The Edmonton Oilers have some walking around money, some clear and present needs and a General Manager looking to make some noise. THIS is going to be something.
- Top 4 defender (Braydon Coburn???)
- Sign Sam Gagner to a multi-year deal that has begins with a number in the 4′s
- Get Paajarvi signed and then find a role that suits him (suspect it’s 3line).
- NHL goalie
- Find a 2line L who can complement Gagner-Yakupov with puck retrieval, blocking out the sun, etc
- Find a 3line R
- Find a 3line C
- Find a 4line C
- Deal Hemsky for immediate help (even if its a checker).
- Deal Horcoff or slot him into the 3line job for which he is actually ideal.
- Decide on Lander/Belanger or other for 13F (and 14F if they go with 7D).
- Better blue depth (MacT has done this with Belov, plus Klefbom/Fedun/Marincin)
- AHL #1/NHL #3 goalie
- Sign Paul Ranger
We’ve been staring at this list for a few weeks now, with only small items (Belov signing, Klefbom endorsement) touching the outskirts of the re-work. I think that changes tomorrow.
- Top 4 defender: The Coburn deal is still apparently out there, and there are some new options (Gilbert Gilbert) available. The emergence of Klefbom as an organizational solution continued today, but we’re likely looking at the Swede starting in OKC this fall (as it stands now).
- Sign Sam Gagner to a multi-year deal that has begins with a number in the 4′s. Nothing so far, suspect this will be announced after the FA flurry now. Gagner is probably not in play but the deal isn’t signed and that’s something to keep in mind.
- Get Paajarvi signed and then find a role that suits him (suspect it’s 3line). I think it’s reasonable to assume he’s still in play–one of the reasons a team wouldn’t sign an RFA is so their new club can deal with the player. I still think he stays.
- NHL goalie. The names are getting less starter-y (sorry) with Ray Emery mentioned a few times today. Oilers clearly want a strong option, Khudobin would be my choice and Ryan Rishaug mentioned Jason LaBarbera this morning.
- Find a 2line L who can complement Gagner-Yakupov with puck retrieval, blocking out the sun, etc. This seems to be taking a turn in the last day or so, with RIGHT WING David Clarkson being mentioned as a strong option. I’m not certain who would play the off wing (Yakupov did not perform as well there) but I think the Oilers are in play as a Clarkson option. Viktor Stalberg remains a name of interest, and Clarke MacArthur will get some consideration.
- Find a 3line R: No names lately, aside from Clarkson and that contract means you’ll never be able to call him a 3line option.
- Find a 3line C: The Leafs went a little crazy today, most NHL teams are going to want a shot at Grabovski who arrives in free agency at an ideal time. A strong option if they choose.
- Find a 4line C. Oilers have Horcoff but he’s on the way out, leaving only Lander. I expect the club will cover themselves with a veteran who can play the depth role and penalty kill. Boyd Gordon would be a nice option for 3 or 4C.
- Deal Hemsky for immediate help (even if its a checker). That Ottawa deal doesn’t get mentioned anymore but seems possible.
- Deal Horcoff or slot him into the 3line job for which he is actually ideal. I still think they should bring him back for one more season. Put him in the 4line role, give Lander another year.
- Decide on Lander/Belanger or other for 13F (and 14F if they go with 7D). They offloaded Belanger today, so Lander probably makes the team.
- Better blue depth. MacT has done it already with Belov signing, plus his endorserment of Klefbom. Minor league solutions Taylor Fedun and Martin Marincin have also emerged from OKC, meaning depth may end up being a strength for this team.
- AHL #1/NHL #3 goalie: Nothing yet.
- Sign Paul Ranger: Nothing yet.
I believe Clarkson/MacArthur/Stalberg are in play, I think the Oilers probably have something on the burner with Philly for Braydon Coburn and Ray Emery could be an Oiler tomorrow.