It’s funny: no matter how hard we try to grab control of things, major events that impact our lives often occur with us in the next room. I hope Sam Gagner gets what he wants today and do hope whatever happens he’ll land in a good spot and enjoy a productive career. He’s worked hard for this moment, and he’s earned it.
Sam Gagner is a wonderful hockey player, his passing ability is incredible and 89 has that thing–that special thing–that allows his brain to recognize when the timing is right and the pass should be made. I’ve seen him make passes to wingers too surprised to react, and the puck sails through the infield, out of harm’s way. I’ve seen him make a headman pass to a screaming winger tape to tape, on the fly and that winger never had to break stride. I’ve seen him say to hell with it and start a fight–the act of a crazy man–and I’ve seen him put on a display that will never be forgotten. I’ve also seen him adjust to being a secondary player–a difficult thing to do for such a talent–and I’ve seen him grow into the older brother role on this team.
If anecdotal evidence is to be believed, he lit the match that sparked the flame in the acquisition of Justin Schultz, and he has posted some nice boxcars since he arrived here in the darkest days of the on-ice franchise. If this is a sail on, then it’s a fractured one, way to soon for everyone, and a damn shame.
LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE
We’re back! After one week of completely ignoring the Oilers, I’m back and fresh as a daisy. There’s not much happening–we’re in the dog days of summer–but there might be a story or two we can jump start long enough to fill two hours. Scheduled to appear:
- Tyler Dellow from mc79hockey. He is going to be ‘ranty’ but I promise to say the words ‘Sam Gagner’ before he goes off.
- Lance Achtymichuk from the Humboldt Broncos. Lance is a scout and I’m going to trick him into telling me things. Important things. We’ll talk about the scouting process, advance stats, I’ll get his pin #, should be good.
- Rob Soria from Oil Drop. Rob doesn’t believe Sam Gagner is a good fit long term on a $5M deal, and I’m going to yell at him, play sound effects while he talks and speed up his voice. I wouldn’t do any of that, but I’ll be THINKING it as we talk.
- Cody Nickolet from WHL from Above. Cody does an outstanding job with draft eligibles each year, we’ll talk about the Oilers WHL picks, the surprises overall and get a nice start on the 2014 draft.
- Jill Horbay from FC Edmonton. Eddies are back for the second half, we’ll talk about new recruits, offense and winning the second season.
@Lowetide_ on twitter, 10-1260 via text and the world could crash in so there may be other guests. If Dellow’s on for more than an hour send the cops.