LOUD NOISES 1: DALLAS EAKINS NEW OILERS COACH (UNFLAPPABLE)

The Oilers under Craig MacTavish are apparently hellbent on waking the fanbase from the Tambellini coma. In the immortal words of Bob Cole “it’s all happening!” I can’t remember the name of the defenseman he signed an hour ago, but do know Teemu Hartikainen is off to Russia and suspect they’ll announce Katz has purchased Guam by 5pm.

This is a fact: the Oilers off the ice are more interesting than on the ice. I pray Baby Jesus this is the last summer we can make that statement. Press conference at 1:30, then Guam.

112 Responses to "LOUD NOISES 1: DALLAS EAKINS NEW OILERS COACH (UNFLAPPABLE)"

1. Racki says:

I am happy Hartikainen signed in the KHL I really like him and have hopes for him, but i just don’t think he’s NHL ready at all yet. The KHL probably could teach him some bad habits, but maybe it will help him hone his offensive game. JW pointed out he needs waivers to go to the Barons now, so this is best for him. I’d bet it was a mutual decision between he and Oilers. I wonder if he has an out clause.. is that possible for him to get out of a contract mid-season?

2. Jordan says:

BTW – Presser being streamed on the Oilers’ home site.

3. Bar_Qu says:

And then there is this

From what I’ve heard, Teemu may not be the only #Oilers RFA headed overseas. Something to keep a watch on. #OKCBarons— Eric Rodgers (@AHLBarons) June 10, 2013

4. LMHF#1 says:

Sweet. The Mrs. showed up.

5. leadfarmer says:

We should probably stop drafting Fins as they are also flight risks.

Last Saturday, Lowe, Howson MacT met with Eakins for 4 hours. MacT felt during the meeting that his skill set would be better served as head coach.

7. HugThePost says:

Keep going MacT. This is all so long overdue.

8. leadfarmer says:

HugThePost,

Or he wanted a one way contract that MacT was not willing to give him and he didnt want to spend another year in OKC

9. RMGS says:

“Compete” is back, baby!

16s

“If you are playing for the Edmonton Oilers, you are going to compete. That is my commitment to this organization” – Dallas Eakins

11. Hambone678 says:

HugThePost: Hartii is a guy who was well-positioned to be in the nHL next year, being a big body on a team that needs size and someone who would have to be exposed to waivers if sent down again. A guy who all along said he wanted to play in the NHL with his nHL ticket on his lap……and then he bolts.Maybe he just wanted to be closer to home. Maybe after a few years in N. America he decided the North American game/ culture/ whatever was just not for him. But maybe it was the organization. Let’s be honest here: Edmonton is still not a great choice for nhl players. The city is less than stellar in the winter. The unending scrutiny of media and fans. The instability in the organization (5 head coaches in the past 6 seasons). The occasional but undeniable whiff of unhappy players (see: Souray, Belanger, etc). The reputation as a soft, easy team to play against.I applaud MacT for so far staying true to his word about fixing this mess and fast. But…..he is far from being done. His bold moves at coach and perhaps his upcoming player moves might excite people again, but until the team starts to win and show they are a stable, consistent organization, we will forever be stuck in this shitshow groundhog day style.Keep going MacT. This is all so long overdue.

Good stuff. I think the part about Edmonton being a city that isn’t so desirable to live in has been a bit oversold. I haven’t been to Detroit lately but I know it ain’t heaven. The fact is players want to play with good players and have a chance to win, and Edmonton hasn’t been able to boast a winning team for a long time. Cold winters are easier to deal with if you’re winning.

12. LMHF#1 says:

RMGS:
    “Compete” is back, baby!

He used proper grammar though. Huge difference.

Four years. This is a guy they love.

14. Smarmy says:

I think it’s possible Mac-T viewed Harti as one of the guys who at best would be a non-factor. He could cycle the puck and he pretty much had to do that because there was no offense.

15. Jordan says:

Uh oh… looks like we need to be ready for more assessing….

16. zilong says:

Smarmy:

CBA guys, does Edmonton get first crack if Harti wants to come back to the NHL later? How does that work?

17. RMGS says:

Questions many would love Coach Eakins to answer but will not be asked:

“Coach, given that your teams have consistently and considerably outshot opponents, what do you make of underlying hockey stats like Corsi, and how do you use them in your coaching?”

18. Racki says:

zilong: Could be, but then why not try to trade him for something? I’m thinking (hoping) it’s more a case of “we think you need more development and we don’t want to lose you on waivers; go play in Russia and we’ll talk in a year or two.”

1. Push the pace
    2. With the puck challenge the other team
    3. Puck retrieval
    4. Playing defense is an easy commitment

20. RMGS says:

1. Push the pace
    2. With the puck challenge the other team
    3. Puck retrieval
    4. Playing defense is an easy commitment

We know what MacT said, but what’s the new coach saying? :)

Eakins had a very strong media conference. Outstanding.

22. leadfarmer says:

RMGS,

As opposed to the previous moto “Surrender”

23. jzed says:

Eakins in, Hartski out, defenseman he signed…..??

24. jake70 says:

The last comment he said…….buy-in from players re: fitness……..they will eventually buy in…it’s non-negotiable. Now is the time to bring Penner back….Eakins would have him outhustling the young guys.

25. TheOtherJohn says:

just to get a long debate going. Think size and physicality (the non Coke machine variety) is needed to play his system.

26. dessert1111 says:

Did anyone else notice that the jersey MacT gave Eakins was #13? Can this mean that Mike Brown won’t be back? I choose to believe it is so.

27. zilong says:

Racki: Because Hartikainen is an RFA and would still be an RFA when the KHL deal is over, the Oilers should retain his rights.. therefore no loss in that regard.

Thanks, Racki. Seems like a bit of a loophole. Here’s hoping he will develop into something the Oilers want and is willing to come back.

28. theres oil in virginia says:

jake70:

I have to admit, Penner was the first guy I thought of, too. Only I thought, “Does this mean there is no chance they’ll bring in a guy like Penner now?”

29. RMGS says:

Eakins had a very strong media conference. Outstanding.

Indeed, as did Krueger and (naturally) Renney.

I’m a believer, though. Eakins’ teams have almost always had an excellent shot differential: http://oilersnation.com/2013/6/10/what-kind-of-game-have-dallas-eakins-toronto-marlies-played-in-the-ahl.

30. Jordan says:

Eakins had a very strong media conference. Outstanding.

Agreed.

Was also interesting listening to his decision-making when it came to working for the Oilers.

It sure sounds a lot like the whatever the EOOBC is selling, people seem to like it a lot. The whole idea of the Oilers Family was very unexpected, for me. Eakins’ emphasis on family both with the organization, and with his own family and their decisions was also very interesting, and IMO quite commendable.

I think he hit on a lot of the big issues that many of us have brought up over the last few years (compete, forecheck, motivation, peronsality), and it sounds a hell of a lot like the game that I want to be watching.

Tactical Hockey. I REALLY like the sound of that. Especially with the pieces we have.

Considering how quickly the Oilers dumped Kruger to make an upgrade, I can’t help but think that ANYONE is available, if it’s for an upgrade.

Now, I don’t think you can find one for 4, 64 & 93, but… I’m not convinced that 89, 14, & 19 couldn’t be improved upon.

I think this team is going to be very different in a few months, and I expect that while we might be expecting a lot of changes on the front end, the back end might look more different than we expect.

31. OilLeak says:

dessert1111:

Sounds like Mike Brown is going to hit the old waiver wire and possibly the AHL, because the only GM stupid enough to pay(asset) for this player type is gone.

32. RMGS says:

Coach Eakins wants to deploy multiple systems within and between games to avoid other teams pinning down how the Oilers play (I heard an opposing player refer to the Oilers’ system as a ‘turn-over’ system). I don’t know if that’s innovative in today’s NHL, but I like it.

33. spoiler says:

It’s been awhile since I’ve seen it, but that pic looks like Moonrise Kingdom…. Great movie(Wonder how long it will take Edward Norton to figure it out).

Good press conference, although not a lot of surprises. But confidence-building. He thinks well on his feet. Erudite (not that Ralph wasn’t). Biggest surprise might be the any-player-who-says-he-doesn’t-read-the-stories-in-the-paper-is-lying comment. Everyone knows that, but I don’t think it has ever been publicly admitted before. Should be a 3 inch headline across the Globe and Mail tomorrow for Gord’s sake.

34. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility Oilers encouraged Harti to KHL. At best he would be a tweeter this year if not for waiver eligibility.

If deciding KHL is the route forward I would think he’d sign >1 year, though that’s hard to know.

For both parties it makes some sense though. Instead of being PB or risked on waivers, he makes decent money and good ice time. Next year he ideally steps onto the roster as a solid contributor.

35. markasread1199 says:

Listening to the new coach. Say goodbye to the celebratory pizza in the locker room after the game. By first impression, I like it. Excited.

36. G Money says:

With Harti gone (too bad, as much as people dump on him, he had the makings of a potential player), this might mean one R. Jones is back.

Which to be honest is OK by me if he comes reasonably cheaply … for all his faults, I think last season the injury comeback in a short season was a challenge, and I think he makes for a decent 4th-line winger. Unlike Harti, we know he can score a few goals at the NHL level.

37. Bag of Pucks says:

Think Eakins just made MacT’s job easier on the FA front. No way a lazy FA signs here after hearing the new HC’s thoughts on physical fitness!

The non-negotiable comment is interesting and encouraging. Very Hitchcock-like. Easier to say than do with the modern big contract athlete but if he can pull it off, we’re golden.

Shame Ales is changing addresses. Would leave to see Eakin’s approach to laston/firstoff for practice Hemsky.

38. Bank Shot says:

zilong:

Edmonton keeps Hartikainen’s rights. Giordano of the Flames played in Russia for a year after the lockout when there wasn’t a spot for him. It could be good in the long run if Harti continues to develop. The Oilers could get a player that they didn’t have to develop in the NHL.

I don’t really care what Eakins has to say. They all sound good in the opening press conference. Results are the only thing that matters at this point.

39. Bag of Pucks says:

An idea who’s time has come: Ralph Krueger and John Tortorella start a motivational consultancy service called ‘Good Cop/Bad Cop’

40. Jordan says:

Bag of Pucks:

Even if the business was garbage, that would still make for a great Reality TV series for ESPN 2. Anyone interested in working on a pitch?

41. Lois Lowe says:

I liked the presser, but I liked Ralph’s and Renney’s so I am always willing to be sold on a new identity for the club. Eakins sounds pretty forceful and direct, it’ll be interesting to see if he keeps the much much more affable Bucky and Smith. He certainly comes across as capable and committed to the organization.

42. prairieschooner says:

My major concern was the coach’s answer about how to improve the Oilers and he seemed just a little bit too hung up on player fitness as a factor.
    Young AHL guys may need to get to the next level as far as fitness is concerned but I think most NHL players have already learned that lesson

43. Bag of Pucks says:

Jordan: Even if the business was garbage, that would still make for a great Reality TV series for ESPN 2.Anyone interested in working on a pitch?

Judd Apatow said the entire pitch for the 40 year Old Virgin was Steve Carrell giving this line to a bunch of Hollywood producer types. “You know how a woman’s breast feels like a bag of sand?”

With that in mind…

Episode 1 of ‘Good Cop/Bad Cop’
    Motivating Ovechkin

Krueger: Ovie, I’m going to call you Alexander the Great, because you have the ability to do great things.
    Tortorella: I will bust your *&%*#&’ing kneecaps if you float through one more shift!
    Ovechkin checks cellphone.
    Krueger: Some men are born to greatness. You are one of these men Alex….the Great.
    Tortorella: I will *&%*#&’ your *&%*#&’ kneecaps if you float through one more *&%*#&’ shift!!
    Ovechkin twits a tweet to twitter.
    Krueger: Some men have greatness thrust upon them. You are that man. Alexander the Greatest.
    Tortorella: I will *&%*#&’ your *&%*#&’ *&%*#&’ s if you *&%*#&’ through one more *&%*#&’ *&%*#&’!!!
    Ovechkin orders a vodka.

prairieschooner:

He doesn’t know any of the players, he’s just talking in general terms. He’ll probably find that the young guys are ripped and ready, and some of the veterans are too. I don’t think fitness is the Oilers problem, beyond the aging process.

45. RexLibris says:

Fitness is a priority? Uh-oh, looks like Theo Peckham has played his last as an Oiler.

Some rumours out of Philadelphia that the Flyers are offering Couturier or B.Schenn for defensive help right now. Smid?

46. RexLibris says:

Bag of Pucks,

Got ahold of HBO yet? So long as neither Krueger nor Tortorella have to do nude scenes, I think it’d be a hit.

47. Bag of Pucks says:

RexLibris:
    Bag of Pucks,

There goes the season finale…

48. justDOit says:

Bag of Pucks:

I guess that title would play better than Optimist/Assh*le.

49. Marc says:

HugThePost:
    Hartii is a guy who was well-positioned to be in the nHL next year, being a big body on a team that needs size and someone who would have to be exposed to waivers if sent down again.A guy who all along said he wanted to play in the NHL with his nHL ticketon his lap……and then he bolts.

Maybe he just wanted to be closer to home.Maybe after a few years in N. America he decided the North American game/ culture/ whatever was just not for him.But maybe it was the organization.

Let’s be honest here: Edmonton is still not a great choice for nhl players.The city is less than stellar in the winter.The unending scrutiny of media and fans.The instability in the organization (5 head coaches in the past 6 seasons).The occasional but undeniable whiff of unhappy players (see: Souray, Belanger, etc).The reputation as a soft, easy team to play against.

I applaud MacT for so far staying true to his word about fixing this mess and fast.But…..he is far from being done.His bold moves at coach and perhaps his upcoming player moves might excite people again, but until the team starts to win and show they are a stable, consistent organization, we will forever be stuck in this shitshow groundhog day style.

Keep going MacT.This is all so long overdue.

Ufa is a sprawling city of approximately 1M people that is thousands of kilometres from Russia’s more glamorous big cities. Its economy is apparently based on oil refining, chemistry and mechanical engineering. Its average temperature in January and February is -17C.

If Harti left because he doesn’t really like Edmonton as a city then he probably didn’t do his research.

50. Jordan says:

Bag of Pucks,

The best part will be when they all come out of the bathroom after doing a few rows, and Ralph and John trade roles…

JT: You know Ovie, if you would just commit to the back check, your complete game would improve so much….
    RK: I don’t give a **** how great you ****in think that ****ing other ******* Alexander was, you **** ***** ***************. You’re ****ing going to **** ******* ***** ***** him ****** out of **** ****** ****** like a he’s a ***** **** ************* persian ****** *** ***** ********.

51. Bag of Pucks says:

How about the episode where Krueger convinces an impressionable young rookie (name rhymes with Pail) that with the power of positive visualization, he can literally skate through the end boards?

Or the Season 2 cliffhanger when Torts kills Semin and buries him with the Zamboni?

52. prairieschooner says:

LT I don’t think fitness is an issue either my point was that maybe one of the magic bullets that Eakins uses in the AHL will not be effective at the NHL level

53. "Steve Smith" says:

spoiler:

54. Jordan says:

Bag of Pucks,

I can see it now:

JT: Nail. If you don’t ****ing skate right ****ing through the ****ing boards, my friend is gonna **** up your ****ing head right ****ing through it to ****ing show you how the **** you’re going to ****ing do it next ****in time. Got it?
    RK: Just visualize it. Imagine youself skaing so well and so free that you go right through.

(after wathcing him actually succeed in skating through the boards)

JT: Holy ****! I really wanted to see him get plastered, but running face ****ing first into the concrete on the other side of the ****ing boards… God ****ing damn.
    RK: Oh dear. I really didn’t think this through. Good thing he’s got Rexall’s medical care package…

55. B S says:

This is not what I wanted to see or hear. Eakins hasn’t said anything different from any other coach (fitness= Krueger’s high tempo practices; “Hard to play against” is exactly what Renney and Krueger were saying). He sounds exactly like what MacT would want in a coach; lest we forget, MacT never coached the kind of talent this team had, he spent most of his coaching career dealing with budget players and implementing trap and grind systems to eke out wins.

Krueger seemed to realize (though we’ll never know if he could implement it) that the only way to make the skill on this team shine was to play the game at a higher pace than the grinders and grabbers could keep up to (quick transitions, split second decisions with the puck, all without missing a stride).

Maybe Eakins can get this team moving, and winning, and if he does I’ll be happy, but I won’t believe it until I see it. To date nothing about him has told me that he is an upgrade at this position.

56. Kris11 says:

Did anyone else have the bejeesus scared out of them by the look on Eakins’ face?

Guy could put a whole through concrete just by glaring at it.

57. Kris11 says:

He says he reads everything. Do you think he’ll read the blogs?

He also said hat he hates LT’s radio show. :)

Kris11:
    He says he reads everything. Do you think he’ll read the blogs?

He also said hat he hates LT’s radio show. :)

Who doesn’t?

“Steve Smith”: Fantastic movie, although the part where the twelve year olds were feeling each other up was a little awkward.

Tremendous movie. My daughter insisted on it, and I was a little hesitant after watching some of the bizarre things she’s suggested in the past (one of them was about this guy who kept passing out–on the highway, everywhere–plus he was a prostitute!) so this little movie was an absolute gift.

60. Jordan says:

Hans Moleman doesn’t.

61. "Steve Smith" says:

Jordan,

I initially thought he did, but it turned out that he was saying “Boo-urns”.

62. bookje says:

Sure , ‘compeate’ is back, but how far will that get the team without poise?

bookje:
    Sure , ‘compeate’is back, but how far will that get the team without poise?

You get poise by taking Pete and adding compeate and repeat.

64. gcw_rocks says:

Talking to some Leafs fans here in Toronto and it seems Caryle is crazy on the fitness thing. Dallas likely drunk the kool-aid. Let’s hope his team has a better shot sifferential than Caryle’s did this season.

65. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

bookje,

Poise is so last week. MacT has hired the guy who teaches Unflappable.

@mc79hockey: Somewhere, Tambo is watching this muttering about how unflappable’s just another word for poise

66. bookje says:

Lowetide: I don’t think fitness is the Oilers problem, beyond the aging process.

The same cannot be said of Oiler fans.

67. Kris11 says:

I like your radio show, LT.

But I also like Project Runway, so what does that say?

Kris11:
    I like your radio show, LT.

But I also like Project Runway, so what does that say?

You enjoy a wide variety of programming.

69. gcw_rocks says:

Last summer I would have been ok with this hire. Not real great proven options out there. This year there is Vinneault, Ruff, Torts, with Bylsma and McLellan as other possibles.

I don’t think the Oilers are in a place to gamble right now, and this hire is a HUGE gamble. I hope it works, but if it blows up in MacT’s face I won’t be surprised for a second. Because Oilers.

70. Kris11 says:

I think ot says that you are Tim Gunn.

71. RickDeckard says:

dessert1111,

Probably just a spare jersey they have lying around because of the draft in 20 days.

72. Gerta Rauss says:

The jersey with the 13 on the back may represent 2013…no..?

I guess it could mean how many more coaches this is going to take before we turn this ship around.

73. cabbiesmacker says:

gcw_rocks:
    .Let’s hope his team has a better shot sifferential than Caryle’s did this season.

I like “sifferential” very much. So wrong and yet so right.

Is that when your shot differential is so bad it’s itchy and painful?

74. Cameron says:

I believe the movie she made you watch previously was ‘My Own Private Idaho’.

And for the record, I think going just from her two suggestions to you she has good taste in flicks (though not as good as ‘RickDeckard’)

75. Ribs says:

RickDeckard:
    dessert1111,

Don’t need that jersey any more. MacTavish has trade lined up for the 7th pick.

76. murphy says:

RexLibris,

Philly wants yandle, coyotes will want a center with more off upside than couturier, oilers want and need exactly what couturier brings. Why can’t we all be happy and do a three way and send gagner to phoenix, yandle to philly, and couturier to edmonton, add extra assets to the deal if need be but that would be the centerpiece. Would help all three teams out.

77. justDOit says:

murphy,

You would think that it should be easy to orchestrate a three way, but that’s not been my experience.

78. Gerta Rauss says:

Eakins 1 on 1 via Oilers website

Coaching in Toronto, you always heard about the Oiler organization and that they were thick as thieves,a very tight ,family, group. And after sitting down with Craig, Kevin and Scott Howson, I learned that very quickly that it was true.

I give it a week before there is a youtube spoof with Kevin Lowe starring as Don Corleone with Eakins as Michael.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

79. murphy says:

justDOit,

It’s never easy but it’s always worthwhile, just from my experience! Of course i’ve only ever done so when dealing with the equivalent of “4th liners or end of the roster d-men”, if you know what i mean…..

Cameron:

I believe the movie she made you watch previously was ‘My Own Private Idaho’.

Yes, that was the one. I’ve always wondered who picked him up at the end when he was in the middle of the road. So many weirdo’s in that movie it’s always worried me.

81. justDOit says:

Gerta Rauss,

I was thinking of Lowe as more of a Tony Soprano than Corleone. Insecure and prone to fits of rage.

82. Kris11 says:

Ribs,

It would be funny if they didn’t have a sweater to give the kid they pick at 7, but rather had to write “Oilers” on the front and “13″ on the back of a white T shirt.

83. prairieschooner says:

On the Leafs HF board they have a poll

“Would you trade Gardner for the # 7 pick”

70% said no

Would we do that deal?

84. striatic says:

prairieschooner: Would we do that deal?

they are overvaluing the player.

85. gcw_rocks says:

cabbiesmacker,

Sigh, that’s what happens when you comment via blackberry.

86. Gordies Elbow says:

prairieschooner:
    On the Leafs HF boardthey have a poll

“Would you trade Gardner forthe # 7 pick”

70% said no

Would we do that deal?

I wouldn’t. I’d rather have Lindholm, Nurse, Nichushkin, or Monahan, cap controlled for 3 years, than Gardiner at this point in his career.

I’d move the pick, but not for Gardiner. Let someone else #FreeJakeGardiner.

87. DeadmanWaking says:

I always liked MacT . The one thing I’ve complained about was his willingness to demand 110% until the day comes when they show for a home game with nothing but concrete for legs, at which point TJ thrashes everyone on the team for not giving a damn and bags are handed around. This was the one thing I liked most about Krueger over MacT, that he coached to have something left in the tank for the long haul. First thing MacT does is hires a coach more like himself. By the time I read my fifth “whipping boy” story next season (TJ seems to have these stacked under his bed) about the team not showing up for a home game (more because they’ve got nothing left than because they don’t care) I’m going to rue both this management change and this coaching change. Our problem was lack of fitness? Really? That’s news to me. The comment I liked from Eakins was about mixing the system up.

Krueger emphasized proper recovery. Everything I’ve read lately about fitness emphasizes recovery: fitness as a balance of anabolic and catabolic processes. Of course, over-training effects don’t show up in the data if you drive all the athletes to guzzle PEDs in their own self-defense. The better the athlete becomes, the thinner the margin for over-training effects. Maybe for a young guy it takes a season or three. Back when MacT played, the Oilers had ways of coasting through easy victories that are no longer available. The regular season is now more like 82 games against the Islanders than the grind he remembers.

The SR-71 is dead. Long live Aurora.

Well I just finished tomorrow morning’s blog, and now I read it in the last 20 posts. you’re all JERKS!!!!! :-)

89. bill needle says:

LT, the hockey historian in you should go back in the archives and look at all the coaches Bob Pulford (the 1970s and 80s version of Kevin Lowe) hired and fired before stumbling on the one that got the franchise back to competing when Denis Savard and Behn Wilson showed up. How many did they have to go through after sending Billy Reay out the door and before Orval Tessier showed up? And then how many did they go through after he talked about heart transplants until they settled on Joel Quenneville, who finally got them the Cup. That’s the kind of cycle the Oilers appear to be on. It’d be great if Eakins was the Eanswer, but like most Oilers decisions since 1990, I have my doubts.

I can say with autority that Eakins and Orval Tessier are worlds apart as coaches, but do think a Behn Wilson wouldn’t go amiss around these parts.

91. bookje says:

People keep slamming the Oilers for having an unstable coaching situation. That’s crazy, how many other teams have the same set of assistant coaches under five different coaches? THAT’S incredibly stable!

92. regwald says:

bookje:
    People keep slamming the Oilers for having an unstable coaching situation.That’s crazy, how many other teams have the same set of assistant coaches under five different coaches?THAT’S incredibly stable!

are you saying that Smith and Bucky are spies for management? LOL

93. jfry says:

so, with harti pulling his giordano year abroad, i thiought it might be interesting to revisit the list. looks like we’re replacing one from category 3 (unproven).

sure thing (we know what the player can accomplish day in and day out, for the most part and can put them in positions to suceed at that role – play at least two disciplines regularly):
    - hall
    - gagner
    - eberle
    - gordon
    - hemsky
    - horcoff

looking good (player doesn’t have a proven record in the NHL yet (the kids without games played yet) or doesn’t project above 2nd-3rd line tweener role long term (Salieri))
    - nuge
    - yakcity
    - sabotka
    - stalberg

speculative/unproven (no sustained success at the NHL level in the role we imagine for him on the big club, or guys running out of legs (Smyth)):
    - mps
    - lander
    - smyth
    - brown
    - harti

i think we’ll see the big decisions come in that third cropping of people (speculative/unproven). lander’s easy to start in the minors. but this summer will be a tell on where MacT slots MPS, Brown and Smyth — i think a “bold GM” considers getting rid of all three and looking for better depth options (and i really like MPS). To my mind, Stalberg would replace Harti on a team looking to increase talent at EVs and PP, at more money, but he’s no hemsky. i think they look to replace hemsky for a horton or the ilk (a brand name). if you can replace horcoff on the third with gordon, you’re ahead in cap if nothing else.

Jfry: I don’t think you can call MPS a “depth” option and then say you really like him. Doesn’t compute.

95. BlacqueJacque says:

I just got the press conference to load. Couple of notes:

1. MacT has cashed in a lot of his GM teflon on this hire. Between the self-admitted unfair Krueger firing, and the spit-shined, gold-plated endorsement of Eakins, he’s put a lot of his reputation on the line. He won’t have 5 or 6 coaches on his kill list even with full Katz support here. He may get only 3 or 4. If he wasn’t buddy-buddy with Lowe and Katz, he’d get as few as 2.
    2. I think Yakupov is going to love Eakins. Between the kid’s natural drive and determination to stay after practice and keep working and Eakins emphasis on extra effort and fitness, I think they’ll gel well. Hemsky is probably glad to be gone, and Peckham may end up crying blood if he somehow manages to get another chance. Eakins may be just what the doctor ordered for Gagner/Yakupov and their defensive play.
    3. Camp internet sucks. Over an hour to load the video.
    4. I don’t expect the early part of the season to go very well at all. If he’s as insistent on fitness as he says he is, players are going to be *tired*. Nuge will have a rough go of it since he’s coming off injury, and I think Eberle and Magnus too, since they never struck me as guys with particularly good endurance.
    5. Unflappable is the new poise.
    6. I’m disappointed nobody in the media asked if he would have been prepared to accept an associate coach position, but it’s not like Oilers media is known for its courage.
    7. Anyone impressed by Kevin Lowe’s thoughts on hockey gives me pause. After all, Lowe tried to hire Messier as head coach.
    8. WTF with introducing the wife of the coach? Really?

All in all, I’m generally impressed, but I’m worried the Oilers just fell in love with the latest shiny new toy on the market. There was an Eakins last year in Jon Cooper and there will be another next year in someone else. There’s almost always some wundercoach coming up from the minors or the assistant way, the way that there’s almost always a superstar coming up through the draft. Todd Nelson may be on the radar in a season or two, for example. I think it was bad karma to dump Krueger like that, but I’m superstitious that way.

BlacqueJacque: WHEn are you getting out of hell? Holy man, it’s like you’re in 1960.

97. Captain Happy says:

BlacqueJacque:
    I just got the press conference to load.Couple of notes:

1.MacT has cashed in a lot of his GM teflon on this hire.Between the self-admitted unfair Krueger firing, and the spit-shined, gold-plated endorsement of Eakins, he’s put a lot of his reputation on the line.He won’t have 5 or 6 coaches on his kill list even with full Katz support here.He may get only 3 or 4.If he wasn’t buddy-buddy with Lowe and Katz, he’d get as few as 2.
    2.I think Yakupov is going to love Eakins.Between the kid’s natural drive and determination to stay after practice and keep working and Eakins emphasis on extra effort and fitness, I think they’ll gel well.Hemsky is probably glad to be gone, and Peckham may end up crying blood if he somehow manages to get another chance.Eakins may be just what the doctor ordered for Gagner/Yakupov and their defensive play.
    3.Camp internet sucks.Over an hour to load the video.
    4.I don’t expect the early part of the season to go very well at all.If he’s as insistent on fitness as he says he is, players are going to be *tired*.Nuge will have a rough go of it since he’s coming off injury, and I think Eberle and Magnus too, since they never struck me as guys with particularly good endurance.
    5.Unflappable is the new poise.
    6.I’m disappointed nobody in the media asked if he would have been prepared to accept an associate coach position, but it’s not like Oilers media is known for its courage.
    7.Anyone impressed by Kevin Lowe’s thoughts on hockey gives me pause.After all, Lowe tried to hire Messier as head coach.
    8.WTF with introducing the wife of the coach?Really?

All in all, I’m generally impressed, but I’m worried the Oilers just fell in love with the latest shiny new toy on the market.There was an Eakins last year in Jon Cooper and there will be another next year in someone else.There’s almost always some wundercoach coming up from the minors or the assistant way, the way that there’s almost always a superstar coming up through the draft.Todd Nelson may be on the radar in a season or two, for example.I think it was bad karma to dump Krueger like that, but I’m superstitious that way.

Exactly.

It wasn’t all that long ago that Guy Boucher was the Great White Hope.

98. jfry says:

how i feel and how he’s ejudicated by the franchise is wildly different. and by depth i meant 3rd or 4th lines.

i think MPS is a strong candidate to groom for a solid career as a very good 3rd line player with some upside (dvorak) and that he’s an NHL player finally. I think we all enjoyed watching him “get it” this year.

it’ll be curious to see how eakins reacts to the AHL players. He must know a bit about the Barons. Would love to hear his thoughts on Rajal and Marincin.

99. BlacqueJacque says:

Wednesday night if this bad weather continues. I told the boss I’m booking Thursday off. If it warms up, which the forecast says “keep dreaming”, I’ll stay for Thursday. Bonding and grounding a substation in the rain sucks. I’m starting to realize why trench foot is a thing. Christ…

There are aspects of substation construction I really like (don’t need to shave, don’t have to worry about a piss test every time you get a hang nail, no nasty oil sands smells), and things I really, really hate. Like kneeling in the ground on crush rock/gravel mix for 5 days grounding fences and posts and lightning arresters and A-frames and H-frames – being a bigger guy, it’s hard on the knees. I thought I was done with trenching in mud when I said “adios, residential construction!”

Kinda wish I was in 1960. A man could comfortably support a family with a regular 35- or 40-hour per week job and your only fear was that the Russians or Americans would get stupid and start a nuclear war. Not that we were overheating the globe, melting the arctic ice in the summer and turning Alberta in June into Vancouver Island in November whilst simultaneously making the internet into a turnkey tyranny and solving an economic crisis created by Wall Street gamblers by throwing a trillion dollars at the Wall Street gamblers. I swear, life was simpler before I was born. :)

Anyway, to get back on topic… having re-watched the conference again, Eakins way of talking and mannerisms kinda remind me of MacT. Even fewer smiles, if that’s possible, and just a bland, unexcited and unexcitable way of talking about things. I doubt Eakins would even give Harvey the Hound a raised eyebrow.

You journalists, especially the ones on TV, are really going to miss Krueger, IMO.

I wonder if Mac would have fired Renney. I think not. They’re also kind of similar, though Renney has more passion than Mac and definitely more than Eakins.

BlacqueJacque: Agreed on MacT/Renney. The Renney Oilers were miles better than the Quinn and Krueger editions.

Eakins was on with Stauffer after the presser.

He mentioned that football players are expected to learn large binders full of plays.

He then related that he couldn’t believe that in the NHL some teams run the same fore-check, defensive zone coverage etc. for every game for every opponent.

He said he will have multiple systems for all 3 zones and change them up as he sees fit.

He mentioned that with advanced scouting being so heavy that you need to have the ability to surprise your opponent and take advantage of the situation.

Music to my ears.

102. BlacqueJacque says:

God, that just pisses me off even more. Nothing you said, just thinking about how badly Tambellini screwed this team, and by proxy, Lowe did too. And it’s funny, because until this week, I thought Tambellini was just a bumbling, grinning idiot of a puppet for Lowe who did his job by taking the heat for the rebuild. I was upset that Renney didn’t get extended but I got really choked when Krueger got shafted…

I know I hated on Mac for years (didn’t like the MacBlender, still don’t, and I still think there were better options than Toby Peterson, but I admit that it was a good way to show the NHL world what an incompetent roster and inadequate replacements Lowe gave him), but I think he’d have made for a much better GM for a guy like Renney – who has a similar style and mindset. That’s sort of why, despite being pissed that yet again the Oilers are acting like a bush league team w.r.t. the Krueger firing, I’m pretty accepting of Eakins. MacT has found MacT jr. and knows how to build a team for him. Because for all my criticisms of Mac, I have to admit he knew how to motivate and coach a guy like Hemsky.

103. BlacqueJacque says:

Woodguy,

Good stuff. That’s one area where Krueger failed to intervene for a while. You pretty much knew what the Oilers were going to throw at you from games 6-20. Skate across the blue line and lose the puck, or get deep into the zone and make too many passes and lose the puck. i still think that was a deliberate part of the learning experience for the kids, and with a training camp and a full season we’d have had a different end result but c’est la vie.

104. jfry says:

Woodguy,

Sounds like Mact in the cup run. Different system for every team

jfry:
    Woodguy,

Sounds like Mact in the cup run. Different system for every team

Those were the days. Our guy was using ALL of the options available. How much did Laraque play again? :-)

106. bookje says:

Woodguy:

Somewhere there is a balance between giving the players leeway to improvise and giving them a playbook to memorize. I worry a bit about the new rookie coach overdoing the playbook side of things.

107. Rebilled says:

I have a feeling that we won’t see any HUGE BAR TABS IN CALGARY under Eakins.

Those caps lock were unintentional but maybe warranted since the majority of shots on the bill were blowjobs. Must have been Ethan who was the girl drink drunk.

108. Bank Shot says:

Woodguy:
    Eakins was on with Stauffer after the presser.

Music to my ears.

The Oilers players couldn’t even get simple systems right. Perhaps running multiple systems for different opponents will work, or perhaps it’ll be chaos.

Guess we wait and see.

109. FastOil says:

Woodguy: Fast

Awesome. I have often wondered why teams don’t run at least two systems to counter opponents. Two PP, PK, forecheck, breakout.

Much easier to win if you can with practice change things up on a break.

bookje: Yes, so its important to allow a level of improvisation in the game play, otherwise you end up with the predictability that sunk MacT’s power plays.

Seeing the Bruins execute their systems to a T and knowing the talent the Oilers have makes me fairly confident this is a big, big plus.

111. russ99 says:

Guys, Renney was not a good coach for us. Krueger was much better.

You know remember that strict adherence to the system that didn’t work, ruining various prospects and lack of adjustment to the point where the players gave up, and IMO Hall questioning his poor decisions that led him to getting fired.