OILERS SIGN FEDUN

The Edmonton Oilers and Taylor Fedun agreed to terms today, it’s a one year deal and Fedun is likely headed to OKC for the year. Fedun enjoyed a strong season in 2012-13, a big deal after he lost an entire season to Eric Nystrom’s decision making in training camp a couple of year’s ago.

I had him ranked as the #18 prospect in the system at Christmas but he’d moved up to #12 in the summer top 30 because of a splendid season in the AHL. And you know, if Steve Tambellini were still GM we’d be talking about Fedun as a legit option for the NHL club this fall, maybe 8 or 9 on the depth chart. However, Craig MacTavish took over as GM and has added two Russians, a legit NHL veteran, a younger guy than Fedun with more NHL experience (Phil Larsen) and gave a ringing endorsement to some guy from Sweden. I’d put Fedun’s chances of spending time in the NHL this coming season at less than 25% now, well down from the spring (pre Belov signing). The odds of his having an NHL career (200+ games) was always low, but at this point the depth chart must look a little daunting:

1. Ladislav Smid

12. Taylor Fedun
13. Brandon Davidson
14. Brad Hunt
15. Martin Gernat
16. David Musil
17. Joey Leach

Fedun had a helluva season, he really did. However, he’s blocked six ways to Sunday–Larsen is 19 months younger and has 95 NHL games experience, Belov & Grebeshkov were signed by the new GM who has a mandate to clear out the also-rans and upgrade the group, and looking for injuries is tougher than it was a year ago (Whitney, etc). I’ll be cheering like crazy for Fedun–one of 5 RHers on the roster who might see NHL action this season–but this depth chart is a monster for him.

I expect he’ll come to camp looking to get noticed and I hope he does. Fedun’s story is one of overcoming odds, so he’s not likely to fade from the battle.

(Fedun photo by Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved).

14 Responses to "OILERS SIGN FEDUN"

1. bookje says:

Hope the guy gets a chance and runs, well skates, with it.

2. Bar_Qu says:

Cheering like mad for the guy to make an NHL career.

3. Ribs says:

8. Phil Larsen

Its crazy how much luck/timing can factor into a NHL career.

If Fedun doesn’t gets injured he had a real shot at NHL minutes on Tambellini’s D-deficient Oilers.

Instead the window closes with a bang inside the Oilers org unless he absolutely kills it.

If he’s as good as advertised, some NHL doing their AHL homework might pick him up for a song from the Oilers.

5. G Money says:

Is it such a bad thing for him to play another year in the AHL?

It’s not like it’s a death sentence – the guy’s playing hockey for a living for God’s sake!

Ribs: I think when you call him Phil instead of Philip he grows about two inches and suddenly has a mustache somehow.

I have the perverse hope that they call him “Philly” and nickname him “Cheese Steak”.

Who is the last “Phil” to play for the Oilers? I’m trying but I can’t think of one.

6. Tarkus says:

Who is the last “Phil” to play for the Oilers?I’m trying but I can’t think of one.

That would be Cornet.

7. HugThePost says:

you have to think MacT is going to be moving some D out in some kind of trade to shore up the bottom 6; hopefully that will allow Taylor to move up the depth chart here.

He’s a great story and I’m certain every fan is cheering for him to hit it big.

8. G Money says:

Tarkus: That would be Cornet.

Right! He played, like, a game or so as I recall.

Any full season, or at least, most of a season, Phils in recent memory???

Just trying to establish a Phil:Ryan ratio, and assess the optimality thereof.

9. Tarkus says:

G Money: Right!He played, like, a game or so as I recall.

Any full season, or at least, most of a season, Phils in recent memory???

Just trying to establish a Phil:Ryan ratio, and assess the optimality thereof.

2 games, actually. And he was scoring at a 0.5 PPG clip!

Sadly, he’s the one and only Phil / Philippe / Philemon / Philoslav to see game action with the Oil thus far:

10. G Money says:

Tarkus: 2 games, actually.And he was scoring at a 0.5 PPG clip!

Wow … when you combine the facts that since the last time we were in the playoffs
    - the one and only Phil has scored at 0.5 ppg AND
    - our games played Phil:Ryan ratio is 2:741

QED it seems pretty obvious that if we are to make the playoffs, we NEED Philly “Cheese Steak” Larson to make this team!

(And I didn’t even count bRYAN or kYNtnAR or dwAYNe Roloson)

11. Tarkus says:

Toronto’s P:R ratio in that time frame is 322:45. Should we be following the Toronto model?

BTW, the Flames’ suckitude can be attributed to the fact they’ve only had one Ryan play for them. EVER. And even then, it was only 2 games.

12. Hammers says:

He still may be a trade chip with say Hemsky .

13. Cobbler says:

Woodguy,

It’s funny how we devote a lot of time to draft pedigree, reach picks when evaluating prospects only for organizational changes or circumstance to upset the apple cart.

I think this is what makes prospect success so difficult to quantify. There is potential, which there seems to be a general metric or feeling for, and then there are the intangibles.

I hope a guy like Fedun beats the odds.

14. Ivan says:

I agree with most of you, I’m rooting for this kid like crazy.