HARVEST MOON 2013

The Edmonton Oilers went to market with their new GM Craig MacTavish with a new mantra: skill, skill, skill! As a fan, I was hopeful this would mean an end to ‘walkabout’ selections (defined as reach picks in the top 100 overall) and added skill deeper into the draft.

That’s pretty much what happened. The Oilers used their top 10 selection on a two-way defenseman (first time in forever) and then used selections 56, 83, 88 and 94 on skill players that were either taken ‘in the range’ or were ‘value’ selections. The ‘walkabout’ picks began at #96–not exactly #100 but I’ll take it!

THE 2013 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

1. #7 overall D Darnell Nurse (SS Marie, OHL) 68, 12-29-41. NHLE 4-11-15. I had him ranked 2nd among OHL players this season and 9th overall. I count this as a risk averse selection, and McKenzie (#9) and Pronman (#11) agree. I think he’s going to be a good NHL player, making his living with EV and PK minutes. His profile is here and you’ll have to wait until tomorrow to see where I’ve ranked him in the top 20.
  2. #56 overall C Marc Olivier-Roy (Blainville-Boisbriand, QMJHL) 65, 29-38-67. NHLE 10-15-25. Offensive talent, fast skater, creative and an expert passer. Outstanding on the backcheck and has a strong 2-way reputation at this early age. Undersized (6.0, 180) but he’s an attractive center and a quality prospect. Enjoyed a terrific playoff (9, 5-11-16) and was 74, 34-49-83 overall this season. I mentioned him here and McKenzie (#59) plus Pronman (#70) had him in the range.
  3. #83 overall C Bogdan Yakimov (Nizhnekamsk Russian Jr). 11, 6-7-13. Huge C (6.05. 200) described by one scouting service as “a thickly constructed specimen” which immediately makes me think of the Russian tank Andrei Kovalenko. Strong along the wall and effective at puck retrieval. Isn’t a finesse player. Pronman ranks him #73 (again in the range) and Kent Wilson suggests he’s ranked amidst a group of similar “power forward” prospects like John Hayden, Avery Peterson and Nick Moutrey among others. More Wilson: There’s no precise way to calculate NHLE for the MHL or VHL but on the surface, Yakimov’s numbers look pretty good. He split time in VHL with two teams scoring eight goals for 22 points in 37 games following a solid six goals and 13 point performance in 11 MHL games.
  4. #88 overall L Anton Slepyshev (UFA, KHL) 11, 4-2-6. NHLE 18-6-24. The most talented player taken in the draft today by the Oilers, Slepyshev is a brilliant hockey player. Pronman has him #45, meaning he’s an exceptional value selection. Pronman: He is an above-average skater, with agility and free movement, as his shiftiness makes him hard to check. He has a plus shot and he knows it, as his mentality is often shoot-first, even from distance. He can still make plays, and he does not have tunnel vision, but his playmaking skills are not his best element. His physical game has progressed, and he has added strength since last season. He can protect pucks moderately well. He will display physical effort, although it could be better at times. He also needs to work on his defensive game.
  5. #94 overall R Jackson Houck (Vancouver, WHL). 69, 23-34-57. NHLE 8-12-20. Physical winger with good skills, footspeed is going to be his issue and he’s not a big prospect (6.0, 186). His father Paul was drafted by the Oilers in 1981. Houck sounds like a “tweener”, a modern Phil Cornet, but that’s on his draft day and there’s some range of skills here. Pronman has him #91, again in the range.
  6. #96 overall C Kyle Platzer (London, OHL) 65, 5-17-22. NHLE 2-6-8. I had a hard time figuring this player out early on, his numbers are nothing much and he’s no Coke machine. Then I found this from Redline: Skating under the radar because of the embarrassment of riches in the two-time OHL champion London Knights. Although just 5-foot-11 and 185 pounds, Platzer plays with energy and grit, embraces physical contact and doesn’t shy away from the greasy spots in the offensive zone. Platzer lacks elite upside at the NHL level, but is one of those character players who never stops moving his feet and competing. A smart, dedicated player; scouts who watched him a lot appreciate Platzer far more than those unable to get extended viewings, but deserves a draft call at some point. Pronman has him #151, that’s a reach.
  7. #113th overall L Aidan Muir (Victoria Honda Midget) 37, 17-23-40. A project and a reach. Western College Hockey: He’s a decent skater for his size, though there is still some room for improvement. With his frame, there’s also the potential to add a little more strength. His biggest attribute is his grit and toughness in the dirty areas of the ice along the boards and in front of the net, and that he has the hands to make plays in tight spaces. He’s also a very high energy player and a tireless worker.
  8. #128 overall L Evan Campbell (Langley, BCJHL). 51, 20-46-66 NHLE 5-10-15.  20 years old, 6.01, 175 and headed to U. Mass Lowell this fall or next. The NHLE suggests there’s some offense there but then again he was 19 in the BCJHL this season. Definitely a reach pick.
  9. #158 overall D Ben Betker (Everett, WHL). 61, 1-5-6 NHLE 0-2-2. Cody Nickolet says he’s a big, rangy physical defenseman. Needs to work on footspeed. A definite reach selection.
  10. #188 overall C Greg Chase (Calgary, WHL). 69, 17-32-49. NHLE 6-11-17. Outstanding value pick, Pronman has him at #99. Pronman: Scouts praise his offensive mind and vision. He can slow the game down when he has the puck, hit targets through small lanes, and move the puck quickly when need be. He also has good hands, and when he is on, his offensive upside is apparent.

DRAFT BY LEAGUE

1. WHL-3
  2. OHL-2
  3. QMJHL-1
  4. RUS-1
  5. RUS-JR 1
  6. MWEHL-1
  7. BCJHL-1

REACH/VALUE PICKS

• In The Range: Nurse, Roy, Houck
  • Value: Slepyshev, Yakimov, Chase
  • Reach: Platzer, Muir, Campbell, Betker

COMBINE INVITES/MCKENZIE

• Mckenzie: Nurse (9); Roy (59)
  • Pronman: Nurse (11); Slepyshev (45); Roy (70); Yakimov (73); Houck (91); Chase (99)
  • Combine Invites: Nurse, Roy, Houck, Yakimov

The Oilers and Pronman should get together before the draft. The new top 20 (30) tomorrow morning.

46 Responses to "HARVEST MOON 2013"

1. Clarkenstein says:

That moon looks like a big “zero” which pretty much sums up MacT’s day!

2. striatic says:

Broadstreet hockey has some pretty impressive usage stats for Nurse.

also interesting the video interview with MacT where he talks about using a mathematical template to determine the effectiveness of picks at various points in the draft, presumably influencing the decision to trade for more picks.

Striatic: Excellent find! You can kind of see what they did, turning the 2nd round pick into the nice value in the 80s and 90s. And then the last pick chaser.

4. striatic says:

the part about the mathematical template is at 7:40 in the clip.

5. In the Grease says:

LT,

Arriving to the party a little late, so apologies if this question was already asked and answered, but this being a recap post, perhaps you don’t mind a recap of your feelings about this draft, and weekend.

Seems like on the trade front, the overall feeling is one of disappointment…

Do you like this draft for the oil, the 3 for 1′s, and what do you think of MacT’s performance (including the non-trades)?

6. Young Oil says:

Just a few thoughts from watching interviews and highlights of the draft picks:

1. LOVE the Russians. Yakimov looked like a man amongst boys in the Russian Jrs, and knows both Yakupov and Slepyshev. Could help in the process of having both of them come to North America.

2. Slepychev seems to have a lethal one timer, and could do incredibly well if he had a quality guy to set him up, like RNH and/or Eberle.

3. It seems as if Roy could turn into a Burrows/Marchand type player. If so, that could be a huge addition to the 3rd line in a few years.

4. Happy with the Chase selection, especially in the 7th round. Could turn into a 4th line agitator with some offense.

5. When Houck was asked where he sees himself in the future in an interview, his first response was the AHL. Not a great sign there (even if he was just being realistic, he might not be setting his goals high enough).

All in all, I was extremely pleased with MacT today. Didn’t panic and feel forced to make a ‘bold’ move, and made sure he didn’t let the other GM’s take advantage of him. Instead, turned a 37th OV pick, which is far from a lock to be in the NHL (see Moroz, Musil, Hamilton and Pitlick) into 5 more bullets for Stu, making up for Tambellini giving up picks. I think the Russians alone were worth it. Just my opinion.

7. justDOit says:

I like the 5:1 swap in picks, and the bets on talent. Slepyshev is a name I remember well from last WJ’s and SS (super series – sounds more foreboding as an initialism). And Bogdan seems to be a perfect hockey name – hope he gets a shot.

As for the lack of trades, just give it some time – we still have a few days before the season starts. With the amnesty all-stars and UFA period yet to come, there’s a lot of time until we have to worry about RNH, Gagner and Horcs as top 3 down the middle.

8. bookje says:

striatic:
    the part about the mathematical template is at 7:40 in the clip.

I didn’t watch it, but after initially being critical of the pick, I started to break apart some of the reddily available numbers and it’s clear that trade that saw the 57 go out was a huge win, the other is less clear to me with limited data, but given that MacT indicated that they had a template, then I give him props for thinking that way and recognizing that later picks are almost as likely to be winners as earlier ones past a certain point. Accepting this is the ultimate acceptance that you are ‘NOT the smartest man in the room who can pick better than everyone else’.

In the grease: I wondered what the hell they were doing trading down, but was pleased with Roy. Then they took Slepyshev and I was very pleased–he’s a really good player. I then traced back to the other Russian and was pleased to see he was a pretty interesting pick too. Houck I knew about so liked that pick and they made it through the top 100 without (imo) a Troy Hesketh pick.

After that they went crazy and honestly I have no idea about one from the other—save for Chase. Right at the end there they grabbed a really nice prospect.

As for trades, I have no doubt they tried and suspect the club will revisit some of those talks (Coburn, goalies, etc). I began the day scared to death MacT was going to do something stupid, and I think he had a fine day in the prospect department.

If we go through July with no movement, then I’ll bitch and moan. There’s time.

10. striatic says:

the Slepyshev and Yakimov picks basically saved the draft for me. great picks both, and value picks as LT suggests.

it seems like both have connections to Yakupov [and Zharkov, according to Zharkov's twitter], which might make then more eager to fight to play in Edmonton rather than follow KHL career tracks.

i’m a little higher on Slepyshev than on Yakimov but without any good reason. Bogdan is HUGE and has something of a scoring touch.

hopefully coppernblue does comparable posts for both : ]

11. Nicholas says:

Mentioned this in an earlier thread – without Monahan as a possibility as a C next year, does this make signing Gagner to play 2C more critical, even with his deficiencies?

If you do sign him, do you slightly overpay to avoid a NTC? If so, could you front load the deal, such that if a better option presents itself next year or the year after he is easier to move?

If you do an AAV of 4x$4.8m, and go 6, 4.8, 4.8, 3.6 does that make it a more tradeable contract?

12. striatic says:

Lowetide: If we go through July with no movement, then I’ll bitch and moan. There’s time.

which UFA goalies do you think they should target?

right now other than signing Gagner and somehow somewhere getting a top 4 LW and shoring up the D short term until the cavalry arrives, i think that’s the most important decision the Oilers have to mak

13. Gret99zky says:

Just a thought:

Perhaps MacT should pull back on the promises of boldness and 8-9 roster turnover pre-draft and pre-free agent frenzy.

Maybe makes some moves and then tell us all about them.

He made himself look like less of a super-MBA-brainiac.

I don’t mind what he did today I just wish he hadn’t talk the big game before hand.

Take a page from Lou L’s book. Let the deals do the talking.

14. fuzzy muppet says:

Can’t say I’m a huge fan of today.

These picks MIGHT be something someday but this team is bad NOW and have been for a long fucking time.

How much patience am I supposed to have? Apparently its an infinite amount.

I’d have rather they moved the picks for players. Hell They could have gotten Sekaras, Bolland and Frolik for this. Instead they get a bunch of “maybe one days”.

Teams that are Good can make moves like trading down. THis team needs help NOW. Now all the picks you could have used as assets to acquire players are no longer in play.

I don’t like it one bit.

I’ll give MacT more time but so far is more Tambo 2.0 than bold…

15. OilLeak says:

striatic:

Broadstreet hockey has some pretty impressive usage stats for Nurse.

I read Eric’s article early this morning and it changed my view on Nurse, those TOI numbers are massive and compare very favorably to Seth Jones(who got more pp time). I think the forwards taken before Nurse are still better prospects, but I no longer have the same reservations regarding Nurse that I had a week ago.

I don’t think Marc Olivier-Roy is 180lbs either. He weighed in at about 168.5lbs at the combine.

16. hags9k says:

Yak city.

17. Gerta Rauss says:

OilLeak:

I don’t think Marc Olivier-Roy is 180lbs either.He weighed in at about 168.5lbs at the combine.

I’m not convinced he plays center either. Mackenzie lists him as a center, but others(incl Pronman) list him as RW. There is an interview up on the Oilers site and he’s asked about his game, and he said “I play both wings”.

Anybody have any first hand info about this..?

18. Ducey says:

I love the Nurse pick. A terrific athlete and skater, good size, a mean streak, smart, and competitive. A top 2 defenseman gives this organization a plethora of options on the backend. The defensive depth along with the wonderkids will be the legacy of the rebuild years.

I like the fact that almost all of these guys are noted for “keeping their feet moving”, “being a hard worker”, “always having their motor running”, etc. They also got decent size for the most part (no Kellen Jones wtf types) with guys that might be able to contribute in the bottom six if they don’t develop offense.

Campbell and Muir are the only guys that make me scratch my head, but they are clearly draft and follows who will have 3 or 4 yrs to develop before the Oilers need to sign them. They could have taken a flier on a goalie instead of one of these guys, but what do I know?

19. Rondo says:

“My favorite OHL prospect as his potential going forward is through the roof. He is a strong physical player that is able to throw his weight around and make a big impact despite still being on the wiry side. Just wait until he gains another thirty pounds of muscle, with the aggressiveness and meanness he exhibits, he could be a true monster. Nurse skates very well for his size and has some intriguing offensive tools to continue developing as he becomes that strong two-way presence. An injury to his finger, picked up towards the end of the year, left him with a torn tendon that had to be surgically repaired causing him to miss the U18’s in Sochi, Russia and the NHL Combine fitness testing. That alone speaks volumes to how determined and gritty this kid is, as his play did not suffer one bit even with a difficult injury like this to play through. I feel he has top pairing potential with NHL All-Star upside.” – Dan Stewart

20. OilLeak says:

Gerta Rauss,

Pronman has him listed as RW

21. speeds says:

Ducey,

A goalie, perhaps, but what about Jordan Subban?

22. regwald says:

fuzzy muppet:
    Can’t say I’m a huge fan of today.

How much patience am I supposed to have?Apparently its an infinite amount.

I’d have rather they moved the picks for players.Hell They could have gotten Sekaras, Bolland and Frolik for this.Instead they get a bunch of “maybe one days”.

Teams that are Good can make moves like trading down.THis team needs help NOW.Now all the picks you could have used as assets to acquire players are no longer in play.

I don’t like it one bit.

I’ll give MacT more time but so far is more Tambo 2.0 than bold…

I would have to agree with you on MacT. There were players to be had for picks and the Oilers didn’t just keep their picks, they parlayed them into more picks. After bumping up against the 50 contract limit the past couple of years, they drafted 10 players this year. A couple going to US colleges, but still they did not add anything to help the big club this year. In fact, it sounds like (and I am happy to hear it), they think Nurse probably goes back to junior this fall.

So, the first test at the draft and MacT backs off on his strategy. Overpaying for Schneider would have been bad, so that’s a good end result. However, the next 7 days he has his next test – free agency.

23. Gerta Rauss says:

After having a few hours to digest this, I like the Nurse pick as well.

Nichuskin would have been my pick a couple of weeks ago**, but I had soured a bit on Nich after his combine, and it seems several NHL teams felt the same way.

**my pick was actually Lindholm, but we needed things to break right for us to get a chance at him.And as (bad) luck would have it, all 4 Centers were taken in the first 6 picks.

24. Rondo says:

I wonder who was ranked higher by the Oilers Monahan or Lindholm. Guess we will never know.

25. Ducey says:

fuzzy muppet,

Sekera, Bolland and Frolik were all salary dumps. Teams will still take next year’s picks to dump salary now.

None of those guys really excite me. One year of Bolland or Frolik doesn’t help much and both seem to have regressed in recent years. They also don’t bring much physical play or size. Sekera doesn’t seem to solve any of the Oiler’s defense problems. Might as well stock the cupboards.

It was pretty obvious MacT was after Coburn, so I guess we will see if that pans out.

26. Ducey says:

speeds:
    Ducey,

A goalie, perhaps, but what about Jordan Subban?

Maybe. I guess I am old school but I have a hard time seeing a 5’9″ defenseman being able to defend enough to have a chance. If his name wasn’t Subban he would just be another Joey Laleggia.

27. PunjabiOil says:

All that said, I prefered VN. Still do.

That being said, Nurse has some upside, and it’s encouraging 65% of his offence was at EV. He was also getting 2nd PP minutes, and playing the tough comp. He’s a guy I can see who takes the next step, especially with the physical genes and workout commitments. Internal motivation and character isn’t something that’s in everyone.

I can understand why they went with Nurse even though I don’t agree with it.
    ______________________

Re: MacT.

This is feeling like 2007 again. Overpromising, under-delivering.

MacT has loose lips, and it makes no sense to talk when there’s no benefit in doing so. Why boldly declare that you plan to move Horcoff and Hemsky? Is there anything wrong with doing it quietly? What was the gain in making such a declaration?

Already seems MacT will be moving to plan B

“My initial thought is that you generally default to no deal rather than a bad deal,” MacTavish concluded. “I know there’s going to be more deals made. We’re hopeful we can get some things done. I may not be as optimistic, but I’m still very hopeful.

“Coming in here, I felt like we could use those second-round picks to help our team and that didn’t turn out to be the case. Now I will be willing to move pieces.”

28. bookje says:

I think what MacT may need to do is overpay a FA so that he can get exactly what the team needs as opposed to what he can get at a good price.

29. lance says:

Definitely sad to not see any sign of a plan to compete soon. I waited the last three years, what’s three more? Season ticket waiting list still full.

Competition for roster spots though unchartable is probably pretty important. If all they did today was collect no soldiers able to push for roster spots and thereby evaporate any complacency, if Musil realizes that he’s not a lock for 5/6, and if it gets him on a treadmill, then maybe that’s not all bad.

Love the Russian component. Sure wish they went all in with VN. That would have made my day.

Dallas. sigh.

30. dessert1111 says:

I think I remember hearing Roy say that he has played wing for the past two years and played centre until then, and he now feels more comfortable on the wing. I could be confusing him with someone else too, though.

31. Gret99zky says:

It will be interesting to see how Gillis handles the Luongo situation after what happened today.

MacT had better be watching closely because he will likely have to do the same with Horcoff and Hemsky.

32. Gerta Rauss says:

PunjabiOil:

MacT has loose lips, and it makes no sense to talk when there’s no benefit in doing so.Why boldly declare that you plan to move Horcoff and Hemsky?Is there anything wrong with doing it quietly?What was the gain in making such a declaration?

I think he was softening the ground a bit for the fanbase, and it also signaled that change was indeed forthcoming.

I’m not saying it’s the correct thing to do, but it does provide an explanation.

Mac T is rather verbose, I’ll give you that, but I think he’s learning on the job as well.

33. RexLibris says:

The picks:

1. Nurse – not my first choice but a better long-term pick than Nichushkin. Wish we’d have gotten Monahan or Lindholm, but then I might as well wish for Barkov for all the good that will do. Nice pick, and considering he was rated as the 2nd best blueliner in the draft, and still has two or three more years of junior ahead of him, that speaks volumes.

2. Olivier-Roy – kind of sounds like Lander with hands. Sounds like the kind of pick where, in a few years’ time people look back and say “he was still around that late?”

3. Yakimov – draft and follow. Let him spend some time developing overseas. As I understand the European transfer arrangement they have four years to sign him. Might not take that long, but he sounds promising and having a stellar countryman (locally even) to play with is always a useful enticement.

4. Slepyshev – love this pick. He is a gamble, but this is a better place to gamble with transfers than the first two rounds, in my opinion. Great talent and even if he only plays a few years for the Oilers before going back to the KHL, having a hired gun available internally is a far superior option than trying to trade for one.

5. Houck – not sure there. Was never bullish on Cornet, so I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

6. Platzer – sounds like Ewanyk, and a better use of a pick in this range than he was, but nevertheless this feels like a “we need to develop an agitator” pick.

7. Muir – I’ll admit it is hard to see this name and not think of B Muir from a few drafts ago. That being said, sounds like a redundant pick to Platzer. Time will tell. If even one of these two can make it to the AHL it is a draft-day win.

8. Campbell – don’t understand this one, unless it was throwing a bone to a loyal bird-dog.

9. Betker – not sure why, but I get a Brandon Davidson gut feeling from this pick. We’ll see, but I think we may hear his name in the AHL in a few years’ time.

9. Chase – wondered if he would come up. I’m reminded of Nick Ebert from last year, projected as a 2nd or even 1st round pick, he went last overall because of some perceived character issues. Chase needs work, but maybe he overcomes some obstacles and makes a career out of it.

All in all, not a bad day’s work. One positive thing I take from this draft, and seeing how MacTavish ran things, is that this organization is going to be run methodically and with a very distinct, almost unemotional vision. The flashy thing would have been to move NHL assets or prospects for picks, instead he turned one asset into five. Accepted some risk in doing so, but felt confident enough that value could be recouped in the long-term and went ahead with it.

Next draft, if the OIlers fall anywhere south of 10th overall, I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see him trade down a few times, pick up more picks and then move them for players. It seems to be the most efficient way to do business when you’ve already got your aces and kings in place.

Oh, and Kanvig. That was funny.

34. gangplank says:

am I the only one disappointed that we missed out on Tyler Kennedy?
    He would have been the perfect 3rd line winger.

35. RexLibris says:

Gret99zky:

What a gong show that is turning out to be.

Heard this line today that Gillis is spinning it as though Schneider was being developed for a flip the entire time. Nice way to build player loyalty. First Hodgson, now Schneider. I almost hope he leads the Devils to a SCF (maybe not a win) just to shove it up Gillis’ backside.

Hard to choose now which team is the bigger circus, the Flames or the Canucks.

36. steveisfunny says:

Hey I finally figured out my info to get into your comments <3

I truely feel like some of our previous depth draft picks will be traded off, a Gernat Simpson or Marincin will likely be traded for future help

37. Dark Asia says:

Rookie GM talks big and gets punked by the big boys – big surprise. What team has turned over almost half their roster in a summer during the cap era? That would be none. Nobody wants any contracts this summer let alone the trash the Oilers are trying to peddle. Oiler mgmt has zero respect around the league and wasted their entire weekend chasing a goalie they were never going to get. How many VAN-EDM trades in history? Well played Gillis and the Oilers never learn – whale hunting instead of spending time making small incremental positive moves. So far Mactavish has achieved nothing except flapping his gums and announcing he doesn’t have any confidence in his captain, best veteran forward and starting goalie – all of which will now be loath to return or tagged as damaged goods and pretty much untradable for more than pennies on the dollar.

As for the prospects picked – Nurse is a safe pick and nice kid but will probably be closer to Smid than Pronger. Pretty funny watching his family trying not to look too pissed off. The kid from the Q is a longshot and I kind of like Slepyshev – but if he was such good value why didn’t they take him in R7 last year? The other Russian screams Mihknov to me but your mileage may vary. The rest likely never play an NHL game. So call me unimpressed overall with the return on supposedly the deepest draft since 2003.

But on to UFA signings and I doubt Mactavish will be grinning about how doing nothing can be the best move this summer. That’s only true when you want to get the old GM fired and take his job – can’t do too much or it makes it difficult to ditch the guy. But everyone knows how Oiler mgmt operates and no character vet is going to EDM unless the overpay is massive. So be prepared for more disappointment on July 5 as the Oilers are now even more desperate to make some kind of deal – and no GM, agent or UFA will particularly interested in helping that crew out of that jam without a sizable pound of flesh in return.

38. bookje says:

Gerta Rauss: It might have something to do with trading/releasing 2 loyal players that have been with the club for 10+ years, one of them your captain. Mac T has had a long term coach/player relationship with both of these guys as well.

I expect both of them to be with the Oilers this fall. He has been public about it to demonstrate that neither of them will fetch much value (i.e. to avoid the Souray situation of ‘he didn’t even try to trade me’).

39. Ribs says:

Wanna learn how to pronounce Yakupov’s name? Check out the vid with New Yak City. – http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=4&id=261628&cmpid=embed-share-video

40. Gerta Rauss says:

bookje,

Yup,could be.

I think everything between both extremes is possible.

I think Hemsky has some value and can be moved-it won’t be much of a return,but if we eat some salary, he should be able to bring back something that is useful, even if it is a 3rd line grinder.

With Horcoff, I think a buyout is still a possibility assuming they need the capspace. Mac T will have the cover of “exhausting all possiblities” prior to having to buyout the captain of the team.

I’d be fine with building a tough minutes line around Hemsky-he might be able to convince some of his Czech buddies to play in Edmonton(Jagr among others)

41. nelson88 says:

As always, thanks for the excellent coverage LT.

I have been banging on a high end C all year and still have a hard time seeing how the fix that problem. However; I can’t be unhappy about DN at #7 as that would have been my choice as well. In addition to the touted qualities I’m willing to bet 2013/14 demonstrates a higher offensive ceiling and in a couple of years people are saying “he went at 7, best D prospect outside the NHL”

I don’t live in vancouver anymore but what a gong show that is going to be. Vancouver “fans” and press, Luongo as your starter, Tortorella as coach, Gillis feeling the pressure. I’m predicting a volcanic like eruption and stand by my bet with DeeSFu from two years ago that 13-14 is the year the Oilers overtake the Dy’s.

MacT: ok to be “bold” but don’t do anything stupid in free agency that will be an anchor around the organization in 2 – 3 years.

42. gcw_rocks says:

Gret99zky,

You are so right. He wasn’t. Very smart shooting his mouth off and its not helping.

Talk is cheap. Talk also puts more pressure on the organization when it doesn’t need more pressure. Oilers needed an expereinced hand and got a rookie with an ego problem.

43. gcw_rocks says:

steveisfunny,

If that’s true then MacT really is an idiot. He had picks to trade yesterday to use a curreny to get players. Instead of using them to get quality or trade for NHL players, he traded down to get a bunch of suspects who are years away from helping the Oilers, if they ever do. And so instead he will go out and spend prospects who are much much closer to being ready to help the big club? That’s asset management? No, that’s stupid.

I hope having beers with Lowe, MacT and Buchy is worth it, Katz. You putz!

44. mustang says:

Loved the Nurse pick, he is and hopefully turns out to be exactly what we needed on D. My guess is we will be looking back on this draft in 5 yrs and will be talking about hitting the jackpot. I think the Slep pick and the Roy,Chase picks will be good picks as well. Would have been nice to add some NHL players yesterday, the summer just started, no need to hit the panic button. I think MacT did a great job and I couldn’t be much happier. I would like to see Horton, Colburn, and a Emery added before camp.

45. art vandelay says:

Canada Day 2013: When Oil fans realize that switching out “8-9 roster spots” isn’t as easy as signing in to your Yahoo Fantasy Hockey Pool and clicking a few buttons.

46. DeadmanWaking says:

PunjabiOil: MacT has loose lips, and it makes no sense to talk when there’s no benefit in doing so.

If there was no benefit, but this is hard to demonstrate. Have you ever watched poker sharps on TV? Some of those guys keep their yaps going 100% and they seem to do all right in the end. MacT was fresh into the role and operating with less knowledge of the other guys at the table, so he shows up wearing green felt and a feather cap and parlays that into extended dialogue with just about everyone who’s anyone. No benefit? Clearly you don’t work for the NSA.

The stoics and the gadflies can both succeed. It’s suspected there’s a small advantage to having the style that’s in the minority at the table. This is why the left-handed are vastly overrepresented at the high levels of individual sports such as tennis (the minority tends to be well prepared to play against the majority, while many in the majority have rarely even seen the minority and certainly not often enough to distinguish the group as a whole from individual quirks).

What you can’t get away with is a knee-jerk reaction to your most recent success or failure. If that’s how you roll psychologically on the inside then very clearly you need to sit at the table and STFU because yapping is only going to amplify your existing leak.

I don’t think MacT is going to succumb to the pressure for public play-by-play accountability in how he manages his table image. In a week of poker, your outcome is largely defined by half a dozen decisions made when the table was groaning under the largest pots. This is where you find out whether you’ve sized up your adversaries successfully by whatever method suited your circumstance.

I think MacT did himself a favour by forcing it into the light of day that Vancouver took less than they could have on the basis of geopolitical factors. Their are many reasons why players don’t go to the highest nominal bid, even though this assumption is usually contained in what purports to be hindsight 20-20.

The first GM I’d fire is the one who falls into the trap of letting the fan base micro-manage his accountability, which would have all the other GMs licking their lips.

What It Means When Horses Lick And Chew:

The main significance of the licking and chewing is there will be a change in the horse’s actions or demeanor. Whenever I see a horse licking and chewing I try to back off and let the horse think. I try to not intrude on its thoughts. … Licking and chewing is nothing more than the mirror of a human thinking something over unaware that s/he is massaging their chin. Licking and chewing with horses is simply giving some thought.

Sometimes licking precedes a fall. If you’ve got a ten-gallon feather cap, you can exploit that, too.