THE END OF WALKABOUT?

Craig MacTavish makes so much sense its scary. If hockey in Canada is a religion, then the man from London, Ontario is the finest preacher this congregation has ever seen. After seasons of 30th, 30th, 29th and 24th, MacT has the fanbase at a fever pitch.

• MacT: We can acquire role players by other means. If you draft somebody who’s inadequate in maybe speed or size but has some skill, maybe he can improve in those areas and offer … significant skill that can move the dial of your team.”

We’ve been down this road so many times on this blog, but the walkabout picks–usually in the third round–may be a thing of the past. This is extremely good news for fans of ‘value picks’ because being risk averse is just about the wisest thing you can do on draft day (the only thing wiser is to draft first overall).

There’s a great way to show the value of ‘risk averse’ and here’s how: take the actual draft number and compare it to the Bob McKenzie list. This season, if Edmonton followed the BM list, they would end up with Sean Monahan (#7), Eric Comrie (#37) and John Diaby (#56). They won’t draft those guys (suspect we’ll see two centermen) but you get the idea. Here’s what last year would have looked like: Nail Yakupov (#1), Martin Frk (#32).

After MacT’s conference yesterday I expect we’re going to see only one second round pick used (sounds like a player/prospect and a pick for a player–not quite a 3-for-1 but we’re getting there!) and one hopes they can add a third or fourth round selection.

As it stands, and after seeing BM’s list, I’m going to predict the following:

• #7 Sean Monahan or Darnell Nurse
  • #37 Laurent Dauphin or Tristan Jarry
  • #56 Dillon Heatherington or Connor Hurley

Fun weekend ahead!

THE NAMES WE’RE HEARING

There appears to be some fretting over the names we’re hearing–Cal Clutterbuck, Zack Smith–as incoming options. Remember, the Oilers are set at the skill slots (save for LW) and have Paajarvi as a skill winger on the 3line. It makes sense to me we’re going to see size and toughness brought in, and MacT said as much yesterday:

• MacT: “Our team is more modeled, at this point, fortunately for us, after the current Stanley Cup champions. We do have that level of skill but we also need to add the complement we need to compete in the tough areas of the game as well. It’s a combination of entertaining moving some draft choices and also moving some of the current players that we have an abundant supply of to get bigger, stronger players.  I’ve been consistent in what I’ve said about the value of depth. It’s been on full display in the Stanley Cup playoffs. You need those big goals. Even the year we went to the Stanley Cup finals we had great depth. We had lots of guys who could contribute offensively. And last year we really didn’t. We had a lot of one- and two- and zero-goal scorers. The best you could hope for was that they were a non-negative factor.”

Let’s list last season’s 3 and 4 line Oilers with the current names being discussed:

1. Zack Smith 48, 4-9-13
  2. Ryan Smyth 47, 1-10-11
  3. Cal Clutterbuck 42, 4-5-9
  4. Shawn Horcoff 31, 4-4-8
  5. Lennart Petrell 35, 2-5-7
  6. Ryan Jones 27, 2-5-7
  7. Eric Belanger 26, 0-3-3
  8. Ben Eager 14, 1-1-2
  9. Jarred Smithson 10, 1-0-1
  10. Mike Brown 27, 1-0-1
  11. Anton Lander 11, 0-0-0
  12. Chris VandeVelde 11, 0-0-0
  13. Teemu Hartikainen 23, 0-0-0

These are even strength numbers from nhl.com. The Oilers plan to return Ryan Smyth from this list, and maybe Ryan Jones and I do think Mike Brown will be back. The possible additions add size and toughness, and I do think you can argue they are upgrades over what the team had last year (I know, that’s not difficult).

Can Smith and Clutterbuck take and make a pass? Can they work with a more skilled player like Paajarvi? Don’t know. MacT would appear to think so. Are these men better bets than Eric Belanger and Ben Eager were in 2011? Don’t know.  We wait.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

dundee

This morning at 10 on Team 1260, we’re going walkabout with several terrific guests. Scheduled to appear:

Text 10-1260 or @Lowetide on twitter.  Looking forward to it!

80 Responses to "THE END OF WALKABOUT?"

1. Romulus Apotheosis says:

That item on skill in the late rounds was just so heartening. Find the player with the biggest upside, not projected facepunchers and bottom 6/2s.

Love it.

When is Cloutier going to be on the show?

When do those reporting 3-5 deals in the can eat crow?

2. sliderule says:

MacT is preaching to the choir as far as I am concerned.

Players can learn how to skate better and even grow and thicken up but they never seem to get better hands.

3. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Rondo: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/columnist/woodlief/2013/06/25/nhl-mock-draft-red-line-report/2454363/

Lindholm at 11!!!

I hope like hell he falls and EDM isn’t stupid enough to take Horvat over Lindholm (no knock on Horvat mind you).

4. Nyeoseok says:

If Clutterbuck is seriously an option, and if it means just giving up Pitlick, I’m sure 99% of the fans will say do it. To state the obvious, the only reason anyone might hesitate about Clutterbuck is the Hall kneeing incident. However, both players are professionals at the end of the day, and I’d like to think that at least part of their seven-figure salaries is devoted toward getting over such incidents.

5. LMHF#1 says:

Nyeoseok:

No. The objection is because he plays like a cowardly idiot.

6. Oiler_in_Mexico says:

LT, you linked to last year’s article at the National Post, the right link should be http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/06/25/edmonton-oilers-nhl-draft-and-free-agency-preview/

7. goldenchild says:

Loved listening to the GM yesterday, its amazing how much more comfortable this weekend feels with MacT at the helm compared to Tambelini, its like taking a bullet train in Tokyo as compared to Indian rail car through the Himalayas which is what the last 4 years felt like.

Here’s the thing I know, there are going to be deals made that I dont like and where we dont get full value, I know for a fact I will hate the Hemsky deal I just know I will but I think rather than judge each deal individually its wiser to sit back and then judge at the end of the summer as a whole. I run a managed portfolio program we may have 40 holdings and we always tell clients not every holding is going to be a winner but overall the portfolio mix will beat the benchmark. That’s how I see MacT this summer, I feel confident from everything he has said this summer, from watching him as a coach for years that he has a strong plan, understands what type of team he needs to win and is capable enough to pull it off.

8. Nyeoseok says:

LMHF#1,

That might be the objection of a few fans, but no GM in the league would overlook a perennial leader in hits who can also put up 20-30 points per season. This is particularly true in light of MacT’s comments on wanting to get veterans who are bulky, in their mid-20s, and capable of being a scoring threat.

He’s exactly the kind of player you hate until he’s on your team.

9. SinceTheWHADays says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

When is Cloutier going to be on the show?

Very funny….
    1. I honestly thought I read Cloutier’s name at the bottom of the Lowetide’s guest list one day. I’ll take 5 min for fighting and 2 min for instigating plus a game misconduct on that one.

2. When I log onto Oiler Nation every article relating to the Oil get listed, with the most recent on top including all the nation bloggers, plus Edmonton Journal and Sun columnists, plus TSN and Sports Net West articles etc. and honestly the three Hockey Buzz articles I mentioned yesterday were there. So I obviously incorrectly thought that the administrators of Oiler Nation set things up to allow the hockey Buzz posts to be included here.

3. Doesn’t everyone who logs onto the nation get the same list of articles?

10. wheatnoil says:

Scott Cullen tweeted a link to a Broadstreet Hockey post that’s pretty interesting. Using the data from goals scored to estimate time on ice as well as quality of competition. Looks like Monahan faced some pretty severe competition, more than someone like Domi. It would be interesting to have the figures for Lindholm and Horvat.

11. Romulus Apotheosis says:

SinceTheWHADays: Very funny….
    1.I honestly thought I read Cloutier’s name at the bottom of the Lowetide’s guest list one day. I’ll take 5 min for fighting and 2 min for instigating plus a game misconduct on that one.

2.When I log onto Oiler Nation every article relating to the Oil get listed, with the most recent on top including all the nation bloggers, plus Edmonton Journal and Sun columnists, plus TSN and Sports Net West articles etc. and honestly the three Hockey Buzz articles I mentioned yesterday were there.So I obviously incorrectly thought that the administrators of Oiler Nation set things up to allow the hockey Buzz posts to be included here.

3.Doesn’t everyone who logs onto the nation get the same list of articles?

Thanks for clearing that up and owning up to it.

You gave us all the impression of a very confused person leading a group of very confused persons around an empty museum.

I can’t speak for everyone, but I have to log into every Oiler-related site individually if I wish to contribute. I have no idea about some umbrella log-in you are privy to.

Good rule of thumb though… read carefully before lodging a vociferous complaint.

12. Romulus Apotheosis says:

wheatnoil:
    Scott Cullen tweeted a link to a Broadstreet Hockey post that’s pretty interesting. Using the data from goals scored to estimate time on ice as well as quality of competition.Looks like Monahan faced some pretty severe competition, more than someone like Domi. It would be interesting to have the figures for Lindholm and Horvat.

Cool… looks like an analogue of LT’s own attempts.

13. SinceTheWHADays says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Fair enough. Point taken. Back to hockey talk.

14. LMHF#1 says:

Nyeoseok:
    LMHF#1,

He’s exactly the kind of player you hate until he’s on your team.

I’ll hate him even more if he is on the Oilers.

I know most don’t object as strongly as I do or at all, but I think it is important to note that this guy could cause us some real problems.

15. rickithebear says:

Nyeoseok:

Clutterbuck is an intense:
    2nd comp Forward with a hell like zone start with a good shot differential.
    His junior numbers said 20G 20A player in his 25 -30 years.
    His current even numbers translate to a 15G 11A even points player.
    He is a better than average PK forward who would be an ideal #2 or #3 PKwinger.

Perfect for getting us to the playoffs.
    However, Rolling on the ice cause you have no pain tolerance gets you knocked out in the 1st round.

If it was an act.
    I would gladly have him on the team.

SinceTheWHADays:

Very funny….

3. Doesn’t everyone who logs onto the nation get the same list of articles?

LOL. I swear it was among the funniest threads we’ve had since the blog started, glad to know it all worked out.

17. jonrmcleod says:

I WAS PROMISED RICHARD CLOUTIER!!!

18. Gerta Rauss says:

SinceTheWHADays: Very funny….

3.Doesn’t everyone who logs onto the nation get the same list of articles?

Is this where you log on..? That portal is much different than logging onto each site individually.

19. SinceTheWHADays says:

Gerta Rauss,

Nope. Oiler hockey.com

20. striatic says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Lindholm at 11!!!

that article is downright idiotic given what MacT has said about Nurse.

pure filler. linkbait.

21. Gerta Rauss says:

SinceTheWHADays,

Never heard of that one. Same deal though, if you log onto a portal that gathers relevant sites(in this case, Oilers hockey) the administrator of the site will bolt on links/feeds according to his/her whim.

lowetide dot ca or oilersnation dot com take you directly to the respective sites

22. Romulus Apotheosis says:

striatic: that article is downright idiotic given what MacT has said about Nurse.

pure filler. linkbait.

I don’t doubt the sincerity of MacT’s comments on Nurse… but two caveats:

1) he was asked about Nurse. He didn’t offer his comments ex nihilo

2) he went out of his way to say his thoughts on Nurse applied to all the “top players” in the draft

You only get so many picks, but you are welcome to covet all of them.

23. Ribs says:

pure filler. linkbait.

As LT usually points out, there is a big difference between a top prospects list and a mock draft, which needs to be taken into consideration when looking at these things.

24. striatic says:

Ribs: Woodlief seems to do this every season. He’s very knowledgeable when it comes to the prospects but goes out on some long limbs when he’s trying to identify what NHL teams are thinking.

if he’s going on the fact the Oilers brought Horvat in to interview in Edmonton, i think that’s more about “what do we do if Nichuskin is available at 7, and we want to trade the pick to Philly?”

25. justDOit says:

While not draft related, Larry Brooks reports that the NHL has declared ‘no shenanigans’ on amnesty buyouts – meaning you can’t trade a player to another team, have that team buy the player out, and then resign said player.

So from capgeek, a list of teams and their $/opening on their rosters for next season. Some teams (Philly) have declared their intentions wrt ABOs, but tonight at 23:00 est, things should get rolling. Maybe MacT can pluck a Horc replacement out of the new UFAs?

2013-14 CAP SPACE
    Los Angeles Kings » $57,796,894 $6,638,106 17 $1,106,351
    San Jose Sharks » $57,901,667 $6,648,333 16 $949,762
    Carolina Hurricanes » $56,962,500 $7,347,500 17 $1,224,583

26. Gerta Rauss says:

Gregor has an excellent item up with Mactavish

-nobody has called about Omark
    -apparently they are going to let Peckham walk(first I hear of that)

27. dangilitis says:

Love the walkabout term. AKA Deadliest catch AKA Pursuit of happiness AKA Big game hunting

MacT: “We made a decision way back when to try to get some more skill in the lineup because the goals were normally by attrition and now the team’s really made a 180 degree turn and we need the Todd Machants and the Mike Griers and the Ethan Moreaus and the Rem Murrays and the Todd Harveys and the guys that have that character and all of that grit, and an amalgamation of the team that we have now. The team that we had then would be very exciting to watch for a lot of years, if we had the skill we have now, but right now I think that it is paramount in our mandate to try to get those players in to compete hard and we’re going to try to do that.”

Is that not music to your ears?

28. wordbird says:

a link from a link from hockeybuzz.com (i know), but a rumour fleshing out the possible Coburn acquisition:

Brayden Coburn
    The 28-year old defenseman has now been linked to trades heading to EDM or ANA for various packages of players and picks. The EDM rumor is Coburn, Scott Laughton and the 2013 3rd rd. pick for EDM’s #7 overall pick.

29. RMGS says:

Romulus Apotheosis: He didn’t offer his comments ex nihilo

I’m told that throwing in bona fide dead language phrases every now and then (not ad nauseam) also works to impress at cocktail parties. :)

30. TheOtherJohn says:

dangilitis:

Is that not music to your ears?

31. Romulus Apotheosis says:

My favorite part of the Gregor interview was MacT’s suggestion that Arco get a few more games last year in the bottom 6:

“MacTavish: I think that he’s got potential, sure. I liked him last year, I was an advocate of giving him an opportunity, especially in our bottom six last year, but he only came up for the one game. It all boils down to your ability to make plays with the puck”

That tells me… while we are definitely looking for some more size… we might very well be throwing out the bottom 6 tough guy handbook. Everyone has to have skill… and if you have skill but are blocked by the top 6, you might just find yourself welcome in the bottom 6.

That and the partial open door for Omark.

Good signs.

32. Romulus Apotheosis says:

hello?

suddenly my comments are moderated… anyway, see if this works:

That and the partial open door for Omark.

Good signs.

33. wheatnoil says:

MacTavish on Arcobello: “I think that he’s got potential, sure. I liked him last year, I was an advocate of giving him an opportunity, especially in our bottom six last year, but he only came up for the one game. It all boils down to your ability to make plays with the puck. When he played with Hall and Eberle in Oklahoma City this year earlier, his production was excellent. It was actually on par with Nuge. I’m not saying that he’s Nuge, but it was on par with Ryan. So I think that we’ll get him to training camp.”

Sounds like MacT would’ve called up Arcobello… maybe more than Lander or Vandevelde. I’d be fascinated to see Arcobello on the 4th line with Lander playing longer in the AHL.

34. BlacqueJacque says:

Rondo:
    Did you see Kyle Woodlief’snew mock draft?Some surprising picks

The man has to be smoking crack. Horvat at #7? Sigh.

35. Ribs says:

Woodlief’s having a chat today. Here’s an answer to a Flames fan on picking 6th….

Comment From Kevin
    As a Flames fan Monahan vs Lindholm has been the debate for the last couple of months. What is your take? And do you think it comes down to those two players for the Flames?
    1:19

Red Line: Kevin: If we were drafting at #6 overall, the debate would definitely come down to those two guys for us, plus maybe Darnell Nurse if we were looking at the blue line. I think it will be hard for the Flames to pass on a big, smooth centre with playmaking ability who can be a legitimate first liner – that’s exactly what they need. Monahan by a whisker.

36. wheatnoil says:

37. Bag of Pucks says:

In a lot of the mock drafts I’m seeing, it seems they take the team’s needs and the player’s attributes into account, but they don’t consider other external factories (e.g. draft history, public perception, marketability of the draft selection) that I think do play into the final decision on draft day.

Here’s a quick mock draft from #1 to #7 with those factors in mind.

1) COL – The team has depth at center but question marks with all three. Duchene is inconsistent, but trending in the right direction after an abysmal 2011. Paul Stasny is an underachiever and Ryan O’Reilly raked the team over the coals with a highly publicized holdout/offer sheet debacle. MacKinnon immediately stabilizes the depth chart and promises to form a potent 1/2 punch with Duchene down the middle. Frees up the org to move Stasny and/or O’Reilly for much needed assets elsewhere. Team tipped its hand to the pick to avoid a potential PR backlash over not picking local favorite Jones

PICK: MacKinnon

2) FLA – Tallon will be sorely tempted to pick Drouin to give Calder Winner C Huberdeau the perfect linemate and foundation for a dominant first line. But the GM who drafted Seabrook, Keith, and traded for Brian Campbell (twice) will not be able to forgo the upside of the bpa on the board – D Seth Jones. The pick is a tough sell in a market that is still awaiting the arrival to dominance of blue chip D Eric Gudbranson. But with Jones, Gudbranson and G Markstrom, Tallon builds the foundation from the back end out, just as he did with Chicago

QUESTION TO OILER FANS: Would you trade Jordan Eberle for Eric Gudbranson?

PICK: Jones

3) TB – GM Yzerman breathes a huge sigh of relief that Jones does not slide to them (been there, done that with Victor Hedman and still waiting on full returns) giving them the opp to go with the obvious bpa pick Jonathan Drouin. The young LW steps into the perfect situation teaming up with C savant Stamkos and Art Ross RW St Louis (the latter who’s surely nearing retirement) to form a truly marquee first line. If Bishop can grab the brass ring and Yzerman can find a partner for the emerging Hedman, the Lightning can potentially ice 5 players the equal of anyone in the league. Big plus for this market? Drouin will sell tickets.

PICK: Drouin

4) NASH – C Barkov is the bpa on the board at this time and fills a huge need for a big building block C for the goal starved Preds. Burned by Alexander Radulov, NASH could be twice shy about the prospects of drafting a Russian this highly, but Janne Kekalainen, Nashville’s European scout based in Finland, has ties to Barkov’s father giving the team the impenetrable confidence it needs for this pick. GM Poile ecstatic to get a foundation player at #4.

QUESTION TO OILER FANS: Why did we win those last 2 games again?

PICK: Barkov

5) CAR – Here’s where it gets interesting for Oiler fans. With Lindholm and Monahan still on the board, the impact C that EDM desperately needs is up for grabs. The Canes have reasonable C depth with the Staal boys down the middle and having given up the 2nd most goals in the league, the Canes surely have to pick a D man don’t they? They won’t. D Justin Faulk is emerging and D Ryan Murphy is on the horizon along with D Keegan Lowe. Despite a mixed history with recent C picks (Skinner/Sutter good, Boychuk/Dalpe/Paradis bad), GM Rutherford knows a good thing when he sees it and takes the bpa on the board.

PICK: Lindholm

PREDICTION: We’ll hear post draft that MacT offered a package to move up to this pick but the price was too steep (either Eberle or Schultz along with the #7 pick).

QUESTION TO OILER FANS: Possible WOW trade. The Oiler land local boy G Cam Ward, the #5 overall and D Jamie McBain for the #7 pick, Devan Dubnyk and Jordan Eberle. Would you do it?

Note: Could see Carolina taking Monahan over Lindholm as well with Rutherford’s predilection for OHL lads.

6) CAL – The rebuild is on for the Flamers and GM Feaster HAS to land 3 key building blocks with the team’s trifecta of first rounders. Notorious for going off the board for high risk/home run picks, Feaster will be reined in this year by an ownership group desperate to come out of this draft with a highly marketable player they can pimp to the season ticket base as the savior/foundation of the rebuild. Feaster will desperately try to convince the brass to pick LW Nichushkin, the bpa left with the highest potential upside. But a team long starved for a blue chip C will not be able to resist the leadership qualities and poster boy attributes of C Monahan. He’s the safe pick at #7 and CAL can’t afford not making the safe pick here. Never fear, Feaster will get more opportunities to amaze with his radical stupidity with picks #22 and #28 still to come. Ownership will enjoy the ancillary benefit of sticking it EDM with this selection.

PICK: Monahan

7) EDM – MacT’s worst fears are realized when none of the players that Edmonton hoped would slide to them at #7 are available when the clock starts ticking.

Faced with the choice of picking another development timeline D with many already in the prospect pipeline (Klefbom, Marincin, Gernat, Musil), MacT hangs out the for sale sign quickly to any and all clubs in the hopes of trading down to secure a roster player and a first round pick still high enough to draft the ‘meat’ and bones C Horvat that MacT has established as his fall back option.

Other than a couple half hearted attempts (the Flyers offer up Matt Read and the #11 pick, the Jackets Dubinsky and the #14), the clock winds down and with the team finding a newfound comfort zone with high draft picks from Mother Russia (yes I know he’s a Tartar) thanks to Yakupov, MacT takes the bpa on the board, getting the combo of size and skill he sees as critical for playoff success.

PICK: Nicushkin

38. watchtower64 says:

Going to sound out there but…
    Trade the 7th OV, Ana. 2nd, Gernat and Belanger to Philly for Coburn and Laughton/Couturier
    or a combo of Read/Hartnell/Coburn/Simmonds.
    Gives Philly some cap space, Oil get size and grit

39. spoiler says:

wheatnoil: McKenzie reporting that Eager and Belanger are buy-out considerations for the Oilers. Those aren’t extremely high salary guys. My guess is that MacT will try to unload them as the “plus” component of a deal during the draft. If no one will take them, then he’ll buy them out… at least one of them anyways.

Well they had better get it figured out… They have from noon tomorrow till noon July 3 to place their compliance candidates on waivers for buyout purposes.

And a BOG meeting and a draft in the middle of that week long time frame.

40. justDOit says:

watchtower64,

Philly is buying out Briere and Bryzgalov, giving them over $12M in instant cap space. Also, Holmgren is on record as saying any deal involving Couturier will have to be amazing.

41. fifthcartel says:

Am I wrong here or do the Oilers want some other team to buy Horcoff out, and to use their buyouts on Eager and Belanger?

42. Ribs says:

Gerta Rauss:

Gregor has an excellent item up with Mactavish

-nobody has called about Omark
    -apparently they are going to let Peckham walk(first I hear of that)

Interesting that MacT was contemplating moving down 7-8 spots in the season ticket holders meeting and now says it’s unlikely that they move as far down as 14.

Bryzgalov, haha. I’m sure he’d just love to sign here! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ns14hRqwY8

43. watchtower64 says:

@JUSTDOIT

Holmgren once signed Bryzgalov, signed Briere, traded Carter and Richards amongst many other questionable moves. Frankly I have no clear sense of what Holmgren would classify as “amazing”

44. wheatnoil says:

fifthcartel:

That’s what Bob McKenzie hinted at, but I don’t really get it. Unless this is part of a plan to trade or sign for someone with a bigger cap hit, the Oilers shouldn’t be in cap trouble this coming year (even then off-loading Hemsky would clear up an equivalent amount of cap room). It’ll be next year when RNH and J. Schultz need new contracts that the crunch might be on. So if there’s no takers for Horcoff, wouldn’t it make sense to keep him for another year? Especially since centre is so damn weak on this team. Unless Horcoff really wants out…

45. RexLibris says:

Ideally, MacTavish would be able to trade Belanger or Eager for a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Ideally.

I wouldn’t use compliance buyouts of either guy right now, unless it was a key piece to getting the contract numbers down, thus making room for a college free-agent, but we’ve passed that season already.

Granted, it isn’t my money, but when the owner is shelling out many millions of dollars on other players, neither of those two are what would be termed cap crippling salaries.

46. RexLibris says:

watchtower64:
    @JUSTDOIT

Holmgren once signed Bryzgalov, signed Briere,traded Carter and Richards amongst many other questionable moves. Frankly I have no clear sense of what Holmgren would classify as “amazing”

Neither does Holmgren. Have clear sense that is.

In all truth we should probably be hanging some, or a lot, of that on Snider.

47. justDOit says:

watchtower64:
    @JUSTDOIT

Although I have no links for this, it’s widely believed Snyder wanted Bryzgalov on that stupid contract. Holmgren was merely trying to do as told and make the least amount of mess while doing it. Now they’re up against the cap and are making tough decisions.

This is why Holmgren still has a job, so I’m told. If any GM signed a player to a contract like that, and then asked the owner to buy out his mistake only two years removed from inking it – bye bye.

So don’t put too much of this on Holmgren – I think he did a pretty good job based on what he had to do. His main problem was losing the best defenseman in the league to early retirement. To expect the next thing for him to do is give away Couturier, is only buying into the theory that he’s taken leave of his senses. Snyder might be the biggest mess of an owner since The Dog Food King.

48. justDOit says:

watchtower64,

Here’s a link to Snider denying his input on the Breezeglovehand contract, which put together with Holmgren’s continued employment speaks volumes. The article goes on to include a quote from when the contract was signed, leading to speculation that the owner was a principle force.

49. Romulus Apotheosis says:

wheatnoil,

Love the Arco comment (tried to post it earlier and got moderated for some reason).

It implies that size won’t be the only factor on the bottom 6 — despite the subtext Gregor kept adding. Skilled players blocked in the top 6 can find a place for themselves through gumption. Good sign.

His comments on Omark might track the same way.

50. Romulus Apotheosis says:

On Eager and Belanger. Couple of thoughts:

1. those BM tweets signal the death knell of the ST FA sweepstakes: Barker, Sutton, Hordichuk, Eager and Belanger all gone. Potter is all that remains

2. not sure why you would buy those guys out and not simply waive them and/or bury them in the minors. is there a CBA answer I’m not privy to? seems a waste of a contract tool on pretty minor figures.

3. I’d prefer if not a real trade option to try a ‘your garbage for my garbage’ trade to a buy out.

51. Ca$h-Money! says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Agreed. You don’t need 3 gorillas to have an effective checking line, there are plenty of examples of smaller (Brunner) or non-physical (Frolic) players being great in 4th line roles. Arco might be a good fit down there, so long as the supporting cast makes sense. He’s a great even strength, possession focused depth option with a hard shot… as long as his wingers can do the requisite crashing & banging I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. Think of it as an extremely poor mans version of Krejci/Lucic/Horton

52. BlacqueJacque says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Potter was a Renney suggestion almost for certain and I think Potter gets an unfair rap. He’s a solid 5-6 guy who can move the puck on a team in the playoff hunt. Sutton was a very good pickup IMO.

53. Mr DeBakey says:

Burying a player in the minors only buries $900,000 of his Cap hit.
    So, a buried Eager will cost $175,000 against the Cap – no problem.
    But Belanger will show up for $825,000 which could be a bit much if the Oilers plan to take on a big contract – a Bouwmeester for example.

54. BlacqueJacque says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

They probably have no one else to buy out and it saves them money.

Of course, this all backs up my theory that our owner is a paper billionaire and unwilling to trade for a bad contract from a team in cap trouble for buyout purposes, and getting as asset as compensation.

55. Romulus Apotheosis says:

BlacqueJacque:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Potter was a Renney suggestion almost for certain and I think Potter gets an unfair rap.He’s a solid 5-6 guy who can move the puck on a team in the playoff hunt.Sutton was a very good pickup IMO.

I made no evaluative statements on those players. But for the record, agreed.

I’ve said it before, But for the freak injury Sutton was a surprisingly good pick up; belanger was a decent bet (the player not the $$ or the term) that failed; And Potter has proved a very valuable, very cheap depth option.

56. slopitch says:

I’m having a draft party on Sunday. I want to have the TV on the deck so we can hang outside. Is there anyway to stream the draft online?

57. Romulus Apotheosis says:

slopitch:
    I’m having a draft party on Sunday.I want to have the TV on the deck so we can hang outside.Is there anyway to stream the draft online?

last year and the year before TSN.ca live streamed the first day free and NHL.com live streamed the second day.

fifthcartel:

The Oilers would like something back for Horcoff (i.e. say a third round pick so they can draft a goaltender) and pay part of Horcoff’s salary. They would have to pay that money to buy him out anyway. So it is better to trade him, pay part of his salary, and get something back, rather than just buying him out, and just paying him money. (Yeah, I know there are some cap impacts of eating salary),

I think the OIlers buyout Belanger, but not Eager. I might just tell Belanger to find a place in OKC, and hope he retires rather than do that. I wouldn’t buyout Eager. Somebody might claim him on waivers, and he might be a useful depth guy one can shuttle up and down from OKC.

59. lance says:

TheOtherJohn: There was absolutely no reason, NONE, that those pieces could not have been assembled concurrently with drafting 1OV. That was far and away the biggest mistake of the LoweBellini managment. Those character/grit/compete (non Coke machine division) guys should be on our roster already. Now we have to go find and acquire them

You sure they would have gotten any 1 of 1OV’s while fielding Grier types in the bottom couple lines, let alone 3 straight?

MacT’s interview with Gregor makes it sound like he thinks they now they have the high end talent they really needed ten-ish years ago. To me it seems so bloody obvious that after the Heatley Hossa and Vanek debacles, they felt they needed to unload Marchant and others to even begin to be in the play for any real talent.

My only critique is that they seem to have slightly overshot.

60. slopitch says:

Tytuin, Jenner
    for
    Hemsky, 7th

Would anyone do this?

61. Bag of Pucks says:

watchtower64:
    @JUSTDOIT

Good point.

62. Bag of Pucks says:

Bergeron played with a punctured lung. Nice summation at the end of this article.

63. justDOit says:

Bag of Pucks,

You might want to read my replies to that statement – particularly this link:

To assume Holmgren’s senses have flown the nest and he’s going to give Couturier away is flawed logic. If he was really the reason they signed Bryzee to that flawed contract, he’d be out of a job already.

64. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

Bag of Pucks:

Is there a doctor in the house? Trying to freeze injured ribs and puncturing a lung? Is that way out there?

65. Bag of Pucks says:

justDOit:
    Bag of Pucks,

You might want to read my replies to that statement – particularly this link:

Yeah, I tend to agree that Snyder was the driving force behind signing Brzgalov. Shame he now denies it, but as you say, Holmgren keeping his job speaks volumes.

What I question is the trades of Richards and Carter to free up the cap space for that acquisition. They had other candidates at the time Briere, Timmonen, JVR, etc. but word out of Philly is Laviolette questioned Richards and Carter’s dedication because they supposedly partied too hard?

Bad decision to cut those boys lose. They may like their pops a tad too much but both of them are serious gamers.

66. dangilitis says:

Нинтендо⁶⁴,

Depends how deep they were freezing. Can’t freeze a rib, but can freeze the soft tissue around it, and block the nerves that run below the ribs. The outer lining of the lung (pleura) sits just beneath the muscles that sit between the ribs, so yes, its possible to puncture it if you are freezing here. The fractured rib could have pierced it as well, or a tiny part of the lung can rupture due to blunt force from a collision or a butt end of a hockey stick.

67. Marc says:

dangilitis,

Boston Bruins ‏@NHLBruins 4h

PC said Patrice is fine; clarified it was small puncture in his lung that likely happened postgame (wouldn’t have been able to play w/it)^CS
    Retweeted by Bob McKenzie

68. justDOit says:

Bag of Pucks,

About the only hockey executive I can think of who could withstand the monumental fk up of that Bryz contract would be Lowe of the Rings!

Yes, the Richards/Carter moves, while not bad initially (they got pretty good value in return), look much worse after they go win a Cup in LA. Who knows the real reason those players were traded, but other players have sustained high levels of play through substance rumours – Kane being the most recent.

Until someone from that org writes a book, it’s difficult to blame one person. I know this though – every deal by Holmgren from this point out will be highly scrutinized.

69. gcw_rocks says:

I am on record in that I think MacT is a schmuck, but this is nice to hear:

MacT: “We can acquire role players by other means. If you draft somebody who’s inadequate in maybe speed or size but has some skill, maybe he can improve in those areas and offer … significant skill that can move the dial of your team.”

It will be interesting to see if he walks the walk.

70. Wolfpack says:

I think Pittsburgh is going to find a way to extend Letang long-term. Shero tends to be pretty pro-active when it comes to their core players. But assuming they are able to get a deal done soon, I wonder if Pittsburgh needs to move someone like Paul Martin?

I think he has two years left and is a $5 million cap hit but he is 32 and still plays a ton of minutes. Not sure how difficult those minutes are – maybe the advanced stats guys can jump in – but would that be the type of trade that anyone would want to see? Maybe a bit of a short-term overpay, and he is definitely not a bruiser, but I do think he would improve our top-4.

71. leadfarmer says:

Нинтендо⁶⁴,

In skilled hands that is a very simple procedure that is easily performed with ultrasound guidance. You get a punctured lung or pneumothorax with unskilled hands.

72. stevezie says:

Flipping back to the D for a second, I know Paul Ranger makes a lot of sense, but is Andrew Ference not an even better option?
    His TOI is solid second pairing on a good team.

73. BONVIE says:

BlacqueJacque,

Better him than that Nicushkin that would be a train wreck.

74. justDOit says:

stevezie,

Turns 35 in March, and he’s smaller than Gagner – not that there’s anything wrong with that. According to one scouting report I read on Ranger, I can’t see Ference being an upgrade, but I’m not into the adv stats very much. I know my buddy who bleeds black and gold isn’t bemoaning the loss of Ference.

75. stevezie says:

justDOit,

Agree he is a little old, but he is a sure thing. Ideally the team gets a 28 year-old sure thing. I would be content with a 28 year-old with a good chance (Ranger), but I think I’d prefer the 35 year-old sure thing.

76. justDOit says:

stevezie,

Well as you said, his TOI is solid 2nd pairing on a good team. Good team…

77. BlacqueJacque says:

BONVIE,

I agree. I’m worried about Nichushkin’s puck awareness and vision. I doubt the Oilers are considering him at all, they’re high on hockey IQ as an organization. Worse than that, it looks like Nichushkin’s English is even worse than Yakupov’s was (no surprise, Yak spent 2 years in the OHL.) That’d make him hard to coach.

Pass, pass, pass.

78. zilong says:

justDOit,

justDOit,

agreed. long in the tooth, middle of the pack comp, and poor corsi. and likely looking for a raise on 2.25M. No thanks.

I posted this on a previous thread: Mark Fayne. Great fancy stats, under-appreciated (healthy scratch and no love on fan site In Lou We Trust), and low cap hit of 1.3M. Coming into prime as 26yo D. Float a mid round pick over…