OILERS AT 7: DARNELL NURSE

Oilers draft a big, tough defenseman. Highest pick for a blue in exactly forever. 6.04, 185. Tough defender, quick has some offense but this is a defender first when he arrives in the NHL. I had him #9 overall, saying “he’s an excellent prospect, 2-way guy with plenty of room to grow.”

• Bob McKenzie: 9
  • Redline: 8
  • Craig Button: 8
  • ISS: 6
  • Craig Button: Big, strong and competitive and he imposes himself on opponents. Very strong skater with quickness, agility and balance and he uses it very effectively to close on plays defensively and to move play ahead and out of his defensive zone. Has expanded his overall game and especially his offensive game to the point where he is demonstrating the ability of a top minute defenceman who can contribute in all areas. Darnell is a very well rounded and dependable player who plays with a competitive spirit that says ‘I’m here to do whatever is necessary to win.’ The type who can ‘log’ lots of important minutes in a game and these are valuable players in the NHL.
  • International Scouting Services “Not only is Nurse an excellent 1 on 1 defender but he adds an intense mean streak to put fear in the opposition. He shows no hesitation in doing what it takes to win from blocking shots to dropping the mitts, Darnell was born to lead. Offensively he brings an arsenal of weapons whether it’s using his vision to find his man up ice or jumping up into the rush he continues to develop in these areas. He shows excellent mobility on the point and has great quickness for his size which makes him very effective in PP situations. He has a heavy shot but could stand to use it more often. Has all the tools to be a franchise defender and captain down the road.”
  • Kyle Woodlief — USA Today: Next up is the huge and rapidly improving Darnell Nurse, who is the most naturally physical defender available. He made good strides in his offensive game and has a heavy shot that is an asset on the power play. He likes to dish out punishment along the walls and easily separates his check from the puck. Nurse also scores off the charts in both his character and intelligence levels, and at a gangly 6-5, already has the footwork of a much smaller man.
  • Corey Pronman — Hockey Prospectus Nurse had a considerable amount of hype at the beginning of the season, and he has exceeded all expectations. He is a gifted physical player who has all the natural tools a scout could want from a defenseman. He has slowly begun to emerge as a two-way player, but his value comes from his high-end work in his own end. Nurse is a tall defender with an aggressive edge and the strength to consistently push his checks off pucks. He has above-average mobility, especially considering his larger size. With his wingspan, he is able to make a multitude of plays in the defensive end. I have heard previous concerns from scouts about his offensive upside, but he took a step forward in that element this season. He will not be a dynamic offensive threat, but he can move the puck at an above-average level, and join the rush on occasion. He projects as a point man on a second power play unit, while logging the tough defensive minutes. Nurse’s next level of progression will have to come from his below-average shot.
  • OHL PROSPECTS: 1. Darnell Nurse – Defenseman – Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds
    At this point, Nurse is definitely my top prospect available from the OHL. All season long, I wrestled back and forth between Monahan and Nurse. But it’s clearly Nurse now IMO. He possesses so much potential at the next level. He could be a perennial Norris candidate IMO. The thing I like most about Nurse is how much he improved this season from the last. You need to look at that progression and think about just how good he could be, if he continues to tap into his athletic bloodlines (father was a CFL player), and continues to improve. He’s certainly a potential dynamo at both ends of the ice. His size (6’5, pushing 200lbs), makes him an asset in the defensive end. As does his skating ability. He’s incredibly difficult to get around and he’s physical enough to intimidate. As he gets stronger, I expect his physical game to become more consistent and more effective. He certainly has the mentality to be a bruiser. In the defensive end, he’s still learning a bit. He can get caught out of position at times, but with strong coaching I think this improves. Offensively, he went through the biggest transformation this season. He looked very poised and confident with the puck and took chances in leading and joining the rush. His skating ability makes him a threat offensively. He’s also got an absolute cannon of a shot that will only get better as he gets stronger. His play on the powerplay is improving. This year, with Ryan Sproul and Colin Miller on the point, Nurse was relegated to the 2nd unit. Next year, it’ll be his show to run and I expect very big things from him. When all is said and done, Nurse has the potential to be one of those defenseman who doesn’t really have any holes in his game. He’s the complete package and I think he’s the 2nd defenseman off the board after Seth Jones.
  • Stats (OHL): 68, 12-29-41
  • NHLE: 82, 4-11-15

The brilliant Eric T. also has some interesting info in regard to opposition faced (Nurse faced 2nd toughs) and it is here.

319 Responses to "OILERS AT 7: DARNELL NURSE"

Newer Comments »
  1. Mark-LW says:

Ugh.

2. russ99 says:

Hello Nurse!!

Great pick. Hope they didn’t pick him to deal him.

3. Ribs says:

Now I just want to know if they would have taken him instead of Monahan if Calgary hadn’t.

4. Lucinius says:

Interesting to see how.. divided we all are on this pick. A lot thinking this is great.. a lot not overly pleased.

5. skidplate says:

No, they would have taken Monahan I am sure.

6. hags9k says:

Ribs,

Of course they would have. Monahan sucks!!

7. pboy says:

6-4 and an excellent skater. Once he fills out he’s going to be a monster.

8. bookje says:

Lucinius:

I think its because the most likely reality is that he is going to be a functional defender who ends up being a #3 on the team for a long time. As a GM, this is a critical component, but as a fan, we want the guy with YouTube calibre highlights!

9. Marc says:

I’m very happy with this pick. When Gregor went through 20 years of 6-10 picks he noted that only 1 in 9 forwards taken turned into an elite player, but 1 in 4 defencemen did.

This was the safe pick and I’m happy we made it.

10. BlacqueJacque says:

Lucinius,

I think it’s a great pick. Partly a positional need one, because where are you going to slot Nichushkin (after Ebs and Yak?), partly because I think Nurse is going to be a great defender.

Min owns Snow’s soul getting Niterrierieririder for Clutterbuck.

I think Nurse looks like a very good hockey player.

Hope I don’t see him in the NHL for a couple years.

12. jake70 says:

Clutterbuck gone looks like to NYI.

13. skidplate says:

Visions of Nurse pounding Sven Baertschi, Monahan and every other Flame makes me smile.

14. Lois Lowe says:

Whelp! I am not as happy with the outcome as if they had taken a C but he was clearly high on the Oilers draft board and there must have been questions about the ‘enigmatic’ Russian.

15. JohnnyRocket says:

I’m okay with this pick as long as they let him develop slowly. Ideally when we’re competing in the conference finals he’ll be slid in on our 3rd line and be a second/first line guy by our first cup.

No Clutterbuck. :(. If Niño was the cost, it might have been too high.

16. Lucinius says:

Woodguy,

Yeah.. posted in the other thread by mistake on that trade. I think Nino wanted out so that may have forced Snow’s hand a bit, but.. god damn. If I’m an Isles fan I’m not happy.

17. BlacqueJacque says:

YEAH! Our division got worse.

Sweet.

18. skidplate says:

TRADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    FUCK! WOW. Overpay by Edmonton if the rumors were true.

19. Jon K says:

Well, hopefully the player meets the sky high expectations of the Oilers’ fan base. It can be hard sometimes to justify a pick this high in the draft where the player type does not have offensive upside as a strong trait.

20. Lucinius says:

Wow. JUST THE 9th!? Wow.

21. jake70 says:

Roberto must be drowning himself in alcohol.

22. Rondo says:

Vancouver will pick Nicushkin

23. skidplate says:

Luongo can not possibly stay in Van, can he?

24. Wolfie says:

Wow

25. gogliano says:

Didn’t we offer Hopkins++?

I like the selection of Nurse, despite Nichushkin’s still being available (and he would have been my choice) and Ristolainen also being ranked ahead on my list. Nurse gives the Oilers a very large defender with two-way ability and there’s zero pressure ton hurry him along.

A solid, solid choice.

27. Lois Lowe says:

I trust Lamorillo’s judgement. That is such a small price to pay for Schneider.

28. Ducey says:

Nurse profiles as a guy with size who will use it, and who can really skate and defend.

He profiles as a top 2 Dman. The only way to get them is to draft them.

Gillis is a deadman. He gives up the 7th, a second and a prospect and just takes the 9th?? Wow.

29. spoiler says:

International Scouting Services (Ranked No. 6 overall)

Kyle Woodlief — USA Today

Corey Pronman — Hockey Prospectus

Nurse had a considerable amount of hype at the beginning of the season, and he has exceeded all expectations. He is a gifted physical player who has all the natural tools a scout could want from a defenseman. He has slowly begun to emerge as a two-way player, but his value comes from his high-end work in his own end. Nurse is a tall defender with an aggressive edge and the strength to consistently push his checks off pucks. He has above-average mobility, especially considering his larger size. With his wingspan, he is able to make a multitude of plays in the defensive end. I have heard previous concerns from scouts about his offensive upside, but he took a step forward in that element this season. He will not be a dynamic offensive threat, but he can move the puck at an above-average level, and join the rush on occasion. He projects as a point man on a second power play unit, while logging the tough defensive minutes. Nurse’s next level of progression will have to come from his below-average shot.È

30. pboy says:

I’d love to know what Lebrun and Gillis were just talking about.

31. skidplate says:

Scheinder for Horvat???

32. spoiler says:

Im the only draft ranking that has Nichushkin this low too. Just sayin

lol.

33. Rondo says:

I’m surprised Nicushkin has not been picked, his attitude probably did him in.

34. Lois Lowe says:

*pats spolier on the back*

35. jake70 says:

Man Gillis looks uncomfortable.

36. bookje says:

Ducey:

Gillis is a deadman.He gives up the 7th, a second and a prospect and just takes the 9th??Wow.

Not trading in your division is meaningless and stupid. It’s optics and nothing more. It certainly isn’t worth the difference in the trade for Vancouver. Gillis looks to be adopting the Calgary model.

37. Professor Q says:

Well…shit. Bo to Van…congrats to him but that sucks for Edmonton!

38. Marc says:

Was mildly disappointed that Calgary didn’t go off the board (thought they still have 2 more picks, so there’s still time).

I love the fact that Vancouver now have put their goaltending eggs in the basket of a man who really doesn’t want to be there any more though.

EDIT: And Vancouver went off the board too! It’s like Christmas.

39. prairieschooner says:

Me and Gene are happy with Nurse.

MacT has avoided a land mine

DD is breathing a bit easier and I am happy with that too

40. speeds says:

So, if you are MacT, do you offer your 2014 1st and a 2nd or two now to draft Nichushkin?

41. OilClog says:

all that drama for Vancouver and Bo Horvat is the result… Wow maybe Tambi is the next Vancouver Canucks General Manager.. I mean.. it’s possible right.

42. blackadder says:

Nichuskin falling victim to the enigmatic Russian syndrome? still there at #10 is a shock
    . Would’ve preferred him to Nurse, but MacTivish’s talking about character before anything else with Nurse suggests they found Nichuskin lacking.

43. Jon K says:

Rondo:
    spoiler,

More info on Nurse

That’s a pretty glowing review. Reasons to be positive, for sure.

44. skidplate says:

speeds,

45. bookje says:

Gillis – “Roberto maybe doesn’t want to play here, but that’s ok, we will work it out – I don’t see any problem with retaining a player who doesn’t want to play in our city.” (Paraphrased).

46. speeds says:

I would have picked Nichushkin, and traded down if I was going to take Nurse, but I do think Nurse is an excellent prospect.

47. bookje says:

prairieschooner:

DD is breathing a bit easier and I am happy with that too

I suspect that DD isn’t feeling great about this. That’s probably ok given that he has done better in the past when he is pushed a little.

48. bookje says:

speeds:

Trades are hard in real life.

49. skidplate says:

Is he limping?

50. Chris says:

Nishuskin to Dallas, Great pick up for them I think. They need some talent at forward.

As far as Nurse goes, I kind of hoped we’d get Lindholm or Monohan but we could use a strapping defenseman. If he develops well we could have a pillar on defense in a couple years. Organizationally we sure have alot of defense on the farm. Hopefully we’re looking at goalies and forwards in the second round.

51. spoiler says:

Buffalo could well have taken Nurse next.

52. Thinker says:

He is maybe a three. That is the problem. Dmen are all over the place in the first round. It’s only worth the risk if the man is a franchise d.

53. Lucinius says:

skidplate,

No, he just walks like that.

54. BlacqueJacque says:

speeds,

I think the Sabres had Nurse ahead of Ristolainen and the Oilers preferred Nurse, too. Nurse played in Seault, where the Sabres could get a good look at him.

55. Lois Lowe says:

Schadenfreude at Vancouver right now so hard. Next season is going to be AWESOME!

56. skidplate says:

BlacqueJacque,

I agree, I think Nurse was going next regardless.

57. bookje says:

I would love to see @strombone1 make an announcement on Twitter that he is considering retirement.

58. Gerta Rauss says:

I’m still digesting this pick-I hadn’t considered them taking a D at 7.

It’s a safe pick, lots of upside, but I’m a little underwhelmed.

59. Chris says:

Yea you have to think you could get more for Schnieder than Bo Horvat.

60. wordbird says:

“Edmonton’s package was bigger…” – Pierre Maguire

61. Chris says:

Luong has millions of reasons to stay exactly where he is bookje.

62. spoiler says:

Schneider was worst case scenario to me, and Nichushkin 2nd worst case scenario (I had 5 players ranked better than him, including Nurse).

Very happy to have seen things work out as they have.

I expect Canucks went for the NJ deal because Monahan and Lindholm were off the board and were pretty sure they could get Schneider out of their division and still get Horvat.

63. skidplate says:

Chris,

Yup, Van got screwed. Life is good :)

64. Ducey says:

I am still astonished at Gillis’ behaviour.

He says he is going to trade Lou on multiple occassions. Dithers for close to 2 yrs. Then trades Schneider for less than his value just to screw the Oilers??

How does this guy have a job?

65. spoiler says:

Thinker:

He is ät worst a 3.

66. OilClog says:

I think it’s more Roberto doesn’t want to play for Gillis then the Canucks… wow.. in a matter of a few moments.. Vancouver just became the Islanders of the west. We are SAVED!

Gerta Rauss:
    I’m still digesting this pick-I hadn’t considered them taking a D at 7.

It’s a safe pick, lots of upside, but I’m a little underwhelmed.

All the lists had him in that range, the Oilers clearly felt he was a very strong option (MacT said as much during the question/answer period with ticket holders) and they certainly need to improve the blue.

The downside is that he’s a couple of years away, but that’s also the good thing. No need to rush him.

68. spoiler says:

wordbird:
    “Edmonton’s package was bigger…” – Pierre Maguire

Because Maguire.

69. skidplate says:

Captain `Not So`Happy can`t possibly turn this into something good for the Dys

70. eidy says:

if luongo retires instead of staying with vancouver, what would happen to the cap hit?

71. Nicholas says:

So, with Nurse on board with Klefbom, Gernat, Marincin, etc this has to mean Gagner gets resigned, right? If they’d got Monahan maybe they try him there next year, but even with Gagner’s deficiencies it’s not like they have any option other than to play him as the 2C.

Best case scenario is a slight overpay with no NTC and hope they can turn other assets into a centre upgrade down the road.

72. fifthcartel says:

Are D prospects are absolute giants.

73. spoiler says:

Lois Lowe:

Actually this is more Smallenfreudening.

74. bookje says:

Captain – are you still Happy? Are the Canucks still a model franchise?

75. BlacqueJacque says:

Nurse played against better forwards than Jones or Zadorov did, and in a league that attracts more offensive talent than the Dub.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2013/6/29/4478064/chl-forward-usage-draft-data – near the bottom of the post

76. pboy says:

Very happy right now. Nurse will be a cornerstone player and Gillis stopped MacT from overpaying grossly for Schneider.

The Oilers now are EXTREMELY LIKELY to trade a defensive prospect. They have too many now, and most of their top prospects are D

78. knighttown says:

Now we wait and pray a guy like Gauthier falls. Pieces aren’t lining up well but this would be an ideal anchor to the oilers 3C position.

79. Gerta Rauss says:

Sure-and if the kid turns into that top pairing beast we need I’ll be cheering loudly.

Not criticizing the pick, it caught me a little off guard, that’s all.

edit-and yeah, having a surplus of D prospects is a good thing to have.

80. bill needle says:

Looks like another year of Dubnyk. Sigh.

BlacqueJacque:

Very interesting. Thanks for this.

82. Rondo says:

LT,

Do you think Oilers are looking to trade for Lazar if he get’s into the 20′s

83. skidplate says:

bill needle,

And I think he will continue to improve.

You can never have too many defense prospects.

85. BlacqueJacque says:

Gernat.

Also, once Marincin comes to Edmonton, can we call him ‘Stretch’?

86. spoiler says:

knighttown:

The way Centers are going, I doubt he will fall far. But I am hoping.

87. Lois Lowe says:

I would think that Marincin is the likely candidate.

88. namflashback says:

Yeah – I’m okay with them always using their early first rounders as foundation talent. Second rounders and later should be the trade currency. Lucky Lou definitely needed a Brodeur replacement – so his move made sense (even if it wasn’t fair value) – but that’s for NJ and VAN to live down.

89. Chris says:

Yea I’m not impressed with Gillis’ handling of his goaltending problem.

Klebom, Nurse and Schultz on the back end is actually looking like a promising future on the back end. Smid and Petry are young enough to be the vetran presence with those fellows…and some of the other kids on the backend may pan out.

90. Ducey says:

MacT is sitting back thinking “Man, these GM’s are dumbasses”.

91. wordbird says:

bill needle:
    Looks like another year of Dubnyk. Sigh.

With a better team in front of him, hopefully.

Rondo:
    LT,

Do you think Oilers are lookingto trade for Lazar if he get’s into the 20′s

Maybe, I think those 2nd rounders are going to be dealt.

93. Chris says:

If you’re NJ you make that deal for Schnieder every day of the week and five times on Sunday. It was a steal!

94. BlacqueJacque says:

namflashback,

Lamoriello has to be among the best GMs in the league, when his owner isn’t pressuring him into stupid deals for scoring Russian wingers.

Crazy good steal from Vancouver.

95. pboy says:

Fucking sweet Lou does it again. He’s the best.

96. bookje says:

Lowetide: Maybe, I think those 2nd rounders are going to be dealt.

I do as well.

97. skidplate says:

WOW, early for Morrissey.

98. Numenius says:

Word is that McT offered a 1st, 2nd, and a prospect for Schneider. I bet the first was 2014, not 7OV 2013.

When asked to explain why he chose NJ, Gillis said he wanted a top 10 pick, which means McT couldn’t have offered the 7.

99. Chris says:

Can we call the Jets reaching for defensemen now something of a habit?

100. Ryan says:

Lordy, just had an amazing lunch and even better mojito at Milestones. Had always just driven by… This restaurant rocks!!

101. jake70 says:

Numenius:

102. knighttown says:

Trouba, Morrissey,Byugflien, Enstrom and Bogosion.

Not enough minutes for all these potential studs. Gagner for Bogosion more realistic?

103. Lucinius says:

Numenius,

From what I heard (and I have no idea how true it is), the Oilers offered the #7, the first second round pick and Lander for Schneider.

104. Jon K says:

BlacqueJacque:

It’s interesting that the Jets “reach” for Morrissey, since that chart seems to show he played top opposition for the obviously successful Knights.

105. Bos8 says:

Klefbom, Schultz, Belov and Nurse plus Smid, Petry and the depth down on the farm. Looks very promising from the back end. One would expect Belov and probably Klefbom to be in play this year. And Nurse knocking on the door next year. I’m feeling much better about this team.

106. Ryan says:

Wow. I blink and Clutterbuck and Schneider are off the board. Scroll up to my bold prediction.

107. BlacqueJacque says:

Jon K,

Size, lesser offense (league-wide), lower potential.

108. spoiler says:

jake70: But then why all the reported disbelief from the Oilers table? (unless it was a 2014 and they (Oilers) thought they might be in the top 10 again next year as well, which hopefully they aren’t)

Ryan Rishaug@TSNRyanRishaug

Told asking price for Schneider to Oilers was the 7, a 2nd and a good young player. High price to trade within division, Oil passed.

109. Numenius says:

Lucinius:
    Numenius,

Like I said, Gillis was asked why he chose NJ over other offers and he said because he wanted a top 10 pick. He also said he wanted to upgrade the team right away. Both points suggest to me that the 1st Edmonton was offering was only next year’s 1st (and I didn’t hear anyway specifying that it was this year’s)

Where was your info from?

Edit: Unless, as Spoiler said, it was Edmonton that passed. Maybe then McT promised next year’s 1st and Gillis said this year’s 1st and that was the end of it.

110. Lucinius says:

Numenius,

My information came from someone who works for the Oilers (but he’s not with the part of the organization that deals directly with hockey). So I have no idea how true it is. He’s been right about a few things.. wrong about others.

111. BlacqueJacque says:

Oh wow, the Sabres are stocking up on defencemen.

112. Lucinius says:

BlacqueJacque,

Not as much as the Isles. Eight straight picks on d-men; you’re bound to get some real good ones if its all you pick, apparently.

113. spoiler says:

Sharks and Wings are flipping picks, sounds like.

114. BlacqueJacque says:

Hooo, well, there goes Lazar.

115. bookje says:

I think people who constantly boo Bettman at these things are idiots.

116. pboy says:

Great combover

117. jake70 says:

bookje:
    I think people who constantly boo Bettman at these things are idiots.

I agree. No fan but geez, get a grip people.

118. Jon K says:

MAybe they take Mirco

119. Jon K says:

Interesting. With the Kennedy trade and Mueller pick, it seems that the Sharks are a team that values analytics.

120. Ducey says:

bookje:
    I think people who constantly boo Bettman at these things are idiots.

Its tradition. The NBA and NFL Comishes get booed just as much. Stern actually had fun with it. He had a line at one point : “I have advised our international fans that booing in the US is a sign of great respect”.

Garry comes across like a guy scolding his kids.

121. Ribs says:

bookje:
    I think people who constantly boo Bettman at these things are idiots.

It’s all in good fun at the start, but yeah, it gets old quick.

122. knighttown says:

Defensemen flying off the board. Unfortunately, so are 2-way centres. All the one dimensional wingers are sliding which is exactly what the oilers don’t need.

123. jb says:

Like the Nurse pick overall, he’s gonna be a solid in 3 years. We need that number 1 anchor still, but our D core could be VERY good in a few years.

A year ago Schneider was the second coming of Christ to Canuck fans , while Luongo was next weeks thrash ready to be thrown out.

Bo Horvat for Cory Schneider? that’s ridiculous. Massive steal for NJ, Vancouver spent years developing the guy, and now he’s just entering his prime.

I can’t wait to see Captain D Happy SF’s take on this. He opens with Horvat >>> Nuge I bet.

124. smellyglove says:

Lukewarm on Nurse.

My realistic ideal situation:

1. Monahan
    2. Deal back and take Horvat (Detroit got #20 + a second rounder for their 18th) ** Obviously the Van deal changes the optics of this
    3. Lindholm/Nurse

Nurse is 3-4 years away from being an impact – like others on this board I say “Use high picks on forwards, the 2nd round is where you make hay on defensive picks”.

Was hoping Lazar would make his way to Edmonton as well – wouldn’t have been unrealistic. Mcneil and Sammuelson had that effect on me too – picked just early, frustrating.

125. Professor Q says:

According to TSN, we selected Nail Yakupov today…

126. PunjabiOil says:

Initially disappointed. Wanted VN.

Like the fact 65% of Darnell’s offence came 5 on 5, and he played the 2nd toughest minutes. Probably a 2nd pairing guy, a tougher Gilbert?

Time will tell.

127. jake70 says:

jb:

Horvat is “tracking well”

128. TheseColoursDontRun says:

Of course Detroit drafts Mantha, man they just do it every year.

129. uni says:

TheseColoursDontRun,

Worst part of that is they moved down, got more assets, and still got their man. Detroit and New Jersey, every damn year haha.

The Nurse selection is “in the range” of where we could have expected hiim to go. Risk averse, and they didn’t draft for need. I think that’s an intelligent bet.

131. Lois Lowe says:

jake70: Horvat is “tracking well”

It’s more likely that he’ll talk up Dale Tallon or Doug Wilson.

132. rich says:

I know it’s still early, but I do wonder what MacT must be thinking right now. He’s put a lot of expectations out there that he’s going to make moves, that it’s not acceptable to “manage by neglect”.

And so far, all he has to show for it is the #7 pick. Not that this was a bad pick.

But perhaps he’s finding it’s much tougher to make a trade than he thought in this league.

The education of a new GM.

133. spoiler says:

Dauphin, Klimchuk might be on the board when the Oil pick next. Heck, maybe even Petan.

134. spoiler says:

Great pick by TO there.

rich:
    I know it’s still early, but I do wonder what MacT must be thinking right now.He’s put a lot of expectations out there that he’s going to make moves, that it’s not acceptable to “manage by neglect”.

And so far, all he has to show for it is the #7 pick.Not that this was a bad pick.

The education of a new GM.

He hasn’t done anything stupid though. It is easy to be stupid after over-promising boldness.

136. speeds says:

knighttown:

They didn’t “need” Eberle at 22 in 2008, that worked out OK.

137. spoiler says:

Bob Stauffer‏@Bob_Stauffer2

*Flyers trying to avoid moving Coburn by trading one of Meszaros or Grossman*

Boo, Philly, boo.

138. spoiler says:

Bob Stauffer‏@Bob_Stauffer

The #Oilers now have 5 left shot D prospects: Nurse, Klefbom, Marincin, Gernat and Musil…will be dealing from a position of strength

139. Lucinius says:

And Calgary goes off the board a bit.

140. Chris says:

Hah…..feaster goes off the board again! He could have had Shincaruk and probably one of Fucale and Jarry. They would have drafted some offense and goaltending but instead they use a first rounder to pick up a second round talent.

141. spoiler says:

Thats the Feaster we know and love.

Feaster doesn’t understand.

143. Marc says:

jake70: Horvat is “tracking well”

My guess is something like:

1. Sedin
    2. Kessler
    3. Schroeder
    4. Some 4th line scrub we’re supposed to be impressed by
    5. Another 4th line scrub we’re supposed to be impressed by
    6. Horvat
    7. Gaunce
    8. Some marginal AHL prospect
    9. Some marginal ECHL prospect

Then:

Lordy!

144. rich says:

@ Godot:

- Well said sir. MacT may not be doing anything bold, but so far no reaches like Feaster just did again.

145. hags9k says:

Very surprised they passed on Shinkaruk!! Let this be their Shane Doan moment!!

146. BlacqueJacque says:

Too bad Feaster wasn’t being Feaster at #6. He could have had Nichushkin!

spoiler: Bob Stauffer‏@Bob_Stauffer

Gernat primarily plays RD. Klefbom can play either. Musil, to a lesser degree, can play either.

148. spoiler says:

Feaster… Happy to pick two guys they had in their top 10.

Bwahahahahaha…

149. uni says:

Feaster or his scouts think they’re the smartest men in the room it seems.

150. PaperDesigner says:

Professor Q:
    According to TSN, we selected Nail Yakupov today…

I’m extremely happy that my team now has two Nail Yakupovs.

151. Lois Lowe says:

Gods bless Jay Feaster. He’s the wildcard Mad Mike this draft needs.

152. spoiler says:

godot10: Gernat primarily plays RD.Klefbom can play either.Musil, to a lesser degree, can play either.

I guess you are missing his point?

153. dessert1111 says:

How is Shinkaruk still on the board? Someone is getting a steal.

154. VOR says:

Wood guy,

In the last thread you said that I wouldn’t,t trade Barkov for our 7th Overall and a 6th rounder. That isn’t,t what I said. I said I would not offer more than a 6th rounder to trade up from 7th OV to 5th. You are the one who kept claiming Barkov would go at 5th OV.

155. knighttown says:

Dammit on Gauthier going. Wanted a dman and a 2-way C. Guess JT Compher is the target now. Or fucale.

I think a few of the power forwards disappear before we go; Hartman and DeLaRose.

156. knighttown says:

Nice day for the Sabres with Rostolainen and Zadorov. Some big fellas back there with Myers.

157. uni says:

Damn, Shinkaruk to the Canucks.

158. Ducey says:

Shinkaruk is going to make Feaster look even worse than he already does.

159. Numenius says:

Interesting that OHL Prospects ranked Nurse ahead of Monohan. I’m liking this pick more and more.

Listening to his interviews also helps. An intelligent, quality character. Nichushkin would have been a big risk on that front.

160. Chris says:

Damn Shinkaruk to the Dys is a gift to them.

161. spoiler says:

Wow, Erne, Klimchuk, Petan, Zykov all still available.

162. knighttown says:

spoiler:
    Wow, Erne, Klimchuk, Petan, Zykov all still available.

All wingers.

163. uni says:

Did not see McCarron going in the 1st.

164. JohnnyRocket says:

knighttown: All wingers.

165. spoiler says:

That’s the biggest reach so far… a real project Coke machine type. Huge kid though, massive.

166. Ducey says:

uni:
    Did not see McCarron going in the 1st.

Coke machine?

167. speeds says:

JohnnyRocket: It’s great that there is still skill on the board. Hopefully, it is still there at 37.

Pretty likely there will be skill at 37, if EDM still picks at that spot – every year there’s someone that slides a bit

168. Thor762 says:

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 2m
    Holmgren just walked over to Oilers table to speak with MacTavish. Oilers still looking for a d-man. Flyers don’t want to trade Coburn..but.

169. spoiler says:

knighttown,

Not Petan. Although who knows where he would play in The Show.

170. Death By Misadventure says:

Hard for an Oilers fan not to be disappointed by the Nurse selection, but I think it’s mostly optics as he’ll not only be compared to Monahan, but also the 3 #1 picks of the last few drafts. Personally I like the selection, and can live without the buzz, just tell me he can break up the cycle and move the puck out of his zone efficiently without shooting it off the glass. After last season, I’ve learned that that skill alone has tremedous value.

171. knighttown says:

Flames gotta take Fucale eh?

#37 plus for Coburn hopefully., then a centre with #56.

If no Coburn trade, take Petan.

173. Death By Misadventure says:

speeds,

Any guesses as to who that might be?

I’ll chug my beer if you get it right :)

174. knighttown says:

I think at this point I’d like Fucale, Compher, Erne, Hagg, Hartman and DeLaRose.

175. Marc says:

Death By Misadventure:

He’s big and he hits. I think Oilers fans are going to love him.

If he was a smooth skaing finess defender with great positioning on the other hand, fans would turn against him pretty quickly.

176. Ribs says:

Well, there goes my alternate pick for #37 (Theodore). C’mon Klimchuk!

177. spoiler says:

Thor762:
    Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 2m

BRING ME BRAYDON COBURN!!!

But with the ANA 2nd, or next years… there’s still some good shit up there, lol.

178. JohnnyRocket says:

2nd and Musil for Coburn is a deal I would welcome. It would push back the time we wait for the D to develop at a reasonable cost. The picks are starting to get wilder. The second round will be fun!

179. knighttown says:

Doubt they take Dauphin, Klimchuck, Zykov or Lehkonen.

180. Lucinius says:

So Luongo is shocked and not overly pleased…

Hah.

#37 will be gone imo to PHI or STL, but there’s a ton available. Petan, Compher, Lehkkonen, lots!

182. speeds says:

Death By Misadventure:
    speeds,

Any guesses as to who that might be?

I’ll chug my beer if you get it right

Kind of sounds like they might trade the pick, I’d honestly guess Petan if he’s still there, which I doubt.

Also, my experience is that when someone says “I’ll chug my beer if…”, that beer is going to be down the hatch pretty quick, whether the “if” comes to fruition or not.

183. Thor762 says:

Lucinius:
    So Luongo is shocked and not overly pleased…

Hah.

Please hockey gods have Luongo still demand to be traded/bought out and leave Vancouver. That would make me laugh and laugh and laugh.

184. Death By Misadventure says:

Marc,

LT agrees with you completely.

I do too. He’s going to be a fan favourite no doubt. My only other hope (other than breaking up the cycle etc.) is that he brings more offense than a Smid type.

185. PunjabiOil says:

Tristian Jerry – 0.936 sv%. He’s my top ranked goalie

186. Marc says:

knighttown:
    Flames gotta take Fucale eh?

My guess is Steve Santini of JT Compher.

187. bookje says:

Lucinius:
    So Luongo is shocked and not overly pleased…

Hah.

How does Gillis still have a job. Vancouver needed to suck it up and take on $2mil per year of Luongo’s salary and cap hit and trade him. Instead they do this WITHOUT talking to Luongo about it.

Looking forward to Feaster’s next pick.

188. spoiler says:

Fucale for Flamers, or Erne?

189. Marc says:

Death By Misadventure:
    Marc,

LT agrees with you completely.

His ES scoring numbers suggest he will. I love the pick to be honest.

190. Lucinius says:

Death By Misadventure,

To be fair… Smid should bring more offense than Smid.. but once he enters that offensive zone it seems like his mind starts to have some issues. He can pass, he can skate.. should be good for far more assists than he is.. but.. he’s Smid.

191. Tarkus says:

Thor762: Please hockey gods have Luongo still demand to be traded/bought out and leave Vancouver.That would make me laugh and laugh and laugh.

Can you say “Lack” of goaltending?

192. spoiler says:

Klimchuk… Thats more of a normal choice.

193. Death By Misadventure says:

spoiler,

You’re having too much fun.

God bless you.

This is the one day a year that’s, as my two year old would say, “dada’s” day. I sit in front of the TV and enjoy grown men drool over young men. My wife is an understanding woman. :)

194. uni says:

Lehkkonen please!

195. Ribs says:

Arg…Flames got the two guys I wanted the Oilers to pick now. Bastards.

196. BlacqueJacque says:

Feaster’s scouts had their 3 picks in the top 13.

He needs better scouts.

197. uni says:

BlacqueJacque,

Calgary only had 1 off book pick though. Got two solid prospects at their draft positions.

198. Scotty LaDouche says:

Love this pick, with the only downside being that it most likely doesn’t bring immediate help, but who knows.

Big, physical, strong skater with a high level of compete and is hard to play against. Exactly what we need. We already have our offensive dynamos, who, barring a major move, are going to be the ones responsible for putting the puck in the net for the next ~10 years. This pick is someone to lean on the other teams forwards and make playing against Edmonton a pain in the ass, something we are definitely short on.

Would Halls dad ever have played Nurses dad in the CFL?

199. spoiler says:

Ryan Rishaug@TSNRyanRishaug

Another Mactavish Holmgren conversation happening now.

Newer Comments »