10 THINGS WE COULD SEE BEFORE SEPTEMBER

Craig MacTavish told us today he’s done, but I’m not buying. There are 10 things we could see between now and opening day of the 2013-14 season–here they are:

anna

1. Linus Omark traded. There are several teams with holes on the wing. Florida, Nashville and Tampa Bay are possibles.
  2. The fanbase realizing Anton Lander is a player the Oilers believe in. I can’t see any other way to frame the C situation–Will Acton isn’t much of a hurdle–so MacT (a defensive center) sees Lander (a defensive center) as a player of elevated importance compared to the view of the fanbase.
  3. Oilers will add a 2-way winger, someone like Daniel Cleary or Chad LaRose. The cost on these guys is going to be VERY small, maybe even a PTO.
  4. Oilers will grab a big man from the waiver wire during pre-season.
  5. Edmonton will trade Nick Schultz.
  6. Taylor Hall will be named captain.
  7. More and more pre-season predictions will have the Oilers making the playoffs.
  8. Corey Potter will find a new home.
  9. Ryan Hamilton making the team stories will begin to pop up.
  10. Someone will write a story asking if Taylor Hall can score 40 goals this season.

Anything else?

63 Responses to "10 THINGS WE COULD SEE BEFORE SEPTEMBER"

1. mps91 says:

I’d add:

11. Oilers acquire the rights to Kyle Clifford (fingers crossed).

12. Oilers deal Hemsky for a 2-way winger or some size.

2. BlacqueJacque says:

13. Oilers deal Hemsky, Marincin, 2nd round pick for Franson.

3. russ99 says:

Center isn’t that hard to explain.

We’ve committed many minutes to the center position to Nugent-Hopkins, Gagner and Gordon, who was signed and given assurances for 3rd line minutes.

Nuge and Gagner are on the power play
    Gordon and Nuge are on the PK

We’re talking < 9 minutes a night where were relying on Lander, and if he does well, he could earn his way to more ice time.

My only concern is what to do in case of injury. Hopefully the waiver wire won't be ignored this year.

4. jonrmcleod says:

BlacqueJacque,

Are you endorsing that trade?

//13. Oilers deal Hemsky, Marincin, 2nd round pick for Franson.//

I wouldn’t trade Marincin alone for Franson.

Franson isn’t any good. He is an offensive defensemen who can only play 3rd pairing protected defensive minutes. The Oilers have Justin Schultz. Franson adds nothing. He would be redundant. He would just be an overpaid worse version of Justin Schultz.

To put it another way, there is no role whatsoever for Cody Franson on the Oilers. He adds nothing. Zip. Nadd.

6. Rondo says:

Does looking at Sean Bergenheim as a possible target make any sense?

7. Young Oil says:

Does this mean Hemsky will be an Oiler to start the season?

8. hunter1909 says:

11. Oilers finish 6th; make second round in playoffs

12. Dallas Stars games resume uber fan interest as Bruins reject Tyler Seguin can now show his many fans how he stacks up facing Taylor Hall several times a season

13. Horcoff’s removal exacerbates so many rotten eggs, apples and with the stench of the past forgotten a brand new era immediately dawns starting on opening night – win lose or Bettman point. Star’s games bonus interest point.

14. Gagner centres Yakupov and Hall; who together will rekindle Slats’ Blair MacDonald strategy

15. Perron instantly shows enough to make everyone forget Pajaarvi; MPS meanwhile goes on to a close to Selke winning career in St. Louis – an everyone wins trade

16. Steve Tambellini will continue to never be heard from

17. MacT proves that he understands the Oilers by creating the logjam for defence positions – new coach ends up using every one of them before the end of the playoffs

18. Jordan Eberle will make the Olympic team by unanimous choice by Christmas

19. Taylor Hall finishes in second place for the Hart trophy

20. Belov becomes the fan’s favourite as soon as he makes his first hit.

Summertime flu stinks

9. Rondo says:

hunter1909,

You need a Nurse

10. oliveoilers says:

well, you could make #10 true tomorrow…

oliveoilers:
    well, you could make #10 true tomorrow…

I already said he wouldn’t

12. Hammers says:

BlacqueJacque:
    13.Oilers deal Hemsky, Marincin, 2nd round pick for Franson.

Nuts to that . Hemsky to Washington for Chimera & Maybe a 2nd .Marachin makes this team in 14-15 .T.O. keeps Franson .LT’s list doesn’t include a 3 for 1 that his wanted since season end so maybe it happens .

13. Manitoba Oilers says:

Lowetide: I already said he wouldn’t

Cloutier said yak will score 40 haha

14. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Apparently no one wants Hemsky:

15. yellow p0ne says:

Hey, LT. I really appreciate all the work you do. I’ve been a lurker around here for a while now, and I’ve finally decided to make an account. You’re easily my favourite blogger, and I just wanted to say thanks.

BlacqueJacque:
    13.Oilers deal Hemsky, Marincin, 2nd round pick for Franson.

Toronto won’t take Hemsky. The only reason they’re considering trading Franson is for a salary dump. They only have 5 million to sign both Franson and Kadri. Nonis is only taking prospects and picks.

16. Dead Cat Bounce says:

yellow p0ne:

Toronto won’t take Hemsky. The only reason they’re considering trading Franson is for a salary dump. They only have 5 million to sign Franson and Kadri. Nonis is only taking prospects and picks.

The Leafs will buy out JM Liles in the next 48 hours so they can sign both Franson and Kadri.

Yelloe Pone: Thanks, glad you joined the band!

18. Dead Cat Bounce says:

godot10:
    //13. Oilers deal Hemsky, Marincin, 2nd round pick for Franson.//

I wouldn’t trade Marincin alone for Franson.

Franson isn’t any good.He is an offensive defensemen who can only play 3rd pairing protected defensive minutes.The Oilers have Justin Schultz.Franson adds nothing.He would be redundant.He would just be an overpaid worse version of Justin Schultz.

To put it another way, there is no role whatsoever for Cody Franson on the Oilers.He adds nothing.Zip.Nadd.

In the playoffs, Franson played 22:49/G, (3rd among defensemen) led the Leafs defense with 3G and 3A in 6GP ad kept his head above water at 0 while the other top 4 defensemen, Gardiner -3, Phaneuf -6 and and Gunnarsson -7, got torched.

Just because a 25 year old defenseman is playing behind others, doesn’t mean he can’t step up.

19. BlueNoteNorth says:

11. MacT pronounces Joensuu’s name correctly.

20. prairieschooner says:

Not sure if there is a buy out window ?

Buyout Hemsky
    Buy whatever free agent you need

It would probably save money but not a very honourable thing to do to Hemmer

Oilers buyout window is gone.

22. magisterrex says:

Taylor Hall is not going to be named Captain. MacT already gave it away with who he heaped praise on their character. SAM GAGNER will be the next Captain of the Oilers.

Book it.

23. BlueNoteNorth says:

Good. I would prefer Hemsky than cap room.

I wonder what the best offer was for Hemsky? Clearly not enough for MacT to make the move.

24. Bar_Qu says:

hunter1909,

Glad to hear you haven’t expired.

The Oilers need another not top 2 defenseman like they need to trade away a center. No Franson, thank you.

25. Mr DeBakey says:

hunter1909: Horcoff’s removal exacerbates so many rotten eggs

How the hell does one exacerbate an egg, rotten or otherwise?

26. LP says:

So how is it that Toronto can buy out players but not Edmonton?

I think Hemsky not being traded is a combination of the salary cap coming down and not a stellar season last year. I’m on #TeamHemsky all the way.

I really hope Hall gets the C. Gagner? I don’t buy it.

27. McSorely Head says:

For those of us old enough to remember the early days, it was a shock when Slats said Messier would be Captain at some point, since Wayne was the Captain at the time. And yet, it was perfectly obvious, his on-ice leadership was clear. Messier had so much talent, and incredible competitiveness.

The way that on-ice, Hall reminds us of early Messier also makes us conclude that it is he who shall next wear the C. What we don’t know is what he’s like in the room. I suspect he is Messieresque.

28. BlueNoteNorth says:

LP:

I really hope Hall gets the C.Gagner? I don’t buy it.

Given that the Oilers tend to trade Captains, I’m liking Gagner over Hall.

29. delooper says:

Hall strikes me as a far gentler, modern-man type than Messier.

LP:
    So how is it that Toronto can buy out players but not Edmonton?

The 2nd buyout window depends on when the teams last arbitration hearing is scheduled. The Leafs still have Franson’s hearing. The Leafs have already used both compliance buyouts so a Liles buyout would have cap implications going forward.

The Leafs are clearly looking to sucker another GM into taking Franson, since they have Rielly and Gardiner to give Franson’s cherry PP time and buttersoft 3rd pairing D minutes to. Plus, they signed Ranger, who is not only better defensively than Franson, but probably is a better PP option. I expect the Leafs to walk away from an arbitration award to Franson if it is over $1.5 million. (I think Franson is asking for over $3 million).

Corey Potter is probably as good or better than Cody Franson.

31. Kris11 says:

I suspect they give the C to Eberle, for what it is worth.

32. LP says:

BlueNoteNorth,

Ya I see what you mean there. I really doubt it happens before 2022. (but I’d love for Hall to retire an Oiler)

godot10,

Thanks for the explanation. But would it not make more sense to trade Franson instead of walking away from him?

I’m still hoping for LT’s 3 for 1…..

33. Dead Cat Bounce says:

godot10: The 2nd buyout window depends on when the teams last arbitration hearing is scheduled.The Leafs still have Franson’s hearing.The Leafs have already used both compliance buyouts so a Liles buyout would have cap implications going forward.

The Leafs are clearly looking to sucker another GM into taking Franson, since they have Rielly and Gardiner to give Franson’s cherry PP time and buttersoft 3rd pairing D minutes to.Plus, they signed Ranger, who is not only better defensively than Franson, but probably is a better PP option.I expect the Leafs to walk away from an arbitration award to Franson if it is over $1.5 million.(I think Franson is asking for over $3 million).

Corey Potter is probably as good or better than Cody Franson.

Franson has not filed for arbitration. Nor have the Leafs.

Every player who filed has already been signed.

Your assertion that Potter is better than Franson is laughable.

Franson – 48GP 4G 25A 29P

Schultz – 48GP 8G 17A 19A 27P

Potter – 33GP ( On the worst defensive team in hockey) 3G 1A 4P

Franson is the real deal whether you like it or not.

34. Manitoba Oilers says:

Kris11:
    I suspect they give the C to Eberle, for what it is worth.

IMO he would be my 5th choice behind Hall Gags Smid Yak

35. Brackenburied says:

BlueNoteNorth:
    11.MacT pronounces Joensuu’s name correctly.

33. And his theme song is Johnny Cash’s “A Boy Named Sue”.

LP,

If Franson did not file for arbitration, the Leafs are still in a buyout window because of Fraser’s scheduled (and avoided) arbitration window.

37. Dead Cat Bounce says:

godot10:
    LP,

Yes they are.

And they will buy out JM Liles in the next 48 hours.

38. Gerta Rauss says:

I’m not going to quote “he who shall send you to comment moderation”, but there is a 48 hour window after your last arbitration case is settled. He’s correct, Franson did not file for arb(he’s not eligible).

I don’t follow the Leafs at all, so I don’t know who did file for the Leafs, or if all there arb cases are concluded, but it appears Liles could be bought out with a moderate cap penalty this year(enough relief to solve their problems this year)

Dead Cat Bounce:

Your assertion that Potter is better than Franson is laughable.

Franson– 48GP 4G 25A 29P

Schultz – 48GP 8G 17A 19A 27P

Potter – 33GP ( On the worst defensive team in hockey) 3G 1A 4P

Franson is the real deal whether you like it or not.

40. Dead Cat Bounce says:

godot10: Corey Potter had 4 goals and 17 assists the year before this year (in 62 games) when he was getting all the PP time that went to Justin Schultz last season.

And?

Franson, has far more points in fewer games.

And he scored 16 points 5V5 in 48 games.

Potter scored 10 at evens in 62 games.

41. LP says:

Well, I just made a quick trip to TSN and ya, Franson isn’t on the list of RFAs waiting for arbitration.

I honestly don’t know. But surely Toronto still has his rights but what happens next?

Anyways, this team needs a 1D and another 3C.

Another couple weeks, gentlemen.

42. gvblackhawk says:

Dead Cat Bounce,

I’m not so sure about that. The buyout cap hit stays on the books for six years.

If I was a betting man, I would say Liles gets traded for spare change.

43. LMHF#1 says:

Really want to see the end of “(Blank) is a player the Oilers believe in” and more of “(Blank) is a player that simply can’t be ignored”.

The Oilers (including most of the current crew) believed in Jean-Francois Jacques and a host of other talentless bums that many could see would not make a difference. This was often at the expense of development opportunities and coaching attention for people like our friend Mr. Omark. Decisions like this could very well keep Toni Rajala off the team, even if he is one of the top 12 forwards at camp.

It is BS. The best hockey players should make this team. That’s it.

44. bookje says:

The Story of Taylor Hall and his 40 Goals

Once upon a time in the NHL season of 2013/14 Taylor Hall scored 40 goals, Ryan Hamilton made the team, and everybody lived happily ever after. Also the Oilers made a 3 for 1 trade.

The End

Also

I predict the Oilers make the Playoffs

#7 – Check
    #9 – Check
    #10 – Check

45. gvblackhawk says:

Dead Cat Bounce,

Even if they manage to keep and sign Kadri and Franson, they start to run into problems next season with the following UFA’s: Kessel, Bolland, Kulemin, and Phaneuf. Plus Reimer and Gardiner are RFA’s. That’s a tall order to re-sign or replace those players, each of whom will be looking for raises.

46. Dead Cat Bounce says:

gvblackhawk:
    Dead Cat Bounce,

I’m not so sure about that.The buyout cap hit stays on the books for six years.

If I was a betting man, I would say Liles gets traded for spare change.

Could be.

There are rumours the Leafs will trade him back to Colorado.

They could use him.

47. gvblackhawk says:

Dead Cat Bounce,

That would make a lot of sense for both teams.

48. Nightman_ says:

What does it take for Hemsky to work his way into the top six? Or is there a glass ceiling? How does Eakins divide/decide on ice time? I’m alright with competition for top six minutes.

49. hags9k says:

It’s nice to have a few strong options for the C. I’d give it to Hall but Gagner or Ebs wouldn’t surprise me or bother me.

After reading the Nuge RE…He will be a great 2 way player but offensively, given his skill and the teammates, I really think his future upside is to challenge for Art Ross. Once he is healthy, 15 lbs stronger, and the game starts to slow down for him, better put on your welding goggles.

Since I absolutely don’t pull my weight around here with regards to pushing the conversation forward with math, today I have some fun numbers, although totally off topic. Justin Schultz had 75 combined points in his first pro season. Wow.

50. Lucinius says:

Nightman_,

Short of injury I don’t see Hemsky cracking the top six this year. I do, however, expect there will be not-uncommon times when that third line pairing of Gordon-Hemsky is joined by a double-shifted Hall.

51. gvblackhawk says:

hags9k,

That’s a very optimistic outlook on RNH’s future. He is a very gifted player, but as long as Sidney Crosby stays healthy, no one will beat him in the scoring race for the next 5 or 6 seasons.

52. hags9k says:

gvblackhawk,

It sure is, and I have to really look in the mirror to make sure the rose glasses aren’t on. But there’s no reason to think he can’t win an Art Ross. This is a #1 overall sublime playmaking talent who will be centering the likes of Hall, Yak, Ebs for years. It’s far from a certainty but Crosby will have to hand the torch to somebody, may as well be Nuge.

53. nycoil says:

Re: #5 You’re probably right. And no letter on the sweater come camp would be the giveaway. But unless he is part of your vaunted 3-for-1 I can’t see any interest in him at his cap hit, age, and boxcars until someone’s blue line gets hit with an injury. What kind of return are you thinking? Can’t see him bringing back more than a mid-round pick or an end-of-the-roster forward unless we eat 1.5M of the cap hit.

54. rickithebear says:

Dead Cat Bounce: Your assertion that Potter is better than Franson is laughable.

Yes Potter the Dman with the best evenGA in the game is laughable.
    POTTER WAS THE BEAT EVEN GA DMAN IN THE GAME LAST YEAR.
    NUMBER 1.

I puy zero value in PPpoints for Dmen.
    Paying for PPpoints is a huge waste of the Cap.

lookat the average PPpoint total for dmen. then see thneresulting difference.
    Also lookat the average GF rate on the PP and see if a player is over or under.
    look at GF and GA for even play.
    look at GA on the PK.
    reducing 1 GA on the PK has equal value to being 1GF better than average.
    That is why [petry who had superior affect on PK vrsus letangs PP performance and and petry’s superior even play makes him have a superior affect on winning.
    So a smart Gm would target highly mobile dmen who display a very strong even assist rate and realy good GA. those same D men should have a strong skill.

idealy you want a even first pairing real strong on the PK. so your top even pairing comes inthe cheap range.
    you want your 2nd psi dmen to be of the same comp structure.
    you want 3rd comp sd to get limited minutes but be highly effective EvenGA and Strong on the PP.
    this very structure should get you best bang for buck.
    if need be you run 11 forwards and 7 Defence.

Smid and Petry
    3rd best 1st comp GA dmen
    who are top 40 in PKGA, Blocks, hits.
    Ference
    strong 2nd comp GA and strong PK.
    Belov
    top 10 +/- and points KHL
    grebeshkov
    well below EVGA average facing 2nd comp.
    top 10 on PP last year swith MacT.

MacT is a very smart man!

55. fifthcartel says:

If Ales Hemsky was Alex Hemmey from Saskatchewan, he would be revered.

56. Rocknrolla says:

hags9k:
    It’s nice to have a few strong options for the C.I’d give it to Hall but Gagner or Ebs wouldn’t surprise me or bother me.

After reading the Nuge RE…He will be a great 2 way player but offensively, given his skill and the teammates, I really think his future upside is to challenge for Art Ross.Once he is healthy, 15 lbs stronger, and the game starts to slow down for him, better put on your welding goggles.

Since I absolutely don’t pull my weight around here with regards to pushing the conversation forward with math, today I have some fun numbers, although totally off topic.Justin Schultz had 75 combined points in his first pro season.Wow.

Ya, I was wondering what the new NHLE from vollman at that age would put our young 4some at for a full total for the year weighted. Ahl x weighting + nhl actual = adj to 82 games.

All our Ahl kids had a great year…but when you do the math with Jultz it’s crazy…

I mean him and Ebs led the league 2 MONTHS after leaving!!! Insane AHL numbers.

God bless us!!

57. russ99 says:

IMO, Ference is a lock for the C.

Been there, seen it all, knows how hard the kids will need to work to progress to a contender. Plus the cup ring speaks volumes in the room.

Still a bit to early for the kids. I’m thinking Hall and either Eberle or Gagner for the A’s.

58. mayorblaine says:

Why do we trade Nick Schultz? What gains are made? Has MacT shot enough arrows to hit the target, that makes a functional NHL defencemen expendable. I suppose i don’t understadn his value or lack thereof.

59. Ca$h-Money! says:

fifthcartel,

no. His last season where he produced at a good clip was 5 years ago. Race card doesn’t need to be played here.

60. thebiggestmanintheworld says:

Ca$h-Money!,

If Alex Hemmy had his last good season 5 years ago, and then battled through injuries on a shitty team for 5 years, he would be revered. Or at least, less critizied, maybe.

Face it. Ales hemsky is not judged on his hockey talent when most people evaluate him as a hockey player.

A shame too.

He was our Hall before we remembered what a Hall was….

61. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ca$h-Money!:
    fifthcartel,

no.His last season where he produced at a good clip was 5 years ago.Race card doesn’t need to be played here.

If we are using “produced at a good clip” as the bar… he clears it every pro year from 05-11, the only exceptions being his first two pro seasons, the lockout season and the last two seasons*

*if we include the lock out last year, he produced at a stellar clip in the Czech league this year. He’s still got it, just needs health and opportunity.

62. goldenchild says:

Dead Cat Bounce: Apparently no one wants Hemsky:“Speaking at Rexall Place during the Oilers’ Hockey School on Wednesday, MacTavish addressed Hemsky’s future and said he now believes he can be a useful piece for the club.“We all know how good he is and we all know what an impact he had the last time the Oilers made the playoffs,” he said. “We’re hopeful that given this new environment and more competitive team going forward, that’s really going to play to Ales’ skill set and he’ll be able to help us.”With a $5 million cap hit, MacTavish admitted he found little interest from other teams in the 29-year-old forward, but was comfortable with Hemsky remaining an Oiler.”

I read this as Mac sees value in 83 and doesnt see the need to just give him away like he did with Horc or pay a piece of his salary. I know the MSM narrative is that top 6 is set and there is no room for him but 2 things when is the last time we saw lines set before training camp and stay that way all year? half a year? 2 weeks? 2. If one of the skileld wingers gets hurt ( and we know this is a likely event) who can step in and play with and against good players besides 83?

You add in that he still has a place on the 2nd PP and again Im not convinced that one of the top 2 lines doesnt include Jones or the Finn and there will be plenty of opportubites for Ales to play with skilled players this year.

63. DeadmanWaking says:

As much as we don’t know how otherworldly RNH might someday become, he’ll never distort time and space for the players around him (on both teams) in quite the way that Crosby does. It’s really up to Hall to perform that function of distorting and tilting the ice, to bring the play to RNH so he can work his pinwheel hex.

I think Coffey performed that function for Gretzky. I visualize this as when they hit the burners on aerodynamic, interstellar spacecraft with front-facing cabins and all the stars immediately hit the windshield and bleed off to the edges like so many white and blue fireflies releasing stiff streaks of Tahnee Welch Cocoon juice.

Once Coffey had the puck “it takes all the skating you can do, to keep in the same place.” Except for Gretzky. Like some kind of massless neutrino, when everyone else jacked up the wings on their boots to barely maintain formation, he just saw everyone else turn into traffic cones making hasty lane commitments that he could parsec in a nanosecond.

Gretzky generated plenty of stress for the opposition all on his own, but his best years occurred when he was able to amplify stress that began with the headlong rush from the back. RNH can drive possession (with his ninja cat back-check) and he can amplify stress originating from other sources (Hall, Eberle, Yak, JS) but he can’t tilt the ice all on his own in the way that made Orr, Lemieux, Messier, Lindros, and Crosby famous.

See what your opponent gives you in the way of openings and exploit them. If he keeps his right hand down and he’s an orthodox fighter, set up a combination that ends in a hook. Get him thinking about other areas of his body, then land a hard punch to his weakest point.

That’s the RNH role, dangling the probing jab and opening lanes for the iron fist that follows. More art, less roustabout. He’s not going to win the Art Roustabout.

Another way to do it is to become a human Yak-B gyrating acrobatically on parallel, gimbaled motor blades.

[Phased out for not providing] enough firepower against dug-in or lightly armored targets that did not necessitate a rocket attack.

Our enhanced Yak-B has a rocket launcher in his back pocket which deploys automatically upon sighting blue paint. And even when he can’t see the blue paint, he’s going to spray some through from the undernose sniping system.

The rocket-enhanced USS Yak-B has a high rate of fire and is also one of the few self-powered guns of the Gatling type.

Back when the Russians were a distant threat, there was often a televised broadcast warning, which I’ve updated slightly:

The network is not experiencing difficulty. Please stay tuned and do not adjust your agoggles.