HERE COMES SUMMER!

I get the feeling we’re going to be saying things like ‘you just blew my mind’ to the twitter and Mr. Google this weekend. An entire volume of stories will be wrapped up in one weekend sonnet, and brothers and sisters we better be paying attention.

Among the early items that we should keep track of:

• According to James Mirtle, Taylor Hall may be named to the season ending all-star team. That’s huge, massive. A 2nd All-Star team nod for Hall this early in his career would be a monster indicator of his place in the game. Messier got his first LW All-Star nod in 1981-82 (year three, it was a 1st All-Star honor) and the final Oilers All-Star was Messier (1st all-star C) in 1989-90. Should Hall receive this award, it would imo represent a watershed for the new cluster. I’m not a major supporter of NHL awards, but this is one tough damn list to make and has enormous value.
  • Ilya Bryzgalov’s agent is trying to get his client a job and has mentioned Edmonton as a possible destination. Bryz was not great in Philly, fabulous in Phoenix and he’s a little long in the tooth now. I think there may be interest from the Oilers, depending on price. I haven’t decided if I like the idea or not–his Flyer EV SP numbers are not good–but if the price point is reasonable and the term is one year then it might work.
  • The Lightning are buying out Vincent Lecavalier, and the payout is a monster. Holy hell this is going to be a blood bath for owners, the Di Pietro buyout is going to have everyone agog.
  • I wonder if Luongo gets bought out. This could be a wild ride.

A few things about the draft:

• Sounds like MacT is willing to deal down one or two spots in the first round and may deal a second rounder for immediate help.
  • The MacT quote about skill, skill, skill is a thing of beauty.
  • If they stay at 7, I think they’ll take one of (assuming MacKinnon, Drouin, Jones, Barkov, Monahan and Lindholm are off the list) Horvat, Nichushkin or Nurse. I don’t believe they have Lindholm ahead of Horvat.

I’ll update as I can, but this is going to be a very fluid few days. Hang on to your hat!

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

phone booth

10 this morning, we roll. Scheduled to appear:

Looking forward to it, your questions and comments are always the best. @Lowetide_ on twitter, 10-1260 via text or leave your comments/questions here and I’ll pass them along.

It’s here, baby!

146 Responses to "HERE COMES SUMMER!"

1. DBO says:

Lecavalier being bought out. Bolland and Leddy available form Chicago to help them move up in draft and free up cap space to sign Bickell. Kunitz being smart and resigning 3 years at $3.85 mill. Giddy!!!!! let’s get this shit rolling.

FYI any Calgary folk Deerfoot from glenmore to 17th is closed due to a bridge failing with a rain on it and flammable materials on it so evacuation all around it. stay home people if you are in the south. traffic at gridlock.

2. hodgkins says:

F5 is my homeboy for the next few days.

3. FrankenOil says:

DBO,

Do you have a link for where I can find more about Bolland/Leddy being available? I would LOVE Bolland!

4. DBO says:

FrankenOil,

Unfortunately it is on Hockeybuzz. yes I am that desperate for news and rumours I looked there. One of the Blackhawk bloggers mentioned it. Wondered about him before.

Bolland would be nice. Another very similar player in age and dollars is Peverley from Boston. Both would be a solid 3rd line centre with Peverley better at faceoffs and playing more OK, Bolland with better defensive awareness and Peverley better offensively.

5. gangplank says:

Lecav might not be a bad target to go after in the FA. Big strong center playing between gagner and Yakupov?

6. VanOil says:

Thanks LT, Spoiler and Blue Bullet for these excellent reference notes going into a exciting weekend.

Lecalvalier would look mighty good lifting the cup for the Oilers.

I don’t quite get the lack of love for Lindholm. Sure Monahan is two inches taller and played more Center against boys than him but I am pretty sure you can still play NHL hockey a 6 foot even in the big bad Western conference if you have enough skill. If Lindholm is available at #7 I would struggle not to see him as the BPA.

7. sliderule says:

No to Bryzgalov.

Any player that talks down about our fine city should not be considered

Let him go to hockey hotspot like Florida so he can lay on beach and spend Flyers money

8. bones says:

LT, do you know what’s up with the 1260 podcast uploads lately? Been hit and miss

9. LMHF#1 says:

Well, it appears this team (and many others of course) may be staring a unique opportunity to immediately reload the roster at reasonable cost directly in the face. With Mr. Dithers gone and a slew of players who were supposed to be locked up being set free, the action could well be fast and furious.

A team with a few guys looking for big time redemption can be a very powerful thing. I’d take Vinny and Bryzgalov on short term deals any day.

bones:
    LT, do you know what’s up with the 1260 podcasts uploads lately? Been hit and miss

No, I check every once in awhile and they seem to be there. Problem?

11. Racki says:

I can’t help myself from imagining Vinny Lecavalier here completely solving our top-six center woes. However, I also expect he’d still earn a huge cheque, and also the Canadiens are probably where he’ll wind up in the long run. But I can still dream.

As far as the draft, I’m liking Val Nichushkin the more I see him. But it’s also pretty easy to get all worked up over YouTube videos. But he seems to have a great set of wheels and uses his body very well to protect the puck, powerfoward style. He also says he wants to play in the NHL next year. Not sure if the AHL is an option for him (he can play there, since he’s not drafted into the CHL, just not sure if he would do it, or run to the KHL). I think he’d be worth the risk. It sucks that he’s a RW though (or right shot, specifically), because it’s not likely we’d see him paired with Yakupov, at least not without one of them suffering.

I think the Canes will take either Nurse or Nichushkin, the Flames may take Lindholm, and that we will take Monahan.

All said and done, we’ll have a choice of all but two of Nichushkin, Monahan, Nurse, Lindholm, Horvat, Ristolainen. That’s kind of the order i’d go in. I know Lindholm has a higher NHLE than the other guys, but I just am worried it won’t really work in the NHL. Maybe I’m overly paranoid now because Paajarvi didn’t slam dunk his way into the NHL (still think he’s a good player, just not what I hoped yet… and that might have a lot to do with the role change he’s made, as well as bouncing around lines).

I honestly hope the Oilers don’t trade down. It didn’t sound like MacT would though, because he said the offers for the pick have been pretty weak so far and not anywhere near what he needs to move the pick.

12. Smarmy says:

If Gagner contract goes south you can move him for backend help and maybe Lecav and Jagr are decent bets if the price is right and the deal is short?

13. bones says:

BTW, the craic with Nielson yesterday was great, n really look forward to Kirk’s appearances. Great work, man.

14. Bad Seed says:

If MacT is talking skill, skill, skill – I’m not sure how he could pick Horvat in front of Lindholm with a straight face.

15. DBO says:

Racki,

I hope they do deal down no further then 11 (Philly). Because one of those players you mentioned will still be there. if they feel there is no separation between them get another asset. Personally still hope they get pry Coburn out of there.

16. Bushed says:

Maybe Lindholm falls further than expected?

I just hope Philly doesn’t get him–they won their own little mini-lottery when Couturier fell into their laps.

hodgkins,

There’s going to be a run on F5 key replacements at the Geek Squad desks all over Edmonton next week!

If you refuse to put Cloutier on your show, how about Fussy Britches? She’d make for awesome radio, don’t you think? You could post pics on the blog afterwards.

Just a thought…

17. bones says:

Lowetide: No, I check every once in awhile and they seem to be there. Problem?

Your hr2 is missing, and the Gregor and Struds shows sometimes don’t appear for days, with sections missing

18. FrankenOil says:

FrankenOil,

100% agree on Peverly. I would like him and/or Matt Cullen. Both can play Wing or Centre and have offense in their game and can move up in the line-up should injuries hit Gags or RNH.

Bones: Huh. I know Connor posted hour 2, weird.

20. knighttown says:

If I’m the Oilers I go all out to try and flip #7 to Columbus for #14 and #19 or even #14 and #27. I’d even consider moving #7 to Calgary for #22, #28 and #67.

This draft is just jammed with tiers of guys who are strikingly similar.

With the two picks I want either:
    1. One guy from tier A and one guy from tier B. OR
    2. Two guys from tier A OR
    3. One from A or B and Nichuskin.

Tier A are the massive defensemen; Nurse, Ristolainen, Morin and Zadorov. The little guy of that group is Darnell Nurse at 6’4′ and they can all skate.

Tier B are the Bergeron/J. Staal two-way centres. I target Freddy Gauthier the 6’5″ centre and Jordan Staal clone, who some have tabbed the best defensive 17 year old centre in 20 years. Obviously I take Monahan or Lindholm if they are on the board and the consolation prizes are Wenneberg, Horvat and Lazar..

For #37 you grab either from Tier C or Tier D or Tier B again if you went with two Tier A’s
    1. Puck moving defensemen group (Pulock, Hagg, Morrissey, Meuller, Bowey). I’d target Pulock.
    2. Rugged wingers (Erne, Rychel, Hartman, De La Rose)
    3. Obviously anyone of Wenneberg, Gauthier or Lazar that might be around and add JT Compher and Emile Poirier.
    OR Draft Zach Fucale if he’s still around.

Not picking best case scenarios, very realistically you come out of the first two rounds with:

Ristolainen, Gauthier and Ryan Hartman or Wenneberg, Morin and Fucale or Ristolainen, Zadorov and Compher.

The luxury the Oilers have is the ability to ignore (in the first 45 picks) any of the offense only guys like Domi, Petan, Zykov, Shunkaruk, Mantha and Klimchuck.

21. Martin Lundén (dohfOs) says:

Lowetide: No, I check every once in awhile and they seem to be there. Problem?

You should get someone to fix the sorting. ATM May 15th is at the top and there’s no easy way to find the latest available episode.

22. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Hall! Supernova! good for him, good for us.

Bryz: no. not even for free. the era of long shot bets (Barker) are over.

Vinny: yes. if he comes in at 5M x 4 or something like that

I wonder if Katz is suddenly not feeling so bad about paying Souray for the last couple of years?

23. dulock says:

Currently, I’m hoping for the hilariously awesome and yet somehow almost feasible: MacT signs Lecavalier, Hamrlik and Dipietro once they’re bought out/become UFAs and then trades for Phillips, Jovanovski and Fleury. You’d have

Four forwards, Three defenceman and Two goalies who were all #1OV picks without really giving up a whole lot. Then the hilarity begins.

24. Racki says:

DBO:
    Racki,
    I hope they do deal down no further then 11 (Philly). Because one of those players you mentioned will still be there. if they feel there is no separationbetween them get another asset. Personally still hope they get pry Coburn out of there.

Yah, I agree with you, how you phrase it. I don’t know if I’d say there is no separation though. I know a lot of people don’t respect Craig Button, but I’ll mention it anyways.. he feels that Nurse (or was it Nichushkin??.. likely all 3, anyway) and Monahan are in a class above Lindholm. So that’s kind of my reasoning there.. I’d like to ensure we really do get the BPA.

However, I do like Braydon Coburn, so that might make me consider dropping to 11 if I were GM. But there are no guarantees any of the guys I mentioned will be there at 11 (if you do the counting starting from pick 5, they run out at 10, unless say NJ picks Lazar as some expect, or something like that happens).

If you are a firm believer that any of the guys I mentioned plus Lazar (or someone else) are on the same level, then I suppose a deal to drop to 11 makes sense. I’m not so sure there though.

25. DBO says:

Mentioned Malone as a buyout trade a month ago (Friedman saying Tampa would move him plus a 3rd to clear space). Yep he’s older, but he is worth the gamble of it got us a 3rd as well. if he doesn’t work you deal him or buy him out next summer. Yeah he has warts, but not sure if we can find a player like him without paying huge money.

Trade futures for malone and a 3rd
    Trade a 2nd for Peverley
    Swap the 7th and Potter for the 11th and Coburn

Hall-Nuge-Eberle
    Malone-Gagner-Yak
    Paajarvi-Peverley-Jones/UFA?
    Smyth-Lander-Brown

Coburn-Petry
    Smid-Shultz
    Shultz-Belov

That is a much better team. And there are still UFA’s to sign. Swap Lander for Gordon and add a solid two way RW and we have a playoff team. Not to mention who we may draft, but it means we don’t have to rush anyone.

26. wheatnoil says:

Racki:

27. Rondo says:

Braydon Coburn is that player fans hope other teams would like so they can trade him. Phiily fans know this guy is overrated. he will be making 5.5 M next year.

28. DBO says:

Rondo,

His cap is $4.5. And he would be our best defenseman by a wide margin. Getting top end dmen is hard, and he would make us better. And if the team feels they can get the guy they want at 11, then it makes sense.

29. striatic says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Horvat over Lindholm will make me rip my eyes out. No, a thousand nos. If that is the case though, at the very least trade down and find something of value… no use reaching and walking away for an extra slice of cake.

exactly. Horvat is an ok option if the Oilers swap picks but picking Horvat at 7 would be lunacy.

the coppernblue comparables article breaks down why – http://www.coppernblue.com/2013/6/18/4431126/bo-horvat-draft-comparables

Braydon Coburn is a lot better than Ryan Whitney. He has only three years left on his contract (minor overpay), which is a perfect bridge to all of the Oilers prospect D.

Only if Monahan and Lindholm aren’t there, then I would be willing to trade down to #11 to get Coburn.

Barkov could go #3 now that Vinny has been bought out. Poile would have to choose between Seth Jones, Monahan, and Lindholm.

31. remlap says:

justDOit,

Fellow Calgarian here fellas. Fortunately I work out in Airdrie, so once I got out of my community (Ramsay.. Just south of Inglewood), it was clear sailing going NB on the Deerfoot. What a mess though.

32. Rondo says:

DBO,

“Trade Braydon Coburn. His overall level of play has gotten steadily worse over the last few seasons, but he is still well regarded among many clubs and has value. They probably could have gotten a better return if they moved him at the trade deadline”

If Philly thought he was that good they would find a way not to trade him

33. FrankenOil says:

Channeling my inner-Principe, with all of the “Wild” rumors out there,

Does anyone think the Oilers may look to acquire all 3 of the guys the Wild have on the block (or may buy-out) in Gilbert, Clutterbuck and Brodziak? Offer both seconds, Pitlick and Lander?

34. fifthcartel says:

Dan Tencer ‏@dantencer 1m

@lclm80 Gagner will get signed, no doubt. Horcoff and Hemsky will both be traded soon.

Tencer re: Update on those three.

35. OilClog says:

Vinny – Hall – Yak
    RNH – GAGS – EBS

OH MY LORD! A FELLA CAN DREAM!

If we could get Vinny.. We would still be on pace with getting atleast 1 #1 per offseason.. What an addition that would be.

36. OilClog says:

FrankenOil:
    Channeling my inner-Principe, with all of the “Wild” rumors out there,

Brodziak.. Pretty much hates us, 1/3 of his season’s point totals usually are against us lol. I couldn’t see him wanting to come back here.
    Clutterbuck.. He would be a nice addition, but can they get along?

37. CurtisS says:

Someone answer this?

Since Vinny has a NMC and can refuse to go on waivers, can he still be bought out?

38. Ribs says:

Man, Vinny would be a great pickup. Injuries have really taken their toll on the guy but he’s still a great player. It would be very strange seeing a huge guy line up at center for this team on opening day. Damn scary powerplay with hjm on Schultz on the points, too. He’s older than MacT is looking for, but c’mon! Chicago has Hossa! Aw heck, I won’t get my hopes up.

39. justDOit says:

CurtisS,

Good question – but I believe they say ‘waivers for the purpose of buying out his contract’ in this situation, so maybe there’s a slight distinction here in the wording.

Who knows – Vinny is so connected to the south Flo area that he might just retire?

40. jonrmcleod says:

Tencer is giving some interesting answers about the draft on Twitter. Not sure if he knows anything or not.

Says Hemsky + the 7th would get the 5th from Carolina.

Thinks that if Lindholm and Monahan are already taken, the Oilers would take NiNichushkin, Nurse, Horvat.

41. wheatnoil says:

Rondo:
    DBO,

If Philly thought he was that good they would find a way not to trade him

He might be available because with the acquisition of Streit, the Flyers now have a LOT of money tied on defense (even if you exclude Pronger since he’ll be on LTIR). Without Pronger, they still have 6 Defense under contract next season making 3.5 Million or more and they still have Gustafsson left to sign. With the rise of Gustafsson and Schenn, the return from injury of Meszaros, and the acquisition of Streit, something may shake loose. Coburn is certainly a possibility. He would make the Oilers better, that’s for damn sure.

42. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

Bad Seed:

Maybe he was say just saying skull, skull, skull?
    If the choice is Lindhold or Horvat he’d better say Skol, Skol, Skol.

43. fifthcartel says:

Another from the Tencer Tweets – Fistric won’t be resigned.

44. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Rondo: If Philly thought he was that good they would find a way not to trade him

Not necessarily. Great, good, etc. players get traded all the time for a variety of reasons. And sometimes when the reason is the trading team has soured on the player… they are just making a bad bet.

45. Romulus Apotheosis says:

fifthcartel:
    Another from the Tencer Tweets – Fistric won’t be resigned.

What’s he doing some kind of twitter “ask me anything” blitz?

46. sliderule says:

OilClog: Someone in the current cluster of supernova’s does not like Gilbert.. He won’t be back
    Clutterbuck.. He would be a nice addition, but can they get along?

With his hot temper when he sends you out the door there are lots of bad feelings.

If Horcoff is bought out rather than traded you can put a certain amount of it on same guy.

47. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Нинтендо⁶⁴: Maybe he was say just saying skull, skull, skull?
    If the choice is Lindhold or Horvat he’d better say Skol, Skol, Skol.

I want your skulls! I need your skulls!

48. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

Romulus Apotheosis: What’s he doing some kind of twitter “ask me anything” blitz?

Forgot he wan’t logged into his britches account.

49. jonrmcleod says:

Tencer was asked: “who’s your gut feeling if the Oilers keep their pick at 7? Outside of the top 3, who would be tops I’m their wishlist?”

Tencer: VN, EL, SM or DN. maybe BH

(I’m assuming he eliminated Barkov as a possibility as well.)

He’s very high on Nichushkin. Not sure if that’s just him or if he knows something.

50. striatic says:

godot10: The search for perfection is sometimes silly. Would Coburn improve the Oilers defense and fit within the teams’ cap structure. Yep. Would he be the ideal addtiion? Nope, but far better than a lot of options.

i’m more interested in Tye McGinn. very small sample size but he posted an incredible Corsi Rel last year while putting up 0.3 PPG.

not sure he’s worth flipping picks for, but he is an interesting depth prospect.

51. fifthcartel says:

Yeah pretty much.

Other than that, expects Hemsky and Horcoff to be traded soon. Horcoff most likely before the draft/on draft day. People asked about Clutterbuck a lot and he said ‘very possible’

52. DBO says:

Would like Clutterbuck as our 3 RW. Man, and if they move Hemsky for Smith and something? Whole different team, especially if they do what I said above (Coburn, Peverley, Malone). No more issue of size, grit, etc.

53. RexLibris says:

No thanks on Lecavalier. I’d rather use him as a smokescreen and go directly to the second best center available. Price will be lower and the suitors fewer while the rest of the league chases Lecavalier thinking he is still the player he was ten years ago. Maybe he signs in Calgary, that’d be a laugh.

I’d look at Ference as a UFA blueliner.

Not sure if Bolland does shake free, but if so, then he’d be a great replacement for Horcoff. Although, if Bolland is bought out I can’t see how Horcoff retains any trade value whatsoever.

Re: Tencer and Hemsky and #7 for Car’s #5 – this is something I’d been thinking of a while back. It lets Carolina get an immediate player and draft a defeseman. if things go south, they flip Hemsky at the deadline and recoup their investment.

54. FrankenOil says:

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 22s
    Heard from another team that the Blackhawks are shopping center Dave Bolland…

55. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

RexLibris:

….Re: Tencer and Hemsky and #7 for Car’s #5…

Do we get more or less if we drop Tencer from that trade or throw in Stauffer?

56. wheatnoil says:

RexLibris:

Who do you take with the 5th pick?

Obviously if TB goes ahead and picks Nichushkin, then one of Barkov, Jones, or Drouin is available. If not, you’re looking at Monahan or Lindholm. Is it worth Hemsky to trade up and grab one of them for sure as opposed to hoping one of them slips past Carolina and Calgary?

(Edited to decrease verbosity)

57. fifthcartel says:

MacT could bolster our third line immensely with Bolland and Clutterbuck.

58. justDOit says:

fifthcartel:
    MacT could bolster our third line immensely with Bolland and Clutterbuck.

Quoted just so I could see that in writing again. Oh yeah…

striatic: he fits within the team’s cap structure for next year but not so sure after that.

Nick Schultz only has 1 year left. Did you see what Streit signed for? Did you see what Shattenkirk signed for (NO UFA years included)? A top 4 D costs $4-$5 million. The Oilers got Smid on a bit of a hometown discount. On the open market, he would have gotten $4 something. The attractive thing about Coburn is the term is limited. 3 years. For any competent UFA guy, you have to be offering 4 or 5.

I don’t move down for Coburn and #11 for #7 and stuff if Monahan or Lindholm is there. But Coburn and Horvat/Lazar looks pretty good to me if Monahanlindholm isn’t there.

60. OilClog says:

sliderule: The guy that Brodziak Souray and Glencross types hate is still there right at top of pyramid.

Souray is a completely different beast then the other two.. Souray was talking madness before he was out of town.. He created his own bed, the Oilers also failed at solving the situation more positively and properly for the club.. but Souray created his own bed.

Brodziak and Glencross did their talking and sticking it to us after we failed them..

61. fifthcartel says:

justDOit: Quoted just so I could see that in writing again. Oh yeah…

Definitely unrealistic, haha, but even one of them would be solid.

62. Ribs says:

Not a big fan of Bolland. Smaller guy that’s not great at faceoffs. He is feisty, though. Pass.

63. LMHF#1 says:

RexLibris:
    Hemsky and #7 for Car’s #5

That is freaking horrendous.

64. DBO says:

FrankenOil:
    Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 22s
    Heard from another team that the Blackhawks are shopping center Dave Bolland…

LOL. guess hockeybuzz dude has a real source.

65. FrankenOil says:

OilClog,

Do you anywhere where I can find quotes from those two? I never realized they left with such bitter feelings.

66. speeds says:

What does everyone think of Olesz as a possible reclamation project, assuming CHI buys him out (which it sounds like they will)?

67. Ribs says:

MIN talking extension with Clutterbuck but also talking trade involving him. UFA P-M Bouchard won’t be back; Matt Cullen probably not back.

PM-Freaking-Bouchard probably looking to sign with someone in our division since Minny is out. Sonofa—.

68. jonrmcleod says:

My gut is telling me yes.

69. FrankenOil says:

speeds,

I’m intrigued. I think his contract paid him like a top-6 when he is,in fact, a 3rd liner. I don’t think MacT is looking for reclamation projects though. He is looking for known commodities imo. I think he’d be an interesting option for a team like CGY that is looking for players (much like we were the past few years).

70. OilClog says:

FrankenOil:
    OilClog,

71. striatic says:

wheatnoil: Is it worth Hemsky to trade up and grab one of them for sure as opposed to hoping one of them slips past Carolina and Calgary?

yes, it is worth the final year of Hemsky’s contract for that.

72. Truth Movement says:

OilClog: Quotes.. do you watch the games.. do you see Brodziaks eyes when he plays us.. or always freaking scores on us.. How everytime he scores he yaps our bench endlessly.. You don’t always need quotes to determine the actions. Same with Glencross.. you can see these two love sticking it to us.. every single time. I don’t see how those two come back with the way they were shipped out of town. Chips on their shoulders, same guy at the top of the pyramid.. not a good recipe for a group hug.

Not quite sure how Glencross was “shipped out of town.”

73. PDO says:

LMHF#1: That is freaking horrendous.

McKenzie saying both Bolland and Clutterbuck are in play.

Paajarvi – Bolland – Clutterbuck would be a dream of a third line.

74. LMHF#1 says:

75. Romulus Apotheosis says:

jonrmcleod: Нинтендо⁶⁴: Do we get more or less if we drop Tencer from that trade or throw in Stauffer?
    My gut is telling me yes.

q: Would you like coffee or tea?

a: Yes, please!

76. dangilitis says:

Have a good source that informed me that Kelly and Steve were informed last night that they will continue on as part of coaching staff (think Kelly getting different role but not associate). I know that’s a shame because many wanted change, but Eakins did interview them and was a big part of the decision.

77. LMHF#1 says:

PDO: Depends… if it gets you Barkov and the Oilers actually let the kid stay in Finland for a year or two, it probably turns out spectacular.

78. Romulus Apotheosis says:

FrankenOil: He is looking for known commodities imo.

Not necessarily.

The Belov and potential Ranger signings alongside plucking from College and Europe seem to suggest he is open to creative ideas and what we might call “managed risk”

79. Romulus Apotheosis says:

dangilitis:

So they are adding someone and keeping the ole boys?

If that is Eakins’ choice, fine. but I’d prefer a complete turnover.

80. justDOit says:

Romulus Apotheosis: So they are adding someone and keeping the ole boys?

If that is Eakins’ choice, fine. but I’d prefer a complete turnover.

Apple or cherry?

81. PDO says:

LMHF#1: Does it turn out spectacular? That looks like a pretty big gamble that a guy like Barkov will become a massive contributor. If they go out and spend the saved money, then I suppose there’s more of an argument. I’ve never been in favor of moving up this year. If the pick value is so high, trade out for a really strong player who’s 22-28. I keep referencing the Mogilny trade. That’s the only kind of deal I’d accept if you’re dealing the pick +.

That said, if the pick can be dealt for something more immediate, sure.

Who is our Mogilny?

Zach Bogosian?

82. Romulus Apotheosis says:

justDOit: Apple or cherry?

ohhh Apple most days… but cherry every now and again.

83. Ducey says:

justDOit: Apple or cherry?

Apple.

Hemsky, Tencer and the 7th for the 5th and an apple turnover. Mmmm….

84. justDOit says:

Romulus Apotheosis: ohhh Apple most days… but cherry every now and again.

and here I expected you to say, “Yes please!”

85. LMHF#1 says:

PDO: I think you would get buckets of value from Barkov coming in on an ELC @ 20 years old.

That said, if the pick can be dealt for something more immediate, sure.

Who is our Mogilny?

Zach Bogosian?

I’d say a C or a D. A big, scoring LW would also be useful.

Tough to pin down names without knowing who’s kinda-sorta available. David Backes and Brent Burns would be two examples, though of course both are probably just this side of untouchable. How available was Mogilny though? What level of player could you get for say, #7, Magnus and Musil (or something)?

86. VanOil says:

Apples
    Cheerys
    Coffee
    Tea
    Skulls
    Skol
    and the Misifits.

I so hope the governors are having as much fun at there meeting as I am reading this Blog right now.

87. Romulus Apotheosis says:

justDOit: and here I expected you to say, “Yes please!”

You got me there… I missed the better answer.

88. RexLibris says:

wheatnoil: Who do you take with the 5th pick?

(Edited to decrease verbosity)

I’m working off of what has been mentioned already, but I think that trade sits until Carolina is up. But if Barkov is available, or Jones for that matter, I have to think that Carolina holds out for more.

My guess is that MacTavish would like Barkov, Monahan and then Lindholm, in that order.

89. spoiler says:

LMHF#1: Jagr did everything that Kirk described as being concerns for Nichuskin. Just saying.

What did Kirk think about Nichushkin?

90. LMHF#1 says:

spoiler: What did Kirk think about Nichushkin?

Floats occasionally. Not as interested away from the puck. Disappears at times.

91. Rondo says:

I’d guess Oilers list goes like this

Barkov
    Monahan
    Lindholm
    Nurse
    Nichushkin

I thinK Buffalo would trade up for the 7th pick if Nichushkin is available. He would fit nicely with Grigorenko.

Who knows Oilers may like him too.

92. Ribs says:

CurtisS:
    Someone answer this?

McKenzie Tweets….

Any player with No Move clause (Lecavalier, Briere) can be bought out without going on waivers if they elect to opt out of waiver option.

93. spoiler says:

RIP Don Baizley. Just saw that he passed.

94. spoiler says:

LMHF#1: Floats occasionally. Not as interested away from the puck. Disappears at times.

Thank you… that’s pretty much what I had on him too. Was looking for a little affirmation for marking him so hard. This let’s me know I wasn’t completely batty.

95. Gerta Rauss says:

TSN’s draft coverage

A feature on Scottish superstar Tony Hand – the last pick of the 1986 NHL Draft and the only United Kingdom born-and-raised player ever selected

96. Romulus Apotheosis says:

LT just said something like

“now the 3rd line is cooking with Petrol” and I heard it as “Petrell”

shudder moment.

97. Bag of Pucks says:

jonrmcleod:

Says Hemsky + the 7th would get the 5th from Carolina.

If Barkov slides to 5, I’d do that deal in a heartbeat. MacT will replace Hemsky with a bigger, grittier option on the 3rd line anyway. If the Oil can acquire one of the 4 foundational players in this draft by swapping picks and dumping Hemsky, you gotta pull the trigger baby.

Hemsky and Semin as two of the top 6 forwards on the Canes? Talk about high risk/high reward.

98. russ99 says:

Barkov is a dream pick. Doubt he gets to us, or even to a point where we can trade to get him.

I’m OK with any of Lindholm, Nurse or Monanan in that order at this point,

99. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bag of Pucks: If Barkov slides to 5

100. Captain Obvious says:

Question of the day: How absurd is David Staples?

He just suggested the Oilers should trade the #7 and Gagner for Oleksiak.

101. Kitchener says:

Still no announcement on Gagner’s contract. How long do these things usually take?

It’s getting easier to imagine that a deal won’t get done & he’ll be traded. Not what I want, but I’m surprised the deal isn’t signed yet.

My guess is Gagner wants 1C/2C money and MacT wants to pay 2nd line winger money, then use him as a backup C option when needed.

102. wheatnoil says:

Kitchener:
    Still no announcement on Gagner’s contract.How long do these things usually take?

It’s getting easier to imagine that a deal won’t get done & he’ll be traded.Not what I want, but I’m surprised the deal isn’t signed yet.

There’s really no pressure yet. Once free agency starts, then Gagner could be open to an offer sheet, but even then those are few and far between and often don’t come early in the free agency period when they do arrive. The deal could be announced today, sure, but I wouldn’t get concerned until it’s late July and there’s no signed deal. Gagner’s trade value only increases as we get into free agency. Who-ever is runner-up in the Lacavalier sweepstakes will look around and see who’s available to fill their skill centre spot and Gagner’s trade value will be higher at that time. For the record, I think he signs.

103. Bag of Pucks says:

Romulus Apotheosis: What are the chances Tampa takes Barkov now that Vinny is gone? I’d say pretty high.

Agree that the chances are slim to none that Barkov slides to 5. TB has Stamkos at C, so believe they’ll take Drouin at 3 (higher upside?). But Barkov is perfect for the Preds at 4.

104. Jon K says:

spoiler,

Reports from the combine say that Nichushkin significantly hurt his stock in the interviews. He was described as arrogant and disinterested in following instruction from others. When asked how he prepared for the combine he said he didn’t because he wanted to be fresh for the season. When asked if he thought this might affect his draft ranking he said he didn’t care about the tests.

I’m not at a computer right now but I’ll try to find the links later when I’m back at home.

105. Kitchener says:

A fun scenario: several buy-out UFAs get together and sign short cheap deals on the same team. “We’re gonna prove the critics wrong.”

Lecavalier, ____, Briere, _____, Luongo, _____,

The Expendibles.

106. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bag of Pucks: I think the pivotal moment for Oiler fans at this draft will boil down to whether Feaster takes Nicushkin or Monahan at 6.

107. Bag of Pucks says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Nah… Feaster is going to take Fucale at 6th. Best Goaltender not in the NHL. The Buttons are all over him.

If I was Feaster, I’d pick up someone like Mike Smith or Bryzgalov on the FA market instead and go for a franchise C in the draft. Very unpredictable GM and franchise, so it will be interesting to see what they do.

108. "Steve Smith" says:

LMHF#1: Floats occasionally.

He’s a witch! Occasionally.

109. Racki says:

wheatnoil: Keep in mind that Lindholm is a much better scorer than Paajarvi ever was. In his draft year, Paajarvi scored 0.34 PPG. Lindholm is at 0.63 PPG this last year. That’s close to Paajarvi’s Draft+1 year. Last year, Paajarvi’s season (16 pts in 42 games) is equal to about a 30 point season over 82 games (similar to his rookie season actually). I don’t know how Lindholm’s offence will translate to the NHL, but if he does so at the same rate as Paajarvi, we’d expect him to be a 55-60 point player in his Draft+4 year. That’s actually a low-end first line, very high end second-line forward!

Yah I definitely realize he put up better numbers than Paajarvi. So that does help put the mind at ease a bit. If he had the size to go with the skill, I probably wouldn’t be saying anyone but Lindholm for #7 (mind you, he’d be gone before then for sure too).

110. RexLibris says:

The Flames are set up to run MacDonald and Ramo in net for this coming season. They also have Ortio, Brossoit and Gillies developing.

If Feaster takes Fucale at #6, while I would laugh manically, I would also expect Murray Edwards to fire him before he could return to the draft table.

I think the Flames hope that Barkov falls to #6, have considered Nichushkin at that spot if he is available, and will probably end up deciding between Lindholm and Monahan.

Meaning that the Oilers can either trade up to #5 if Barkov is available, and pay through the nose in all likelihood, or wait until #7 and take whichever center is still available. If none are still there, they probably plan to trade down, pick up some immediate assets and perhaps a 4th round pick and then take the next best center in the third tier of talent.

111. Bag of Pucks says:

MacT has said the price being asked to trade into the Top 4 is unreasonable at the moment, so I think the most likely scenario is the Oil hold onto #7 to see if someone they like slides, and if that doesn’t happen, they trade down to pick up an additional asset(s).

Given that Monahan projects as a 2C away, I’d prefer they trade down for Horvat and pick up an additional asset like a Matt Read from Philly or Vermette from Phoenix.

Will be interesting to see if Monahan/Horvat turns out to be a similar scenario to Gagner/Couture down the road. OHL playoffs is an admittedly small size, but you do have to like the way Horvat elevated his game there.

112. Bag of Pucks says:

Btw, I really like Max Domi as the darkhorse pick in this draft. Has shown some sick skill and tenacity along the boards. Could be the Brad Marchand-esque player that gets short shrift as a prospect but is absolutely indispensable on your roster.

113. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bag of Pucks: I hope you’re right. With Kipper done, they’ve definitely got a need. Helluva lot pressure to put on an 18 yr old.

It’s a testament to Feaster’s crazy that you took me seriously.

Wouldn’t that be something, though?

114. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis: It’s a testament to Feaster’s crazy that you took me seriously.

Wouldn’t that be something, though?

115. gcw_rocks says:

I doubt Vinny would come to Edmonton, but if he would come for $4.5-$4.75 per season, you grab him and deal Gagner for defensive help. That would be a bold move.

116. FrankenOil says:

Bag of Pucks,

I wouldn’t really rate a guy who has been projected to go anywhere from 12-30 a darkhorse.

117. Romulus Apotheosis says:

RexLibris: I think I would probably respond something like this… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCsgh-5zRFE

how I feel about the Flames:

118. Bag of Pucks says:

FrankenOil:
    Bag of Pucks,

Strudwick has a good post on Oilers Nation today about the importance of drafting character and I think this kid has it in spades.

119. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Is the Moose acting peevish here?

And, ignoring that… is this the right way to build his non-playing profile if he wants to scout, coach or manage down the road?

120. justDOit says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Maybe he’s coming to Edmonton to be Eakins’ associate?

121. Bag of Pucks says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

Is the Moose acting peevish here?

Looks like he got tired of waiting for Slats to retire.

122. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

Captain Obvious:
    Question of the day:How absurd is David Staples?

He just suggested the Oilers should trade the #7 and Gagner for Oleksiak.

After getting beat up on twitter for a while he suggested #7 and Gagner would buy #2. Some fluctuations in the crazy map today. Hey Dale, It’s Nill on line 2 again.

123. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I’d stay away from Bolland.

he’s going to want the “I won the cup through the pain” bonus going forward.

I don’t think you can get players from deep playoff runs at a reasonable contract.

124. Marc says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

@Bob_Stauffer: I am told the ‘Hawks are looking for a Pominvile-like return for Bolland

So that would be a 1st rd pick, a 2nd rd pick a backup goalie and a mediocre prospect. Seems like an awful lot for an injury prone forward on the final year of his contract, even if he does have a lot of grit and poise.

125. justDOit says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

You’re probably right on that, but it has to be weighed against that type of player being exactly what the Oilers need.

Kudos to Bowman for shrewd asset mgmt though – offering a character/utility center who just scored the gwg in the scf’s, is called selling high.

Edit: After seeing what Bowman’s asking price for Bolland is, that’s not called selling high, that’s Feasting (yes).

126. wheatnoil says:

Marc:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

So that would be a 1st rd pick, a 2nd rd pick a backup goalie and a mediocre prospect.Seems like an awful lot for an injury prone forward on the final year of his contract, even if he does have a lot of grit and poise.

I like Bolland but I was thinking more like a second round pick… and that’s it. You know… help the Blackhawks out by getting them out of cap trouble so they can sign Bickell and a back-up goalie and a couple depth defensemen / forwards… that sort of thing. If they want a big return… well someone may be nuts enough to pay it.

127. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

Marc:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Maybe he’s unflappable.

128. misfit says:

I don’t know. That doesn’t seem like an outrageous return for Bolland IMO. He’s certainly worth more than a 1st rounder, though not one as high as our #7 (keep in mind, the 1st in the Pominville was from a playoff team). Adding a prospect or two isn’t that bad depending on the prospect, of course. Larsson was Minny’s 6th ranked prospect in their midseason rankings on hockeysfuture.com and Hackett was 7. Lander and Musil would be the Oilers’ equivalent. Including Lander would make sense in a deal for a centerman.

2014 1st rounder, Lander, and Musil for Bolland? A little steep, but the possibility of the 1st being much better than the Wild’s 2013 was expected to be at the deadline and maybe you take out Musil.

Does Bolland for Lander and our 1st next year really seem that outlandish to anyone here? For one of the better 3rd line centermen in the league who is still only 27? I’d probably make that deal.

Bolland is an old 27 year old. Beat-up by 5 years of contending hockey doing the tough lifting. Sather moved out these guys also, and replaced them. If he didn’t have the injury history, I would be more interested, but there one will be paying full value for a beat-up hockey player, asking him for another 5 years of heavy lifting.

Ryan Johansen is probably the NEXT David Bolland. Go get him instead. Younger, cheaper, and healthy.

130. Bag of Pucks says:

godot10:
    Bolland is an old 27 year old.Beat-up by 5 years of contending hockey doing the tough lifting.Sather moved out these guys also, and replaced them.If he didn’t have the injury history, I would be more interested, but there one will be paying full value for a beat-up hockey player, asking him for another 5 years of heavy lifting.

Ryan Johansen is probably the NEXT David Bolland.Go get him instead.Younger, cheaper, and healthy.

Bolland seems cut from that Kris Draper, Mike Keane, Darcy Tucker cloth all of whom were productive into their late 20s early 30s?

Bag of Pucks: I think ‘probably’ is the dangerous word there and it’s why you pay what you do for Bolland – proven commodity. Certainly that Stanley Cup winning experience has some value in the room if you’re trying to establish a winning culture.

That’s not the way Pollock and Sather did it. They always brought in younger hungrier and cheaper bottom of the roster players, and coached them up, or after they had been coached up in the AHL.

Bolland is now top end 3rd line centre, and you are going to be paying nearing $4 million dollars for him, and people are whining about playing an upper decile soft minutes second line centre (and healthy and only 23) in Gagner $5 million.

That said. I’d take Bolland as a Chicago salary dump, but I wouldn’t offer much up for him. I’d offer them Tyler Pitlick.

133. striatic says:

justDOit: Maybe he’s coming to Edmonton to be Eakins’ associate?

that’d be awfully fun, but one imagines a disastrous career move for Messier.

134. wheatnoil says:

striatic: that’d be awfully fun, but one imagines a disastrous career move for Messier.

It’d be a worse one for Eakins.

135. Rondo says:

Flames have traded Tanguay and Sarich to Colorado for David Jones and Shane O’Brien.

136. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

deleted comment

137. RexLibris says:

That’s actually a half-decent trade for Feaster. Tanguay for Jones gives up skill but also sends out a problem contract and makes them younger. Provided they don’t try and play him more than 10 minutes a night they should have another depth LW. And replacing Cory Sarich for, well, anything useful is, um, useful.

138. Rondo says:

RexLibris,

Shane O’Brien is not an NHL defenceman

Jones is 28 and played the zoomee for a couple of years–don’t see much value there. And the other guy is a $2M donkey.

140. RexLibris says:

Rondo:
    RexLibris,

Shane O’Brien is not an NHL defenceman

And Cory Sarich is?

Seriously, this is a bag of pucks move, and no offence to Bag Of Pucks.

Sarich was a liability, that the Flames could get him out the door is a bonus. The deal, in and of itself, is a wash with slight advantage to the Flames because it gets Tanguay out as well.

Where this is likely to fall apart is in deployment. If Hartley things, or is told to think, that O’Brien is to anchor the 2nd pairing and that Jones is a 2nd line LW option, then it will look all the more horrible.

But today, I would argue that it is at least a relatively intelligent move, for Flames management.

141. RexLibris says:

Shanahan has also told the Flames that he’d rather work with Bettman than Ken King.

Interesting days down south.

142. Bar_Qu says:

Bag of Pucks: Yeah, probably the wrong choice of word. What I mean is I think he’ll get passed over by a lot of teams because of his size, and will be much better than a good chunk of the players drafted before him.

And Kent Wilson wrote an article demonstrating the difficulty & foolishness of relying on non-quantitative analysis -like ‘character’(without regard for other factors)-to make judgments on anything to do with humans.

I find Strud’s argument unconvincing.

143. RexLibris says:

Judging character is, to me, like the old Sex Panther ads: 60% of the time it works every time.

When a person is proven right in judging the character of someone it establishes a confirmation feedback, wrong judgements are overlooked or swept aside, and the positive returns are the ones measured.

While I like the narrative of drafting character players, one has to also remember that these are 17 year old kids. To me, character has always been something developed, earned even, over time and experience. When I see a 17 year old with a “tonne of character” I have to ask how much of it is earned and how much is empty bravado taken from insignificant areas of life and applied indiscriminately to other aspects.

If I recall correctly, Messier had a tonne of character, which Sather spent a good deal of time coaching out of him before he had won enough to earn it back.

144. zilong says:

wheatnoil: Coburn isn’t a perfect defenseman (as has been mentioned earlier in this thread). His WOWY numbers are somewhat concerning and in 2011/12 there is some evidence he was being held up by Timonen while playing against top pairing minutes. However, at the end of the day, he’s the Flyers top 5×5 defenseman (as per TOI), top PK defenseman (as per TOI), played with the hardest zone starts, and had some bad luck last year (lowest PDO among Defenseman). He would likely be the best Oilers Defenseman if they acquired him and he shoots left to boot.

He might have led in ES TOI, but amongst regular D he was 4th in difficulty of assignments and 6th in Corsi Rel at -7.9.

He’d be behind Petry and Smid on the depth charts, and at $4.5M isn’t exactly a bargain for a 2nd pairing D. Plus his perceived value is higher than it should be (IMO) and would cost more than he’s worth. Pass for me.

I said it before and I’ll say it again. The numbers like Fayne and for some reason NJ doesn’t. He’s at least a reliable 5-6, but looks like he could handle 3-4. He’s cheap and would come cheap.

To move ahead MacT needs to find a couple Steady Steves.