I get the feeling we’re going to be saying things like ‘you just blew my mind’ to the twitter and Mr. Google this weekend. An entire volume of stories will be wrapped up in one weekend sonnet, and brothers and sisters we better be paying attention.
Among the early items that we should keep track of:
- According to James Mirtle, Taylor Hall may be named to the season ending all-star team. That’s huge, massive. A 2nd All-Star team nod for Hall this early in his career would be a monster indicator of his place in the game. Messier got his first LW All-Star nod in 1981-82 (year three, it was a 1st All-Star honor) and the final Oilers All-Star was Messier (1st all-star C) in 1989-90. Should Hall receive this award, it would imo represent a watershed for the new cluster. I’m not a major supporter of NHL awards, but this is one tough damn list to make and has enormous value.
- Ilya Bryzgalov’s agent is trying to get his client a job and has mentioned Edmonton as a possible destination. Bryz was not great in Philly, fabulous in Phoenix and he’s a little long in the tooth now. I think there may be interest from the Oilers, depending on price. I haven’t decided if I like the idea or not–his Flyer EV SP numbers are not good–but if the price point is reasonable and the term is one year then it might work.
- The Lightning are buying out Vincent Lecavalier, and the payout is a monster. Holy hell this is going to be a blood bath for owners, the Di Pietro buyout is going to have everyone agog.
- I wonder if Luongo gets bought out. This could be a wild ride.
A few things about the draft:
- Sounds like MacT is willing to deal down one or two spots in the first round and may deal a second rounder for immediate help.
- The MacT quote about skill, skill, skill is a thing of beauty.
- If they stay at 7, I think they’ll take one of (assuming MacKinnon, Drouin, Jones, Barkov, Monahan and Lindholm are off the list) Horvat, Nichushkin or Nurse. I don’t believe they have Lindholm ahead of Horvat.
I’ll update as I can, but this is going to be a very fluid few days. Hang on to your hat!
LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE
10 this morning, we roll. Scheduled to appear:
- Corey Pronman from Hockey Prospectus. We have one final look at the draft–the top 7, NHL ready–and your questions.
- Terry Jones from the Edmonton Sun. MacT, draft, trades, Vincent, Eskimos. Crazy.
- Kirk Luedeke from Redline Report. Over/underrated and the guys Kirk likes to will cover their draft bet.
- Rob Soria from Oil Drop. We’ll talk reasonable expectations for this weekend.
- Evan Daum from the EJ. Draft, Eskimos.
Looking forward to it, your questions and comments are always the best. @Lowetide_ on twitter, 10-1260 via text or leave your comments/questions here and I’ll pass them along.
It’s here, baby!