OILERS SIGN JONES

The Edmonton Oilers have re-signed winger Ryan Jones.

jones signs

Jones had a tough year this past season, owing mostly to a freak eye injury  suffered while waiting out the lockout during a scrimmage with other NHLers. He played in a soft minutes role this past sesason (4th line competition, solid linemates) but couldn’t deliver enough offensively (although his shot differential against the soft parade compared to his teammates was solid).

Ryan Jones 12-13

• 5×5 points per 60: 1.38 (7th among regular forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: nil
  • Qual Comp: 14th toughest faced among regular forwards
  • Qual Team: 5th best available teammates among regular forwards
  • Corsi Rel: -1.0 (5th best among regular forwards) (-13.85 CorsiON)
  • Zone Start: 45.4% (10th toughest, 6th easiest among regular forwards)
  • Zone Finish: 46.8% (12th best among regular forwards)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 38/5.26% (8th among F’s >35shots)
  • Boxcars: 25, 2-5-7
  • Plus Minus: E on a team that was -15

Jones has an excellent opportunity with the Oilers in transition this season, and if he can return to offensive form of previous years (and the Oilers are unable to fill bottom 6F holes outside the organization) he might play top 9F minutes.

It is a one year deal. Jones likely slots into the 14F as follows:

• Hall-Eberle
  • Yakupov-Hemsky
  • Paajarvi-Joensu
  • Smyth-Jones
  • Brown

Hemsky is likely to be traded over the summer and there’s a chance the club will add that physical 2line W as well. The roster is filling up.

215 Responses to "OILERS SIGN JONES"

Newer Comments »
  1. BlacqueJacque says:

Chronically under-rated and under-appreciated. Manages to create his own scoring opportunities where there seemingly are none. Scores goals in a way the Oilers need to score goals. Can play both wings and accepts his role even as a fourth liner.

2. dessert1111 says:

I am happy he is back on a 1-year deal. Versatile, can PK, can score, and can be an extra forward.

A lot of guys in these parts won’t like the re-signing, but I am very excited he’s coming back :D

3. D says:

Nice! I’m a big fan of Jones.

4. Milli says:

I am glad we re-signed him. He had a tough season, but I think he will return to form this year, brings energy everynight.

5. gr8one says:

BlacqueJacque:
    Chronically under-rated and under-appreciated.Manages to create his own scoring opportunities where there seemingly are none.Scores goals in a way the Oilers need to score goals.Can play both wings and accepts his role even as a fourth liner.

I like it as long as he’s on the 4th line, really not a fan if they’re pencilling him on L3.

6. striatic says:

Chronically under-rated and under-appreciated and … not quite good enough to fill a slot on a contending team.

fortunately the Oilers aren’t a contending team, so he’ll fit in fine for another couple of years.

7. Racki says:

Love it! I’m one fan that appreciates Jones. Quality locker room guy, and he can really contribute when he’s on his game. Last year wasn’t very good, but I consider it a bit of anomaly. Plus who knows how much the eye affected him. Looking forward to him being back. A 1-year deal is perfect too, as it doesn’t give him that “I can just sit back and relax” comfort.

He has the ability to move up the lineup (although not too far up). I’d say he’s ahead of Joensuu, but who knows.. maybe Joensuu will surprise. Jones just has to go back to what made him good with us the first two years. Grind it out with some similar players. I think if he paired with Gordon, they would do well together.

8. striatic says:

basically what i’m saying is that the available UFAs to fill his role weren’t significantly better than him, so it is a pretty easy decision to sign him as a fan favourite.

9. Professor Q says:

I have always liked Jones. Looks like Dr. Spencer Reid from Criminal Minds as well.

10. SoxandOil says:

I think Brad Boyes would have been a better fit as he can at least take more then his fair share of faceoffs but Jones for a 1 year deal is fine.

11. lazerguidedmelody says:

Always cheered for Jones. Based purely on the fact that he’s a fellow long hair.

12. Maestro Fresh Mess says:

Professor Q,

He looks more like Jack White

13. G Money says:

Glad to see him back. (Said it so often I will *almost* take credit for predicting it!).

Think he’ll do just fine a 4R, a much better option than Brown to be honest. If the NewIsMental can displace him, fantastic, and if he can’t – depth.

I think you run into Jones’ well-documented defensive concerns when you play him higher up the lineup, but at least he has the hands to be able to do that once in a while. Just not too often please!

OK, MacT, one more bottom 6 hole filled, lets get on that big 2L and ideally at the very least a 4C!

14. Bar_Qu says:

Its true there are no UFAs better suited for the role he can fill, so why not sign him?

I’m sure WG is rejoicing right now. *ducks*

15. major says:

The plan is taking shape: a Smyth – Gordon – Jones 3rd line in the making, and a “nordic” 4th line: Paajarvi – Ladner – Jones

I guess that means hemsky + picks / prospects is part of the package for the physical 2LW. Still not sure where the #1D is coming from.

16. shane leavitt says:

Hemsky 24
    Petrell 21
    Eager 19
    Hartikainen 18
    Brown 15

18. leadfarmer says:

Khabiboozin to Chicago for 2 mil. Lots of money to heal groin pulls and his every other game injuries.

shane leavitt:
    Oh dear. Awful lot of Ryan Jones fans in here. *backs away*

Helluva run there, wasn’t it? Lordy.

20. Kris11 says:

Oh MacT. I was willing to defend you on the Ference signing and offering money to Clarkson.

But Jones is a bridge too far.

This just goes to show that MacT is far from perfect.

Ryan Jones is a nice guy, but a bad hockey player. But at least it is a one-year mistake by MacT on Jones, and not a 4-year mistake on Nystrom.

This one is a mystery to me. Smyth is on the roster and now Jones too? Hard to see this as progress, and in fact we are still waiting for a suitable Gordon-Paajarvi winger for the 3line (although I do like the sounds of Joensu).

23. gogliano says:

Makes his own scoring chances = flees the zone early and is late coming back.

I hope he is pencilled in as a 14F. Not a fan of this signing. Amazed at the # of Jones fans up above.

24. OilClog says:

Ryan Jones is a more then serviceable 4th line winger.. or is Mike Brown a better option? Ryan Jones is pretty much the Oilers most successful waiver pick up ever.. No harm in a one year deal, zero.

25. OilClog says:

gogliano:
    Makes his own scoring chances = flees the zone early and is late coming back.

I hope he is pencilled in as a 14F.Not a fan of this signing.Amazed at the # of Jones fans up above.

Have we had anyone in the bottom 6 in the last 7 years out score what Jones has done? Atleast someone in the bottom 6 tries to score. I mean we could pile up some more Bermuda triangles but..

26. Mr DeBakey says:

Woofuckinhoo!

Give me strength Lawd

Maybe its time to change the blog title to “The Patience of Job”

27. FastOil says:

If Ryan wants to do things that help the team fine. He can, just hasn’t shown the willingness so far.

Eakins will force him to play defence 5v5. If he also uses his hitting to separate a player from the puck and sustain a fore check, instead of making a token crash into the boards beside an opponent to register a “hit”, I’m good with it.

He has to move from fringe player who popped some goals at the expense of the greater good to valuable bottom 6 player.

Given the options I understand the signing but he has so far been a detriment overall to the team IMO. His goals didn’t put the Oilers in the playoffs did they? But him getting wailed on by opponents too often and his self serving play contributed to it. It is a new day for all so I hope for the best.

28. dessert1111 says:

For those of you who don’t like the signing, who is a better player the Oilers can realistically get for the same role? PK, scoring upside, can HS and not a big deal, seems to get along with the core. Not a lot of risk in a 1 year deal; I bet he could’ve gotten more years elsewhere.

I don’t think this is MacT’s last move. He’ll add a centre and 1 or 2 more wingers. If the 4th line were Brown-Lander-Jones, I’d agree that’s not good; but I think it will be more along the lines of 2 more bottom 6 players brought in and Brown and Eager buried/traded.

Would you still be upset if Jones and Smyth were the 13th and 14th forwards and Lander was in the AHL to start the year?

29. G Money says:

Lowetide: the 4line is now basically Lander-Smyth-Jones/Brown and that’s last year. LE sigh.

If we get a serviceable 4C, then a Smyth-NHL player-Jones as a fourth line seems pretty good to me.

But Smyth-Lander-Jones, or worse still Jones-Smyth-Brown will continue to be a gaping wound bleeding shots, chances, goals for another year.

If we learned anything from last year, it’s the importance of good players on the 3rd and 4th lines.

We did learn it, right MacT? Right? Right? <crickets>

First, Ryan Jones wasn’t a key element on the PK, his 1:23 ranks 8th among Oiler forwards this past season–Sam Gagner PK’d more as an example.

Second, if he’s $900k (or about where Jonesu is) and comes in and tries for the club and the new coach makes it, fine. But if there’s ANY sense of bringing back another piece of a successful group then the entire script is lost.

Teams need to make guys earn this kind of loyalty.

31. TheOtherJohn says:

MacT isn’t perfect. Godot it took you 3 years to say that about Tambellini. Could you give him a chance before criticizing him. Oh, holy shit he offered $6m per to Clarkson. I agree with you completely

If Smyth, Gordon and Jones is our 3rd line we will have a shot at Connor McDavid. Smyth and Jones would get killed by QComp

Jones should be a 14th forward. On the Oilers he’ll dress. Pity because this signing is an acknowledgment the 8-10 player turnover is harder to do than MacT thought

TheOtherJohn:

Great post.

33. OilClog says:

TheOtherJohn:

I think I’m at a loss here, but Smyth was getting killed due to playing completely out of a career long position.. and his terrible terrible wingers.. Petrell, Eager, Hordichuk, Brown.. I mean.. Anyone on the damn team is going to get killed stuck with those guys.. Smyth is aging, slowing down, no doubt about it. But he wouldn’t look so damn finished if we didn’t lead him straight to the slaughter house.

34. cabbiesmacker says:

major:

I guess that means hemsky + picks / prospects is part of the package for the physical 2LW.Still not sure where the #1D is coming from.

Or the top 6 C and 2LW right?

35. cabbiesmacker says:

godot10:
    This just goes to show that MacT is far from perfect.

Just this?

Clutterbuck. Frolik. Not taking Nichushkin. Bolland. Emery. Prepared to massively overpay for Clarkson. Announcing Horcoff and Hemsky’s availability a month early. Etc. Etc. Etc ad nauseum

The man’s in over his head…..which is to be expected of course. He was never qualified in the first place.

Go Oilers. To boldly go where…….

F me. If Capt. Kirk had been this big a puss the enterprise would have been circling the moon for 6 years.

36. VanOil says:

The Damn old Rexall ice plant will get a showing up this season as Jones consistently trips over the blue lines and causes the ice to tilt the wrong way. Cherry will be happy though, some one he can cheer for on the Oilers after insulting Yak for the umpteenth time in a season.

Well, if you’re going to post MacT rips, this is the thread to do it in. Not like I can claim a plan for this one.

38. Manitoba Oilers says:

Sign Brunner and trade for Evander Kane

39. TheOtherJohn says:

When Smyth is hooking guys on the forecheck in the offensive zone it means his legs are gone. Thats not the fault of his linemates

Joensu contract

two years, $950k cap hit.

Ryan Jones was $1.5M a year ago. Guesses about what this contract is?

41. cabbiesmacker says:

cabbiesmacker: I actually don’t mind this one. As long as he’s not for line 3 at $2.5 per which is the Oiler’s modus operandi

43. TheOtherJohn says:

I am not upset with MacT so far, he’s definitely trying. Clarkson would have been a BIG BIG mistake. Dodged a bullet. Nystrom at $10m is s idiculous contract, pass. We did not have a Niederitter to get Clutterbuck. Frolik was puzzling.

I like Penner & Gilbert or Grabovski but suspect that an’t gonna happen

Leaves us trades or RFA offer sheets

44. "Steve Smith" says:

I also saw one of the MSM guys – can’t remember who, but I think it might have been Matheson – comment, in the wake of the Belanger buyout, that the Oilers were apparently going to give Ben Eager another shot. I’m hoping his sole basis for that statement was the lack of buyout.

45. TheOtherJohn says:

Suspect MacT is learning to play chess, could become quite proficient. Other guy was getting killed playing checkers! Unfortunately 4-5 GMs are very good at playing GO.

46. Gerta Rauss says:

I’ve been trying to be patient and stay positive the last week, knowing these things take time. But this team is starting to resemble the same group that was on the ice last year, and that’s not good.

Not good at all.

TheOtherJohn:

I criticized Tambellini for giving Jones his last two year contract, basically the same way. “Jones is a nice guy. Bad hockey player.”.

Same player. Same criticism. Two different GM’s.

I don’t believe I ever claimed Tambellini was a good GM. Although, I was one of the few who would point out or identify particular things he did that were good. I tend to support or criticize particular things, and eventually come to an overall conclusion.

I opposed whale-hunting. i.e. I opposed the Khabibulin signing. I opposed the Heatley pursuit. I opposed the Souray signing. I opposed it when Tambellini did it, and I still pretty much oppose it now when MacT is trying to do it. (i.e. I am opposed to Weber, to Clarkson, to Clowe, to Weiss).

I was mostly opposed to the Hemsky re-signed. (I was for choosing Penner over Hemsky in the LA deal). I was mostly opposed to bringing Ryan Smyth back.

I was mostly opposed to his and Renney’s handling of Paajarvi.

I was opposed to the mandatory goon.

Most of my posts tend to be contrarian, because if I agree with something, I am far less likely to post.

48. BlacqueJacque says:

Jones is the least of the problems on the 4th line, provided he’s recovered his vision. I think Lander can develop into a player and is worth keeping – in the AHL for one more season – but Smyth and Brown need to go. Smyth can’t skate any more, and Brown handles the puck like an epileptic on bath salts plays pinball.

49. Pablo Aimar says:

cabbiesmacker,

i think the Gordon signing was really good. Everything else has been meh or bad. Sigh.

50. jp says:

TheOtherJohn:

Out: Horcoff, Belanger, Petrell, Smithson, Hordichuk, Whitney, Fistric, Peckham, Khabi
    In: Gordon, Joensuu, Ference, Belov, Larsen, Labarbera

Already 9 out and 6 in, with some cap space sitting there, and Hemsky yet to be moved. No luck yet filling the big holes (2LW, 1-2D, big 2C), but it looks like the 8-10 player turnover was realistic.

Certainly not a full overhaul of the bottom 6F, but 5-8 D are completely new.

Also, it’s looking a lot more like Gagner will be remaining at 2C rather than being moved to the wing. By far the most glaring hole left is at 2LW.

Ryan Jones was $1.5M a year ago. Guesses about what this contract is?

Must be less if he had to think about it. I’ll say 1.2M.

51. WheresYourTowel says:

I can’t claim to understand this signing. I always liked Jones but I’ve come around to believing the Oilers should move on from him.

The issue isn’t necessarily Jones himself, but where he ends up on your depth chart. If Ryan Jones is creeping into your Top-9 it indicates poor overall skill and depth.

Hard not to cheer for an underdog though. Here’s to hoping Jonesy can SIUTBOHC.

52. cabbiesmacker says:

Lowetide: But cabbie, with that bottom 6 a trainwreck how do you improve it when bringing back Smyth, Jones, Lander and Brown? Gordon is a very nice addition and I do like Joensu, but the overhaul needed to be more imo.

I hear ya LT. I really like the Gordon and Joensu moves. I think Joensu surprises. A lot. Already unstitching Hartikainen’s name plate from the away jersey.

I was hoping that MacT would let Smytty down easy to be honest. Maybe he still will. Love the guy but damn…not much gas in the tank anymore I don’t think. Brown is likely on the next train to somewhere.

Like WG I think a big splash is yet to come. Hemsky +.high pick,…maybe Gagner despite MacT’s protestaions to the contrary, maybe a couple of depth D, maybe MPS which would be a mistake BUT, that 2LW and 2C have to come from somewhere.

Not too worried about a 4th line getting 6 minutes a night if the top 9 can make things happen.

Gordon – MPS – ? for a #3 should be pretty decent but they may think MPS is a top 6 lock right now.

53. Racki says:

Joensu contract

two years, $950k cap hit.

Ryan Jones was $1.5M a year ago. Guesses about what this contract is?

My guess is it’s no higher, given the bad year he just had. I don’t see this at all as a bad thing though, bringing Jones back. I think he’s a solid winger. They could stand to improve up the middle, however, but Jones is doing no harm being here on the wing over other guys.

54. BlacqueJacque says:

Gerta Rauss:

Not good at all.

It more or less is the same team.

We replaced Horcoff with Gordon (his younger, more frequently injured equivalent), and threw in another fading defenceman to make sure that Schultz doesn’t fall off a cliff alone. Joensu is Petrell and … who else did we get?

I defy anyone, LT included, to say that at least on first impression, Tambo’s big splash of Eager-Belanger-Hordi didn’t look better than what we have now.

As soon as Mac saw that Grabo was available, he should have abandoned the HMCS Boyd Gordon like it had just been struck by a nuclear torpedo and went for Grabo.

The Ference signing is inexcusable. Term, dollars, and even organizational need don’t justify it.

55. TheOtherJohn says:

You are really counting Hordichuk as a departure? Anyone else on OKC you want to count as well? Yann Danis?

Trade for Brouwer

56. Racki says:

jp:

I’ve always been a big supporter of Gagner, but I have been beating the drum for a bit now that we need a better #2C. I think Gagner would be great on the LW though, so I’m hoping that MacT’s “bold” move comes in the form of trading for a young, big centreman. I know those are coveted assets that GMs never trade, but maybe we can deal from a position of strength (one of those young blue liners) and reel in a nice #2C.

57. speeds says:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
    ???-Gagner-Yakupov
    Paajarvi-Gordon-???
    Smyth-???-Jones
    Brown-Joensuu

Is that the likely look of things right now, assuming Hemsky is certain to be gone?

58. prairieschooner says:

From LT on April 29th
    MacT spoke today about role players, about getting better bottom 6F’s who could deliver more in all areas of the game. He made a tremendous statement about the 3 and 4 lines:

•”We had a lot of guys that the best they were going to be in any given game was a non-factor.”

If you’re an Oiler forward who spent significant time in the bottom 6 and didn’t deliver offense, that’s an absolutely chilling statement.

5×5/60 (bottom 6F)

1.Ryan Jones 1.38
    2.Lennart Petrell 1.36
    3.Shawn Horcoff 1.34
    4.Ryan Smyth 1.23
    5.Eric Belanger 0.66
    6.Mike Brown 0.42
    7.Teemu Hartikainen nil

From that list, we can be pretty certain about Horcoff, fairly certain about Smyth and Brown, and at least include Jones as a “possible” for this coming year

59. TheOtherJohn says:

Mother of God Speeds never pencil M Brown In the lineup, it puts the lie to the notion that the Oilers have embraced analytics

60. BlacqueJacque says:

Oh hey, Ference has a NMC.

Yeah, he’s definitely not a buyout target for 2015.

prairieschooner:

speeds:
    Hall-RNH-Eberle
    ???-Gagner-Yakupov
    Paajarvi-Gordon-???
    Smyth-???-Jones
    Brown-Joensuu

Yes. I’d say so, except you have the C’s in the wrong spot. :-)

63. shane leavitt says:

OilClog,

“Ryan Jones is a more then serviceable 4th line winger… Ryan Jones is pretty much the Oilers most successful waiver pick up ever.. No harm in a one year deal, zero.”

Ya, who needs to improve on finishing 24th. It’s just a privilege to be able to watch an NHL team.

64. BlacqueJacque says:

Opening night lineups as of now, if I were to guess:

Hall-Nuge-Ebs
    MPS-Gagner-Yakupov
    Jones-Gordon-Hemsky
    Smyth-Lander-Joensu

I doubt Hemsky will be dealt before the deadline, so unless MacT is willing to dish picks for players, that’s probably what we’ll see.

65. leadfarmer says:

I mind Jones on the 4th line a lot less that Lander next year. For the love of God, let him develop in okc.

66. Captain Happy says:

Mentioned it earlier…the STL Blues have just signed Derek Roy to a 1 year 4 million dollar deal and are shopping David Perron.

6’0″ 200 RH shot C/LW.

Perfect fit for the Oilers second line.

Hemsky +

Get it done.

67. speeds says:

You mean the center?

68. spoiler says:

TheOtherJohn:

He didn’t. He had him listed as the 13th foward, even with the lineup holes.

69. BlacqueJacque says:

Captain Happy,

Agreed on getting Perron, but the Blues have Stewart, Backes, and Tarasenko on the right wing.

70. OilClog says:

shane leavitt:
    OilClog,

Actually 24th was an improvement from the year previous, what didn’t improve was when Jones was out of the line up and no one we had could fill his void, goal sucking or not.

Jones as a 4th line winger on a one year contract.. isn’t a terrible thing. He’s an actual FT NHL player.

71. theres oil in virginia says:

speeds:
    Hall-RNH-Eberle
    ???-Gagner-Yakupov
    Paajarvi-Gordon-???
    Smyth-???-Jones
    Brown-Joensuu

Aah, this is nice looking. Easy-to-read L-C-R. (Although the lineup could use some improvement!)

Fuck C-L-R. There, I said it…it needed to be said. I’m prepared for my punishment.

PS – There sure is a lot of angst in the room these days.

72. jp says:

TheOtherJohn:

Trade for Brouwer

Well, he was on a 1 way contract and started the year with the team. But yeah, he did only play 8 min with the Oilers. Remove him from the list if you like, it doesn’t change that there will almost certainly be exactly the expected amount of roster turnover.

73. Captain Happy says:

CapGeek ‏@capgeek 36m

Andrew Ference picks up a $1M signing bonus and a NMC from the #NHLOilers. http://www.capgeek.com/player/227

Ryan Jones:

11/12 12/14
    12/13 10/15

5v5 pts/60

10/11 7/13
    11/12 8/14
    12/13 7/15

Just one great big pile of meh.

Maybe MacT was thinking “You know what we’re missing? A guy who always last on the back check, ineffective on the forecheck, out of position in the Dzone and flys the zone for break away passes before the team establishes possession”

I don’t get this at all.

If they play him with Gordon, poor Gordon will get buried.

Here is every player that Jones has played 99 minutes with or more since 2010/11 season and their time on ice together.

CF% = Shot attempt differential (50% is a saw off)

Team mate – TOI – CF% together – team mate apart – difference

SUTTON, ANDY 157:05:00 51.8 45.6 6.2
    NUGENT-HOPKINS, RYAN 147:34:00 43.4 49.7 -6.3
    STRUDWICK, JASON 131:20:00 39.6 41.2 -1.6
    LANDER, ANTON 130:45:00 44.5 43.7 0.8
    EAGER, BEN 124:52:00 43.5 44.1 -0.6
    BRULE, GILBERT 99:00:00 34.5 46.7 -12.2

19/24 Players get a worse shot attempts when playing with Jones.

As we saw in the first tables, Jones plays against pretty meh competition, so that fact that players get worst with him is an even worse indictment of his play.

Awful signing.

Throwing massive money and terms at Clarkson was terrible.

Giving a lot of term to a 34 year old Dman isn’t smart.

This is just fucking stupid.

75. BlacqueJacque says:

Woodguy,

A lot of term and a NMC for a 34 year old defenceman.

76. Captain Happy says:

BlacqueJacque:
    Captain Happy,

Just looking at their depth chart:

C – Backes, Berglund, Roy, Oshie, Sobotka, Lapierre, Aucoin (jeebus)

LW – Perron, Steen, Jaden Scwhartz, Porter, Jaskins

RW – Tarasenko, Stewart, Ty Rattie, Cracknell,

Backes is a natural centre but any way you slice it, they have too many forwards (nice problem).

Rather than Hemsky, they might be interested in Paajarvi and a draft pick since their D and G are just loaded as well.

77. Магия¹º says:

Captain Happy:
    CapGeek ‏@capgeek 36m

We need a Smith or another Jones to play between Jones-U and Jones-Y.

speeds:

You mean the center?

yeah.

79. spoiler says:

Магия¹º: Please tell me that the NMC is for the first 2 years only. Please. We’ll need to send him to an in division team then like when Staois ran out of gas.

We need a Smith or another Jones to play between Jones-U and Jones-Y.

Ference’s intent is obviously to finish his career with the team he loves.

80. TheOtherJohn says:

Sorry Speeds, my mistake

If trading with StL love Ryan Reaves

81. Captain Happy says:

spoiler: Ference’s intent is obviously to finish his career with the team he loves.

Whether the team likes it or not, apparently.

82. sumaclab says:

jp,

You undervalue the Acton and Hamilton signings. They may have been AHLer’s last year but Eakins was their coach so there may be an insiders perspective to their play. Acton may play minutes on the 4th line. So far 9 out 10 in. signed a goalie to for OKC.

83. G Money says:

BlacqueJacque:
    Oh hey, Ference has a NMC.

Yeah, he’s definitely not a buyout target for 2015.

Does an NMC affect the ability of a team to buy out a player? I didn’t think it did.

84. prairieschooner says:

So there are no fire breathing dragons available to replace a bottom six whose collective outer marker was “non event”?
    If more of the same was unacceptable to Mac T then signing Jones has to be an admission of defeat.
    A change of personnel would at least be trying, this was capitulation!

85. OilClog says:

SMID, LADISLAV 758:31:00 44.1 47.3 -3.2
    PETRY, JEFF 583:29:00 46.7 48.2 -1.5
    HORCOFF, SHAWN 500:48:00 46 47 -1
    GILBERT, TOM 497:36:00 44.4 49 -4.6
    PECKHAM, THEO 434:48:00 42.4 45.3 -2.9
    SMYTH, RYAN 390:54:00 47.8 49.2 -1.4
    GAGNER, SAM 356:35:00 45.3 47.4 -2.1
    PAAJARVI, MAGNUS 261:53:00 47.2 47.4 -0.2
    COGLIANO, ANDREW 248:31:00 49.5 48.4 1.1
    EBERLE, JORDAN 221:08:00 49.1 48.9 0.2
    SUTTON, ANDY 157:05:00 51.8 45.6 6.2
    NUGENT-HOPKINS, RYAN 147:34:00 43.4 49.7 -6.3

These are the players I would want before Jones on that list of 24. He’s a middle of the pack player when healthy.

these numbers aren’t the end of the world, look at the players on that list and their usual assignments.. so if Jones is on the ice for that.. Probably means heavier minutes against tougher comps no.. It’s not the end of the world for someone to be thinking of goals first.. I know I know.. He’s not good enough to think that way.. but damn it.. I love his determination and thrill about it.. He plays the game with a smile on his face, it’s refreshing. He’s far from perfect but on a 4th line role he’s not hurting the team.

I believe lots of forwards look at the cluster here, if they want any premium playing time.. they’re not really going to have a shot, unless they’re a power LW/C.. Our field of options isn’t going to be that gorgeous. With Jones we know what we’re dealing with, that has a possibilty of 15g in a bottom 6 role. We have to take it.

“I’m really excited. It’s no secret that I love being in Edmonton and love playing for Edmonton.”

86. striatic says:

sumaclab: You undervalue the Acton and Hamilton signings.

Hamilton will be a legitimate challenger for a 4th line role, but if Acton is playing in the NHL without shooting the lights out in the AHL first, something is very very wrong.

87. shane leavitt says:

OilClog,

No one being able to “fill his void” or the massive holes at center after the injuries was the dipshit GM’s roster failings, not an endorsement of missing Jones.

88. BlacqueJacque says:

G Money,

No, I was being facetious.

89. spoiler says:

shane leavitt:
    OilClog,

They brought Belanger and Petrell back?

90. jp says:

Woodguy,

Still better than Brown on the 4th line though, no?

91. Ryan says:

prairieschooner:
    Sothere are no fire breathing dragons available to replace a bottom six whose collective outer marker was “non event”?
    A change of personnel would at least be trying, this was capitulation!

This.

Yeah the Jones signing is the proverbial throwing in the towel.

92. Lucinius says:

I don’t get teh hate for this signing. Yes, Jones had a horrible year last season. Yes, Jones is not a good starter for your top 9. Yes, Jones is a goal-sucker.

He does, however, have a history of bringing far more offense than is expected from a player with his ice time and placement in the line up. He is someone who hits people with the puck. He is someone who is actually good at fore-checking, can play on the PK and can thrive if you are able to shelter him due to the fact he can take a pass and score a few goals. He also has some pretty good wheels.

Also, by all reports he’s well liked in the locker room and is a good team-mate.

I think Jones suffered a lot last year from Kruger’s systems (which, let’s be honest, were generally atrocious and overly complicated for no good reason) as well as the eye injury.

As someone who’s had an eye injury I can tell you that even when its healed and you have your vision back you still do feel ‘off’. It takes longer than just the time-frame of ‘healed’ to get back to normal. I’m actually a believer that he’ll have a rebound year this upcoming season so long as he doesn’t have to play on the third line.

Depending on the cash involved.. the signing isn’t terrible. Honestly, some of the comments in here remind me of when people blasted the Oilers for having Colin Fraser as our 4th line center and remarked that no team with him as their fourth line center could win in the playoffs, much less win a cup (guess what? He did.)

Jones is an NHL player. He can score in the NHL. He’s fast enough for the NHL. He can hit and takes hits in the NHL. His only issue is defensive positioning and responsibilities. Sure, that’s a big negative, but a very common one for fourth lien players around the league — even on playoff teams!

Change just for change’s sake is always dumb. Jones has proven he can play in the NHL, but people want him gone because he had one bad year and flies the zone too early.

I’m really glad some of you are not GM of the Oilers.

Also.. would people stop blaming MacT for not getting players he had NO hope of getting? Such as; Clutterbuck, MacArthur, and others, or for being risk averse (Nichushkin)? Not every player is available to every team, for a myriad of reasons that have nothing to do with the GM’s capability or plans.

Not saying MacT is flawless; I have plenty of issues with his tenure already.. but he’s looking like an average NHL GM so far, which is a big step up from what we had previously.

Meh. I just don’t get some of you guys. Its like some of you will never be happy, short of this team fleecing the other guy in every trade, and altering reality so that Edmonton can get every free agent/player you personally like.

93. striatic says:

shane leavitt: The GM rips the bottom six and then brings them all back minus Horcoff. Sweeping change and a desire to actually improve, indeed.

as i see it they are bringing back at most 3 of the bottom 6. Brown, Smyth and Jones.

Horcoff, Belanger and Petrell are gone.

so at least half the bottom 6 will swapped.

Brown may be swapped also.

94. sliderule says:

I could never understand the dislike for Jones by a lot of folks on this site.

Comments like ” leaves the zone to early and doesn’t back check hard” kind of sound like saw him bad.

As saw him good is usually kinda laughed at it doesn’t make sense to me when the criticism is mostly saw bad.

95. Ryan says:

spoiler: They brought Belanger and Petrell back?

Well our 4c is a slot currently filled by Lander.

Lander – Eager – jones or jonesu or Brown

Yikes.

96. uni says:

Captain Happy,

They’ve got no shortage on defense as well:

Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Polak, Jackman, Bouwmeester, Leopold, Cole, Woywitka, Chorney

6 legitimate top 4 defencemen, all of whom can eat minutes, 1 capable defenceman (with some sheltering), and 2 journeyman depth D.

Captain Happy:
    CapGeek ‏@capgeek 36m

I hope in next season’s Oil Change MacT walks into a room and says to Eakins:

Mac: “Ok you got your vet D”

Voiceover: “Andrew Ference, a Stanley Cup Champion and Edmonton area product, gives his endorsement of the OIlers’ rebuild by signing a 4 year deal”

MacT: “One of the reasons why he wanted a four year deal is because he sees what’s happening, not next year, or the year after, but in in year three and four…….. and ‘if I’m gonna go there, I wanna be part of that, in year three and four’”

Other guy in room: “Good day today MacT!”

98. striatic says:

Ryan: Well our 4c is a slot currently filled by Lander.

i know it isn’t representative of the GM’s thinking, but at least Lander isn’t on the team’s roster listing http://oilers.nhl.com/club/roster.htm

99. spoiler says:

Ryan: Well our 4c is a slot currently filled by Lander.

Lander – Eager – jones or jonesu or Brown

Yikes.

Currently is pretty irrelevant, considering it’s July 6.

sliderule:
    I could never understand the dislike for Jones by a lot of folks on this site.

No, most of us combine saw him good with analytics.

Analytics doesn’t corner the market on info, it gives us info we wouldn’t otherwise have.

When you watch ever single shift a player takes in 3 years you’re allowed to have an opinion on what you see as well.

101. theres oil in virginia says:

Lucinius:

It’s gotta be all the years of suck. It’s been hard. Still, this is supposed to be the optimistic season for Oil Fans.

What’s strange to me is that there was so much blasting of MacT for not making any “bold moves” and then when he tries (and succeeds in some cases) to make some, he’s blasted for that too. That’s pretty fucked up.

102. shane leavitt says:

spoiler,
    I’m exaggerating some. They’re bringing back Smyth, Jones, Brown it seems, supposedly Eager’s going to get another look. And for the love of christ if they actually plan on starting Lander. They make a few sideways moves and junk Horcoff and Hemsky. I’m not seeing much improvement coming from this roster turnover thus far. And not bothering to improve on Jones bothers me and not you, we’ve established that.

103. theres oil in virginia says:

sliderule:
    I could never understand the dislike for Jones by a lot of folks on this site.

I’ve heard that complaint for some time, and I’ve tried to catch it in the games, but I’ve never seen it. It’s become “truth”, regardless of whether it’s true.

104. striatic says:

shane leavitt: supposedly Eager’s going to get another look.

so will Ryan Hamilton and some other AHL guys.

105. Ryan says:

Woodguy,

It’s funny that you say that with the obvious parallel to the triangle’s contract.

I’m not saying that to be critical, but the style of management does’t scream regime change.

106. striatic says:

Ryan: As a thought experiment, if you pretend that Tambo was still the GM, then look at what’s happened so far, nothing would seem out of place.

i submit that the Gordon signing would seem out of place.

Tambo would have probably signed a Jerred Smithson type instead.

Lucinius,

5v5 pts/60
    10/11 7/13
    11/12 8/14
    12/13 7/15

No he doesn’t.

Ranked NHL wide:

5v5 pts/60 (min 30gp, except in 11/12 10 gp)

10/11 Jones tied for 263rd
    11/12 Jones tied for 211
    12/13 Jones tied for 250

If you divide by 30 teams, the rank on where he fits per team would be:

10/11 9.13 – Marginal 3rd liner/4th liner
    11/12 7.03 – Upper 3rd liner
    12/13 8.33 – Middle lower 3rd liner

108. Ryan says:

striatic: i submit that the Gordon signing would seem out of place.

Tambo would have probably signed a Jerred Smithson type instead.

That’s more professional scouting than what I mean.

If you look at the style of contracts it has the strong feel of continuity.

Ryan,

I was thinking the same thing.

If Jones is $1MM or under and is slotted as 4RW, its ok.

If its more and they have him slotted at 3RW is hot garbage.

Tambo-esque.

jp:
    Woodguy,

Still better than Brown on the 4th line though, no?

If that’s where they slot him.

They probably slot him 3RW because Oilers.

111. theres oil in virginia says:

Ryan:
    Woodguy,

What would scream regime change? What should MacT have done on UFA-day? I know, I know, he should have traded N. Schultz and Hemsky for Kris Letang. Oh, that deal wasn’t available? Well, if he just wasn’t a “rookie GM” then Shero would have made that deal. And on and on…

UFA-day is OVERPAY day. That’s how it’s set up. Players get squeezed when they’re RFA (unless they’re coveted), then when they hit UFA, they get paid way more than they’re worth. Well, guess what, if you want some veterans on the team, they’re going to be overpaid. Hall and Eberle are, and have been, underpaid. That’s the system. That’s why it was so stupid for Tambo to let Gagner get 1 year away from UFA without locking him up. He can choose arbitration and walk away UFA next year. If he’s smart, he’ll do that. Dubnyk’s situation isn’t much different.

112. striatic says:

Woodguy: If Jones is $1MM or under and is slotted as 4RW, its ok.

where he’s slotted is pretty important though.

113. shane leavitt says:

striatic,

Bold roster turnover. The bluster is easy sitting at your own press conference.

Captain Happy: Just looking at their depth chart:

C – Backes, Berglund, Roy, Oshie, Sobotka, Lapierre, Aucoin (jeebus)

LW – Perron, Steen, Jaden Scwhartz, Porter, Jaskins

RW – Tarasenko, Stewart, Ty Rattie, Cracknell,

I like Perron and think he’d fit 2LW pretty well.

Given his injury history and that he’s under contract for 3 more years I’m a little leery.

I bet they would want Paajarvi though.

I’m not sure I do that deal.

12/13 5v5 pts/60

Pajaarvi 1.54
    Perron 1.58

Perron did it against tougher comp, but also had better line mates.

Pass, not enough of an upgrade and concussion history scares me.

Therefore MacT will do it.

striatic: the dollar amount is irrelevant. the team isn’t anywhere near the cap and with a one year term the contract won’t be an issue whenever the cap does become an issue.

where he’s slotted is pretty important though.

$ are important to see if the GM knows how much to pay for each slot.

Woodguy: I hope in next season’s Oil ChangeMacT walks into a room and says to Eakins:

Mac: “Ok you got your vet D”

Other guy in room: “Good day today MacT!”

This is both ghastly and cruel. Well done!

I cribbed a series of tweets from Tyler from when Belanger got waived.

I was driving to Apache Seed to get some netting for my peas and all I could think about was Ference in years 3 and 4 of this deal and how slow he might look.

Then I get back to find out he has a NMC and they signed Jones.

Huzzah!

118. 719 says:

Looks like a lot of sideway moves.

Gordon for Horcoff is a sideway move

Jones is a retread

Ferrence is an upgrade on Whitney (but most anyone would be)

Labarbera is a sideways move as a backup (healthier yes). On this note why no Kubodin?? – Still mad at this one, considering that Kubodin signed for 800K in Carolina. Kid has a lot of potential.

We are hoping Jonesuu becomes something he hasn’t been in his career (3rd line winger)

This team is built on hopes and dreams just like it was under Tambellini.

119. VanOil says:

sliderule,

I will work really hard to come up with a fancy stat for most goals against when a player isn’t even in the right f’n zone. I will call it Jones’n. Or in tribute to what I yell at the screen when I watch him “your going the wrong f’n way”

120. theres oil in virginia says:

Woodguy: $ are important to see if the GM knows how much to pay for each slot.

There is no formula for that. Too many variables.

121. TheOtherJohn says:

Worse two moves by MacT so far are Clarkson at big $$, big term and a 34 year old Ference on a 4 year NTC contract. Neither was a smart move from an analytical standpoint. Just not smart moves.

No clue what Gilbert did to get run out of town but he’s free for the taking. Need a big body 2LW……Penner is never in shape but he’d be better than what we have. Or we play MPS in top 6, ask Gordon to centre an elite checking line and give him crap to play with recipe for disaster

Am serious about Ryan Reaves. Love to add him to bottom 6. Hits like Grier did “he blowed up real good” Course Grier would dislocate his shoulder routinely doing so.

122. fifthcartel says:

I rather Ryan Hamilton get multiple chances with the Oilers, than give Ben Eager more.

$1.5M for Jones. EJ source

124. Ryan says:

theres oil in virginia,

I’m not talking about OMB trade proposals.

Actually, we’re talking about two completely different things.

What I have is a vague rumblings of a theory with no personal free time to test it. :)

If someone who had a wealth of free time combined with a bevy of statistical savvy–let’s say a Parkatti or Dellow, they could look at something like this…

The question is whether or not there’s decipherable patterns to the type of contracts a GM signs UFA’s to?

i.e. Is there a change in pattern when one GM is fired and replaced by another???

Tambo was fired and Mact was brought in yet the pattern of 3/4 year contracts seems similar to me at least.

Are there differences from GM to GM in term and salary structure or is it pretty much a wash?

I don’t know but I’d be curious to find out.

Not to jump into the conspiracy theory bandwagon, but the similar style of contracts (at least to me) seems to suggest that Lowe was and continues to be at the helm.

125. Ducey says:

Woodguy:
    Lucinius,

5v5 pts/60
    10/11 7/13
    11/12 8/14
    12/13 7/15

No he doesn’t.

Ranked NHL wide:

5v5 pts/60 (min 30gp, except in 11/12 10 gp)

10/11 Jones tied for 263rd
    11/12 Jones tied for 211
    12/13 Jones tied for 250

If you divide by 30 teams, the rank on where he fits per team would be:

10/11 9.13 – Marginal 3rd liner/4th liner
    11/12 7.03 – Upper 3rd liner
    12/13 8.33 – Middle lower 3rd liner

This makes Jones sound like a very good 4th liner.

126. gogliano says:

Mike Grier would solve a number of this team’s problems right now. Loved that player.

127. TheOtherJohn says:

Great news WG

EJ reporting Jones @$1.5m ……lots of $$ for a 4th liner. Gee with him and Smytty that’s $3.75m for 2/3 of 4th line

theres oil in virginia: There is no formula for that.Too many variables.

No, there is.

TheOtherJohn:
    Great news WG

Oh for fuck sakes.

3RW – Ryan Jones

Phhhhhhpphhhhhttttt

Ducey: This makes Jones sound like a very good 4th liner.

I’m ok with him at 4RW.

I’m not ok with him a 3RW.

131. LMHF#1 says:

Where’s the cavalry LT?

Early days I know, but if Grabovski and Ranger aren’t on their way immediately followed by a trade for an impact 2LW and a defenceman that can actually play top 2 minutes…oh man.

One of my true joys at the end of the season was the possibility of not having to watch Ryan “I’m pedaling backwards” Jones in an Oilers uniform again. Dammit….

They aren’t going to start Paajarvi at 2LW are they? I’m betting it has crossed their minds.

theres oil in virginia: There is no formula for that.Too many variables.

23 roster spots and cap.

That’s not too many variables.

There are ranges for each position depending on ability to play against good NHL players, production etc.

133. spoiler says:

shane leavitt:
    spoiler,

“We’ve established” what?

LMHF#1,

I was looking forward to not hearing when Jones was on the ice:

“and (insert team name here) breaks in on an odd man rush”

gogliano:
    Mike Grier would solve a number of this team’s problems right now.Loved that player.

*weeps*

136. "Steve Smith" says:

Ducey: This makes Jones sound like a very good 4th liner.

In terms of only offence (and, even more narrowly, his own counting numbers), certainly. Hockey players, and fourth liners in particular, are not evaluated solely on offence.

137. TheOtherJohn says:

Successful teams don’t pay their 4th liners an average of $1.875. Or they won’t be successful

138. VanOil says:

How about Schultz Sr, Marincin and 2014 2nd to Florida for Dimtry Kulikov and Shawn Mathias.

Schultz Sr role as old vet seems to have gone to Ference and Nurse is the Giant Dman likely to get a shot at making the team next year. Florida gets 2 Dmen that can play for the team this year. We can replace the second round pick at the deadline.

139. Lucinius says:

If Jones is getting 1.5 million that’s an over-pay of about 250k – 500k, imo, and does make the signing look a fair bit worse. But in the end, if the Oilers aren’t constrained by the cap and he plays on the fourth line, I’m fine with it.

Basically, I have no problems with Jones if he plays where he fits; fourth line RW.

LMHF#1:
    Where’s the cavalry LT?

they have the cap room to add, especially if Hemsky is out. No excuses

141. theres oil in virginia says:

Ryan,

Sorry Ryan, a lot of that comment was not really aimed specifically at you, I just used your post as a springboard for diatribe.

I strongly suspect that the types of signings you see on UFA day are across the board. There are exceptions, like when a player really wants to come to a certain team. But even then, you look at the reaction to the signing and the angst is there too. For example, Clarkson signed for less than he could have, but the Toronto fandom is up in arms about an overpay.

I think the whole “bold moves” angle is way overplayed. Probably the more important part of what MacT said that day was about exposing yourself to some semblance of risk (paraphrasing here). I’d say he has exposed himself and the team to some semblance of risk! He fired the coach, he sent out the captain, he went after the biggest fish on UFA day… Tambo was not doing that in the last years. He tried some things early on (before the admitted rebuild) and failed miserably. (I don’t think I need to drag out those names here.) Tambo had become too tentative, hence the nickname Mr Dithers, which I always hated, because it’s so damn rude, but it fit.

How the hell can you equate trying to sign Clarkson and Ference to signing Eager and Belanger (and Hordichuk)? Yes, the contracts were all overpays; as I stated above, they always are. That’s the end of the comparison.

142. striatic says:

Smyth and Jones had excellent WOWY together, if i recall correctly. so if they are both on the 4th line that isn’t half bad.

143. shane leavitt says:

spoiler,

Oh. That’s dating back to earlier posts with the Oilclogs guy. His comfortability with Jones and my not.

144. theres oil in virginia says:

Woodguy: 23 roster spots and cap.
    That’s not too many variables.

Yes, there isn’t. ;)

Age of player, FA status, years of experience, expected future performance, team style of play, existing strengths on team, payroll, etc.

A 2LW doesn’t make $X.XM per year, with X being constant or even in a small range. A young emerging player might make $2.5M at 2LW, whereas a proven veteran might make $6M.

If your team has low-paid players in the spots usually filled with higher paid players, you can afford to pay some veterans a bit more than you really want to. I’m reasonably sure I’ve seen you post the phrase “value contracts”, so this argument surprises me a bit.

Look at what Philly is doing. They are overpaying left and right. They want to be competitive, and that’s what it takes. It doesn’t always work, but not ever trying will never get you there.

145. jb says:

Smyth-Gordon-Jones looks like an ok fourth line. Picking up Grabovski and signing Gagner while keeping Hemsky looks like a pretty good plan to me. That lineup only has 2 major holes.. 2lw and 1d IMO.

146. Captain Happy says:

Woodguy: *weeps*

If you recall, we had a conversation several months ago regarding how much the cap will rise in the 2014/15 season.

I suggested your belief that the cap will be back to $70M by then was likely optimistic because the Canadian dollar was poised to drop:

147. spoiler says:

Woodguy:
    LMHF#1,

I was looking forward to not hearing when Jones was on the ice:

“and (insert team name here) breaks in on an odd man rush”

148. bill needle says:

The best part of the Jones signing is the collective banging of heads against walls when Jones winds up on the second line for a six-game road trip.

Jones at 1.5M put him squarely in the top 9F, salary wise. They need to go to Ryan Smyth and have him retire. That’s the only solution.

150. spoiler says:

151. theres oil in virginia says:

jb:

That sounds about right to me.

152. spoiler says:

I would be happy with this solution. I don’t want to watch his shifts anymore because I don’t want to overwrite the good memories I have of him.

153. VanOil says:

jb:

I like your concept but would prefer Gordon-Joensuu-Rajala and have Smyth and Jones observing from the Millionaire seats in the press box.

spoiler: No offense, but that would be a defenseman missing from the picture, wouldn’t it?

There were about 124324523 pinches by the Oiler D last year.

RK’s up ice pressure system.

The F is supposed to bust ass back to cover the pinching D.

155. theres oil in virginia says:

Come on man, are you saying there aren’t 4th line players in the NHL making $1.5M? Jones has the ability to slide from 3line to 4line. Jones on the team shouldn’t be a worry. The holes that still exist should be.

156. sliderule says:

Woodguy,

So you are saying he is marginal third liner and not trying to put words into your mouth a solid fourth liner.

People we just don’t get it.The majority of the teams are in eastern north America and mostly USA.

The free agents have married girls from the area and want to keep close to either their own or wife’s families.

Those of you who are in business know that even in Alberta if you hire someone from Calgary if he gets a chance he will go home for less money and vice versa.

The kids we draft are single and happy to come here.The free agents are mostly married and want to stay close to family or in some cases Disneyland.

The free agents we get will be slightly overpaid and like Ference probably have connection to Alberta.

Captain Happy,

I am still willing to be on the cap in 14/15.

Some guys are calling for up to a $9MM hike.

I think $70MM is pretty safe.

158. VanOil says:

Woodguy: Jones seemed to always be on his ass behind the net or just lollygagging and rarely covered his D and hilarity often ensued.

159. theres oil in virginia says:

Woodguy:

Okay, that I did observe. Although, I chalked it up to a mental problem rather than laziness (ie – not reading the play well).

160. SpotTheLoon says:

I’m not a fan of the Jones signing particularly for many of the reasons articulated above. That said, my reading of the tea leaves is that MacT likely signed him recognizing that he couldn’t turn over the roster to the extent that he had hoped this summer. It may be, given that it is a one year deal, that he is hoping to complete his realization of a revamped line up over the course of the next 14 calendar months. This could be based on identified players not wanting to sign here, inflated UFA prices or potential trades not providing the level of value that MacT is looking for. My guess is that he is taking an incremental approach based on his read of the landscape as he sees it and being pragmatic.

The alternative is that there is something of the Tamby approach being employed which is abhorrent to most fans.

I suppose time will tell.

161. G Money says:

BlacqueJacque:
    G Money,

No, I was being facetious.

Gotcha. There’s so much moaning and weeping going on right now (some justified, some not so much), it’s tough to determine the existence of facetiousness or sarcasm without a :-) or a :-(!

162. BlacqueJacque says:

Jones at 1.5M put him squarely in the top 9F, salary wise.

Since when is the cap at $40m? Are we in cap trouble? Financial trouble? Is Jones’s contract until he’s age 38 and has a NMC?

163. spoiler says:

Woodguy: There were about 124324523 pinches by the Oiler D last year.

RK’s up ice pressure system.

The F is supposed to bust ass back to cover the pinching D.

If the covering forward is on the ice behind the net and the defenseman pinches, that’s on the defenseman in ANY system.

1) Labarbera is a big improvement because one never knew whether Khabibulin was going to be healthy or not. Availability is an important quality in a backup goaltender.

2) The improvement of the team really hinges on the improvement in the defense. Last year the entire season came down to Ryan Whitney’s foot. This year, the Oilers have 4 healthy veterans to start. Smid, Petry, Ference, and NSchultz, and have many more smaller bets on D.

a) Can JSchultz’s D improve, especially with the more protected minutes that Ference and Belov might allow? b) How legit is Belov? 3) Can Potter be better without Whitney? 4) Can Larsen be better, as good as he was when he was paired with Souray in Dallas? 5) How long till the Klefbom. 6) Fedun might be better in a pinch than Teubert and Plante ever were.

So even though, MacT hasn’t gotten the #2 or #3 guy they need yet, he’s has stabilized the D, and there are lots of options for good surprises on the D this year. Whereas last year, we knew we were doomed because of Whitney’s ankle.

SpotTheLoon:
    I’m not a fan of the Jones signing particularly for many of the reasons articulated above.That said, my reading of the tea leaves is that MacT likely signed him recognizing that he couldn’t turn over the roster to the extent that he had hoped this summer.It may be, given that it is a one year deal, that he is hoping to complete his realization of a revamped line up over the course of the next 14 calendar months.This could be based on identified players not wanting to sign here, inflated UFA prices or potential trades not providing the level of value that MacT is looking for.My guess is that he is taking an incremental approach based on his read of the landscape as he sees it and being pragmatic.

The alternative is that there is something in the water cooler that occupies Tamby’s former office.

I suppose time will tell.

I think that’s it. He’s going to have to wait a summer on some of the stuff.

166. G Money says:

spoiler: So my guess is that the next Oiler move will be to sign Manny Maholtra and then he and Jonesy can share a pair of eyes. Gimbel’s can sponsor them.

VanOil: Don’t sell him short he was also on his ass in the high slot, neutral zone and on the penalty dots.

Woodguy: I was looking forward to not hearing when Jones was on the ice:
    “and (insert team name here) breaks in on an odd man rush”

:-)

The best part of assessing moves that are generally disliked is the hockey-gallows humour it inspires among the faithful gathered here!

Also. At the moment, the Oilers still have Hemsky.

Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, Eberle
    Paajarvi, Gagner, Yakupov
    Smyth, Gordon, Hemsky
    Joensuu, Lander, Jones

Brown/Hamilton/Arcobello/Acton

Smyth can’t be as bad as last year. Give Gordon two guys who can at least help him get the puck out of the Oilers end.

That or

Lander, Gordon, Hemsky.

I think Lander might have to be a winger eventually anyways.

sliderule,

I’d agree with that.

My problem is at $1.5MM he’s slotted to be 3RW.

If the option is to do nothing or make a mistake, nothing is preferred.

spoiler,

I’ll give you that.

He’s always last on the back check and his missing his covering assignments is what led him to be scratched the last 5 games of the season.

170. sliderule says:

Woodguy,

RKs system started with both wingers high in own zone.

Because of were they were positioned they were usually both involved in forecheck as he went with two deep with the one back usually ending up being the center.

With all the aggressive pinching RK encouraged we would end up with a two on one with the center having to be back checker.

The winger were usually trapped by quick passes 200 ft from the action.This included Hall Ebs and Yak.

Eakins will not run a system that is designed to fail in today’s NHL.

BlacqueJacque: Since when is the cap at $40m?Are we in cap trouble?Financial trouble?Is Jones’s contract until he’s age 38 and has a NMC?

I have literally no idea how you arrived at this from what I posted. None.

Jones actual salary doesn’t really matter. The important thing is that it is one year only. The Oilers aren’t cap constrained this year. Asking Jones to take a pay cut would be a bit disrespectful. MacT could rake him over the coals, but it is better to have a happy player. So MacT gave him another year at the same salary. That is a decent thing to do when you aren’t cap constrained.

173. G Money says:

godot10:
    Also.At the moment, the Oilers still have Hemsky.

Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, Eberle
    Paajarvi, Gagner, Yakupov
    Smyth, Gordon, Hemsky
    Joensuu, Lander, Jones

Brown/Hamilton/Arcobello/Acton

Smyth can’t be as bad as last year.Give Gordon two guys who can at least help him get the puck out of the Oilers end.

That or

Lander, Gordon, Hemsky.

I think Lander might have to be a winger eventually anyways.

Is the general sentiment then that MacT is done with roster additions?

If so, then I share the pessimism that abounds here, because other than the fact that the team is going to bleed fewer easy goals with Ference rather than Whitney and the youngsters will continue to get better, overall the roster of forwards is no better than last year.

As far as I’m concerned, MacT still has a shopping list that reads: 2L, 3R, 4C.

A good puck retrieving 2L complements Gagner and Yak, allows Yak to play in his natural spot, and so improves the second line dramatically.

It pushes Pajaarvi to 3L, which he’s well suited for and also a substantial improvement on that position from last year.

A decent 3R pushes Jones to 4R, where he is a good fit. It makes the third line of MPS-Gordon-[new guy] a substantial improvement over last year.

A decent 4C i.e. one who is better than Belanger, pushes Lander back to the AHL, and it allows for a fourth line of Smyth-[new guy]-Jones, which is also a substantial improvement on our fourth line last year.

If MacT can do those things, then we have improved the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th lines markedly. I also expect the first line to be better simply because RNH will have two shoulders.

Ference’s arrival pushes Whitney out the door and Schultz Jr back to the third pairing, which improves both the second and third pairings.

Improving all four lines and 2nd and 3rd D pairings – is that not good enough for one year? Is it room for at least a little optimism?

G Money: Is the general sentiment then that MacT is done with roster additions?

No. I still expect a C/LW and to try to get a D upgrade.

175. Joel Pepin says:

Player Position Age Cap Hit GP G A P PPG
    Rupp, Mike RW 33 $1,500,000 39 1 3 4 0.10
    McClement, Jay C 30 $1,500,000 48 8 9 17 0.35
    Fehr, Eric » RW 27 $1,500,000 41 9 8 17 0.41
    Hansen, Jannik » RW 27 $1,350,000 47 10 17 27 0.57
    Miller, Drew » LW 29 $1,350,000 44 4 4 8 0.18
    Eller, Lars » C 24 $1,325,000 46 8 22 30 0.65
    Paille, Daniel » LW 29 $1,300,000 46 10 7 17 0.37
    Sobotka, Vladimir » C 26 $1,300,000 48 8 11 35 0.73
    Pouliot, Benoit » LW 26 $1,300,000 34 8 12 20 0.59

Jones, Ryan RW 29 $1,500,000 27 2 5 7 0.26

176. G Money says:

Joel Pepin: I wanted to see which other forwards in the league were in the same financial ballpark as Jones (making ~ $1.5M per)…

If you truly want to make this a comparative list, you would probably want to restrict that list to contracts signed as UFAs. It’s an apples-oranges comparison to include e.g. RFA contracts and/or ELCs.

177. sliderule says:

We have to many five six seven D.

I can see oil revisiting Zach Smith for a third line center with one of our signed d going back.

Ottawa only has four d signed.

178. Joel Pepin says:

Joel Pepin,

Sorry… let’s see if this is easier to read:

Player (Pos.) (Age) Cap Hit (GP) (G / A / P / PPG)
    Rupp, Mike (RW) (33) $1.5M (39) (1 / 3 / 4 / 0.1)
    McClement, Jay (C) (30) $1.5M (48) (8 / 9 / 17 / 0.35)
    Fehr, Eric (RW) (27) $1.5M (41) (9 / 8 / 17 / 0.41)
    Hansen, Jannik (RW) (27) $1.35M (47) (10 / 17 / 27 / 0.57)
    Miller, Drew (LW) (29) $1.35M (44) (4 / 4 / 8 / 0.18)
    Eller, Lars (C) (24) $1.325M (46) (8 / 22 / 30 / 0.65)
    Paille, Daniel (LW) (29) $1.3M (46) (10 / 7 / 17 / 0.37)
    Sobotka, Vladimir (C) (26) $1.3M (48) (8 / 11 / 35 / 0.73)
    Pouliot, Benoit (LW) (26) $1.3M (34) (8 / 12 / 20 / 0.59)

Jones, Ryan (RW) (29) $1.5M (27) (2 / 5 / 7 / 0.26)

Joel Pepin:

PlayerPositionAgeCap HitGPGAPPPG
    Rupp, Mike RW33$1,500,000391340.10
    McClement, JayC30$1,500,0004889170.35
    Fehr, Eric »RW27$1,500,0004198170.41
    Hansen, Jannik »RW27$1,350,000471017270.57
    Miller, Drew »LW29$1,350,000444480.18
    Eller, Lars »C24$1,325,00046822300.65
    Paille, Daniel »LW29$1,300,00046107170.37
    Sobotka, Vladimir »C26$1,300,00048811350.73
    Pouliot, Benoit »LW26$1,300,00034812200.59

Jones, RyanRW29$1,500,000272570.26

I think the Oilers should have been in on Pouliot. Don’t know if they were, but the timing of signing Jones would fit them losing out.

180. Joel Pepin says:

G Money,

Point taken… I understand that it’s apples-to-oranges. However, I simply went to Cap Geek to find player “comparables” … it doesn’t seem to summarize the type of signing.

The list does show us Jones is at the top of the salary of that list, and based only on boxcars, he’s near the bottom of the list. I’m not trying to pile onto MacT, but he did indicate that he wanted more offensive capability from all of his players.

If looking at only salary and box cars, Jones doesn’t mesh with MacT’s stated plans. Signing UFAs is hard. :)

181. Joel Pepin says:

Agreed… Pouliot would have been nice.

FWIW, the following players make just a shade more…
    Gregory Campbell ($1.6M) – 0.27PPG (~ same as Jones)
    Maxime Talbot ($1.75M) – 0.29PPG
    Jason Chimera ($1.75M) – 0.30PPG

I guess compared to those guys, Jones with $1.5M – 0.26PPG actually looks “in the range”

182. SpotTheLoon says:

I think that you can make the argument that Jones was the consolation prize for not being able to sign Pouliot. I think the same can be said for Ference since they weren’t able to work out a trade for Coburn at the draft. I think that MacT will likely wait a year on defense and see what develops with some of the young emerging D.

My thinking is that MacT will focus on trying to get a 2L through trade and also attempt to sign another C. That is what I think we will see between now and the start of training camp.

I think that we all agree that there continue to be holes in the roster. However, the difference between fans and MacT is largely that fans see the possibilities without having to deal with the actual implications associated with player acquisition. I don’t offer this as an excuse or to appear to be a MacT apologist. But if it was as easy to acquire players as some think, we would all be GMs. As I said earlier, I think that MacT is taking a methodical approach while being cognizant of future cap considerations, asset management and ensuring that any player acquisitions do not require what he sees as overpayment. In that sense, I see MacT using a different kind of statistical analysis whereby the overall quality of assets that the team has is assigned a value. Any moves would then have to enhance that overall metric of team quality that is being employed.

I admit that I was not overly thrilled when MacT was named as GM. That said, at least I can reasonable understand what it is that he is trying to do and the direction that he is moving with the team. There is hope. Unfortunately, it requires a measure of patience that is a difficult sell to many fans who have grown so weary of the lost years of wandering in the forest.

183. sliderule says:

LT you just can’t lose your love for all the Pouliots

184. Ice Sage says:

TheOtherJohn:

Well that’s a pretty gloomy forecast – McDavid is 2 years away from draft-eligible…
    Jones can fill a role, for sure. Still more pieces to come, surely?

sliderule:

LT you just can’t lose your love for all the Pouliots

Apparently it is true. :-)

186. spoiler says:

I am not a fan of Jones the player. I would much prefer an improvement, but then I would prefer an improvement over any roster slot.

But the notion that doing nothing is better than doing something less than ideal is false.

And, due to a lack of an extension prior to free agency, MacT quite obviously considered Jones a less than ideal option.

However, he cannot let the slot go unfilled. The one year deal buys MacT time…

If he leaves the spot unfilled and tries to fill by trade, then the other GM has all the leverage due to MacT’s need. So by this signing he’s improved his trade stance, especially if Hemsky too is being shopped.

If there is no trade available, and no improvements available in the UFA market then leaving the spot unfilled screws the coach over going into training camp.

The one year deal gives the coach, GM and player one year to see if he can recover from the injury and turn his career around. And there’s still the opportunity to deal the player at any point during the season.

I’m not happy with the signing but I am not as unhappy as I would be if MacT had done nothing. Jones was his safety blanket. He was hoping he wouldn’t need him, but unfortunately he did. So he signed him to term and dollars that every one could live with. Sometimes you have to play the cards your dealt.

And I imagine this set of circumstances will be quite motivating to Jones. Let’s hope he can do something with it. If not, it doesn’t look like he will be back next year.

187. spoiler says:

That shuld be *you’re* dealt, just in case there are any schoolkids reading here today.

188. G Money says:

Joel Pepin:

Agreed… Pouliot would have been nice.

FWIW, the following players make just a shade more…
    Gregory Campbell ($1.6M) – 0.27PPG (~ same as Jones)
    Maxime Talbot ($1.75M) – 0.29PPG
    Jason Chimera ($1.75M) – 0.30PPG

You can also add into the equation that Jones came back from an eye injury middle of last season. His PPG the two years previous were 0.31 and 0.42.

Not a Jones apologist, just don’t think he’s as bad as people seem to believe, and think he’s fine if he’s slotted in at 4R.

189. theres oil in virginia says:

spoiler,
    Agreed.
    I think MacT more-or-less made it clear early on that Jones was a fall-back. If there was some question about whether he handled the coaching situation or the Horcoff and Hemsky situations correctly, at least on can look at the Jones situation and say that this is exactly how he said he would deal with it.

190. magisterrex says:

spoiler:
    I am not a fan of Jones the player.I would much prefer an improvement, but then I would prefer an improvement over any roster slot.

However, he cannot let the slot go unfilled.The one year deal buys MacT time…

The one year deal gives the coach, GM and player one year to see if he can recover from the injury and turn his career around.And there’s still the opportunity to deal the player at any point during the season.

I’m not happy with the signing but I am not as unhappy as I would be if MacT had done nothing.Jones was his safety blanket.He was hoping he wouldn’t need him, but unfortunately he did.So he signed him to term and dollars that every one could live with. Sometimes you have to play the cards your dealt.

This is the best analysis I’ve read on this signing, on this or any other site. Spot on, sir.

191. TheOtherJohn says:

theres oil in virginia: Come on man, are you saying there aren’t 4th line players in the NHL making $1.5M?Jones has the ability to slide from 3line to 4line.Jones on the team shouldn’t be a worry.The holes that still exist should be.

Wake up

192. theres oil in virginia says:

TheOtherJohn: Smyth is making. $2.25m and Jones is making 1.5m. That is stupid money. Chicago’s 4th line is making $2.5m

Wake up

You can leave the “wake up” BS out of your comments, thanks. I swear, some folks say things on these boards that they would never (or at least shouldn’t) say in person.

I haven’t made a single comment about Smyth’s money. So what’s that got to do with anything. Only that I have a hard time believing that there aren’t 4th liners making $1.5M. (I’m guessing Joel Pepin’s list above includes some 4th liners). Anyway, I think Jones can and will slide up to the 3rd line some too. I’m guessing that if he was making $1.0M, this wouldn’t be “stupid money” for a 4th liner. I don’t think $0.5M is worth getting so bothered about.

Thanks for the extra angst. Just what was needed.

193. Captain Happy says:

Vancouver just signed Mike Santorelli for $550K as #4C.

Both Jones and Santorelli were late round drafts of the Nashville Predators after NCAA careers.

Santorelli – .28 PPG

Jones – .33PPG

Santorelli’s career high is 20G.

Jones career high is 18G.

Jones makes 3X Santorelli’s salary.

Go figure.

194. bookje says:

Just got in from a no phone service area. Jones, hey? Whatever. A 3/4th line guy.

I am begining to believe that it is very very hard for the Oilers to attract players. Tambellini dealt with it by not doing anything, MacT, by giving out a NMC to Ference (sigh). MacT’ crooning for Clarkson remind me a lot of the Dany Healty chase – embarassing.

With that said, I don’t know if I could do better. Being the GM of the Oilers is a crappy job.

Our only hope is that the kids become insane and dominate this year making the team attractive again.

195. theres oil in virginia says:

Captain Happy,
    First, I want to make it clear that I’m not arguing that Jones is what might be called a “value contract”. Only that his contract isn’t a big deal.

Santorelli and Jones are not really comparable by my eye:
    Santo
    2010-11 82gm 20G 21A, 5G 7A on PP, with 16:41 TOI/gm

That’s a chunk of PP scoring to boost his numbers. His career high outside that year?:

2011-12 60gm 9G 2A Wow.

Played 1 full season, followed by 60gm and 34gm in lockout year.

Jones
    2010-11 81gm 18G 7A 13:50 TOI/gm
    2011-12 79gm 17G 16A 15:26 TOI/gm
    2012-13 27gm 2G 5A 12:59 TOI/gm

So, 1 player who scored 20G 1 year, hasn’t produced like that or stayed in the line up since, and has been on now 3 teams since that year. And 1 player who looked like a consistent 15G scorer (never mind how he cheated to get those goals) and had a shit year, possibly due to injury.

Not exactly the same player. I imagine that a deeper delve into statistics would verify this further, but who cares? I’ll grant you this, Santo looks like a value signing and Jones an overpay. Again, who cares? It’s 1 year and small dollars.

196. G Money says:

Captain Happy: Santorelli’s career high is 20G.
    Jones career high is 18G.
    Jones makes 3X Santorelli’s salary.

A quick comparison of the last three years of Santorelli and Jones – pts and ppg:

Jones – 81 g / 25 pts / 0.31 ppg, 79 g / 33 pts / 0.42 ppg, 27 g / 7 pts / 0.26 ppg

Santorelli – 82 g / 41 pts / 0.51 ppg, 60 g / 11 pts / 0.18 ppg, 34 g / 4 pts / 0.12 ppg

197. Captain Happy says:

G Money: Santorelli is a reclamation project on a cap-desperate team. He seems to have bottled lightning one year and then been on a nasty downslide since. He got league minimum because … that’s about what he’s worth right now.

Jones should have been signed for < $1M or not at all.

198. Ducey says:

theres oil in virginia: You can leave the “wake up” BS out of your comments, thanks.I swear, some folks say things on these boards that they would never (or at least shouldn’t) say in person.

Thanks for the extra angst.Just what was needed.

Don’t take it personally. TOJ has a small penis, is a bad at his job (as a lawyer I believe) or has some other problem that makes him an angry fellow. He likes to take it out on people who dare to disagree with him.

199. TheOtherJohn says:

I haven’t made a single comment about Smyth’s money.So what’s that got to do with anything.Only that I have a hard time believing that there aren’t 4th liners making $1.5M.(I’m guessing Joel Pepin’s list above includes some 4th liners).Anyway, I think Jones can and will slide up to the 3rd line some too.I’m guessing that if he was making $1.0M, this wouldn’t be “stupid money” for a 4th liner.I don’t think $0.5M is worth getting so bothered about.

Thanks for the extra angst.Just what was needed.

Your suggestion is $1.5m is not a bad 4W contract. It is. Your further suggestion is its only a $500K overpay. Thats a HUGE overpay. 50 %.?

Worse the Oilers have $3.75m tied up on the wings of their 4th line. That is stupid money. Centres are usually highest paid. Somehow posters here believe when its necessay management will, magically, start to be prudent with money. The next major task of our management will be cap management. It’s why Chicago immediately jettisoned Bolland & Frolik. When we do stupid things with $$, it is a management tell

if you do not understand what a 50% overpay represents I cannot help you

Andrew Shaw makes $565K, 3 times Jones’ salary. That is a lot. Smyth makes $750k more than Jones, that’s a 125% overpay. No big deal

Bookie remains of the view it’s the market. Believe that was also his view on Sutton contract (the Edm overpay) too, That is, it’s hard to get players to come here. It’s less so in Calgary but they are 180 miles away. Maybe but I don’t think so

I believe its actually a sign of lazy management

200. theres oil in virginia says:

Captain Happy: No argument from me but I’d wager Jones doesn’t provide 3 times as much offense this coming season as Santorelli although he’s being paid 3 times as much.

Jones should have been signed for < $1M or not at all.

Really? You don’t think it’s possible that Santo scores 2G this year and Jones scores 6G? It’s not a reach.

Newer Comments »