RIP KRISTIANS PELSS

A very sad day for all, and our thoughts and prayers are with the Pelss family and those who are close to him. That would include the Oilers, Oil Kings, Barons and Thunder. There are no words. Rest in peace, young man.

I’m linking to Patricia Teter’s page (here) where she links to the stories. (Photo by Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved).

23 Responses to "RIP KRISTIANS PELSS"

1. Romulus Apotheosis says:

So young. brutally sad.

RIP.

2. WheresYourTowel says:

Just gut-wrenching. I hope his family finds a way to make sense of this or at least accept it.

3. theres oil in virginia says:

This sounds like suicide, and it’s been talked about as if it were suicide, but I’ve not seen that confirmed anywhere. Was this suicide?

theres oil in virginia:
    This sounds like suicide, and it’s been talked about as if it were suicide, but I’ve not seen that confirmed anywhere.Was this suicide?

It could very well be a stunt gone bad. Would you take your clothes off if you were attempting suicide?

Maybe he was being shaken down for money by a Latvian gang. Something not unheard of in Eastern Europe. And when he refused to cooperate, they staged an “accident”.

5. Kris11 says:

Damn. I hate how cruel the world is to kids.

From experience, sadly, I can tell you that families don’t usually recover well from suicides, so this will be a double tragedy.

Based on what I’ve read, sounds like an accident. I’m no expert on that kind of thing, though.

7. jp says:

Wow, that’s just awful. Poor kid. Poor family. RIP.

8. Lois Lowe says:

Rest In Peace Sweet Prince.

Just so horribly sad, my thoughts are with his family and friends. I am not sure that we’ll ever really learn the details of his death but I hope that those close to him can make peace with it.

Talk to your family, talk to your friends, let people know that they don’t need to face mental illness alone. If you’re having a hard time coping with life, reach out, there’s always people who can lend a hand.

9. Spydyr says:

How about we leave all the conjecture alone.A young man has lost his life..Perhaps at a latter time the why’s may be answered. For now let’s think of his family and friends

Rest in peace Kristians Pelss

10. Kris11 says:

Fair point Spydr.

11. magisterrex says:

Very, very sad day for the Family Pelss. RIP.

12. no noise suggests no bees says:

godot10: It could very well be a stunt gone bad.Would you take your clothes off if you were attempting suicide?

Maybe he was being shaken down for money by a Latvian gang.Something not unheard of in Eastern Europe.And when he refused to cooperate, they staged an “accident”.

I’ve spent 2 weeks in Riga. I felt more safe there than I do walking down Whyte on a Friday night. There’s no need to add xenophobic, narrow theories to the mix.

Similarily, we have no evidence to assume this was suicide or a mental disorder.

All we know is that the world has lost a great talent and athlete, and the Pelss family has lost a son and loved one. That’s all we know, and therefore that’s all we have the right to comment on.

RIP Kristians – you won’t be forgotten.

13. meanashell11 says:

I have a son about the same age and last fall he was driving home from a friends place on a dark and rainy night and he missed a 90 degree corner and hit a stone wall. Almost zero injury to him but when I saw the car and saw how totaled it was it made me realize how lucky he was and how close we came to losing him. I was shaken to the core. I can’t imagine losing a child. I hope the Pelss family are strong and can handle this pain. RIP :(

14. Lois Lowe says:

I don’t want to add conjecture but people just don’t go swimming in rivers that size. How often have you wandered on down to the North Saskatchewan for a dip?

15. RickDeckard says:

godot10,

Sometimes suicidal people will fold their clothes and put their things aside as a sort of final good bye. Very common in Japan.

16. spoiler says:

An absolute tragedy…. I wish all the strength and courage in the world for the Pelss family, Kris’ hockey family and all the people whose lives were touched by this lovely young man. Deepest deepest condolences to you all for your terrible loss.

17. LP says:

There’s no point in speculating, in the end it doesn’t matter. Sad day. As a father I can’t imagine…

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends.

RIP

18. kev says:

RIP young Kristiāns Pelšs. So very sad.

Some reaction from close team mates Marincin and Gernat prior to confirmation. Sorry if this has been posted already.

19. RexLibris says:

Great photo LT, tugs at the heartstrings.

WIthout getting ahead of things here, I can only say that, were I in Katz’s shoes, I would gather some more information and then perhaps look at establishing a foundation in Pelss’ name for Latvian junior hockey. It wouldn’t take much, but that country is hockey-mad and Pelss was a rising star. It would be a nice way to commemorate him and try to build something for his family and the country in the wake of this.

20. Tarkus says:

I wonder whether the Oilers would dedicate their first pick in the draft (#7 or wherever) to the memory of Pelss. Would be a classy move.

For interest’s sake, can anyone recall if VAN did likewise for Luc Bourdon or NYR for Cherepanov?

21. dessert1111 says:

RIP Kristians Pelss….a sad day.

22. treevojo says:

Hey lowetide
    I read this site everyday so I realize that your latest tweet is from before this event happened but for somebody that just pops on here from time to time they might take a second glance at it and say wtf. Just trying to help avoid some confusion.

23. Rondo says:

The Dash
    by Linda Ellis

I read of a man who stood to speak
    at the funeral of a friend.
    He referred to the dates on her tombstone,
    from the beginning…to the end.

He noted that first came the date of her birth
    and spoke of the following date with tears,
    but he said what mattered most of all
    was the dash between those years.

For that dash represents all the time
    that she spent alive on earth.
    And now only those who loved her
    know what that little line is worth.

For it matters not, how much we own,
    the cars…the house…the cash.
    What matters is how we live and love
    and how we spend our dash.

So, think about this long and hard.
    Are there things you’d like to change?
    For you never know how much time is left
    that can still be rearranged.

If we could just slow down enough
    to consider what’s true and real
    and always try to understand
    the way other people feel.

And be less quick to anger
    and show appreciation more
    and love the people in our lives
    like we’ve never loved before.

If we treat each other with respect
    and more often wear a smile,
    remembering that this special dash
    might only last a little while.

So, when your eulogy is being read,
    with your life’s actions to rehash…
    would you be proud of the things they say
    about how you spent YOUR dash?