I like Bryan Murray, as much as I know about him anyway. He seems like a good and decent sort and teams seem to win things when he’s around (or shortly after he leaves). For Oiler fans, Murray is often the guy left wondering as things go completely off the rails. The Comrie trade, the Heatley trade, Bryan Murray and Edmonton are kind of an odd couple.
Earlier today, an hfboards rumor involving the Oilers (I think this is the thread) named Ales Hemsky and Zack Smith as trade items in an Oiler-Senator deal. Now, the deal may be one for one, but one would hope there’s more coming Edmonton’s way (Hemsky may have injury problems and is coming off a couple of subpar years but he can help a team’s offense) and of course it’s possible Edmonton is giving up too much.
I used to be a mod at hf, and can tell you that back then mods were absolutely told that statements like ‘mark my words’ had to have some kind of backup before they were allowed to stay. I expect the rules are even stronger now, so the fact that Bryanbryoil let it stand suggests there’s something here.
It doesn’t mean that a trade will happen involving Smith-Hemsky but it does suggest business is being done and that a trade could break at basically any time. The Leafs and Kings proved that this morning.
Travis Yost is a solid blogger who offers insight on the trade here and Tyler Dellow’s twitter has some interesting things on it–plus his big data series has been tracking Hemsky (and Sam Gagner) like Jason Bourne tracked Pamela Landy.
- Sign Sam Gagner to a multi-year deal that has begins with a number in the 4′s.
- Get Paajarvi signed and then find a role that suits him (suspect it’s 3line).
Deal Hemsky for immediate help (even if its a checker).
- Deal Horcoff or slot him into the 3line job for which he is actually ideal.
- Find a 2line L who can complement Gagner-Yakupov with puck retrieval, blocking out the sun, etc)
Find a 3line C and L to play with Paajarvi
- Find a 4line C to play with Smyth/Brown
- Decide on Lander/Belanger or other for 13F (or 14F if they go with 7D).
- Top 4 defender (a genuinely effective one, no ‘almosts or sortas’)
- Better blue depth (MacT has done this with Belov, plus Klefbom/Fedun/Marincin)
- Backup goalie
- AHL #1/NHL #3 goalie
- Sign Paul Ranger
It would solve items 3 and 6. I do like the Zack Smith player card, although it would help if he could bring a little more offense. And speaking of a little more, I do think it’s fair to wonder if Edmonton should get a pick (or something) to make it even. Overall, I’m happy if Hemsky goes to a team I can cheer for (Ottawa) and that MacT probably knows Smith can fill the role required.
Another rumor popped up as I’m writing this:
There are 10 miles of Leafs players I’d love to see in Edmonton, including but not limited to Jake Gardiner, Carl Gunnarsson and Nazem Kadri. I don’t know that the Oilers plan on dealing Samwise but there seems to be some smoke from the Big Smoke.