more of a smart ass, intelligent, but I can see his personality might rub guys the wrong way. Nuge is a quiet reserved, Gagner is mix of all of them, and MPS is more like Nuge. Moving forward will the mix of personality play a role?

If its me, I find another alternative than trading Yak, he might be the best of all of them. If I’m choosing its Gagner or MPS that will be leaving.

On a sidenote; Just finished listening to yesterday’s podcast of Lowdown and it was great interviews with Tyler and Pat, its kinda cool to put (faces) yes,I know voices, to the people who write the blogs and comments. Great show Alan!!!

8. admiralmark says:

The key words i find from Bruce’s article is where he mentions that MacT could use some of the club’s young assets to see if he can find the right piece to get Edmonton TO THE PLAYOFFS. And there are many moves that could get the Oilers to THE PLAYOFFS. Problem is we’re not trying to get to the playoffs ultimately, Its all about championships. And we are not simply one blockbuster deal from a Stanley Cup here. We need a few more prospects to develop. So I dont believe now is the time to go “all in” and sell the farm. I also don’t believe that MacT feels the desperation that this article suggests.

9. slopitch says:

What about something involving McDonough and Stephan? Yak would become a legend in NYC.

Then Horcoff and 2nd for tytuin?

I dunno I’m spitballing. Don’t like moving Yak.

10. Hall Awaits says:

No way they trade Yak. The fact they’re bringing in another Russian in Belov gives me hope they’re trying to give Yak a more comfortable environment next year. Getting him a couple young Russians could go a long way. Bruce usually just throws a bunch of crap at the wall and sees what sticks. Plus if your trading Hemsky can you even begin to think about trading Yak to?

Ill take Nikitin or Tyutin over Weber any day if that means we keep Yak.

11. wheatnoil says:

I think the article does the job of drumming up interest. MacT talks about Bold Moves, but that was a few weeks ago. Now, as the draft approaches, word leaks out that Yakupov is available. It might get the phone lines going. Then MacT can respond, “Well, I’m not sure that’s a large enough package for me to give you Yakupov, but how about…”

The other thought I had was that there was all that Murray talk before the draft last year when the Oilers took Yakupov. Maybe they’re eyeing Seth Jones… of course, there’s no way Colorado does the trade. Florida’s #2 is a more likely bet.

I think and hope the Oilers keep Yakupov, but if I’m going to play Devil’s Advocate with myself and I look at the roster, I see the Oilers have 2 first line young wingers (Ebs, Hall, Yak) and 1 first line young centre (Nuge). They also have 1 potential first line young winger (Yak) and 1 potential top 2 D (J. Schultz). Looking at it strictly from that standpoint, wouldn’t it make sense to convert the potential first line winger into a second potential top 2 D? If only it was so easy.

12. misfit says:

I guess it’s one thing to talk about, but I put absolutely ZERO weight in anything Garrioch suggests is being discussed in terms of trade talks. The guy is the biggest hack in the business and it’s not even close. I actually stop reading at “From the Ottawa Sun…” now rather than waiting to see if Garrioch was the guy who wrote it.

I’m less opposed to the actual idea of trading Yakupov than I am in believing anything he writes on the trade front, though I can’t think of a realistic offer that would tempt me to pull the trigger.

13. Rondo says:

For those interested Craig Buttons final list is up

14. slopitch says:

Jeez … Zachary can Fucale right off. Don’t use a first that high. Seems like everyone is dropping Lindholm a bit.

15. Jesse says:

Yak moved his WHOLE FAMILY to Edmonton and has repeatedly said how much Edmonton reminds him of home. He kisses the logo when he scores, leaps at the fans.

I think I’m bordering on Wanye/Eberle love with Yakupov. He’s a joy to watch. For someone who is too young to have experienced the glory years and who began watching in ’99-’00, Yakupov is the first real electric player that I’ve seen, IMO. Hemsky has been fun to watch, and Hall has been incredible. But Yakupov just seems different. He’s got a spark and personality and an innocent love of the game. If they trade him I’ll lose it.

16. regwald says:

Well, I doubt that anyone takes a goalie that high. I would be surprised if a goalie went in the top 10. Interesting that has Nurse dropping a couple of spots.

Other think of note, he has a lot of movement in his list positions between this list and his previous. A lot of players jumping significant spots. I wonder if that is because he had a lot of viewing of certain players in the playoffs helping them jump up his list.

17. Bruce McCurdy says:

Hall Awaits: Bruce usually just throws a bunch of crap at the wall and sees what sticks.

Hey!

18. Vaclav says:

Unless the return includes a Pietrangelo, Ekman-Larsson, Doughty or Karlsson I can’t see the long-term value in moving Yakupov.

Eberle (sorry Racki) makes more sense because the organization jumped the gun on his contract and his upside appears to be less than that of Yakupov.

19. Mark-LW says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

20. dawgtoy says:

Jesse,

Completely agree.

If it appalls to mention Ebs, so be it. If I HAVE to move one of the five, IMO it’s Ebs without question. Love him, but that may be the unfortunate price that needs to be paid. If you had to move one of the elite kids, which would you move?

21. dawgtoy says:

Vaclav,

Yes, this all day!

22. Hall Awaits says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Hahaha not you bud. I enjoy your hockey and astrology talk:-)

23. Racki says:

I don’t believe that is the case, myself. I personally see it different.. I think fans have jumped ship already, because of one less stellar season in which he played a chunk of it while recovering from a broken finger. I get that his first two seasons could be better than they appear due to the unsustainable shooting %, and such. But I think last year was a small exception, and it was still a fairly respectable year, goals wise.

Between Yakupov and Eberle, I don’t think it’s a guarantee Yakupov will be better, offensively, but I do think he will be. But that said, I think Eberle still will be a very good player, back to year 2 form, and will be a bit more consistent in his scoring, as well as score some key goals. So I personally wouldn’t trade either.

It kind of irks me a bit how quick fans are to sell players off here. Nuge and Eberle played a fair bit together this year, and each struggled a bit (and both weren’t 100% health wise), so that could play a part. I suppose this could be similar to Cogliano where we hang on to someone too long and lose that opportunity to get max value for a guy. But I think Eberle is more the year 2 guy than the year 3 guy.

24. FrankenOil says:

As great as Yak looks like he is GOING to be, that’s just it. He’s still developing. We aren’t going to get a package for a player that showed he can contribute at a decent clip at the NHL level. I’m not sure what kind of package one can reasonably expect for Yak. IMO, we’d be selling low if we traded him now as his value would only be a lottery pick and maybe another prospect or 2nd Rounder. I would say that Yak would be, in equivalent terms, right there in the same mix as the top 4 in this draft (ie. possible franchise player). But is he better than any of those guys at thgis point? That is to be determined.

25. regwald says:

Hall Awaits:
    Bruce McCurdy,

Hahaha not you bud. I enjoy your hockey and astrology talk:-)

So what is your sign Bruce ?

Maybe Astronomy ? lol

26. LMHF#1 says:

I’m led to believe anything short of “here, have our whole team” or “here, have Shea Weber and two firsts” wouldn’t be enough. They didn’t expect Yakupov to come on the way he did, or to be such a hard worker/enthusiatic Oiler.

He’s a keeper. Big time.

27. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I’ve been warning about this for a while now.

As much as we’d love to see the triumphal 3 for 1, everyone else seems assured the Oil are looking for the devastating 1 for 3 in the Gaborik mould.

To which I say:

28. Vaclav says:

Racki,

I’m certainly not advocating trading Eberle. Far from it. If there’s a way to keep him and Yakupov and still be able to upgrade the areas of need then I’d rather Eberle remain an Oiler.

You’re right in that the Oilers do possess assets in draft picks, roster players and prospects that may be sufficient to acquire what they need without moving one of the Fab 5.

But if St. Louis came calling and said they’d swap Pietrangelo for either Eberle or Yakupov…

29. Racki says:

Vaclav:
    Racki,

I’m certainly not advocating trading Eberle.Far from it.If there’s a way to keep him and Yakupov and still be able to upgrade the areas of need then I’d rather Eberle remain an Oiler.

I get you. And you probably picked the perfect name to use in your example… I have had a Pierre McGuire sized man crush on Alex Pietrangelo since his junior days and would move Jordan Eberle for him. And I will say that I don’t consider Yakupov the better player YET over Eberle, but my spider senses tell me that he will be, in the long run.. so yah, I’d trade Eberle before Yak.. I get where you are coming from.

Veering slightly off topic… Pietrangelo. Humoring a possible trade… I wonder if Petry would be expendable if we traded for Pietrangelo. We’d have 3 RHD (Petry, J. Schultz, Pietrangelo) and none are really 3rd pairing guys. They each need minutes. Petry is a 2nd pairing at worst. So maybe we could get Pietrangelo for Petry and more, without giving up Eberle or Yak. Or, if that doesn’t do it, we could at least move Petry in another deal that involves a big center or something. I might overvalue Petry’s value on the market though due to my Oilers bias.

30. jonrmcleod says:

Hall Awaits,

Was that an intentional or unintentional slam? Astronomy, not astrology.

Edit: Ah, I see Regwald beat me to it.

31. Vaclav says:

Racki,

If contract talks stalled with Pietrangelo and St. Louis felt no choice but to move him I could see a situation where Petry, #7 and a prospect could initiate some discussions.

32. OilTastic says:

if they’re perhaps going to dump Nail, then also consider Eberle instead as well as Hopkins. if the Oilers truly want to get bigger up front, then for me Ebs and RNH are the two candidates to be traded….ungodly gifted players but too small, and i would expect that both would get a great mix of valuable roster players and prospects or picks. could Ebs or RNH get us not just established roster players, but Nichuskin or Barkov or even MacKinnon? i would consider a trade like that.

33. Bruce McCurdy says:

Hall Awaits:
    Bruce McCurdy,

Hahaha not you bud. I enjoy your hockey and astrology talk:-)

Astrology aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh…..

34. OilTastic says:

justDOit,

i know, i know, i’m just saying it *could* happen, not *would*. we’ll see if MacT has the stones to do something really outragous or not like he bragged about. :)

35. jonrmcleod says:

Bruce McCurdy,

I see a new approach in your future. Determine the NHL success of prospects based on their astrological signs.

36. fuzzy muppet says:

These are the kinds of articles that come out at this time of year. Most writers are already over saturated with draft talk and who goes where.

With only one game a day, They are tired of single game recaps so they have to stir up interest somehow.

So you get stuff based on pure speculation in order to get more readers. I’d put the chances of them trading Yakupov at about .05%. There’s a decent chance he ends up better than Taylor Hall and Taylor’s been pretty good by my eye :)

Non-story

37. Hall Awaits says:

regwald,

ASTRONOMY. Jesus… Where’s my coffee..

38. justDOit says:

Hall Awaits,

You will have to expect the day to be somewhat frustrating, Capricorn, so make sure to avoid any rigorous mental activities before your morning coffee. Your friends may insist that you be more cooperative and less individualistic. They could resent your refusal to be part of the team. In fact, your rebelliousness may be earning you quite a reputation! How you deal with these clashes will set the stage for your future. Think carefully before taking action.

39. wheatnoil says:

justDOit:
    Hall Awaits,

…. in bed.

40. regwald says:

wheatnoil: …. in bed.

Moving from horoscopes to fortune cookies.

41. VOR says:

I have always wondered how different Oilers hockey, and the fans collective unconscious, would be if one little thing had been different? If that long ago day when the unimaginable happened and the greatest player ever was traded away one more player had been added into the return? What if that had been Jimmy Carson and the players taken by LA in the first and fourth round in 1988? That is Carson, Gelinas, and Rob Blake. Would we now go make a trade, make a trade? Would our position be that we don’t care who you move as long as you win the trade?

My position is that Fuzzy Muppet is right, Yakupov most likely isn’t going anywhere. However, the question should always be is it a good trade? I can’t help thinking all of the current assumptions about how the Oilers are and always will be shit stem from that one moment in time when the greatest player of all time was stolen from us. Even those who weren’t born yet have been touched by that trade, soured by it. It is the day we went from being the City of Champions to being the City of Chumps. Could one fourth round draft choice have changed it all?

The additional problem is we don’t have a big enough sample of Yakupov’s NHL work to know what fair value would be coming back. It is possible that Pietrangelo isn’t anywhere near enough return. Maybe what we saw at the end of the year is the player Yakupov will be.

I’d guess even MacT doesn’t have the cojones to take the risk of trading away a player with that sort of upside when he can’t get back that kind of value. He is the GM of the Edmonton Oilers after all. He can’t be unaware of the collective unconscious of his fan base. Can he?

42. speeds says:

dawgtoy:

At a certain point the team might need to fill needs, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that point is now. Any deal involving 64 would have to involve winning the trade, not necessarily any specific positional return. That isn’t to say that certain packages would be more acceptable than others if they addressed certain needs, but it depends on the value.

Most would agree that EDM needs help on D, but say they could trade Petry for the 2nd OV pick, Schultz for the 3rd OV pick, and Smid for the 4th OV pick. Should they really not make those deals? Yes, that would leave them with a very weak D, yes that might hurt the team in the short term, but you still have to make all those deals IMO.

43. Lois Lowe says:

Bold moves is THUNDEROUS BODYCHECKS v2.0.

44. VOR says:

Speeds,

So we’d be picking 2,3,4, and & OV this year and have Nick Schultz and Potter as our #1 pairing on D?

Well that would be bold!

I can just see it. N.Schultz, Potter, Klefblom, Marincin, Fistric, Belov, and Nurse on D. Hall, RNH, Eberle and Paajarvi, Gagner, Yakupov and Barkov, Mackinnon, Drouin and Smyth, Horcoff, Jones up front.

Clearly the plan would be to score the most goals in the league to compensate for giving up the most goals in the league.

I guess starting with 7 OV and for the rest of the draft you take D.

45. speeds says:

VOR,

Ha, I don’t think they could make any of those 3 trades, or that they wouldn’t make other trades afterwards, or that they wouldn’t sign a couple UFA’s/RFA’s if they were able to convince the other GM’s to make those moves. I was just giving a hyperbolic example to talk about value.

46. russ99 says:

Considering Yak is the second most untouchable player we have, who would you see as a good return for him if he is moved? Not that I think he’s going anywhere…

IMO, Suter wouldn’t be enough of a return. I’m thinking Malkin or maybe a package deal with another Oiler forward for Marleau and Boyle.

47. misfit says:

VOR,

Ignoring the many reasons something like that would never come close to happening, you’d have something close to a $45M group of forwards if you bought out Hemsky and Smyth. If you could manage to get a group of vetran D from the free agent market like Lydman, Leopold, and Zidlicky to all sign for around $2.5M a piece, you’d have a serviceable D to go along with an obscenely skilled forward group.

Hall – Nugent-Hopkins – Eberle
    Drouin – MacKinnon – Yakupov
    Nichushkin – Barkov – Gagner
    Paajarvi – Horcoff – Jones

Leopold – Lydman
    Schultz – Zidlicky
    Klefbom – Potter
    Fistric

Dubnyk
    Theodore

48. Jordan says:

I’m interested in Shea Theodore (Seattle Thunderbirds, WHL).

Button seems to drop him a fair ways compared to Central (11th NA Skater), but ISS doesn’t list him in their top 30. He was on a dog of a team, but generated a lot from the back end. CUrious to see where he slots in on MacKenzie’s survey.

Found this profile, which is interesting… http://www.inlouwetrust.com/2013/5/24/4360830/shea-theodore-2013-nhl-draft-prospect-profile

Looks like a good bet on the back end – If the Oilers are looking for good bets instead of orgainzational needs, I hope he gets consideration with one of the Oil’s 2nds this year.

What other good bets do people see in the 2nd and 3rd rounds this year?

49. justDOit says:

MacT’s last words before they wired his jaw shut, “Hallsy – I traded Ebs today…”

50. Rocknrolla says:

misfit:
    Well, you’d have something close to a $45M group of forwards if you bought out Hemsky and Smyth.If you could manage to get a group of vetran D from the free agent market like Lydman, Leopold, and Zidlicky to all sign for around $2.5M a piece, you’d have a serviceable D to go along with an obscenely skilled forward group.

Hall – Nugent-Hopkins – Eberle
    Drouin – MacKinnon – Yakupov
    Nichushkin – Barkov – Gagner
    Paajarvi – Horcoff – Jones

Leopold – Lydman
    Schultz – Zidlicky
    Klefbom – Potter
    Fistric

Dubnyk
    Theodore

Wow…didn’t even make it down to the D after drooling over that top 9…..

51. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

I can’t see the Oilers getting rid of there leading goal scorer and one of the players that could contribute 5×5.

Yakupov in year three is going to be scary, when he wasnt playing hockey he was working out, when he wasnt working out he was practicing, when he wasnt doing those things he was spending time with family.

Show me that kind of dedication in the Center and top pairing defensmen that Mac-T would demand and he still shouldnt make that trade.

52. VOR says:

speeds,

I did get the hyperbole. Like you I get that if you can improve your team you have to consider every trade option. I also don’t think the other team makes any of those trades.

I was just pointing out that there are reasons good teams don’t trade established players for draft picks. Not the least of which is that you end up in a cascade of trades. You put a Band-Aid on the old cut but open new wounds. Then you have to trade some of your excess talent for another Band-Aid and so on.

Also, this is a terrible time of year to be trading for draft choices because GMs and their fans currently overvalue their draft picks the closer you get to the draft. So while you can’t say no to any deal without considering the risks and rewards anything involving players for draft picks should be considered with caution.

53. Truth says:

Yak and 7th OV for 4th OV and Josi? Bold and addresses need. Josi has the makings to be a stud but has been playing with Weber.

Edit: Poile would probably have to be brainwashed from all memories of Radulov.

54. pboy says:

Streit rejected the Isles’ latest offer and is set to become an UFA, as per TSN.

55. RexLibris says:

I classify the talk around the league of “the Oilers have to trade one of their young stars to address immediate need” along the same lines as “the Predators have to trade Weber in order to rebuild the team and save money”.

Sure it looks that way from the outside, but something about having others tell you what you “have” to do because it makes sense to them makes me get my back up a little.

Keep Yakupov. Keep Hall, Nugent-Hopkins and maybe even Eberle. If you have to, trade Gagner, although he might just want to stick around for awhile. Keep Paajarvi while you’re at it. Collect the talent, sell them on a vision of being a collective rather than a collection, and draw others in to the roster with the same mentality. The potential to win has attracted many quality players over the years.

If this team can grow and develop, and the management can add quality depth without subtracting from the tremendous advantage they are currently building, then why listen to the proscriptions of media types who almost always craft narratives to rationalize the current model?

Garrioch argues that the Oilers want to add important pieces, and that they want to bring in some immediate help. Be it either due to tunnel-vision or lack of insight, he therefore assumes that it must be done by subtracting the stars from the roster. That may be where the trade talk begins with other GMs, but I strongly doubt that is where it stops.

Sorry for the rant, I just get tired of hearing people suggest trades as though the Oilers have too much talent as though it isn’t fair to the rest of the league.

56. dawgtoy says:

speeds,

This team desperately needs to compete and good lord willing make the playoffs. Therefore I’d say now is exactly when the holes in the lineup need to be plugged. Seeing that seems to be the overall goal for next season, MacT will try and make this team competitive ASAP. An extremely good draft may help fill holes, but as you say will not necessarily fill the short term need the team requires now, unless the picks are at the top of the batting order.
    Of course you make the trades you speak of. If I can rob a GM blind by making a one sided trade, for a potential game changer, do it! Those trades will never happen. It’ll take 64 or 14 to get the conversation started and you’d need to kick in something extra. If the point is to compete for a playoff spot, not sure a trade of that ilk can occur…IMO.
    The good news is June 30 is fast approaching. It should start a very entertaining few days.

57. Bag of Pucks says:

VOR:

Can’t get behind this sentiment given the team won their 5th Cup after that trade, a Cup that was for me, their most unexpected, enjoyable and memorable as a result.

And I think can speak for those who were born then with an emphatic no. Getting Rob Blake doesn’t make losing Gretzky palatable.

We got to watch the best player who ever lived play for our team on a nightly basis. If you’re a hockey fan, you can’t really quantify the true value of that experience. It’s a lottery win, your fantasy threesome and top down on the autobahn all rolled into one. As good as this team may get and I think they’ll ‘get’ very good, nothing will top that heights of that high or the lows of that low.

And please, stop calling it a trade. The only reason Slats got anything back is optics. True Oiler fans know that was a sale, not a trade.

58. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

Talk is TB likes Nichushkin, CAR likes a D. If MacKinnon is on the board at 3 (real chance as FLA top 3 prospects are all C), then I like the following.

Oil trade Gagner + 7OV
    TB trades 3OV + 2nd round
    CAR trades 5OV

TB slides 2 spots to 5OV, gets their player in VN and Gagner.
    CAR slides 2 spots to 7OV, gets their player plus 2nd round
    Oilers get best player of draft in NM

Steep price for Oil but everyone wins IMO with no risk of losing the player they covet.

59. Gerta Rauss says:

pboy:

That’s just crazy talk as far as I’m concerned. Too rich for my blood.

60. rickithebear says:

Racki: I wonder if Petry would be expendable if we traded for Pietrangelo. We’d have 3 RHD (Petry, J. Schultz, Pietrangelo) and none are really 3rd pairing guys.

Justin schults gave up .09GA/GM worst for D pairs in the league.
    At best give him #RD comp Even Pairing minutes.

Even Assists/ Season
    Takeaways/GM
    Petry .66
    Pietrangelo .55
    Giveaways/GM
    Petry .96
    Pietrangelo .58

Pietrangelo would be a nice addition with no Subtraction!

61. Gerta Rauss says:

As far as trading Yak is concerned, there may come a time when we have to trade one of the wonder kids for help elsewhere, or a re-distribution of salary to another position, but I don’t see this summer as the time for that.

The Oilers need to be in a position to take advantage of other teams cap concerns and/or committed salary, and make moves that address need in that context. There is going to be plenty of willing trade partners wanting to move pieces that will fit our needs-I don’t think we need to move one of the kids to get those pieces.

62. regwald says:

From Friedman’s 30 thoughts:

Last year, the Edmonton Oilers considered Messier, Brent Sutter, Todd Nelson and Ralph Krueger (who got the job) to replace head coach Tom Renney. There may have been more, but that’s who I can pin down. At some point, Messier was offered it. Oilers president Kevin Lowe declined a request to comment, so exact details are sketchy. But Messier considered it, took a little bit of time and said “no” for family reasons.

63. Racki says:

misfit:
    VOR,

Ignoring the many reasons something like that would never come close to happening, you’d have something close to a $45M group of forwards if you bought out Hemsky and Smyth.If you could manage to get a group of vetran D from the free agent market like Lydman, Leopold, and Zidlicky to all sign for around $2.5M a piece, you’d have a serviceable D to go along with an obscenely skilled forward group.

Hall – Nugent-Hopkins – Eberle
    Drouin – MacKinnon – Yakupov
    Nichushkin – Barkov – Gagner
    Paajarvi – Horcoff – Jones

Leopold – Lydman
    Schultz – Zidlicky
    Klefbom – Potter
    Fistric

Dubnyk
    Theodore

This might be the silliest lineup I’ve ever seen. But I’ll say that’s bold! It wouldn’t take long before the top 3 forward lines alone were over $45M. Also, that’s likely a lineup to ensure we get another 1st overall pick the next year, as that would include 5 players that are 1st or 2nd year NHLers playing in pretty big roles, plus an already unproven 4th line make up. Too much inexperience.

Do you think the World Junior Champion team could take on say the Bruins or the Kings or Penguins or even Red Wings? That’s just marginally different than what the above is, as far as forwards.

64. Rondo says:

LT,

I believe Oilers have the #56 pick and not # 52.

65. speeds says:

Racki: I know you were just humoring someone else’s idea, but on paper that looks ridiculous (So my reply is partly directed at the other(s) that suggested the idea). It might sound good because we have a bunch of top picks on it, but I think that’s a recipe for disaster.

Do you think the World Junior Champion team could take on say the Bruins or the Kings or Penguins or even Red Wings? That’sjust marginally different than what the above is, as far as forwards.

That said, you’re acting like, in the infinitesimally small chance those trades occurred, EDM would be stuck with all those young players in perpetuity and couldn’t make other moves. Again, not that it would actually happen, but they wouldn’t have to give raises to a bunch of those players for a number of years, by which time they’d likely move a couple of them to address blueline needs

Would that team win the Cup next year? Probably not, but the Oilers arent likely to win the Cup next year anyways – this rebuild is supposed to be about building a long term, competitive franchise, not just making the playoffs next year.

66. Racki says:

speeds: It mentioned that the theorized trades were hyperbole used to demonstrate value, not that I actually thought the other GM’s would make those moves.

Would that team win the Cup next year?Probably not, but the Oilers arent likely to win the Cup next year anyways – this rebuild is supposed to be about building a long term, competitive franchise, not just making the playoffs next year.

I actually wasn’t so much alluding to a cup win, but given the teams I listed, I can easily see how it was taken that way (I probably should have listed more conference teams). I just meant that I can’t see how that team makes it to the playoffs this year. We wouldn’t be able to shelter all those guys from tough minutes, so I think they would be getting killed defensively. I also think after the ELCs are done (3 years) the top 3 would already be very expensive, but yes, they could trade some of them away.

Anyways, the gist of my reply was I don’t think a team of such inexperience forwards could do much more than struggle horribly. That’s my thoughts on the subject anyways. I think it would be as painful to watch as it would be fun to watch that group. Lots of highs and lows.

And I do get that you this wasn’t a realistic trade, but a hyperbole one. But I think it still seemed like people (yourself included) think this would fly at the NHL level, whereas I don’t think so at all… not until those players become experienced enough to earn the big bucks, anyway.

67. VOR says:

Speeds,

The thing is that the fan base has reached a point where it is make the playoffs next year or burn, and I don’t mean in effigy.

Yet many of us have begun to see the seeds of greatness in this group and thus don’t want to give up on the idea of the long term, competitive franchise.

The question is, how do the Oilers do both?

I liked the thought experiment quality of your original idea (and in full recognition that we both know the other sides of those trades would never agree). All I was trying to point out was you had better have a busy, clever, and cheap summer after you make those trades or minimally there is tar and feathers in your future.

68. VOR says:

Racki,

I should apparently have used a bookie mark when I first responded to speeds.

I perceive MacT is facing a tough task in balancing the current team. The last thing he would want to do is create even more imbalance and replace veterans with rookies or mid-career veterans with old men.

I’d say no to Mark Streit at $3,000,000 per for 2 years. $6,000,000 with term is preposterous.

69. Wolfpack says:

The last thing I want to see the Oilers do at the draft is trade down. However, if it is part of a package that moves out a contract or two for immediate help, I am fine with it.

I don’t really see the sense in trading up either, since the Oilers need help right now. By that measure I don’t see the sense in trading Yak in as part of a move up in the draft. You are just setting the re-build back one year as far as I am concerned.

If the Oilers make a big move this summer it will involve a top-pairing d-man. Last time this team had a true #1, MacT coached them to G7 of the SCF. I think he covets a stud d-man. The defences of the teams still going in the playoffs right now are so much better than the Oilers it is laughable. And arguably only PITT lacks a true stud #1.

70. asiaoil says:

71. Ca$h-Money! says:

Wolfpack,

I’m pretty sure Letang counts as a stud #1 dman. In fact I would say that of the 4 #1 dmen, Keith is the bottom of the pack. This is compensated for by the fact that Seabrook is the best #2 dman of the remaining teams.

72. speeds says:

VOR,

Yup, I get all that, except that I don’t agree that it’s playoffs or bust in this market – it really depends how things go. If they kept the same roster and missed, MAYBE some fans would drop their season’s tickets, maybe not, who knows? If they make some changes and miss on the last day of the season, I don’t think it would be treated the same as if they bring back Belanger, Petrell, Eager, Whitney, Peckham and finish 26th.

73. spoiler says:

asiaoil: Only guy worth trading up for is McKinnon – he would be a clear upgrade on Gagner in a year or two – so you trade Gags and #7 to FLA/TBL if that deal is possible in any way shape or form. I’d also consider using Eberle as the bait in this trade – but we would have to take a contract back – probably a dman. Helps a bit next year on defense and then compliance buyout if necessary next summer. Obviously use Gagner as bait if you can – but I’d use Eberle if necessary as long as a dman came back with the pick.But McKinnon is the only guy that I trade up for – no other prospect is worth it or would compliment RNH better. A steep price to pay but wow what a lineup – speed would be incredible. If McKinnon is not possible then just sit tight at #7 and take BPA or trade it to Philly straight up for Couturier.

Why in Gord’s name would Philly trade Couturier for the 7th? There has to be quite a few names on the Flyer trade/buyout block before Couturier’s name comes up. Philly isn’t known for the patience and this trade requires they be so and take the risk that the player they’re getting won’t be as good as the one they have. I would love for this trade to happen, but it’s fantasy not reality, IMHO.

74. Bag of Pucks says:

Spit-balling, I believe MacT’s 2 primary objectives are

1) 1 Top 4 D
    2) 2 C
    3) Depth everywhere (F, D, G)

Free agency offers little to address #1 and #2 without a likely significant overpay, but can likely address #3 quite effectively.

In a draft heavy with C prospects, #2 can be solved by simply making your pick without giving up anything.

Step 1, MacT drafts Monahan or Lindholm

With Gagner and Hemsky as his preferred trading chips, he then goes Top 4 D hunting. Preferably with teams hard up against the Cap.

Having lit them up for 8 points one night, CHI likes Gagner and with numerous pending RFAs & UFAs is looking to shed some salary.

Thus Gagner & Petry to CHI for Leddy, Stalberg and Emery (with the latter two conditional on a sign and trade).

Trade gives CHI great C option enabling them to leave Kane on the wing and D on a value contract with upside comparable to Leddy. Trade gives EDM Top 4 D, size on the wing and goaltending depth with potential 1G upside.

Additions of Leddy, Belov and possibly Klefbom significantly remakes Oil D. Trade also helps to facilitate ‘winning’ culture change in EDM.

75. Ca$h-Money! says:

Bag of Pucks,

How much better is Leddy than Petry? I’m just confused because you are basically saying we fix our D by subtracting Petry and adding Leddy. I’m not a Leddy expert but I’m not sure he’s even better than Petry, either now or in the long term… if he is it can’t be by much. Feel free to prove me wrong on that though.

Otherwise you are basically saying trade Gagner for Stalberg and Emery. I don’t get this. Gagner has to have more value than a bottom roster player who is a frequent healthy scratch and a UFA backup goalie.

76. speeds says:

Canes GM Rutherford was just talking about the draft on Spector’s show, and I’d need to listen again to confirm the exact phrasing, but he suggested the draft has a top 5 or 6 players, and then listed MacKinnon, Jones, Drouin, Nichushkin, Monahan, and Lindholm, presumably as those 6 players.

77. DBO says:

Anyone is trade-able. Even Hall. If someone offered us the moon, you have to take it. They won’t, but you never know.

I think character may be the most important factor for MacT. The leave it all on the ice, passion filled player who’s “try” level is huge. He has to have enough skill to play “Oiler hockey” (which in the past 6 years has been – be shitty). Fast paced, move the puck, keep possession, hate to lose and don’t ever lose a battle if it can be won (Eberle you will not get the puck off of Chara, but you better damn well try). That is why he likes Gagner. He fights hard, has skill, has effort and is apparently a good guy in the room from a leadership standpoint. If they are serious about moving Hemsky and possibly Horcoff, they need mid 20′s players who fit the above ideals. I wonder if MacT believes addition by subtraction in the forward corps will mean as much as any piece they add.

Hall-Nuge-Eberle
    ??-Gagner-Yak
    Paajarvi-???-???
    Smyth-????-Brown
    Lander-Hartikainen

4 spots up front to be filled. Lander and Harti hopefully as fillers and possibly pushing their way into the lineup.

???-Shultz
    Smid-Petry
    Shultz-Potter
    Belov

1 spot left on back end. And the obvious need for a solid backup goalie. That is 7 new regulars (inluding Belov). That is a lot of turnover. And Shultz the Elder may not be long for the road as a chip for something else.

78. VOR says:

speeds,

I agree with you that a GM could avoid pillorying if they got to the final game still in the hunt. Or if they got rid of the deadwood. But only if they are practising incremental improvement and the optics that go with it. Add valuable pieces, get rid of the guys the math hates, and the big salaries that would be hard for anyone to justify. In other words start pulling barbs out of the fans rather than sticking new ones in.

That was the approach I expected MacT to take and to some extent he has. Signing Belov fits the pattern as does MacT’s classy goodbye to Whitney. I think we also see that approach in his efforts to work with Horcoff and Hemsky rather than negotiating in the media. To that we could add his apparent attempts to sign Fistric to a reasonable value contract and his making Gagner’s new contract priority one. Not to mention his clear attempts at greater transparency.

The problem is that MacT made it clear he wants to win now and that he plans bold action to accomplish that. In other words he raised the bar. A series of massive bold moves like your proposed trades are simply calculated to inflame the fans to a level of passion never seen before. Miss the playoffs, miss bad, and make sure you have a residence in another country.

Pick at the edges, get rid of the below replacement level players, reduce the payroll, add value free agents, continue allowing good young kids to develop at an appropriate level and regardless of this coming year’s outcome you are safe. Go big and there is a real chance you go home.

79. Bruce McCurdy says:

spoiler: Philly isn’t known for the patience and this trade requires they be so and take the risk that the player they’re getting won’t be as good as the one they have.

Philly isn’t known for standing pat. This is the org that traded 2003 draft wins Jeff Carter and Mike Richards at age 26 for Simmonds, B. Schenn, Voracek, and of course the pick that became Couturier. Philly got younger, and ultimately (after another trade, with CBJ) the Kings won six playoff series and possibly counting, so tell me who won those trades? (Then tell me again, five years from now.)

80. speeds says:

Sorry, I typed that last post incorrectly, it should have included Barkov and not Monahan. Here’s the correction:

Canes GM Rutherford was just talking about the draft on Spector’s show, and I’d need to listen again to confirm the exact phrasing, but he suggested the draft has a top 5 or 6 players, and then listed MacKinnon, Jones, Drouin, Nichushkin, Barkov, and Lindholm, presumably as those 6 players.

81. dawgtoy says:

Jim Rutherford stated on the Spec show that he’d trade down provided he received a top four defenseman in compensation, and he didn’t move too far down. At least I’m pretty sure, because some jack wagon cut me off. I was attempting to communicate my displeasure with his inability to drive, and listen at the same time. If I did misunderstand, please forgive me.

82. Marc says:

Belov clearly did his research before signing with the Oilers:

“I have set a goal for myself this summer: I need to get more physical. Strengthen shoulders first of all”

83. fifthcartel says:

dawgtoy:
    Jim Rutherford stated on the Spec show that he’d trade down provided he received a top four defenseman in compensation, and he didn’t move too far down. At least I’m pretty sure, because some jack wagon cut me off.I was attempting to communicate my displeasure with his inability to drive, and listen at the same time. If I did misunderstand, please forgive me.

This seems like it could be great for Edmonton, but not sure what they would add. Maybe they part with Nick Schultz?

84. Kris11 says:

speeds,

Barkov?

85. markasread1199 says:

From NHLonTSN twitter – Newsday reporting Mark Streit will not be back with the Islanders next season.

86. Bag of Pucks says:

Ca$h-Money!:
    Bag of Pucks,

How much better is Leddy than Petry?I’m just confused because you are basically saying we fix our D by subtracting Petry and adding Leddy.I’m not a Leddy expert but I’m not sure he’s even better than Petry, either now or in the long term…if he is it can’t be by much.Feel free to prove me wrong on that though.

Otherwise you are basically saying trade Gagner for Stalberg and Emery.I don’t get this.Gagner has to have more value than a bottom roster player who is a frequent healthy scratch and a UFA backup goalie.

Deal would be contingent on signing all players involved so the FA status is only germane from the pov that cutting the deal puts you at the front of the line for Stalberg and Emery as opposed to trying to outbid 29 others teams for them in free agency. Deal gives the Oil 3 roster players from a possible Stanley Cup winner all of whom should be entering the prime of their careers with Emery having the ability to push Dubnyk for the 1G position.

It’s quite possible that I am underselling Gagner here. If that’s true, do you do this deal if it’s Seabrook or Hjalmarsson? Gagner’s ex London teammate could be of help in lobbying for this trade as well.

For me Gagner is far too weak defensively and on the dot to be a 2C on a Cup Winner. MacT has to sell high on him now. Believe keeping Gags would be a huge mistake and a clear indicator that MacT doesn’t get it. Like Petry when he’s in the mood to play a more physical game but he’s very inconsistent in this regard. Watch Leddy in the playoffs. Extremely mobile and effective puck carrier just coming into his own now. CHI’s D depth is huge. A great position of strength for them to deal from.

Another possibility is trade Gagner & Hemsky to WPG for Byfuglien and 13th overall. Draft Monahan @ 7 and Max Domi @ 13.

Big Buff could be on the block and the two Oil Fs while flawed give them a much needed O injection. Could see the argument for WPG to possibly sweeten with a 2nd round pick.

87. OilClog says:

Not a chance Yak gets traded, he could be the very best of them all.. Hall is going to be hard to pass, but Yak just has this Aura to him. He brings pride back to the Oiler jersey, and gives goose bumps when you watch him play. From most of the comments MacT has made so far, it’s clear he knows how valuable the high end skill, which is nearly impossible to acquire is.. I just don’t see anyone satisfying MacT’s hunger in a trade for one of the Fab5.

Trade Value highest to lowest.. Hall, Yak, Nuge, Schultz, Ebs. For anyone to even get their hands on Eberle, you would have to believe it’s a #1 or 2 defenceman coming back plus some. MacT is in a position of power when talking about those 5 players, I don’t see any way they’re moved.

When we have 5 superstars in the making, MacT will only add to that, not subtract.

It’s going to be a Gagner, Gernat, #7 going somewhere for something. Either a #1C that drops Nuge down #2, or that top prized Defenceman. If we can land Kulikov and that #2.. Wow.

I really believe MPS will be the 2nd line left winger of the future and not the 3rd line. His speed is undeniable, when he’s not buried with the Belangers and Landers on the team, he produces. He’s going to be on a value contract for his next signing, he’ll only fill out that big frame more. And if MacT can somehow find that missing power forward out there, that can teach MPS how to use that big body.. look out.

88. OilClog says:

Would Gagner, Hemsky, Klefbom or Hart +7 and next years first.. put us in discussions for Malkin?

Hall, Malkin, Yak
    MPS, Nuge, Ebs

It’s a large price, but.. That top line would be a nitemare, leaving Nuge and company to completely eat alive the 2nd tiers.

89. speeds says:

Kris11:
    speeds,

Barkov?

I posted a second time, I missed correcting it before my window to edit closed, but the 6 players Rutherford listed were:

Drouin, Jones, MacKinnon, Barkov, Lindholm, Nichushkin

I suppose he could be swerving, but given those comments along with those I’ve seen attributed to him in the past I would be surprised if CAR drafts a D at 5.

90. striatic says:

Gerta Rauss: Above is Art Staple’s piece this morning re: Mark Streit. Apparently he turned down 3 x $4.75M and may be looking north of $5M. He also mentions a possible 4 year deal and $6M per.
    That’s just crazy talk as far as I’m concerned. Too rich for my blood.

1 year at 6m would be a workable deal for the Oilers.

91. Marc says:

speeds:

I think the people that think that Carolina will go D are the same people that thought Edmonton would go D last year, notwtihstanding the fact that the consensus top pick was a forward.

It’s easy for media types to look at a team, pick out current strengths/weaknesses and then suggest that will draft to shore up a weakness instead of adding to an already strong part of their roster.

Teams tend to go BPA though, so I fully expect Carolina to take one of the top forwards listed by Rutherford.

92. Gerta Rauss says:

striatic,

Streit may be in for a surprise if he wants term and dollars-in a traditional UFA year with a thin crop of D he may get bidders at that price.With the cap going down and players getting bought out or traded for 50 cents on the dollar, I can’t see teams lining up to give a 35 year old 4 years at north of $5M. And if he does get that, I sure hope it isn’t the Oilers.

93. Ribs says:

Gun to my head – Okay! Okay! Hedman and 3rd overall for Yakupov and 7th overall! I give!

94. striatic says:

Gerta Rauss: I’d rather shop in the Jordan Leopold aisle or someone from that same player type(puck mover first and foremost)

Streit or Leopold, either for 1 year at a hefty sum will work.

the key is the 1 year term. the guys you want longer term are still a year away from UFA.

so a one year heavy overpay for an older elite Dman is a wise move i think.

95. Marc says:

striatic: Oilers need to be shopping in all the aisles. not everyone is going to want to sign in Edmonton.

Streit or Leopold, either for 1 year at a hefty sum will work.

so a one year heavy overpay for an older elite Dman is a wise move i think.

Why would Streit do that though?

For 35+ players it’s all about term because if they’re on a one year deal and get hurt or have a bad season then they may not get back in to the league the next season. Streit reportedly turned down a guaranteed three years of employment at $14.25M. He only did that so he could get more on the open market, not so he could get less than half of that and take all the risk of not getting another contract.

96. Gerta Rauss says:

striatic,

I believe that’s wishful thinking however.

97. asiaoil says:

spoiler,

If Nichushkin falls to #7 then I think a deal is there to be made for Couturier since he’s voiced his desire to play in Philly.

98. speeds says:

Woodlief’s top 10 forwards:

He says the top 5 forwards would have been in the race for #1 overall last season.

Here’s his description of Lindholm (who he has 6th):

“The third forward tier begins with Swedish center Elias Lindholm. He’s a passionate, determined force who makes everyone around him better. He can beat you with a big hit, a creative set-up, a clutch goal, or even a shot block on the penalty kill. He just loves the game and has a great will to compete. He’s also freakishly strong for his size and wins corner battles against much larger defensemen through sheer strength of will.”

Maybe it’s just me, but that doesn’t really sound like someone that wouldn’t interest MacT.

99. striatic says:

Marc: Why would Streit do that though?

6 million dollars and the fact that if the Oilers don’t make the playoffs the single year nature of the deal means he will almost surely be traded to a playoff bound team at the deadline.

100. striatic says:

Gerta Rauss: Given the evidence we have, the hurdle with the Islanders was term. If Ralphie can convince Streit to sign for 1 year, sure, I’m in.

given enough money, the older player should still take the shorter term.

Gonchar at 5 to 6 million might be the better target, but you can’t rely on getting him specifically.

i’m in favour of using the team’s cap space window to target these older, high level puck movers and try to lure them to the Oilers for a year for a big payday and an understanding they will be sent to a contender at the deadline if the Oilers aren’t close.

101. gcw_rocks says:

102. striatic says:

gcw_rocks: I would take #2 and Kulikov for Yak if MacKinnon is the number 2. Wouldn’t even need to think twice. If its Jones, I would be less sure.

why would the Panthers make that trade?

103. Bag of Pucks says:

Philly is in a pickle. They want to dump Bryzgalov (without a buyout if possible), acquire affordable Top 4 D AND get under the Cap without shedding all of their Top 9 depth.

I think the Oil are a poor trade partner because we lack exactly what they’re looking for (affordable Top 4 D) without gutting our own corp.

That said, EDM could possibly pry away Couturier if they were willing to take on either the Briere or Bryzgalov contracts.

So…

Gagner & N Schultz for Briere & Couturier

OR

Dubnyk & Horcoff for Bryzgalov & Couturier

Does Snider hate the Bryz contract enough to do the 2nd deal? If he does, why not consider it? Get rid of a C with negative value for a blue chip C while exchanging two Gs currently trending as 1B options.

Bryz contract bad but you’ve just moved out a bad contract with Horc with the Hemsky overpay soon to follow. If Bryz rebounds in new market as elite starter, you look like a genius. High risk. High reward.

104. Rondo says:

Marc,

This is what MacT had to say

“Our wish list in the draft would be to draft a centerman and/or a defenseman with that pick in that area. The higher end centermen, not to divulge too much about where we’re ranking players, but if you look at the public rankings like Red Line or Central Scouting, there are really three very high end centermen available in this draft. Nathan MacKinnon from Halifax, Monahan from Ottawa and also Barkov, who played in the Finnish men’s league. I think that those three centermen, relative to some of the public rankings, we would finish just out of the realm of getting one of those three centermen if we didn’t move up.

It’s going to be a very strategic draft in that regard. There are teams ahead of us that are more inclined to draft a defenseman and there may be more of those that you’d be very happy with on the 7th, 8th or 9th pick, so there might be a fit there. Those are definitely discussions that we’re having that we’re looking to improve our team by.”

105. DBO says:

speeds:
    Woodlief’s top 10 forwards:

Here’s his description of Lindholm (who he has 6th):

106. Gerta Rauss says:

DBO: re: Lindholm-MAybe MacT and the org do love this guy because yes that sounds exactly like everything he said he wants form players on his team.

I got the same feeling listening to Stu last night on Stauffer’s show.

Curious.

edit-and to add to that, Stu referred to him as a Center when Bob asked about him.

107. HeyJakel says:

I read this article earlier in the day. Just now went to tsn.ca/nhl where the first thing to load was an image of Yakupov. Nearly had a heart attack. (The associated article is about grandfathering visors. Deep breath.)

108. Rondo says:

For Edmonton to get a decent chance at Monahan , I think Carolina needs to take Nurse, leaving Nichushkin for Calgary they still may pick Monahan.

109. prairieschooner says:

This thread reminds me of Silas in the Da Vinci code

110. speeds says:

Rondo,

I don’t see why CAR would necessarily have to take Nurse for Monahan to be available. If the top 4 go as most are projecting (some order of Barkov, Jones, Drouin, and MacKinnon), CAR could take Nichushkin or Lindholm, CAL could take Lindholm or Nichushkin, leaving Monahan to EDM. Could be that CAL would take Monahan instead of either of those guys, could be that they don’t.

111. Ice Sage says:

prairieschooner: This thread reminds me of Silas in the Da Vinci code

Oiler fans have been self-flagellating about as long as Opus Dei!

Mind you, that Malkin – Yak idea floated above has me thinking sinful thoughts… OUCH

112. Lois Lowe says:

One has to think that Calgary looks long and hard at Nichushkin as a replacement for Iggy on the left side. He has size, scoring touch and is up there for elite level talent. I don’t know that a Monahan or a Lindholm really projects as more than a 2C.

113. Rebilled says:

Curious who you would rather keep since we’re throwing #1′s out there? I really like them both but worry about injuries…

The Nuge

or

The Yak?

LT said ‘Yakupov was not the organizational slam dunk that Hall/Nuge were in their draft seasons.’

Hall GP 65 PTS 42 2011
    Nuge GP 62 PTS 52 2012 GP 40 PTS 24 2013
    Yak GP GP 48 PTS 31 2013

Except that he didn’t get hurt. On this team, that is a slam dunk.

114. DBO says:

Someone on radio today (can’t remember who, maybe Rutherford on Spector?) mentioned that Nichushkin and Lindholm have both been playing against men and are NHL ready as much as the top guys. Maybe this is best case for Oil. see what people are willing to offer to move up for the 7th, but be really happy with whoever is there. Like Lindholm the more we hear about him. Compete level being the most impressive. And versatile, which fits MacT’s wish list.

115. RickDeckard says:

HeyJakel,

I did the exact same thing.

Am I alone in thinking that Calgary could take a defenseman? Feaster and ownership are talking tough but they have to realize they have no hope of making the playoffs next year and will probably be in the old lottery range. I’ll bet they would love to add Sam to go with Max Reinhart.

1, Jones (COL)
    2. MacKinnon (FLA)
    3. Nichushkin (TB)
    4. Drouin (NSH)
    5. Lindholm (CAR)
    6. Nurse (Cal)
    7. Barkov (EDM)

Not impossible.

116. DBO says:

from hockey’s future:

Lindholm is an extremely talented player who is already an important offensive contributor for his top men’s league team. Possesses incredible hands, stickhandling skills and passing capabilities for a player his age. Displays well above-average ability to read and understand the game. Elias is strong at side-stepping checks and interpreting where opponents intend to pass or where they plan on skating, taking advantage of this to often pick off passes or hold up opposing skaters. Makes wonderful use of the ice and is strong in transition.

Sounds like a great player to put with Yakupov. MAybe Paajarvi on LW to round it out and you have two two way players with Yak attack. gagner becomes trade bait for a dman and a better 3rd line centre, or we play him at LW with Gagner and Yak, allowing us to actually have depth on the 3rd line with Paajarvi and hopefully some real NHLers.

117. DBO says:

hate to give anyone from the Flames world credit. but great write up on Lindholm:

118. Gerta Rauss says:

DBO,

He did say at the combine that he has 1 more year on his pro deal and would look at coming to the NHL after he has completed that.

119. Rondo says:

It would be interesting to find the rankings of the players by the Oilers

Monahan
    Lindholm
    Nurse
    Nichushkin

120. striatic says:

Gerta Rauss: Lindholm is my pick-it’s the skating and the “hard on the puck” and “defensive awareness” that is appealing to me.

i know he’s listed as a C, but hasn’t he been playing wing lately?

121. VOR says:

Striatic,

Lindholm plays with his cousin Calle Jarnkrok who is a center. Two centers one line must be a nice problem to have. Up until they were united Lindholm was a center. Peter Forsberg played some wing as well. Didn’t mean he wasn’t a center.

122. gcw_rocks says:

striatic,

I was responding to Lowetide’s comment:

If Tallon is working a trade around Kulikov and the number 2 for Yak, as long as any top up assets does not include another of the wunderkids, I am all over that trade.

Hell, I would do MacKinnon and Kulikov for Yak and Gagner without blinking.

Hall – RNH – Eberle
    MPS – MacKinnon – Free Agent/Hemsky/Trade
    MacArthur – Goc – Stalberg
    Smyth – Gordon – Hartikainen
    Brown

Kulikov – Petry
    Smid – Schultz Jr
    Schultz Sr. – Free agent
    Potter

123. gcw_rocks says:

RickDeckard,

If anyone ahead of the Oilers take a d-man after Jones, I think it will be Carolina.