LOUD NOISES 3: TRADING WITH BRYAN MURRAY

I like Bryan Murray, as much as I know about him anyway. He seems like a good and decent sort and teams seem to win things when he’s around (or shortly after he leaves). For Oiler fans, Murray is often the guy left wondering as things go completely off the rails. The Comrie trade, the Heatley trade, Bryan Murray and Edmonton are kind of an odd couple.

odd couple

Earlier today, an hfboards rumor involving the Oilers (I think this is the thread) named Ales Hemsky and Zack Smith as trade items in an Oiler-Senator deal. Now, the deal may be one for one, but one would hope there’s more coming Edmonton’s way (Hemsky may have injury problems and is coming off a couple of subpar years but he can help a team’s offense) and of course it’s possible Edmonton is giving up too much.

I used to be a mod at hf, and can tell you that back then mods were absolutely told that statements like ‘mark my words’ had to have some kind of backup before they were allowed to stay. I expect the rules are even stronger now, so the fact that Bryanbryoil let it stand suggests there’s something here.

It doesn’t mean that a trade will happen involving Smith-Hemsky but it does suggest business is being done and that a trade could break at basically any time. The Leafs and Kings proved that this morning.

Travis Yost is a solid blogger who offers insight on the trade here and Tyler Dellow’s twitter has some interesting things on it–plus his big data series has been tracking Hemsky (and Sam Gagner) like Jason Bourne tracked Pamela Landy.

MY THOUGHTS

1. Sign Sam Gagner to a multi-year deal that has begins with a number in the 4′s.
  2. Get Paajarvi signed and then find a role that suits him (suspect it’s 3line).
  3. Deal Hemsky for immediate help (even if its a checker).
  4. Deal Horcoff or slot him into the 3line job for which he is actually ideal.
  5. Find a 2line L who can complement Gagner-Yakupov with puck retrieval, blocking out the sun, etc)
  6. Find a 3line C and L to play with Paajarvi
  7. Find a 4line C to play with Smyth/Brown
  8. Decide on Lander/Belanger or other for 13F (or 14F if they go with 7D).
  9. Top 4 defender (a genuinely effective one, no ‘almosts or sortas’)
  10. Better blue depth (MacT has done this with Belov, plus Klefbom/Fedun/Marincin)
  11. Backup goalie
  12. AHL #1/NHL #3 goalie
  13. Sign Paul Ranger

It would solve items 3 and 6. I do like the Zack Smith player card, although it would help if he could bring a little more offense. And speaking of a little more, I do think it’s fair to wonder if Edmonton should get a pick (or something) to make it even. Overall, I’m happy if Hemsky goes to a team I can cheer for (Ottawa) and that MacT probably knows Smith can fill the role required.

Another rumor popped up as I’m writing this:

rimer

There are 10 miles of Leafs players I’d love to see in Edmonton, including but not limited to Jake Gardiner, Carl Gunnarsson and Nazem Kadri. I don’t know that the Oilers plan on dealing Samwise but there seems to be some smoke from the Big Smoke.

104 Responses to "LOUD NOISES 3: TRADING WITH BRYAN MURRAY"

1. bookje says:

How about this, Gardiner to Edmonton, Ford to Edmonton, and 6 months of Mandel to Toronto.

I still think its a trade we lose in the short term, but come hockey season, we would be much better off.

2. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

LT would you expect a second or a first coming back in that Hemsky deal?

My initial reaction was there has to be more!

As for Gagner, I would like a Gardiner, but as with the Hemsky deal, I’m looking at that thinking, there’s more right?

OTT first
    TOR first
    I would be happy with that.

3. Rondo says:

Kulemin would be good.

Wes: Hard to know. I’d think a 2nd would be about right, but then again two years ago at the deadline the rumor had Hemsky going to NAS for a 2nd and a 3rd.

5. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

Jebus, that’s a little weak, considering Hemsky potential.

I guess MacTavish is in tough, to me it won’t be enough.

I might bitch and moan for a couple days after.

6. jonrmcleod says:

I think if a deal involving Gagner and Gardiner is being discussed, Gagner has more perceived value than Gardiner. I would think that the Leafs would add a player/pick.

I would be reluctant to trade Gagner, though. He’s an important piece on the second line.

7. Hall Awaits says:

Gardiner and Kulemin would have to be part of that deal for me. Sure hope it’s not Dion they are thinking about.

8. speeds says:

1 year of Gagner for 4 years of Gardiner. Unless you can get Gagner signed to a pretty good deal now, it would be tough for EDM to turn that sort of deal down

speeds:
    1 year of Gagner for 4 years of Gardiner.Unless you can get Gagner signed to a pretty good deal now, it would be tough for EDM to turn that sort of deal down

10. jonrmcleod says:

speeds,

The Leafs just traded for an RFA goalie.

11. prairieschooner says:

The Leafs may be better suited to handle Gagners’ defensive frailties.
    The leaks presumably are coming from the other teams involved given the Oiler are pretty good about keeping secrets.

12. Captain Happy says:

Lombardi has been busy.

Jon Rosen ‏@lakingsinsider 1h

Kings, Holloway “still plugging away” towards reaching agreement on a contract, per DL.

Helene Elliott ‏@helenenothelen 1h

lombardi said he had a feeling-out talk with penner’s agent.

13. speeds says:

Lowetide: And that’s part of it, too. If Gagner’s agent is pushing for a high number, then the Oilers are in a corner. Thanks Mr. Tambellini!

I must have been thinking of someone else, I just looked up Gardiner and it’s actually 5 years until he’s a UFA, not 4.

I really like Gagner but unless you can get him signed longer term (and not just to any kind of contract, but a pretty attractive deal), I think you have to make that trade. I’m less sure if/why TOR would offer it, but who knows, maybe Gagner would sign a more friendly deal in TOR than he would in EDM?

14. Captain Happy says:

jonrmcleod:
    speeds,

The Leafs just traded for an RFA goalie.

They already spoken to his agent and a contract is forthcoming.

15. Dead Oiler walking says:

We need a centre to replace Gagner so this could become an alliteraion trade:

Gardiner or Gunnerson + Grabovski for Gagner + garbage.

For instance, I know that Belanger isn’t garbage he’s a triangle but I took alliterary licence.

16. DBO says:

Dead Oiler walking:
    We need a centre to replace Gagner so this could become an alliteraion trade:

Gardiner or Gunnerson + Grabovski for Gagner + garbage.

For instance, I know that Belanger isn’tgarbage he’s a triangle but I took alliterary licence.

Was thinking the same thing. not a huge Grabovski fan at his contract, but if he is Gagner comparable, and we also get one of Gunnarson or Gardiner then it’s a win for the Oil even with that contract coming back. Add the Smith and pick for Hemsky deal and MacT would go a long way to both changing the roster, and filling some holes before free agency hits.

17. OilClog says:

Reimer, Grabovski, Gardiner

Gagner, Schultz Sr, Belanger

18. gr8one says:

This is a fantastic write up about a possible Hemsky/Smith trade, sums up pretty much exactly what I feel about the trade. If it happens I’d hope we get something else thrown into the deal..even if it’s a mid round pick.

Oh yeah…I know it’s from “HockeyBuzz” but don’t let that dissuade you, there are a few diamonds that write there, and Travis Yost is top notch IMHO.

As far as Gagner to to Toronto goes I actually don’t hate the idea depending on who is coming back, and I actually like the idea of acquiring Phaneuf, he’s exactly the kind of D man the Oilers need, a big bodied, bona-fide multi-tool defenseman, with great offense, can hit and has a mean streak. and apparently his attitude issues are a thing of the past.

I’ve also heard Colborne’s name being thrown around and that intrigues me a lot.

Would Gagner/N.Schultz be enough to get Phaneuf/Colborne or would we have to add more?

Of course that would open a up a massive 2nd line C hole that MacT would have to address but if he could, a top 6 D of Phaneuf/Petry, Smid/J.Schultz looks pretty good to me.

do people read my blog posts? I’m asking a serious question.

20. Gerta Rauss says:

I read it, but appear to be in the minority..:)

21. striatic says:

do people read my blog posts? I’m asking a serious question.

you mean before commenting? : ]

yes, i’d say 90% of the time.

22. DBO says:

Would that be enough?

MPS-Hall-Eberle
    Kulemin-Nuge-Yak

Is that an upgrade when you add in a top 4 dman in Gardiner?

23. justDOit says:

do people read my blog posts? I’m asking a serious question.

100% – and on the rare occasion I slum it at ON, yours are first choice.

24. dawgtoy says:

I read the blogs religiously LT and you have one of the best comment sections on the web, though I tend to be more of a lurker. Essential reading IMO.

25. striatic says:

i think LA absolutely robbed the Leafs on that trade, and one wonders who will replace Frattin’s minutes in TOR.

EDM has some RW who could take his place.

the timing of the trade is interesting too, and might lead up to a secondary trade to fill that RW slot once the SCF are over.

26. DBO says:

LT: loyal reader of yours, both here and at ON. You are first read, then I filter through some others. Comments section here is the best on the web, so only comment here.

27. striatic says:

DBO: So anyone think hall at centre changes the gagner demands? If he wants too much money, would they slide Hall over to Centre? Maybe you deal him to Toronto for Kulemin and Gardiner or even a signed Phaneuf.

at this point i don’t think Hall gets moved to C.

MPS is not a first line LW, nor is Kulemin, so moving Hall to C doesn’t accomplish much other than putting Magnus in a bad position.

28. Gerta Rauss says:

I’m going to go out on a limb and suggest that LT was alluding to the Yost link in the comment section, when LT linked that same piece in his original post.

29. Bails14 says:

If Toronto is looking for a RW to replace Frattin’s minutes, one hopes MacT can start a bidding war with Hemsky between the two Ontario rivals.

30. TheOtherJohn says:

LT

Always read your posts. Have no difficulty moving Samwise if we get value back. Gardiner or Morgan Reilly are nice players. Will be hilarious for us when they send him out for defensive face-offs

Am astonished that more here are not up in arms that Klefbom was left off the invite list for the Swedish Olympic team for Sochi. Do the Swedish coaches not know Klefbom:

1) is just like his defense partner J Brodin (who was invited) ; and
    2) was great after MacT only saw him play or 5 minutes.

Zack Smith would be better than most of the dreck in our bottom 6

31. DBO says:

If we trade for Smith and sign Gordon, are we set at centre for next 4 years? Gordon at around $2 mill per, and if they get Gagner for around $5 mill, we will have around $14 mill at our 4 centre spots (with Nuge around $6 mill next year). Still $4 mill less then the top 2 in Pittsburgh.

If you did get Smith, Gordon and the two Oil kids under contract long term, we would have a stability at centre we have not had in years. And i think $14 mill at the centre position is solid cap management.

32. DBO says:

Terry Jones ‏@sunterryjones 2m
    Edmonton Oiler GM Craig MacTavish to meet with media Tuesday. Let the speculation begin. Horcoff deal done? Hemsky? Draft update?

Man I want the Cup over with so we can get to the fun!!!

33. wheatnoil says:

DBO:
    Terry Jones ‏@sunterryjones 2m

I’m guessing announcing the associate coach +/- assistants.

34. striatic says:

DBO: If we trade for Smith and sign Gordon, are we set at centre for next 4 years?

no, if only because i don’t think Gagner signs for 4 years as an RFA.

35. wheatnoil says:

do people read my blog posts? I’m asking a serious question.

I just heard that Josh Rimer has the Maple Leafs looking into Sam Gagner! Link is below!

Hearing Leafs have had discussions with Oilers about Sam Gagner. Leafs are looking for a young centre and he certainly fits the bill.— Josh Rimer (@JoshRimerHockey) June 23, 2013

Seriously though, Josh Rimer also reports that the Canucks have asked about Gagner based on Gagner’s dad working for Canucks management. Hard to know if this is actually based on truth or an educated guess based on need in the case of Toronto and happenstance in the case of Vancouver.

36. DBO says:

striatic,

i expect he’d sign for 6. but i doubt they go more then 4 for Gordon, and Smith has 4 left. that’s where that # came from

If Gagner was traded to Vancouver, would DSF fail in a forest?

38. Rondo says:

I could see Hemsky in Boston , he did play with David Krejci during the lockout.

39. prairieschooner says:

This is the only blog I read.
    I feel that I can find out everything I need to and be thoroughly entertained with the humour and Movie references as well as the gratuitous pictures of Dianne Lane and the chick from Oklahoma.
    I realize the question was about something else but I just wanted to chip in anyway

40. Bar_Qu says:

If Gagner was traded to Vancouver, would DSF fail in a forest?

There would be an anonymous virus hitting your archives selectively wiping all references to “Sam Gagner” and “Kyle Wellwood”.

I really think the Oil would be asking for something more to come with Hemsky if they traded for Smith. Although they might need to keep some salary to get it up to a 2nd.

41. hags9k says:

LT,

Always read the posts in full, always gawk at the lovelies, usually follow links to the math or articles, but rarely play the music. I am making an effort to play the tunes now at the start. I’ve been missing out and I’m ashamed to be admitting this.

42. gr8one says:

do people read my blog posts? I’m asking a serious question.

lol, whoops.

gr8one: lol, whoops.

No worries, I was just teasing.

44. OilClog says:

Oh Ranford you were my favorite.. Every kid on the block was Ranford in net.. Nothing like a Ranford glove save special. Why is Ranford not our goaltending coach?

45. Captain Happy says:

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 2h

Being asked about Hemsky to Ottawa rumours. At this time not a likely scenario. Hemsky’s value should increase a week into free agency

46. Maverick says:

do people read my blog posts? I’m asking a serious question.

Yes Sir!
    I’m a daily reader, semi-annually commentator ;-)

47. Maverick says:

Hemsky for Zack Smith and a 3rd would be my guess, maybe a 2nd but a 3rd seems more likely.
    Smith would be a good addition.

As for Gagner, I liked him when he was the only young talent, Cogilano, Nilsson, he was the best of the 3, but he has been passed by the super kids and is the odd man out. The contract is the big thing, and I think its upwards of $5 million a season. Too rich for this team now.

If its Toronto, could it go Gagner “+” and the 7th for Gardiner, Reimer, and the 11th? Too much? Too little return?

48. SoxandOil says:

Sorry if this has been brought up Lombardi is on fire. Off the top of my head I can’t recall him losing a trade. We all loved the return for Dustin Penner but Tuebert is trending in the wrong direction, Zharkov looked promising but went home to Russia and may never return and as sexy as Klefbom is he hasn’t been able to stay healthy and we don’t know how he’ll turn out in the NHL. Lombardi has built great depth and trades away that depth for valuable assets. Man having LA in the same division will suck.

49. gr8one says:

Lowetide: No worries, I was just teasing.

I figured…and for the record, I do read all of your blog posts, usually fairly thoroughly, I do rarely actually click the links though so I guess the Yost part just didn’t sink in.

The worst part is I didn’t realize it until I saw Gerta Rauss’ reply. Heh. :)

I read the blog, but don’t always view the videos.

The Penner deal was Teubert, a first(Klefbom), and a 2nd(?) for 1.2 seasons of Penner. The Oilers win that deal because Klefbom is likely to be around for a long time, a lot longer than 1.2 seasons.

51. Lucinius says:

OilClog,

Ranford is my favourite Oiler. Yes, more-so than Gretzky, Kurri, Messier, etc..

He’s also a goalie the Oilers absolutely ruined. Those years after winning the cup when the Oilers went into the shitter you could just see it game-in, game-out. Bit by bit playing on that Oiler team destroyed his soul. He constantly bailed that team out and prevented them from being as bad as the Oilers have been the past three, four years.

He was an incredibly under-rated goalie. Ranford in his prime? I’d take him over Roy in his prime — though I’m a massive hater of Roy so that figures (I regard Roy as the single most over-rated player in NHL history).

52. Rondo says:

This guy is crazy

A guy is going to walk across the Grand Canyon on a tight rope.

53. Tcharger says:

Ottawa fan here, like a tonne of what you guys have, and are quickly becoming my western team!

Just came across this site today, is this speculation based on any inside knowledge or purely speculation?

We have been discussing it elsewhere and what would you think of something along the lines of

Smith
    Cowen
    ?

for

Hemsky
    Smid(would love Klefbom)
    7th

54. SoxandOil says:

godot10,

I’m a big fan of Klefbom’s potential but he’s scares me a little kinda like Plante or Doug Lynch. But the trade doesn’t look as one sided as it did at deadline day. Plus Penner as poorly as he has played during the regular season since the trade, has been terrific in the playoffs. At this point Lombardi is the winner. I hope MacT can make Lombardi type deals.

55. Mr DeBakey says:

Hemsky for Zack Smith and a 3rd would be my guess,

Just did a check, Ottawa has 17, 78, 102, 108

56. Gerta Rauss says:

gr8one,

I was just teasing as well..:)

57. Captain's Log says:

I’d be very hesitant to deal Gagner right now – too many questions at C for this team. Of course MacT might have plans to deal with that. Any chance he thinks Arcobello could be the 2nd line C?

Hemsky for Zack Smith + would be alright with me. I’m with you LT in that Hemsky has been my favourite Oiler to watch for more than a decade but unless the Oilers move Eberle I don’t see Hemsky have a place on this team going forward.

Zack Smith as our 3rd line center would depend on which Zack Smith we get – the one that had 14 goals two years ago or the one that had 4 goals this past year. Takes a lot of draws and does well enough (51.8 % last year, 48.9 % two seasons ago).

Just think of the return Eberle could net though…

58. Gerta Rauss says:

Tcharger,

Welcome-this is the best Oilers site by a significant margin.

It’s all just speculation-it began with a post at HF boards last night by a poster with (apparent) reliable sources, and has picked up momentum by an Oilers fanbase that is just itching for some new information-any new information- about the town team.

The ? in your trade proposal better be something special…:)….giving up Smid isn’t going to be a popular move, let alone the 7th overall.

59. Mad Professor says:

I’m responding to the very first post in this thread, from Bookje. As an Oiler fan living in Toronto, Gardiner to the Oil plus swapping Mandel for Ford, even for 6 months, is all kinds of win win from where I sit.

60. Tcharger says:

Gerta Rauss,

Thanks for the welcome.

Yeah I have no idea what the + would be….I know in the Ottawa fan base Cowen is considered almost an untouchable at this point(not sure if I agree completely but can see the argument for it)

Hemsky’s injury history scares me the most about any deal for him.

Smith is one of those players, that when he is on his game you love him most of the time with the odd what the hell are you doing moment…mostly because he is trying to more than he is expected too.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the last years decline, he was forced into playing a significantly bigger role than we wanted him too and I am 100% certain you would have him playing.

61. striatic says:

Tcharger: Smith
    Cowen
    ?
    for
    Hemsky
    Smid(would love Klefbom)
    7th

i think the best you’re going to do is Smith for Hemsky+.

Oilers need *more* defense and trading Smid for Cowen doesn’t get us anywhere.

? for 7th is outrageous.

62. Tcharger says:

striatic,

I am sure there are pieces Ottawa has that would warrant moving the 7th….Just not sure Ottawa would be willing to move them.

Hemsky sort of fits the top 6 player that Murray has been hinting at, but not entirely sure he plays the current style Ottawa is going for.(don’t get to see much more than Highlights of your games out here though so I am mostly forming my opinion on bits and pieces of the game)

63. striatic says:

Tcharger: Hemsky sort of fits the top 6 player that Murray has been hinting at, but not entirely sure he plays the current style Ottawa is going for.

what style are they going for?

64. Rondo says:

striatic,

Why not just draft Darnell Nurse he sounds similar to Cowan

65. Tcharger says:

striatic: what style are they going for?

Moniker last season was Pesky Sens…so kinda a never die attitude, doesn’t matter if they are down by 3 with 5 minutes to go, the game isn’t over until the final buzzer. Most players are responsible all over the ice….and play with at least a bit of an edge

66. striatic says:

Tcharger: Moniker last season was Pesky Sens…

that’s not really a “style of play”.

are they a puck possession team? cycle offense team? transition offense team? pressure forecheck team? trapping team?

67. Tcharger says:

striatic,

Honestly…after all of the injuries last season I am not entirely sure….I think they will be puck possession/transition offence(hard not to be with Karlsson) with everyone healthy.

68. striatic says:

what i can say about Hemsky is that he goes to the tough areas of the ice to make plays, which is how his shoulders got destroyed. the surgeries on his shoulders seemed to work very well though. unfortunately he got a fluke broken foot mid-season and ended up playing on it with suffering performance.

the guy isn’t big or heavy or strong but he has loads of courage, maybe even too much. Detroit [puck possession team] has supposedly been interested in him for some time but he’s always been injured when it came time to possibly move him.

69. Rondo says:

Tcharger,

I’d rather have Nurse than Cowan. Oilers would not do that deal.

70. Tcharger says:

Rondo,

Not sure who I would rather…Cowen is more proven for sure, but also has had some fairly major injury issues already. I wouldn’t be shocked to see you snag Nurse at 7.

71. striatic says:

Basically ..

Hemsky is not very good at:
    Forechecking
    Backchecking

Hemsky is very good at:
    Playmaking
    Zone-Entry

Hemsky is adequate at:
    Shooting
    Cycling

statistically, teams that have successful offensive zone entry get more scoring chances and teams that get more scoring chances score more goals.

the prototypical Hemsky move is to out maneuver the D, gain the blueline and buttonhook. this is more of a PP style Maneuver but Hemsky’s puck handling ability lets him pull this off on EV.

in a 3rd line role he might be good for helping a 3rd line that normal plays chip and chase start to execute more controlled zone entry and keep the puck longer, and generate more chances.

72. Gerta Rauss says:

striatic:

You left out that he’s the last one off the ice after practice..:)

73. striatic says:

Gerta Rauss: You left out that he’s the last one off the ice after practice..:)

he’s also a good canadian boy with lots of heart.

74. dessert1111 says:

Would do Gagner for Gardiner + 21OV, not straight up.

I am all for trading Gagner ($$$) but if a more well-rounded centre isn’t coming back there is pretty big hole. If we can plug another hole (top 4d) and get a 1st round pick, then that might be worth it.

I don’t know if both the top 6 forward and top 4 d both get done this summer. I think it’s too much to expect based on the trading chips the Oilers have and the other holes in the lineup.

75. sben says:

Hi everyone. I like Tcharger am a sens fan and I wanted to mention just one thing that I noticed. Everyone here thinks that a smith for Hemsky deal up straight is unfair and that a draft pick in the 2-4 round should be given. I agree that a draft pick should be given however I think it should be a 6th rounder. Let me explain why. I don’t know what you guys call your blogger but I’ll call him mr. tide right now. Mr. Tide mentioned that in order for this deal to be fair you guys have to get the Smith from two years back. I guarantee that is what will happen. The only reason he was bad this year was because he was thrust into a higher position at the beginning of the year due to Spezza’s injury. Same with Turris. That is why both player had subpar years. I think that if you get the same which I think you will get if you give him proper linemates. Something to also note which I’m sure you all know a little bit too well: Hemsky has a high risk of injury and although this was probably taken into account I don’t think enough. In the last 258 games Hemsky should have played he only played 176. He is too injury prone for Smith + a 2nd-4th rounder to be a deal worth it for the sens. Smith +a 6th would suffice in my opinion. Note: This is just my opinion and not all sens (or Edmonton) fans would agree with my opinion so don’t let your vision of the sens fans be skewed if you don’t agree with my opinion.

76. fifthcartel says:

So is there any idea as to what this press conference on Tuesday is about?

77. sben says:

striatic: he’s also a good canadian boy with lots of heart.

He was born in Pardubice, Czech Republic. That doesn’t sound canadian to me.

78. striatic says:

sben: Smith +a 6th would suffice in my opinion.

a 6th isn’t really worth anything, it is the sort of thing that gets moved when you are trying to make a pure salary dump look like vaguely like an actual trade.

a 2nd round pick would be way too much, as would be a 3rd round pick. 4th round pick seems about right.

fifthcartel:
    So is there any idea as to what this press conference on Tuesday is about?

80. striatic says:

sben: He was born in Pardubice, Czech Republic. That doesn’t sound canadian to me.

really? i coulda’ sworn he was from Regina.

81. Gerta Rauss says:

sben,striatic: He was born in Pardubice, Czech Republic. That doesn’t sound canadian to me.

A gentle jab from a Hemsky fan(me) and we’re off the rails now…:)

Take ‘em wide, Hemburger!!!

83. Gerta Rauss says:

fifthcartel:
    So is there any idea as to what this press conference on Tuesday is about?

84. fifthcartel says:

Lowetide: Setting up the week I imagine. “we’ve got a lot of deals on the boil and our hope is we return with the Beatles, Rolling Stones and the Who. At the very least, the Kinks.”

At this point, I’ll take any sort of ‘news’.

85. striatic says:

Gerta Rauss: Somebody mentioned earlier today that maybe they are announcing the Asst coach(s)..?

i think that’s more likely than a trade announcement, especially when it isn’t guaranteed the SCF will be finished on Tuesday.

Hemsky for Smith seems like it could be a done deal, based on the rumours coupled with the fact that it seems to make sense for both teams. if the Hawks win tomorrow, i could see that trade being talked about at the presser, but otherwise it’ll be coaching announce plus lots of trade and draft related questions.

86. striatic says:

Hemburger!

can’t trade him now. need to get some use out of that nickname.

87. sben says:

This offseason will be great.

88. Lucinius says:

Hemsky.. how I’d explain him is basically like this;

He’s an elite player in terms of raw skill (easily the most skilled of any Oiler, including the first overalls), but its in that old-school, pure instinctual fashion which means a lot of his skill leads to absolutely nothing plays. I call him the ‘Master of the Almost’ because it describes him perfectly; he will, more often than not, create 4-6 beautiful, stand up in your seat plays a game that will almost end up in a goal.. which while entertaining doesn’t exactly win games. Sometimes he’ll pull it off, of course.

He’s very similar to Jagr, actually, except he’s smaller and less athletic (another area our first overalls have on him, leading to them being better players). This isn’t to say he’s in poor shape, but merely that he’s not a fitness nut and a bit worn down due to certain players trying to out-right end his career for several years (two(?) of which admitted as much in the press, if I recall correctly).

He’s an all-world passer and has a fantastic shot (that he almost never fucking uses!!). But like Jagr he’s a east-west player type which can be hard on his line-mates to figure out, especially at the offensive blue-line.

Hemsky can actually be very good at back-checking.. but it depends on his attitude. If he’s into the game he’s defensively responsible (which is good, because his play style does lead to turn-overs), if not he’ll make half-hearted attempts.

Earlier in his career he saw minor PK work, which he did well on.. and then never saw the PK again. PP is a specialty if the coach isn’t retarded (like we’ve had at times..) and his unit actually moves, instead of standing still waiting for him to thread the needle.

His signature move on the powerplay is, with the puck, circle around tightly near the half-boards and draw two or three pkers to him and then dish the puck to a now open, moving player for a high quality scoring chance.. and its something he’s fairly successful at — but, again, only if his line-mates on the powerplay are skating.

Injuries have slightly fucked him up, but the shoulders look to be in good shape now, and the foot injury was from blocking a shot while the Oilers were still in the playoff race — he’s the type of guy who will play hurt and lay it all out for his team. Just don’t look to him to start hitting or jawing. That’s not his game.

He’s one of the more under-rated players in the league that, unfortunately, hasn’t panned out due to being on a shitty team with a couple coaches that couldn’t adapt to his instinctual play style and injuries from constantly going to the hard areas while being the only skill player on the entire team and trying to carry it.

89. jp says:

sben:
    I don’t know what you guys call your blogger but I’ll call him mr. tide right now. Mr. Tide mentioned that in order for this deal to be fair you guys have to get the Smith from two years back. I guarantee that is what will happen. The only reason he was bad this year was because he was thrust into a higher position at the beginning of the year due to Spezza’s injury.Same with Turris. That is why both player had subpar years.

First, he’s called Lowetide or LT for short.

Second, how is it that Smith playing up in the lineup due to the Spezza injury can explain his off season? The main issue is 4G in 48GP this year vs. 14G in 81GP last year, no? His corsi numbers weren’t much different. How is a lack of scoring caused by being thrust up in the lineup to play with better players? The other Sens fan on here mentioned this too, just curious what’s the rationale.

90. Tcharger says:

jp,

He wasn’t really playing with better players…they were also hurt. A lot of the guys that played a lot of minutes on our team were playing a line up, or even some should have been in Bingo(farm team)…If you have two third line players playing with a rookie/one second line player it isn’t easy to expect the one player to pull the other two up to their level. He also is playing against much stronger defenders playing on the top two lines.

Were we as Ottawa fans still disappointed with his lack of production, sure we were….am I concerned for his long term worth, not at all. I know he isn’t a second line player(he may work as a #6 in a pinch, but would need two much higher skill guys with him). He however is a great character guy, that although isn’t a heavy weight, won’t back down from anyone, and is definitely above average in the FO circle. If you play him where he belongs(third line) you wont be disappointed

91. jp says:

Tcharger,

Cool, good to know the situation.

92. Racki says:

gr8one:

I don’t know if we have to add much more, but i would definitely do the deal. Colborne is a big wild card. But I’d take a chance on him. Losing Nick Schultz wouldn’t be terrible. I like the guy, but we’d be getting Phaneuf back, so, it easily makes up for that.

I’d keep Smid/Petry together since they’re known to work together already, and pair Phaneuf and J. Schultz. Phaneuf has a bomb, and Schultz is a great passer, so they’d make a pretty lethal offensive combo. Defensively, Phaneuf could hopefully hold the fort. J. Schultz can be a bit of a wreck defensively, at times, as we know. But I think they’d work well together.

93. Racki says:

As far as this announcement Tuesday, I think it’s one of the following:

- Eakins announcing assistant coaches or associate (I think it’s too soon for any of this though… just hadn’t really heard anything on his search, so seems unlikely)

- Hall being named captain. I think this is pretty likely because with them giving Horcoff the go ahead recently to talk to other teams, it’s clear he’s gone. So no Horc, no captain.. time to name a new one (well, plenty of time for that, but ..)

- Sam Gagner extension

Or, lastly, since Bob Stauffer ruined it.. sounds like it’s just a presser for MacTavish/Media to discuss the draft. So, a whole bunch of nothing! :P

Racki: The thing about MacT in front of a microphone is he apparently drinks truth serum before heading out there. Golden interviews.

95. Racki says:

Oh yah, I love his interviews. Not only does he speak fairly openly, but he also tends to have a sense of humor that I completely get, whereas most seem to figure he’s pretty dry.

96. Puckberger says:

Racki,

I tweeted at Stauffer about his next interview with Craig Button, asking if he could get Button to clarify his value of Hemsky not being worth a 2nd Rounder, seeing how Stauff recently stated there WILL be a decent market for Hemsky.

He got back to me, so who knows, wait and see…..

97. Ivan says:

Every. Single. One.

98. art vandelay says:

I’m hard-pressed to think of a less-prototypical Bruin than Alice. Can’t even imagine a universe where Chiarelli would trade for him.

99. Puckberger says:

art vandelay,

I see Boston as a fit, just like i see LA as a fit …Teams need balance, thats why hes run his course as an Oiler…..Too similar to everything that the Blue and Orange already have

100. Rebilled says:

Maurice on board Tuesday is my guess.

Belanger bought out because

Hemsky trade for Smith and ?

Gagner traded somewhere not Toronto(so, Toronto) or signed.

A guy can guess.

101. Matt.N says:

art vandelay:

Hi Art!

102. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Man… Lombardi fed Nonis his lunch on that deal.

Not only did he get an NHL roster player and a really quality replacement backup for Bernier… he also got Nonis to throw in a 2nd and some cash…. jeebus!!!

Bernier wasn’t even signed…. Nonis still has to labor through contract negotiations.

Get on the phone MacT…. Nonis has lost the script.