This will very likely be the biggest day of free agent procurement in Oilers history. MacT has all day and an owner who is ready to take it to the limit.
Oilers have 16 men signed, $21M in walking around money and once they sign Gagner and Paajarvi those numbers probably go to 18 and $14M. That means the Edmonton Oilers have $14 million dollars (pinky finger at mouth) to spend on 5 guys.
- Taylor Hall 6M
- Jordan Eberle 6M
- Ales Hemsky 5M
- Sam Gagner 5M (est)
- RNH 3.775M
- Nail Yakupov 3.775M
- Ryan Smyth 2.25M
- Magnus Paajarvi 1.7M (est)
- Anton Lander 900k
- Mike Brown 737k
Oilers need a lot, including a 2line winger and a complete set of centermen, depending on the plan for Gagner. Nuge will be back at some point early in the season, but that’s a position badly in need of repair. Names we know are in play include David Clarkson and Clarke MacArthur among wingers, and really crickets for now about centermen. I’ll have some thoughts on that below.
- Justin Schultz 3.775M
- Ladislav Smid 3.5M
- Nick Schultz 3.5M
- Jeff Petry 1.75M
- Anton Belov 1.525M
- Philip Larsen 1.025M
- Corey Potter 775k
A full deck, and with Oscar Klefbom still pushing you could argue the Oilers are done (they have added two pieces to the puzzle). However, the names of potential blue coming in are abundant, suggesting someone may be heading out too. Braydon Coburn, Andrew Ference, Mike Komisarek and Paul Ranger have all been mentioned as possibles.
- Devan Dubnyk 3.5M
There are still players to offload (Hemsky, a defender) and of course plenty to add. I think the Oilers will be active in both free agent signings and in trades over the weekend and into next week. Let’s take one final look at the list.
- Top 4 defender
- Sign Sam Gagner to a multi-year deal that has begins with a number in the 4′s
- Get Paajarvi signed and then find a role that suits him (suspect it’s 3line).
- NHL goalie
- Find a 2line L who can complement Gagner-Yakupov with puck retrieval, blocking out the sun, etc
- Find a 3line R
- Find a 3line C
- Find a 4line C
- Deal Hemsky for immediate help (even if its a checker).
Deal Horcoff or slot him into the 3line job for which he is actually ideal.Continued to improve D depth. Decide on Lander/Belanger or other for 13F. Lander it is! Better blue depth(MacT has done this with Belov and Larsen, plus Klefbom/Fedun/Marincin)
- AHL #1/NHL #3 goalie
- Sign Paul Ranger
The things I have read/am hearing look like this:
- Strong possibility David Clarkson is an Oiler later today
- Strong possibility Andrew Ference is an Oiler later today
- Strong possibility Ales Hemsky ends up in Ottawa or Detroit, possibly this weekend
- Ilya Bryzgalov may sign with the Oilers.
- Mike Komisarek is a person of interest for the Oilers.
- The Oilers and Flyers may still have a deal to make.
- Clark MacArthur and Viktor Stalberg are players of note.
- I don’t have a single item to pass along about a specific center.
- I believe they might put in a waiver claim on Grabovski. Cost is so dear, but he’s a perfect fit.
My list of 15 for the Oilers is here and does include the names Clarkson, Bryzgalov, MacArthur and Stalberg. I do like the idea of grabbing Grabovski although the cap hit is insane. Why? Center goes from a weakness to a possible strength in a heartbeat–play this guy with skill and he’ll cover the bet. Interesting day, please remember the world won’t end when you find out they have overpaid Clarkson. I’m not going to be moderating the blog today so best behaviour please, and you’re all on the honor system (and that includes you, DSF–you’re wide open to start the day).
THE LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE
I’ll be starting my day at around 8:45 with Will Fraser on the morning show and then the LD/LT will hit at 10 on Team 1260. This is going to be a very fluid day so we’ll be adding/subtracting as things roll along. Scheduled to appear:
- Steve Lansky from Big Mouth Sports. We’ll talk about this crazy week and the day ahead.
- Scott Taylor from the Huddle dot co. Blue Bombers, CFL, Jets and free agency.
- Jason Gregor from the Jason Gregor Show. We’ll talk free agency, prospects, draft.
- Rob Soria from Oil Drop. Big day for the Oilers, Rob will help guide us through.
- Jungle Jim Hunter. We’ll talk about reasons why so many free agent contracts fail.
10-1260 for comments and questions, @Lowetide on twitter. Here we go!!!!!