CLOSING TIME

There are times in life when pressure can make a person do funny things: closing time  is one of the major culprits. Every male reading this is nodding his head yes, and I suspect a few females will be as well: deadlines lead to desperation and desperation leads to bad decisions.

SHOPPING!

anna

1. Walden Galleria, Buffalo NY: There are several players of interest for the Oilers, I’d suggest Tomas Vanek (who we have talked about before) and Drew Stafford (who Jim Matheson has talked about before) are possibles.
  2. Polo Park, Winnipeg MAN: Blake Wheeler is an unsigned rfa and is probably looking for a pretty penny. The Jets have some holes in their lineup, possibly the Oilers could help them out. The price would be dear.
  3. Galleria, St.Louis MO: The Blues are like a staging area for big, heavy forwards and as always they have a ton of them. Not quite a PF, David Perron brings a nice skill level to his game and does have some grit. I don’t know what the cost will be, but he’s apparently available and that’s a pretty important item at this point in the summer.
  4. Yorkdale Shopping Centre, Toronto ON: The Leafs have themselves in some cap glue and the Oilers could lend a hand. Nikolai Kulemin is my choice, you may prefer someone else. Leafs have some nice things, but those free agent deals make it difficult to sign the entire roster.
  5. Crabtree Valley Mall, Raleigh NC: The Hurricanes are rumored to be signing Jaromir Jagr any minute now, and perhaps that means Tuomo Ruutu shakes loose. Oilers would be well advised to be in on that, he’s not a big man but his skills are a nice match for the Oilers.
  6. The Pru, Boston MA: The Bruins are doing fine on the cap but there have been rumblings about Brad Marchand so I’m including him on the list. He isn’t a big guy, but man he’s a helluva hockey player. All day. ALL day.

WHAT ARE THEY LOOKING FOR?

wash hands

At this point, teams dealing with the Oilers will be needing one of two things: cap space or defensemen. The blue list is getting quite long and MacT said yesterday he’d like another, please.

1. Jeff Petry
  2. Ladislav Smid
  3. Andrew Ference
  4. Justin Schultz
  5. Nick Schultz
  6. Philip Larsen
  7. Anton Belov
  8. Corey Potter
  9. Oscar Klefbom
  10. Martin Marincin
  11. Taylor Fedun
  12. Brandon Davidson

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

kunis1

Very cool stuff on the show today at 10, hope you can tune in (Team 1260). Scheduled to appear:

We’ll have open line plus texts at 10-1260 and of course twitter @Lowetide_. Really looking forward to it, hope you can tune in!

220 Responses to "CLOSING TIME"

« Older Comments
  1. G Money says:

I do believe that a number of players on our team will be changing spellings as follows:

Tääylor Hääll
    Nääil Yääkupov
    Jordään Eberle
    Jäästin Schäälz
    Sääm Gäägner
    Däävid Perron
    Läädislääv Smid

A lack of ä – easily as important as grit – will not be allowed to happen.

I fear for Petry though.

2. spoiler says:

godot10: Ken Hitchcock may have just acquired a bigger faster stronger 22-year old Jere Lehtinen.

Or he might not have.

3. Romulus Apotheosis says:

This is interesting… from our own WG:

WOODGUY says:
    July 6, 2013 at 5:54 pm
    I like Perron and think he’d fit 2LW pretty well.
    Given his injury history and that he’s under contract for 3 more years I’m a little leery.
    I bet they would want Paajarvi though.
    I’m not sure I do that deal.
    12/13 5v5 pts/60
    Pajaarvi 1.54
    Perron 1.58
    Perron did it against tougher comp, but also had better line mates.
    Pass, not enough of an upgrade and concussion history scares me.
    Therefore MacT will do it.

4. McSorely Head says:

Is Kyle Wellwood available?

5. Profit says:

Tencer bringing all the analytic answers:

Dan Tencer @dantencer
    MacTavish on specific analytics re: Perron: “He’s right up there with controlling the play and shots for and against differential.”

6. justDOit says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    This is interesting… from our own WG:

WOODGUY says:
    July 6, 2013 at 5:54 pm
    I like Perron and think he’d fit 2LW pretty well.
    I bet they would want Paajarvi though.
    I’m not sure I do that deal.
    12/13 5v5 pts/60
    Pajaarvi 1.54
    Perron 1.58
    Perron did it against tougher comp, but also had better line mates.
    Pass, not enough of an upgrade and concussion history scares me.
    Therefore MacT will do it.

He may as well change his screen name to ‘Nostra-damnus’!

7. McSorely Head says:

And why all the umlaut love? You’ve got to admit, Tåŷłør Hâll has the look.

8. commonfan14 says:

Lucinius: Tell that to Hall who had a skate blade nearly open his head like a melon!

Not nearly enough gets made of that. A couple inches over and it would have been career ending. Just imagine how awful that would have been.

Although Hollywood tells me he would have eventually found is true calling, not to mention the love of his life, at pairs figure-skating.

9. justDOit says:

The 2nd round pick going away had better be into the 50′s – if this turns into a 35th overall, I’ll be taking a keen interest in anything other than hockey.

10. bookje says:

justDOit: He may as well change his screen name to ‘Nostra-damnus’!

He’s Garfield!

11. PunjabiOil says:

That is the price you have to pay to acquire a legitimate top 4 guy.

This team needs to start winning now, not later.

7 years.

It’s enough.

12. G Money says:

Romulus Apotheosis: 12/13 5v5 pts/60
    Pajaarvi 1.54
    Perron 1.58

With all due respect to Woodguy, who is obviously clairvoyant, a more fair analysis of Perron would include a few more seasons. Going back four seasons, his ESP/60 look like this:

1.61* (I get a different number from Woodguy: 19 ESP over 709:57 mins ESTOI = 1.6056 ESP/60)
    2.12
    3.12 ** (he only played 10 games this season so this number isn’t truly a valid sample)
    1.8 *** (same age as Paajarvi and his 1.54 ESP/60)

If you’re going to compare the 2, it would be more fair to suggest that Perron is likely to fall in somewhere around 1.8-2.0 ESP/60 against tough comps.

13. Romulus Apotheosis says:

PunjabiOil: To quote Lowetide, I’m having a beer, and then I’m having another.

Glad to hear your sad is taking a nap :)

14. FastOil says:

Bold moves indeed. Given “every team in the league” was calling you would hope more value was realized. The second made it a bit rich for me especially given Perron isn’t really an ideal player type for the current Oiler roster.

MacT went out behind the woodshed methinks. He needs a good visit in Banff with Sather for some mentoring.

15. G Money says:

FastOil: This trade was “small scrambled melon scorer with grit” for “big fast healthy cheap youth with high potential”. No second needed.

No. In your discussion of Perron, you missed the word “proven”. No one is going to trade Perron – a proven 2LW with a career best of .74 ppg for MPS – a possible 3LW with potential to be a 2LW – straight up.

16. khildahl says:

Wow.

Right after lunch I said, “Huh, LT’s site is pretty quiet today. Maybe I should do some work and stay off the internet.”

The lesson here is “less productivity, more blogs”, right?

17. Doomoil says:

FastOil:

i’m sure it was mact that threw in the second all on his own.

i’m sure a lot of people phoned about maggie. how many of those calls resulted in an offer worth considering?

if you think gms are going to trade legit 2nd line players for 3rd liners straight across because of ‘potential’ you’re crazy. now you can argue that the second was too much, and i would have much rather seen a third or fourth.

18. Captain Happy says:

Traktor:
    Just waiting for DSF to drop by and tell us we lost the deal.

Thanks for asking.

I think this is a win-win deal.

STL needed a bit of cap room and have far too many NHL quality forwards.

Perron missed parts of 2 seasons because of a concussion and has been injury free since, playing all 48 games last season.

Worth noting, the season he came back from injury, he played 57 games, scoring 21 goals and 42 points.

Given the differences in systems, (Hitchcock always tries to win 1-0) I can easily see Perron scoring close to 30 goals and 65 points with a good centre.

As for Maggie, I’ve always through his ceiling is Jannik Hansen so turning a potential 3rd line defensive specialist into a potential 30 goal scorer just entering his prime is easily worth a 2nd round pick sweetener.

STL will have Paajarvi as 4th on their LW depth chart behind Steen, Jaden Schwartz and Sobotka who they plan to move to LW and he’ll have to battle Dmitrij Jaskin for that spot.

Jaskin scored 46 goals and 99 points in only 51 games in the Q last season so I wouldn’t be surprised if Paajarvi eventually goes back to Sweden.

« Older Comments