Craig MacTavish has a long way to go and a short time to get there, but doesn’t seem to be east bound and down–in fact, the Oilers uttered nary a word all day and nothing leaked out. We know MacT has only a few weeks now to get something done, and be it free agency or trade the club will have to make some moves by this time next week (when the free agent list will have been picked over, the trades will have been mostly completed and teams will be spending a couple of weeks in August watching the hissing of summer lawns).
- Top 4 defender (Braydon Coburn???)
- Sign Sam Gagner to a multi-year deal that has begins with a number in the 4′s
- Get Paajarvi signed and then find a role that suits him (suspect it’s 3line).
- NHL goalie
- Find a 2line L who can complement Gagner-Yakupov with puck retrieval, blocking out the sun, etc
- Find a 3line R
- Find a 3line C
- Find a 4line C
- Deal Hemsky for immediate help (even if its a checker).
- Deal Horcoff or slot him into the 3line job for which he is actually ideal.
- Decide on Lander/Belanger or other for 13F (and 14F if they go with 7D).
- Better blue depth (MacT has done this with Belov, plus Klefbom/Fedun/Marincin)
- AHL #1/NHL #3 goalie
- Sign Paul Ranger
So far this season, MacTavish hasn’t done a lot to address the NHL team’s roster
- Endorsed Oscar Klefbom as a legit (but not certain) top 6D option in the fall
- Signed Anton Belov as an NHL option
- Allowed Hartikainen to bolt for Russia
- Signed C Mark Arcobello to a 2-way deal
- Added a coach (Eakins) and a new assistant (Acton)
- Excited the masses
I’m a MacT guy, so he can take all the time in the world as long as the moves make sense. I do think there are some nice options late available for blue on the free agent list (Gilbert and Hunwick joining Ranger) and at least one goalie (Khudobin) who could help, along with some very nice forward options (Filppula we talked about this morning, but there’s Stalberg and MacArthur and Clowe and Gordon and others).
I think the Coburn deal must still be out there, and wonder about Horcoff (St. Louis?) and Hemsky (Ottawa?).
We’re so close now. Can’t wait! And a Sam Gagner signs news release wouldn’t go amiss, either.