GET HAPPY!

Craig MacTavish spent some time in front of the microphones again today, and as always there were some very interesting things.

• “It doesn’t look like I’ll be able to accomplish all the things I wanted to do.”

No real surprise, that was a very long list of changes he had in mind. Here’s my original list with problems solved crossed out.

MACT’S LIST

1. Top 4 defender (signed Ference, that’s the big move this summer)
  2. Sign Sam Gagner to a multi-year deal that has begins with a number in the 4′s
  3. Get Paajarvi signed and then find a role that suits him (suspect it’s 3line).
  4. NHL goalie (LaBarbera was a nice option)
  5. Find a 2line L who can complement Gagner-Yakupov with puck retrieval, blocking out the sun, etc
  6. Find a 3line R Joensu is the option I’ll pick, but it would be foolish to exclude Ryan Jones based on salary
  7. Find a 3line C (Gordon an ideal fit)
  8. Find a 4line C
  9. Deal Hemsky for immediate help (even if its a checker).
  10. Deal Horcoff or slot him into the 3line job for which he is actually ideal. Continued to improve D depth.
  11. Decide on Lander/Belanger or other for 13F. Lander it is!
  12. Better blue depth MacT has done this with Belov and Larsen, plus Klefbom/Fedun/Marincin
  13. AHL #1/NHL #3 goalie Bachman is an outstanding solution
  14. Sign Paul Ranger should have said ‘sign Marlies–Hamilton, Acton, coach

hall eberle gif

MORE QUOTES

• “He’s at a different level here, as we saw in the last three quarters of the game, he was able to raise his game to a different level.” MacT on Klefbom.

I think we should be prepared to see Klefbom win the 6D job outright. I think they like him that much, even if it means Belov returns home and they have to deal Nick Schultz at the end of training camp. I know these are kids Klefbom was playing against but he’s mobile and has played against men. A solid training camp has him here in my opinion.

• “I still want to help the depth on the back end. I want a lot of competition for those 5-6-7 spots.”

Heh. Tambellini would be into day four of vacation now, satisfied with the depth on the blue miles ago. Then again, Tambellini didn’t have Smid, Bergeron and Greene on the ice for the opener 2006 fall either. The Oilers have been lacking in quality and depth at this position forever, and the fact that MacT has recognized it (and appears to be overkilling it) is music!

•  ”I would think that Sam would (go to arbitration). We’re still hopeful that we can get a deal done soon.”

In the previous eras I would have been concerned about this, but MacTavish does appear to be very straightforward in his dealings, very transparent. I don’t think there’s any animosity between the two sides and do believe the Oilers realize Gagner’s importance to the team.

• “We’re getting a very motivated guy. We need to get some scoring out of those third and fourth lines.”

I think the Jones signing could be a good one in that it’s low risk and he does appear to be motivated. This past season was a tough one for him and he was no doubt looking at some form of professional extinction before the contract was offered to him by the Oilers. Sports history is full of stories where veterans rebound from just this spot–here’s hoping he can perform well. I don’t believe he’s a fit for a checking line, so his presence on the third line (should it come to pass) won’t be a ‘tough minutes matchup’ unit. A 4line role is best case scenario.

• “I’m still hopeful we can get one other thing done in the next short little while. It’s just trying to continue to have those discussions and try to get the right piece to start to excite me about how the team is shaping together. We’d like to do one or two things before we’re happy.”

This must be the Vanek-Penner move, although it sounds like a trade is more likely than a free agent signing. I think MacT is probably waiting on a cap team as they attempt to wiggle out of trouble without dealing off a valuable piece. A guess might be:

• Trading Hemsky
  • Acquiring that big complementary winger

They might be two different deals, but in his own mind MacT likely sees them as a pair.

POSSIBLE ACQUISITIONS

• L Tomas Vanek. I understand, he’s expensive and they’re not going to give him away and then you have to sign him and and and. If you’re looking for a solution to the top 6F problem, Vanek is a great one. No worries about fighting through traffic and he has a scorer’s touch.
  • R Blake Wheeler. Big guy and skilled, the Jets must love him but they’re also interested in getting better and dealt for Setoguchi so maybe they’re done (Jets don’t do much). He’s a nice fit though.
  • L David Perron. Like him, think he’s available and wrote about it here.
  • W Nikolai Kulemin. Love this player. I think he’d be able to play anywhere on either wing and be the Pisani until Paajarvi takes over. Wonderful talent.
  • L Curtis Glencross. Overpay will be required, but if the Oilers are serious about improving the team Glencross would be an outstanding addition.
  • L Vinny Prospal. Old as the hills and twice as dusty, but he qualifies under several of the stated requirements. A fine player forever.
  • L Dustin Penner. I know, and I know. However, if you’ve missed out on Clarkson and need someone to play with Gagner and be big and skilled, why not go with someone who has been successful with Gagner and can be big and skilled? I know.
  • R Joel Ward. Big contract and the offense can sputter, but this guy can also win battles along the wall.
  • L Brendan Morrow. I know he’s close to done and he wasn’t much in Dallas, but he’d be playing on a skill line in Edmonton and should cash at .5 per game or thereabouts. The big thing is he has no speed at all. I wonder how much faster he is (if any) than Smyth?
  • R Adam Cracknell. Big guy, decent hands and would certainly bring some attitude to the bottom 6.
  • C Peter Mueller: He’s no tough guy, but does have size and skill. Concussions a concern, but he was fairly healthy this past season.
  • R Colby Armstrong. Always liked this player, he’s battled injuries and bad timing. Worth taking a chance?

146 Responses to "GET HAPPY!"

1. RexLibris says:

Vanek would be interesting. Funny how both the names that popped up back in 2007 are back in Oilers’ news: Penner and Vanek.

That would make for one very potent top six group, with the weakest link at 2C, as I see it.

Not sure what that trades costs the Oilers, but I suspect it would start with a 1st and a top prospect and then probably include a roster player and a depth pick. At the same time I suspect MacTavish would make it conditional upon opening negotiations with Vanek’s agent, to make it a trade with a signing quick to follow.

I had to laugh when I heard MacTavish say that he wasn’t able to do everything he wanted to so far this summer. Really? Couldn’t paint the house, reno the kitchen, teach your dog to drive and find a solution to the Eurozone debt crisis? Hmm, mustn’t have been trying very hard.

2. dulock says:

Antropov? Antropov? Anybody…anybody? Antropov?

I excluded him because MacT wants speed, but have always liked him.

4. SpotTheLoon says:

Interesting comments from MacT today. I am still hopeful that a deal with Gagner can be reached before arbitration. I don’t blame Gagner one bit for pursuing that route. It’s his right under the current CBA.

If I’m looking to fill that 2L spot, I would favour Kulemin. Certainly his goal production dropped off from what they were but the guy is only 26, big, hits and we can hope that he recaptures that scoring touch by putting him in a position to be successful. Given that his play has dropped off, we might be able to get him for a “reasonable” price in a trade.

I am left with the impression that MacT is a quick study. His comments sound rather neutral and non committal at this point. He isn’t telegraphing his intentions and seems to be playing his cards a little more closely to the vest. There are some teams in a self imposed cap purgatory of their own making. MacT knows that, eventually, they will have to become cap compliant. And we have a few assets to dangle that might make the Oilers an obvious trading partner. Let’s hope. We wait.

5. Young Oil says:

Has Grabovski played with Kulemin in the past? if so, both of them would make great additions!

Too bad he values speed so highly…we already have loads of that, and I would like to see additions that are big bodies with some hands, but need somebody to drive the play for them to gain zone entry. Jagr and Nick Palmieri come to mind.

6. bookje says:

I’m concerned. Mact’s moves look pretty much the same as Tambellini’s ‘compete’ moves at the same time in 2011. They may work out better, but its equally possible that guys like Ferance follow Belanger over the cliff.

7. wheatnoil says:

I think Lowetide said himself on his show before the draft that we’re all unlikely to agree with all of MacT’s moves. I certainly don’t. I quite like some of them and dislike others. That said, the best indicator that things have changed in Oilers management is this: MacT doesn’t think he’s done. Now, that may not translate into a hell of a lot more moves over the summer and that’s going to be frustrating as hell. However, it’s not AS frustrating as seeing a clearly unfinished team and having the sense that management is perfectly fine with it as it is. There’s been Saskatchewan-pothole sized holes in this roster since after the Stanley Cup run, everyone knew it every summer, and management seemed fine with it. At least now they’re not.

I’m still going to be frustrated if training camp opens and there’s not an addition or two, particularly at centre, but at least I’ll feel like MacT is frustrated too. Baby steps.

8. sumaclab says:

Confirmed my earlier thoughts regarding Klefbom. There seems to be a clear cut line between the men and the boys at development camp and klefbom belongs with the men. I think that this is the reason that the Philly negotiations are more likely to include B.Shenn for a pick rather than Colburne. The decision I think has been made about where Klefbom fits this fall. That probably will make a lot of folks questioning the Oilers developmental philosophy. But if he is ready to go let the horse out of the barn I say.

The only real issue I see is Hemsky. Has to be a non issue by training camp. No ifs or buts.

Partridge Family logo and opening theme song. I’m to old. I remember it well.

9. SinceTheWHADays says:

LT,
    Wasn’t everyone talking about Chris Stewart during the season. What did I miss. Do we have any assets the Blues would want?

10. Melman says:

IF Gagner goes to arbitration (and doesn’t sign on the steps), that would be a colossal blow as his trade value will disintegrate. This is likely the biggest pile of poop Tambi left on MacT’s desk, and he becomes a UFA next year Khabby’s ridiculous contract would pale in comparison to this on the F* up scale. Nice legacy, allowing the youngest player in NHL history to become a UFA after the team has spent 7 years developing a 24 yr. old RHC.

So if Gagner goes to arb, he’s FA next summer.

Youngest FA in the history of the NHL.

Great idea to start him at 18 and another stroke of brilliance to sign him to 1 year last year.

Incompetence is too high a standard to describe the whole situation from start to finish.

MacT was coach and Lowe GM when they started him at 18, and they are still here. They need to wear this as much as Tambo for the 1 year contract last year.

So, if he goes to arb his value as a trade chip drops by each game played until the deadline.

Since you can’t get a deal done now, does that bode well for re-signing him as an FA?

I don’t think so, so you need to sign Grabbo, trade Gagner and move on.

Lots of water under that bridge, but it can get worse unless they either get Gagner on a long term contract or trade him.

If they let him get to FA and he walks it will complete the trifecta of extreme idiocy in management.

I’ll make a trophy for them with a golden $100 bill on fire stuck on a pile of dog shit.

12. Truth says:

Nice work LT. Vanek would have to be acquired through a severe underpay to be considered a good move, IMO.

Blake Wheeler would be a win. Big win.

Can’t see Glencross being traded to Edmonton, but it is Feaster. Is that Muir still considered a high school player? Maybe a couple of those late picks going to college would do?

Still can’t see Penner being a fit. The well connected radio personality in town is pushing the idea of Penner and that scares the hell out of me. I would take playoff Penner all day as would MacT, Eakins, Sutter, and Lombardi. Clearly Lombardi and Sutter made up their minds that regular season Penner is too much of a burden to carry just to have his services in the playoffs. Give him a one year deal and it will be low risk, but be prepared to be dissapointed if you are thinking he is going to be anything other than a press box regular. I’d rather give Armstrong a shot.

Twitter was buzzing about the possibility of Marchand being available. He doesn’t fit the size requirement, but he fits the pain-in-the-ass-to-play-against and talented requirements. I would argue he is more of a pain to play against than Penner. If he’s being shopped I’m definitely listening.

13. bookje says:

I should add, there’s still time for MacT to do more and better stuff, and I hope he does. If. MacT doesn’t build a competitive group and the Oilers falter again, I may just become D.S.F.

14. Melman says:

SpotTheLoon,

I think the rhetoric about MacTavish committing a rookie GM move by telling everyone his intentions is vastly overblown. Everyone, I mean Everyone in hockey knew/knows what the Oilers holes were and what pieces needed to be added.

There is no way each team does not have a book on the other 29 teams that identifies all the players in their respective systems and the weaknesses that they would like to address. We all knew Vancouver had a goalie issue, Philly is in cap hell and Edm.’s top 6 needs a different complement of players. That MacT states it to the fans only give us reassurance that he sees the same problems we do – it doesn’t let the cat out of the bag to the other 29 teams.

15. bookje says:

Melman,

I don’t think it affected his ability to trade/bargain.

16. dulock says:

That’s probably true. I think he’d be a fit as 3RW who could play aany other position in the top 9 if necessary. I’m betting he goes on a value deal late in the summer.

17. Truth says:

Speaking of Bruins players on the block, could the Oilers have gotten Seguin and Peverly for Marincin, Gagner, and Hemsky while retaining a bunch of Hemsky’s contract? Hm.

18. SpotTheLoon says:

Melman,

I agree that it is obvious that teams have issues that can be identified by simply looking at a roster or cap compliance situation. That said, when a GM builds expectations among fans by saying they are going to move the moon, the starts and the sun, the dynamic of fan expectation can’t be discounted. Human nature is such that if someone makes bold statements, they are likely to do whatever they can to back it up. So that creates pressure entirely outside the matter of roster or cap compliance itself. It can introduce desperation and, by all accounts, MacT hasn’t succumbed to it, although I am sure other GMs have tried to take advantage of him.

19. Melman says:

Woodguy,

The only ones who know how much blame should be shared on the 1 year to Gagner are in the Oilers’ office – for all we know Craig was in an explicative rant driving home on the Whitemud the day that went down.

Totally agree though, they need to either sign him or trade him to a team that feels they’ll have enough time to sign him before he goes to arbitration. Gagner has the hammer…..so Woodguy how much would you pay him?

SinceTheWHADays:
    LT,
    Wasn’t everyone talking about Chris Stewart during the season.What did I miss. Do we have any assets the Blues would want?

St. Louis is trying to get everyone in under the cap and Stewart is apparently a big part of that. Perron may be available based on published rumors.

21. spoiler says:

Didn’t Mueller sign in Nashville?

I’d bet legal tender, barring further moves, that Jones starts the season on the 3rd line. I haven’t heard MacT refer to it as a shutdown checking line, but I have heard him refer to Jones as a 3rd liner.

22. Marc says:

I’ll guess Marchand or Kelly from Boston with Hemsky and or MPS plus going the other way.

Check out @GlobeKPD (boston’s Matty)

23. Melman says:

SpotTheLoon,

I hear what your saying, but – and it’s a huge but – if you are a good GM then telling the fans you’re going to do something big shouldn’t mean you then go out and overpay. Like you said MacT hasn’t done that (although I think missing on Clarkson was a huge bullet dodge). Most of them are under pressure (maybe not Snow :), just for different reasons. Gillis is going redder by the day because his fwd roster has gaping holes all over the place and he can’t make any moves.

24. SpotTheLoon says:

Melman,

The difficulty is that a lot of fans simply don’t care about the composition of a roster other than the fact that it wins. Winning solves everything. Most all of the posters here take a more detailed approach to roster composition, cap situations, etc. But for the average fan it is simply a matter of winning. And if a team is winning, they can justify overpayments to players. The difficulty is that professional sports is predicated on the notion of emotional buy in. That isn’t logical in approach. So we can look at all sorts of things to tinker with the roster but, for the average fan, they just want the losing to end and don’t really care what it costs to achieve it.

A lot of GMs in the league likely knew MacT fairly well from his time as a player and coach. But they wouldn’t be doing their jobs if they didn’t try to take advantage of him in a trade. As a GM, he was an unknown quantity. I was dubious about him being named GM but I am more pleased all the time with his efforts. I don’t agree with every move he has made but I can at least understand the rationale of the moves he has made.

There are a few GMs that make me wonder. Gillis is a smart guy and has kept expectations low but fans in Lotus Land are about ready to eat their young once the lights go out. Garth Snow actually has done a good job on Rickers Island but how Holmgren still has a job after the compliance buy outs, I will never know. Maybe owners are just as liable to the emotions of hope and “there is always next year” as some of the fans. :-)

25. spoiler says:

spoiler:
    Didn’t Mueller sign in Nashville?

Nope, guess not… Thought I had read that somewhere.

26. dulock says:

spoiler,

Different Mueller. Chris not peter

27. Captain Happy says:

bookje:
    I should add, there’s still time for MacT to do more and better stuff, and I hope he does.If. MacT doesn’t build a competitive group and the Oilers falter again, I may just become D.S.F.

Sorry…that’s already taken. ®

Perhaps you could become some sort of Captain…or I have been considering “Dead Cat Bounce” or “DCB”.

You’re welcome. :)

28. Melman says:

LT – does Perron have the edge to his game that we need? I haven’t seen him play a lot.

29. TheOtherJohn says:

Klefbom is the best player at development camp. That cannot be suprising. It is set up so that he would be. The DC is for 11/12/13 draft picks and undrafted overages/college kids. The only 1st rounder from 2011 draft (except for Nuge) is Klefbom. He’s supposed to be THE elite player at this camp. In 2 years we should be able to say the same for Nurse.

Plunk Klefbom in OKC for 45 games and call him up thereafter and don’t burn a year of FA. Klefbom played 11 games last year and he could actually, gasp, play on the 1st PP unit in OKC because he has not scored 20 points over the last 3 years. Not 20 points a year for 3 years: 20 points total over 3 seasons

If we are nearly done here is where we are at: we have a similar NHL backup goalie, a younger 3C centre than Horcoff, a single 2nd pairing D and whatever the new Finn adds. Other than that we have added pressbox & OKC players. I think its pretty hard to argue we’ll be better than we were last year by the MacT additions. A better team because young players getting better, I’d buy that argument.

Last year Tambellini added JSchu & Yak. In total!!. If we’re done I would see it as similar offseason to last years additions: adding a few slightly better players but by a relatively small margin. 29th to 24th

Realistic expectations? 20th? 18th? While burning the 1st year on Hall & Eberle’s shiny big new contract s

30. "Steve Smith" says:

bookje:

I have often felt on the verge of proving Nietzsche right by becoming D.S.F. I try to check myself before I, um, give effect to Nietzsche’s most famous quotes.

Although as an Oilers fan, I don’t think I have much choice but to gaze into abysses.

On a related note, this is one of my favourite sites on the internet.

Melman:

LT – does Perron have the edge to his game that we need?I haven’t seen him play a lot.

He plays with some edge, but isn’t Backes or Oshie level gritty.

32. Rondo says:

Interesting idea

CLIFFORD: OFFER SHEET?

LA would love Edmonton for that.

33. Captain Happy says:

Lowetide: He plays with some edge, but isn’t Backes or Oshie level gritty.

I think Oshie should be the target there but I doubt STL gives him up easily. Perron is not a bad second choice.

Captain Happy: I think Oshie should be the target there but I doubt STL gives him up easily.Perron is not a bad second choice.

Yeah, agreed. Skilled LW could help that 2line imo.

Melman,

so Woodguy how much would you pay him?

Bozak got $4.2

He’s better than Bozak.

Weiss got $4.9

He’s not as good as Weiss.

Somewhere in between.

I heard he’s asking $5.5

If that is true (I have no idea if it is), he can take a flying fuck at a rolling donut.

36. Captain Happy says:

Melman: , just for different reasons. Gillis is going redder by the day because his fwd roster has gaping holes all over the place and he can’t make any moves.

Holes…really?

RW – Burrows, Kassian, Weiss, Jensen

LW – Sedin, Booth, Higgins, Sestito

C – Sedin, Kesler, Richardson, Shroeder, Gaunce, Horvat,

D – Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler, Garisson, Tanev, Weber, Corrado

Looks like they could use a couple of 4th line depth guys.

Thanks Steve Tambellini!!! I think it’s important for MacT to get Samwise signed somewhere in the 4′s (said it above) If it’s 5 on the number, fine. But if as WG says 5.5 well the Oilers have to trade him and maybe that’s the big item to come.

38. SpotTheLoon says:

Woodguy,

Wow, I hope $5.5 is a rumour. I would like to sign him for $4.5 to $4.7 a year. What term would you go for WG? Eight years?

If they split the difference and sign at $5 on the dot, that is tolerable. But wow.

Truth:
    Speaking of Bruins players on the block, could the Oilers have gotten Seguin and Peverly for Marincin, Gagner, and Hemsky while retaining a bunch of Hemsky’s contract?Hm.

Nope. Loui Ericsson is one of the most underrated players in the league on a great contract who can deliver in the Chara window for contending. You are talking Eberle, or Hall, or Klefbom+ to get Seguin. Think getting Daniel Alfredsson at 27. Boston is getting a mid-career Daniel Afredsson and a prospect the equivalent of Marincin.

40. theres oil in virginia says:

I’m sure Gagner is more than willing to sign in Edmonton long term…for the right price. He’s an absolute dumbass if he hands over all the leverage he’s got right now. On the other hand, there’s a certain amount of security in having a long-term deal in hand. If something happens and your game falls off, you still have the contract. I think Gagner is confident he will increase in value, and if he signs long-term he can’t renegotiate (this ain’t the NFL). On the other, other hand, if he plays too much hard ball, he’s gotta know he’ll be dealt. I don’t think he’s aiming for that either. If Lowe was GM, he’d be on Long Island already.

41. SpotTheLoon says:
  42. Manitoba Oilers says:

There’s a better chance that Kane leaves Winnipeg than Blake wheeler leaving

43. Jon K says:

LT, I had a chance to listen to much of the verbal today and I agree mostly with your assessment. It seems MacT’s remaining tasks that he hopes to accomplish are as follows, in terms of his importance:

1) Re-sign Gagner long term.
    2) Acquire a big 2LW to accomplish exactly what Penner did. Players that can fill this role likely have to come from trade. Penner is available and would fit, but obviously is not coming back. Too bad.
    3) Acquire another Dman that could compete in the 5, 6, 7 range.

Given all of the above, I wonder:
    - Was MacT in on Bobby Ryan? He’d fit that LW role perfectly.
    - Brad Marchand fits some parts of that 2LW role nicely, and is apparently available, but doesn’t bring the size.
    - Does Bobby Ryan make Milan Michalek expendable in Ottawa? He’s had injury problems his whole career, and you’d have to think they’d be OK with moving out his salary with Ryan on Spezza’s wing.
    - Suppose there is always Wayne Simmonds in Philly. Their cap problems are obvious and he can probably be categorized as a fellow whose value is less than his compensation.
    -The last player I can think of is R.J. Umberger.

Would people here be satisfied with Umberger, Simmonds, or Michalek?

TheOtherJohn:

Plunk Klefbom in OKC for 45 games and call him up thereafter and don’t burn a year of FA. Klefbom played 11 games last year and he could actually,gasp, play on the 1st PP unit in OKC because he has notscored 20 pointsover the last 3 years. Not 20 points a year for 3 years: 20 points total over 3 seasons

Klefbom is two years out from the draft. I think his FA clock starts whereever he plays.

45. Melman says:

Woodguy,

Agreed. Actually if you assume he has 10 or so years left in his career, I bet he’d earn more by doing $4.7×4 which would make him a UFA at 28 and then he would cash large on a 7 year deal. If he were say to hostage the Oilers into $5.3×7 now, he’d be a UFA at 31 and probably wouldn;t get the big 7 year pay day with all the bells and whistles at that point in his career (assuming he doesn’t win a Conn Smythe isn’t the second coming of Brad Richards)

46. theres oil in virginia says:

“I heard” is sort of the definition of a rumour.

(This is going to get me in trouble, but here goes…) Would Weiss sign in Edmonton for $4.9M?

(And this might too…) Why would EDM have to trade him if he’s making $5.5M?

47. speeds says:

For the sake of argument:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

FORWARDS
    Taylor Hall ($6.000m) / Ryan N.-Hopkins ($3.775m) / Jordan Eberle ($6.000m)
    Dustin Penner ($3.250m) / Mikhail Grabovski ($4.000m) / Nail Yakupov ($3.775m)
    Magnus Paajarvi ($1.501m) / Sam Gagner ($4.500m) / Ales Hemsky ($5.000m)
    Ryan Smyth ($2.250m) / Boyd Gordon ($3.000m) / Ryan Jones ($1.500m)
    Jesse Joensuu ($0.950m)

DEFENSEMEN
    Ladislav Smid ($3.500m) / Jeff Petry ($1.750m)
    Andrew Ference ($3.250m) / Justin Schultz ($3.775m)
    Anton Belov ($1.525m) / Nick Schultz ($3.500m)
    Philip Larsen ($1.025m)

GOALTENDERS
    Devan Dubnyk ($3.500m)
    Jason Labarbera ($1.000m)

OTHER
    Buried: Ben Eager ($0.175m)
    ——
    CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
    (these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
    SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,500,500; BONUSES: $9,150,000
    CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $622,000

48. speeds says:

godot10: Klefbom is two years out from the draft.I think his FA clock starts whereever he plays.

If he were born on June 20, 1993, he would be a UFA in the summer of 2020. Because he was born July 20, 1993, he’s not 27 (for CBA purposes) in the summer of 2020; he’ll be 27 in the summer of 2021. That means that if Klefbom doesn’t play enough NHL games this year, it would not count as an “accrued season”, and he would not either (a) be 27 in summer 2020 or (b) have 7 years experience in the summer of 2020, and wouldn’t be a UFA until 2021.

*edit*

Interestingly (to me, anyways), this “loophole” is why Weber was an RFA last summer instead of a UFA. Had NSH kept him in the NHL for all of 05/06, he would have been a UFA in the summer of 2012.

speeds: Why, this looks like three scoring lines to me. :-)

50. TheOtherJohn says:

I’d still play him 1/2 season in OKC

speeds: For most players that would be true, but Klefbom was born in the July 1 – Sept 15 window, which means it’s a bit different for him.

If he were born on June 20, 1993, he would be a UFA in the summer of 2020.Because he was born July 20, 1993, he’s not 27 (for CBA purposes) in the summer of 2020; he’ll be 27 in the summer of 2021.That means that if Klefbom doesn’t play enough NHL games this year, it would not count as an “accrued season”, and he would not either (a) be 27 in summer 2020 or (b) have 7 years experience in the summer of 2020, and wouldn’t be a UFA until 2021.

THIS is why I pay speeds a lot of money to come on this blog and straighten things out (no I don’t, but I do appreciate it!).

52. Melman says:

Captain Happy: Holes…really?

RW – Burrows, Kassian, Weiss, Jensen

LW– Sedin, Booth, Higgins, Sestito

C – Sedin, Kesler, Richardson, Shroeder, Gaunce, Horvat,

D – Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler, Garisson, Tanev, Weber, Corrado

Looks like they could use a couple of 4th line depth guys.

RW – Burrows (32) who was likely the best value contract in the league the last 4 years is locked in at $.2 for 4 years with a NTC. Kassian has all kinds of potential but isn’t quite there yet. Hansen is a good 3rd line RW probably not enough offence for the 2nd line. Wiess is hanging on as a 4th liner and Jensen is a raw rookie

LW – Sedin (32) is awesome, UFA next year. Booth can’t stay healthy, but if he can is a solid 20 goals, Higgins great 3rd RW. Sestito can’t skate

C – Sedin (32) is awesome, UFA next year. Kesler awesome, injury plagued for the past 2 years, Richardson MIGHT get 10 goals, he’s really a 4th lineC, Schroeder is 5’8″, Gaunce and Horvat are pure rookies.

When, not if, Kesler goes down they have no centre depth and 1/2 the team has a NTC. Agree the top 5 D are totally solid, but they still have to sign Tanev so there’s no money left….And oh by the way their window is closing.

If you look at the Canucks biggest playoff rivals the last few years: Chicago, Boston, LA it sure doesn’t look like they are still in the same category.

53. RMGS says:

speeds:
    For the sake of argument:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

FORWARDS
    Taylor Hall ($6.000m) / Ryan N.-Hopkins ($3.775m) / Jordan Eberle ($6.000m)
    Dustin Penner ($3.250m) / Mikhail Grabovski ($4.000m) / Nail Yakupov ($3.775m)
    Magnus Paajarvi ($1.501m) / Sam Gagner ($4.500m) / Ales Hemsky ($5.000m)
    Ryan Smyth ($2.250m) / Boyd Gordon ($3.000m) / Ryan Jones ($1.500m)
    Jesse Joensuu ($0.950m)

DEFENSEMEN
    Ladislav Smid ($3.500m) / Jeff Petry ($1.750m)
    Andrew Ference ($3.250m) / Justin Schultz ($3.775m)
    Anton Belov ($1.525m) / Nick Schultz ($3.500m)
    Philip Larsen ($1.025m)

GOALTENDERS
    Devan Dubnyk ($3.500m)
    Jason Labarbera ($1.000m)

OTHER
    Buried: Ben Eager ($0.175m)
    ——
    CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
    (these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
    SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,500,500; BONUSES: $9,150,000
    CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $622,000

THIS. All day.

54. Melman says:

RMGS,

absolutely. Plus you have Hemsky in his last year which gives you an expiring contract for your own cap relief or a nice trade chip at the deadline to shore up the D

55. Captain Happy says:

Melman: RW – Burrows (32) who was likely the best value contract in the league the last 4 years is locked in at $.2 for 4 years with a NTC.Kassian has all kinds of potential but isn’t quite there yet.Hansen is a good 3rd line RW probably not enough offence for the 2nd line.Wiess is hanging on as a 4th liner and Jensen is a raw rookie

LW – Sedin (32) is awesome, UFA next year.Booth can’t stay healthy, but if he can is a solid 20 goals, Higgins great 3rd RW.Sestito can’t skate

C – Sedin (32) is awesome, UFA next year.Kesler awesome, injury plagued for the past 2 years, Richardson MIGHT get 10 goals, he’s really a 4th lineC, Schroeder is 5’8″, Gaunce and Horvat are pure rookies.

When, not if, Kesler goes down they have no centre depth and 1/2 the team has a NTC.Agree the top 5 D are totally solid, but they still have to sign Tanev so there’s no money left….And oh by the way their window is closing.

If you look at the Canucks biggest playoff rivals the last few years:Chicago, Boston, LA it sure doesn’t look like they are still in the same category.

You’re looking at the worst possible case in every one of your evaluations.

While I agree that is likely not a Stanley Cup winning roster, it is likely top 6-8 in the league.

Saying “windows are closing” in a cap world is pretty much a ridiculous statement since we don’t know what the cap will be in 2014/15.

Let’s assume for a moment that the cap in 2014/14 is $70M (Woodguy’s number).

The Canucks, under that cap regime, would have close to $28M in free cap space to rebuild their team.

Care to predict how they would spend that money?

56. bookje says:

“Steve Smith”: I have often felt on the verge of proving Nietzsche right by becoming D.S.F.I try to check myself before I, um, give effect to Nietzsche’s most famous quotes.

On a related note, this is one of my favourite sites on the internet.

That site is awesome. Along the same line of ‘edited cartoon’ is this brilliant site. In fact the top cartoon is about how I feel as an Oiler fan…

Be sure to read the explanation at the top.

57. Captain Happy says:

Zack Stortini signs with the Ducks:

58. Ducey says:

LT

I think you are overlooking Philly. They signed Gustafson today and have about 20 defensemen on NHL contacts. They are over the Cap by 2 million. Something has to give, and we know MacT was in there pitching…

59. Captain Happy says:

Ducey:
    LT

I think you are overlooking Philly.They signed Gustafson today and have about 20 defensemen on NHL contacts.They are over the Cap by 2 million.Something has to give, and we know MacT was in there pitching…

Philly is NOT in cap trouble.

When they put Pronger on LTIR, they are $3M under the cap with a 24 man roster.

When they move out a couple of excess players they will likely be close to $5M under the cap.

60. theres oil in virginia says:

.Weiss was reportedly looking for around $6 million per season so in that sense its still a good deal for Detroit.

Don’t know how they figured out how much he was looking for, but it was on the internet, so it’s true.

61. "Steve Smith" says:

Captain Happy: You’re looking at the worst possible case in every one of your evaluations.

See? Like I said: Nietzsche.

62. theres oil in virginia says:

In fairness, from the same article:
    Is that a good amount of money to pay for a player like Weiss? Yes, but in comparison to some of the other deals across the league, that’s not bad. Weiss is not a top-line guy but he’s certainly a top-six centerman who can play in all three zones.

63. Captain Happy says:

“Steve Smith”: See?Like I said: Nietzsche.

Oiler fans should be devotees of Stewart Smalley.

64. Ducey says:

Captain Happy: Philly is NOT in cap trouble.

When they put Pronger on LTIR, they are $3M under the cap with a 24 man roster.

That was kind of my point. They need to move excess players.

65. Ducey says:

So would you rather have Gordon at 3 x $3 million or Clutterbuck at 4 x $ 2.75 million?

Seems the Oilers didn’t really overpay in light of that contract.

66. Captain Happy says:

Ducey: That was kind of my point.They need to move excess players.

So Bruno Gervais and Marc Bourdon are assigned to Adirondack.

Another $1.4M in cap space.

67. Maverick says:

Captain Happy: Philly is NOT in cap trouble.

When they put Pronger on LTIR, they are $3M under the cap with a 24 man roster.

Captain Happy is correct to a point, except no player can be placed on LTIR until the season begins and team payrolls can not exceed 10% of the salary cap limit before the season begins. After the season begins they can place Pronger on LTIR and save the cap space for that season. So my understanding is they still have to comply to the cap and are over the 10% limit allowed. They must move salary or face a penalty before Sept.

In case we are in need of some little reading here is the NHLPA copy of the CBA.

68. G Money says:

Reads more like the average case.

Vancouver was tied for 8th in the league in points last year. Don’t think this years roster is an improvement. They’ll be lucky to be top 10, and I’d say that’s pretty indicative that the long slow slide has started.

RexLibris: If he gets to within two items left on the MacTavish honey-do list then I think the entire fanbase owes him a beer. That would be one very productive (and focused) off-season.

Mostly true, but to some extent that depends on what those two things are. If 2L and 4C are both unaddressed, that leaves both lines goal sieves like last year, and other than staunching the Whitney bleed, the team realistically is little better off.

If what’s left on the list is dealing Hemsky and Gagner going to arbitration … I will be dancing in the streets!

69. theres oil in virginia says:

Y’know, Gagner’s point production wasn’t really bolstered this year by PP scoring as much as I had thought.

YEAR GM G A PTS PPG PPA
    ’07-’08 79 13 36 49 4 12
    ’08-’09 76 16 25 41 6 5
    ’09-’10 68 15 26 41 6 11
    ’10-’11 68 15 27 42 3 6
    ’11-’12 75 18 29 47 6 6
    AVRGE 73 15 29 44 5 8

’12-’13 48 14 24 38 4 11
    12-13X82 82 24 41 65 7 19

INCR 1.55 1.43 1.48 1.37 2.35

The INCR row is 5 year average divided by 12-13 projected to 82 games.

The only anomalous one really is PPA.

70. hags9k says:

I’m starting to panic over this arbitration talk. They don’t seem able to commit to this player even though it was them who drafted him and stuck him in there at 18. Then go and offer some joker from Jersey 6 per for a hundred years. No doubt the frustration is building on his side. This is a mess. I think I’d have to cave and do 6 x 5.25 and slap an A on him and lets move on.

Maverick: Captain Happy is correct to a point, except no player can be placed on LTIR until the season begins and team payrolls can not exceed 10% of the salary cap limit before the season begins.After the season begins they can place Pronger on LTIR and save the cap space for that season.So my understanding is they still have to comply to the cap and are over the 10% limit allowed.They mustmove salary or face a penalty before Sept.

This is my understanding as well.

72. theres oil in virginia says:

I’m sure that Holmgren would be well served by coming out and saying, “Oh God, we’re in deep shit. We really need Craig MacTavish to help us out of our cap misery or the season’s doomed!”

I think you may be right, they may be done. Just not like you meant it.

SpotTheLoon:
    Woodguy,

Wow, I hope $5.5 is a rumour.I would like to sign him for $4.5 to $4.7 a year.What term would you go for WG?Eight years?

If they split the difference and sign at $5 on the dot, that is tolerable.But wow.

Cap is going no where but up.

For a 24 year old I like 5-6 years.

74. Captain Happy says:

G Money: Reads more like the average case.

Vancouver was tied for 8th in the league in points last year.Don’t think this years roster is an improvement.They’ll be lucky to be top 10, and I’d say that’s pretty indicative that the long slow slide has started.

Mostly true, but to some extent that depends on what those two things are.If 2L and 4C are both unaddressed, that leaves both lines goal sieves like last year, and other than staunching the Whitney bleed, the team realistically is little better off.

75. Young Oil says:

Gagner alone is probably worth a top 4 Dman.

What kind of package involving Gagner could bring in a top 2 Dman?

Gagner+N.Schultz+2014 1st+Musil?

76. Captain Happy says:

Lowetide: This is my understanding as well.

So, they send a couple of guys to Adirondack, problem solved.

Holmgren is a bit twitchy but he’s not stupid.

77. Ducey says:

I think the Oilers may have to set their sights lower than Vanek. If we are talking BUF, how about Luke Adam?

6’2″ 200+ lbs. 23 yrs old. 44th overall (2nd round) in 2008. Put up 90 points in his last year in the QMJHL. Has the world junior experience KLowe loves. Had 62 points in 57 games in the AHL in 2010-11. Since then has regressed a little. Has 25 points in 75 NHL games over 3 seasons. Last year he only had 4 games in the NHL. He put up 37 points in 67 games in the AHL. Had 57 PIM’s so might be a little gritty. Had 141 shots in those 67 games, so has a little offense. Is a Newfie.

He is a C. Doesn’t seem great on faceoffs (not unusual for a young player not used to the BS of NHL faceoffs). Is a restricted free agent. I expect he may have to clear waivers.

He would seem to come reasonably cheap and would seem to be an upgrade in Lander (and give him a year in the minors). Give him 60 games with Smyth and Jones on the 4th line and he might just blossom.

78. theres oil in virginia says:

Young Oil:
    Gagner alone is probably worth a top 4 Dman.

What kind of package involving Gagner could bring in a top 2 Dman?

Gagner+N.Schultz+2014 1st+Musil?

Probably a package including Eberle, Hall, Yak, RNH…

What sort of a package would it take to get one of those guys from EDM? How about:
    St. Weiss + a scrub + 2014 1st + a low-end prospect?

Lowetide: This is my understanding as well.

Last year PHI sent 2 regulars down to the minors who didn’t have clear waivers to make it to the cap on opening iirc.

Pronger must be on the active opening day roster, a roster which must be under the cap.

He can be LTIR after game 1.

Captain Happy: So, they send a couple of guys to Adirondack, problem solved.

Holmgren is a bit twitchy but he’s not stupid.

I’m not sure they have the guys with big enough contracts who don’t need to clear waivers.

I think last year Brayden Schenn was one of them with his $3.1MM cap hit.

He has to clear now.

81. Young Oil says:

theres oil in virginia,

It all depends on the team giving that deal, a #2C+#5D+1st round pick+prospect picked in the 2nd round.

If Columbus offered Dubinski+Nikitin+1st+Jenner/Dansk for Yak/Eberle, I’d take that in a second.

Every player has a price, and the deal that I proposed with Gagner isn’t terribly far from the one that got Rick Nash (when you take into account that the value of an Edmonton 1st round pick is much more valuable than a NYR first round pick).

82. G Money says:

Captain Happy: I guess if you assume a healthy Kesler, Booth an improved Kassian and Brad Richardson have zero effect, you might b on to something/

Not that I want to discuss the Canucks any further – that’s why I come to an Oilers blog, hint, hint – but the core guys for the Canucks of Sedin/Sedin/Burrows/Bieksa/Lou are all in their 30s now, and by eye and by stat, their career arcs now look to have a distinct upside down ‘U’ shape to them. So even if you have a healthy Kesler (huge IF), I don’t think incremental improvements in the play of the spare parts you mention on their roster will compensate for that downward slide.

And no matter how much cash/cap you have in a few years, you ain’t replacing those guys in free agency.

On the flip side – given that the Oilers are built around a core of young players with a distinctive upward slope to their trajectories, the Oilers should automatically improve, and do so to a greater extent than the Canuckleheads will slide.

Looks like you may have to switch team allegiances again soon Captain Happy.

83. theres oil in virginia says:

How about David Krejci as a comparable for Gagner? His cap hit is $5.25M, but it’s only 3 years. Am I missing something there?

84. speeds says:

Maverick,

Players can be put on LTIR prior to the start of the season. Even if they couldn’t. PHI could demote both B.Schenn and Couturier without waivers and recall them right away

85. spoiler says:

Have I mentioned how much I love Internet Night at the Asylum?

86. Melman says:

Captain Happy:
    spoiler,

I think assuming 80 games at C with Richardson, Schroeder & Gaunce behind him is a recipe for indigestion. Nevermind that you’re counting on Booth to revert back to his pre-concussion 2008-09 season and that Brad Richarson will somehow be a significant improvement over Lapierre. The Canucks D is excellent for sure, but their forwards are getting old, and they have an unhappy 34 year old goalie that they are married to as their started who is backed up by Eddie Lack and the new Swede who have 0 NHL games of experience. They have NTC’s out the wazoo and no cap room. They’re fingers are crossed that Jensen/Gaunce or some other draft pick comes in and can fill an important role.

87. Captain Happy says:

theres oil in virginia:
    How about David Krejci as a comparable for Gagner?His cap hit is $5.25M, but it’s only 3 years.Am I missing something there?

Yes, you are missing something.

Krecji scored 26 points in 22 playoff games.

88. speeds says:

Woodguy,

AFAIK, he can be put on LTIR prior to the season starting, but that may not be to maximize LTIR room:

89. G Money says:

Captain Happy: On almost any team in the league, he is, at best, a #3C but, on the Oilers he has to be a #2C.

Gagner? You mean the guy who finished 17th in scoring in the league among centres? (22nd if you use PPG) The one who did it with one winger an off-wing rookie and the other with a Kesler-like injury situation? That Gagner? Sounds 3Cish to me, sure.

90. Ducey says:

Captain Happy:
    The Oilers are in a really tough spot with Gagner.

I would cut bait and sign Kyle Wellwood to perform those duties with only a small drop off in production but with a HUGE cap saving.

Oh brother, not this again.

Small drop off in production? 38 pts to 15 pts is small?

Its amazing that Kyle is still on the market, given his 15 pts and 2 PIM’s (how do you get only one penalty the whole season?) last year in 39 games. Definitely 2C material there.

91. theres oil in virginia says:

Captain Happy: Yes, you are missing something.

Krecji scored 26 points in 22 playoff games.

Gagner’s not yet had his chance. If that’s all I’m missing, then I’d say I hit pretty close to the mark.

PS – It would have been more impressive to add the 73 P in 81 career playoff games.

92. Captain Happy says:

Ducey: Oh brother, not this again.

Small drop off in production?38 pts to 15 pts is small?

Its amazing that Kyle is still on the market, given his 15 pts and 2 PIM’s (how do you get only one penalty the whole season?)last year in 39 games.Definitely 2C material there.

Good grief.

Look at their TOI.

Neither Wellwood or Gagner are #2C material and the drop off from one to the other is NOT worth millions.

93. G Money says:

Captain Happy: Good grief.
    Look at their TOI.

Heh heh … you do make me chuckle with your attempts at “logic” and “math”. I guess that’s why they call you Happy!

Just to reiterate, please … read … the … following … slowly … so … you … might … understand. Saying … the … words … out … loud … might … help … you.

Gagner: 17th in the league in scoring, 22nd in PPG. There are (count ‘em) 30 (thirty) titular 1C’s in the league. 17th/30 or 22nd/30, young Sammy is squarely in 1C territory for scoring – but healthy 2C material given the shortcomings in other elements of his game, like faceoffs

You’re also dead wrong on the Wellwood assessment, but in the other direction. 93rd in the league in scoring, 103rd in PPG – he’s not even good 3C material.

BUT! That said, I would certainly say Wellwood’s an upgrade on Lander at 4C.

Sorry guys. DSF/Captain Happy is back in moderation jail. I just don’t have time to delete all of these comments. So, if you’re in conversation, it might take a few minutes for his commenst to show up.

95. "Steve Smith" says:

Sorry guys.

I reluctantly accept your apology.

96. Zipdot says:

LOL WELLWOOD

98. bookje says:

Captain Happy: Good grief.

Look at their TOI.

The most perfidious way of harming a cause consists of defending it deliberately with faulty arguments.

99. Gerta Rauss says:

Raise your hand if you had a crush on Susan Dey when you were growing up.

Gerta Rauss:
    Raise your hand if you had a crush on Susan Dey when you were growing up.

Man. I had it bad.

101. RexLibris says:

I always find Rutherford’s moves intriguing. Some are blatantly exploitative (the Kaberle deal with Gautheir) and others are, well, interesting (Semin for seven years).

Jagr certainly fits what little I know of their organization’s priorities, and it would be very interesting to see Ruutu become available.

What I find most infuriating for the Oilers is that they need big players to play against big players in the West. But the Western teams will only move said players to the East so as not to face them as often (despite the scheduling change). So the Oilers watch as good candidates like Clutterbuck and others get shipped off East while they have to wait for someone to shake loose in a cap-constraint issue form an Eastern team.

I never thought I’d long for the days of Mike Milbury as a GM. He’d have given us Hamonic and Neilsen for Horcoff and Teubert by now.

102. RexLibris says:

Gerta Rauss:
    Raise your hand if you had a crush on Susan Dey when you were growing up.

More of a Lynda Carter man myself. Those eyes…

103. LoDog says:

I think LT may have mentioned a number starting with a 4 for gagner but 5×5 might work out ok. Maybe.

104. bookje says:

Sorry guys. D.S.F/Capt’n Hap.py is back in moderation jail. I just don’t have time to delete all of these comments. So, if you’re in conversation, it might take a few minutes for his commenst to show up.

Whoever battles with monsters had better see that it does not turn him into a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

105. Gerta Rauss says:

…errr…umm……..pot…kettle….

106. Gerta Rauss says:

Ruutu would be a welcome addition-he’s not a perfect fit by any means but that ship has sailed at this point.

107. Cameron says:

RexLibris: More of a Lynda Carter man myself. Those eyes…

I have a framed Linda Carter/Wonder Woman poster (from the DVD release of the series) in my man cave. The Partridge Family was never my kinda show, but I did like Susan Dey on LA Law.

108. bookje says:

Ok, as much as I think this blog is ripe for Nietzsche quotes, my brain hurts so I will stop with this one.
    Extreme positions are not succeeded by moderate ones, but by contrary extreme positions.

109. "Steve Smith" says:

A friend of mine once told me that when he reads Nietzsche, he hears my voice. I took it as a compliment. I am not at all sure that I was supposed to.

(He also told me that when he reads me, he hears Peter Mansbridge’s voice.)

110. striatic says:

Lowetide: Rumor tonight from adrian dater that the Hurricanes may be close to signing Jagr. They’re close to the cap, I wonder if Ruutu might shake free?

the hurricanes are crazy.

simply nuts.

striatic: the hurricanes are crazy.

simply nuts.

Long live the Hurricanes!

112. Bar_Qu says:

“Steve Smith”,

The Mansbridge thing was the insult.

Shame about the Captain getting thrown in jail, mind you he was getting baited pretty well.

The MacT press conf simply confirms what sane heads knew beforehand. Which the Rolling Stones also could have told him several decades ago. Sigh.

I do look forward to the next move though.

113. striatic says:

i do really like the idea of big money, one year contract, elite old guys on rebuilding teams though.

tank, flip the player for a first at the deadline. get two first round picks in the draft.

114. striatic says:

though of course with the cap so low, this is the absolute worst possible year to embrace that strategy.

115. spoiler says:

RexLibris: More of a Lynda Carter man myself. Those eyes…

I don’t recall ever seeing Carter in the Partridge Family.

116. "Steve Smith" says:

Bar_Qu,

I constantly – constantly – make a joke where, whenever somebody’s making some observation that amounts to you not always being able to get what you want, I add “Yeah, it’s like the Rolling Stones said…” and then follow up with some unrelated lyric. “Nobody can hang a name on Ruby Tuesday” is a favourite.

Despite an awful lot of people’s best efforts, nobody has yet convinced me that this is not hilarious.

117. spoiler says:

Sorry guys. Capn Happy is back in moderation jail. I just don’t have time to delete all of these comments. So, if you’re in conversation, it might take a few minutes for his commenst to show up.

Thank you, LT. This blog is not enjoyable when that bitter old bastard has such a high pitch count.

I wonder what his goal is? If he wrecks or drives people away from your blog, he has nowhere to post, no audience. It’s self-defeating.

118. spoiler says:

Would spending an asset on Ruutu be better than signing Antropov?

I like Antropov’s ability to cover both C and LW… He just needs fancy new rocket skates.

119. spoiler says:

“Steve Smith”:
    Bar_Qu,

I constantly – constantly – make a joke where, whenever somebody’s making some observation that amounts to you not always being able to get what you want, I add “Yeah, it’s like the Rolling Stones said…” and then follow up with some unrelated lyric.“Nobody can hang a name on Ruby Tuesday” is a favourite.

That’s actually pretty funny.

120. Maverick says:

speeds:
    Maverick,

Players can be put on LTIR prior to the start of the season.Even if they couldn’t. PHI could demote both B.Schenn and Couturier without waivers and recall them right away

Thanks speeds. I was hoping you would join the conversation and add to it, your understanding of the CBA is a little better than the rest of us.

Schenn and Couturier are extremely close to waivers, though. Not sure how close but I will leave that in your capable hands to clarify.

121. Maverick says:

RexLibris: More of a Lynda Carter man myself. Those eyes…

Ahh… Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman, my first crush when I was a kid :-)

122. Bar_Qu says:

“Steve Smith”,

I strongly commend this method of conversational obfuscation.

My personal favourite is mixing metaphors.

But then again, hindsight is 50/50. (Which is a most excellent descriptor for the 2007-12 Oilers)

123. spoiler says:

When I was seven or eight years old, I was a bit of a paedophile… Jodi Foster from those really bad 70s Disney movies was more my style.

I remember the first time I saw Maude’s daughter, Adrienne Barbeau… I would have fallen out of my chair, if I hadn’t already been on the floor. Wowza!

Dey, though, was right up there.

And I’ll admit it, Daisy Duke in Junior High was a goddess.

124. speeds says:

Maverick,

I don’t know precisely how close they both are to the waiver cutoff, but I don’t think either would be past their cutoff. I don’t know precisely because there is some sort of prorated formula for calculating GP due to the lockout shortened season, and I haven’t looked into that yet, but I would imagine players probably get credit something like 82/48 GP for every 1 GP in the lockout.

The cutoff is, ordinarily, 160 GP, Couturier had 77 GP prior to last year, Schenn 63GP, so I don’t imagine however their 2013 season is prorated it would push them past the 160 marker. Based on years from signing, neither guy would have to clear until the end of 13/14, like RNH.

125. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Nietzsche is ripe for quote-mining… but that kind of decontextualization usually serves to obscure his thinking.

At any rate, my favorite, for hilarity’s sake:

“People who have become free… wipe their shoes on the miserable type of well-being that grocers, Christians, cows, females, Englishmen, and other democrats dream about” (TI Skirmishes 38).

Also, easily my favorite asyndetic sentence.

126. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“Steve Smith”:
    Bar_Qu,

Actually (used in this douchey-sence for effect

end bracket), any whimsical reflection that begins like so: “Yeah, it’s like x said…” (or equivalent) followed by a non sequitur (regardless of whether the x prompts your interlocutor to expect a particular answer) is generally going to be hilarious IMO. A favorite example of mine:

127. speeds says:

speeds:
    Maverick,

I don’t know precisely how close they both are to the waiver cutoff, but I don’t think either would be past their cutoff.I don’t know precisely because there is some sort of prorated formula for calculating GP due to the lockout shortened season, and I haven’t looked into that yet, but I would imagine players probably get credit something like 82/48 GP for every 1 GP in the lockout.

The cutoff is, ordinarily, 160 GP, Couturier had 77 GP prior to last year, Schenn 63GP, so I don’t imagine however their 2013 season is prorated it would push them past the 160 marker.Based on years from signing, neither guy would have to clear until the end of 13/14, like RNH.

The way I described it is not exactly how it works, there is a more complicated formula*. Don’t quote me on this, because I just looked at it briefly, but I don’t believe either Couturier or Schenn would have to clear waivers on day 1 of the regular season this year. As long as they don’t get injured or healthy scratched, they would have to clear waivers, if demoted, at some point relatively early next season.

* If you’re interested, it’s in Exhibit 16, pg.369 of the PDF, labelled pg. 349 of the CBA

128. PunjabiOil says:

There is no way to sugarcoat this.

This has been a terrible off-season.

What is so hard about signing Penner, Gilbert, Grabovski? Benoit Pouliot? Ryan Malone can be acquired for pennies on the dollar.

We’ve seen it before. There is little activity historically a few days after free agency. The team we see now is the team we’ll get.

Another year of wasted bullets. Neglect management? Karma.

It’s quite sad, actually.

129. fuzzy muppet says:

II Have ALOT of fond memories of a certain Farrah Fawcett poster in a red swimming suit. I think I still have it somewhere!

You could cut glass with those things

130. Romulus Apotheosis says:

PunjabiOil: MacT promised big things, and failed to deliver. In no sense is this off-season much different from 2011.

Not to curb your sad too much…

but the off-season still has a long way to go and I don’t really think we should hold MacT’s acquisitions (or lack thereof) hostage to his press strategy, which is primarily targeted to the fanbase.

131. dangilitis says:

Thanks, Captain Oppositional Defiant Disorder/DSF (Dat Stupid….) lost all credibility when he claimed that Wellwood and Gagner are in the same category. He always starts out argumentative and then continues arguing just so he can get in the last word – the best way to annoy such individuals is to never let them get that last word in – that’s why I have proposed on Oilers Nation that he should be limited to 3 posts per blog. I think you should institute this, LT.

What do people think of using Hemsky to get Michalek. If they want to sell us Smith, you say no thanks, we’ll keep Hemsky’s dangles and sign a guy like Mueller or Wellwood to stop-gap 4th line center for money. Sell Hemsky at 3.5 for the last year. That means Oilers paying 1.5 to retain that portion of Hemsky’s contract, + 4.3 million for Michalek, which means that Ottawa saves 0.8 million. Now, they don’t really need to save this money, but then ask them would they rather take a 2nd rounder or the addition of a depth defenseman like Nick Schultz (all 3 NHL players UFA next year). I think that’s actually a good deal for Ottawa. Both players are quite similar in their injury history, age, and productivity. Ottawa teeming with LW and need a RW, and Edm needs LW.

1st line as projected
    Michalek – Gagner (just effin sign the guy, whats 0.5-1 mil per season when they are throwing that amount at Joensuu?) – Yak
    Paajarvi – Gordon – ? (Boyes, Armstrong, Torres so Michalek signs long-term to stay away from his hits – JK)
    Smyth – Wellwood (4th line C, Captain obvious) or P Mueller – Jones minus the additional vowels

Lander and Jonesuu

Then D still a work in progress but N Schultz’s absence is not really a big deal, just leaves a little less competition for bottom pair duty
    Petry-Smid
    J Schultz-Ference
    Belov-Kbomb
    Potter and Larssen

Honestly. One smart trade (not even a fleece) fixes the forwards where #2 LW is the only thing we have to give up anything for. Thoughts? Is that trade not a realistic option?

132. G Money says:

Bar_Qu: But then again, hindsight is 50/50.

Or as my buddies and I would say in University … 20/20 hindsight is better than two hindsights in the bush.

Romulus Apotheosis: asyndetic

Quoted for usage props!

bookje: perfidious

Quoted for usage props!

133. spoiler says:

PunjabiOil: There is no way to sugarcoat this.

This has been a terrible off-season.MacT promised big things, and failed to deliver. In no sense is this off-season much different from 2011.

I don’t recall the word “promise” ever involved. I do recall him stating his intent. I don’t recall disagreeing with it, though.

All options which remain unsigned by every other team in the league.

I don’t think Penner or Gilbert would sign here, and I don’t think the reasons for trading them have changed.

All of the remaining free agents will get signed, just won’t happen on one day. I would rather we don’t take on any stupid price points. Not to mention older players tend to desire contenders at a discount over contract. The more borderline players are looking for term because they have families and they’re worried about having less control over where they’re living next.

Another year of wasted bullets. Neglect management? Karma.

I don’t think Management is actively avoiding action. Success is a goal for each and every one of them, right?

It’s quite sad, actually.

134. G Money says:

PunjabiOil: The worst part? There are clearly short-term options out there, quality veterans than be a bridge in this transitional stage. Instead, MacT has nominally changed the team.

Romulus Apotheosis: Not to curb your sad too much…

I am torn between these two positions …

I understand the need for patience, I understand that a vehicle with a powerful engine but lacking steering wheels, suspension, and transmission cannot necessarily be fixed with one visit to a junkyard.

But PO’s position is also true, which is that there ARE (like Gilbert for D depth) or WERE (like Lapierre for 4C at $1.1M) cheap solutions available and they aren’t being exploited … waiting too long means options get less not more abundant – and the team as it sits today is only a WhitneyFerence improvement over last year, and that is not a playoff step.

135. Chris says:

Yea, I’d really like MacT to avail himself of the avilable cheap solutions to our problems. You drop in a steckle/reasoner onto the fourth line, Gilbert and Penner. If you don’t like Gilbert you could pick up Hainsey on the cheap most likely considering I’m fairely sure it would be violating the owners gentleman’s agreement to trade him to UFA for his part in the labour negotiations. Graboviski is clearly a bit tempermental but he can play hockey. Guys like Brunner, Boyes and Raymond all still don’t have contracts and could certainly be useful players on this team.

We are realistically one defensemen and two forwards from this being a competitive team.

136. russ99 says:

I have to wonder if the Gagner situation isn’t hamstringing MacT’s ability to complete the roster.

He knows how much cap room we’ll need next offseason to pay RNH,Justin Schultz and Petry (RFA) and Dubnyk (UFA) and also likely Yak if he scores as many goals as we think he will, so that $4.5-5.5 chunk is just sitting out there.

It’s obvious we can’t spend to the cap this offseason or we’re setting ourselves up for offer sheet hell next offseason.

Worst case, if we get taken to the cleaners in arb (which could happen with Gagner’s jump in numbers last season) and it looks like we’d lose him as a UFA, maybe the Oilers could walk away from the arb (which I believe is still legal in the new CBA) and sign Grabovski for a slightly lower cap number and a decent term.

137. Beaker says:

russ99:

If the Oilers let that get to Arbitration then that is an atrocity. No freaking way should Gagner be getting that far. You either sign him or trade him before that. What a colossal waste of a good asset that would. Criminal.

138. knighttown says:

Anyone know why Jussi Jokinen was passed around so liberally last year? Traded, waived and then a healthy scratch for some playoff games.

-30 years old, 6 feet, 200lbs LW
    -1 year left at $2,100,000 cap hit
    -Vollman chart is a beauty. He had tough zone starts (47%), solid zone finish (51%) and posted an excellent Corsi RelQC against pretty tough competition.
    -His GFGA/60 isn’t great at 2.1-2.6 but considering the context and his unlucky PDO (980) it’s OK.
    -Assists weren’t there but his goals/60 of 1.11 was 4th on that Pens team and would be just behind Yakupov and ahead of Hall and Eberle and every other Oiler.
    -Oh, and in case you need it, Jokinen is a beast in the faceoff circle at 57% last year and is possibly the best shootout man in NHL history.

First question, how could Tambo let him slide by on waivers. Second question, assuming the healthy scratches are an indication he’s not well loved in Pittsburgh, could he be pried out for the cap relief and a mid-round draft pick?

Possibly the perfect 3LW option with the ability to play up if needed.

139. Captain Obvious says:

I agree with punjabioil. There is freely available talent out there and it will be a failure if the Oilers don’t get it. All of the guys remaining unsigned that we are talking about will provide value contracts. If I was the gm I would try and sign all of them.

Try and sign Grabovski, sign two other depth forwards, sign Hainsey. There is no downside.

Meanwhile if you can’t sign Gagner to a longterm deal you must trade him. If you can’t sign him now you won’t be able to sign him during the season.

Finally, it says a lot that Ryan Fuckin’ Jones is still on this team. He doesn’t do a single thing well. He isn’t good defensively, he isn’t tough, he doesn’t hit, and he doesn’t really score. It says a lot that he is penciled in as the third line winger while Omark can’t get a sniff of the NHL. Omark doesn’t do any of those extra things either but at least he led the Swiss league in points. Ryan Jones would be a marginal player in the Swiss league.

140. Ducey says:

Interesting that Mr Happy was banned on a thread entitled “Get Happy”.

141. uni says:

knighttown,

I’m with you on this one, baffling would be the word.

I can even give Tambellini a pass on letting Jokinen slide on waivers, since the Penguins ended up trading a 7th round pick for him and getting Carolina to retain salary.

So Tambellini basically figured that a few games of Jared Smithson, a guy that isn’t even a good AHL level player, was worth a 4th round pick.

Mike Brown, a replacement level smallish face puncher 4th line player was worth a 4th round pick.

Mark Fistric, a 6-7 defenceman was worth a 3rd round pick.

However, a top face-off center, who can slot in anywhere on the lineup (ideally as a 2nd or 3rd line winger though), has size, skating ability, 2nd line level offense, excellent level defense, and can play wing, with a cap hit of 2.1m for 1 more season wasn’t worth a 7th round pick.

Worse yet, we can’t even say that Pittsburgh wouldn’t trade with Edmonton. You think Shero wouldn’t rather a higher seeded 7th round pick, and to send a player of Jokinen’s abilities to another conference where you’d almost never have to face him instead of a potential playoff competitor?

142. Halfwise says:

Bar_Qu:
    “Steve Smith”,

I strongly commend this method of conversational obfuscation.

My personal favourite is mixing metaphors.

They buttered their bread, they have to lie in it. Because there’s no sense beating your head on a dead horse.

Ducey:
    Interesting that Mr Happy was banned on a thread entitled “Get Happy”.

Hahahaaha. I blame Tolkien.

144. uni says:

“Steve Smith”,

This line of fun conversational confusion was popularized by Sliding Doors.

Every time something unfortunate happened John Hannah’s character would quip, “Well, you know what the Monty Python boys say…”, then pause for response followed by, “No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!”.

145. Магия¹º says:

Ducey:
    Interesting that Mr Happy was banned on a thread entitled “Get Happy”.

Seemed to think “get happy” was licence, when it was a warrant.

3. (copulative) To become.
    I’m getting hungry, how about you?
    Don’t get drunk tonight.

21. (transitive, informal) To bring to reckoning; to catch (as a criminal); to effect retribution.
    The cops finally got me. I’m gonna get him for that.