OILERS ADD GREBESHKOV

Craig MacTavish keeps signing defensemen, stockpiling them for employment (and eventually for trade). Today, he’s added a veteran from the KHL known to Oiler fans and MacT himself. 29-year old Denis Grebeshkov has been added to the Oilers via nhl.com (and it has now been confirmed), giving the club yet another defenseman for the group.

GREBESHKOV 2012-13 KHL

grebeshkov capture

Very uneven season, played 20 minutes for Yugra but didn’t see much time for SKA. Grebeshkov is certainly young enough to make a successful return to the NHL, and the Oilers Euro scouts must feel he can compete for work. No contract details at this time, obviously.

A few notes:

I have literally no idea where to slot him.

• The Oilers are trading a defenseman. Seriously.
  • The Oilers have suddenly become a player in Russia, and appear to be making a move that looks very much like Moneyball.

My brain is melting.

139 Responses to "OILERS ADD GREBESHKOV"

1. FrankenOil says:

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 7m
    GM Craig MacTavish announces the #Oilers have agreed to terms with defenceman Denis Grebeshkov on a one-year contract.

2. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Can we basically say now that EDM is a pretty safe landing for Russians?

Giddy-up!

3. Truth Movement says:

Confirmed.

Ahh, Denis Grebeshkov, or as Rod Phillips liked to call him, “Mike Krushelnyski”

4. Bar_Qu says:

The Oil are planning to run their third line with 5 D-men.

Taking unorthodox to a whole new level.

5. JamesL says:

Holy mackeral, we have a lot of forwards defencemen!

I’ve been saving tinfoil for this day!

7. JamesL says:

With all these dudes, it’s fair to say that someone’s getting moved. Laddy? Petry? Schultz the elder? Anyone care to game this out? Like LT, my brain is melting and have no idea what’s coming next.

Imagine if they add Coburn, too…

8. linkfromhyrule says:

oh I am happy about this! and so begins the speculation frenzy on which D gets traded. It’s gotta be Schultz sr I just can’t see why they would want to trade anybody else. Does macT already have a deal to offload one of our other D? Who knows

9. rich says:

Like the signing lots. Grebs brings a lot of good things and it obviously sets up for another trade.

Gee, ya think they might bring Gilbert back now as well and reunite that pairing? (I kid, I kid).

10. Kirby says:

This has to be a precursor for trading a defensemen. Maybe not right away, but before the season starts for sure (training camp perhaps?). I am sticking with my gut predicting Nick Schultz to be the likely trade candidate. In my opinion that would make the most sense and probably nets the largest potential return from a team feeling their a depth defensemen away (which is likely just picks/prospects).

At this moment, how many “NHL” defensemen do the Oilers have under contract? 10? Has to be a trade at some point, just has to be!

11. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“We’ve talked about Grebs returning before, notably a couple of years ago (here).”

Nothing like taking a stroll through your distaste for Smid:

“The Oilers blue has all kinds of problems, chief among them a lack of actual NHL players. Ryan Whitney’s injuries mean that one of the veterans has a question mark no matter how healthy he appears to be at any given time. Tom Gilbert is a quality veteran, but after that there’s a major drop in quality before Ladislav Smid and Kurtis Foster are seen.”

12. goldenchild says:

On its own I like the move but for the love of Alba what does this all mean? Somebody has to be leaving dont they? Schultz? Smid? Petry? And did Belov know this was an option when he signed?
    We could use a 3 for 1 right about now

13. Zack says:

I wonder if a big trade is on the horizon like a three for one? A top d prospect and two D who can contribute for a big name? In my opinion we have a plethora of bottom four dmen but we are severely lacking in the number one dman department, not to be confused with a top pairing defenseman.

Romulus Apotheosis:

Nothing like taking a stroll through your distaste for Smid:

Oh that was tame. TAME! :-)

15. JamesL says:

So…

The Oilers have 8 D-men with NHL experience and something resembling a 9th in Belov:

Anton Belov
    Andrew Ference
    Denis Grebeshkov
    Philip Larsen (can’t be sent down without being waived)
    Jeff Petry
    Corey Potter
    Justin Schultz
    Nick Schultz
    Ladislav Smid

And then there’s Klefbom, whom many regard as a potential candidate for a roster spot this year.

10 guys, 7 or 8 spots. Intriguing.

16. Jon K says:

My brain is melting.

Don’t start without me! *Rustles through pile of dusty blotters*

It will be interesting to see how much Grebs has improved or progressed. Sometimes it can be hard to notice with defencemen, since it’s such a gradual process.

17. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: Oh that was tame. TAME!

That’s exactly the point. So many flavors of distaste. It’s great to relive the whole rainbow!

18. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I wonder if The Great Stockpiling means that Klefbom can relax himself into OKC this year. maybe they got the memo about his UFA status.

19. Lois Lowe says:

I am stocking up on LSD futures prior to his arrival. Between him, Belov, Larsen, and Schultz the Younger there is guaranteed acid moments for the Oiler blue line this season.

:D

I will now break my arm patting myself on the back.

I called this move back in February:

Welcome back Grebs!

Break out the tinfoil hats and blotter acid!

21. Jon K says:

In terms of possible D moving out, one would think that the team is entertaining proposals involving Jeff Petry.

He has a low cap hit, he still has perceived upside, and is arguably a top 4 D.

From the Oilers perspective, he hasn’t really progressed quickly in terms of his poor decision making from the point and isn’t gaining the strength and weight they’d like to see. I also have reason to believe that he isn’t a “perfect fit” in the dressing room.

Maybe going to Detroit for a quality forward? He’s got links to the area and he’s the kind of D that Detroit likes to pick up and polish off the rough edges.

I have literally no idea where to slot him.
    The Oilers are trading a defenseman. Seriously.
    My brain is melting.

Joy!

23. Jesse says:

There is no way that Potter, Corey is an Oiler this year.

24. wheatnoil says:

Jon K:

He has a low cap hit, he still has perceived upside, and is arguably a top 4 D.

25. Gerta Rauss says:

Well, there is your 3rd pairing mentor for J Schultz.

Now N Schultz out the door for a RH 2nd pairing D with a little anger in his game and we’re off to the races.

Smid-Petry
    Ference-x
    Grebs-Jultz

Belov

-the rest

Nick Schultz for a Roman Polak type.

26. wheatnoil says:

Speculation: Maybe a depth D going the Kings (Larsen? Potter?) plus a pick for Clifford? Trade is on hold because presumably the Oilers would get to talk to Clifford before the trade to make sue he’d sign. Once they have a deal in principle, trade gets made.

27. JamesL says:

Gerta,

Does that mean that we immediately surrender Larsen to waivers? Not that I’m opposed, but just wonder if it’s likely that MacT will do so.

28. Bar_Qu says:

To clarify, some prominent voices here were taking MacT at his word that he was basically done & there would be little news until September.

Just sayin’, is all. ;-)

Edit: I now realize i also felt the Oil were done, and feel shamed by my hypocrisy (well, maybe not shamed, mildly aware of a general discomfort)

29. wheatnoil says:

Bar_Qu:

Just sayin’, is all.

Valid point. We should remember this day for the future when MacT says something we don’t agree with. Remember, MacT telling the truth and MacT lying sound very much the same. Also, MacT changes his mind (see Krueger, Ralph).

30. Romulus Apotheosis says:

JamesL:
    Gerta,

I think Larsen’s RD keep him safe to an extent.

the real question is going to be how important he was to the Horcov deal? If he was simply tossed in, he can leave without much concern. If MacT sought him, even modestly, he’d be loath to ditch him without seeing him run first IMO.

31. jb says:

Can someone explain the “this means we’re trading a defensemen logic”? Any decent team needs at least 6 strong NHL options, with 2-3 guys knocking on the door step creating healthy competition.

Smid-Petry
    Ference-J-Schultz
    NShultz-Grebs/Belov/Klefbom/Larsen/Potter/Whoever earns a spot. This is good. No one in the top 6 should feel complacent..

Finally looking like somewhat of an NHL d corps.. its been a while.

My optimism heading into the season is on the rise.

32. böökje says:

Here’s a theory – Russians play better when there are a few of them around. Belov, Grebs, Yak, and the draft picks all suggest that the Oilers are seeking to establish a new Russian tradition on the Oilers.
    I guess we are now following the Detroit model.

33. Jon K says:

wheatnoil: Petry is the best all-round D the Oilers have! Hasn’t progressed quickly? Two years ago he was still playing the AHL and now he’s taking on the toughest assignments!

Wheat,

I’m not saying that these are absolute truths. It’s more just thinking aloud from my perspective.

It might be a beneficial exercise to go through the possibilities in terms of D moving out.

In terms of guys unlikely to move:
    J Schultz – obvious
    Ference – just signed
    Larsen – just acquired, but possible I suppose
    Grebs – just signed
    Belov – just signed

That leaves:
    Smid – always possible he is moved, but is expensive and UFA eligibility looming
    N Schultz – possible, but expensive, making him unlikely
    Petry – noted above, cheap and possibly expendable
    Potter – possible, but very little value for trade. Can also just be buried in AHL

34. böökje says:

Woodguy:
    I will now break my arm patting myself on the back.

I called this move back in February:

Welcome back Grebs!

Break out the tinfoil hats and blotter acid!

Pat Pat – Jack Johnson – Pat Pat…

35. Dead Cat Bounce says:

The Oilers have too many defensemen.

The Red Wings have too many forwards.

Jeff Petry for Justin Abdelkader.

6’1″ 220 LW.

Led the Red Wings in hits with 120.

10G 3A 13P +6 in 48GP.

Perfect.

36. wheatnoil says:

Jon K,

Fair enough, though I still disagree that Petry is an any way expendable unless a better version of Petry is coming back.

Also, I’m a big Petry fan and even the thought of him getting traded saddens me, which is likely why I jumped on you a bit there.

37. böökje says:

WG – Actually, you do deserve Kudos for that one. So, now tell us where Grebs slots in and how he will do.

38. Romulus Apotheosis says:

jb:

Smid-Petry
    Ference-J-Schultz

Finally looking like somewhat of an NHL d corps.. its been a while.

My optimism heading into the season is on the rise.

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Can we basically say now that EDM is a pretty safe landing for Russians?

Giddy-up!

Vladivolstok West!

Love it!

40. Manitoba Oilers says:

Dead Cat Bounce:
    The Oilers have too many defensemen.

The Red Wings have too many forwards.

Jeff Petry for Justin Abdelkader.

6’1″ 220 LW.

Led the Red Wings in hits with 120.

10G 3A 13P +6 in 48GP.

Perfect.

No Petry is to much

41. Manitoba Oilers says:

JamesL:
    So…

Anton Belov
    Andrew Ference
    Denis Grebeshkov
    Philip LarsenTraded (can’t be sent down without being waived)
    Jeff Petry
    Corey PotterGone
    Justin Schultz
    Nick SchultzGone
    Ladislav Smid

10 guys, 7 or 8 spots. Intriguing.

42. linkfromhyrule says:

Jon K: Wheat,
    That leaves:

43. Wolfpack says:

I would be disappointed to see Petry moved because the Oilers have put a lot of time into the development of this player and despite a bit of a slide last year I think he can still get better.

I also think it would be a bad move to trade Smid. This guy just signed a pretty friendly contract last year and absolutely loves it in Edmonton. He is tough as nails and well liked in the dressingroom – I would think he is the type of d-man the Oilers would want to keep.

Nick Shultz could go but I am not sure who really needs him. Potter has limited value – I think there is a possiblity that we are going to see one or two of the Oilers’ high-end blue line prospects get traded before the start of the season.

44. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Manitoba Oilers: No Petry is to much

Petry is a #4D on a good team and the Oiler now have many options to replace his minutes.

Abdelkader is a beast who would move Smyth to the 4th line and Joensuu to the AHL.

Abdelkader is also signed for another 3 seasons @ $1.8M.

45. JamesL says:

linkfromhyrule,

Smid is under contract with the Oilers through 2017.

46. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Apparently Russia just jailed a political figure and the streets are filled.

Those people are probably just excited about the Oilers

böökje: Pat Pat – Jack Johnson – Pat Pat…

Thankfully, I don’t bat 1.000

48. jonrmcleod says:

LT: It’s been a while since I read Moneyball. When you say this is a Moneyball move, do you mean that the Oilers are acquiring players that are devalued by other teams (in this instance, because they are Russian)? Like the fat catcher who could hit?

böökje:
    WG – Actually, you do deserve Kudos for that one.So, now tell us where Grebs slots in and how he will do.

2nd or 3rd LD

Log jam at LD

I’ve though N.Shultz is on his way out since Belov and Ference were signed.

50. markasread1199 says:

So maybe we can have a beer now, then if/when Gagner signs and Hemsky trade brings a fit for the 3 line we can have another.

Dead Cat Bounce:
    The Oilers have too many defensemen.

The Red Wings have too many forwards.

Jeff Petry for Justin Abdelkader.

6’1″ 220 LW.

Led the Red Wings in hits with 120.

10G 3A 13P +6 in 48GP.

Perfect.

I only think Petry moves if another RHD comes back.

RH multi-tool D are too rare to trade for Abdelkader.

52. "Steve Smith" says:

Truth Movement:
    Confirmed.

I laughed out loud at this – well done.

I like the signing too, for basically the same reasons as anybody else (assuming it’s not $8 million per for eight years, or something). But I will not be happy if it means Petry’s on his way out.

Edit: Of course, I’d also love to see the other Glimmer Twin back. Dangerous at both ends of the ice, those guys.

53. Jordan says:

So… Acid Trip’s back. Never thought I’d see the day. Do we drop to celebrate? O_O

With all the defensemen…you’ve got to think it’s going to be a quantity for quality trade, no?

Smid and Petry have the most value, N. Schultz looks like the most expendable Ferrence just got here and isn’t leaveing, Belov’s a giant question makr, JSchultz is one of the chosen ones, and then there’s the 3 bottom pairing guys: Grebs, Larsen & Potter. Plus the Bom & Marincin in need of seasoning.

Holy crap we have a lot of defencemen.

Smid, N Schultz, Gagner & 1st for Weber?

Becuase really – this does not make sense without a WHALE of a trade, no?

54. Ca$h-Money! says:

Dead Cat Bounce,

Didn’t DSF say word for word the same thing at Oilers Nation?

Word for Word.

55. Gerta Rauss says:

JamesL:
    Gerta,

Surrender..? no.
    Expose him to waivers…sure, maybe.

Somebody has already mentioned that Larsen may have been a throw in /contract for contract part of the deal, so we don’t know how much the Oilers value him.

They may carry 8D leaving training camp as well.

If I was Corey Potter I’d have my bags packed and my passport up to date.

56. Lois Lowe says:

Defensive depth is generally something every year we fans complain about. Ever since 2006. Even in the event that one gets traded, MacT has at least attempted to find actual NHL players to fill out his roster.

I never fully realized how apt the assessment “management by neglect” was in respect to Tambellini’s reign as GM. This now has to be seen as almost a complete roster turnover in one(!!) summer.

57. Jon K says:

linkfromhyrule: I thought Smid just signed a 4 year extension that was supposedly a good contract? Or was I dreaming again

58. rich says:

Petry may be a #4 on a good defense, but the Oilers lack for established top 4 right now. Counting on Belov or Grebs to immediately step back into that would not be wise.

It is very likely that you’ll have some teams that are hard pressed to get under the cap looking for cheap bottom end options on the D. The price for these may go up during camp in September. Or, as many of us are speculating, it’s the prelude to something now to help us solidify the bottom 6 forwards.

Either way, I like the fact that MacT has done exactly what he said in terms of being willing to expose themselves to risk in order to get better versus Tambi’s inertia.

59. "Steve Smith" says:

Jordan: Becuase really – this does not make sense without a WHALE of a trade, no?

I don’t know who’s waiver-eligible, but it’s probably fair to say that anybody who can’t make the Oilers’ D-corps on merit is not somebody we need to worry too much about losing. Let’s let all these guys come into camp and compete for jobs, and if we lose Philip Larson and Corey Potter for nothing, so what?

I’m not adverse to a trade, of course. But I don’t mind going into camp with all of Schultz, Schultz, Smid, Petry, Ference, Belov, Larsen, Grebeshkov, and Potter (and Gilbert). We might – might – even be able to cobble together a passable NHL defensive corps from that crew, if Grebeshkov still has game and Schultz and Petry improve.

60. Romulus Apotheosis says:

N. Schultz is the obvious choice.

No one is walking away from Petry. a RD with a big chance to continue getting better and already doing good things. no way, no how. Not unless a bigger RD piece is coming back. No way.

But MacT is probably grateful Tambo got Smid under a good contract with no NTC/NMC right about now.

I seriously hope it isn’t Smid. Seriously. but N. Schultz can go without much loss of salty water.

61. Jordan says:

"Steve Smith": I don’t know who’s waiver-eligible, but it’s probably fair to say that anybody who can’t make the Oilers’ D-corps on merit is not somebody we need to worry too much about losing.Let’s let all these guys come into camp and compete for jobs, and if we lose Philip Larson and Corey Potter for nothing, so what?

I’m not adverse to a trade, of course.But I don’t mind going into camp with all of Schultz, Schultz, Smid, Petry, Ference, Belov, Larsen, Grebeshkov, and Potter (and Gilbert).We might – might – even be able to cobble together a passable NHL defensive corps from that crew, if Grebeshkov still has game and Schultz and Petry improve.

That’s fair Steve.

Could that be what all this is: a change from the team saying “Here’s your contract, there’s your roster spot, we’ll talk again when your deal’s up” to “here’s your contract, now go earn it.” ?

That sure sounds a lot like the MacT I remember…

62. Truth says:

Jesse:
    There is no way that Potter, Corey is an Oiler this year.

Thank God. Unfortunately he will pass through waivers unclaimed and will sit on the cap hit for the year. About time management is serious about defensive depth. The AHL players should have no problem staying in the AHL. Remember when Alex Plante played regular season games in the NHL. HA.

Would really, really love to see a Marincin, N. Schultz (or Petry if they must), and a pick for Bogosian type deal be completed now.

63. striatic says:

what is the money and term?

64. Romulus Apotheosis says:

You are excluding the prospects in the system I assume.

65. Gerta Rauss says:

Wolfpack:

Nick Shultz could go but I am not sure who really needs him.

Jon K:

N Schultz – possible, but expensive, making him unlikely

Nick Schultz at half price ($1.75M) would be attractive to many teams.

I really hope they do not move Petry or Smid-I’d be really disappointed if that happens.

66. striatic says:

ok term is 1 year.

67. "Steve Smith" says:

Jordan: Would it also be fair to say that if Klefbom plays better than ALL of those depth guys, he’s legitimately earned a spot on the Oilers roster?

I would say so, but that’s obviously just me. Break camp with the seven or eight best defencemen (with such adjustments as may be needed for special teams and LD/RD), and let the other chips fall where they may.

68. Jesse says:

1 year x $1.5 I heard on twitter.

69. Romulus Apotheosis says:

striatic:
    what is the money and term?

One year deal. The $$$ hasn’t been announced to my knowledge.

anyone want to take an over/under on the Belov contract?

70. "Steve Smith" says:

Romulus Apotheosis: You are excluding the prospects in the system I assume.

Yes – I don’t think any of them are waiver-eligible at this point. Plante and Teubert might have been if we’d kept them – I’m not sure.

71. Tarkus says:

Jordan:

Smid, N Schultz, Gagner & 1st for Weber?

Becuase really – this does not make sense without a WHALE of a trade, no?

I dunno how likely Nashville is to trade Weber, having already paid him a quarter of that $110M O/S the Preds matched…

…But if Poile wishes to make him available (perhaps confident Seth Jones could replace Weber sooner rather than later), the window opens on the 24th. Six more days…

72. fuzzy muppet says:

There’s gonna HAVE to be a 3 for 1 deal coming. So many depth guys on Defense. Maybe they are gonna move a few to bring in that top pairing guy they need. A package of Smid/Schultz and Petry + could get that big fish they long for.

Anyone up to the task of amassing a list of Right-handed, top pairing Defensemen that they may be looking at?

I’m lazy….

73. Bag of Pucks says:

I’m really enjoying MacT’s style as a GM thus far.

Whereas Tambellini would draw to 1 inside straight (Cam Barker), then fold and call it a day, MacT seems keen to see as many cheap flops as possible.

I’m not a fan of Grebs at all, but the more competition (and tradeable assets) we have in camp, the better. Given the way J Schultz Jr finished the season last year, should he be worried?

74. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“Steve Smith”: Yes – I don’t think any of them are waiver-eligible at this point.Plante and Teubert might have been if we’d kept them – I’m not sure.

lets make a list. who do you think might get a camp look of the system prospects:

Klefbom, Fedun, Marincin…

does it stop there? or, do they let some of the others hang out for “experience” or whatnot?

does anyone have the invite list for the 11-12 season?

75. Gerta Rauss says:

Yeah, both Plante and Teubert would have had to clear this year(I think Plante had to clear LAST year to be honest)

Potter and Larsen are cannon fodder as far as I’m concerned-if they clear waivers we can recall them unfettered for 30 days before they would have to clear again(pretty sure about that)

76. striatic says:

i think Edmonton is not afraid to lose guys on waivers, if it means having competition in TC.

Larsen, Potter, N. Schultz .. even Grebeshkov and Belov are all disposable assets at this point.

77. jb says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Romulus Apotheosis: The problem is at most you can have 8 on your team only… and because the prospect pool is stacked in OKC, anyone who goes down either steps on prospect toes by taking TOI, is lost to waivers or sits in the AHL.

True, though I think a good team shouldn’t have any issues losing guys like Larsson or Potter to waivers if they can’t crack the top 8. It seems the logic being used with Nick Shultz is similiar to Hemsky.. Fans saw him drown with J Schultz, no longer see him as a top 4 option, see his 3.5m pricetag and conclude he’s useless. Hemsky has that 5m contract, people see two younger right wingers with far more potential, and conclude Hemsky’s next week’s trash. We can be thankful MacT see’s the value these guys add on the ice now, as it won’t be an issue until we’re looking at losing a someone from cap restrictions. More NHL players please.

78. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I think Gregor is slowly descending into his future: the Mark Spector roll.

79. Gerta Rauss says:

striatic,

Yup-and I like the way our valuable prospects are stacked up ie:multiple years of waiver exemption-Klef, Marinicin, Fedun….all the way down to Nurse.

We got wedged in last year with Peckham having to clear, the Oilers terrified of losing him to waivers, and the next prospect in line, Tuebert, was a hundred miles from being ready to play in the NHL.

Me likey.

Jon K: My mistake, a part of me has obviously blocked the Smid extension from recollection. With that extension we can probably add Smid to “uinlikely to move” list, much to LT’s chagrin.

MacT didn’t do that contract.

I wouldn’t write him in ink on any line up.

81. dessert1111 says:

I’m not sure why some people are suggesting trading Petry. He is currently the best Oilers defenseman (arguably) and probably has more value to the Oilers than other teams since he is still a relatively unknown commodity.

Curiously awaiting what comes next…

82. Kitchener says:

When Tambo was fired, I thought “who cares? The group-think with Lowe will just continue with a new spokesman.”

Totally wrong.

MacT’s complete contrast from Tambellini’s is a revelation on how the Oilers Brass function. The GM can actually make moves if they want to.

This signing is fantastic. Competition for ice-time. EA Sports GM’ing isn’t half this tumultuous.

83. Clarence Oveur says:

Gregor: “Denis Grebeshkov doesn’t help the Oilers win”

How does adding veteran defensemen who can play to the bottom pairing NOT help your team win?

84. Romulus Apotheosis says:

jb:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

The thing about larsen and potter isn’t just that they are cheap (and in larsen’s case still may have upside), they are RD, which is thin on this team.

N. Schultz isn’t getting run out of town either. I don’t sense any ill-will to him the way people feel about Hemsky. He just seems like the logic choice to move out.

85. fuzzy muppet says:

Kitchener,

86. Clarence Oveur says:

dessert1111,

The only way I’d trade Petry is if the player coming back takes his spot.

Otherwise, it’s the equivalent of throwing Justin Schultz to the wolves. That isn’t going to work out well.

87. striatic says:

Clarence Oveur: At the very least, he adds depth. That’s something the Oilers haven’t had on defense in a while. Depth helps you win.

opportunity cost can outweigh that.

88. Romulus Apotheosis says:

dessert1111: people

It is debatable whether “people” is an apt description of the poster pushing Petry out. Trolls aren’t human.

dessert1111: I didn’t think MacT was done but I didn’t think he’d add more non-top pair defensemen.

what are you going to think when he adds Ranger to the team?

89. russ99 says:

Bag of Pucks,

No worries for Justin Schulz, he played 83 games last year with OKC and the Oilers, and his NCAA high was 43 over the last three years.

Dude just ran out of gas. Conditioning nut Eakins will definitely help.

I hope they can keep Larsen, seems like a promising kid. Would much prefer Potter and N. Schultz moved out first.

Not sure if I like this move, but at least this kills the Gilbert rumors and at worst he’s a better extra D than Potter.

90. fuzzy muppet says:

Nick Schultz (keep 2 million in Salary) for Clifford?

91. Romulus Apotheosis says:

BM is pimping some wine.

who wants to bet a distant relation is providing a kick back?

92. böökje says:

Kitchener:
    When Tambo was fired, I thought “who cares?The group-think with Lowe will just continue with a new spokesman.”

Management under Tambellini was very different from Lowe’s as well. Tambellini was the GM. He was not a good GM and there was some influence from Lowe and Katz, but those who speak of puppets are incorrect I think.

93. Gerta Rauss says:

fuzzy muppet,

The most you can keep is half($1.75M)…but I like the thinking.

Does LA need another veteran 3rd pairing(ish) defender though..?

94. fuzzy muppet says:

Gerta Rauss,

If Mitchell goes on LTIR…yes

95. DeadmanWaking says:

wheatnoil: MacT telling the truth and MacT lying sound very much the same.

Interestingly, I’ve observed the same thing about good ideas and bad ideas.

You could not step twice into the same river; for other waters are ever flowing on to you. — Heraclitus

96. Jon K says:

The more I think about it, the more I like betting on Russian D with one year contracts.

It’s an under-utilized source of players right now, given the current “anti-Russia” climate in the NHL. There’s potential to find a player that other teams thought was unavailable or ineffective.

MacT gets a lot of competition in training camp, and maybe gets lucky if one of them turns into an NHL player.

If none of them do, we send them to the AHL or release them to the KHL. Being Russian, we can assume they’d likely just go back to the KHL.

Even if the upside to these kind of deals is limited or unlikely, there’s no real downside, and that’s why they’re smart moves, in my opinion. Quick, someone tell Gregor he’s WRONG.

97. striatic says:

fuzzy muppet: My only question is this: Are all these moves part of a Grand scheme that MacT has or is he making move just to make moves?

i’m beginning to think there’s a plan, with the Gordon signing being the key to understanding the plan.

like LT said in his last post, there seems to be a systematic attempt to clear the bottom left quadrant of the player usage chart, either by dropping players or moving players in that quadrant down the depth chart into more sheltered roles.

98. Marc says:

striatic:

It’s also worth remembering that there may never be another year where it will be easier to slip someone through waivers than this year. We’ve already seen a bunch of good NHL D clear waivers before the draft. There are still a few good NHL D without deals. I think it’s a good indication of what’s coming

There are already 4 teams over the cap and a dozen more within a couple million of it. When all of the RFA deals are done we’ll probably see a good 2/3 of the league either near the cap or over it.
    When camps open, there will only be a handful of teams with enough cap space to be able to take someone off waivers, and there may well be richer pickings than guys like Potter or Larsen as the over the cap teams try to get below the cap – keep in mind that the team has to be cap compliant before they put a player on LTIR. Unless they radically improvetheir cap situation Boston, Philly etc will have to waive some players before they can put Savard, Pronger etc on LTIR.

99. Gino says:

Starting the 2013 lockout season our defense depth was the following.

Nick Schultz, 763 NHL GAMES – Ryan Whitney, 440 NHL GAMES – Ladislav Smid, 409 NHL GAMES – Mark Fistric, 257 NHL GAMES – Theo Peckham, 156 NHL GAMES – Jeff Petry, 108 NHL GAMES – Corey Potter, 71 NHL GAMES – Justin Schultz, 0 NHL GAMES

Starting the 2013-14 season our defense looks like the following (so far)

Nick Schultz, 811 NHL GAMES – Andrew Ference, 760 NHL GAMES – Ladislav Smid, 457 NHL GAMES – Denis Grebeshkov, 227 NHL GAMES – Jeff Petry, 156 NHL GAMES – Corey Potter, 104 NHL GAMES – Philip Larsen, 95 NHL GAMES -Justin Schultz, 48 NHL GAMES – Anton Belov, 0 NHL GAMES – Oscar Klefbom, 0 NHL GAMES

Food for thought

100. böökje says:

Speaking of Lowe – remember how he was always great at finding solid Defensemen for cheap as the GM before he went crazy.

Maybe he and MacT are following suit again.

101. OilClog says:

This is fun! Musical chairs!

At the end of the day I’m going to say

Mike Green, Belov
    Ference, Jultz
    Grebs, Klef
    Larson

Why Mike Green? I have no idea?!?! MacT is confusing me about everything I know! Stuff is happening and I don’t know how to deal with it.

Run in circles screaming!

Petry, Pitlick, 2015 3rd for Green

Smid, Hemsky for Stafford

Moroz, Bunz for Clifford.

3rd line

Gordon Stafford Clifford .. Very classy sounding. Vintage even.

102. Ca$h-Money! says:

OilClog,

Smid & Hemsky for Stafford?

Buffalo would practically pay someone to take Stafford… Hemsky straight up would be fair.

103. striatic says:

Marc: It’s also worth remembering that there may never be another year where it will be easier to slip someone through waivers than this year.

good point.

it is fine to have too many defense guys during the summer, even on one way contracts. worst case scenario, you lose the worst one.

104. misfit says:

105. OilClog says:

Ca$h-Money!,

No, if that was the case Stafford would be gone.

My offer was alil over the top yes, but I’m still reeling from stuff happening.

106. Psyche says:

Off topic, but I just read this comment from PK Subban in a Sportsnet.ca interview…

On the top three Canadian forwards:

“You gotta respect the best player in the world, so I’d put Crosby in there. I’d probably say (John) Tavares. [long pause] It’s a tossup between (Jonathan) Toews and (Jordan) Eberle, so let’s go with four. Toews and Eberle.”

Great to see Eberle is so highly regarded by a peer.

107. Gerta Rauss says:

misfit:
    I have no problem with them bringing Grebs back, but what I don’t understand is why they aren’t adding another RHD amongst all the LHDs they’ve picked up?Not only that, but Gilbert is still on the market and one would imagine his asking price is getting lower by the day.I’m far more comfortable with N.Schultz/Belov/Klefbom/Ference at #3 LD than I am with Potter/Larsen at #3 RD.

It’s because we’re about to trade Nultz for the RHD we need…:)

108. striatic says:

Psyche:

i love Ebs, but putting him ahead of Stamkos is nuts.

109. spoiler says:

I don’t think the Oilers a re targeting Weber, if they’re targeting a top pairing defenseman at all.

I would think any big name Whale they go after on the blue line would be a LH shot, someone who can play next to Jultz going forward.

Phaneuf seems more likely than Weber.

But… I think its far more likely a defenseman is going out the door for a forward.

110. "Steve Smith" says:

striatic: i love Ebs, but putting him ahead of Stamkos is nuts.

…to say nothing of Patrick Kane, Richard Cloutier, and Bill Wyman.

111. spoiler says:

misfit: I have no problem with them bringing Grebs back, but what I don’t understand is why they aren’t adding another RHD amongst all the LHDs they’ve picked up? Not only that, but Gilbert is still on the market and one would imagine his asking price is getting lower by the day. I’m far more comfortable with N.Schultz/Belov/Klefbom/Ference at #3 LD than I am with Potter/Larsen at #3 RD.

Because Ference can play the right side.

112. spoiler says:

“Steve Smith”: …to say nothing of Patrick Kane, Richard Cloutier, and Bill Wyman.

Well, Cloutier at least is Canuckian. I think. The other two not so much.

113. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis: http://books.google.ca/books?id=bUNY5KzvIEYC&pg=PA109&dq=fear+and+trembling+heraclitus&hl=en&sa=X&ei=AVvoUdT7FYW24APV_YCoCw&ved=0CE0Q6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=fear%20and%20trembling%20heraclitus&f=false

Heraclitus and the motion paradox in the same thread? This blog officially wins the interwebs.

Oh to spend an afternoon on the Aegean in the company of those magnificent pre-socratics…

114. Big Dan says:

Tell tale sign an oiler is about to be dealt, like brewer b4 pronger and MPS b4 perron. Rfa status dragging on. Taylor fedun is as good as gone. I am hoping Musil is the other but think gernat is more likely.

Big Dan:
    Tell tale sign an oiler is about to be dealt, like brewer b4 pronger and MPS b4 perron.Rfa status dragging on.Taylor fedun is as good as gone.I am hoping Musil is the other but think gernat is more likely.

It’s weird isn’t it? There’s so many things–the rfa thing–Oilers often trade their rfa’s (Paajarvi) and Gagner plus Fedun are hanging out there.

Also, there’s a list of blue that goes about like this for EDM and OKC:

1. Ladislav Smid
    13. Oscar Klefbom
    14. Brad Hunt
    15. Martin Gernat
    16. David Musil
    17. Joey Leach

116. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Has anyone else realized yet that we switched ECHL teams and that the team we just affiliated with has this amazing bit of notoriety:

117. theres oil in virginia says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Went looking for the “official” story for the Grebs signing and saw the switch. I didn’t realize they were contemplating it.

Why do we do stupid shit like that to animals?

118. prairieschooner says:

Belov was considered the best defenceman in the KHL if so he has to be close to number 4 for the Oilers.He is big and mean which is what we need in the new division, he may be projected higher than we have been giving him credit for.
    If Justin needs a steady hand it will possibly be Ference.
    Petry is one of our best D men and surely not on the trading block.
    Grebs had a good spell of games with the Oil but he was also a bomb scare in his own end at times, can Smith do a better job than Huddy with the wild Russian

119. crude says:

Dead Cat Bounce:
    The Oilers have too many defensemen.

The Red Wings have too many forwards.

Jeff Petry for Justin Abdelkader.

6’1″ 220 LW.

Led the Red Wings in hits with 120.

10G 3A 13P +6 in 48GP.

Perfect.

Abdul Qadir all the way! He shows well on a Vollman (what a great site that is) compared to Clifford. Would look great alongside Gordon on the 3 line.

Trouble is, he may not be available. He’s on a reasonable salary for a few more years, is kicking out the jams, and he’s a Michigan boy.
    Worth inquiring about though that’s for sure

Anyone have any opinion on Rob Klinkhammer? Real short career so far, but held the fort in Phoenix last season.

120. SinceTheWHADays says:

fuzzy muppet:
    Kitchener,

My only question is this:Are all these moves part of a Grand scheme that MacT has or is he making move just to make moves?

121. misfit says:

spoiler: Because Ference can play the right side.

The numbers say he probably shouldn’t.

Ditto for N.Schultz. I remember Tambellini saying he could play both sides when we acquired him, but Minny fans said he was primarily a LD for them, and even when he played with another LD in his 1.5 seasons in EDM, it was the other guy who moved to the right. Apparently they say Belov can play RD, but I don’t know if I believe that either. He probably plays there on the powerplay, but I would imagine he probably plays the left at ES.

122. Jordan says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

Judging solely on the video link, this ECHL team seems just bush league enough to run with our Oilers.

theres oil in virginia:
    Romulus Apotheosis,
    Went looking for the “official” story for the Grebs signing and saw the switch.I didn’t realize they were contemplating it.

Why do we do stupid shit like that to animals?

Because giant monkeys are genetically programmed to do stupid shit and think it’s a brilliant plan.

123. Ca$h-Money! says:

crude,

I have an opinion of Klinkhammer: Schrewd.

He’s looking to buy a house in Lethbridge, but only wants to spend mid-market money. Almost like he realises the good times might not last forever and doesn’t want to commit future income that may or may not exist. It’s weirdly rational and I respect the hell out of the decision, even if it prevents me from selling a high end lot.

124. spoiler says:

misfit: The numbers say he probably shouldn’t.

125. Romulus Apotheosis says:

spoiler: Well we all saw Ference play the right side in the Stanley Cup Finals, so I’m thinking that’s a little different than Nultz.

I think people are thinking of these things:

But we have no idea how MacT has constructed this team to actually play or how Eakins will run his players and given the log-jam at LD, I think you’ve got a pretty fair assumption that Ference and/or N. Schultz (if he remains) will see some TOI on the RD.

126. Magnus says:

Can we sign some Russian centers now? Please?
    Unless Grebs can take a mean face off…

127. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

This was rumoured long ago… why now I wonder.

128. bendelson says:

Jordan,

The condor incident aside, the Bakerfield org. seems like a natural fit for the Oilers…
    Hint: check the standings over the past couple of seasons.

129. Romulus Apotheosis says:

bendelson:
    Jordan,

Hint:check the standings over the past couple of seasons.

I’m actually less curious about signing up with them then abandoning Stockton… they have right? they’re not going to have two ECHL teams, right?

130. bendelson says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I believe they have though I don’t know if ‘abandon’ is the correct term. It may have something to do withe the city of Stockton’s current bankruptcy – exactly how it’s related I couldn’t say…

131. Romulus Apotheosis says:

bendelson:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

I believe they have though I don’t know if ‘abandon’ is the correct term.It may have something to do withe the city of Stockton’s current bankruptcy – exactly how it’s related I couldn’t say…

“bringing their business relationship to an amicable end”?

132. bendelson says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Something like that…

Sounds like Stockton has bigger issues to deal with…

Interestingly, Stockton recently built a shiny new arena for the Thunder – funded by the taxpayer no less…

böökje:

Maybe he and MacT are following suit again.

Oh God I hope.

134. dangilitis says:

Trading petry Smid make no sense as they are not necessarily 1st pairing but easily top 4 Dmen. Don’t trade these guys as you create new holes. Unwise to trade Smid as a lot of this depth is here on 1 yr try outs and Smid is a sure thing, unless what your getting back is truly better and also has good term.
    J Schultz ain’t going, nor is ference.
    At this time that’s a lousy top 4 relative to league. Mostly because ference and Schultz are being counted in roles 1-2 spots above comfort zone. Schultz should be playing to take ferences spot next year in top 4 and we need a top 2 dman back.

Belov nick and grebs is an above average bottom pairing. Converting nick into another legitimate top 4 is a better way to go to push Justin down for the year to play with belov and or grebs. Yes they’re all new but they will face easier competition

135. Ozbargain says:

Hey LT, first time poster and I have to say this is a great blog and my goto for oiler news.

Maybe MacT is planning to trade no one and use all these extra depth defenceman to ease the rookies in and to potentially save an entry level contract year of a rookie. The problem is we have rookie dmen that may not be able to handle NHL level competition and in 2-3 yrs we might start having cap issues. So why not bring in a bunch of depth guys on one year contracts and move the rookies up for a few games over the season.

Say for example Klefbom just beat out Larsen and makes the squad, he plays kind of ok the first few games. Larsen is in OKC and is playing very well. They tell Klefbom he is going back because he is ok but could use more development time and we want to give Larsen another chance. He understands and Larsen comes up and we save another year of Klefboms ELC. As defenceman take long to develop, it wont hurt that Klefbom goes back.

136. Hammers says:

SinceTheWHADays: MacT is a smart guy…I think it’s like he’s enjoying a game of chess, moving pieces around and patiently waiting to grap a good piece off another GM, or trading a couple of pawns for a rook. But he was a smart player, smart coach, smart person and it looks like he’s a smart GM too.

Sounds like more and more fans are coming around .Love it .

137. Clarkenstein says:

Ok, it’s official. MacT is just throwing shit against the wall!