LOUD NOISES 5: TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT

This will very likely be the biggest day of free agent procurement in Oilers history. MacT has all day and an owner who is ready to take it to the limit.

Oilers have 16 men signed, $21M in walking around money and once they sign Gagner and Paajarvi those numbers probably go to 18 and $14M. That means the Edmonton Oilers have $14 million dollars (pinky finger at mouth) to spend on 5 guys.

FORWARDS

1. Taylor Hall 6M
  2. Jordan Eberle 6M
  3. Ales Hemsky 5M
  4. Sam Gagner 5M (est)
  5. RNH 3.775M
  6. Nail Yakupov 3.775M
  7. Ryan Smyth 2.25M
  8. Magnus Paajarvi 1.7M (est)
  9. Anton Lander 900k
  10. Mike Brown 737k

Oilers need a lot, including a 2line winger and a complete set of centermen, depending on the plan for Gagner. Nuge will be back at some point early in the season, but that’s a position badly in need of repair. Names we know are in play include David Clarkson and Clarke MacArthur among wingers, and really crickets for now about centermen. I’ll have some thoughts on that below.

DEFENSE

1. Justin Schultz 3.775M
  2. Ladislav Smid 3.5M
  3. Nick Schultz 3.5M
  4. Jeff Petry 1.75M
  5. Anton Belov 1.525M
  6. Philip Larsen 1.025M
  7. Corey Potter 775k

A full deck, and with Oscar Klefbom still pushing you could argue the Oilers are done (they have added two pieces to the puzzle). However, the names of potential blue coming in are abundant, suggesting someone may be heading out too. Braydon Coburn, Andrew Ference, Mike Komisarek and Paul Ranger have all been mentioned as possibles.

GOAL

1. Devan Dubnyk 3.5M

There are still players to offload (Hemsky, a defender) and of course plenty to add. I think the Oilers will be active in both free agent signings and in trades over the weekend and into next week. Let’s take one final look at the list.

MACT’S LIST

1. Top 4 defender
  2. Sign Sam Gagner to a multi-year deal that has begins with a number in the 4′s
  3. Get Paajarvi signed and then find a role that suits him (suspect it’s 3line).
  4. NHL goalie
  5. Find a 2line L who can complement Gagner-Yakupov with puck retrieval, blocking out the sun, etc
  6. Find a 3line R
  7. Find a 3line C
  8. Find a 4line C
  9. Deal Hemsky for immediate help (even if its a checker).
  10. Deal Horcoff or slot him into the 3line job for which he is actually ideal. Continued to improve D depth.
  11. Decide on Lander/Belanger or other for 13F. Lander it is!
  12. Better blue depth (MacT has done this with Belov and Larsen, plus Klefbom/Fedun/Marincin)
  13. AHL #1/NHL #3 goalie
  14. Sign Paul Ranger

The things I have read/am hearing look like this:

1. Strong possibility David Clarkson is an Oiler later today
  2. Strong possibility Andrew Ference is an Oiler later today
  3. Strong possibility Ales Hemsky ends up in Ottawa or Detroit, possibly this weekend
  4. Ilya Bryzgalov may sign with the Oilers.
  5. Mike Komisarek is a person of interest for the Oilers.
  6. The Oilers and Flyers may still have a deal to make.
  7. Clark MacArthur and Viktor Stalberg are players of note.
  8. I don’t have a single item to pass along about a specific center.
  9. I believe they might put in a waiver claim on Grabovski. Cost is so dear, but he’s a perfect fit.

My list of 15 for the Oilers is here and does include the names Clarkson, Bryzgalov, MacArthur and Stalberg. I do like the idea of grabbing Grabovski although the cap hit is insane. Why? Center goes from a weakness to a possible strength in a heartbeat–play this guy with skill and he’ll cover the bet. Interesting day, please remember the world won’t end when you find out they have overpaid Clarkson. I’m not going to be moderating the blog today so best behaviour please, and you’re all on the honor system (and that includes you, DSF–you’re wide open to start the day).

THE LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

bladerunner

I’ll be starting my day at around 8:45 with Will Fraser on the morning show and then the LD/LT will hit at 10 on Team 1260. This is going to be a very fluid day so we’ll be adding/subtracting as things roll along. Scheduled to appear:

10-1260 for comments and questions, @Lowetide on twitter. Here we go!!!!!

258 Responses to "LOUD NOISES 5: TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT"

Newer Comments »
  1. SpotTheLoon says:

I’m looking forward to the frenzy. Let’s hope that we have a more balanced team later today and in the week ahead.

2. Mark-LW says:

NO TEACHER TODAY!!!!

3. Ca$h-Money! says:

Out of curiosity, if we don’t land one of the FA’s that have potential of being part of the long term solution, do we then look to shorter term (OLDER) options to fill gaps for 1 year, 2 max? I think it’s something to consider if the Grabbo/Gordon/MacArthur/Clarkson/Stallberg’s of the world opt to go elsewhere.

Matt Cullen for 1 year?
    Saku Koivu?

I don’t know the list of availables off by heart but it seems those options as short term plan B’s have some potential.

4. jonrmcleod says:

Stouffer did mention yesterday that Boyd Gordon could be an Oilers’ target.

5. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bladerunner.

Great film. Sci-Noir. It’s been tried since, but never so competently.

———

Cullen with a joke:

Scott CullenVerified account
    ‏@tsnscottcullen
    Remember, mistakes have been made in free agency, unlike other methods of player acquisition, so teams are best to not sign anyone, ever.

6. theres oil in virginia says:

Nashville was apparently in the hunt for Briere. I guess that answers what they’re position is on spending.

7. Ca$h-Money! says:

jonrmcleod,

I agree, and I would hope he is… but I’m thinking he’ll probably be a target of 10 teams. He’s the best pure defensive center available in the crop, and that should be obvious to every GM. Even if he’s a target there is a good chance we don’t land him.

All of these negotiations are hapening at the same time. If you bid high on everyone (over bid for the purpose of increasing your chance of winning) based on the expectation that you’ll end up winning half… and you end up winning all of the bids, you end up in cap hell.

8. DBO says:

My happy free agent day outcome
    - MacArthur on 4 yr deal for $3.5
    - Gordon on a 3 yr deal for $2
    - Khudobin on a 2 yr deal for 1.75
    - Grabovski on a 5 yr deal for around $3
    - Ference for 1 yr for $3
    - trade Hemsky for Stafford (3 RW)
    - trade Schultz sr for Coburn (Flyers have worse cap issues next year so they need to move someone who gets paid next year more then this year)

No cap busting whale hunting. No long term for anyone over 30

9. gcw_rocks says:

I don’t like Clarkson coming in a $6M unless the plan is to deal Eberle or Yakupov for a premium defender. Up and comers like Larsson or Hamilton., or someone in the 2012 PK Subban range.

Whale hunting Clarkson for any other reason is stupid.

Give me Grabo, MacArthur, Gordon, Khudobin, and maybe Gilbert in free agency. Add Kulikov and Bjugstad via trade and we are ready to party!

10. Marc says:

The Boston globe’s coverage of the seguin trade noted that the Bruins have now lost their top 4 RW from their playoff team. They are apparently looking at signing Alfredsson, but if that doesn’t work you have to think they’ll look at Hemsky.

And if they do get him, Ottawa may be more willing to deal.

MacT’s strategy of not dealing Hemsky until after the initial FA signing fury may pay off nicely.

11. khildahl says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Bladerunner.

Great film. Sci-Noir. It’s been tried since, but never so competently.

Dark City. Brilliant movie that nobody saw.

Darren DregerDarren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 50s
    Little doubt David Clarkson will get a 7 year term. Some gm’s think he will get $6 mil or higher per. #TSN
    Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

13. DBO says:

Marc,

Exactly. Hemsky will be dealt after the weekend once Alfie, Iginla and Clarkson all sign. Hemsky is the RW consolation prize.

14. khildahl says:

Darren DregerDarren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 50s
    Expand ReplyRetweetFavorite More

And that is the sound of every commenter here jumping off the Clarkson bandwagon at once.

15. Lucinius says:

I stay away from Clarkson at any price point over 5 million or more than 4 years. He’s not a good enough player to warrant either.

16. Henry says:

Let’s say the Oilers get Coburn for picks and prospects because the Flyers are boxed in on the cap.

If Grabovski is claimed by the Oilers to play 3C, they may want to keep Hemsky and go PVP with them and Paajarvi. Grabo needs skill guys.

Clarkson can beat up softer comp with the Nuge/Gagner and Yak.

There would be less need to deal Hemsky until the deadline.

17. RMGS says:

If MacT has the aces, has a standard contract amount set for a couple of them, and still needs to sign three more (not including 89), then why would he ever overpay massively for the complementary players he wants? Anything higher than $4 million for a .399PPG player (aka, Clarkson) is madness.

Number one need as of yesterday’s moves – centres:

Grabovski
    Filppula
    Gordon

Wingers:

Stallberg

Goal:

Emery/Khubodin

Swindle Holmgren for Cobourn, and trade Hemsky for value – or else keep him and run Grabovski-MPS-Hemsky on the fastest line in the NHL.

And BAM, Stanley Cup!

18. uni says:

khildahl,

Quite a few movies that got the atmosphere and cinematography right, including Dark City. Great movie, great cast, but I wouldn’t exactly call the plot brilliant since it’s pretty straightforward, but the whole film is executed almost flawlessly.

Rufus Sewell is stellar, and most recognize Keifer Sutherland, William Hurt, Jennifer Connelly. Too bad the movie came out at the same time as Matrix which pretty much stole everyone’s thunder although being an inferior movie in every way except for the action sequences.

19. Romulus Apotheosis says:

khildahl: Dark City.Brilliant movie that nobody saw.

Good call. I’ve got a copy and seen it a few times. Picked it up after Ebert wouldn’t stop raving about it (still miss that guy).

Other “Good” (your mileage may vary) sci-fi-noirs might be Brazil, 12 Monkeys, Alphaville, maybe even Total Recall (not a great film, but I really liked it). any more?

incidentally, Proyas’ other, much more famous film The Crow, is in the range.

ohh… and Kiss Me Deadly…

20. Магия¹º says:

khildahl,

#FAIL
    Let another GM make that unreadable contract.

21. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“Decide on Lander/Belanger or other for 13F (and 14F if they go with 7D).”

we can cross off Belanger on this list now.

apparently a lot of people are hunting Cs. we don’t even merit a top billing in the search:

Bob McKenzieVerified account
    ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
    Big-picture question of day: How will the market for centres play out. Lots of teams looking at lots of centres, what are best matches/fits?

Bob McKenzieVerified account
    ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
    C’s incl Bozak, Ribeiro, Grabovski, Weiss, Roy, Filppula, Lapierre, Cullen, Gordon. Teams looking: CGY, DET, NSH, PHX, STL, TB, TOR, WSH etc

curious to see if Belanger finds a home….

22. Ryan says:

Yesterday was inspiring… I didn’t think there was a snowball’s chance in … of trading Horcov without retaining salary (or eating another team’s bad contract in return). Now before anyone jumps on me for saying that, take a look at the list of good players on bad contracts that have been bought out recently…

That was like a free compliance buyout, so great work Mact! We even got a depth defenseman on a cheap contract to boot. Unreal!

Today’s going to be interesting for sure… Already feels kinda like Christmas eve when you were a little kid, doesn’t it (everyone)? So what is Mact getting us for Christmas?

23. khildahl says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Looper comes to mind.

24. khildahl says:

Магия¹º,

I don’t mind an overpay, but that kind of term is horrifying.

25. Ryan says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

That’s pretty funny if you think about it. We currently have one-armed Nuge on IR, Gagner (unsigned) who Mact’s gone on record about putting on the wing… then Lander.

Is there a team with a greater need for C than us? :)

26. Romulus Apotheosis says:

uni: Jennifer Connelly

You could have stopped right there… ever since Labyrinth my kid-self has known she is a thing, she’s been on the list.

27. DBO says:

Ryan,

Dallas? Nil is a wizard

28. uni says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

12 Monkeys was a near masterpiece. Absolutely loved it, and it pretty much shows that Brad Pitt is more than just a pretty face. Agreed on The Crow as well if you’re going for atmosphere, and Brazil was just creepy as hell. Terry Gilliam really hit his stride after Monty Python.

Total Recall was more action pulp but still enjoyable.

If you’re going by atmosphere and cinematography there’s only so many I can think of. Off the top of my head Solyaris (1972), Sunshine, Moon, Children of Men, City of Lost Children, The Fountain.

If you’re going for sci-fi in general there are quite a few, and I have a bunch on my bucket list to watch still.

Just wanted to throw in here somewhere that Clarkson does have value. I know we know that, but reading the thread it sounds like he is 6M headed to the trash immediately. There will be poor or dead seasons, history tells us that much. How many poor or dead seasons, that is the question.

30. Romulus Apotheosis says:

My thinking on this Clarkson deal has changed somewhat… the cash isn’t really the problem, it’s the term:

Darren DregerVerified account
    ‏@DarrenDreger

a big overpay for a 1 or 2 year deal would be fine. even a slight overpay on any deal more than 3 years is going to screw this team’s long term plans up.

31. uni says:

Romulus Apotheosis: ROMULUS APOTHEOSIS says:
    July 5, 2013 at 7:25 am
    uni: Jennifer Connelly
    You could have stopped right there… ever since Labyrinth my kid-self has known she is a thing she’s been on the list.

I try not to watch that movie anymore. I feel like a dirty old man every time I remember that she was 16 or something when it was made. I will admit to having watched Career Opportunities several times though, as well as having the DVD.

I took my girlfriend to Blade Runner and she loved it! Married her.

33. Магия¹º says:

That term is fine for RNH, Yak, Shultz. And Shultz will be hard to sign. Way too long at those dollars.

34. bookje says:

$7 million for 6 years would make the Khabibulin contract look good. Why is it so insane out there and why do the Oilers have no centers?

35. uni says:

LOWETIDE says:
    July 5, 2013 at 7:31 am
    I took my girlfriend to Blade Runner and she loved it! Married her.
      (Quote)  (Reply)

You’re both an extraordinarily intelligent and an exceptionally lucky man.

Used to watch that movie every New Years Eve for some reason. Never conceived of using it as a litmus before; I think I’ll view with a lady friend this weekend.

36. Romulus Apotheosis says:

uni:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

12 Monkeys was a near masterpiece.Absolutely loved it, and it pretty much shows that Brad Pitt is more than just a pretty face.Agreed on The Crow as well if you’re going for atmosphere, and Brazil was just creepy as hell.Terry Gilliam really hit his stride after Monty Python.

Total Recall was more action pulp but still enjoyable.

If you’re going by atmosphere and cinematography there’s only so many I can think of.Off the top of my head Solyaris (1972), Sunshine, Moon, Children of Men, City of Lost Children, The Fountain.

Good list… some of those might push the range of “sci-fi noir” though. City of Lost Children is a really good pick for that sub-genre. Children of Men fits. I haven’t seen Sunshine, Moon, or The Fountain.

Solaris is an interesting suggestion… not sure about its “noir” aspects… you’d have to push “mood” (feelings of alienation from the self, institutions, society, etc.) to make the connection I think… as for the cinematography, most Noirs rely on lighting city-scapes for their sense of foreboding… what do you think?

to non-cinephiles, sorry for derailing the thread somewhat.

37. DBO says:

Moon was solid.

38. bookje says:

The worst sci-fi movie that I really liked was Demolition Man. I am pretty sure it’s a horrible movie but I remember liking it.

Dark City was great in a good way.

39. Ice Sage says:

I took my girlfriend to Blade Runner and she loved it! Married her.

And somedays my wife seems like a replicant… but, does it matter?

Happy hunting, today, Mac-Decker.

40. Ca$h-Money! says:

bookje,

a great guilty pleasure. They can’t all win academy awards.

41. RMGS says:

2001: A Space Odyssey takes the prize. Kubrick!

42. uni says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Ah, wasn’t going for noir specifically, City of Lost Children only falls in under atmosphere and cinematography.

I agree mostly with your definition of noir and mood. If that’s what you’re looking for, Tarkovsky absolutely delivers with the feelings of alienation even in a brusque city, and the lighting is definitely well done in the station sequences. He did go overboard with the runtime though, no need for that 5 minute driving on the highway sequence, that alone would probably drop it out of any sort of discussion as noir.

Sunshine and Moon are very much closed movies, small cast and close quarters, psychological bent, both well executed. I’m sure you’ll enjoy them. The Fountain might fit better but is more of a subgenre.

43. uni says:

bookje,

Demolition man was highly enjoyable but not really sci-fi. I liked it, but don’t lose your head over it.

44. khildahl says:

bookje,

I’m pretty sure Demolition Man had a redeeming quality named Sandra Bullock.

45. Nicholas says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

Other “Good” (your mileage may vary) sci-fi-noirs might beBrazil, 12 Monkeys, Alphaville, maybe even Total Recall (not a great film, but I really liked it). any more?

I’ve always loved Strange Days as an underrated scifi movie.

46. Nyeoseok says:

Big deal. We can always just buy him out 4 years from now. That’s the new NHL, isn’t it?

47. Nyeoseok says:

48. FrankenOil says:

With Stauffer chattering about Bryzgalov and the Flyers needing a goalie, can we connect the dots that maybe (if Philly misses out on Emery) has a deal on the table from the Oilers of Coburn for Dubnyk? Bryzgalov fits more of what MacT wants: Goalie who is capable of playing 65 games a year.

49. uni says:

Nicholas,

Strange Days was just messed up. Good suggestion. I like the twist at the end where it’s not what you think it is though, and I always have a mental image of Juliet Lewis doing her best PJ Harvey impression whenever I think about it.

khildahl,

You and your dirty mind are just thinking of the awesome sex scene she has with Stallone. Very Barbarella – esque.

50. theres oil in virginia says:

FrankenOil:

Bryzgalov would be a good pickup, and he’s quite a character, but he’s a huge question mark as a starter.

51. Romulus Apotheosis says:

khildahl:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Looper comes to mind.

I got in a massive fight with the Finance about that flic (she hated it, I thought it was enjoyable but not great)… it’s of the genre though… not sure if it reaches the quality threshold.

uni: I try not to watch that movie anymore.

Ha. I think you are safe. It’s still a fun, silly movie for kids with a bonus of Bowie in a hilarious cod-piece jumpsuit. Aside from Bowie’s pants it’s not a sexual movie in anyway.

I took my girlfriend to Blade Runner and she loved it! Married her.

Good story.

took the finance to Black Dahlia on our first date. not a great film, but she’s going to marry me anyway! yippee!

getting a girl to watch movies with you is essential to a life of happiness. this is the limit of my wisdom.

52. FrankenOil says:

theres oil in virginia,

I’d say he is question mark to some degree, I wouldn’t say he is a huge question mark. He was an above average, almost elite, quality starting netminder as of 2 summers ago. Philly, like Detroit in the early 90′s, does weird things to goalies. I bet he would rebound in a big way here.

53. Lucinius says:

FrankenOil,

Relying on Bryzgalov to be your starter would be a monumentally poor decision. He can play a lot. We don’t need that. We need a goalie who can play well.

We have one that might fit that bill, just need another. Avoid Bryzgalov. Even for a goalie he’s weird and is extremely inconsistent and I doubt his attitude would do well here.

54. Rondo says:

Chemistry

I don’t like buying in high season

55. uni says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Lowetide:
    I took my girlfriend to Blade Runner and she loved it! Married her.
    Good story.

Romulus Apotheosis: For a young boy watching that film, it’s just the mystery of a pretty older girl who is the protagonist that draws your attention. not creepy.

That’s just it, for a young boy watching that film that works. I’m more concerned about what a 30 year old man watching that movie will take out of it….

56. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lucinius:
    FrankenOil,

Let me echo this. We need a younger, up-and-comer from the Bishop family. Someone to play 20-25 games and push DD and who will retain value if we need to flip one of our 1A/1B Gs down the road.

Khodobin is perfect, with Emery and Labarbera as consolation prizes. Probably cheaper too.

57. theres oil in virginia says:

FrankenOil:
    theres oil in virginia,

Okay, fair enough, but I think it’s fairly obvious that his numbers were good in Phoenix due in large part to the defensive system, etc. Lots were predicting a fall when he signed in Philly, and that’s what happened. However big a question mark he is, it’s taking a step back to go from Dubnyk as the #1 to Bryzgalov. The Oilers need another goalie, and they really can’t afford to trade any away…unless they’re just tired of goalies and centers! ;)

58. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Pierre LeBrunVerified account
    ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
    Mikhail Grabovski’s agent says his client only wants to play in the NHL. Says the KHL not an option at the moment

shoot down one possibility. any idea when his waiver expires? need to push hard on this.

59. uni says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Agreed, Grabovski and MacArthur are tops on my wish list for forward. Both can score, and both can play the toughs. Hopefully both also cost sub 5 million on sub 5 year contracts, and they like Edmonton.

60. Romulus Apotheosis says:

uni: Hmm…if the first movie you take a girl to see is Wall-E, is there hope for a relationship?

Great film actually. Good easy choice for a date. The not-so-subtle critique of modern society — abject laziness — is both funny and astute.

But if she’ll only watch lighter fare with you and you are a cinephile… I hope you don’t mind watching a lot of flic on your own.

I’m one of those guys that watches enough movies that I end up going to the theatre on my own and thoroughly enjoy it, but it’s not for everyone.

uni:
    That’s just it, for a young boy watching that film that works.I’m more concerned about what a 30 year old man watching that movie will take out of it….

stay away from Requiem for a Dream. She will be tainted for you forever.

61. Jon K says:

Bladerunner, sci-fi noir, Jennifer Connelly? This thread is already my favorite of the year and the day has just begun. Now to begin frantically writing down everyone’s movie suggestions.

62. Undisclosed_Personal_Reasons says:

Scuderi.

Make it so.

63. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 10m
    Another interesting angle: will there be offer sheets on RFAs. With cap going down, inability to hide $ in minors, teams may be vulnerable.
    Details

Darren DregerVerified account
    ‏@DarrenDreger
    @TSNBobMcKenzie. Already talk of offer sheets among teams with space. Pietrangelo, Bogosian, Little, Bailey, Henrique, Hamonic…

64. goldenchild says:

Heres what i dont get in the Clarkson thing (besides the fact that both the dollars and term are insane for a player with his track record), in a best case scenerio he is your 4th best winger for the next year or so, any longer than that I cant see him that high on your depth chart. Why wouldnt you allocate those big dollars and term on a position of need instead like C or D? If your going to overpay do it for Filpula or Grabo or for an overpriced D that team is looking to unload.

I am deathly afraid of what today may bring and if its Clarkson for 7 years at 6 per my opinion of MacT will dramatically decrease. The one year he scored 30 his season is an outlier in almost every way especially shooting percentage, so paying a premium for that outlying year times 7 is going to end up worse than the Khabby or Souray deals and much worse than the Horcoff deal the media killed the last 4 years, yet they will all aplaud this one.
    I’d love Grabo but it looks like they have no interest which is baffling to me, but in any case come back with McCarthur, Gordon, Stalburg and thats a solid day, bring back Grabo or Filpula and its a fantastic day. 7 years of overpay for Clarkson and I just dont know where that leads, usually 1 big mistake leads to a series of them.

65. Romulus Apotheosis says:

TSN radio Toronto… Button is saying Toronto will try to sign Weiss if they can’t get Bozak.

don’t they need more than one Centre?

Bozak/Weiss
    ???
    Bolland
    McClement

I guess the question is whether they think Kadri is ready to play C and which line and how comfortable they are with Bolland as a 2nd line C. Not sure if Bozak/Weiss fits the bill of first line C either.

66. theres oil in virginia says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    any idea when his waiver expires?

Wiki-ality: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waivers_(NHL)#Unconditional_waivers

Unconditional waivers

A third type of waivers, unconditional waivers, applies when a player is to be given an unconditional release from his contract. NHL teams give notice to the player and the league that they intend to buy-out a player’s rights under the terms of the CBA. In this case, the waiver period is 48 hours. These waivers can only be requested during two periods:
    Between June 15, or 48 hours after the conclusion of the Stanley Cup Final series if it ends later, and June 30 of each year.
    If a club has team- or player-elected salary arbitration cases, within 48 hours of the last arbitration award or settlement of the last arbtration case prior to the arbitration hearing.
    Such a player must have been on a club’s 90-player reserve list at the previous trade deadline.

67. uni says:

Romulus Apotheosis: It’s such a tame movie, you are safe. it’s just a pretty girl. there’s no love interest or revealing clothing or anything.
    stay away from Requiem for a Dream. She will be tainted for you forever.

Too late, already seen it, and Mulholland Drive. Also I’m a creepy guy so I thought she was rather attractive in Labyrinth.

I’d watch just about any movie with David Bowie in it though. His performance was the best in its type, Sting gets an nod as well for Dune. Flight of the Conchords do a wicked Bowie impression.

68. Romulus Apotheosis says:

theres oil in virginia,

Does that mean he can be picked up until some time tomorrow? and can’t be signed to a new deal until after it expires?

69. RMGS says:

The Kaptain AND Hamilton! An even better deal.

70. gcw_rocks says:

RMGS,

lNumber one need as of yesterday’s moves – centres:
    Grabovski
    Filppula
    Gordon
    Wingers:
    Stallberg
    Goal:
    Emery/Khubodin

And BAM, Stanley Cup!

Add MacArthur, recognize you need to dump Hemsky because of the cap with all the others coming in and you are getting there.

71. uni says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

This makes the Grabovski buyout this summer even more confusing. He’s superior in almost every way to Bozak. No reason not to hold onto Grabbo for 1 more season and make a decision next summer. Go after Weiss hard and kick Bozak to the curb if he keeps up his near 5 million for 8 years demand.

72. Romulus Apotheosis says:

uni,

Basquiat. Bowie does a great turn as Warhol. Man Who Fell to Earth. another weird sci-fi (not a noir).

73. theres oil in virginia says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    theres oil in virginia,

It would seem so, but those are apparently the rules from the last CBA (2005), and they may have changed them for this compliance buyout. (Although they still call it “unconditional waivers”.) I’m checking to see if there’s another source with more info. Where’s McCurdy when you need him!?

74. Lucinius says:

uni,

No, what’s more confusing is the number of fans that think the Grabovksi buyout was a GOOD idea. Baffling. Not a great contract, sure.. but buying out your best center!?

75. theres oil in virginia says:

A little more info on buyouts from capgeek: http://www.capgeek.com/new-cba/

BUYOUTS
    During the ordinary course buyout periods in June 2013 and June 2014, teams will be permitted two compliance buyouts. Compliance buyouts follow the same formula as ordinary-course buyouts — either 1/3 or 2/3 of actual salary depending on age — but do not count against the cap. In 2013, the buyout period begins 48 hours after the Stanley Cup Final ends and concludes on July 4 at 5 p.m.
    The NHL allowed teams to execute one of their two compliance buyout options prior to the 2012-13 season on players with cap hits of more than $3 million. Two teams exercised the accelerated compliance buyout option: the Montreal Canadiens on Scott Gomez and the New York Rangers on Wade Redden. The players received full pay and counted at their full cap hit for 2012-13, after which the compliance buyout payments kick in. NOTE: The $3 million minimum applied only to accelerated compliance buyouts and does not apply to normal compliance buyouts.
    For one season following a compliance buyout, the player is prohibited from rejoining the team that bought him out.

76. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Darren DregerVerified account
    ‏@DarrenDreger
    I firmly believe Alfredsson is leaving Ottawa. I believe Sens are aware of this. I also believe Detroit is the frontrunner. #TSN

another captain goes down?

77. uni says:

Lucinius,

Most fans, even the ones that post on TSN, seem to abhor the buyout and have sided with Grabovski on his little expletive laced tirade.

When TSN posters overwhelmingly support a player I also like, I tend to get nervous.

78. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Does anyone know if Eakins ever ran Kadri as a Centre with the Marlies? Has he had any pro time as a Centre?

79. pboy says:

Geez, it will be weird to see Alffy in another jersey. Kinda like Emmitt Smith in a Cardinals jersey or Ray Bourque in that terrible Ave’s jersey.

I hope MacT doesn’t lose his senses over Clarkson today. He would be a nice fit on the team (especially if he can play LW) but not for 6 million a year and not for a term longer than 5 years. Hopefully, Nonis goes all out for Clarkson and he’s a Leaf at noon. Good player but this is the kind of contract that a GM will regret at some point.

Grabovski, Gordon, MacArthur, Ference and Gilbert. Jason Lababera would be my choice for Back-up.

80. goldenchild says:

Tyler Dellow has killed it on his blog and twitter on the horcoff treatment, the MSM should be embarassed but of course nothing embarasses the Spectors of the world.

81. jonrmcleod says:

Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger

82. theres oil in virginia says:

Alright, here it is from the CBA downloadable from capgeek: http://www.nhlpa.com/inside-nhlpa/collective-bargaining-agreement

13.18 The request for Regular and Unconditional Waivers to Central Registry will be processed every day at 12:00 noon New York time. All Waivers will be subject to a 24 hour period during which a Waiver claim must be made (the “Waiver Period”), with such Waiver Period expiring at 12:00 noon New York time on the following day.

So, noon EDT today.

83. uni says:

pboy,

I like your list sans Ference. He’s declined, and didn’t do well in Boston this year. I know he had minutes in the playoffs, but he’s on the wrong side of 34 and defencemen rarely bounce back once they start declining at that age.

84. bookje says:

Rondo:
    Chemistry

I don’t like buying in high season

Me too, I always end up with bags and bags of Doritos!

85. spoiler says:

Bohologo:
    If we are going to talk about Blade Runner, can we all decide it’s the Director’s Cut we are talking about?

Because it’s a completely different movie than the original release, and much closer to Ridley Scott’s intent.

Now that I think about it, Brazil suffered from a similar fate, and getting the right version is key. No happy endings.

This. The voice over ruins the ambiguity of Deckard possibly being a replicant himself. Neither Harrison Ford nor the studio knew that he was in the movie because of his wooden, self-conscious acting.

Anyone who thinks noir has to with lighting hasn’t seen Chinatown.

Solyaris is without a doubt noir. And effing brilliant. Clooney fails the Soderberg version.

Some biggies missing from the list like Alien and Terminator.

86. JAG-041 says:

I’ve heard Clarkson has been spotted around town…

87. franksterra says:

A two-faced post:

Re: noir.

Not sci-fi noir, but “sun drenched noir”, as only Raymond Chandler and Marlowe could do: Robert Altman’s The Long Goodbye with Gould (dry as dust) and Stirling Hayden (weird as hell). LA 70′s weird distilled beautifully, the end of 60′s party, the cynicism and driftyness.

Hockey:

Hall Nuge Ebs
    NcArthur Gags Yak
    MPS Filpulla XX
    Smyth Z. Smith Brown
    Smithson/Arco/Lander

Smid Petry
    JS Coburn
    Belov Hunwick
    Potter/Larsen

DD
    Khubodin

88. RMGS says:

So, Curtis Hamilton was wrongly listed as part of the Horcof trade on the Oilers’ site. Jumping the gun?

“@JonathanWillis: Sounds like the Oilers’ website goofed on the report; Hamilton not actually involved.”

89. franksterra says:

Agreed on noir v light Spolier, see Long Goodbye along with Chinatown

90. Магия¹º says:

That’s got to do wonders for the ego. Oilers press release threw in Hamilton. Stars press release declined.

91. HugThePost says:

The collective effect of a group of NHL players, none of which of superstars, and at a reasonable price would be better than signing Clarkson to some ridiculous inflated contract. He is a good player and would be good for us but not at a crazy cost/ term. We just got rid of our ball and chain contract, we don’t need another.

I like names like Gordon, Weiss, Hunwick, Grabo, Smith. Even Coburn if he comes cheap. Perhaps Ference would like to come home to play out his career. He is battle-proven and could be our next Staios (the good version).

Good bye Horcoff. He was a good player here and a good captain. He shouldn’t be blamed for being offered a ridiculous contract. My best memory of him is when he blocked that shot in Detroit 2006 with his face.

92. uni says:

If it’s enjoyable to me I’m happy with it.

93. Lucinius says:

uni,

The comments on the TSN articles for Grabovski are largely positive towards the player (which is weird — that place is usually a den of vile ignorance and rank stupidity), and yet the poll on their main page has a slightly majority for the buyout being a good thing for the Leafs.

Wonder how the votes break down on a # of votes per person on each of the two answers.

94. Jon K says:

Also, I fully endorse the comments of others above regarding Bladerunner and the final director’s cut. It’s incredible. You really get a sense for Scott’s vision of the movie. For anyone who liked the original but never the director’s cut, you MUST see it.

95. Lucinius says:

Man… Alfie on the Wings.. that’s gotta be disconcerting of Sens fans, especially with the Wings moving to the Eastern conference next season; they’ll get to watch him play against the Sens a few times.

96. RMGS says:

gcw_rocks:
    RMGS,

Yeah, MacArthur on LW is a good bet, especially with Grabovski pivoting. Agreed about Hemsky, but then there’s a shortage of value contract two-way RWs. Who’s available via UFA or trade?

97. Магия¹º says:

HugThePost: Good bye Horcoff. He was a good player here and a good captain. He shouldn’t be blamed for being offered a ridiculous contract.

Hello Clarkson. He shouldn’t be blamed for being offered a ridiculous contract.

By some one else please. The next collective agreement and magic buyout dayz are too far away.

98. stevezie says:

There are enough legitimate concerns about Grabovski being a cancer that I will understand if, after some due dilligence, the Oil deide to pass on him, but boy would that waiver pickup solve the centre position in one easy move.

There are a lot of 2nd/3rd pairing D-men out there one waivers or UFA. It’s a real shame that what we need is the top end. This would be an easy year to pick up depth (Hunwick, Blum and the like.)

99. Jordan says:

Darren DregerDarren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 50s
    Expand ReplyRetweetFavorite More

Wow, that’s sick. Hope the Oilers pull the ‘chute well before 20 over 4. 42 over 7 for a guy with his numbers is like betting on DiPietro to be a healthy NHL #1.

That’s really sad, now that I think about it…

100. Магия¹º says:

Lucinius,

They’d be happy to see Alfie lose a Game 7 in their arena.

101. jake70 says:

BR – great film.

Roy Batty: I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

From wiki…original lines…:
    “I’ve known adventures, seen places you people will never see, I’ve been Offworld and back… frontiers! I’ve stood on the back deck of a blinker bound for the Plutition Camps with sweat in my eyes watching the stars fight on the shoulder of Orion…I’ve felt wind in my hair, riding test boats off the black galaxies and seen an attack fleet burn like a match and disappear. I’ve seen it, felt it…!”"

Hauer described this as “opera talk” and “hi-tech speech” with no bearing on the rest of the film, so he “put a knife in it” the night before filming, without Scott’s knowledge.[7] In interview with Dan Jolin, Hauer said that these final lines showed that Batty wanted to “make his mark on existence … the robot in the final scene, by dying, shows Deckard what a real man is made of.”[8]
    When Hauer performed the scene, the film crew applauded and some even cried. This was due to the power of the dying speech coming at the end of an exhausting shoot.[9]
    Score

Rutger Hauer in The Hitcher still creeps me out.

102. hags9k says:

franksterra,

I really like that lineup. Maybe MPS to right wing and Clowe as the XX?

Bring on the BOLD.

As much as I like Clarkson, I think he’s a third liner. Can’t give him that kind of coin.

103. Магия¹º says:

I could imagine an analytics-based argument for 7 years of a few NHL players. Anyone out there care to offer numbers that suggest the upside is big enough and the risk of 3-5 seasons below $6M of value is small enough?

104. bookje says:

I bet we see something totally out of left field by MacT – something that we are not anticipating at all – something that reminds us that Twitter doesn’t know everything.

105. madas says:

As much as I was one of thse people that hated the Horcoff contract I will miss him.

I will never forget watching Horcoff block a shot with his face in the dying minutes of a first round game against Detroit. I remember watching MacT run out to check if he was ok. That was the moment that I became an Oilers fan. Pretty powerful moment.

Hopefully he doesn’t destroy us in the first round though.

106. jonrmcleod says:

adam cook ‏@adamcookCTV 4m
    Hearing the Oilers will sign G Jason Labarbera. #oilers

107. BlacqueJacque says:

bookje,

Failure? Anton Lander as 3C and Josn Green as 4?

108. bookje says:

jonrmcleod: Jason Labarbera

That would be great. I think it would demonstrate that MacT doesn’t wait around to see if his #1 choice (Emery) choo choo chooses him, but realizes that he is probably on the outside of that deal and shifts to the next opportunity before everyone has gone home from the dance.

109. hags9k says:

BOLDafinelineDUMB

LaBarbera signed via Adam Cook at CTV. I like that signing

111. spoiler says:

franksterra: Agreed on noir v light Spolier, see Long Goodbye along with Chinatown

The Long Good-bye is wonderful, been years since I’ve seen it though and now I’m sad… I like almost all of Altman’s stuff. I probably haven’t seen The Player for 10-15 years have to watch that one again too, if only for the opening shot.

uni: Alien and Terminator? If that’s the criteria we might as well toss in Minority Report.Personally I don’t really pay much attention to hard classing something into a genre or category.If it’s enjoyable to me I’m happy with it.

Alien and Terminator aren’t the criteria, noir is the criteria. These are two noir movies.

MInority Report is without a doubt a noir movie and may be the “most noir” of all the sci-fi movies mentioned this morning. That’s not to say it is a good movie; it is certainly flawed. But it is the most noir because it explicitly involves the act of watching and how that watching makes things go bad for the characters (almost all the characters, including the watcher).

112. Магия¹º says:

madas: Hopefully he doesn’t destroy us in the first round though

Oil need to finish 2nd or 3rd in division to avoid Horcoff doing that Stars thing.

113. spoiler says:

114. hags9k says:

Hemsky to Ott obviously now looking more likely…

115. Gret99zky says:

Dead Man (Johnny Depp) 1995

Not the fastest moving film ever made but a hidden gem IMO.

Neil Young did the soundtrack.

Check it out.

116. Ice Sage says:

spoiler: Excellent signing for backup. Although I would have preferred Khudobin, LaBarbra brings less Chaos.

And more vet backup experience. The board is set, pieces are moving…

117. Cameron says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Bladerunner.

Great film. Sci-Noir. It’s been tried since, but never so competently.

Still sits #1 on my all-time favourite movie list.

‘I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe….’

One of the greatest movie speeches ever, was improvised by Rutger Hauer the day of the shoot.

118. Ice Sage says:

No one wrings the last drops out of grizzled Euro vets like the Red Wings.

119. Ca$h-Money! says:

hags9k,

or Boston. Boston was said to be going hard for Alfie.

If Boston doesn’t get Clarkson, Hemsky to Boston along with a pick/prospect for one of their non-Chara defencemen: Boychuck/Seidenberg.

120. Магия¹º says:

jonrmcleod:
    adam cook ‏@adamcookCTV 4m
    Hearing the Oilers will sign G Jason Labarbera. #oilers

2009-10 Phoenix Coyotes 17 2.13 8 5 1 0.928
    2010-11 Phoenix Coyotes 17 3.26 7 6 3 0.909
    2011-12 Phoenix Coyotes 19 2.54 3 9 3 0.911
    2012-13 Phoenix Coyotes 15 2.64 4 6 2 0.923

121. wordbird says:

Gret99zky:
    Dead Man (Johnny Depp) 1995

Not the fastest moving film ever made but a hidden gem IMO.

Neil Young did the soundtrack.

Check it out.

Amen. One of the best soundtracks EVER, IMHO. Neil and his guitar in his barn, and a TON of reverb. Great movie, too, Jim Jarmusch is a fantastic director (Dead Man, Ghost Dog, Broken Flowers…)

122. bookje says:

Speaking of Neil Young and movies, in 1982 he directed a movie called Human Highway which starred Devo. It was very confusing.

123. bookje says:

Labarbera fits the role of ‘supporting’ Dubnyk, but also ‘challenging’ him. He can also step in full time if Dubnyk gets a pubis thing or something of the sort.

124. Romulus Apotheosis says:

spoiler: Anyone who thinks noir has to with lighting hasn’t seen Chinatown.

To say that lighting isn’t crucial to Noir is straight-up crazy.

ftp://cypherpunks.com.ar/apuntes/Painting%20With%20Light.pdf

Chinatown… lots of Noir lighting:

Gittes’ physical appearance, at the beginning and throughout the course of the film, runs parallel to that of Chinatown’s 1930′s L.A. Both are visually appealing on the surface. Southern California’s weather is bright and sunny, the people are all as well-groomed as Gittes, and the general look of things in the early scenes of the film is clean and colorful. But, as with Gittes, all of L.A.’s dirt is beneath the surface, corrupting the city from within. This hidden ugliness seeping out into the city from its core is represented by a gradual shift of the visual representations of both the scenery and of Gittes himself. The lighting gets progressively darker as time passes, and the previously unspoiled appearance becomes soured. When Gittes’s nose gets sliced by the Roman Polanski character, ruining his pristine and unlined face, it is almost simultaneous with the ruining of the “face” of L.A.; the same connection can be made of the “flaw” in Evelyn Mulwray’s eye, which Jake discovers while alone with her in her stylish mansion.

125. Pajamah says:

bookje:
    Labarbera fits the role of ‘supporting’ Dubnyk, but also ‘challenging’ him.He can also step in full timeif Dubnyk gets a pubis thing or something of the sort.

Hehehehe, pubis!

126. Магия¹º says:

bookje,

For a great communicator MacT made the need for a challenger more dramatic that it needed to be.

127. Smarmy says:

I just can’t see them signing Clarkson to a Taylor Hall contract. If you want to take on a big contract then take Grabovski so you actually have some good centermen.

128. Romulus Apotheosis says:

franksterra: The Long Goodbye

One of Altman’s best. “That’s alright with me”

——-
    Loving Labarbera (depending on the terms).

129. striatic says:

i really don’t want Andrew Ferrence but if the term is something like 2 years i’ll be ok with it even if it is an overpay.

130. lazerguidedmelody says:

Just back from work. Sun’s out, beer’s cool and Team 1260 streaming. Should be a fun evening (my time).

131. FrankenOil says:

Well, with Labarbera’s time with Brygalov, I think Dubie is really on the block. Re-creating the Coyotes 2010/2011 tandem wouldn’t exactly be a terrible thing.

132. Магия¹º says:

Matt ‏@mtoggel @mc79hockey do oilers fans that want clarkson know that horcoff has outscored him in the last 5 years. Also that Gagner weighs more than him

Horcoff’s contract is dead. Long live the Clarkson contract.

(Optimism heading for reality, alright)

133. Lucinius says:

Emery in Philly shortly, apparently. Explains Labarbera.

134. uni says:

spoiler,

All players clear waivers.

No one grabbed Grabbo.

136. Ribs says:

Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris 2m
    Mikhail Grabovski cleared waivers and will become a free agent after compliance buyout by the #leafs

So much for that idea…

137. rooster_monkey says:

Uhm… so apparently Grabovski cleared waivers. Unless MacT has something else good coming, I’m going to give a good ‘ol WTF.

If i were to give the OIlers the benefit of the doubt, maybe character issues were a bigger deal than first thought?

138. Магия¹º says:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenlze
    Edmonton Oilers signs Andrew Ference.

139. spoiler says:

Romulus Apotheosis: To say that lighting isn’t crucial to Noir is straight-up crazy.ftp://cypherpunks.com.ar/apuntes/Painting%20With%20Light.pdfhttp://www.celtoslavica.de/chiaroscuro/dop/alton.htmlhttp://ubuntuone.com/0eij9pdtWkxT2y7P7xpASDChinatown… lots of Noir lighting:http://www.fredonia.edu/department/english/shokoff/Chinatown.htmbut sure, it’s a Neo-Noir and if you follow Schrader, Silver, Muller and others Noir, properly speaking is more a “period of film” than a genre.

Nope. Missed the boat with that one, Rom. If you think about it long enough, you will realize that the definition of noir requires no reference to lighting. Not to mention in Chinatown, this writer is seriously stretching the notion that the film gets progressively darker. There are plenty of alternating light and dark scenes. The night scene where Gittes is cut by Polanski is early in the movie.

Nor have you addressed The Long Goodbye.

Lighting can be used as a metaphor in noir–and certainly has been–but like any metaphor, it’s just a crayon in the box…pick any colour you like. Don’t confuse what became a hackneyed conceit with the genre itself.

So, as you can see, it is your assertion that is “straight -up crazy”.

140. Ribs says:

Tracy Lane ‏@TreenasOil Protected account 1m
    Oilers sign labarbara as per Garfield

I like it.

141. striatic says:

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 7s
    Clarkson will NOT be coming to Edmonton

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 3m
    My guess is the Oilers land Andrew Ference on minimum 3 year deal…

good news, bad news.

142. Ribs says:

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 1m
    Clarkson will NOT be coming to Edmonton

Pretty definitive.

143. RMGS says:

Clarkson not going to Edmonton! Hooray!

144. Ribs says:

Sign Ference? The collective groan of Oilers fans may be audible in Red Deer.

145. bookje says:

Магия¹º:
    bookje,

I think that may have been intentional. MacT really wants Dubnyk to shave his sideburns. I believe that he is the #1 guy that MacT is talking about when he says that their are players on the team who don’t understand the level of dedication that it takes to get to the next level.

146. Магия¹º says:

Ribs,

Other team’s GM that go long and high? God Bless em everyone.

mc79hockey ‏@mc79hockey EXPLOSION OF HAPPY. RT @Bob_Stauffer Clarkson will NOT be coming to Edmonton

147. Bag of Pucks says:

One of things I’m hoping for today is that if the team does sign Clarkson, the knives don’t immediately come out from the fanbase over the contract size/term. If they do, we’re simply repeating the behavior associated with the Horcoff deal.

Contracts for FAs are almost always overpays! But that’s to be expected when it’s your one opportunity in the marketplace to buy exactly what you need – and particularly so this year with fairly slim pickings to choose from.

This team NEEDS top 6 size and skill to make players like Gagner, Eberle and RNH better. Clarkson fills a HUGE NEED.

Do you want this team to be significantly better? If so, let’s get onboard with the players that are acquired and view them in the light of “do they make this team better today” as opposed to putting on our armchair GM hats and nitpicking the contract particulars. Today is a day for spending like a drunken sailor. Might as well enjoy it.

Personally, I’m hoping for ‘Filppula, Gordon, Ference, Clarkson and Coburn.

148. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 2m
    Clarkson will NOT be coming to Edmonton
    Details

mc79hockey
    ‏@mc79hockey
    EXPLOSION OF HAPPY. RT @Bob_Stauffer Clarkson will NOT be coming to Edmonton

149. Ribs says:

Tracy Lane ‏@TreenasOil Protected account 1m
    Oilers working on a trade with senators as per Garfield

Seeya, Hemsky.

150. bookje says:

Магия¹º: Andrew Ference

Is there a rule that every new player on the Oilers must be under 6 feet and less than 190 lbs?

I thought we were looking for Coke Machines, no?

151. russ99 says:

Love the Ference signing, very similar to the Roszival signing for the Hawks last year. Hope the term and salary isn’t too awful.

Gotta wonder if this means Schultz the elder is on the block…

152. RMGS says:

Ference an Oiler.

Edit: 3.25M x 4

153. Магия¹º says:

russ99: I hope Toronto vastly overspends on Clarkson, they seem to be our biggest rivals for a bunch of FAs.

Hoping the Quinn/Burke/Tambellini tree guy in Toronto goes long and high on Clarkson and we sign his cast off on way better terms.

2-3 on AF would have been enough risk

Darcy McLeod ‏@Woodguy55
    @mc79hockey Worst RelCor on BOS D last 2 years playing 3rd pairing. Bleeds vs the sisters of the poor. Bah.

154. striatic says:

Ference for at least 3 years.

yuck.

155. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ference 4 years 3+M

craps.

156. bookje says:

Магия¹º:
    Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenlze
    Edmonton Oilers signs Andrew Ference.

That’s not Bob McKenzie’s account – nothing on his account regarding this right now.

Edit – NOW there is something – 4 years 3.25 per year.

157. Ribs says:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 1m
    EDM signs Andrew Ference to 4 year, $3.25M AAV.

Good god. 4 years??

158. striatic says:

terrible, terrible, terrible.

159. Lucinius says:

Ugh. 3.2 mil x 4 years for Ference.

MaGuire likes the deal.

But so does Ferraro.

160. striatic says:

bookje: That’s not Bob McKenzie’s account

yes it is his account.

161. fuzzy muppet says:

The Ference Signing is exactly what MacTavish said he WASN’T looking for. 4 years at 34 yrs of age….yikes.

162. Lucinius says:

I’m not fond of the Ference signing.. but I understand it. I think its a year too long and about a quarter of a million too high.

163. striatic says:

4 years for a 34 year old sub 6 foot Defenseman with bad Corsi stats.

terrible.

Ference is a terrible signing.

Not happy.

Worst RelCor among BOS D last 2 years playing 3rd pairing.

4 years for a 34 year old Dman who is in steep decline.

Awful.

165. Ribs says:

Tracy Lane ‏@TreenasOil Protected account 1m
    Oilers have also talked to Nystrom as per Garfield

Better and better *facepalm*

166. RMGS says:

Lucinius:

At least. This isn’t flattering and will only worsen past 34 years of age:

167. russ99 says:

Магия¹º,

Pretty hard to get positive RelCorsi when you’re a stay at home defenseman with 13 points and +9.

168. bookje says:

Interesting article on Ference from a Bruins fan.

Summary – Ference has loads of good character

169. Ribs says:

Lucinius: I’m not fond of the Ference signing.. but I understand it

Maybe you can help us all out and let us in on the secret?

170. Магия¹º says:

bookje: ob McKenzie’s account – nothing on his account regarding this right now.

171. Ribs says:

Tracy Lane ‏@TreenasOil Protected account 2m
    Oilers have also had conversations with Lapierre as per Garfield

172. russ99 says:

Ain’t all about the numbers.

With potentially two puck-moving kids on the roster, we need guys like him.

173. Магия¹º says:

bookje,

Unflappable?
    On the chart intangibles?

174. bookje says:

Woodguy:
    Ference is a terrible signing.

Not happy.

Worst RelCor among BOS D last 2 years playing 3rd pairing.

4 years for a 34 year old Dman who is in steep decline.

Awful.

Maybe its time for you to dig out your Steve Tambellini Fan Club pin again?

175. Pajamah says:

I personally like the Ference signing. More term and dollar than needed, but you overpay for UFA’s

Well like the signing for the first 2 years, after 4, who knows

It is not a Khabibulin deal

176. Bag of Pucks says:

Who cares? It’s Katz’ money.

A hometown boy brings much needed experience, leadership, grit and depth on the backend.

Nice start MacT. Keep it going. Gordon next to replace Horc on the dot and pk?

177. bookje says:

Магия¹º: The fake included a verified checkbox in the background image. I should have looked at follower count as well.

Strangely enough, the fake account was correct.

178. Ribs says:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 1m
    EDM is working hard to sign Boyd Gordon.

Tracy Lane ‏@TreenasOil Protected account 1m
    Oilers close to signing Boyd Gordon as per Garfield

That’s more like it.

179. Магия¹º says:

Awwwww.

Gino Reda ‏@GinoRedaTSN
    This picture is pure gold! Andrew Ferrance is going home. RT @Ferknuckle: pic.twitter.com/TSQ8ctFdV2

180. Lucinius says:

Ribs,

Because he’s got character, playoff experience and is a ‘saw him good recently’ type player from the playoffs. I watched every Bruin game and Ference played pretty well.

I don’t like the deal, as I said, and would rather they didn’t sign him but if they’re going to do another Khabbi-like contract on a player.. I think its about as ‘least bad’ of a choice out there. Stupid move, but I can see why they did it, even if the reasons for it are also at least slightly moronic (I’m being optimistic in that phrasing, I know).

181. spoiler says:

uni: spoiler, If you’re going pure noir it’s a stretch, stylized yes, expressionist less so. If we’re branching out for just style sure, everything mentioned here is noir.I was listing films with a complete style, atmosphere/cinematography with elements of sci-fi. All doesn’t matter in the end enjoyed all of those movies. Minority Report would have been fine if Tom Cruise hadn’t Tom Cruised the ending.

Nope not a stretch. Noir isn’t a style, so style is irrelevant to me. Minority Report is probably the purest noir film story that I can think of. It’s the narrative-the plot-the story… and the physics of the world that story is set in that makes a film noir. Not its style.

Solyaris might be more pure because it explicitly acknowledges the physics of its noir world, but the notion that it’s the watching is ruining things in Minority Report is so strong and integral that I might have to give it the nod. Too bad they flailed away at the screenplay and then Cruise. Wonder what Scott would have done with it.

182. Магия¹º says:

bookje,

Fake’s been picking up tweets of other journos that beat Bob. Not a precog. Sorry folks if we’re interrupting Noir Movie frenzy.

speeds ‏@hockeysymposium
    I wasn’t a fan of Ference on a one year deal at 3M, nevermind this deal. Adding him at that number vs. claiming Gilbert, I don’t get it
    Retweeted by mc79hockey

mc79hockey ‏@mc79hockey
    Ugh. That said, if they dodged the Clarkson bullet, I can live with it.

Teeeeroy ‏@heavyoilcountry
    @ThomsonCam @mc79hockey @Bob_Stauffer 4yrs x 3.25
    Retweeted by mc79hockey

183. LMHF#1 says:

Too long and too much for Ference. At least he’s tradeable I suppose.

Now terrified at how much they’re going to give Gordon. Please don’t mess this up…

184. bookje says:

striatic: yes it is his account.

185. striatic says:

Bag of Pucks: We want our team to get better, but at bargain prices. Complain, complain, complain.
    Who cares? It’s Katz’ money.

it isn’t about the money, it is the term.

it isn’t about Katz’ money, it is about the cap space.

186. RMGS says:

With Ference on the roster, is Schultz the Elder on the way out? Potter?

187. striatic says:

bookje: OK, I believe you, but it does seems suspicious that it only has 15 followers and that Bob McKenzie spells his name with an L in front of the z. But if you say so….

the same tweet came across https://twitter.com/TSN_Sports/lists/hockey i doubt TSN would include a fake account on their twitter list.

188. striatic says:

i’m actually cool with Ference getting significantly more money so long as the term was 2 years not 4.

189. Lucinius says:

That is the real McKenzie twitter account. Check-mark and 578k followers.

190. spoiler says:

TSN had Ference as their top-ranked UFA Dman. He sure gets a lot more accolades than his stats suggest.

Have to think that there is no Coburn coming now, unless Ference is being looked at as N. Schultz replacement.

191. Магия¹º says:

striatic,

the faker copies real tweets. twitter latency sometimes shows a copy tweet on a search earlier sometimes.

192. bookje says:

Woodguy, I think we can now accept that MacT is not really interested in advanced stats and greatly values character, leadership, hard work ethic, and intangibles above everything else. It makes sense, it was how he coached.

Long Haired Feaky Sideburned People need not apply.

193. Bag of Pucks says:

striatic: it isn’t about the money, it is the term.

it isn’t about Katz’ money, it is about the cap space.

This isn’t the Khabibulin contract. $3.25mil and 4 years is a very reasonable deal for a FA D man of this calibre. If you’re going to balk at these numbers, you’re basically saying you want Oil mgmt to sit on the sidelines all day today and build exclusively through the draft or trades. This is going to be a day for overpays. Fortunately it’s also a day for the team filling obvious needs.

194. Romulus Apotheosis says:

spoiler: Nope. Missed the boat with that one, Rom.If you think about it long enough, you will realize that the definition of noir requires no reference to lighting.Not to mention in Chinatown, this writer is seriously stretching the notion that the film gets progressively darker. There are plenty of alternating light and dark scenes. The night scene where Gittes is cut by Polanski is early in the movie.

Nor have you addressed The Long Goodbye.

Lighting can be used as a metaphor in noir–and certainly has been–but like any metaphor, it’s just a crayon in the box…pick any colour you like.Don’t confuse what became a hackneyed conceit with the genre itself.

So, as you can see, it is your assertion that is “straight -up crazy”.

This isn’t really an argument. There is a huge debate in the literature on Noir about whether it is a “genre” or a “period” and/or a “style”… but I’ve never come across an argument that cinematography wasn’t a key part of it.

Even going as far back as Borde and Chaumeton’s groundbreaking text from 1941 goes out of its way to describe the look, style and visual character of Noir.

Literally the only way you can advance an argument that visual style isn’t a part of Noir is to suggest that Noir is reducible to narrative and character alone.

Recall that lighting and visual style means a lot more than simply “darkness” here.

Take a look at Todd Erickson “Kill me Again: Movement Becomes Genre.” He has a very interesting discussion of the technical advancement in color film stock in the post Technicolor era.

195. uni says:

Andrew Ference’s contract today screams that the Oilers either don’t have good analytics personnel or that they are being ignored. Either scenario is greatly troubling to me.

spoiler,

Noir always had to be expressionist to me. Doesn’t really matter though, don’t need to categorize everything.

I wonder that about Minority Report myself. Cruise is a absolute self absorbed egomaniac, ruined what could easily have been a classic. Also what he did to Mission Impossible is just the epitome of disdain for a franchise.

Romulus Apotheosis,

Can we all just get back to talking about pretty good movies with sci-fi elements instead of trying to categorize them and hammering out definitions of terms? Oh and Jennifer Connelly, let’s not forget about her.

196. bookje says:

It’s going to be exciting to see if Smid or Ference scores more goals this year, like soccer, but spread out over 82 games.

197. RMGS says:

Komisarek for one year at $700,000 – same player as Ference?

198. Bag of Pucks says:

Emery to Philly on a very reasonable deal. Shame. Thought he was the perfect G to push Dubnyk.

Newer Comments »