LOUD NOISES 4: STAND BACK!!!!

The Edmonton Oilers have some walking around money, some clear and present needs and a General Manager looking to make some noise. THIS is going to be something.

johansson gif

MACT’S LIST

1. Top 4 defender (Braydon Coburn???)
  4. NHL goalie
  6. Find a 3line R
  7. Find a 3line C
  8. Find a 4line C
  9. Deal Hemsky for immediate help (even if its a checker).
  10. Deal Horcoff or slot him into the 3line job for which he is actually ideal.
  11. Decide on Lander/Belanger or other for 13F (and 14F if they go with 7D).
  12. Better blue depth (MacT has done this with Belov, plus Klefbom/Fedun/Marincin)
  13. AHL #1/NHL #3 goalie
  14. Sign Paul Ranger

We’ve been staring at this list for a few weeks now, with only small items (Belov signing, Klefbom endorsement) touching the outskirts of the re-work. I think that changes tomorrow.

SOLUTIONS

1. Top 4 defender: The Coburn deal is still apparently out there, and there are some new options (Gilbert Gilbert) available. The emergence of Klefbom as an organizational solution continued today, but we’re likely looking at the Swede starting in OKC this fall (as it stands now).
  2. Sign Sam Gagner to a multi-year deal that has begins with a number in the 4′s. Nothing so far, suspect this will be announced after the FA flurry now. Gagner is probably not in play but the deal isn’t signed and that’s something to keep in mind.
  3. Get Paajarvi signed and then find a role that suits him (suspect it’s 3line). I think it’s reasonable to assume he’s still in play–one of the reasons a team wouldn’t sign an RFA is so their new club can deal with the player. I still think he stays.
  4. NHL goalie. The names are getting less starter-y (sorry) with Ray Emery mentioned a few times today. Oilers clearly want a strong option, Khudobin would be my choice and Ryan Rishaug mentioned Jason LaBarbera this morning.
  5. Find a 2line L who can complement Gagner-Yakupov with puck retrieval, blocking out the sun, etc. This seems to be taking a turn in the last day or so, with RIGHT WING David Clarkson being mentioned as a strong option. I’m not certain who would play the off wing (Yakupov did not perform as well there) but I think the Oilers are in play as a Clarkson option. Viktor Stalberg remains a name of interest, and Clarke MacArthur will get some consideration.
  6. Find a 3line R: No names lately, aside from Clarkson and that contract means you’ll never be able to call him a 3line option.
  7. Find a 3line C: The Leafs went a little crazy today, most NHL teams are going to want a shot at Grabovski who arrives  in free agency at an ideal time. A strong option if they choose.
  8. Find a 4line C. Oilers have Horcoff but he’s on the way out, leaving only Lander. I expect the club will cover themselves with a veteran who can play the depth role and penalty kill. Boyd Gordon would be a nice option for 3 or 4C.
  9. Deal Hemsky for immediate help (even if its a checker). That Ottawa deal doesn’t get mentioned anymore but seems possible.
  10. Deal Horcoff or slot him into the 3line job for which he is actually ideal. I still think they should bring him back for one more season. Put him in the 4line role, give Lander another year.
  11. Decide on Lander/Belanger or other for 13F (and 14F if they go with 7D). They offloaded Belanger today, so Lander probably makes the team.
  12. Better blue depth. MacT has done it already with Belov signing, plus his endorserment of Klefbom. Minor league solutions Taylor Fedun and Martin Marincin have also emerged from OKC, meaning depth may end up being a strength for this team.
  13. AHL #1/NHL #3 goalie: Nothing yet.
  14. Sign Paul Ranger: Nothing yet.

I believe Clarkson/MacArthur/Stalberg are in play, I think the Oilers probably have something on the burner with Philly for Braydon Coburn and Ray Emery could be an Oiler tomorrow.

Thoughts?

63 Responses to "LOUD NOISES 4: STAND BACK!!!!"

1. stevezie says:

I would go so far as to suggest that the Oilers not wait for FA, but just pick Grabovski off waivers.

2. rooster_monkey says:

Does this change anyone’s opinion of Grabovski though?

stevezie:

4. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“Braydon Coburn???”

“Gilbert Gilbert”

“with RIGHT WING David Clarkson”

stylistically, I greatly appreciate this differentiation. So many different ways to emphasize your insistence.

5. stevezie says:

Speaking of Toronto centres, wouldn’t Eakins’ farm buddy Mike Zigomanis make a nice 14th forward, or does Arcobello play the same role?

rooster_monkey,

There’s a lot about the guy that’s not to love, but he is too good and too on waivers not to chance it. His salary is big but before last year he looked really, really good.

6. fifthcartel says:

What Grabovski is saying isn’t completely wrong, it’s just the way he’s saying it is kinda getting the spotlight instead.

7. Rondo says:

Coburn will be expensive, whatever Oilers offer they should first offer it Columbus and try for Fedor Tyutin.

8. Fatboy80 says:

Grabovski or Boyd Gordon?
    Seems like a no brainer for a team struglling to win faceoffs.

9. leadfarmer says:

Rondo,

What makes you think he would be cheaper?

10. striatic says:

rooster_monkey: Does this change anyone’s opinion of Grabovski though?

isn’t it sort of in Grabovski’s best interest to do this?

if he’s simply claimed on waivers, he doesn’t get any extra money.

so he makes himself look like a headache in order to clear waivers, he keeps his old deal as a buyout AND he gets his new deal as a UFA on top of that.

not saying what he’s doing is actually intentional, but it would be a masterstroke if it was.

11. DBO says:

12. Romulus Apotheosis says:

leadfarmer:
    Rondo,

What makes you think he would be cheaper?

I don’t know if he meant cheaper… more like if you are going to buy a $7.50 sandwich that is good, why not simply spend the extra $2.5 and get a really good sandwich?

13. DBO says:

Fatboy80:
    Grabovski or Boyd Gordon?
    Seems like a no brainer for a team struglling to win faceoffs.

both. we got the room, both in spots and cap space.

14. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Fatboy80:
    Grabovski or Boyd Gordon?
    Seems like a no brainer for a team struglling to win faceoffs.

why not both?

15. bendelson says:

The calm before the storm?

I simply must make a predication: #13: Allen York

16. rooster_monkey says:

stevezie,

I’m with you on this one. I actually think that Eakins could make it work seeing as his main complaint seems to be about lack of communication by Carlyle. We would be missing a huge opportunity if we don’t jump on this.

17. striatic says:

DBO: According to twitter, MacArthur was in Edmonton yesterday. Fits the 2/3 LW we need.

Gregor was reporting that he was in Edmonton today also.

i think it is safe to pencil him in as the 2/3 LW for next year. Alberta boy, Oilers fan, fits a need. makes too much sense and he’s in town to boot.

18. Rondo says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Your making me hungry.

Exactly

19. bendelson says:

Umm, I also predict a spelling mistake or too…

Go MacT.

20. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Holy Gord, he’s hilarious today:

Gord MillerVerified account
    ‏@GMillerTSN
    NHL owners have spent over $120 million paying players NOT to play for them any more. I can not play for them for a lot less than that.

21. rooster_monkey says:

striatic: isn’t it sort of in Grabovski’s best interest to do this?

if he’s simply claimed on waivers, he doesn’t get any extra money.

I think you might be giving him too much credit… not to say that every hockey player is as dumb as a rock, but this Octavius Caesar stuff is beyond most of them. He was probably speaking from the heart since he had nothing to really lose. I mean the guy has the money and options now…

22. rooster_monkey says:

striatic: Gregor was reporting that he was in Edmonton today also.

Not to say that you are wrong, but couldn’t he just be visiting family too?

23. Ribs says:

24. 8p0intgame says:

Grabovski wouldn’t be welcome on my team. I don’t like his character. It is entirely implausible that he pulled those stunts to force his team to buy him out so he could essentially earn two NHL paycheques at a time… He seems like a toxic addition to the Oilers locker room.

OT: Where can I research the value of sports memorabilia? I have an autographed jersey I’m looking to sell but I don’t know what a fair price would be for it…

25. PunjabiOil says:

Clarke MacArthur grew up an Oilers fan, and may be interested in signing in Edmonton. Or he may not be.

Problem is Jason Gregor doesn’t know the full story.

Clarke lives in Edmonton in the off-season.

Clarke also plays division 1 in summer ball hockey Edmonton

_____________

The Oilers do have interest in 2 other players. A source (not my regular source) said MacT met with Clarkson and Ference today. I have a bit of hard time being the Clarkson meeting, but I guess he was just in Ottawa recently – so perhaps he is visiting other team’s management. Ference lives in Fort Saskatchewan IIRC.

26. striatic says:

rooster_monkey: Not to say that you are wrong, but couldn’t he just be visiting family too?

i’ve thought about this.

as a pending UFA, he would be remiss in not using this period to check out potential future cities and team.

so if he decided to take this period to just visit family or stay home, it would be a little odd. he has all summer for that.

Ribs: If they picked up Grabovski off of waivers, could they still use a compliance buyout on him if it doesn’t work out?

excellent question.

27. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Good god… someone tell this guy to stop analyzing:

Ryan RishaugVerified account
    ‏@TSNRyanRishaug
    Mcarthur doesn’t make sense to me with Oilers. Not a hard style player and inconsistent at that dollar.

28. striatic says:

Aaron Ward ‏@aaronward_nhl 11s
    Sources confirming David Clarkson met with the Edmonton Oilers today in Edmonton. #TSN

Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 8m

29. bookje says:

Lowetide: It makes sense. Nuge-Gagner-Grabbo suddenly gives them all kinds of options. I’m stunned Toronto made that move, spent awhile today looking for a negative but couldn’t (aside from small sample size of playoffs and even then there was weird stuff happening).

Does size matter? He is about 185 – not the large forward being sought.

Aaron Ward ‏@aaronward_nhl 1m

The Oilers might get this guy.

31. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Aaron Ward ‏@aaronward_nhl 1m

The Oilers might get this guy.

I think it would take him wanting to come here for that… Toronto has got “big city” plus all that new cap space to tickle him with.

I hope they win and we settle with MacArthur and Grabo.

32. dangilitis says:

RNH, Hall, Eberle
    Gagner, MacArthur, Yak
    Grabo/Horcoff, Paajarvi, Boyes
    Gordon, Smyth, anyone but Brown
    (Or Filpulla or Weiss pushes Gagner to wing with one less winger to find or Gagner off the team)
    (I totally agree with a Hemsky, people dont get that Hemsky trade will be lost no matter what, but he is way overpaid as a 3rd line RW so either we trade Eberle/Yakupov which I would never do or we trade Hemsky – it is a win if we can use that money to buy a 2nd line C or LW)

Petry – Smid
    Hunwick/Gilbert – J Schultz
    N Schultz(upgrade)- Belov
    Klefbom
    (Then: trade Nick and 1-2 D prospects like Fedun and Simpson for a legitimate top 3 Dman – Nick needs to go while he has value and we cant afford to pay a #5 guy that money. Also – D by committee will have to do, so the bottom 3 D men need to be above league average for Oilers to have a chance next year)

Dubnyk
    Khudobin

33. bookje says:

Bob Mac Tweet “Sounds like EDM has something on the go with DAL to send Shawn Horcoff there.”

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 1m

Sounds like EDM has something on the go with DAL to send Shawn Horcoff there.

35. gd says:

MacArthur, Gordon, Emery, and Coburn are my RE of a good day tomorrow.

The Oilers are the perfect team for Coburn as he is slightly overpaid, but still would be our no 1 Dman at this point. I’ve got to think because he is overpaid, picks and prospects should do it. I love that his contract is over in three years, when hopefully Klefbom and Nurse are upper echelon dmen.

Clarkson really scares me. The career similarities with Malone are eerie. The Oilers don’t need to make the playoffs next year. They just need to show legit progress. This team is still set up to be elite in three years and we can’t have boat anchor contracts then.

36. hags9k says:

Wish I was an apple…

37. Romulus Apotheosis says:

bookje:

Nil is really working fast.

wonder what the return is?

38. Gret99zky says:

If we see Grabo clear waivers and then have to listen to, “The Oilers were in on him but fell just short” I am going to lose it.

He is a clear upgrade on what we have now and to let him clear waivers to bargain down a few hundred grand in inexcusable, IMO.

39. fifthcartel says:

Ahhhh!!!

40. dangilitis says:

And Clarkson is worth 2.5-3.5 million truly, unbiased opinion. This guy dropped off a cliff in the last 25 games of the season and the NJD fell out of contention. Sure one could argue he was instrumental in their early success, but the Oilers dont need another semi-motivated player, especially at the ridiculous salary listed. He would be the next Dustin Penner, mark my words, if he gets a contract more than 4 years.

41. striatic says:

Lowetide: The Oilers might get this guy.

they might, but i think it is unlikely.

i think it is more likely that Clarkson is taking his free agency seriously and doing a thorough investigation of all seriously interested teams.

oh, interesting – Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 3m
    Sounds like EDM has something on the go with DAL to send Shawn Horcoff there.

42. Romulus Apotheosis says:

tsn radio in Toronto is playing the Grabo call… priceless.

apparently he’s getting married tomorrow… I’d call that a high-stress situation…

Hey Honey, guess what… we’re moving!!

43. Derek says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Good god… someone tell this guy to stop analyzing:

Ryan RishaugVerified account
    ‏@TSNRyanRishaug
    Mcarthur doesn’t make sense to me with Oilers.Not a hard style player and inconsistent at that dollar.

I’m guessing the post title is about Ryan Rishaug because he reminds me a lot of Brick Tamland.

44. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bob McKenzieVerified account
    ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
    Horcoff is off to DAL. Believe it’s for a draft pick. TBA. Horcoff has a $5.5M cap hit but has 2 yrs remaining at $4M and $3M, respectively.

45. striatic says:

Horcoff is traded to the Stars

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 1m

46. striatic says:

frees up a hefty amount of space going into free agency to snag Clarkson.

47. PunjabiOil says:

LOL looks like my source was right re: Clarkson

48. Melman says:

LT – wouldn’t Horton be a better option than Clarkson?

49. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Curious if the Nil activity looked like a winner to Horcov… because Dal didn’t look like a contender last year…

either Horcov took what he could get, or he liked what he saw in that Bos-Dal trade… I wonder if this deal came together really fast after the Seguin trade?

50. Ribs says:

Man, great move for Horcov. Should get some decent ice time there.

51. PunjabiOil says:

Well since my guy was right about Clarkson, I wonder how much interest the Oilers have in Ference. They did meet up with him today.

Hopefully not more than 2.5M/year interest.

52. rooster_monkey says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

Bob McKenzieVerified account
    ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

Not sure how much I like this. Well, I guess it depends on which draft pick and what MacT does with the extra cap space. Horc wasn’t going to play here anymore anyway.

53. "Steve Smith" says:

Edmonton Oilers now with two NHL centres and counting (down).

Still, for all I love Horcoff, if we got a draft pick and didn’t keep any salary, this is a win. But it does increase the importance of getting some damned centres.

54. hags9k says:

I’m hoping for any of Filpulla, Gordon, MacArthur, Khudobin, and of course a trade for Hartnell.

I’m also happy with Gilbert, Ference, Coburn, for crying out loud almost ANY D man will help us.

If Hemsky is back I’ll deal with it too.

Good luck MacT!

Horc with the Stars just makes my stomach turn though. Not the Damn Stars…

55. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Darren DregerVerified account
    ‏@DarrenDreger
    Waiting for final details. @TSNBobMcKenzie, but told Horcoff to Dallas involves a few pieces.

Not Magnus… please!!!

56. steveb12344 says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Seguin?……..That would be bold.

For the record i’m not really into getting Tyler.

57. "Steve Smith" says:

steveb12344,

I think it’s implied that the pieces, at least some of them, are going the other way. Also, if Seguin’s involved, the headline isn’t “Horcoff traded to Stars”.

I’d say there’s a 0% chance that Seguin’s any of the pieces.

58. Lois Lowe says:

I wonder if one of those pieces ends up being Scott Glennie.

59. Romulus Apotheosis says:

These back to back tweets are a testament to carefully parsed language, or rather, the lack thereof:

Bob McKenzieVerified account
    ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
    Sounds like DAL and EDM still putting finishing touches on Horcoff deal and as @DarrenDreger reports, several piece

Bob McKenzieVerified account
    ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
    Sounds like DAL and EDM still finalizing Horcoff deal and as @DarrenDreger reports, more than one piece is involved.

60. Lucinius says:

Melman,

Horton won’t be signing here. He wants a non-hockey market.

Not sure if I like the ominous sound of ‘more pieces’. I have a feeling MacT is going get robbed.

61. rooster_monkey says:

Lois Lowe:
    I wonder if one of those pieces ends up being Scott Glennie.

or Jack Campbell?

62. Melman says:

Lucinius,

I don’t know why, but a player specifically wanting a non-hockey market seems like a bit of a red flag to me.

Maybe Connauton coming back with the pick…

63. prairieschooner says:

Someone ran a timeline in the previous thread and Grabovski is a complete jack ass
    Keep him away from tall towers and high powered rifles jack ass