CRICKETS

Craig MacTavish  has a long way to go and a short time to get there, but doesn’t seem to be east bound and down–in fact, the Oilers uttered nary a word all day and nothing leaked out. We know MacT has only a few weeks now to get something done, and be it free agency or trade the club will have to make some moves by this time next week (when the free agent list will have been picked over, the trades will have been mostly completed and teams will be spending a couple of weeks in August watching the hissing of summer lawns).

THE LIST

1. Top 4 defender (Braydon Coburn???)
  2. Sign Sam Gagner to a multi-year deal that has begins with a number in the 4′s
  3. Get Paajarvi signed and then find a role that suits him (suspect it’s 3line).
  4. NHL goalie
  5. Find a 2line L who can complement Gagner-Yakupov with puck retrieval, blocking out the sun, etc
  6. Find a 3line R
  7. Find a 3line C
  8. Find a 4line C
  9. Deal Hemsky for immediate help (even if its a checker).
  10. Deal Horcoff or slot him into the 3line job for which he is actually ideal.
  11. Decide on Lander/Belanger or other for 13F (and 14F if they go with 7D).
  12. Better blue depth (MacT has done this with Belov, plus Klefbom/Fedun/Marincin)
  13. AHL #1/NHL #3 goalie
  14. Sign Paul Ranger

So far this season, MacTavish hasn’t done a lot to address the NHL team’s roster

1. Endorsed Oscar Klefbom as a legit (but not certain) top 6D option in the fall
  2. Signed Anton Belov as an NHL option
  3. Allowed Hartikainen to bolt for Russia
  4. Signed C Mark Arcobello to a 2-way deal
  5. Added a coach (Eakins) and a new assistant (Acton)
  6. Excited the masses

I’m a MacT guy, so he can take all the time in the world as long as the moves make sense. I do think there are some nice options late available for blue on the free agent list (Gilbert and Hunwick joining Ranger) and at least one goalie (Khudobin) who could help, along with some very nice forward options (Filppula we talked about this morning, but there’s Stalberg and MacArthur and Clowe and Gordon and others).

I think the Coburn deal must still be out there, and wonder about Horcoff (St. Louis?) and Hemsky (Ottawa?).

We’re so close now. Can’t wait! And a Sam Gagner signs news release wouldn’t go amiss, either.

106 Responses to "CRICKETS"

1. theres oil in virginia says:

Do you mean “Gilbert and Hunwick joining Ranger”? Or did I miss some news?

2. Smarmy says:

I’m not worked up about it but I kind of want him to do something. Then again, I have this fear that whatever that something is it will be terrible.

theres oil in virginia:
    Do you mean “Gilbert and Hunwick joining Ranger”?Or did I miss some news?

Ranger. Paul Ranger. That would have been a good name for a western hero. Or John Ranger.

4. striatic says:

i never understood the rush to move Hemsky.

don’t get me wrong, i think he should be traded, but his value will be highest after the dust settles on the UFA market, or after proving himself uninjured and then moving at the deadline next season.

5. Rondo says:

Gordon would be a nice pick up.

6. Hammers says:

Same old story . you , me and everyone has a list but the one that matters is McT’s . is he under the gun? you bet . can he handle it .yup. my list see’s one of our signed “D” traded plus a forward not including Horc or Hemmer .Remember patience is a virtue .

Oilers have put some of the offseason pressure on themselves. If they simply bring Horcoff and Hemsky back in, things could look like this:

Nuge-Hall-Eberle
    Gagner-????-Yakupov
    Horcoff-Paajarvi-Hemsky
    Lander-Smyth-Brown

Trades will take a back seat until the FA dust settles now.

FA season opens on the 5th, so trades start happening on the 8th? 9TH?

The next 10 day are critical to the Oilers future in the next 2 years.

Good luck Craig!

You’re gonna need it.

*clap,clap*

Nuge-Hall-Eberle
    Gagner-????-Yakupov
    Horcoff-Paajarvi-Hemsky
    Lander-Smyth-Brown

Loose lips sink ships.

I was slow to agree to everyone who chided MacT for being so open on wanting to move 10 and 83, but the chiders were correct.

Those were conversations to be had AFTER they moved, not before.

Rookies.

Lordy.

10. Traktor says:

striatic:
    i never understood the rush to move Hemsky.

How much is Hemsky value even going to increase? I doubt very much, if at all. For all we know one of the teams that is interested in him right now could luck out in free agency.

I’d rather MacT just make the moves even if he only extracts 90% value and then go into free agency know exactly where they are at.

Lets say Edmonton actually signs players via free agency and now they need to clear cap space.. well Hemsky’s value just went down because they need to move salary and are dealing from a position of weakness.

I can’t image the difference now or later when it comes to Horcoff or Hemsky is much more than an extra insignificant 4th round pick.

Stop messing around and get your bold on.

11. RMGS says:

Oilers have put some of the offseason pressure on themselves.

Can’t help but think that announcing his intentions via captivating pressers to all the GMs and player agents in the league won’t help when looking to win trades and avoid over-paying UFAs. If MacT pulls off all on your list, LT, he’s GM of the year.

12. Lois Lowe says:

I don’t think saying that he was willing to move Hemsky and Horcoff has had any impact on his ability to make deals. Horcoff’s contract is what is making it hard to deal him, plus the lack of depth at C for the Oilers. As far as Hemsky goes, if the Oilers eat any of his salary then they can move him, but I suspect that they want some value back and until that changes we wait.

13. jfry says:

Mact missed the press scrums, that’s for sure. Hopefully he learns to be a litle less “coachy” in front of the mic.

I love watching it, but at this rate …

14. Manitoba Oilers says:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
    Clowe-Gagner-Yakupov
    Stalberg-Fillpula-Paajarvi
    Petrell-Gordon-Brown
    Smyth

Coburn-Shultz
    Smid-Petry
    Belov-Gilbert
    Klefbom

Dubnyk
    Khudobin

15. magisterrex says:

Every time I read a comment about how MacT should not have spoken about his intentions to trade Horcs and Hemmer, I wonder how people think a trade is accomplished. To trade a player you need to inform other teams they are available. It’s not a corporate secret like the KFC spice recipe.

Perhaps both GMs write names on a slip of paper and toss them into a hat. Each GM takes a turn reaching in and pulling out a name.

Lombardi: “I got Dustin Penner! What did you get?”
    Tambo: “I got Teubert. Is he good?”
    Lombardi: “I can honestly say he is as good as I think he is.”
    Tambo: “Yay! I got a Teubert!”

Is that how it went?

16. Gret99zky says:

Nuge-Hall-Eberle
    Gagner-????-Yakupov
    Horcoff-Paajarvi-Hemsky
    Lander-Smyth-Brown

Yup. This looks about right.

I haven’t read anything about a Belanger buy out.

Will RNH be ready for October? I thought maybe November.

17. hags9k says:

Let’s all take a moment to enjoy the excitement leading up to Friday, because we all know the let down and disappointment of Friday evening is now only hours away.

I’ll admit there’s a chance that MacT is about to *in the voice of Matt Foley* shake up the club and fill holes and provide the roster balance, and grab the world by the tail and pull it down and put it in his pocket.

But let’s not pretend there isn’t a much greater chance that we instead watch the players sign in the big markets, the Oil make a couple soft moves and move out better hockey players than we bring in. More of the “because Oilers” if you will.

Sorry guys, my MacConfidence is already fading. Why do I feel like his office has a one way mirror behind which stands Lowe ever watching, and the secret entrance to the batcave.

Please let this summer be different.

18. RMGS says:

magisterrex:

Talking through the media can be strategically useful; the devil himself, Lamoriello, is a master at this. Was MacT being strategic with his liberal public assessments? I don’t see it. He said too much, and I think he’ll be the first to admit it: “my deal rate per spoken word is extremely low right now.”

19. "Steve Smith" says:

hags9k: But let’s not pretend there isn’t a much greater chance that we instead watch the players sign in the big markets, the Oil make a couple soft moves and move out better hockey players than we bring in.

20. Captain Happy says:

Woodguy:
    Trades will take a back seat until the FA dust settles now.

FA season opens on the 5th, so trades start happening on the 8th? 9TH?

The next 10 day are critical to the Oilers future in the next 2 years.

Good luck Craig!

You’re gonna need it.

*clap,clap*

What folks tend to forget is that this offseason is compressed because of the lockout and extending free agency to July 5th.

I would imagine that many teams have already acquired the pieces they will need next season by Friday morning and will go dark very soon afterward.

Need to keep an eye on teams that haven’t done much yet and have a ton of cap space.

I would think Toronto, Calgary and the Oilers will all be pitching at the same free agents since they pretty much have identical needs.

Cap space:

Toronto – $19M

Calgary – $17.5M

Edmonton – $14.9M

I find it very odd that the Oilers haven’t bought out Belanger…perhaps MacT is clinging to the belief that he can trade him for something?

21. theres oil in virginia says:

magisterrex:
    Lombardi: “I got Dustin Penner!What did you get?”
    Tambo: “I got Teubert. Is he good?”
    Lombardi: “I can honestly say he is as good as I think he is.”
    Tambo: “Yay! I got a Teubert!”

Is that how it went?

Yeah, that sounds about right.

“Steve Smith”: I strongly disagree: let’s pretend there isn’t a much greater chance that we instead watch the players sign in the big markets, the Oil make a couple soft moves and move out better hockey players than we bring in.

I’ve read this 5 times and the double negative was there all 5 times but I didn’t see it for the first four times. Age sucks.

23. cc says:

I think the Oilers should try and trade for Kyle Clifford or the very least consider an offer sheet. Does giving Kyle Clifford an offer sheet make sense? The Kings have 65 million with only 17 players signed and need to get Alec Martinez under contract.

Kyle Clifford
    Age: 22
    G/60: .897
    PTS/60: 1.665

I would much rather spend 3 million on a 22 year old Clifford than spending 5+ on Clowe or Clarkson.

24. jake70 says:

Haha nice LT, gotta love the Bandit and the Snowman. I swore when I was a kid I was gonna buy that black TransAm when I grew up. Well one of those happened..(actually neither happened…lol). For those who didn’t pick up on the lyric. Great tune and movie. And Sally Field …well…

25. DBO says:

I don’t expect any of the top free agents unless we really overpay. and looking at how manyof our kids will get huge 2nd contracts, I hope Mact stays far away. Target mid level free agents who are real players, maybe coming off subpar years so we get them on the cheap, and improve the club in all areas, not just with one Whale.

they’ve been mentioned so many times i pray the org is sorta listening.
    - MacArthur – two way playerwho plays in all areas
    - Stalberg – ditto
    - Gordon – true defensive centreman, who had offense in junior.
    - Clowe/Morrow – i would still look at a 2 or 3 year deal They bring so much of what we lack. And both are under the radar in terms of big dollars. (like $3-4 mill, not $6)
    - Khudobin – overpay him a bit and sell him on competing for starters job (no one can argue we aren’t looking to upgrade)
    - Hunwiock – an upgrade at LD. Why we didn’t pick him off waivers astounds me.

26. Magnus says:

Id

27. PunjabiOil says:

A little off-topic, and months overdue – but check out Schutlz’s reaction on the goal that triggered a 1.17M bonus

magisterrex,

You don’t see every GM talk about their trade-ables in the paper every day.

The GM’s talk to each other a lot, that’s how they know what’s going on.

PunjabiOil:

If you check the game thread, I noticed that.

I asked Van DIest to ask about it after the game and he got Shultz to confirm that goal got him a pile of bonus money.

30. Magnus says:

Let’ try this again. The perils of posting on your phone…

I’d be happy if we just managed to sign MacArthur. I’d think we’d be hard pressed to sign most of the players on our wish list. Thus I’m trying to keep my expectations for Friday low. Still, i fear I’ll be underwhelmed.

And I agree, there were a couple of defenceman on waivers that could have helped the team. I’m not sure why no claims were placed. Hunwick would be a more than can able bottom pair player and Blum was a guy many were looking to trade Hemsky for a couple of years ago.

Captain Happy,

Cap space:
    Toronto – $19M
    Calgary – $17.5M
    Edmonton – $14.9M

You need to express the cap space in terms of $ available per roster spot.

As per cap geek:

CAL $4.33MM/opening 19 players signed
    EDM $2.4MM/opening 17 players signed
    TOR $1.9MM/opening 13 players signed

Out of that TOR needs to sign the following RFA’s:

Kadri (big raise)
    Komarov (is he in the NHL next year?)
    Colburne
    McLaren
    Gunarsson (big raise)
    Franson
    Fraser (probably a Marlie)

I agree that I expected Belanger to be bought out.

Maybe MacT is trying to trade him up until the deadline to waive in order to buyout.

Might be the same with Horcoff.

32. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Magnus:
    Id

I raise you a super-ego.

33. Rebilled says:

Gretzky, Coffey, and Hall better roll up their sleeves and get in the recruitment van.

Don’t forget to bring the incentives.

34. Captain Happy says:

Woodguy:
    Captain Happy,

Cap space:
    Toronto – $19M
    Calgary – $17.5M
    Edmonton – $14.9M

You need to express the cap space in terms of $ available per roster spot.

As per cap geek:

CAL $4.33MM/opening 19 players signed
    EDM $2.4MM/opening 17 players signed
    TOR $1.9MM/opening 13 players signed

Out of that TOR needs to sign the following RFA’s:

Kadri (big raise)
    Komarov (is he in the NHL next year?)
    Colburne
    McLaren
    Gunarsson (big raise)
    Franson
    Fraser (probably a Marlie)

I agree that I expected Belanger to be bought out.

Might be the same with Horcoff.

I’d guess Kadri gets around $4M

Komarov has returned to the KHL.

Colbourne has zero leverage.

Gunnarson and Franson should get decent raises but with Rielly, Finn and Granberg nipping at their heels, their next contracts should be constrained.

The Leafs will have to make decisions on Bozak and McArthur but I expect Nonis will see if he can get upgrades for the same money.

After having a long hard look at Clarkson I’ve come to the conclusion that he is a better version of Ryan Jones.

Had a hot start last year, then went to shit.

Had a pretty good 11/12, but that’s his only good seaon

Never played more than 3rd line comp.

Check out Clarkson’s splits from last year:

First 12 games: 9g 6a 15pts 1.25pts/gm

Second 12 games: 1g 2a 3pts 0.25pts/gm

Third 12 games: 2g 0a 2pts 0.166pts/gm

Fourth 12 games: 3g 1a 4pts 0.333pts/gm

So for 75% of last season he was 0.25pts/gm

For a guy who is going to get $6MM+ over some term that’s fucking terrible.

He’s 0.399pts/gm in his career.

This guy is better, more physical version of Ryan Jones in an Eastern market.

Pts per game

07/08 10/13
    08/09 12/13
    09/10 6/13
    10/11 9/11
    11/12 9/13
    12/13 10/15

The man hasn’t face tough comp in his career.

Here’s his SH% over his career. Guess which year was his 30 goal year:

2007-2008 6
    2008-2009 10.8
    2009-2010 10.4
    2010-2011 6.3
    2011-2012 13.2
    2012-2013 8.3
    Career 9.4

Decent 3rd liner.

Paying more than $3.5MM/yr is probably a bad bet.

I bet he gets more than $6MM/yr

Whoever signs him signed a boat anchor of a contract.

Captain Happy: I’d guess Kadri gets around $4M

Komarov has returned to the KHL.

Colbourne has zero leverage.

I hope that means MaCarthur shakes loose.

I don’t think they sign Bozak unless he’s the last girl at the snowball dance.

Josh Rimer ‏@JoshRimerHockey 2m

Doug MacLean on NiteCap, “The two teams pushing hard for David Clarkson are Toronto & Edmonton.” #oilers #mapleleafs #tmltalk

To be fair to Clarkson, here’s his shot attempt differential.

In terms of Relative Corsi among forwards:

2007-2008 9/13
    2008-2009 8/13
    2009-2010 11/13
    2010-2011 7/11
    2011-2012 8/13
    2012-2013 1/15

Great last year, but very meh for the rest of his career, especially given his quality of compeition.

Zone Starts:

2007-2008 12/13 (2nd toughest)
    2008-2009 9/13
    2009-2010 9/13
    2010-2011 10/11
    2011-2012 9/13
    2012-2013 6/9

Had to push the rock up the hill a bit in most years, so re-enforces his ability to be 3RW.

Doesn’t make him 1/2 RW.

Not even close.

39. PunjabiOil says:

If you check the game thread, I noticed that.

I was at the game, but was unaware that Schultz could have clinched the bonus. My eyes were focused on Hall – at that time, I believe he needed only 1 assist to clinch the bonus. Turns out it was 2?

Hall played alot in that game. He was given 90 second powerplay shifts. He also seemed a bit “disappointed” in one of the goals Yakupov scored, because while he was on the ice, he didn’t get the 2nd assist . He did however, show excitement on the Schultz goal (he got an assist on that goal that may have triggered the bonus).

Human nature I suppose. Hopefully it earned the organization some goodwill for giving them extra TOI so that they could achieve those bonuses.

Josh Rimer ‏@JoshRimerHockey 2m

Go Nonis!!

Hope MacT gets the consolation prize of MaCarthur.

If MacT is pushing hard to sign a RW is Yak or Eberle going somewhere?

Big trade for Big Dman?

PunjabiOil:
    If you check the game thread, I noticed that.

I was at the game, but was unaware that Schultz could have clinched the bonus.My eyes were focused on Hall – at that time, I believe he needed only 1 assist to clinch the bonus.Turns out it was 2?

Hall played alot in that game.He was given 90 second powerplay shifts.He also seemed a bit “disappointed” in one of the goals Yakupov scored, because while he was on the ice, he didn’t get the 2nd assist .He did however, show excitement on the Schultz goal (he got an assist on that goal that may have triggered the bonus).

Human nature I suppose.Hopefully it earned the organization some goodwill for giving them extra TOI so that they could achieve those bonuses.

Yeah, it was good on RK to keep putting them out there.

When they started shelling VAN he kept sending them over the boards.

Maybe they should give out $2MM bonuses every game and the Oilers could go .800

42. PunjabiOil says:

Jagr always chases the money, and he has gambling debts to pay down. $5M/1 year. Trade him at the deadline if you’re out of it.

A smart acquisition by Dallas last year.

43. wheatnoil says:

Josh Rimer ‏@JoshRimerHockey 2m

Based on Woodguy’s analysis, I’m hoping Toronto outbids Edmonton.

Then again, basically any rumour about any player has had “Edmonton interested” tagged on and it hasn’t led to much yet. So I’m not sure how much to read into this. If he’s asking for over 6 Million, MacT would be hard-pressed to sign him given RNH and Yakupov coming up and Gagner right now.

44. Nostradumbass says:

Prediction for hard targets

Tyler Bozak
    Bobby Sanguinetti
    Brad Boyes
    Vinny Prospal

RFA
    Damian Brunnstrom

45. murphy says:

I am frightened we will win the clarkson. Hopefully macarthur, gilbert and gordon are the real targets. If Mact doesn’t come out of friday night with a few new faces that will help we could be in for a very long year.

46. wheatnoil says:

Woodguy: If MacT signs Clarkson to a big long contract its Kevin Lowe in the summer of 2006 and we start all over again with learning curves.

I suppose they could compliance buy-out him next summer when he crashes and burns after one season and the Oilers are up against the cap again. They still have two after all.

47. PunjabiOil says:

Honestly – give a final offer to Philly for Coburn. If they don’t accept, claim Gilbert on waivers.

Gilbert Smid
    Schultz Petry
    Belov J. Schultz

Ranger, Potter

- Much better than last year, with several guys who have the ability to potentially move up into a top 4 spot (Belov, J. Schultz, Ranger)
    - Consider burying Potter to the minors and acquiring a guy like Hunwick.

48. Gerta Rauss says:

PunjabiOil:
    Jagr always chases the money, and he has gambling debts to pay down.$5M/1 year.Trade him at the deadline if you’re out of it.

A smart acquisition by Dallas last year.

49. PunjabiOil says:

murphy:

You can’t use a compliance buy-outs for contracts subsequent to the new CBA.

You just can’t.

50. RMGS says:

Woodguy:
    Hope MacT gets the consolation prize of MaCarthur.

Why am I increasingly hoping MacT whiffs on all his “plan A” homerun swings?

51. fifthcartel says:

MacArthur seems like a much more reasonable option.

52. wheatnoil says:

PunjabiOil: You can’t use a compliance buy-outs for contracts subsequent to the new CBA.

You just can’t.

I think you meant to quote me on that. Thanks, I wasn’t aware of that.

53. Captain Happy says:

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 8m

When it is all said and done IMO the #Oilers will have minimum 7 new players on roster for start of regular season (4 FWD-2D-1G)…

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 2m

…The “New” players will consist of: a top 6 LW, 3rd lne C, 3 line RW, 4th line W, Top 4 left shot D, Belov…and a goaltender

54. Gerta Rauss says:

PunjabiOil,

I’d like for the OIlers to claim Gilbert AND trade for Coburn. It’s a lot of money to bring in on the back end but we could move Schultz Sr if it becomes an issue. Gilbert and Schultz Sr are on expiring contracts so I don’t see it as a big issue.

Smid-Petry
    Coburn-Gilbert
    Schultz-Schultz
    Belov

Potter can move between OKC and if he gets claimed it’s not the end of the world.

55. PunjabiOil says:

Not discussed much – why is Eric Belanger still an Oiler?

Do the Oilers have some sort of trade deal? Confidence of a trade?

Doesn’t make sense.

Just doesn’t.

56. bookje says:

Josh Rimer ‏@JoshRimerHockey 2m

Woodguy just called him Ryan Jones at three times the price.

I worry!

Captain Happy:
    Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 8m

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 2m

No 1 or 2 RW there, so maybe Clarkson isn’t a target?

58. Gerta Rauss says:

There is another buyout period yes…? I know there is for regular buyouts but I’m assuming you can use a compliance buyout during the arbitration window..?…yes..?

bookje: Woodguy just called him Ryan Jones at three times the price.

I worry!

Twice the player at 3 times the price!

Call 1-800-DOCTORB

THE B IS FOR BARGIN!

60. magisterrex says:

Woodguy,

The question remains: so what? The information is there regardless. Perhaps the Open For Business sign had to be put out to improve the quantity of communication from other teams. Every offer starts somewhere, but to get that start you need to convince the other side to open up a dialog. Trying to remain inscrutable only leads to silence.

I’m fine with MacT verbalizing his thoughts.

61. wheatnoil says:

Woodguy: No 1 or 2 RW there, so maybe Clarkson isn’t a target?

Maybe Clarkson is the new Ovechkin?

Gerta Rauss:
    PunjabiOil,

Smid-Petry
    Coburn-Gilbert
    Schultz-Schultz
    Belov

I like:

Coburn-Petry
    Smid-Shultz
    Belov-Gilbert
    Klef

Shultz the Elder shipped out in a deal for something else.

I’d prefer a better 1LD than Coburn for the record.

63. wheatnoil says:

PunjabiOil:
    Not discussed much – why is Eric Belanger still an Oiler?

Do the Oilers have some sort of trade deal?Confidence of a trade?

Doesn’t make sense.

Just doesn’t.

I agree it doesn’t make sense. Maybe MacT got cold feet when he realized he might not get as many centres as he was hoping for and thought it better than to deplete the stores? Or maybe he’s trying to include him in a trade… I don’t know to where or for whom. Philly has far too many centres as it is, so he’s not involved in the Coburn deal.

64. Gerta Rauss says:

Woodguy,

Yeah, we’ve talked about a better 1LD(Coburn is far from perfect) but it’s July 3 now, it’s getting late early.

And I would like to start Schultz Jr on the 3rd pair until he (inevitably) pushes his way up the pairings.

*edit-looking at your pairings again, you’ve got Gibby playing the mentor role with our (many) LH D rookies…I don’t mind that.

magisterrex:
    Woodguy,

The question remains: so what? The information is there regardless. Perhaps the Open For Business sign had to be put out to improve the quantity of communication from other teams. Every offer starts somewhere, but to get that start you need to convince the other side to open up a dialog.Trying to remain inscrutable only leads to silence.

I’m fine with MacT verbalizing his thoughts.

I loved MacT talking about it. Ate it up!

It just puts too many expectations on uncertain results.

He can spam email every GM every 20 minutes with who’s available, saying to the media is something else.

I see it in my own business.

Part of what I do is develop products with current and new vendors and I am loathe to discuss it with the sales force.

Inevitably a deal falls apart or something changes to make the product not quite fit where we need it too and it doesn’t happen.

If I let sales people in on what I’m doing and I have my customers asking me about when “product X is coming” when its either 1) months away, or 2) dead on the vine

Pisses me off because it gives the perception of failure when its just the normal course of business.

MacT may fail to move 10 or 83 (more likely 10) and its just the normal course of business.

You don’t always get what you want, and when you have outside expectations putting pressure on you to produce based on your own musings, which now are not easy to acheive, you can make bad decisions.

Or at the very least it makes you look like an asshole or incompetent.

66. murphy says:

Woodguy,

Unfortunatly clarkson can play either side…

Gerta Rauss:
    Woodguy,

I think Belov is going to surprise some people with his skating and passing ability.

Just killed it this year in the KHL and repping RUS at the WHC is a big deal.

Gibby hanging there as a safety net for him and/or Klef works well imo.

68. wheatnoil says:

Captain Happy:
    Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 8m

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 2m

Top 6 LW – MacArthur?
    3rd Line C – Gordon?
    3 line RW – Stalberg?
    4 line W – ?
    Top 4 Left shot D – Coburn?
    Goaltender – Khudobin?

Wow… that would be quite the feat if MacT could pull that off in the UFA market. There’s going to competition for each of those guys. I suppose there’s still trades but I’d say filling all those spots are a bit optimistic.

PunjabiOil:
    Not discussed much – why is Eric Belanger still an Oiler?

Belanger can/will be a pressbox player. One can also shuttle him back and forth to OKC, and if somebody claims him off waivers, you don’t care.

Belanger and Eager are cheap depth.

Sorry, it was 1-600-DOCTORB

71. Captain Happy says:

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 20m

I have Lander pencilled in as 4th line C with the potential of an AHL vet familiar to Eakins being added

72. Fatboy80 says:

What are the chances we could pluck Tom Wilson out of the Capitals orginization? He seems like he is exactly what the Oilers have always been searching for.

73. PunjabiOil says:

Belanger and Eager are cheap depth.

Right now the Oilers are sitting with 53M, with a UFA goalie, 2 defencemen, and 4 forwards to sign. Of course this is with Hemsky and Horcoff on the books – but there’s always the possibility you end up having to keep them.

No sense carrying around too many one-way contracts, especially for a guy who has mentally checked out.

74. hags9k says:

“Steve Smith”,

Good grief.

75. hags9k says:

Woodguy,

Good work. Nice player, but will get twice what he should.

76. Ducey says:

Captain Happy:
    Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 20m

That should be very light pencil. Lander needs another year in the AHL.

Lander being included in the lineup might be a reason Belanger was retained. A pretty good safety net, maybe Lander-Belanger-Smyth can rotate the 4line L-C

78. PunjabiOil says:

Toni Lydman another option the Oilers should consider.

79. Maverick says:

Just got home from a very long day and getting caught up on all the posts from both of today’s topics.

Filppula would be a great addition but I think he signs in a bigger market, he would be a great fit, the second line as a winger or a centre based upon the usage of Gagner against certain teams.

As many of stated, my choices are;
    2LW – MacArthur – I think at his price point he might be a bargain. Clarkson will be over priced.
    3C – Gordon
    4C Lapierre from Vancouver
    4W – Nystrom
    That’s 4 forwards with more compete and more grit that last years addition with not a grossly overpayment in contract.

D – Ranger or Gilbert but I think its a trade that will get the defenseman.

G – That’s a toss up, they haven’t been overly successful recruiting Euro goalies, if I ventured a guess my money is Halak shaking loose from St.Louis.

80. fifthcartel says:

Top 6 LW – MacArthur/Penner
    3rd Line C – Cullen/Antropov
    3 line RW – Cleary
    4 line W – Kyle Chipchura
    Top 4 Left shot D – Coburn/Ranger (kinda)
    Goaltender – Khudobin/Johnson

81. Clay says:

David Clarkson is the new Chris Simon.

Simon Career numbers – .390 PPG, 2.33PIMS/game
    Clarkson Career numbers – .399 PPG, 1.81PIMS/game
    Simon at Clarkson’s age – .465 PPG, 2.84PIMS/game

Simon had his “breakout” year in his 28 year old season, going 29-20-49.

Clarkson had his “breakout” year in his 28 year old season, going 30-16-46.

After Simon’s breakout season, he never had more than 14 goals or 31 points in a season.

Is there any reason to believe Clarkson will ever duplicate his “big” year?

Show of hands, who here would like to see a 29 year old Chris Simon, making $6M a year for the next 6 years, playing top six minutes for the Oilers?

Please MacT, be smarter than this!!!!!

82. Professor Q says:

Seems like Zharkov isn’t too cold about Edmonton, eh LT?

83. Gret99zky says:

Friday July 5th, 2012

Free Agent Frenzy

MacT: Give me a diablo sandwich, a Dr. Pepper, and make it quick, I’m in a god-damn hurry.

84. BONVIE says:

Woodguy,

I believe he would be considered the 2nd line left wing option.

85. Ribs says:

Gerta Rauss: I’d like Jagr on a 1 year deal but I think the biggest factor in him signing with Edm would be to play with Hemsky, and he’s got his bags packed waiting for us to trade him.

I’ve been wishing for Jagr to come to Edmonton for a long time and it just isn’t going to happen. He is indeed always chasing the money and that alone is a large problem. The Hemsky/Jagr idea sounds nice but in reality they both play the same position and neither do as well when moved. The biggest thing with him, though, is his need for favourable ice time. He wouldn’t re-sign with Philly because he felt he wasn’t getting enough prime minutes. He isn’t going to get it here either.

Nice Bandit video, LT. I hope my mechanic is free soon so I can get the T-tops out on the road!

hags9k:
    Woodguy,

Good work.Nice player, but will get twice what he should.

Agreed.

It looks like I shit on Clarkson a bit, but he’s a player.

He’s a 3.5MM player, not a $6MM player and that’s the problem.

He had an unreal shot differential year with Elias, Zajac, Henrique and Poni as his 4 most common F mates (70% with Poni!!)

He might play really well with 89 and 64.

He might not though, and a 29 year old is not going to keep getting better and if he’s smart he’ll want a 5 year term.

His one year of very good shot differential (11/12) and one year of goal results (10/11 with career SH%) make me very leery of giving a deal with term.

Might be ok for the first year or two, maybe (still not value at $6MM), but might fall off the map as he ages.

Very risky bet.

87. BONVIE says:

Clay,

Your probably close to the mark here on this one. There are usually very few winners at the Free Agent Frenzy, with the exception of the agents.

88. Ducey says:

Woodguy:
    To be fair to Clarkson, here’s his shot attempt differential.

In terms of Relative Corsi among forwards:

2010-201110/11
    2011-20129/13
    2012-2013 6/9

Doesn’t make him 1/2 RW.

Not even close.

Woodguy,

I think most would tell you that Clarkson is a late bloomer offensively so we might be able to throw out the early years.

Looking at some of the boxcars he looks pretty decent. He was third in scoring on a low scoring team. He had basically twice the PIM’s of anyone else on the team with 78. He averaged 2 hits a game. But the thing that stands out to me is his shot totals. He led NJ with 180. That was 60 more than his nearest team mate, Kovalchuk. Over the last three years he has had 192, 228, and 180 shots. The best Oiler last year was Hall at 154.

Toughness, decent point totals, and a hell of a lot of shots might work good on the Oilers.

Of course it all depends upon the cost.

89. DBO says:

Clarkson at $6 mill. Clowe or Malone at $4.25. I would rather go with one of the latter for the price. Malone only has 2 years left and Tampa still has some cap issues. Clowe is essentially the same age as Clarkson with a better track record coming off a down year so his price will be less.

- Please have Lander in the minors to start. First call up when needed.
    - Trade Hemsky for Smith from Ottawa. No idea if it still has legs, but if the Oil eat some cap I bet it happens, especially if Alfredsson leaves.
    - Offer Clowe 3 or 4 years @$4.75 per. May be less then he can get, but he’ll have a chance to play with top end talent.Offer more term if needed.
    - Sign Gordon to a 3 or 4 year deal for $2 mill per.
    - Sign Ranger to a modest cap friendly deal.
    - Sign Gilbert to a 2 year deal at $2.5 mill
    - Trade Shultz Sr. to Carolina for Ruutu (Carolina is real top heavy up front cap wise, and they could free up money and they do need a vet on the backend to help). Good hockey trade for both.
    - Re-sign Jones to $1 mill. he’ll just be happy to be back
    - offer Khudobin a multi year deal around $2 mill. Overpay – yes. But big potential to really pay off and we have no one else anywhere near being ready. Also, if he outperforms and beats out Dubnyk you have him on the cheap for at least an extra year.
    - Sign Fistric. Yes he has warts, but he is mean, he hits to hurt and we have no one like him left around after the failed 1st rounder purge.

Hall-Nuge-Eberle

90. "Steve Smith" says:

Manitoba Oilers,

DBO,

Schultz, dag-nabbit.

Especially you, Woodguy.

91. Dead Oiler walking says:

The Blues look like they have a lot of cap space but with Petrangelo & Stewart unsigned they’re getting up there with their budget. Lot of money tied up with their D. They are scoring challenged and defense strong.

Hemsky for Bouwmeister

Fills need for both teams
    $M saving for Blues
    Both free agents next year
    Might have to add but the basic deal makes sense for both sides.

92. russ99 says:

So what’s the deal, are we not buying anyone out?

And yes I know we can still buy out Horcoff because he can’t go on waivers due to his NMC.

93. BONVIE says:

Dead Oiler walking,

I like your deal. Don’t know if its plausible but I was noticing that St Louis was heavy at the D position as well.

94. BONVIE says:

BONVIE,

Also if we were looking at paying a Dman more than Hall Pietrangelo is the guy.

95. Jesse says:

Lowetide, I’m sure you might not even see this before your new post tomorrow morning, but there is no “Download” button on your July 2nd Hour 1 podcast on the team 1260 website. It looks like a fantastic lineup. Do you know if this has been mentioned yet?

Also, will your podcast ever be available on iTunes? It’s so much more convenient to download off of there.

Thanks, as always, for putting on a great show!

96. PerryK says:

Captain Happy:
    Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 8m

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 2m

I would be very happy with that if he could accomplish it without touching our core or mortgaging our future.

97. stevezie says:

Is Clarkson’s named being linked to a 6 million dollar salary somewhere I haven’t seen? If not this reminds me of the worry over the Smid contrat all over again. GMs are crazy, but they’re not that crazy.

The poor UFA will obviously inflate his salary, but no one is going to give Clarkson 6. I say 5 tops, and if he wants term (which he should) I’d cap it at 4.5. This is a prediction, not a recommendation. I’ll stake my reputation on it.

98. hags9k says:

Woodguy,

Crusher, rusher, 6M usher. Agree with Steve Zissou if he gets 6 mil I’ll be amazed. That’s Bobby Holik or Martin Lapointe territory.

“Steve Smith”:
    Manitoba Oilers,

DBO,

Schultz, dag-nabbit.

Especially you, Woodguy.

I was saving my c’s for a post about Carlo Colaiacovo

stevezie:

Its what most MSM are throwing around.

We’ll see if its true.

Ducey,

Of course it all depends upon the cost.

I agree with that.

I’m just not sure its worth what they’ll have to pay.

As for being a late bloomer, you can’t bank on his career arc continuing at this pace.

Rarely happens for players in their late 20′s/early 30′s.

His shot/possession number were unreal last year.

I actually thought NJD were good, and just very unlucky last year and some refereed to them as “the best team not to make the playoffs since the lockout”

Still, 0.25pts/gm in his last 36 games is unsettling when he will command a big ticket.

102. Maverick says:

Woodguy:
    Ducey,

Of course it all depends upon the cost.

I agree with that.

I’m just not sure its worth what they’ll have to pay.

Rarely happens for players in their late 20′s/early 30′s.

His shot/possession number were unreal last year.

I’m on the same wave length in regards to Clarkson. Good player would fit in really well here but the price point versus production on the length of any contract may not be good. Clarkson will receive a big contract but I hope its not from the Oilers.

My fear is that the Oilers will be going on a (B.W.H.E) Big Whale Hunting Expedition and miss out on lower lights that could really help this team. The Glencross scenario all over again. I’m hoping I’m wrong. I think Gordon, MacArthur, Lapierre, Nystrom and if they get Smith (in the old rumored Hemsky deal) would be a good supporting cast. Definitely more compete in these players.

103. Ryan says:

Woodguy,

Boat anchor contract? We’re a perfect fit, we’ll need one with Horcov heading out.

What’s the deal with Jeff Schultz? 6’6 230 lbs and 27 year old LH d (those numbers look nice :p). Recently bought out by the Caps. Can’t remember much from watching him and stats never do defensive dmen justice other than maybe toi and qoc.

104. Beaker says:

paying even 5 mil for clarkson makes no sense. why the hell would we be paying that much for a 3rd line winger? Man when Yak gets paid we’d have the most expensive right side ever. l Like 17 mil for those three. If we’re doing something like that I’d rather it be at C.