The Edmonton Oilers have re-signed winger Ryan Jones.
Jones had a tough year this past season, owing mostly to a freak eye injury suffered while waiting out the lockout during a scrimmage with other NHLers. He played in a soft minutes role this past sesason (4th line competition, solid linemates) but couldn’t deliver enough offensively (although his shot differential against the soft parade compared to his teammates was solid).
Ryan Jones 12-13
- 5×5 points per 60: 1.38 (7th among regular forwards)
- 5×4 points per 60: nil
- Qual Comp: 14th toughest faced among regular forwards
- Qual Team: 5th best available teammates among regular forwards
- Corsi Rel: -1.0 (5th best among regular forwards) (-13.85 CorsiON)
- Zone Start: 45.4% (10th toughest, 6th easiest among regular forwards)
- Zone Finish: 46.8% (12th best among regular forwards)
- Shots on goal/percentage: 38/5.26% (8th among F’s >35shots)
- Boxcars: 25, 2-5-7
- Plus Minus: E on a team that was -15
Jones has an excellent opportunity with the Oilers in transition this season, and if he can return to offensive form of previous years (and the Oilers are unable to fill bottom 6F holes outside the organization) he might play top 9F minutes.
It is a one year deal. Jones likely slots into the 14F as follows:
Hemsky is likely to be traded over the summer and there’s a chance the club will add that physical 2line W as well. The roster is filling up.