OILERS SIGN ARCOBELLO

The Edmonton Oilers announced the signing of Mark Arcobello this afternoon. Arcobello is a real success story since turning pro, and this season pushed through to his NHL debut. The Oilers have been hesitant to sign rfa’s this spring, so the Arco signing is a pleasant surprise.

Arcobello outhit his RE by a mile (here) and posted some truly impressive numbers. Among them are his boxcars (74, 22-46-68), shots on goal (236, 3rd in AHL). The ideal slot for him would be 1line C in OKC, but I’d suggest Arcobello is also the likely first callup from the Barons as things sit currently. He would certainly be a better choice for 5C at the NHL level than Anton Lander, and with MacT likely sending out Horcoff and Belanger–while bringing in two replacement C’s to play behind Nuge and Gagner–Arcobello is closer to the NHL today than he was a year ago.

He turns 25 in August, plenty of time to have an NHL career.

(photo by Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved).

31 Responses to "OILERS SIGN ARCOBELLO"

1. cdean says:

Love the signing. Here is to hoping he can provide what the Oilers need

2. wheatnoil says:

MacT has commented on having the OKC Barons align their game strategy and systems play closer to the Oilers. My guess is he’s looking to go in a more “Red Wings” direction, where the AHL club is closely aligned to the NHL club in regards to strategy and team make-up. In that scenario, Arcobello would play on a skill line in OKC with a similar strategy and system to the Oilers skill line… so if/when Gagner or RNH go down with a shoulder injury, Arcobello comes up and the transition is a little easier since he plays the same system.

3. Pajamah says:

It’s a good problem to have when you are discussing the merits of a still young, All-Star level AHL’er, and whether or not he can help the big club. If he were a 6’3″ grinder who was stronger defensively, he’d already be our second line centre.

4. Ca$h-Money! says:

Love it. I’d also add that there is no reason a guy like this can’t play on the 4th line either. When I look at the better teams in the league I see skilled and less physical guys in the bottom 6 all the time (Brunner in Detroit being a good example). I do believe the Oilers need to add size, I’m just not a believer it needs to be in the bottom six… a guy that can win faceoffs, play solid defence, skate, kill penalties, and shoot the puck effectively can play a bottom six role. I would have no problem seeing Arco as 4c (or 4W) on the opening night roster, so long as the other off season additions fill out the rest of the roster gaps.

5. dessert1111 says:

Ca$h-Money!:,

I agree whole-heartedly. What we’re going to learn about the Oilers under MacT over the next few months of moves should give us an excellent indication as to the direction of this franchise.

6. Kitchener says:

Hall-Arco-Eberle as the starting 1st line? 10-15 games of this while RNH rehabs gives Eakins a decent 1st unit with experience playing together. Hall-Ebs would shelter Arco by drawing defender attention.

This plan would also allow the lower lines to develop chemistry without disruption once RNH is ready to return.

Not the best plan, but a decent scenario with RNH not quite ready for game 1.

7. Lois Lowe says:

If Arcobello spends the entirety of next season in the AHL and produces similar numbers to this season, then I’d say he’s ready for his cup of coffee. Hopefully there is enough NHL depth on the roster that Arco doesn’t see a game in the big show.

Ideally, he’d be the first callup.

1. Nuge
    2. Gagner
    3. Sobotka
    4. Gordon

AHL

5. Arcobello
    6. Martindale
    7. Lander
    8. VandeVelde

First callup: Arco.

9. fifthcartel says:

I think from the article at Oilers Nation with Nuge’s agent he should be ready for opening night. (hopefully) but I would definitely rather Arcobello get called up and leave Lander to marinate.

10. OilClog says:

It’s a good signing, Tambo probably would of signed Khabby again and forgot all about Arco.

Is Horton a lock to be an Oiler next year with the shoulder surgery on the horizon. “You know Nathan, the Oilers know a thing or two about shoulder surgeries”

I’m guessing he plays about 38 games, leaving us wishing it was 82.

11. Captain Happy says:

Ideally, he’d be the first callup.

1. Nuge
    2. Gagner
    3. Sobotka
    4. Gordon

AHL

5. Arcobello
    6. Martindale
    7. Lander
    8. VandeVelde

First callup: Arco.

Sobotka?

Really, Alan.

Sobotka?

He currently is being paid $1.3M for the next two seasons and will be RFA at the end of his contract.

48GP 8G 11A 19P

FO% 56.5

Corsi Rel +6.5 (second among Blues forwards)

Corsi ON +8.71 (second among Blues forwards)

Sobotka is a cap (and budget) restrained GM’s wet dream.

Why exactly would Davidson and Kelkalainen give up this player?

What would the Oilers have to give up to get him?

12. bookje says:

OilClog:

I’m guessing he plays about 38 games, leaving us wishing it was 82.

Tambellini was great at signing players who fit at the AHL/NHL margin.

13. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Here’s a ponderable.

Given MacT’s taste for utility centers at the bottom of the roster… who is more likely to get a shot at the 12-13 spot on the roster (at any position): Arco or Raj?

Does Arco get an edge for being a Center and having more experience?

Captain Happy: since the blog began, which has been awhile now, I like to name someone as a “type” and then we proceed. Boyd Gordon was first mentioned by someone else, I use him as a type as well. LOVE to have both players, if unavailable, someone from that family will suffice.

I do in fact publish a “free agent” list each year, last season’s is here.

15. dawgtoy says:

Captain Happy,

It doesn’t happen often, but I completely agree with you.

16. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: someone from that family

I’ve internalized this phrasing as simply part of all your blue-skying.

It seems an established trope with you.

In some fairness to all sides here, though, I’m not sure if I’ve come across Sobotka’s name yet. I suspect that has more to do with the recent Horcov news than anything else.

Still… I read Sobotka’s name in this fashion: “we are going to need a new 3rd line C with Horcov leaving. Someone from the Sobotka family”

17. Lois Lowe says:

I understood what he meant.

The thing that I like most about the discussion here is that, for the most part, it takes place in a world of hypotheticals. Last season, LT was advocating for Daniel Winnik because he was a free agent as well as being the player type sought for the role. Sobotka and Gordon’s availability is less at issue than the depth of the C position on the Oilers roster.

If Arcobello is behind a Sobotka and a Gordon next season, then the Summer of Craig was a success.

18. Ca$h-Money! says:

I read Cullen’s off-season gameplan on the Blues today, got me thinking: what does it take to bring one of their centers over? I’m not a close follower of their club, but to my knowledge all of Berglund, Backes, and Perron play C…. seems like Hemsky ++ might make sense there.

Also, Lois:

Seems like you are saying Arco needs another full year of 1ppg point production in the AHL to even get 1 NHL game (in your original post)… if he plays all season in the AHL at 1ppg and doesn’t get called up, why would he stick around? He will be 26 and will have been killing the AHL the entire time he’s been there without getting a shot at the big club, if I were him I’d be kinda pissed if that happened.

19. Captain Obvious says:

The problem with using Sobotka as a type, is that Sobotka is pretty much sui generis. Positive possession player in the NHL, point a game player in the AHL at 20, cheap contract, and not a big reputation. There is no player that is comparable to Sobotka.

20. bendelson says:

Captain Obvious,

Zack Smith?
    Perhaps less offensive upside and one year behind but that sweet four year contract has to put him in the comparable category with Sobotka no?

21. Lois Lowe says:

Ca$h-Money!: Also,Lois:

Seems like you are saying Arco needs another full year of 1ppg point production in the AHL to even get 1 NHL game (in your original post)…if he plays all season in the AHL at 1ppg and doesn’t get called up, why would he stick around?He will be 26 and will have been killing the AHL the entire time he’s been there without getting a shot at the big club, if I were him I’d be kinda pissed if that happened.

It doesn’t seem like I am saying that, my friend, because I am saying that. Marc Arcobello is a tweener until he proves otherwise. Quite clearly produced at the AHL level in a top 6 role, but one season (I am accounting for the fact he played with Hall and Ebs for a while) does not a career make. He needs to be making a spot on the NHL roster for himself and that means forcing the issue,

The thing about the Detroit model that everyone forgets is that it requires patience and a belief in the organization’s ability to develop players. Arcobello would be way over his head in a 4C role with the Oilers for anything more than 10 games.

When was the last time you heard (and subsequently cared) about a Red Wings prospect not ever reaching the NHL because he didn’t get a chance in their organization (i.e. who is their Rob Schremp) ? If Arcobello doesn’t re-sign with the Oilers after next season, either the big club has too much depth at C, or he’s not really worth a 1 way contract.

22. Marc says:

Lois Lowe:

It’s also worth noting that Detroit has a of calling up smaller skilled AHL players to fill spots in the top 6, but calls up bigger, less skilled players for their bottom 6. Nyquist didn’t make the team out of camp this year, despite being a point per game player in the AHL last season because there wasn’t room for him the top 6 and they didn’t want to play an undrsized scorer in their bottom 6 (I’m pretty sure Friedman noted as much in one of his 30 thoughts columns).

Joakim Andersson (6’2”, 206lbs) got 38 games in Detroit this season, whereas Nyquist (5’11”, 185 lbs) and Tatar (5’10”, 186 lbs) only got 22 and 18 games respectively, in spite of the fact that both were more productive than Andersson in the AHL last season.

Even in Detroit, undersized AHL scoreres don’t get fast tracked to the NHL.

23. Ca$h-Money! says:

Lois Lowe,

Marc,

Detroit had Brunner play a substantial amount of time on the 4th line. An undersized player with a history of lighting up lesser leagues, doing some of that while plaing on a line with an NHL all star during the lockout.

Clearly I’m not saying Arco has earned a roster spot. What I am saying is that your argument that he should get 0 games is excessive. If he continues to be a ppg player at the AHL level (largely with even strength scoring and high shot output as he has shown in the past) then he most certainly should get a few games. He needs to force the issue: part of forcing the issue means giving him the opportunity to prove himself when he has already proven himself at the AHL level. Detroit would give him a cup of coffee next year, so should we. A cup of coffee is not fast tracking, but it is part of the development process.

Captain Happy: Why exactly would Davidson and Kelkalainen give up this player?
    What would the Oilers have to give up to get him?

Davidson and Kelkalainen run Columbus, not St. Louis.

Ideally, he’d be the first callup.

1. Nuge
    2. Gagner
    3. Sobotka
    4. Gordon

AHL

5. Arcobello
    6. Martindale
    7. Lander
    8. VandeVelde

First callup: Arco.

Martindale ahead of Lander?

I think you got that one switched around sir.

Lander as the checking C. I assume the Oilers under MacT will have players slotted in their NHL positions.

I see what you are getting at.

I’m not sure that he still doesn’t play up the chart.

He’s a better offensive option in the AHL, and even checkers in the NHL scored in the AHL.

Use him PvP in the AHL rather than pure checking would be my guess.

Could be, I think we’ll see feature roles for guys like Martindale, Pitlick and Hamilton (when he recovers) next season. Oilers have one year to decide–if they haven’t already–might as well give them every chance they can in roles that use their talents to best advantage.

29. Lynas1 says:

Woodguy: I see what you are getting at.

I’m not sure that he still doesn’t play up the chart.

Use him PvP in the AHL rather than pure checking would be my guess.

I think that makes sense WG. Not that I don’t want martindale to get a good opportunity in the AHL, I hope they make sure Lander has enough ice time to get him moving on his development curve.

I also think that this Arco signing is great. One year means little risk and if they wanted to use him as trade piece, it’d make it easier with a contract I’d think hehe.

Lander was a “checking” centre playing between OKC’s two best scoring wingers in Rajala and Hartikainen. A “checking” centre with at a PPG for the last 15 or so games. Martindale was a “scoring” centre sitting in the press box mosltly with few points int he last fifteen games.

Unusual inversion of scoring and checking definitions by Lowetide.