MARCO ROY

The Edmonton Oilers drafted a promising offensive prospect with speed, skill and playmaking ability with their second round selection. Projecting players at 17 is a tough business, but if Roy continues to progress he should be a productive top 6 NHL forward. Roy’s 1.03 points-per-game total as a 17-year old is not terribly unusual for 2nd round draft picks, but it is a nice list to belong to for any forward. Since 2009 (5 drafts), there have been 15 (3 a year).

1. Nicolas Petan 2013 (WHL) 71, 46-74-120 (1.69)
  2. Shane Prince 2011 (OHL) 59, 25-63-88 (1.49)
  3. William Carrier 2013 (QMJHL) 34, 16-26-42 (1.24)
  4. Tyler Toffoli 2010 (OHL) 65, 37-42-79 (1.22)
  5. Ty Rattie 2011 (WHL) 67, 28-51-79 (1.18)
  6. Ryan Spooner 2010 (OHL) 47, 19-35-54 (1.15)
  7. Alexander Khoklachev 2011 (OHL) 67, 34-42-76 (1.13)
  8. Valentin Zykov 2012 (QMJHL) 67, 40-35-75 (1.12)
  9. Adam Erne 2013 (QMJHL) 68, 28-44-72 (1.06)
  10. Boone Jenner 2011 (OHL) 63, 25-41-66 (1.05)
  11. Marc Olivier Roy 2013 (QMJHL) 65, 29-38-67 (1.03)
  12. Christian Thomas 2010 (OHL) 64, 41-25-66 (1.03)
  13. Petr Straka 2010 (QMJHL) 62, 28-36-64 (1.03)
  14. Devante Smith-Pelly 2010 (OHL) 60, 29-33-62 (1.03)
  15. Nick Sorensen 2013 (QMJHL) 46, 20-27-47 (1.02)

MARCO ROY PLAYER CARD

roy player card

REDLINE AT #39

• Redline: While thought of as a grinder who brings passion and intensity to each shift (which is accurate), that is short-changing his skill level. Good skater with speed and balance, and accelerates well. Wins a lot of races for loose pucks and is always 1st into corners. Works his bag off every shift and comes back hard on the backcheck. He’s an absolute buzzsaw with a motor that never quits. If his team loses the puck, he wants to go and get it back immediately. Stays in constant motion in the offensive zone, making him very difficult to check or contain. Soft hands for both giving and receiving passes. Gets shots away quickly around the slot and shows good accuracy. Competes like a bastard and always has his head in the game. Rugged and persistent on the forecheck. Reliable player at both ends who is continually improving. Also 6’1″ with a nice frame to fill out.

BOB MCKENZIE AT #58

• Mckeens: energetic, hard-working two-way winger .. propelled by a non-stop motor – maintains effort level from shift to shift .. not overly flashy, yet quite sound in all aspects of the game .. developed nice chemistry on the top line with Christopher Clapperton and Cedric Paquette, a unit that has been together all year long and can work wonders on the power play .. brings some toughness and grit – not afraid to stick his nose in .. relentless chasing the puck on both the forecheck and backcheck – and is a solid bodychecker .. strives to finish checks and initiate contact, however, at 180 pounds, doesn’t make much of an impression at this stage due to his under-developed strength .. can be guilty of over-pursuit in the defensive zone however, and neglecting his coverage responsibilities at times .. uses a wide base and balanced stride to change directions on a dime and keep hounding the puck carrier .. lively skater with solid all-around agility .. reaches a decent top gear swiftly – helped by a fairly powerful lower body .. boasts exceptional balance on his edges which allows him to take shots on goal from less-than-ideal release points .. won’t shy away from traffic areas to create scoring chances .. quite effective working the cycle along the boards .. displays a keen sense for when to pass and when to shoot for the most part – while also possessing good shooting accuracy .. proficient at one-timing the puck on target from the right half-board, where he usually operates on the power play .. can be too selective however and must focus on being more assertive .. prone to getting overly fancy at times when in prime shooting spots .. should continue to be a riser if his offensive production keeps up.

COREY PRONMAN AT #70

• Corey Pronman: Roy is a late 1994 birthdate, and his late eligibility gave him extra time to take the next step in his development. That advantage allowed him to put up solid numbers in the QMJHL this season. Roy’s best skill is his skating, which is plus, as he can jet through the neutral zone with impressive top speed. He is a technically sound skater, and he is very elusive in tight. I have heard different takes on his offensive upside. One scout thinks he projects as an average offensive player, while another says his offensive instincts and puck play are very good but classifies his offensive potential as above-average. Roy has roughly average size, and his physical game can be inconsistent. He will, at times, show fine on-ice effort, but there will be times where he can drift off to the perimeter, while not overly impressing.

THE DRAFT: #56 OVERALL

In the week after the draft, I interviewed Michael Parkatti from the Boys on the Bus blog. Parkatti won the Oilers hackathon and did some numbers work for the Oilers before the draft, basically confirming what their scouts were viewing (or possibly raising red flags).

• Michael Parkatti: “The model really liked Marco Roy. There’s a lot of things to like about the player outwardly, and if you look at the statistics diagnostically it’s not just the point production but also the situation he found himself in. The team he played for this year was very good, but it was one of those situations where he wasn’t being dragged along by anybody. The way I like to look at it was he was the good player on the team, he played an integral part on that team. And you really saw that in the playoffs.”

roy2

BY THE NUMBERS

• Marco Roy
  • 6.01, 180
  • 65, 29-38-67 (Blainville-Boisbriand Armada, QMJHL)
  • NHLE: 82, 11-14-25
  • Shots on goal: 159 (65th in Q)
  • Shooting percentage: 18.2
  • EV: 65, 16-25-41
  • PP: 65, 13-13-26

FINAL COMMENTS

Remember when Stu MacGregor talked about MacT’s draft emphasis?

• MacGregor: “Well with Mac, skill is really important to him. That’s something that he’s looked for. Obviously the other intangibles of character, hard work, quality of people and players who are passionate to play the game are important, but he really has a high regard for skill.

If we add the Redline review (“Competes like a bastard and always has his head in the game. Rugged and persistent on the forecheck. Reliable player at both ends who is continually improving”) to the Parkatti math and situational success (“The way I like to look at it was he was the good player on the team, he played an integral part on that team”) Marco Roy projects as an excellent bet who should be in a position to push for NHL employment when his junior career is over. In about 2015 fall, the Oilers are very likely to need inexpensive, useful forwards and Marco Roy is currently at the top of that list.

44 Responses to "MARCO ROY"

1. Ryan says:

Any takers on David Steckel for 4c? Looks like he’s still floating around as a UFA.

What’s the deadline tomorrow for Gagner?

2. iHockeyWpg says:

LT: Now that the weekend is almost over, what do you think the odds are of Gagner signing a long term deal before the hearing tomorrow? Tks

iHockeyWpg:
    LT:Now that the weekend is almost over, what do you think the odds are of Gagner signing a long term deal before the hearing tomorrow?Tks

I think he signs for sure, and will guess 5 times $5.25.

Ryan: Don’t know when they’re slated to meet, iirc it’s usually morning.

5. TheOtherJohn says:

If those are the likely numbers on a long term deal, pray the cap goes up 8-10% or we will be in serious trouble as we will have $39m tied up in 7 players– kids plus goalie

6. theres oil in virginia says:

Lowetide: I think he signs for sure, and will guess 5 times $5.25.

7. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Love this kid. Skill and some pepper for the other team’s porridge.

I’m thinking his NHL upper range is going to be in the David Perron mould.

Perron’s path to the NHL is highly idiosyncratic, so outside of both coming from the Q, I hesitate to compare them that closely. But he sounds a lot like a young version of the player Perron is.

theres oil in virginia: I’d say something about this, but for the old saying: “Don’t piss-off the cook.”:)

Always feel free, Virginia. Personal attacks are not tolerated but disagreements with my opinion are, shall we say, routine. :-)

9. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“The Oilers chose a skilled forward with their 2nd round pick this season, after going for a big forward in 2012 and a defenseman in 2011. If draft history holds true, Roy will pass both Mitchell Moroz and David Musil on the way to the NHL: he’s a skilled forward and they can come in a hurry.”

I fully expect him to pass Moroz in short order. Musil is still a wild card for me. He won’t get there terribly soon, but if/when he does he could stay for a very long time. He could easily carve out the same career that N. Schultz and Smid have. Those guys always find work.

Or, he could fade away never to be heard from again.

Turnstile Heaven, you may have a recruit waiting on his wings.

10. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: Always feel free, Virginia. Personal attacks are not tolerated but disagreements with my opinion are, shall we say, routine.

You Blackguard! You Benedict Arnold! You Bounder!…

Oh wait, I read that wrong… my mistake.

Your opinions are terrible.

11. theres oil in virginia says:

LOL. People are free to be routinely wrong!

I’m just ribbin’ ya’ about your “migration” from $4.x M to $5.x M, which I, of course, have been saying since the beginning. (Now watch the SOB sign for $4.99 M!)

12. VanOil says:

I have had reservations about MacT’s supposed brilliance. Being the last man to play pro hockey without a helmet is well, stupid. But I accept smart people are capable of doing stupid things. Drafting Marco Roy was smart.

Hiring Michael Parkatti is brilliant. Even if came about through a contest. I will miss his after game analysis if he is no longer able to provide it to the public, but I am thrilled that the people who need to read it will. I hope they find use for his analysis not only for scouting but also game by game performance. I could see kids like Nuge and Yak getting competitive over numbers and treat it like a video game trying to stay in the green for games on end.

theres oil in virginia: LOL.People are free to be routinely wrong!

I’m just ribbin’ ya’ about your “migration” from $4.x M to $5.x M, which I, of course, have been saying since the beginning.(Now watch the SOB sign for $4.99 M!)

Yeah, I was wondering if anyone would notice. It’s a tough contract to figure, and at some point I still felt he’d take a little less to stay. However, MacT is going to have to decide, and I suspect if it was a trade we’d have heard it by now.

He’s going deep with 89.

14. theres oil in virginia says:

Lowetide: It’s a tough contract to figure, and at some point I still felt he’d take a little less to stay.

I still think he’s willing to take less to stay, but I think if what someone said about there being no NMC option for RFA years, then that’s a tight situation. That makes me think he may wait ’til near the trade deadline and then sign. Oh, to be a fly on the wall…

15. theres oil in virginia says:

Also, I think $5.25 is “a little less”, although I know others here vehemently disagree with that.

16. VanOil says:

I am to the point with Gagner contract i just hope for resolution. Pay the man or trade the man. But please do not punt it down the road with another 1 year deal.

17. fifthcartel says:

$5.25 would be tough to swallow. I’m hoping for $4.75, but expecting $5+.

18. theres oil in virginia says:

The more I listen to Led Zeppelin play live, the more I appreciate them. I recently purchased the “Led Zeppelin” DVD, which has footage of them at Royal Albert Hall and other venues, and it is incredible. It gave me new respect for the band. Then, today, I purchased the BBC recordings, and there, right in the middle of the solo for Heartbreaker, Jimmy Page pulls out a Bach riff from the solo cello suites! What an incredible band.

19. Ducey says:

VanOil:

Or sign him to a one year. That gives more time to assess trade options, & evaluate the player. Obviously the best result is a longer term deal at a number less than 5, but rushing into a trade could lead to a very poor return.

20. "Steve Smith" says:

I’m tired of talking about Roy. Can you put another Gagner thread up?

lol. I could put up a Scarlet Johansson thread tonight and it would turn into a Gagner thread.

22. ashley says:

I’m really uneasy about Gagner. Not because I think we’ll lose him, but because I think we’ll keep him on a terrible contract and he will be the new Horcoff.

I wish there was more thought that went into these negotations than boxcars. Maybe there is? We have to look at the quality of those numbers.

How many empty net points did Sam scroe this last year? 10? Every time there was an EN goal, it seemed to be him. He got one goal that bounced off the glass, the net, the back of the goalie. A few accidental goals in there too. Not to mention the second assists that did nothing to advance the play. He gets that big Chicago game two years ago which triggers a lucky run, but he is Mr. Cellophane for a large part of 2011-12. I know thay all count, but this is not Taylor Hall, Nail Yakupov, or RNH. And it’s not really even close.

He’s a 3.5-4 million dollar player with 5 million dollar numbers. 5 million x 5 years makes him an untradeable anchor and puts an enormous amouont of pressure on the young pro. I bet he crumbles under the pressure we layer on him on this blog alone.

You don’t want to be overapid in Edmonton. It’s not going to be a fun time.

23. theres oil in virginia says:

Don’t let that stop you.

24. TheOtherJohn says:

Ashley

Even worse Gagner’s not very tall.

Roy though is a legit 6’0″

Back to predictions: Gagner 15 years at $3m per. If only he were taller

25. Bar_Qu says:

I wonder if going skill forward in rounds one and two will be the new modus operandi. The Oil seem to find good D under every rock lately, with a whole pack waiting to come up, so getting soem skill forward depth may be the way to go. Obciously don’t pass up a great D, but if you can graduate fwds in 2-3 years versus 4-5 for the D, why not spend the best picks on them instead? Especially 2nd rounders, where mathematical quality is still always present?

Just a thought.

26. RexLibris says:

TheOtherJohn:
    Ashley

Even worse Gagner’s not very tall.

Roy though is a legit 6’0″

Back to predictions: Gagner 15 years at $3m per. If only he were taller

15 years? I don’t see the Oilers trading Gagner to the Islanders just yet.

27. TheOtherJohn says:

RexLibris: 15 years? I don’t see the Oilers trading Gagner to the Islanders just yet.

Just trying to get the cap hit down. :-) Astonishingly Samwise would be younger than Jagr is today after a 15 year contract

28. Maverick says:

I literally “laughed Out Loud” at that comment LT! Very true!

This could be the biggest challenge of the MacT regime. It will be a decision either way that will be discussed on here for several years. I know I said it yesterday, but I’m not giving Gagner a cent over $4.75M. I like the player, don’t love him, he is 5th wheel on the kids bus, Hall, Eberle, RNH, Yakupov are the stars of the show. Gagner tries hard, good work ethic, tough little SOB, but he has his warts that I don’t think he will ever overcome. His girlfriend is from here and is at the UofA and that plays into the human side as MacT like to call it, but hockey is a business and we became aware of that 25 years ago this year.

End of the day, push comes to shove I think the decision will be to move Gagner rather than overpay and/or lose him in a year to UFA if he gets the arbitration hearing. Do they need him? Sort of, just because the depth at center is brutal, but is Gagner really a true center? Plus it is the same dilemma in the summer of 2006, no center depth and an over payment for Horcoff because they had too. Sorry not this time, when the chips are down I say they move him. To whom, for what? no idea but the longer the silence the more the odds increase Gagner gets traded.

If I am wrong so be it. I will still cheer for him to succeed either here or elsewhere.

29. striatic says:

i don’t understand why any team would trade for Gagner right now, since they’ll just end up in the same boat as the Oilers are currently in, where they get a one year rental until Gagner goes UFA, in exchange for an asset.

Gagner is a one year rental for the Oilers following arbitration. similar to Hemsky, any return for Gagner will be increased at the trade deadline compared to the Summer.

so you trade Gagner next year at the deadline, not now, and replace him with a UFA in the summer. pickings at C will be better next summer than they are right now, so there is little to lose in hanging onto Sam for a year, post-arbitration.

30. Bank Shot says:

I really like the sounds of this draft pick. Has good skill and an effort level to match apparently. Haven’t heard a lot of that about Oilers draft picks in times past. Too many guys who thought they were scorers and didn’t want to put in the yeoman work.

31. RexLibris says:

A while ago over at that “other” site I posited on a phenomenon I called the “Gagner-Bomb” whereby in any conversation or online thread, the moment someone mentioned the name Gagner the remainder of all dialogue would be directed entirely to the discussion of his relative value and potential.

And example: “What do you think about Anthopolous’ off-season moves now?” “I think it has backfired, but I just hope that MacTavish doesn’t do the same thing when he trades Sam Gagner trying to find a real 2nd line center.” [thus begins an interminable debate over whether Gagner is a 2C, what the return on a trade might be, or whether he cheats on his Movember 'stache by purchasing a weave]

When one considers the number of threads that have been devoted to the signing of Gagner, as well as the ultimate result of whatever decision or agreement is made by this time tomorrow, I would say that the Oilogosphere is staring directly into the maw of a Gagner-geddon.

Brace yourselves for the end is nigh.

32. Gret99zky says:

The thing about the Horcoff contract was most believed it was Lowe giving too much $ to Horcoff, not Horcoff asking for too much. Nobody blames Horcoff for signing the deal.

This feels different.

This feels like Gagner demanding too much, using a hammer on MacT and, because of the team’s C depth and trade options, MacT having no choice but to sign him to an overpay.

But the end may feel the same. A player in over his head and not living up to his contract.

We wait.

33. Bar_Qu says:

What I didn’t say was that I think Roy could be the start of these useful forwards who push their way up the system providing the young skill to fill out a 4line and complementary pieces for when injuries hit the top lines.

RexLibris,

Its funny how polarizing young Sam is. I hope he gets his 5.25/5 deal. This organisation needs a reminder of how to properly manage its assets in advance & I think the team can absorb the cap hit for at least the next two years.

34. Oilanderp says:

Roy is an ok prospect. Now to the topic at hand. Oilers can sign Gags for 5,5 and in 2 years still be under the 72 mil cap max. Noone goes over the 6 mil limit of course, except Nuge at 6.5. Will the cap be at 72 mil in 2 years?? Who knows. Please dont let Gags go for nothing.,…,…

35. Captain Smarmy says:

4-0!

36. Rebilled says:

Speaking of Gagner and Roy, it’s pretty great that Bettman and Daly are big Mets fans and named that division the Metropolitan division.

Nothing against baseball but this isn’t MLB.

37. Tarkus says:

Captain Smarmy:
    4-0!

I am very happy for Mrs. Lowetide right now. And a happy Mrs. makes for a happy Mr. Everyone wins! (Well, except teams ending in “ton”.)

Trying–albeit subtly–to turn my Edmonton-born-&-raised GF into a Rider fan, but she’s resisting. Mind you, she’s not much of a football watcher: I suspect it’s out of the loyalty to the hometown than to the Eskies themselves. I’ll persuade her yet.

Back on point: I contribute this video. Just pretend they’re pronouncing his name properly.

And sticking with the above-linked theme:

Rebilled:

Nothing against baseball but this isn’t MLB.

The Nye Mets are my favorite squadron.

(Not)

38. oliveoilers says:

RexLibris,

lol, yep! And semi-ironic that you bought up Gagner. Dammit, now I did it! All I said was “This piece of halibut was good enough for Gagner!” I’m struggling to remember the maxim, but I think this is the gist: Nothing may be observed in it’s natural state, as the act of observation changes that which is being observed. Hence, all roads lead to Gagner, who to my mind we should treat like Subban. Put up the points Sam, play some D, show us another upside, get paid. If not, save the money and overpay someone else!

It’s going to be a long summer.

40. Gret99zky says:

This is a whole different thread altogether.

Chorus: “This is a whole different thread.”

41. Hammers says:

Lowetide: I think he signs for sure, and will guess 5 times $5.25.

Hope not that much 5 years @ $4.8 = $ 24.

42. OilLeak says:

Lowetide: I think he signs for sure, and will guess 5 times $5.25.

5.5 X 5 and that’s my absolute max(already too high IMO), anything else is a massive overpay.

43. theres oil in virginia says:

More fine work from Willis over at ON (which you own lately BTW) on ‘Gagner Watch 2013′. You’ve got to get him on the show this week. You and he discussing the Gagner resolution (what else?) would be the highlight of Oilers radio for the week.

44. markasread1199 says:

Late to the party but my vote is for the Scarlett Johansson post. As for Gags, I fear the 1 year $4.75M. It drags this thing out through the season. Long term would be ideal, hoped for $4.5M or $4.75M but I think we see $5M and maybe $5.25M.