IT’S ALL ABOUT THE CHASE

Among the biggest surprises on 2013 draft day was the selection of Greg Chase by the Oilers. The player selected wasn’t the surpise, but the number (188 overall) was a complete shock.

chase player

REDLINE AT #70

• “A real Red Line favourite who flies under the radar. He’s a fine puck distributor who shows great patience and possesses the touch to constantly find linemates off the cycle. Keeps feet going after making a pass to sustain pressure in offensive zone. Versatile forward has spent time on every line and been effective in every role. Shows up every shift and his play away from the puck is impressive, makes things happen by constantly filling open ice. Refuses to back down in contested areas; first player into the corners. Wide skating stance helps him maintain balance and uses edges well to maximize glide. Hungry player has a great compete level and looks to make a difference every shift. Not as dynamic offensively as other prospects on this list, but plays a well-rounded, consistent game.”

PRONMAN AT #99

• “Chase entered the season with a decent amount of hype and he figured to make a push to be drafted in the top two rounds. While he was somewhat underwhelming, his skills make him worth knowing, the best of which is his hockey sense. Scouts praise his offensive mind and vision. He can slow the game down when he has the puck, hit targets through small lanes, and move the puck quickly when need be. He also has good hands, and when he is on, his offensive upside is apparent. His skating earns divided opinions, with one scout calling it a positive, and another saying his first steps can be a tad sluggish. His physical game and consistency are areas of concern as well. He has average size, but he does not tend to be imposing with his board work. Finally, his game-to-game on-ice work ethic could use improvement, especially in the defensive end.”

CODY NICKOLET, WHL FROM ABOVE

• “I’m not the only one expecting big things from him this coming season.  He’s the kind of player you simply notice when he’s on the ice.  He’s a fairly good skater, has good offensive instincts, thinks the game well and goes out of his way to have a physical presence on the ice.”

RYAN PIKE, THE HOCKEY WRITERS

• “Chase has progressed well during his two seasons with the Hitmen. He has made the leap into the team’s top-six group and been effective both in even-strength and power-play situations. It’s with the extra man (and extra space) that Chase seems to really excel; he’s got very good vision and is a strong passer. On quite a few occasions, he’s set up very nice scoring plays by head-faking a defender one way and then unleashing a tape-to-tape pass to the other side of the ice. When Chase is on his game, he’s visible and creating opportunities on almost every shift. However, Chase has a few rough spots in his game. He’s got a fairly good frame but can get out-muscled in board battles and in traffic. He’s a smooth skater but takes a bit of time to get up to top speed. His shot is good but not amazingly accurate yet, although it’s clear that he’s been working on it.”

LISA MCRITCHIE, KUKLA’S KORNER

• (April 2012) Being from Sherwood Park [Edmonton] and growing up hockey, Chase’s favourite team was and still is the Oilers but Chase was able to put his feelings and preferences aside when it came to being drafted.  Like me, he had to make the move from Edmonton to Calgary for work. “It was pretty exciting getting drafted, and being drafted here, it was still close to home. It is Calgary, and it is the Flames, but I’ve learned to cheer for the Flames too, and the Oilers, but mostly the Oilers. I just hope that the Flames do well too. Not as good as the Oilers” Chase explained with a laugh. He couldn’t help but laugh since my eyebrows rose as soon as he said he wished the Flames well. Chase is a very intelligent young man; he will always know what to say and how to phrase it throughout his hockey career. I knew exactly how he must feel though; he is now a member of the extended Flames family and you can’t help but have warm feelings for your family. Well, most times. (this article was about one year before the Oilers drafted Chase).

chase

THE DRAFT #188 OVERALL

• Chase: “I didn’t even watch (the draft) because I was so nervous. I was at my lake and we were all sitting around. When I got the phone call, it was pretty incredible celebrating that proud moment with my whole family.”
  • Chase“With the skill and talent that Edmonton has, not only on their team now, but in their system, I think I have to be a player who can play a second or third line role. One who is a little grittier and who adds some aggression to the lineup. I think that is exactly what this team needs and that’s what they have been saying. If I can bring that, it would be awesome. One player I try to model myself after is Brad Marchand. I think any team would love to have a player like that.”

BY THE NUMBERS

chase profile

• 69, 17-32-49 (Calgary, WHL)

FINAL COMMENTS

Remember when Stu MacGregor talked about MacT’s draft emphasis?

• MacGregor: “Well with Mac, skill is really important to him. That’s something that he’s looked for. Obviously the other intangibles of character, hard work, quality of people and players who are passionate to play the game are important, but he really has a high regard for skill.

Redline compares this player to Chris Kelly of the Bruins, and based on viewings that appears to be an accurate style comparison. I liked him before the draft, and would have been happy with him in the third round. Based on his scouting report and boxcars, Greg Chase is a far more promising draft pick than previous selections Mitchell Moroz and Travis Ewanyk.

A quality pick where Redline and Pronman had him, an outstanding selection at #188 overall.

47 Responses to "IT’S ALL ABOUT THE CHASE"

1. Logan91 says:

I lived in Calgary for the past 2 years and would watch the Oil King games whenever they came to town. Chase was always a menace he’s been getting better every year. I’d definitely have him scratching the line up before Moroz, and Ewanyk.

2. Young Oil says:

The Oilers have a wealth of prospects who could turn out to be solid bottom 6 forwards in a few years time, and a enough quality defensive prospects that in 5 years we could potentially have 6 home grown defenders in our starting lineup (Schultz, Nurse, Klefbom, Marincin, Gernat, Musil/Davidson/Simpson).

Like I know this is all entirely speculation, but here is a potential depth chart in 5 years:

RNH-Hall-Eberle
    Yakimov-Slepyshev-Yakupov
    Roy-Kessy-Khaira
    Chase-Moroz-Houck

Schultz-Nurse
    Klefbom-Marincin
    Musil-Gernat

And that’s assuming we get rid of every single player except our current fab 5 for nothing. Now, I know all of these prospects won’t turn out, and it’s beyond unlikely that 6/10 players drafted this year will even get a sniff at the NHL, but the depth and potential is something pretty exciting. SMB should be commended, as well as MacT for turning one player into 5 this draft.

Now all we need is to draft a couple goalies!

3. Big Dan says:

I also live in Calgary and have watched my share of Hitmen games. I remember telling my son that the Chase guy is the exact player the Oilers need. Every game, you noticed him – not sure why. He’s just in the middle of everything it seems. I am thrilled they got him in the draft – even moreso so late. I think he is a safe bet to make the NHL.

As for better than Moroz or Ewanyk, I can’t comment. Ewanyk was considered for the junior team so he must have some intangibles or physicality that coaches find useful. I haven’t seen him enough to comment; seems like a Vande Velde type to me.

Moroz gets crapped on a lot on this board and his stats went down the toilet this year. However, I think there’s potential there. He drives opponents BATTY – extraordinary agitator. He is big, can skate, but has hands like J.F. Jacques. I think he could be a Trevor Lewis/ Kyle Clifford banger type. I have some friends who know him, for what it’s worth. He is a very intelligent young man and teammates love him= he’s easy to cheer for … but power forward types take some time.

4. Logan91 says:

Big Dan,

After watching the Hitmen and Oil Kings in the playoffs this past season, you can’t help but get excited about having these kids. There was one game where three quarters of both teams got kicked out in the 3rd period, and Chase, Moroz, and Ewanyk were always in the middle of everything. I wouldn’t even mind having all three of them as a 4th checking line one day.

5. Oilanderp says:

The future will be better tomorrow.
    - Dan Quayle

6. gr8one says:

Man, it feels so good to be past mid July, talking draft and having a good feeling about pretty much all of the Oiler picks instead of wondering why management made reach picks on bad bets far too early.

7. bookje says:

Holy, that’s an Alice13 number of 2.69. Crazy.

8. FastOil says:

Young Oil:

RNH-Hall-Eberle
    Yakimov-Slepyshev-Yakupov
    Roy-Kessy-Khaira
    Chase-Moroz-Houck

Schultz-Nurse
    Klefbom-Marincin
    Musil-Gernat

Now all we need is to draft a couple goalies!

Now we put D pairings backwards? How about everybody put line ups in visual order:
    LW – C _ RW

LD – RD

G

Do what is normal. If the world’s normal isn’t your normal, should the rest of the world (6 + billion people) change to accommodate you? Most people don’t have left/right issues. Deal with your issues so communication between people can be more clear, please.

It’s not our fault.

C-L-R. It just makes sense. :-)

10. spoiler says:

I had Chase higher too. There’s something going on there that resulted in the slide that we, or at least I, don’t know about. Work rate maybe, but I think it was bigger than that.

11. spoiler says:

Lowetide: C-L-R. It just makes sense.

Can I buy that at Marshall Wells? Fields? Home Hardware? Lol.

No one should be forced to list the line ups visually… CLR has been around for a long time. However flipping Nurse and Schultz by the OP seems a bit… wrong.

spoiler: Can I buy that at Marshall Wells?Fields?Home Hardware?Lol.

No one should be forced to list the line ups visually… CLR has been around for a long time.However flipping Nurse and Schultz by the OP seems a bit… wrong.

Yes, agreed. Stone him!!!! :-)

13. spoiler says:

I had thought the Blue Jays had been pulled from National Programming out of embarassment. But no… Maybe they should re-consider that choice.

14. bookje says:

FastOil,

To accommodate you, I recomend we stadardize line listings on the blog using a rotation.

1st line: C-L-R
    2nd line: L-C-R
    3rd line: C-L-R
    4th line L-C-R

Please use this notation from now on.

15. Young Oil says:

Lowetide: Yes, agreed. Stone him!!!!

16. bookje says:

Young Oil: I apologize, for the defence I was mostly just listing best to worst rather than focusing on what side the defender played. Dumb mistake, sorry.

Crap, now what am I supposed to do with this bag of stones?

17. Young Oil says:

bookje: Crap, now what am I supposed to do with this bag of stones?

Fly to Dallas and throw them at Horcoff, everything is his fault. :D

18. theres oil in virginia says:

bookje:

1st line: C-L-R
    2nd line: L-C-R
    3rd line: C-L-R
    4th line L-C-R

Please use this notation from now on.

You got somethin’ against R? Man, there’s no respect for R.

Young Oil: No worries. We kid.

20. sumaclab says:

Nurse and Chase were the picks of this draft. Money that chase makes the Oilers team before anyone else other than Nurse from this years draft class. I firmly believe in this kids ability to put up the kind of PIMs and play nasty miniutes once he reached OKC. Then its a matter of man hours in the minors honing his game at a pro level. He’ll grow some man muscle and be ready and fit to play within 3-5 years. He’ll be a solid 3rd line guy who’ll give the Oilers the grit and edge they need on that 3rd line for years to come. I see him as a Dave Hunter kinda player moving forward. Hard nosed but with skill thrown in when needed and asked.

21. FastOil says:

bookje:
    FastOil,

1st line: C-L-R
    2nd line: L-C-R
    3rd line: C-L-R
    4th line L-C-R

Please use this notation from now on.

I have often worried that competitors can read Oiler blogs and gain insight that their thick and woolly heads don’t deserve.

22. bookje says:

FastOil:

Isthay isway away illiantbray anplay. Itway illway etgay away itbay onfusingcay ithway allway ofway ethay ayerplay icknamesnay oughthay: Ittysmay, Allsyhay, Onseyjay andway osay onway!

23. G Money says:

theres oil in virginia: You got somethin’ against R? Man, there’s no respect for R.

Yeah – why does bookje hate right wings so much?

I mean:
    eahya – hyway oesday ookjebay atehay ihtray ingsway osay uchmay?

Young Oil: Fly to Dallas and throw them at Horcoff, everything is his fault.

Er, I believe that’s now Gagner’s job, is it not?

24. magisterrex says:

What concerns me is the lack of Sam Gagner posts on this blog.

25. Mr DeBakey says:

FastOil: The perfect solution, but further Pig Latin is needed to keep the them off of us.

Talossan is the answer

Fuseloglh-Cioveci!

àl sinistrà – centreu -àl drept

26. regwald says:

FastOil: I think this accommodation makes perfect nonsense. And should be the standard from here on out.

D D

R

R
    L

27. RexLibris says:

Mr DeBakey: Talossan is the answer

Fuseloglh-Cioveci

And we have the advantage that Google translate hasn’t been expanded to include this language yet.

Our enemies will not be able to understand us!

I’m not certain I’ll be able to understand us either, but I’ve already become comfortable with that.

28. Bruce McCurdy says:

LW – C – RW
    LD – RD
    G

That is all.

29. RexLibris says:

Perhaps we could use binary code to describe the jersey numbers, interspersing roman numerals every three spaces with a fourth space added after a vowel ending in North American surnames and a reduction to two spaces in the case of European surnames ending in vowels.

In the case of umlauts we switch to morse code with !Kung phonetics.

30. Kitchener says:

Dustin Penner

31. regwald says:

Bruce McCurdy:
    LW – C – RW LD–RD G

That is all.

Well, that takes all the fun of it. Hmpff. I vote against it …. ;)

32. G Money says:

Bruce McCurdy: LW – C – RW
    LD – RD
    G
    That is all.

And I suppose you’ll be wanting us to get off your lawn too!

33. RexLibris says:

Back to Greg Chase, I was surprised the Oilers got him when they did. I think this could make up somewhat for missing out on the Henrik Samuelsson pick last year.

34. Bruce McCurdy says:

regwald,

Well, unless you’re describing the Pat Quinn Oilers, in which case it could be:

RW – LD
    RD
    C – G
    LW

… or variations on that theme.

35. Bruce McCurdy says:

… and yes, Greg Chase was a flat out steal where Oilers got him.

36. Pablo Aimar says:

Bruce McCurdy:
    LW – C – RW LD–RD G

That is all.

There is honestly zero reason for anything else. Really.

And if one guy from this group (Moroz,etc) turns out to be a player they will have done well.

37. PunjabiOil says:

Article from MacT.

LOL, such a well spoken guy. Refreshing change from Tambellini.

Gregor: When you look at Perron, what made that deal the right trade for you to make?

MacTavish: Just the skill level. I just love his skill. This guy can make plays in the offensive zone. He makes direct plays in the defensive zone on breakouts. He plays both sides. Our hope is that our style of play and my instinct says that our style of play will better suit David Perron.

He comes from a very good system in St. Louis, a very structured system. Watching videos of David, he looks to be a very responsible, hard working player so that’s going to help. I really feel that the way we play the game could potentially complement his game and make him a more productive player. I’ve talked to him a few times. I fully appreciate how excited he is to be coming into this group.

You know, sometimes when you’re right on top of a situation you can’t see the forest through the trees. So when you bring in guys that see the skill level and the potential, maybe more importantly, of our team and how excited they are to be a part of that, it really makes me take a step back and realize how significantly this situation has improved over the last number of years.

38. jb says:

Bruce McCurdy:
    LW – C – RW LD–RD G

That is all.

Are you new?

C-LW-RW
    LD-RD
    G

Accept it or you’ll anger the creator.

39. Gordies Elbow says:

RexLibris,

Binary? EBCDEC, UTF-8, UTF16, or ISO-8859-1?

40. raventalon40 says:

regwald: But that’s only half a solution. How are we going to disguise and hide the dmen pairings ?

D D

R
    L

L
    R

R
    L

This is ridiculous and yet in a way makes sense

41. khildahl says:

You’re all seriously over complicating the lineup. It’s:

Smid-Smid-Smid
    Smid-Smid-Smid
    Smid-Smid-Jones
    Smid-Smid-Smid

Smid-Smid
    Smid-Smid
    Smid-Smid

Smid

42. DeadmanWaking says:

If the conks come out and we conk for Conklin, I’m taking ⅁.

43. striatic says:

Bruce McCurdy:
    LW – C – RW LD–RD G

That is all.

from now on i’m never doing forward depth charts in isolation.

it’s all 5 man units from here on out, with the top line D spreading their minutes between sheltering the 2nd and 4th lines.

Hall-RNH-Yakupov
    Ference-J.Schultz

Perron-Gagner-Eberle
    Smid-Petry

Smyth-Lander-Jones
    Smid-Petry

Joensuu-Gordon-Hemsky
    Belov-Potter

44. OilLeak says:

striatic: from now on i’m never doing forward depth charts in isolation.

Hall-RNH-Yakupov
    Ference-J.Schultz

Perron-Gagner-Eberle
    Smid-Petry

Smyth-Lander-Jones
    Smid-Petry

Joensuu-Gordon-Hemsky
    Belov-Potter

The top 2 line combos I like, the last 2 however, ugh.

45. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Chase is going to be a lot of fun in two years. I think Shaw (esp. if he plays C) might be a good comparable.

We have tended to draft these agitators too high and without enough skill to make the show… it’s great to see the team taking one at an extreme value spot and with enough skill to have a decent shot.

———-

The other day Gregor put this together:

J.Schultz-Ference
    Smid-Petry
    N.Schultz-Grebeshkov
    Potter-Larsen
    Belov

I got very confused looking at it. So many players on their off-side. He hates Belov. Anyway, I asked him about it, he wasn’t listing a depth chart, just the players as his memory commanded. Still, it was visually stunning after getting used to seeing pairings by depth.

——–

I endorse the C-L-R line ups, it grows on you. I also endorse KHILDAHL’s Smid-festival.

46. OilClog says: