NAMES IN PLAY: LETANG

The Edmonton Oilers have arrived in New York and are no doubt trying to conduct business. They have a ‘baker’s dozen’ on their to-do list and a fan base singing ‘let’s see action’ in a loud and rowdy manner.

THE LIST (FOCUS ON #9)

1. Sign Sam Gagner to a multi-year deal that has begins with a number in the 4′s.
  2. Get Paajarvi signed and then find a role that suits him (suspect it’s 3line).
  3. Deal Hemsky for immediate help (even if its a checker).
  4. Deal Horcoff or slot him into the 3line job for which he is actually ideal.
  5. Find a 2line L who can complement Gagner-Yakupov with puck retrieval, blocking out the sun, etc
  6. Find a 3line C and L to play with Paajarvi
  7. Find a 4line C to play with Smyth/Brown
  8. Decide on Lander/Belanger or other for 13F (and 14F if they go with 7D).
  9. Top 4 defender (a genuinely effective one, no ‘almosts or sortas’)
  10. Better blue depth (MacT has done this with Belov, plus Klefbom/Fedun/Marincin)
  11. Backup goalie
  12. AHL #1/NHL #3 goalie
  13. Sign Paul Ranger

LETANG A DELUXE SOLUTION

letang1

This is 5×5 CorsiOn and Letang is the cock of the walk. No surprise. What is the possible cost to an NHL team? Well, you would think #7 overall is a nice starting point and of course they’ll need a replacement blue (Petry?) but how much more would you need to give? Is it worth it? Would you even go near this deal without an contract extension?

Your depth chart for RH blue (Letang, Justin Schultz) is insane if you make the deal. Would you make that deal? Jason Gregor asked the queston earlier in the week, and I’m still wondering about my answer.

GAGNER

gagner common1I think this gets done sometime soon, maybe in the next 24 hours. One thing no one has talked about: Paajarvi’s deal. I know he’s a secondary concern, but still you would think that some chatter would be out there.

Crickets. Hmmm.

134 Responses to "NAMES IN PLAY: LETANG"

1. Gerta Rauss says:

I’m a little worried about Paajarvi myself. It wouldn’t be the end of the world if they dealt him but they are going to need some value contracts in their top 9 going forward-if Magnus can find a spot for value dollars that’s a big win for the org.

Unfortuneately, he doesn’t fill the “meat” quotient that Mac T is looking for and couild be in jeopardy.

2. Rondo says:

Vollman has a article regarding second pairing defensemen. It does mention Letang from 2012

3. Racki says:

I like Letang, but here’s the way I see it..

That #7 pick could wind up doing a few things for us:
    provide a rock solid d-,an
    provide a good 2-way center on line 2 (high hopes of this with Monahan)
    provide a good powerforward in nichushkin (I’m leaning against this now though with reports that he’s an egomaniac)
    Or, it could be a dud.

I think I’m pretty confident though that Monahan (if still there) would be just what we need on line 2, so I consider him addressing a need, big time, if even a couple/few years away

Now, Petry… solid d-man. I don’t think we’ve seen his potential. Will even ever be Letang? I would think definitely not. A fairly big step down. But I’m thinking “Moneyball” here, and Moneyball tells me that a solid Jeff Petry and a solid Monahan are much better than the shiney toy Letang. I could be way off. But I just think if we trade our decent d-man in Petry,the #7 (which could be a humdinger, if this draft is like 2003), AND another player, we’re taking a big step forward on D, but stepping back in other areas.

I’m leaning more towards the Phaneuf suggestion. Some said Gagner for Phaneuf gets it done.

I would do that deal any day, long before I would do Petry + #7 + young player for Letang.

Is Phaneuf as good as Letang? Probably not, but he’s a good enough d-man to lead the team, and that trade doesn’t cripple us.

4. striatic says:

#7 for one year of Letang isn’t worth it.

why would he sign here?

if he would sign here, why not wait until he’s UFA and try to buy him for just money?

5. russ99 says:

The only worry about Letang is he’s UFA next offseason, which is why the Pens want to deal him now.

If there’s a way we can get him signed or a negotiation window before the deal is done, I’m all for it.

6. Rondo says:

Racki,

I agree with you.

striatic:
    #7 for one year of Letang isn’t worth it.

why would he sign here?

If you’re going to the market with a list of challenges, then Letang may (I think he does) solve #9. NO WAY a team makes this deal without getting an extension done with the agent, but for me that’s not the deal breaker.

The deal breaker, and the thing that has given me pause, is the value of #7 overall.

8. striatic says:

Lowetide: If you’re going to the market with a list of challenges, then Letang may (I think he does) solve #9.

he does, but i think it is better to wait until next summer when the UFA crop for D looks astounding.

sure, lots of those guys will re-sign with their current teams before going UFA, but if even a third don’t, the Oilers are looking at some very interesting options, many as interesting as LeTang as well as Letang himself, without having to give up a pick to acquire.

9. PerryK says:

I would love to get Letang, but I think the price would be too high!

I will suggest a solution to #5 above, however! Ideally, it would be Penner, but since he is persona non grata, what about Colin Wilson from Nashville.

He is practically an Oiler already (2 shoulder surgeries this Spring). 6′ 1″ 216 pounds and can flat out fly! Excellent hockey IQ. Seriously, he can hit as well (by eye). Of course he doesn’t fight every game or anything. But doesn’t he seem like what we would like Paajarvi to become?

Wonder what it would cost to obtain him?

10. Kris11 says:

11. Kris11 says:

I’d pay 7 and Petry for Letang if he signed a long term deal.

If not, maybe just Petry and a later pick.

12. Kris11 says:

Petry would have big value for a lot of teams at the cap because of his low cap hit, solid play, and will still be an RFA after this year,

One way to improve the D could be to upgrade by trading Petry +. But that could turn awful, awfully quick. Like that time I threw up on the tilt-a-whirl.

13. Captain Happy says:

The dominos begin to fall.

Calgary trades Tanguay and Sarich to Colorado for David Jones and Shane O’Brien.

Colorado gets some much need scoring and a veteran D, Calgary gets younger and tougher to play against.

Win-win

14. Chris says:

I want nothing to do with Chris Letang for the money he is looking for. http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2013-04-30/nhl-playoffs-2013-odds-penguins-games-sidney-crosby-injury-jarome-iginla

Crosby and Malkin drive the bus in Pittsburgh, Letang is a complimentary player. Stick anyone out them with their on a regular basis and they will look better than they actually are. We should be looking for players that are going to be fair market value or exceeding contract value. Letang has had Crosby and Malkin to pump his tires why on earth we’d want to be the people to pay for that I don’t know.

15. Jon K says:

The deal breaker for me is the cost of acquisition AND the contract cost, both without knowing if Letang can continue his performance without being tied to Crosby or Malkin. WOWY numbers would probably assist.

It’s rumoured that he’s already rejected a multiyear contract with an AAV over $7 million. If he’s dead set on a huge payday, it may indicate that he and his agent are also concerned about these issues.

1) Paajarvi might just sign his qualifying offer. He doesn’t really have a case for a big raise. His contract is really a non-problem.

2) Character does matter, but it is a threshold thing: i.e. Aaron Hernandez.

3) Letang will never be value-for-money. His is average defensively, not very physical and not very big, and his stats are inflated by playing with Crosby and Malkin, and by playing in the weaker conference. And the Oilers are moving into a division with big heavy teams and strong cycling teams. Letang was awful against the Bruins. By the time the Oilers are contending, Justin Schultz will be Kris Letang. I’d rather have Petry, the #7, and offer sheet or trade for a solid cheaper top 4 D, like Gunnarsson. I’d prefer Phaneuf to Letang. Better all-around D suited to the division the OIlers are moving into and provides a better overall balance to the Oiler D skillset.

17. ashley says:

Kris11: Damn. Every time I see a new post here, I assume some big deal has been completed. This time, for a second, I thought we got Letang.Crazy times. We’ll probably all be let down, but it should be a fun ride. Just like that time I threw up on the tilt-a-whirl.

You want to read about an Oilers trade so badly that you’ll take a bad one? That’s the kind of thing that got us in trouble July 1 2011 with Belanger, Eager, Barker and company. But it sure was fun talking about all the things going on.

18. striatic says:

the “relevant” under 30 year old, 2014 UFA D shake out like this.

big names:

Bouwmeester, 29
    Phaneuf, 28
    Letang, 26
    Girardi, 29

little names:

Pitkanen, 28
    Hjalmarsson, 26
    Niskanen, 26
    Nikitin, 27
    Diaz, 27

i think the Oilers are going to save their pennies and buy one or more of these guys next summer.

19. wheatnoil says:

Captain Happy:
    The dominos begin to fall.

Win-win

20. Captain Happy says:

Chris:

This is not true.

Crosby and Malkin play much better WITH Letang than WITHOUT him.

It’s not often that a potential Norris candidate hits the market and yet fans of the team that most needs a D like him are quibbling about his perceived value.

What would you pay for Erik Karlsson?

Start there…Letang is right in that ballpark.

Good grief.

21. Captain Happy says:

wheatnoil: Jones should bounce back a little next year. He had 20 and 27 goal compaigns, aided by 14.7% and 17.6% shooting percentages respectively. He plummets to 3 goals (in 33 games, so about 7 over a full season) as his shooting percentage crashes to 4.8%. I don’t how how good of a shooter Jones is, but I suspect it’s somewhere higher than 4.8% and lower than 14-17%.

Yeah.

He’s been up and down and his injury history is certainly a concern but I think it’s a pretty good bet by Feaster.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Feaster moves Camalleri at the draft too.

22. Captain Happy says:

striatic:
    the “relevant” under 30 year old, 2014 UFA D shake out like this.

big names:

Bouwmeester, 29
    Phaneuf, 28
    Letang, 26
    Girardi, 29

little names:

Pitkanen, 28
    Hjalmarsson, 26
    Niskanen, 26
    Nikitin, 27
    Diaz, 27

Saving your pennies while other teams sign their UFA’s is just silly.

I’d bet only 1 or 2 of those players hit the open market and there will be 29 teams buying.

Godot has repeatedly posted that the Oilers should offer sheet players like Shattenkirk, Voynov, Tanev et al.

Problem is, the teams that own their rights know what they have and won’t allow them to get to market.

The successful strategy is to target cap strapped teams THIS offseason since it is a once in a lifetime opportunity with the cap going down.

That won’t happen again in the next decade.

23. striatic says:

why is it in Letang’s interest to sign now instead of going UFA next summer?

if any trade of 7OV is contingent on him signing an extension now, why would he do it?

Captain Happy: This is not true.

Crosby and Malkin play much better WITH Letang than WITHOUT him.

What would you pay for Erik Karlsson?

Start there…Letang is right in that ballpark.

Good grief.

The Oilers are not contending next year. Letang is not value-for-money. The Oilers already have to a player and a solid prospect who project into being able to fill a Letang-like role and more likely to be value for money when the Oilers contend. i.e. Justin Schultz and Martin Gernat.

Letang would break the Taylor Hall salary cap even before Hall starts getting his first paycheque. A team is built on value-for-money. With the final pieces, with the cap space created by a foundation built on value-for-money, then one can pay full value or overpay.

Whale-hunting for Hossa cost the Oilers Glencross. Whale hunting for Souray and Heatley also really turned out well.

Letang is just more stupid whale-hunting putting the cart before the horse. A perennial contender is build on a value-for-money foundation. There is bold and there is foolhardy.

Letang would just be a return to the foolhardiness of the past.

25. MrEd says:

It’s interesting to consider Letang but it’s also entirely unrealistic IMO. I don’t think that a guy with his experience would be interested in Edmonton. Same goes for Lecavalier and Briere. If what Stauffer said is true about Bolland (that Chicago wants a Pomminville-like return) then the price is too dear. Bickell looks like he’s going to sign for a discount.
    I’m in the camp who thinks that Sam isn’t going to be worth the money he wants. I’d go so far as to say that his camp is probably leveraging the fact that the OIlers have NO ONE to else to play the middle at the start of next year. The Nuge is iffy at best to be ready. Maybe Sam’s value to the Oilers is that he’d take less money to play for another team?
    I sure hope MacT didn’t put the cart before the horse with Horcoff.

Having said all that I think that the OIlers should draft the best D on their list at 7. Having Ristoleinen or Nurse in the fold would give us good depth on the back end and a scenario where it is likely that we could graduate a defenceman a year for the next few years.

Damn snow. Rebuilding in Edmonton takes a long time i think. Patience MacT.

26. Captain Happy says:

godot10: The Oilers are not contending next year.Letang is not value-for-money.The Oilers already have toa player and a solid prospect who project into being able to fill a Letang-like role and more likely to be value for money when the Oilers contend.i.e. Justin Schultz and Martin Gernat.

Letang would break the Taylor Hall salary cap even before Hall starts getting his first paycheque.A team is built on value-for-money.With the final pieces, with the cap space created by a foundation built on value-for-money, then one can pay full value or overpay.

Whale-hunting for Hossa cost the Oilers Glencross.Whale hunting for Souray and Heatley also really turned out well.

Letang is just more stupid whale-hunting putting the cart before the horse.A perennial contender is build on a value-for-money foundation.There is bold and there is foolhardy.

Letang would just be a return to the foolhardiness of the past.

With that approach, the Oilers will never contend.

The fact that the Oilers overpaid Hall and Eberle is not the point.

Defensemen like Letang, become available very rarely and successful teams identify those players and lock them up.

I would remind you the LA Kings won a cup after locking up Doughty for $7.0M/year.

Is that a “value contract”?

Counting on a defensive disaster like Justin Schultz to become a Letang or Doughty someday is fool’s gold.

Gernat? Good grief.

It only works until it doesn’t.

There are likely only about 15-20 elite D men in the league and Letang is one of them and, if you have a chance to get one, you do it.

Please fill me in on all the Stanley Cup winners in the past 20 years that built their defense around “value contracts”.

27. Captain Happy says:

More on the Letang situation.

Pittsburgh has offered him a contract that pays slightly over $7M a year on an 8 year contract.

28. "Steve Smith" says:

Captain Happy: The fact that the Oilers overpaid Hall [...] is not the point.

Hi, Captain!

29. Captain Happy says:

“Steve Smith”: Hi, Captain!

Hi Art!

30. knighttown says:

Did anyone watch how dominant Duncan Keith was in playoffs? Kris Letang is the same guy with more offence. A guy who can move like that and pass like that is an absolute must have. He’s 26 years old, 6 feet 205.

Probably couldn’t find a better target for this hockey team. I’d move the #7 + Petry and give him 5×7.5.

Webber at 7.8. Suter at 7.5. Doughty at 7.

Doughty will be top pairing on Canada’s Olympic team. Letang won’t make the team.

Canada’s Right Defense… Doughty, Weber, Subban, Pieterangelo, Seabrook….Letang is #5 or #6.

32. Rondo says:

Kris Letang is an excellent offensive defenseman, However he is no Drew Doughty or Duncan Keith.

He is not very good in his own end, Pitt would not trade him if they thought he was a #1 dman.

With a great offense he really has not scored many goals

33. Captain Happy says:

knighttown:
    Did anyone watch how dominant Duncan Keith was in playoffs?Kris Letang is the same guy with more offence. A guy who can move like that and pass like that is an absolute must have.He’s 26 years old, 6 feet 205.

Webber at 7.8. Suter at 7.5. Doughty at 7.

Yep.

knighttown:

Webber at 7.8. Suter at 7.5. Doughty at 7.

Duncan Keith was the best player on the Ice against the Bruins. Letang was one of PIttsburgh’s worst defensemen on the ice against the Bruins. Letang as been feasting on a weak conference on a great team.

35. Captain Happy says:

godot10:
    Doughty will be top pairing on Canada’s Olympic team.Letang won’t make the team.

Nonsense.

The Norris Trophy finalists were Subban, Letang and Suter.

And, even if Letang is the #5 defenseman in the world, waiting on Schultz or Gernat (LOL) to reach that level is ridiculous.

Letang is just entering his prime as a defenseman and any team employing him is going to be a whole lot better.

36. striatic says:

Rondo: However he is no Drew Doughty or Duncan Keith.

i think he is better on offense than Keith, but he isn’t as good defensively.

he’s a little more like Mike Green except his offense comes more from playmaking.

37. Captain Happy says:

godot10: Duncan Keith was the best player on the Ice against the Bruins.Letang was one of PIttsburgh’s worst defensemen on the ice against the Bruins.Letang as been feasting on a weak conference on a great team.

Jeebus.

Letang scored 16 PTS in 15 playoff games and was +2.

Sidney Crosby scored 15 PTS and was -3.

Letang led the Penguins in TOI/G at 27:37…a full minute more than Paul Martin.

If Pittsburgh had a problem, Letang wasn’t it.

By the way, Letang had the best CorsiON of all Pittsburgh defensemen at +6.63. The next best was Niskanen at +3.65.

Please explain how Letang was Pittsburgh’s “worst defenseman”.

Be specific.

38. Rondo says:

striatic,

I wonder how many points Letang would have if he was not on the Penguins.

39. Captain Happy says:

Rondo:
    striatic,

I wonder how many points Letang would have if he was not on the Penguins.

I wonder how many points the Penguins would score if they didn’t have Letang.

It’s impossible to separate the two.

40. Melman says:

If you want spend $7M on an offensive defenseman who is averageish in their own end but can move the puck like the dickens and has Stanley winning experience – go try and peel Campbell out of FLA for 3 years until the bubbling D have shown their true stripes. He’d cost a fraction of the assets that PItt would want and I’m sure FLA wouldn’t mind moving that salary.

If you want to get one by trade, try and get Edler out of Van. he’s $5M

There’s a reason why : “Canada’s Right Defense… Doughty, Weber, Subban, Pieterangelo, Seabrook….Letang is #5 or #6″ are all playing on the teams that draft them. The cost to acquire these guys by trade is crippling unless you hit the perfect storm like Edm. did with Pronger (and like Ana. did with Pronger)

41. VanOil says:

Captain Happy: Nonsense.

The Norris Trophy finalists were Subban, Letang and Suter.

I don’t know if Letang is a fit for the Oilers or not. But Doughty I would take over him any day even after a summer eating pancakes with Penner. Maybe I suffer from a Western Bias.

42. Captain Happy says:

Melman:
    If you want spend $7M on an offensive defenseman who is averageish in their own end but can move the puck like the dickens and has Stanley winning experience – go try and peel Campbell out of FLA for 3 years until the bubbling D have shown their true stripes.He’d cost a fraction of the assets that PItt would want and I’m sure FLA wouldn’t mind moving that salary.

There’s a reason why : “Canada’s Right Defense… Doughty, Weber, Subban, Pieterangelo, Seabrook….Letang is #5 or #6″ are all playing on the teams that draft them.The cost to acquire these guys by trade is crippling unless you hit the perfect storm like Edm. did with Pronger (and like Ana. did with Pronger)

Brian Campbell is 34 years old is a paid $7.2M for the next 3 seasons.

While you may get him for a song (he has a NMC) all you would be doing is plugging in a Souray.

Letang is a long term investment.

43. BONVIE says:

godot10,

I agree Letang isn’t really the type of D we need I’m thinking more on the line of Bogosian, Pieterangelo, Myers, Hedman.

To get a coveted young Dman we obviously will have to use some of our valued pieces such as the 7 pick or one of our offensive dynamos but not for Letang. In a strong draft that pick couldn’t get us an elite player that could be contributing very soon.

Hemsky is a Letang deal.

44. Captain Happy says:

VanOil: Nonsense, Nonsense. Yak was not a Calder finalist. Would you trade him for any of them.

I would trade Yak for Letang in a New York minute.

Scoring wingers are the most plentiful commodity in the NHL.

One of the top 10 defensemen in the world are a little harder to come by.

45. Henry says:

Letang is a fine hockey player, but MacT and the other GMs would have to ask themselves ‘is Pittsburgh doing with Letang what they did with Whitney a few years ago?’ ‘Why would they trade their best-to-only puck mover?’ ‘Is there a problem with Letang that isn’t apparent now?’

Then pay accordingly, or not.

46. Rondo says:

BONVIE,

I’d rather have Adam Larsson than Letang

47. BONVIE says:

BONVIE,

Couldn’t should be could in that last post but auto correct took over my post.

48. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Yea… That Hall contract, right guys?

Brutal! Booo-urns!! Boo-urns!!!

Cloutier! Art! Sweet Potato Pie!

49. BONVIE says:

BONVIE,

Yeah you can add that Larsen as well as the Phoenix one to my list of young blue liners that we should target.

50. Kris11 says:

ashley,

Yeah, Ashley. I posted that and then immediately regretted it. Just like that time I threw up on the tilt-a-whirl.

51. Ribs says:

I’m sure the youngin’s get enough of le tang on their own. They don’t need this guy!

Captain Happy: I would trade Yak for Letang in a New York minute.

Scoring wingers are the most plentiful commodity in the NHL.

One of the top 10 defensemen in the world are a little harder to come by.

53. striatic says:

Rondo:
    striatic,

I wonder how many points Letang would have if he was not on the Penguins.

Compared to Keith?

it isn’t like Keith doesn’t have high powered forwards to work with also.

54. FastOil says:

And then there’s the fact that the Oilers have 3 RH D that have offensive capability and none on the left.

Baby steps friends. Weak left side at the moment.

55. "Steve Smith" says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Yea… That Hall contract, right guys?

Brutal! Booo-urns!! Boo-urns!!!

Cloutier! Art! Sweet Potato Pie!

^This.

I think I’m having a stroke.

56. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I’d rather trade for Tyutin and sign Ranger.

Offseason adds of Tyutin, Ranger, Belov with call ups in Klefbom and Fedun looks good to me.

57. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Feels like a Monk Montgomery kind of night:

first jazz bassist to really work out the kinks on the ole’ Fender and give her a serious ride. The intro to the second track will really freak you out.

third track is the best of this group (second side of his masterful album “Bass Odyssey” 1971)

58. 99thoilerfan says:

Lecavalier, anyone? Discuss..

( sorry to change mid thread, but I had to ask )

59. FastOil says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    I’d rather trade for Tyutin and sign Ranger.

60. Kris11 says:

what would it take to get Tyutin out of CBJ do you all think?

61. Kris11 says:

Lecavalier good.

Contract is sticking point.

“Steve Smith”: ^This.

I think I’m having a stroke.

The one thing Tambellini absolutely hit out of the park was the Hall contract. Big fly.

63. Kris11 says:

I wish Paul Ranger had become captain of the Rangers. Ranger and the Rangers is too perfect. Has that name match ever been possible in another sport?

Was there a player name Jet in baseball or hockey? Padre in baseball? I guess anyone named King would work in either the NBA or NHL. Any others? Not many.

64. Romulus Apotheosis says:

FastOil: I am not sure how Ranger fits in as a left shot with Tyutin and Klefbom unless they trade Smid and NS. No?

Let’s hold off on worrying about our awesome LD depth until we have some. Or, that’s a nice problem to have.

And, as LT mentioned the odd man out is probably going to be NS. Who (if MacT really hits it out the park) is going to be an over-paid, defensive 3rd pairing guy… curious question is whether he has more value this off-season or at the deadline next year?

65. Romulus Apotheosis says:

99thoilerfan:
    Lecavalier, anyone?Discuss..

( sorry to change mid thread, but I had to ask )

Love to have him here for something like 4.5 x 4… since he’s getting stacks anyway he may take a discount to play… but he can basically pick his team and I’d guess he picks Montreal.

Kris11:
    what would it take to get Tyutin out of CBJ do you all think?

3 for 1. let’s say NS, solid prospect and a pick. Does that do it?

Kris11: Paul Ranger

The real question seems to be does he want to play and will he see a contract through? beyond that you wonder how long he’d want a contract for and how much he’d actually command?

It’s such a rare situation, it’s really hard to know what to expect contract wise.

The benefit is the same “found money” clause in the Belov contract.

66. Captain Happy says:

Lowetide: Yes, but you’re a Canuck fans worried about Yak City cramming it up Johnny Canucks proverbial for the next 15 years.

I’m not worried at all.

67. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Kris11: Was there a player name Jet

Sorry, couldn’t resist:

68. SpotTheLoon says:

Apparently, Letang’s camp has rejected an eight year, $56 million deal. Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 3m
    Also told that Letang camp counter-offered with a long-term deal which would pay less than $8 M (north of $7.5 M); Pens said too high

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 11m
    Whether more contract talks are coming or whether Pens put Letang on trade market remains to be seen…

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 12m
    Hearing that Letang camp informed Penguins earlier tonight that they were turning down an 8-year contract offer worth around $56 million…

69. sliderule says:

My eyes saw Letang running around like chicken with his head cut off against the Bruins.

I think the pens see this.I hope the oil does to.

On top of all that he wants to be in east.

70. Romulus Apotheosis says:

SpotTheLoon:
    Apparently, Letang’s camp has rejected an eight year, $56 million deal.Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 3m

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 11m

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 12m

That’s a lot of cake, but it is interesting that the counter isn’t that far off. I guess the Pens came in with their high water mark?

71. SpotTheLoon says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

It does sound as though the Pens made their initial offer the best possible. Given what LeBrun is saying, it might end up that Letang and the Pens find a way to make this work. The gap isn’t huge.

72. OilLeak says:

I find it kind of hilarious that many are finding ways to shit on Letang. Those who claim to have seen Letang bad against the Bruins are hilarious, has everyone forgot his overall body of work? Apparently so. No, Letang is not Suter, Chara, or weber, but if you’re waiting for those guys to become available then there are several more 1st overall picks with the Oilers name on them on the horizon. All that being said, if Letang is seeking 8 million per season than that kind of salary will cause more problems than solutions.

73. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Yea… That Hall contract, right guys?

Brutal! Booo-urns!! Boo-urns!!!

Cloutier! Art! Sweet Potato Pie!

Cap’n Harpy. Crunchy even in milk.

74. BONVIE says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

They can keep that contract.

Sounds like they’ll make it happen based on Spot the Loon’s post up north. Interesting thread though, lots of passion about this player. Oiler fans don’t love the skill blue. Never have. I think that’s a shame.

76. OilLeak says:

We’re doomed to mediocrity in that case then. The skilled D are vital to a teams offense these days.

OilLeak: We’re doomed to mediocrity in that case then. Theskilled D are vital to a teams offense these days.

It’s always been like this. Oiler fans booed Coffey. The concept of defense is so strong for Oiler fans–I blame Fogolin, that guy was a lion–that the guy who can transition like Letang or Lubo doesn’t get the appreciation he should due to defensive lapses.

I’m hoping Justin Schultz changes things.

78. BlacqueJacque says:

I think Letang has his eye specifically set on Toronto.

You don’t turn down an 8y/$56M contract if money is the consideration. You don’t leave the Penguins if you want the best chance to win the Cup. I know that Letang is officially asking for more money, but I think that’s a polite way of asking to get out.

If he actually does want $8M/per, he’s crazy. He could get it, but at what cost?

Don’t these asshole players realize that you have to build a team around them if you want to win?

79. gr8one says:

Racki:
    I like Letang, but here’s the way I see it..

That #7 pick could wind up doing a few things for us:
    provide a rock solid d-,an
    provide a good 2-way center on line 2 (high hopes of this with Monahan)
    Or, it could be a dud.

Couldn’t agree more with this.

I really like Letang, I believe he is one of the best D-Men in the league and will be a perennial Norris candidate for many years and he’s still young…but I don’t want him as an Oiler for one major reason. Health. Well, and apparently money now too…but if it wasn’t for his health issues I’d even consider backing a money truck up to him.

I’ve had him on my keeper league for the past two years and it’s so frustrating having all that he offers and then he gets hurt, repeat, wash, rinse. He’s relatively small and very feisty and I think that’s the problem, I’m skeptical his body can hold up to the style of game he plays. We don’t need anymore players like Whitney where we’re constantly waiting for them to heal, even if they are elite talents. Even with his elite talent and feistiness because he is smaller he still will never have that intimidation factor that makes forwards think twice about putting their heads down.

I feel like we already have a Letang-Lite in Jultz…and in another season or two maybe not even “Lite”.

I actually think Phaneuf is a better overall fit for the Oilers because he brings more balance.

If I’m MacT I go HAAAARD after Lecavalier(I can hear the angels distantly) and if that somehow by miracle pans out and the the other rumors I’ve heard have merit and it all shakes down something like Vinny gets signed, Boyd Gordon gets signed, Clutterbuck is acquired, Hemmer is traded with the 7th to Carolina for the fifth pick and we either luck out and get Barkov(angels) or secure Monahan, and as part of enticing Vinny to come we also acquire his buddy who’s up for grabs Ryan Malone and Gagner gets traded for Phaneuf and we go to camp next year with a roster that looks even close to…

Hall Vinny Eberle
    Malone Nuge Yakupov
    PRV Gordon Clutterbuck
    Smyth Monahan Brown

Phaneuf Jultz
    Smid Petry
    Belov/Klefbom/Ranger/Potter

As LT would say.

Music.

80. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Coffey. Loved the player. I remember coveting the hell out of this card in the early 90s

I’d love a puck moving D, love to have Letang. But I’m wary of all that cheese and whether he’d actually come here.

For myself, I’ve long since — since Pronger left really — tried to covet the underbelly of the top players in the hopes that I won’t chase Weber et al into the night of the dead.

Letang just seems like a pipe dream to me. Tyutin (or equivalent) seems like a realistic target.

Rom: GREAT card. That’s the thing, right? I’m in love with Letang’s game, but I don’t want to overspend on him and then lose Yak City or Nuge or someone else. A

And what if Monahan is something else?

82. Romulus Apotheosis says:

gr8one: Jultz

I could get down with that.

Nultz.

Jetry

Sags

83. gr8one says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Heh, I wish I could take credit for that coinage, but alas, I picked it up(stole?) from one of my fellow POTF’ers.

84. BlacqueJacque says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I could get down with that.

Nultz.

Jetry

Sags

Aww, that sounds like the NBA =/ I don’t want to be derivative.

I mean, I don’t want to talk about TH4 or JE14 either.

85. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: GREAT card.

That year. Something about that fat, clunky wooden stick really appealed to me. I wanted all the Oilers from that year. But I remember struggling to find Coffey through a few card shows. To be honest, I can’t remember if I ever got the card. I’ll have to check one day. Those damn cards are somewhere.

86. Racki says:

gr8one: Couldn’t agree more with this.

Hall Vinny Eberle
    Malone Nuge Yakupov
    PRV Gordon Clutterbuck
    Smyth Monahan Brown

Phaneuf Jultz
    Smid Petry
    Belov/Klefbom/Ranger/Potter

As LT would say.

Music.

Best lineup I’ve seen anywhere in a long time.. or so I figure. I kind of wonder if it will be too pricey though (haven’t done the math). I’d add Emery as backup (since he hopefully would be cheapish).

I am thinking Lecavalier will cost a lot to bring here though, but damn if he wouldn’t solve our center woes.

87. SpotTheLoon says:

I agree with you LT. I don’t really understand why skilled dmen seem to divide Oil fans. They always have. I mean, say what you want about Letang but he is a highly skilled dman. And yet people tear him down and seem to overemphasis his shortcomings while dismissing his attributes.

Bring back Gary Lariviere, I say! I will never forget him being interviewed on an Oilers telecast (back in the ITV days) by Tim Spelliscy. Spelliscy was asking Lariviere about having been sat out for a couple games by the coach and his reaction to that and now being back in the line up. Lariviere said something to the effect of “Well, it doesn’t do any good to bitch about it. I want to be a good team player so I don’t bitch about playing time and just make sure I’m ready when I get the call.” I remember Spelliscy looking like he was about to swallow his tongue.

88. Smarmy says:

Captain Happy: I’m not worried at all.

It’ll be about St. Louis by then?

Hall contract bad… holy shit that’s a lazy troll.

89. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Cory West just tweeted 2h

Bob Mackenzie just said on NHL Network in the US that the Gags deal may not get done and he may get moved. Gags wants NTC tough deal to make

91. Racki says:

Cory West just tweeted2h

Interesting. I like Gagner, but I like the Oilers policy on not handing out NTC’s a lot more (yah they’ve given some, like Horc, but it’s not common).

Plus if this Gagner for Phaneuf deal actually has legs, I would do it. I have always been a big backer of Gagner, but you have to put the team before the player. Phaneuf or someone of that ilk would do more for this team than Gagner as a shakey center or on the wing where we could replace him with a big man with skill.

92. russ99 says:

If true, well played Mr. Gagner, well played.

Ever since he’s been drafted every good player either has or will soon be moved,

If you like him so much and he’s such a vital part of the core, MacT, give him an NTC.

93. striatic says:

Lowetide: Gags wants NTC tough deal to make

ah, the dreaded NTC.

i actually like NTCs if they are for the first couple of years in the contract, but i think beyond that they are terrible for the signing team.

94. wheatnoil says:

I can see why Gagner would ask for a NTC and why MacT wouldn’t want to give it to him. Let’s see if they can split the difference on a limited NTC or if one side will cave. I’m not sure you can give an NTC to your second line centre. Otherwise you end up with too many people on the roster you can’t move if you need to.

95. Hall Awaits says:

Gagner for Gardiner.

96. supernova says:

I would trade a 3 for 1 deal for Letang and sign him to 7.5 million a year deal.

It might take the 7th, Petry and Musil or Pitlick but I do that for high end skill.

Schultz contract right now would be in the shattenkirk range, and the cap will be bouncing back up to the High 60′s after this next season. Salary cap will not be a concern after this year even with Letang at 7.5 million. The most RNH gets is Hall money and that is the ceiling for Yak as well.

If we have the following signed

Hall 6 mill for 7 years
    Eberle 6 million for 7 years
    RNH 6 million for 7 years
    Yak 6 million for 7 years
    Schultz 4.5 for 4 years
    Letang 7.5 million for 8 years.

That’s 36 million for your skill players the cap will be over 70 million when those contracts are all in place.

This would leave in the area of 34 million to pay 16 players. Which is definitely achievable.

I don’t throw out these numbers loosely either I am most likely on the high side of those contracts if we are signing those players to long term contracts over the next 2 seasons will the cap is low.

I also am a active reader of the business side of sport and there is more than enough evidence to show that the cap will be plus 70 million after the next 2 seasons.

Now is the time to strike on a Letang type contract even if it is a massive pay in terms of both salary, term and players.

97. DBO says:

If Gagner wants too much and a NTC, then move him. If it is the Leafs, well i would like to see: Gagner for Kulemin and Gardiner. We get our two way physical LW and a top 4 LH dman who can move the puck. And they either draft Monahan or Lindholm or they move the 7th for a centre right now.

Then make the Hemksy for Smith ++ and sign Gordon. Sure make a play for Lecavalier, but doubt he comes West.

98. OilLeak says:

Looks like the Oilers will have zero returning NHL center if Nuge hasn’t recovered. Scratch trading 7th pick for a dman, the Oilers might need him to play 2nd line minutes right away.

99. slopitch says:

If the Oilers get Letang, he might screwup the pay grid. IE what happens if next year Schultz goes point for point with him? or is Hall ok not being the top paid player?

On the other hand, this is absolutely the summer to lock players in long term. The cap will never be lower.

100. Racki says:

gr8one:

FORWARDS
    Taylor Hall ($6.000m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($5.000m) / Jordan Eberle ($6.000m)
    Ryan Malone ($4.500m) / Ryan N.-Hopkins ($3.775m) / Nail Yakupov ($3.775m)
    Magnus Paajarvi ($1.900m) / Boyd Gordon ($1.600m) / Cal Clutterbuck ($2.500m)
    Ryan Smyth ($2.250m) / Anton Lander ($0.900m) / Mike Brown ($0.737m)

DEFENSEMEN
    Ladislav Smid ($3.500m) / Justin Schultz ($3.775m)
    Anton Belov ($1.525m) / Jeff Petry ($1.750m)
    Dion Phaneuf ($6.500m) / Corey Potter ($0.775m)

GOALTENDERS
    Devan Dubnyk ($3.500m)
    Ray Emery ($2.250m)

This works out to a cap hit of $62.5M, so it would work.. do you think the contract values for re-signings (Paajarvi, Clutterbuck) and UFA signings I suggested make sense? Lecavalier strikes me as a wild card. Will be many teams after him, to the point where it probably would be tough to compete with.

101. OilClog says:

Offer Sam 4.75×5 with a limited no trade.

If would be interesting if NTC were like bonuses, making players reach certain standards barring injury.

102. tsg says:

I’m a fan of Sam Gagner, and one of those who believes you can win a cup with Sam as your second line center if he’s surrounded with the right wingers. But if the sticking point is a NTC I wouldn’t have a problem with moving him. An NTC completely handcuffs a team and I am fully on board with the teams policy of not handing them out. Especially to a second line player.

103. Racki says:

supernova:

I saw a tweet earlier today that was relaying a comment from someone (I think a GM) that thought the cap could even go up to 75M right away. The person tweeting that thought it was very unlikely though. I’d say so too, but 70M sounds quite likely.

104. hags9k says:

Huge blunder by Tambo not getting a long termer done with Gags last summer and here we are…

I hope the org holds steady on 2 things. No NTCs and nobody gets more dough than captain Hall.

Can’t blame the kid for wanting the NTC, he has been rumour-milled into this corner for the last few years. I’m sure it’s tough to live with the constant possibility of being traded, but surely he will be getting north of 4.5M over 5 years to deal with it, so no sympathy here.

I’d pass on the Letang trade proposed by Gregor. I think he is a true elite D, top 10-12 in the world, but for the reported 7.75/8 he is asking for he can take a walk. That’s a huge price to pay for him in free agency considering the quality of teammates and the injury history let alone having to part with Petry and #7 also. And as I said, nobody gets more cake than 4. So no thanks. Why wouldn’t he want to stay in Pitt anyways? Does he hate hockey?

105. Tarkus says:

Kris11:

Dwight King for the LA Kings.

Jim Brown (and perhaps other Browns) for the Cleveland Browns.

That’s all I’ve got.

hags9k:

Doug Armstrong just did the same thing Tambo was forced to do with Gagner with Patrick Berglund. Young players confident in their own abilities are NOT going to sign away their future.

Tambellini successful signed Hemsky, Hall, Eberle, and Smid to contracts without trade limitation clauses. Even Ryan Smyth.

The agent’s union is testing MacT. Mac…you just have to say NO to NTC’s, or every agent will insist on them for their player.

107. Bruce McCurdy says:

Kris Letang’s RECENT injury history:

Transactions / Injuries / Suspensions

2013/04/23
    Missed 1 game (food poisoning).

2013/04/22
    Food poisoning, day-to-day.

2013/04/11
    Missed 6 games (lower body injury).

2013/03/27
    Lower body injury, injured reserve.

2013/03/26
    Missed 3 games (lower body injury).

2013/03/25
    Lower body injury, injured reserve.

2013/03/19
    Lower body injury, day-to-day.

2013/02/13
    Missed 3 games (lower body injury).

2013/02/10
    Lower body injury, injured reserve.

2013/02/07
    Lower body injury, day-to-day.

2013/01/04
    Signed with the SKA St. Petersburg (KHL).

2012/04/01
    Missed 3 games (lower body injury).

2012/03/27
    Lower body injury, day-to-day.

2012/03/15
    Missed 5 games (concussion).

2012/03/03
    Concussion, day-to-day.

2012/01/19
    Missed 21 games (concussion).

2011/12/05
    Concussion, injured reserve.

2011/11/29
    Broken nose, day-to-day.

108. Young Oil says:

For me, there is absolutely no way I would offer Gagner a NTC for the price and term he is wanting. I think he has shown us what he is capable of (~50 point scorer, with poor face offs and limited two way ability), and honestly, if he wants more than 4.5M AND a NTC, he is better off being traded immediately for a quality defenceman, especially if we are getting one of Lindholm/Monohan, or if that Hemsky for Z.Smith trade happens.

As for trading him, would something like Gagner to Toronto for A) Gardiner or B) something like Franson + 21st overall be plausible? I’d be willing to add a prospect or pick to the Franson trade if needed. Then, somebody like Gauthier could be targeted, and that greatly improves our center depth looking forward.

One more question though: If Colorado doesn’t draft Jones, and he slips to one of Florida, Tampa, or Nashville, does that make defenders like Kulikov, Hedman, and Josi plausible people that could be traded? If so, Gagner could fit in well with all three of those teams, and there could be a deal there, if that is even remotely possible.

109. striatic says:

Young Oil: Bottom line, in my opinion, a quality young defender lends much more value to the team than an overpaid Gagner with a NTC.

ok. so who is going to play second line C?

110. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Cullen’s excellent analysis on the Avs-Flames trade.

hope he does this for every substantial trade, or at least for the substantial trades involving Can. teams.

111. Romulus Apotheosis says:

striatic: ok. so who is going to play second line C?

O’Marra?

Brule?

Cogliano?

112. Moose says:

I just watched the Bobby Mac bit on NHL Network, and it sounded more like the sticking point was that Gagner actually isn’t eligible to have a NTC until next year (when he becomes UFA), so he doesn’t want to take a hometown discount without assurances that he’ll be here to see this thing out. So even if he signed a long term deal, the NTC wouldn’t kick in until next year. Not sure why you’d sign him and trade him next year, but I’m sure he realizes that he’d be pretty easy to move and an attractive asset if he was signed on a long-term, hometown discount contract without a NTC.

McKenzie certainly said MacT was considering all his options and Gagner could be in play, he just pointing out the push and pull from each sides perspective.

113. supernova says:

Racki,

I have seen many estimates for the next few years, they will be rolling in more formally over the next few weeks now that the playoffs are done.

A few big factors that will jump the HRR are new Canadian TV contract, and the plethora of outdoor games.

Once we now what percantage of HRR was produced this season we will have a good template for the next salary cap number, but the big bump will come the following couple of years, when the new TV contract kicks in and the HRR from outdoor games are collected.

It isn’t outlandish to think we will see something like this.
    13-14 $64.3
    14-15 $68
    15-16 $72
    16-17 $76

Those numbers roll very nicely with a team full of kings and queens that “should” get their long term extensions by 14-15.

This is a ideal summer to add a significant cap hit outside of our current group of hall, ebs, yak, RNH, and Schultz.

We will have the room to add 10 to 12 million in long term “outside” money if we do it right.

My scenario would be to add Fedor and a big free agent forward, I would be OK with even throwing $6 million a year for 3 years at one, but we could do it with Letang and a 3 million dollar free agent.

114. FastOil says:

Thinking about it, Gagner’s Knights wingers have the same issues as him. The difference being Kane’s ability covers his erratic play.

I wouldn’t give too many extras other than money to a guy who has not given the team confidence despite cherry minutes and quality line mates. Other young Oiler players don’t have a NTC. Seems like he wants a move. For 1-2, yup.

115. Young Oil says:

striatic,

Not Gagner. Not for what he’s asking for. I see your point though, I realize whatever center we draft, unless a miracle happens, he will not be able to be 2nd line center for at least a couple of years. That being said, I would do one of two things:

1. Arcobello between Hall and Eberle/Yakupov. They had a ton of chemistry in OKC, and Arcobello deserves a proper look. The chemistry between Hall and Eberle, as well as Hall and Yakupov is so good in my opinion, that any center you put between them will be able to have success. Arcobello, while not as good as Gagner, comes at a fraction of the price, and fills a similar role, and eventually can be replaced with a two way center coming from this years draft. Signing Gagner to a long term with a NTC takes away that opportunity.

2. If that doesn’t work out, I would attempt sign either Filppula or Lecavalier to a massive one year contract, to fill that need immediately, and give the center we pick a year to grow. Oilers won’t be tight against the cap next year, so money for next year isn’t a huge issue. It will be a few years down the road, especially if Gagner is making anywhere near 5M with a NTC. A contract like that would almost definitely prevent us from keeping at least one of RNH/Yak/Schultz. Its not that I hate Gagner, I just value those three players so much more, and the money Gagner wants immediately makes me want to trade him in order to retain other players.

If there was a deal for reasonable money (maybe a 3 year, 12M contract), I would keep him, but I don’t see him taking that.

116. striatic says:

Young Oil: Arcobello between Hall and Eberle/Yakupov.

you want to bet a season on that?

Young Oil: If that doesn’t work out, I would attempt sign either Filppula or Lecavalier to a massive one year contract

how do you figure out if Arcobello as second line C doesn’t work out in the next couple of weeks? because the guys you mention will be signed by then.

117. Andropod says:

So apparently Letang wants to play in the Center of the Universe, a little east of Edmonton – and a little less east of Winnipeg…..

118. Racki says:

Honestly, I’d stall the Gagner dealing if he’s looking for a NTC and the salary is high… just long enough to see if Stephen Weiss (or Lecavalier, but I think that’s wishful thinking) would head this way for a similar deal. Still think he’d be a better 2nd line C. If that doesn’t work out, then maybe you try a bit harder on the Gagner deal.

I think even with Gagner on the team we still need a 2nd line center. Great offensive guy… great player for the powerplay, but I think he’d be a much better winger. I think we’d be doing this team a disservice with him as the 2nd line C still.

I do really like Gagner though (took me a long time to concede he wasn’t a #1C, never mind a #2 C), so I hate to say that kind of stuff.. just think that it’s a hindrance to have him as our #2C on 5 on 5.

119. justDOit says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Feels like a Monk Montgomery kind of night:

Love that solo, and then it goes into a cool groove that reminds me a lot of early Zappa. I’ve heard the name, but never checked him out – will definitely explore his discography.

120. Young Oil says:

striatic,

But sorry, I didn’t word my response properly, I meant try one or the other, not the first then the second! I would attempt to sign Lecavalier/Filppula first, then try Arcobello (or any other center who is playing well and deserves a shot).

Another option that I would be happy with is trading a package centering Gagner for an already established 2 way center, such as Dubinski, who could help mentor our younger centers.

Just wondering, would you sign Gagner to something like a 5 year, 25M contract with a NTC?

121. Young Oil says:

Racki:

You’ve said it better than I ever could, I couldn’t agree more!

122. Racki says:

The Fourth Period has a post up about the Oilers and who they are shopping (Horcoff, Hemsky, and possibly Gagner, as we already know). They mention the Oilers want a young D for Gagner (if a deal can’t be done with him). They said the “Oilers had been linked to Phoenix Coyotes defenseman Keith Yandle”. I think that would be a good choice and cheaper option than Letang or Phaneuf.

123. striatic says:

Young Oil: I would honestly, Gagner as #2C would yield similar results in my opinion. He hasn’t shown a ton of chemistry with many players since his rookie season and “The Kid Line”.

you do remember that Sam Gagner was 17th among all centres in the NHL for scoring this season, right?

124. Young Oil says:

striatic,

Yes, but he was also last among Oiler centers in +/-, and barely contributed in the last 10 games, when we were in the playoff hunt. Three secondary assists if I remember correctly. The Oilers aren’t lacking offense, they are lacking forwards, particularly centers, with a 2 way game.

I just don’t see Gagner fitting into the Oiler’s long term plans, which is why, in my opinion, we should trade him now, while his value is the highest.

The NTC is just a total deal breaker for me, as well as paying him 5M.

125. hags9k says:

striatic,

Exactly. I still believe he will get better in the circle and defensively. 23.

126. Captain Obvious says:

I have no interest in Bolland. On the last year of his deal and gets paid well for what he gives. I’d take him if he was free or cost minimal prospects but he’s nothing special. Kruger and Frolik are better hockey players.

Letang is a legitimate star. However if he costs near free agent money plus a ransom in young players it is hard to come out ahead. The Hurricanes deal for J. Staal was terrible for the Hurricanes. Why repeat that mistake?

If I was a general manager I’d trade players going into the last season of their deal almost every time. Other teams don’t seem to properly price in the fact that they are only really getting one year.

The key to whale hunting is not paying the ransom and still getting the whale. The great deals of the past decade, the Pronger deal, the Thornton deal, were great precisely because they gave up so little. If you trade away half the team the best that can happen is break even. There is no upside.

As to Gagner, it all depends on what you can get in return. A trade for Gardiner, for example, would be awesome.

There are veterans on the free agent market that can help. I heard that Minnesota was not resigning Matt Cullen. He should be #1 on the Oilers list. He’s still a very good player and will likely be comparatively cheap. Clark MacArthur would also be nice. That’s the level of free agent we should be targeting. It is where the bargains can be found.

By contrast, say no to Filpulla. He’ll cost more than Cullen and he is a worse player. Avoid Bozak like the plague.

On the RFA front Del Zotto is mediocre, nowhere near in the league of the other young D you hear mentioned. I’d much rather have Stralman from the Rangers (to say nothing of McDonough who is a legitimate star right now). Also avoid Chris Stewart.

If we wanted to steal someone relatively unknown it would be to get Wiercioch from Ottawa.

127. rickithebear says:

Goal diff is all that maters to winning.

Kris letang is a 23 even point damn who gets points padded on the pp.
    But his gd affect is no more important than petry,s PK affect.
    Letang is a +18 GD Dman.

Petry is th only Dman top 40 in
    eVGA
    EvA
    pKGA
    Hits/Gm
    Blok/Gm
    Tia/Gm
    The only Dman in the game.

Petry is a 19 GD Dman without pp time.
    He plays pp on 2nd unit and he ends up with a far superior GD affect.

Letang wants 8M
    Petry gets 1.75M

So people think giving up the 7th and Dman with a more positive affect on winning
    For an Dman who is getting money for a slightly superior ability for 3.5 min a game.

This is fucking nuts.

128. Moose says:

Racki:

The problem with stalling on dealing Gagner is he has arbitration rights, which he can elect on July 5th, I believe (correct me if I’m wrong). So you couldn’t really wait for someone else without the risk of losing all the negotiating power. He could get a 1yr award (UFA after) and have all the leverage.

129. gcw_rocks says:

I like Letang, but if he wants Weber money then the Oilers should pass. They are likely a couple of years away from serious cap challenges as it is.

Go get Kulikov. He will cost you less in terms of assets and dollars.

130. hodgkins says:

In light of LT’s post about Miroslav Satan over at ON…

I think that dealing Gagner right now is a terrible idea. I look at the fact that he’s been such a consistent scorer and he’s still only 23 (!) show that he is probably going to get better in the next few years. He has warts, but let’s give him a few years (months?) of stability before we get on his case about his lack of defense. Again, I feel like the Oilers are probably in a position of dealing away the best player in a trade.

Did I mention that he’s only 23?

131. GordM says:

Smith/Bucky retained as per Rishaug’s twitter.

I know very little about what makes a good NHL assistance coach. I do know it’s extremely rare for one to survive this many head coaches.

Didn’t Smith get hired because he Ran into Lowe at an airport?

Or is keeping them a ‘bold’ move?!?!?!

132. Shau-co says:

hodgkins,

Agreed! Many players take a step forward around 23-25 years of age. This is the worst time to trade Gagner. We should instead focus on trading high with our assets like Bowman is trying to do with Bolland right now…

133. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

misposted

134. Andropod says:

Letang was quoted on one of the other blogs that he would like to play for the Leafs. So isn’t all of this excitement over him a little misplaced?