CLOUDS

It’s funny: no matter how hard we try to grab control of things, major events that impact our lives often occur with us in the next room. I hope Sam Gagner gets what he wants today and do hope whatever happens he’ll land in a good spot and enjoy a productive career. He’s worked hard for this moment, and he’s earned it.

Sam Gagner is a wonderful hockey player, his passing ability is incredible and 89 has that thing–that special thing–that allows his brain to recognize when the timing is right and the pass should be made. I’ve seen him make passes to wingers too surprised to react, and the puck sails through the infield, out of harm’s way. I’ve seen him make a headman pass to a screaming winger tape to tape, on the fly and that winger never had to break stride. I’ve seen him say to hell with it and start a fight–the act of a crazy man–and I’ve seen him put on a display that will never be forgotten. I’ve also seen him adjust to being a secondary player–a difficult thing to do for such a talent–and I’ve seen him grow into the older brother role on this team.

If anecdotal evidence is to be believed, he lit the match that sparked the flame in the acquisition of Justin Schultz, and he has posted some nice boxcars since he arrived here in the darkest days of the on-ice franchise. If this is a sail on, then it’s a fractured one, way to soon for everyone, and a damn shame.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

mystery train

We’re back! After one week of completely ignoring the Oilers, I’m back and fresh as a daisy. There’s not much happening–we’re in the dog days of summer–but there might be a story or two we can jump start long enough to fill two hours. Scheduled to appear:

• Tyler Dellow from mc79hockey. He is going to be ‘ranty’ but I promise to say the words ‘Sam Gagner’ before he goes off.
  • Lance Achtymichuk from the Humboldt Broncos. Lance is a scout and I’m going to trick him into telling me things. Important things. We’ll talk about the scouting process, advance stats, I’ll get his pin #, should be good.
  • Rob Soria from Oil Drop. Rob doesn’t believe Sam Gagner is a good fit long term on a $5M deal, and I’m going to yell at him, play sound effects while he talks and speed up his voice. I wouldn’t do any of that, but I’ll be THINKING it as we talk.
  • Cody Nickolet from WHL from Above. Cody does an outstanding job with draft eligibles each year, we’ll talk about the Oilers WHL picks, the surprises overall and get a nice start on the 2014 draft.
  • Jill Horbay from FC Edmonton. Eddies are back for the second half, we’ll talk about new recruits, offense and winning the second season.

@Lowetide_ on twitter, 10-1260 via text and the world could crash in so there may be other guests. If Dellow’s on for more than an hour send the cops.

268 Responses to "CLOUDS"

Newer Comments »
  1. Ben says:

Probably a stupid question – but once the arb rules, is that a take-it-or-leave-it contract, or is there still room to negotiate a longer term?

2. Redwood Original says:

Less than 30 minutes until the deadline to sign, according to the twitterverse.

I suppose the smart money is on the arbitrator now. Can the arbitrator split the asking prices, or do they have to ‘pick a side’?

3. rich says:

Welcome back LT.

Where’s the picture of Scarlett Johansson?

D-Day for Sam. Another reason to stay tuned. Hope they get this worked out before they go in front of the arbitrator this morning. With the Oil lowballing the number from their perspective, it will be very difficult for there not to be any lingering hard feelings.

We wait.

Once the arbitration begins, I believe the process of negotiation ends. They can negotiate right up until that point, though. Afterward, the team can refuse the decision and Gagner can walk as a free agent at that time–that won’t happen.

What will happen is the Oilers will have contracts stacked up now–89, Nuge, Justin Schultz–and that’s not going to be pretty. They’ll have more cap room next summer but Gagner will be very tempted to see what’s on the other side of free agency.

I expect he’s gone if they enter the room. By the deadline is my guess.

5. theres oil in virginia says:

From the NHLPA website:

Hearing Date AM/PM Player Club
    July 22, 2013 AM SAM GAGNER EDM

It’s on!!! I wonder if they start at 9 EDT? I’m thinking these things are in Toronto.

Great looking show today, especially the lead-off man. This means, of course, that work will bite me in the ass at…oh I’d say about 12 noon EDT! Thank god for podcasts, though.

6. Ben says:

I can’t stand the suspense. Will Sam’s new contract be a boy or a girl?!?!?!

I hope there’s no 21 gun salute when they go in.

8. bookje says:

Well, they have 2 minutes to settle this or it goes to arbitration. We may need to wait a year to know if MacT played this right.

9. Mark-LW says:

/crosses fingers hoping for last second deal

10. Ryan says:

I’m tired of talking about Clouds. How about another Sam Gagner thread please?

11. BlacqueJacque says:

If Mac allows this to go to arbitration, it’s the first failure of his regime. The others (Schneider, Clarkson) were merely attempted failures and the fates intervened.

bookje:
    Well, they have 2 minutes to settle this or it goes to arbitration.We may need to wait a year to know if MacT played this right.

If they walk in the room, they’ve played it wrong. The right play here was to sign him long term and then deal him if required. The rumored 4.5M times whatever isn’t going to buy free agent seasons. They’ll be paying more next summer, and that’s if they get the chance.

He’s free as a bird 12 months from now. What a terrible group of decisions.

13. Ryan says:

It’s either gone to arb or we haven’t been updated:

Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris 34m
    Sam Gagner’s salary arbitration hearing with the #oilers is scheduled to start in 30 minutes. Tick tock.

14. Romulus Apotheosis says:

theres oil in virginia: I’m thinking these things are in Toronto.

Ben: Will Sam’s new contract be a boy or a girl?!?!?!

They are planning on lighting up the CN Tower blue or pink today. Must be for Sam!

Now… what do those colors mean?

15. Ryan says:

Wow, looks like Sam’s in his arbitration hearing.

16. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Type “Gagner” into twitter search and realize many aren’t that interested in Sam. They are just French people obsessed with winning.

17. Ben says:

Done! Phew.

Rishaug just tweeted they’ve settled on a deal! Don’t know details, off to work please post!

19. Redwood Original says:

Wow, Rishaug saying they settled. Right down to the wire.

20. G Money says:

Lowetide: Afterward, the team can refuse the decision and Gagner can walk as a free agent at that time–that won’t happen.

I think in the new CBA that a team cannot walk away from an award > $3.5M (confirm?).

21. vesci says:

Rishaug reporting deal done. No details yet

22. G Money says:

F, I need to get to work!!! Damn these ET arb hearings!

23. russ99 says:

Just gotta point out one thing, Sam is within his rights under the CBA to take this to arbitration. Can’t blame the player for looking after his career and future earnings.

Also, this is all due to Tambellini’s failure of last season, Mac T’s only fault was not caving on the NMC, if that report is to be believed, with minor fault in talking Sam up in the press, which his agent was sure to notice.

Should be an interesting day, and I hope that both sides are still saying good things about the other after the hearing. Hopefully this doesn’t end with Sam walking as a UFA…

24. Mark-LW says:

Oilers and Sam Gagner have settled on a deal avoiding arbitration.

25. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 1m
    Oilers and Sam Gagner have settled on a deal avoiding arbitration.

Colby Cosh ‏@colbycosh 1m
    See how Royal Baby brings all together. “@TSNRyanRishaug: Oilers and Sam Gagner have settled on a deal avoiding arbitration.”

someone else on the silly path^^^

26. DBO says:

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 37s
    General Manager Craig MacTavish announces the #Oilers have agreed to terms with Sam Gagner (@89SGagner) on a 3-year contract.

27. BlacqueJacque says:

Mark-LW:
    Oilers and Sam Gagner have settled on a deal avoiding arbitration.

Sauce? Details?

28. russ99 says:

Whooo hoo!! made us all sweat there.

3 yrs is a good term, I wonder how close to $5.5M that Mac T had to go…

29. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Twitter says 3 year deal… no quality source yet.

30. Ryan says:

3 year deal? Whew. Mact strikes again… Jason Gregor called it.

31. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Twitter says 3 year deal… no quality source yet.

DBO:
    Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 37s

Missed that one… that’s a good source haha…

sidebar: their social media guy/girl is really on top of things!

32. Mark-LW says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Oilers tweeted it.

And my other tweet was from Rishaug obviously, I couldn’t copy the header info, wasn’t excluding him on purpose.

33. Mark-LW says:

Now we wait for the 3 year x 6.25 million dollar announcement :D

34. Ryan says:

Looks like the clouds today were a good omen… so much for pathetic fallacy.

35. Mark-LW says:

4.8 per according to Bob

36. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Mark-LW:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Oilers tweeted it.

I wasn’t calling anyone out… just passing along info… but all I saw was randoms saying 3 years… so I was trying to be cautious.

I don’t “have” twitter” just open it up in a tab and hit the search button, so I’m not as adept at it as others.

37. bookje says:

$4.8 per

38. Redwood Original says:

3 years $14.4M according to Kypreos

39. Kitchener says:

Surprise – I was expecting 1 year or 5-7.

The main perk here is that by the end of 3 years, all questions about Sam (“can we win with him & RNH?” “complete player?” “consistent offense?” “still growing?” etc.) will be resolved and the value on his next contract will be easy to peg.

Win for Oilers: 3 more years of Sam

Win for Sam: $$$$, plus he’s UFA again at age 26

40. Mark-LW says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Ya that sounded wrong. I wasn’t trying to be defensive to you about it.

41. bookje says:

Ok, nothing critically wrong with that and it avoids a nasty one year contract that would have a negative affect on the room .

42. GordM says:

Good on MacT for keeping it below 5…well done. And good on Sam for not playing hard ball to the point the Oil had to go into the 5s. Building a culture of taking slightly less than the market likely would have given when UFA years hit is critical to long term success. I’ll assume one team out there would have gone 5+ on a deal next summer.

43. Redwood Original says:

Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 8s

Gagners deal has a no trade, no move as well. Was critical to the deal getting done.

44. Mark-LW says:

Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 29s

45. jake70 says:

Any info. on a NMC? Even if there is one and it’s full term, only 3 years.

46. DBO says:

so $4.8 per year. Like it. Solid both ways. He has trade value, although I expect we’ll hear he has a no trade
    Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 1m

and there ya go

Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 59s
    The no trade and no move kick in next season, when his UFA years would have started.

47. russ99 says:

Mark-LW,

I’d assume that’s for year 2 and 3, since he can’t have one for his last RFA year as per the CBA.

48. Ryan says:

Redwood Original:
    Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 8s

Sam’s GF just started a 2-year residency program in Edmonton. Makes sense.

49. slopitch says:

I think 3 years x 4.8 has to be considered a win. The number is manageable and provides incentive to Sam to play for the next contract. Good contract for both sides.

50. rich says:

Good deal for both sides. MacT brings it in under $5mil/per so he can continue to build around the cluster. Gagner is a UFA at age 26 and has a chance to prove himself.

51. Mark-LW says:

jake70,

It kicks in next year

Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 1m

52. Jesse says:

I feel like everyone’s really forgetting about the arbitrator here. The guy never gets to do anything! He’s like Joaquin Gage that one year. Never sees any action.

53. Ryan says:

slopitch:
    I think 3 years x 4.8 has to be considered a win.The number is manageable and provides incentive to Sam to play for the next contract.Good contract for both sides.

Absolutely. Worst case scenario would have been a one-year arbitration award in terms of asset management. A close second would have been 5 years at $6m if the contract became an albatross.

Overall, great outcome and work by Mact.

54. jake70 says:

Jesse:

Haha, was thinking the same thing. Probably brings in crossword puzzles for these things, or paperwork he needs to get caught up on.

55. russ99 says:

Kind of odd that this went to the wire, Sam gave up a bit of salary and Mac T gave up NTC.

Probably should have been done weeks ago.

56. slopitch says:

Well Im glad we all agree here :)

57. Mark-LW says:

Now I can’t wait to hear the Leafs sign Kadri to 8 x 8 million

58. slopitch says:

I think they always could agree on terms quicker. That’s the way negotiations are… a game of chicken.

That stupid lockout was a complete waste too.

59. RexLibris says:

Good deal. I’m not enthused that MacTavish has handed out two NTC/NMCs this soon in his tenure, but he’s also traded one in Horcoff’s contract so he obviously feels that they can be negotiated.

Now, shall we reset the Armageddon clock to Justin Schultz/Nugent-Hopkins? My money is on Schultz taking longer, even until June while Nugent-Hopkins slots between $5.5 to $6 million on term similar to Hall’s.

60. Ca$h-Money! says:

russ99,

It was in Gagner’s best interest to wait to the wire; if he knew weeks ago the Oilers would pay 14.4/3years he would have set the bar at 14.8/3year or more.

It’s always easy to say “this should have happened” but the reality is that in a negotiation time is a key poker chip… there is no way this deal gets done any time other than this morning if one camp or the other (likely the Gagner camp) isn’t ready to sign until this morning (barring a massive overpay of course).

Good job MacT.

61. theres oil in virginia says:

Wow! That’s freaking stellar. LT got his wish of $4.x M. Gagner must have really backed off in order to stay (and avoid arbitration). Thanks Sam. MacT rocks!

62. khildahl says:

Wow. I was sure there was no way he was getting less than 5…

I don’t mind the NMC at all on that price and term. MacT is a damn warlock.

63. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“Sign Sam Gagner to a multi-year deal that has begins with a number in the 4′s”

Done.

MacT is flying through this list!

64. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Sam Gagner ‏@89SGagner 9m
    So happy to remain an Edmonton Oiler for at least three more years. Thanks to everyone for the support. Time to get to work. #Oilers

65. bookje says:

khildahl:
    Wow.I was sure there was no way he was getting less than 5…

I don’t mind the NMC at all on that price and term.MacT is a damn warlock.

Calm down. It’s an ok deal, but not at all a bargain. Kudos to MacT for getting it done, but its not warlock material.

66. Romulus Apotheosis says:

according to TSN:

“The two sides reached a deal just hours before they were scheduled to go before an arbitrator on Monday.”

So… they just had us all sitting on pins for a couple of hours to fuck with us… Theatre! (in a jon lovitz voice).

67. khildahl says:

bookje: Calm down.It’s an ok deal, but not at all a bargain.Kudos to MacT for getting it done, but its not warlock material.

He would have gotten at least 5.5 and term as a UFA. In today’s NHL, it’s absolutely a bargain.

68. Ca$h-Money! says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

HA!

“Theatre!” (Jon Lovits voice). Well played sir, well played. I knew exactly what you were going for there.

69. oliveoilers says:

That’s the day’s business out of the way. Now, I believe there was a mention of a Scarlett Johansen article? Make with the goods, LT!

70. theres oil in virginia says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I just noticed that, too. I’m wondering if that should read “just seconds” though! Maybe they settled early this morning, but I can’t imagine they were up at 4 AM doing this deal, were they?

71. Yeti says:

Right now I’m so happy with this I could just kiss Scarlett O’Gagner.

72. markasread1199 says:

So does this mean @mc79hockey won’t be “rant-y” on today’s show?

73. BlueNoteNorth says:

The ball is clearly in MacT’s court now. He has Gagner under contract through the RNH, Schultz and Yakupov contract renewals. Judging overall value will be much easier three years from now.

And If Gagner is not in his long term plan, he has one year to pump and dump a reasonable contract that gives the buyer 2 years of security.

MacT nailed his first big contract negotiation.

74. Romulus Apotheosis says:

What the date when that NTC/NMC kicks in?

and what’s the likelihood Gagner makes it past that as an Oiler?

I’d give Gagner a 70% chance of making it.

75. Captain Smarmy says:

Atta boy Sammy. We can still be friends.

76. sumaclab says:

NTC.NMC. After 2013-14. Really if he puts up 65 points this season why would you trade him? Good deal. 4.8 x 3. The term is perfect. Giving him a 6-7 term would have been an albatross. Good move and the fact that MacT comes through with his promise to sign Gagner speaks volumns. And Romulus he signer Dennis Grebeshkov and Taylor Fedun this past week.

So far the list still needs a bottom 9 forward. And a new home for Hemsky. I still see a trade waiting in the wings with Philly. I think they decided on the player they want to keep. It was Courtier. I think a Coborn/B.Shenn for 1/2 Hemsky and 2014 1st round pick.

77. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

A contract terminating with a NMC is horrible for the org. Everyone is gleaming over not losing the talent today, but in 3 years he can veto any trade and enter UFA while the Oilers get squat. He played a strong hand into a massive one.

That means MacT has until next summer to decide if Gagner is worth losing for nothing if he digs his heels in next time… which one can assume is quite likely considering this deal.

Considering that, I think Gagner over-played his hand here. Should have added an extra year with a least a limited NTC. As it stands I think he still only has a 50/50 shot at entering his NMC as an Oiler (unless many verbal promises were made I suppose). Too much for the org to lose.

EDIT: otherwise glad it is done and at a decent rate.

78. fanoil says:

Lets hope Sam learns to play D like he negotiates. FIERCE

79. supernova says:

Rom,

I still can’t believe you don’t have Twitter, for as big of Oiler fan as you are.

You’re missing out!

80. Professor Q says:

BlueNoteNorth,

Although he has a NMC…

81. Tarkus says:

So Richard Cloutier (known by his friends as Clouds) was right all along.

82. DBO says:

So we are at 24 NHL contracts with Hemsky still to move. So maybe it’s Hemsky and one of our dmen (we have 9) to a team who want vets. We eat some contract from one or both (if Schultz Sr. is the dman), and hopefully add a solid two way player for our bottom 6 and a pick or prospect.

So who and where?

83. sliderule says:

This is a very good contract for Gagner and the oilers.

In three years we will know what have with Sam Hall Ebs Nuge and Yak.

You can be pretty sure that the whole group will not be here at end of Halls contract.

This gives the oil time to separate the wheat from the chaff.

84. BlueNoteNorth says:

Professor Q,

Can not start until after his RFA year as per CBA.

85. supernova says:

till_horcoff_is_coach:
    A contract terminating with a NMC is horrible for the org.Everyone is gleaming over not losing the talent today, but in 3 years he can veto any trade and enter UFA while the Oilers get squat.He played a strong hand into a massive one.

Considering that, I think Gagner over-played his hand here.Should have added an extra year with a least a limited NTC.As it stands I think he still only has a 50/50 shot at entering his NMC as an Oiler (unless many verbal promises were made I suppose).Too much for the org to lose.

EDIT: otherwise glad it is done and at a decent rate.

till_horcoff_is_coach,

Gagner can clearly see that he is not considered a “untouchable”

He wants to stay in Edmonton and the only way for him to do that was to prove he is a better player than he has already shown and to get a NMC, to insure he isn’t the most “trade able” asset if he does.

Good work Gagner.

For the Oilers to have 3 more years of Gagner is good work for them as well.

If he reaches the level he thinks he can, the oilers would gladly resign him at the market value.

Win win.

86. russ99 says:

till_horcoff_is_coach,

Had Gagner wanted that, he could have gone to the hearing and been a UFA next year.

This works out good for both sides. If Sam plays the way he’s capable of playing, he’s part of the core for 3 years. If he plays below the expected level, then we can deal him before next season.

As for Hemsky, I really prefer we go into the season with him. He’s got little trade value, there’s no way we can come close to replacing him and his salary isn’t a big deal since the cap crunch starts next offseason.

I’d prefer to keep him until the deadline, and add two more low-cost bottom six options for training camp. Something like Raymond or Boyes at wing and Reasoner or Steckel for our 4th/5th C.

87. Romulus Apotheosis says:

sumaclab: NTC.NMC. After 2013-14.

supernova:
    Rom,

You’re missing out!

Hahaha! Outside of commenting on Oiler blogs, I don’t exist in the social media world. One day I’ll get around to it. probably.

Gagner gives $600K per season for a NMC. Lifestyle decisions based on his and his SO’s short term situations.

One presumes Gagner also has a non-contractual promise from MacT that he won’t be traded before the NMC kicks in.

This is an absolutely beautiful contract for both sides. In a straight up poll, Gagner contract or Scarlett Johanssen, I might vote for the Gagner contract! -)

I hated the Paajarvi deal. I hate MacT a little less today.

89. Jon K says:

This strikes me as a backup deal, something that the parties agreed on in advance while trying to get something more aggressive worked out.

With that assumption, I can see that perhaps the team wanted something longer term, but Gagner’s stronger bargaining position allowed him to enjoy the benefit of demanding a much higher salary for years 4-7. Gagner can reasonably expect some decent numbers in the heart of his career, playing either with Perron/Yakupov or Hall/Eberle, so I don’t fault him for insisting on something closer to $6.0 in those years.

It’s a little puzzling that they couldn’t work out a 4 year $5.0 million deal, but without more information it’s hard to tell what the dynamics truly were.

90. Professor Q says:

BlueNoteNorth,

Yes, of course. I meant the security issue…wouldn’t Gagner and not the buyer have that security? If he regresses (I don’t think he will, I am a huge Gagner fan) that puts them in a bind.

91. striatic says:

crisis averted.

clearly Gagner took much less in money and term in return for the NMC.

i’m not a fan of the full term NMC, but the shorter the contract, the less of a problem it is.

an extra NMC free year would have been ideal, but given that MacT kept the cap hit under 5, i’ll take that tradeoff.

92. thebiggestmanintheworld says:

I thought Sam wouldn’t settle for a penny lesss than $5 million per. Shows what I know….

Good deal for both sides right now, but as has been noted above, Sam still has the hammer in 3 years time…

We can worry about that later, though, for now I’m just going to enjoy this….

93. striatic says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I know the year, I meant the date. Does anyone know… I expect we’ll being starring at that day for the next year.

94. striatic says:

and jesus is it weird to see Edmonton so close to the Cap.

95. Undisclosed_Personal_Reasons says:

till_horcoff_is_coach:

EDIT: otherwise glad it is done and at a decent rate.

Agreed. Gagner has ensured that he’s going to get UFA dollars during his prime and got market value now. The only reason 5m+ sounded reasonable was b/c it was long-term and didn’t involve a ntc/nmc. 4.8m that’s not long term and gives Gags all the power isn’t cause for celebration.

I’m relieved to have a 2nd C. That said, trading Gags before his nmc/ntc kicks in might not be the most popular idea but it’s the least shortsighted.

96. supernova says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I think they haven’t set the dates yet, but it usually is June 30.

This year made them off a little with the lockout.

97. BlueNoteNorth says:

Professor Q,

Security for the buyer is having a Group 3 player under contract for 2 more years. It will have considerably more value than a player a few months away from UFA at the trade deadline. How he performs over that term is always a guess and a gamble.

98. Bushed says:

Sam’s twitter assumes 3 more years here, but we know year 1 can’t contain a NTC.

Does MacT really give Sam a verbal promise for year 1?

I can see him saying something like “your play will dictate whether you stay”, but that might mean “I’m staying if my play stays the same or improves” for Sam, but MacT might be thinking “if you take it to a whole new level I may have to rethink trading you at the deadline”.

The extra years add value in a trade.

I will be very interested to hear MacT’s exact choice of words on this deal.

99. striatic says:

Undisclosed_Personal_Reasons: I don’t get how this is a clear win by MacT. Three years from now the comments about MacT might read a lot like the comments on Tambo’s handling of Gagner’s contract.

i think the comments will be more along the lines of this was the best MacT could do, and at least we had Gagner two additional years instead of losing him as the youngest UFA in NHL history.

i don’t think this is a clear win, but the immediate crisis has been averted and i think MacT made the best of a terrible situation he had been put in.

100. remlap says:

So is anyone having a beer and then having another this early on a Monday morning?

101. BlueNoteNorth says:

Professor Q,

Plus the buyer does not have to accept the no trade clause if the player is acquired before it comes into effect.

Gagner has become a very valuable trade piece if MacT is so inclined.

102. Ca$h-Money! says:

BlueNoteNorth,

Not sure that is true. I believe rather that once a player with a no trade clause has been traded (they waived the clause to go to a team they liked) then the clause disappears going forward… believe this was the ruling on Visnovsky.

103. longway says:

striatic:
    and jesus is it weird to see Edmonton so close to the Cap.

ha! at first glance I read Cup…

104. Hammers says:

Called it yesterday . $ 4.8 a year but for 3 years . Great job McT .

105. BlueNoteNorth says:

Ca$h-Money!,

Different situation, the clause was already in effect.

In Gagner’s case,

“If the Player is Traded or claimed on waivers prior to the no trade or no move clause taking effect, the clause does not bind the acquiring Club.” CBA 11.8(a)

Gagner’s no trade clause cannot start until his RFA year is over.

106. denny33 says:

I like the number, but a nmc for gagner?

Really?

1) Hated all the bravado talk of bold moves.
    2) Massive praise for Krueger was over the top and disingenuous.
    3) Clarkson attempt was frightening.

1) Like the MPS trade

Unsure about the NMC for a very diminutive 2c. Have to learn more details.

107. Rondo says:

Damage control, they couldn’t trade him because the return was too low. So they did the best they could do in a bad situation.

108. theres oil in virginia says:

I wonder if Sam’s no-move clause for next year is MacT talking about how important he is to the team. Tough to go and trade him after talking that way (cough, cough, Kruger, cough). Interested to see if his verbal stays on that course.

109. bookje says:

MacT probably cannot give Sam a verbal NTC – it would likely violate the CBA. He can probably say something like – “I have not intent to trade Sam in the next year”. In any case, by agreeing to the NTC for the final two years of the contract and being prohibited from including an NTC in the first year, it is very unlikely for MacT to trade Gagner over the next year because of the reputation affects. It’s costly for a GM to be an asshole. You can be a tough negotiator, you can make use of your rights as a GM, etc, but when you go against the spirit of a contract, it costs you in future negotiations. So,unless there is some overwhelming reason to trade Gagner in the next year, I don’t think it happens.

110. Germoil says:

Does the signing of this contract and the fact the Oil are so close to the cap mean there is a possibility of Hemsky being moved for cap space? ex: a late round pick?

111. Truth Movement says:

From Dreger

Darren Dreger‏@DarrenDreger5m
    Gagner deal with Oilers: (1)$4.4mil, (2)$5mil and (3)$5mil. No-trade and no-move in year 2 of 3 year deal…only. Interesting contract.

So a No Move on only the middle year. Am I reading that wrong? If true, interesting.

112. Manitoba Oilers says:

Hopefully MacT extends Gagner and Perron a year before they are ufas

Looks like each side got something they wanted and also gave up something to the other side.

Good, middle of the ground deal. Oilers gave up a flexibility by granting the NMC, Gagner gave up a bit of $ to get it.

I agree with those who say the 3 years was probably driven by Gagner’s girlfriend (fiance?) starting her 2 year residency at UofA hospital.

At the end of year 2 Oilers and Sam can re-evaluate where they see the future while his (assuming) wife will be a free agent too and plans can be made for both sides.

Not everything is about wringing the last dollar out of the cloth.

Also,

$4.4MM this year, the $5Mx2 is reasonable on the Oilers side given past performance, the free agent market for centers and the cap moving north after this year.

Not a lot to dislike about this.

Good job MacT!

*clap,clap*

114. Kris11 says:

NTC isn’t worth much in Edmonton because the team and the city know how to run someone out on a rail better than any team/city in the world. “He’ll beg to be traded to the Isles when we’re done with him.”

All said, this isn’t a bad deal. The downside is the term, which could lead to Gagner leaving in his prime for nothing, or requiring a big overpay as a UFA, but that all started when they started his ELC too early, and may have been inevitable. Oh well.

115. khildahl says:

Truth Movement,

If that’s right, that’s a hell of a contract for the Oilers.

116. Colonel Obvious says:

This is an absolutely great deal for the Oilers. They managed to get an annual value under $5M and got a short term. That’s the best of all possible worlds.

Remember long term free agent deals are always to the advantage of the player. Teams only sign them to bring the yearly total down. If you can get a reasonable number without giving up term you have done great.

The no trade clause is only fair for such a team friendly deal.

117. bookje says:

Truth Movement: asonable on the Oilers side given past performance, the free agent market for centers and the cap moving north

The fact that his girlfriend is in a two year residency and that the CBA does not allow a NMC in the first year (due to it being a RFA year) is the reason. Gagner really wanted a 2 year NMC it would seem.

If there is no NMC in year 3 that is a great deal as MacT or whoever is GM then can use the possibility of a trade at the deadline for leverage for a new contract OR can trade Gagner for some picks/prospects or whatever else.

118. LMHF#1 says:

The number is fine. What I don’t get is the structure of the no-move. So, you can’t trade him in year 3 even if he won’t re-up unless he agrees to void – correct?

If he plays respectably he has management over a barrel big time on that next deal.

119. gcw_rocks says:

The Oilers would be well served to trade Hemsky and sign Grabovski. Then at next year’s draft trade one of Gagner or Grabovski for a top pairing defenceman. Gagner’s contract will have real value at that cap hit. Plus that would allow the team some real depth at centre this season.

120. FastOil says:

striatic: “and MacT really doesn’t seem like the type to go back on his word.”

Ralph Krueger might debate that ;)

121. Truth Movement says:

LMHF#1:

It would appear you CAN trade him in year three. Check Dreger’s tweet.

122. Romulus Apotheosis says:

striatic: i doubt it. given the AAV under 5 million, there’s got to be a verbal component to this deal covering the next year, and MacT really doesn’t seem like the type to go back on his word.

I imagine if there was a verbal it was couched. MacT has made concessions to people in public (RK, DD) and then chased better options.

MacT, and all other GMs really, are unpredictable enough that I feed pretty confident in projecting a general, but modest, concern over Gagner’s fate over his first year.

I mean really… Gagner is such a lightning rod, no matter what the deal there was going to be people staring at dates, other options, trades, buy-outs, etc.

123. Jordan says:

Truth Movement,

LMHF#1,

It’s also clearly stated in the TSN article:

“The average annual value of the deal is $4.8 million, and contains both no-trade and no-movement clauses for the second year of the package.”

So the third year they can negotiate an extension, or trade him at the deadline.

That’s a huge improvement on this deal. Bravo MacT!

124. Romulus Apotheosis says:

gcw_rocks:
    The Oilers would be well served to trade Hemsky and sign Grabovski.Then at next year’s draft trade one of Gagner or Grabovski for a top pairing defenceman.Gagner’s contract will have real value at that cap hit. Plus that would allow the team some real depth at centre this season.

or move Gagner to the wing. extra Cs are always a good idea. sign Grabo anyway.

125. LMHF#1 says:

Truth Movement: It would appear you CAN trade him in year three. Check Dreger’s tweet.

I see that now. Weird. Much better terms with that in place.

126. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Jordan:
    Truth Movement,

LMHF#1,

It’s also clearly stated in the TSN article:

That’s a huge improvement on this deal.Bravo MacT!

That basically takes this deal from win to massive win!

127. LMHF#1 says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Sign Grabo anyway.

This. This. This.

Now.

128. Soup Fascist says:

MacT protected an asset. Had it gone to arbitration unlikely Gagner signs with Oil next year without testing UFA market and – given potential Canadian TV revenues figuring in – the cap is likely to go up and lots of trigger happy GMs with more bullets would have overpaid.

MacT did not have a lot of cards to play and did as good as he could have, IMO. Bought two years of Gagner’s prime UFA years at a reasonable price. Argue all you want about Gagner’s effectiveness as a 2C, but he was an asset that could not be squandered and a one-year arbitrated agreement would have been total mismanagement of an asset.

129. Kris11 says:

Grabovski unlikely to come to team so packed im the top-6.

130. Kris11 says:

Yeah, limiting the no move to year 2 makes the deal better.

Not aure a Gagner remtal has much value, but the team that has the rights to a pending IFA can offer an 8 year deal, while at best other teams can give a 7 year deal. That means the rights to a UFA Gagner plus one year of him as a rental, has some value, if they wamt to move him.

If his girfriend’s career is important to them, and she did residency in Canada, they can never move to the U.S. and so Gagner would always have to play in Canada.

131. Jordan says:

Holy crap there are a ton of UFA centres available.

Steckle’s the name that stands out to me for the depth we want.

Any other names stand out to you guys? Is there a compiled list somewhere?

132. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Jordan:
    Holy crap there are a ton of UFA centres available.

Steckle’s the name that stands out to me for the depth we want.

Any other names stand out to you guys?Is there a compiled list somewhere?

see these articles:

ps. I like Steckel for the role a lot. Thoresen is an interesting option too. That Kontiola would have been are real nice pickup.

133. LMHF#1 says:

Kris11:

Um, no.

134. striatic says:

Jordan:
    Holy crap there are a ton of UFA centres available.

Steckle’s the name that stands out to me for the depth we want.

Any other names stand out to you guys?Is there a compiled list somewhere?

135. fuzzy muppet says:

Now MacT has to find 2 capable bottom six guys and one center and the work should be over for this off season

136. LMHF#1 says:

striatic: there isn’t the cap space left to sign these guys, unless you eject Hemsky or a Defense Guy somehow magically.

Nick Schultz.

137. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I think there’s a pretty good chance one or both of those things happen… not magically.

Or, as LT mentioned, they could still buy out Hemsky.

When does this second arbitration buy out winder close?

ps. I think a Hemsky buy out is a crazy idea. doesn’t mean they won’t try it.

138. Ca$h-Money! says:

fuzzy muppet,

And he pretty much has to trade 2 (or 3) of N. Schultz, Potter, Larsson, Eager, Hemsky for at least 1 NHL level asset in return.

139. striatic says:

Ca$h-Money!:
    fuzzy muppet,

3 for 1!

140. striatic says:

Ca$h-Money!:
    fuzzy muppet,

i think Eager and one of Potter or Larsson are virtually guaranteed to be waived, so no trade required although a trade would be ideal.

141. Andropod says:

Truth Movement,

According to David Staples in EJ this morning: “The deal has a No Movement Clause in only the second year of the deal, Kypreos says.”

Article here: http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2013/07/22/edmonton-oilers-sign-sam-gagner-to-a-three-year-deal/

142. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I think any of these players might yet join by opening night:

Coburn, Ranger, Clifford, Smith, Steckel, Thoresen (or Euro equivalent)

and these fellows might be out:

N. Schultz, Hemsky, Smid, Potter, Larsen

143. striatic says:

Andropod: “The deal has a No Movement Clause in only the second year of the deal, Kypreos says.”

if true, MacT is a witch.

144. Jordan says:

Actually, Edmonton has more than 1M in cap space now, and if Lander isn’t on the team because they sign someone else (or if someone like RNH starts the season on IR for his shoulder recovery) then they have another 1+Million around.

Somehow… I think the Oilers can find a 4C for 2+M per.

To be quite honest though, if they aren’t going to sign a Steckel for a 1.5×1, I’d rather just invite 5 of them to camp and see who wants it the most.

4C is important, but its much easier to fill than 2C (both by cost to hire & size of qualified candidates field).

145. bookje says:

Andropod:
    Truth Movement,

Article here:http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2013/07/22/edmonton-oilers-sign-sam-gagner-to-a-three-year-deal/

146. supernova says:

Woodguy,

bookje,

Woodguy:

Good, middle of the ground deal.Oilers gave up a flexibility by granting the NMC, Gagner gave up a bit of $ to get it.

Not everything is about wringing the last dollar out of the cloth.

Also,

Not a lot to dislike about this.

Good job MacT!

*clap,clap*

I agree great deal by MacT.

I know the family of the above mentioned girl, not a fiance, it may be fair to say “lady friend”

In my opinion Gagner definitely “outkicked his coverage if he can sign her up to a contract.”

She is from a total class act of a family and she really is the full package in every way. If i were her parents i would not be a big fan of having her be with a professional athlete. Money is not even remotely an issue for her or her family. Absolute first class family.

I would still think that the negotiations for a NMC had alot to do with Gagner knowing he is the most tradeable asset for good value now and in the near future. If he has a chance to be on this team when it changes to a winner he wants to be here.

147. TheOtherJohn says:

Nice contract

148. Numenius says:

bookje: According to ANDROPOV in this blog, according to David Staples in the Edmonton Journal, according to Kypreos on Twitter – the deal has a NMC in only the second year.

Love this. Excellent deal by McT.

149. Jon K says:

I agree with the assessment of Sam’s beau being “a lady friend”. My knowledge of the situation suggests it would be a poor decision to rely on the relationship to tie Sam to Edmonton.

150. Romulus Apotheosis says:

You guys know a lot about the personal lives of these players.

——–

151. supernova says:

Jon K,

I would agree with that. I would think the No move is more about his place on the team.

Not saying the other won’t progress

As a Oiler fan I think we should all want Hall, Eberle, RNH, Yak and Schultz to also find Edmonton girls.

152. supernova says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Haha, sounds like it. not really though, sometimes you realize how small the world is though.

This one shocked me. I have met plenty of players and i prefer not to know most of them myself.

Not that they are bad people but you tend to look at the differently good or bad when you know them.

153. striatic says:

Romulus Apotheosis: so… do we think now that the RFAs are handled that MacT will unload a final flurry of moves… or will he relax into the summer and maybe tinker around TC?

i personally think MacT is done until TC.

the fact that Joensuu is MacT’s signing means that he is comfortable with the player. LW is filled with Joensuu there, unless you move Smyth which isn’t going to happen.

i don’t think you want to put any more pressure on the cap this year in case you need to make a mid-season move.

the one thing i can maybe see is signing a 4C, since that puts Lander in OKC and frees up some salary for the signing, but i think the 3LW we all want is something that won’t happen.

154. Romulus Apotheosis says:

striatic: i personally think MacT is done until TC.

I don’t think MacT is as constrained as you think.

155. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Now that Gagner is signed, can we get back to our Tower 7 and fluoridation conversation?

156. striatic says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I still think you have to assume that any moves are contingent on either being very minor or Hemsky/N. Schultz moving on.

I don’t think MacT is as constrained as you think.

so many teams are up against the cap now, that i think moving either of those guys is going to be extremely difficult, even if it is just for a pick.

the only team i thought seriously had a chance at trading for Hemsky was New Jersey and they just signed Jagr so forget that.

i just don’t see the interest in N. Schultz from any team with the cap space to take him.

very tight market right now, with half the league within 3 million of the cap.

157. Jordan says:

Just listening to your show LT – listening to your thoughts about the captaincy.

So, you think Smid could wear an A, but not a C, huh?

Why do you hate Smid so much LT?

158. Магия¹º says:

Logical. That 3rd year without an NTC facilitates not moving him before RFA ends.

supernova:
    Woodguy,

bookje,

I agree great deal by MacT.

Inmy opinion Gagner definitely “outkicked his coverage if he can sign her up to a contract.”

Thanks for the clarification.

160. Rebilled says:

Nice job by the Houndslayer to lock up Samwell in Winterfell for 3 years for that much gold.

The future of the Pardubice Prince remains unclear.

We wait.

161. watchtower64 says:

Nice dealings by MacT and the Gagner camp.
    Now a $1+mil a yr for Reasoner or Steckel,
    Be a tad touch and go to begin the season until everyone gets their legs and finds a niche. I’ll cross my fingers and hope that maybe this years Oilers can fulfill some of the potential.

162. Young Oil says:

Yakupov was named to the preliminary Russian Olympic squad! Has lots of names to beat out, but it’s a good sign!

No Belov or Grebeshkov though…was that to be expected?

163. justDOit says:

supernova,

We’ve had reverse osmosis 5-stage for years now, which I believe gets everything out. The downside to that is that it removes all the minerals from the water too.

Ok – now I’m really off to work. Really.

164. Romulus Apotheosis says:

anyone else having trouble loading the live stream 1260?

mine crapped out on me a couple of minutes ago. restarting it isn’t working either.

Yakupov gets an invite to Russian Oly team. Belov doesn’t.

Interesting to see Nikitan get an invite. Really like that player.

Edit: Young Oil beat me to it.

166. BlacqueJacque says:

This place is starting to sound like TMZ.com/oilers or something, with all this girlfriend talk.

Now that he has his contract, I hope Sam decides to play defence this season.

Romulus Apotheosis,

My stream is fine.

Young Oil:

No Belov or Grebeshkov though…was that to be expected?

Grebs wasn’t expected to be invited.

Given the NHLers who weren’t available for the WHC (or who didn’t want to go) it makes sense that Belov got bumped.

169. watchtower64 says:

What would be the logical chances of Hemsky being sent to New Jersey?
    Jagr and Hemsky… it could fix potential scoring needs for the Devils.
    Anyone other than Larsson? Josefson maybe? M. Tedenby?
    Oil could eat a bit of hemsky’s salary and still have a bit of wiggle room.
    Thoughts?

Also,

Another point to show how awful of an coach Randy Carlyle is:

Scratches Jake Gardiner for most of the year.

Gardiner gets an invite to the USA Olympic camp.

171. BlacqueJacque says:

Woodguy,

Seriously. I don’t know how the Leafs made the playoffs, but I’m confident that Carlyle had nothing to so with it.

Ok, I’m not DeeEssEff, but its eerie that our posts are identical.

173. Young Oil says:

Are people who are not named to the preliminary roster still able to make the team?

174. Romulus Apotheosis says:

justDOit: We’ve had reverse osmosis 5-stage for years now

I only use a 6-tiered plus-integrated binary matrix introfibrillation gromet. It’s the only way to attain a true purity of essence.

175. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Woodguy:
    Also,

Another point to show how awful of an coach Randy Carlyle is:

Scratches Jake Gardiner for most of the year.

Gardiner gets an invite to the USA Olympic camp.

Gardiner was recovering from a concussion.

His defensive play when he came back from injury was pretty spotty so the Leafs sent him to the Marlies until he could right the ship.

The Oilers should have sent Junior back down too at the end of the season…he was drowning.

176. BlacqueJacque says:

Woodguy,

heh, today is not your lucky day. Keep getting beaten to the punch by seconds.

177. BlacqueJacque says:

Dead Cat Bounce,

At that point, Schultz the Younger was helping our draft position.

178. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy:
    Also,

Another point to show how awful of an coach Randy Carlyle is:

Scratches Jake Gardiner for most of the year.

Gardiner gets an invite to the USA Olympic camp.

Watch him get praised by the Spectors of the world for teaching him a lesson, keeping him honest, making him work for it, or some other bullshit.

EDIT: I see Spector’s number one fan has already covered the bet.

—–

strange… I wonder if something is up with my internet connection. anyone else have trouble with the 1260 stream, or was it only me?

Here’s a list of the Canadian invites to camp on D:

Karl Alzner 6’3″ 217
    Alex Pietrangelo 6’3″ 201
    *Brent Seabrook 6’3″ 221
    Marc Staal 6’4″ 207
    PK Subban 6’0″ 216
    Marc-Édouard Vlasic 6’1″ 205
    *Shea Weber 6’4″ 233

According to 80% of Oiler fans and Media 9 of those 17 wouldn’t be welcome on the OIlers because they are not 6’2″ or taller, don’t deliver THUNDEROUS CHECKS, and aren’t HARD TO PLAY AGAINST.

180. BlacqueJacque says:

Woodguy,

I don’t think it’s a surprise to anyone that Oilers fans are among the dumbest in the league.

Dead Cat Bounce: Gardiner was recovering from a concussion.

182. "Steve Smith" says:

Do you know who I’ve always found it easiest to play against? Small but really skilled players who score a bunch of goals on me. Easy as pie, playing against those guys.

BlacqueJacque:
    Woodguy,

I think its 80% of all hockey fans and MSM in most markets.

“Steve Smith”:
    Do you know who I’ve always found it easiest to play against?Small but really skilled players who score a bunch of goals on me.Easy as pie, playing against those guys.

Barely break a sweat while losing 5-2.

185. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Woodguy: According to those I follow on twitter and read on SB Nation who are rabid Leafs fans, Gardiner was good to go from the outset.

I watched pretty much every Leaf game last season and, by eye, he was struggling when he first came back.

Carlyle has a pretty shot leash on players who make mistakes in their own end.

Link to both MacT and Gagner talking about the contract:

Not sure if its in the thread already.

187. BlacqueJacque says:

Woodguy,

Yet somehow it’s only in Edmonton that the Tom Potis and Tom Gilberts and Miro Satand get chased out of town.

188. Romulus Apotheosis says:

BlacqueJacque:
    Woodguy,

Seriously.I don’t know how the Leafs made the playoffs, but I’m confident that Carlyle had nothing to so with it.

Dellow made a crack on twitter after the Grabo buy out and Clarkson signing that teams should be angling for Toronto’s 1st rounder next year.

189. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Dead Cat Bounce: Carlyle has a pretty shot leash on players who make mistakes in their own end.

That explains 0 of his coaching decisions from last year.

190. theres oil in virginia says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

My stream dropped at almost quarter til the end of the show, but I’m pretty sure Verizon is sucking today and that’s what caused it. Or aliens.

191. BlacqueJacque says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Well, given how desperate MacT was to hang the team from the salary cap noose with his own Clarkson offer, I feel less confident about making cracks on Twitter about it. We are very lucky that the fates intervened and both Clarkson and Gillis took temporary leave of their senses.

I doubt even LT would bother defending MacT if those deals had gone through.

192. Romulus Apotheosis says:

theres oil in virginia: Or aliens.

Fluoridians?

193. "Steve Smith" says:

Dead Cat Bounce: I watched pretty much every Leaf game last season…

Spoken like a true Oilers’ fan. Or like a true fan of “well-managed teams”, for that matter.

194. Romulus Apotheosis says:

BlacqueJacque:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Well, given how desperate MacT was to hang the team from the salary cap noose with his own Clarkson offer, I feel less confident about making cracks on Twitter about it.We are very lucky that the fates intervened and both Clarkson and Gillis took temporary leave of their senses.

I doubt even LT would bother defending MacT if those deals had gone through.

There but for the grace of Gord go we.

All the same that pick has a good shot of being of high value.

195. stevezie says:

Woodguy,

No Dan Girardi? How is this possible?

196. bookje says:

Woodguy:
    Link to both MacT and Gagner talking about the contract:

Not sure if its in the thread already.

Good to see how happy Sam is to be playing for the Oilers.

Newer Comments »