OILERS TRADE FOR PERRON, DEAL PAAJARVI

In the end, the Oilers stopped short of trading one of their Jacks and Kings and instead traded a 10 with face card rising, along with a 2nd rd pick. Whatever else we can say about this deal, it is most certainly (on this day) an overpay. The questions then are:

1. How much was the overpay?
  2. Was the overpay necessary?

In order to answer those questions, let’s look at the positives and negatives of David Perron (we have oodles of information on our man Magnus). Let’s begin with the Vollman Sledgehammer.

THE VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER

perron

Perron shows up in a nice spot on the map, and his color is good. Combined with his skill (Perron per 82gp is 20-28-48 in his career) this is a nice player. The concussions are a definite concern his contract (3 years times $3.8M) is not a small matter. I like Perron, always have–wanted the Oilers to take him at #15 overall on his draft day–and am pleased with the acquisition. I wrote about the possibility on the weekend, no special credit there we’ve been talking about Perron for some time on this blog.

I like the idea of Perron playing with Yakupov, that’s a wonderful duo and hopefully they can put Sam Gagner in the middle and have some real success.

DAVID PERRON 12-13

• 5×5 points per 60: 1.58 (5th among regular forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 3.09 (8th among regular forwards)
  • Qual Comp: 4th toughest among regular forwards
  • Qual Team: 9th best teammates among regular forwards
  • Corsi Rel: 2.5 (5th best among regular forwards) (5.61 CorsiON)
  • Zone Start: 50.8% (7th easiest among regular forwards)
  • Zone Finish: 46.9% (8th best among regular forwards)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 84/11.9% (3rd among F’s>70 shots)
  • Boxcars: 48, 10-15-25

Summary: I think the Oilers got a fine player in his prime, and as best we can tell he’s a fine matchup for the skilled Oilers who populate the top two lines.  This is a rock solid acquisition–concussion aside–and Craig MacTavish landed an actual NHL player who can help in an important role.

SAIL ON MALMO REDHAWK

paajarvi1

I remember the day they found him, this board was thrilled with Paajarvi.  We’ve cheered like hell and worried over him and now he’s down the line. I think it might be an idea to quote a few posters from the draft day item as a send off:

• Mark Ryan: Awesome, just awesome. The math is wrong on this guy. There’s no reason he should have been on this board at 10. Silly, silly Toronto.
  • Maverick: Awesome is right!! I can’t believe he fell to 10th. Wow!
  • CrazyCoach: Wow, I am overjoyed. Skilled kid who called the Oilers a classic team. Here’s hoping he’s the next Forsberg and not the next ????
  • doritograndeI can’t believe Toronto took Kadri. I knew right then that we had a shot at Paajarvi-Svensson. Solves the Oilers needs for LW and size (albeit in a couple years) and possesses the traditional Oilers qualities of blinding speed and character. A winner.
  • Woodguy: *sheds tear* Never ever though the Oilers had a chance at this guy without moving up.

MAGNUS PAAJARVI 12-13

• 5×5 points per 60: 1.54 (5th among regular forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 2.05 (9th among regular forwards)
  • Qual Comp: 6th toughest among regular forwards
  • Qual Team: 10th best teammates among regular forwards
  • Corsi Rel: -1.6 (7th best among regular forwards) (-12.88 CorsiON)
  • Zone Start: 51.0% (7th easiest among regular forwards)
  • Zone Finish: 55.3% (best among regular forwards)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 75/12% (4th among F’s>70 shots)
  • Boxcars: 42, 9-7-16

This is a fine young player, not yet established in the NHL but a likely bargain for the next couple of years and very likely to be a gem in St. Louis. I don’t like saying goodbye to him and no one I know is suggesting he isn’t a value contract and player. Sail on Magnus, there’s not really one thing about you we didn’t value and cherish. I hope you don’t mind if we check in on you from time to time, maybe keep tabs on you with your Dad on twitter.

We won’t forget you.

Summary: Let’s go back to the top and ask the questions again:

1. How much was the overpay? I think we can say with some authority that a genuine 2line scoring winger has more value than a 3line option, and that Perron is more proven. The concussion issue is a concern, but it isn’t like he’s missed 25 games a year with it. Perron is an offensive winger bought on the down beat and he is the best player in the deal, and could make the deal look like a bargain one short year from now. I believe the overpay is real, probably the difference between 2 and 3 lines, the different between established and emerging.
  2. Was the overpay necessary? Yes. If this team is ever going to get better, they need experience, quality and more established players. The Oilers have a lot of emerging talents, and one of them bought an actual NHL player today. That’s worth the price in my opinion.

Epilogue

This was MacT’s first real trade, and a bold move in my books. Those who  want to be critical of this deal can certainly find ammo to make the argument, but there’s a thread of logic and reason in this deal that gives iron to it from the Edmonton side. Sometimes you have to lose a battle to win the war.

Today may be such a day.

242 Responses to "OILERS TRADE FOR PERRON, DEAL PAAJARVI"

Newer Comments »
  1. Bar_Qu says:

There’s no real grounds to criticise this deal, IMO. PRV was a favourite, but to get a clear upside in Perron, you have to give up quality. And Magnus never put up the numbers to make himself untouchable (and I don’t think he’ll get them in St. Louis either).

A clear positive for the new GM.

2. jonrmcleod says:

I’m confused about how this is an overpay if Perron is the better player.

3. "Steve Smith" says:

This is a quality-for-quality trade. Giving up quality is never fun, but I can easily conceive of circumstances in which, a few years out, this looks like a huge win for the Oilers. I can also easily conceive of circumstances where it looks like a huge loss. Today, I think it looks like a pretty fair deal, and a bold one.

You’ll find out what my alter-ego, Captain Happy, thinks just as soon as his comment makes it through the filter (hint: he thinks that Dale Tallon won this trade hands down).

4. Rebilled says:

Trading Magnus reminds me of trading Satan.

Cool names. Good players. Never got to see enough but looked really good.

This trade oozes ‘we need to get rid of ONE of these young guys, let’s go through the list…’

5. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I love the deal.

I hate seeing Magnus leave.

parting quibbles: I wonder if a later pick might have done it? I wonder about that concussion situation? I wonder if Perron’s size (or lackthereof) means that MacT is not done fiddling with the top 6 (excluding whatever he has in mind for Hemsky)? I wonder if this makes Gagner more or less likely to stay? I wonder if Perron’s size leads to a size upgrade at 2C (probably ruling out Grabo too)?

ohh… so many things to wonder:

6. jake70 says:

First thing I did was look for Perron’s age. 25 is good.

So this is the first of Stu’s first rounders out the door?

7. Rebilled says:

I like Perron. I might be alone on this but I hope he stays healthy¡

8. Lucinius says:

Still hate the deal, even if I understand it.

I’ll be watching a lot of St. Louis games this coming year, now, so I’ll let people know how he does as a Blues.

9. Jon K says:

LT, what’s the link to that original thread you quoted? I have a heck of a time wading through archives sometimes. I’m just curious to see if I voiced my opinion at that time. I’ve never been particularly bullish on Paajarvi. Don’t get me wrong, he’s a fine player and an even better young man. Sad to see him go. He could flourish with some direction and structure under Hitch.

As per my post in the previous thread, I think we can generally agree that the Oilers upgraded, but had to overpay. In my view the overpay was necessary and reasonable.

If we agree that Perron appears to be the superior player to Paajarvi, what kind of asset along with Paajarvi would represent fair value? A 3rd rounder? A 4th rounder? A 2nd is high, but ultimately the difference between a 2nd and 3rd is a small premium to pay.

No doubt, there’s risk to this acquisition, but if there wasn’t Perron arguably would never have been available in the first place. At the same time, we’re getting a better player now, and there’s no guarantee that Paajarvi becomes Perron’s equal, ever.

I think it’s a good deal, and I know I certainly like the look of the top 6 now.

Sidenote: It would be interesting to see the results of Gagner’s arbitration. Backlund’s signing and some of the UFA signings this year lowered his reasonable asking price, in my view. I hope he’s not stuck on 5.5 AAV, because if he does he could end up getting a one year deal for 4 and a quick ticket out of town.

10. Smarmy says:

Rebilled:
    Trading Magnus reminds me of trading Satan.

Yeah Perron is no Drew Miller.

Edit bah Craig Millar

11. Jon K says:

Never mind, found the post LT. Those tags are miracle workers for finding old posts.

It’s fun to look back on how we viewed the draft, those four years ago. Losing ground to the Canucks at the draft, HA!

jon k says:
    June 27, 2009 at 4:10 am

Pretty disappointed with this year’s first round.

I’m not a fan of the MPS pick. From what I’ve read and watched there’s a reason he fell to us.

Hopefully the pessimist in me is wrong and he has some upside but I just don’t see a lot of offensive ability in him.

Even more disappointing though is Schroeder going to Vancouver so late. Just kills me. I think he and Hodgson will be giving us fits in years to come.

With Schroeder and Moore still available late I wonder what the cost might have been to move the 40th into that range to get either of them.

All in all, I think there’s a very good chance that we lost ground to two teams in the NW through the draft today.

I hope tomorrow brings new hope.

12. Jon K says:

Darn, a minute too late. Sorry to make you look for that, LT.

13. Mr DeBakey says:

Overpay?
    Maybe, feels a bit like one.
    But, who knows who else was bidding and what.

Love reading those old threads.
    The old gang
    The Despair
    The Hate

14. goldenchild says:

I will miss MPS think he’s going to have a terrific career but Oilers got a very good player for thier top 6 that fits a need and is the right age to pay with cluster at a good cap number. The concussion is def a concern but outside of that I can’t see any scenario where the Oilers regret this deal in the next 3 years.

This is a good deal, quality for quality, giving up some years and potential for skill and immediate fit. 91 was always going to be the most likely chip to get cashed in and I’m just relieved it’s MacT making the deal and not Tambelini because I think we would of more than likely seen a return from the oughness and jam tree rather than the Perron high end skill tree.

We’re a better team today and certainly for next 3 years, after that we’ll see but the GM did well. Now fix that clusterfuck of a 3rd line!

15. striatic says:

PRV will be missed, but Edmonton wins this trade.

unfortunately they don’t improve by leaps and bounds for having won the trade, just by a leap.

still, each move made so far this summer should make Edmonton a better team, and not in the coin flip kind of way Cam Barker did.

Ference over Whitney
    Gordon over Horcoff
    LaBarbera over Khabibulin
    Perron over Paajarvi

how much the team is improved by these moves is an open question, but i do think the team has improved.

JonK: lol. I was fretting over the Schroeder fall too, liked that guy and Glennie too. Turns out the Oilers did a nice job at #10.

17. striatic says:

so .. anyone for Kyle Wellwood at 3LW? ; ]

18. Racki says:

I consider this Craig Mac’s first bold move. It wasn’t gargantuan bold, but it was bold. I think some of us felt Paajarvi could be traded, but I think it still came as surprise to most people. This made the team better, I’m pretty sure, even in the long run. Paajarvi I think could wind up being a good player, but I have doubts he could have reached his potential here. I think this deal will be a win for both sides.

I like it.. now I still believe we need that big C to replace Gagner, but that’s damn near impossible to achieve. But hey, still hoping. If that happens, I consider this team to be far better than it’s been in years. Even without the rock on the blue line yet.

19. hags9k says:

And sliding under the news of the trade is the news Samwise goes to arbitration. I don’t see this ending well.

20. russ99 says:

Really sucks to see Paajarvi go, but since signing wasn’t even publicly discussed, you had to see it coming.

Plus we got a need player for the top 6 with a good track record and a fairly reasonable contract coming back.

This trade makes the team better, so it’s a win all around.

The one thing I don’t like about this deal is that it continues a pattern of no patience within the org when it comes to European prospects when they hit RFA. I hope Yak lights it up this season so we don’t need to worry about that next summer.

21. russ99 says:

hags9k,

Lets see. Doesn’t the process start by both sides exchanging numbers? We could see a middle ground decided on before any hearing. I agree though, if this somehow gets to a hearing, we’re screwed.

22. Nicholas says:

You want bold? If Perron is technically a RW, what could Eberle get you in terms of a big LW or C everyone wants for the second line? Or in a package for that top pairing D?

As for the trade itself – happy with it. I love MPS, but you can replace a 3rd line winger for a lot easier than a 2nd line winger so you have to do this trade…

Hags: I’m hopeful until they actually go into the room, because the Oilers will trade him if it gets that far. However, I don’t think it will. Oilers are going to have to bend, SG too.

Interesting now to look at the top 6F now:

Nuge-Hall-Eberle
    Gagner-Perron-Yakupov

We won’t look at the bottom 6 for now, possibly not ever.

24. Joel Pepin says:

striatic,

Striatic… from the perspective of making the team better moving forward, I agree with your comments.

However, from the perspective of the trades making the Oilers better next year, compared to last year, I’m not super optimistic.

Ference over Whitney – this I agree is a clear upgrade (unless age hits him hard)

Perron over MPS – regardless of how I feel about this trade (I hate it right now, though I’m sure my opinion will eventually approach indifference), I will concede that Perron next year will almost certainly deliver more than MPS did last year.

Gordon over Horcoff – I think it’s been established that Gordon is a younger cheaper Horcoff. While it’s great that we were able to get a younger Horcoff for next year, I doubt Gordon’s play next year is significantly better than Horcoff’s was last year.

LaBarbera over Khabibulin – keeping Khabi moving forward would not have made any sense; however, he did have a 0.923 save% last year (same as LaBarbera, on a Phoenix team). This looks like a wash at best, and minor drop in quality at worst.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    So, does Perron (vs. MPS) and Ference (vs. Whitney) get us in the playoffs? I don’t think it’s close.

EDIT If Gagner goes to arbitration and gets traded for a lesser Centreman, that would massively overshadow the incremental improvements I expecting from the Perron and Ference deals.

25. 719 says:

I like the trade. I think giving up PRV is a gamble but to get quality you have to give up quality.

Will MacT sign Steckel now? Seems like the perfect fit for our 4th line centre.

26. Racki says:

hags9k:
    And sliding under the news of the trade is the news Samwise goes to arbitration.I don’t see this ending well.

I actually do.. it doesn’t always work out for the player. Stephen Weiss.. could be used as a comparable. He brings more defense though and much better faceoffs… less offense though (the age might be a big factor though). On the whole, I’d say I’d sooner have Weiss, and he made $4.9M… I could see an arbitrator awarding him $4.5M or so. But I think what will happen is the Oilers will wait and see if they can get someone else for C. If not, they’ll continue dealing with Gagner. I bet this doesn’t even go to arbitration. But I hope that the Oilers don’t overpay to prevent that.

Anyways, hard to say how this will go. His defensive game and faceoff skills are lacking. His offense is pretty decent though. It’s probably a good thing he tailed off at the end.

27. Gordies Elbow says:

I’ll miss PRV. Really liked him, and felt he was developing into a useful player.

That said, are they a better hockey club today than yesterday?

Likely.

Perron is a competitor. Hall is a competitor. Eberle is a competitor. Yakupov is clearly a competitor. It’s turning into an interesting cluster of players, and on paper, this trade could be a watershed development in the rebuild.

Now back to fretting about the Gagner extension.

28. Thor762 says:

Perron just said in an interview that he prefers playing LW. So that’s great for Yak who can stay on the RW.

29. hags9k says:

I’ll stay hopeful too. Should have been done last year, bla bla bla insert Tambo insult here.

It really looks like it comes down to pick your poison. Is it worse to give him the 6 x 5.5, perhaps a year longer and 1M per more than the club would ideally like, or have to deal him between now and the deadline for let’s face it, less than 100 cents.

An extra 500,000 against the cap for 6 years or a return of spare parts for him before the deadline?

Pay the man. Tell him we believe, slap the A on the jersey, start practicing draws.

30. RexLibris says:

I recall a comment a while back comparing Paajarvi to Raymond and one (in)famous commenter suggested that Raymond “eats Paajarvi’s lunch”.

Paajarvi and a 2nd for a bona fide, 50-60pt 2 LW at the tender age of 25.

Mason Raymond still a free-agent as of July 10th.

Interesting how things can look from a different perspective.

31. Numenius says:

Wow, we took Plante at 15 in 2007 and left Perron on the board? That’s tough to take.

LT, could you direct me to where you find the advanced stats?

Numenius:

LT, could you direct me to where you find the advanced stats?

33. Joel Pepin says:

This Gagner contract thing could blow up, and unless he signs to a multi-year extension not exceeding $5M, I’m only coming up with negative scenarios:

(1) Arbitrator gives Sam > $5M… Sam would expect a raise at the end of next year, really pushing him outside of our cap structure.
    (2) Arbitrator gives Sam < $5M (yay), but Sam leaves to UFA at the end of the year to get "a fair contract"

So, does this mean the Oilers try to avoid arbitration at all costs?
    (3) Panic trade him for a lesser player.
    (4) Overpay him to avoid arbitration (refer to point 2 – take that cap structure)

Or, does this mean the Oilers trade him at the deadline to minimize losses:
    (5) The Oilers are in a playoff position at the deadline, but trade Gagner, end up stumbling and miss the playoffs (yet again)
    (6) The Oilers are out of a playoff position at the deadline, making it impossible for any player to look good, resulting in an especially poor return for Gagner

Someone please convince me that this Gagner thing will end up fine…

34. cabbiesmacker says:

Overpay? Huh?

The only thing keeping Perron from being the #1 LW in town is Taylor Hall and he’d cause 80% of the NHL’s LW to be demoted. And we got him for a # 3 LW and a huge MAYBE draft pick.

GREAT trade. A clear UNDERpay. Didn’t think MacT had it in him.

Sorry LT but I”ve followed Perron’s every move since he was drafted then amazingly made the Blues at 18. You’re mistaken and that’s ok.

35. RMGS says:

Good trade. Perhaps MPS (or that 2nd round pick) becomes a better player than Perron in a couple of years, but the Oilers have a legit 2LW to round out their top six at least for the next three years. I’ll take that over hoping that MPS becomes the player some want him to be.

Now, let’s wish MacT luck signing Gagner!

cabbiesmacker:
    Overpay? Huh?

GREAT trade. A clear UNDERpay. Didn’t think MacT had it in him.

I like Perron a lot too, he’s no doubt a quality option.

37. Numenius says:

Thanks! That’s fantastic.

38. cabbiesmacker says:

Lucinius:
    Still hate the deal, even if I understand it.

I’ll be watching a lot of St. Louis games this coming year,

39. jonrmcleod says:

RexLibris,

I’ve been wondering about Mason Raymond as well. Wouldn’t he be a good fit for the Oilers’ 3rd line? I’m surprised he hasn’t signed yet. Perhaps he thinks he’s worth more than he is.

40. Ribs says:

I don’t mind the trade. An actual NHL player with upside returned in the deal and that works for me. I think Paajarvi is another year or two away from being the player he will be defined as for his career. An impatient GM probably doesn’t see the value in waiting it out.

Now, will the return mark a line in the sand when it’s going the other way with Hemsky? We’ll see….

41. theres oil in virginia says:

hags9k:

I’ll stay hopeful too.Should have been done last year, bla bla bla insert Tambo insult here.

It really looks like it comes down to pick your poison.Is it worse to give him the 6 x 5.5, perhaps a year longer and 1M per more than the club would ideally like, or have to deal him between now and the deadline for let’s face it, less than 100 cents.

Pay the man.Tell him we believe, slap the A on the jersey, start practicing draws.

The voice of reason! Exactly.

Pay him market value and move on with things. If he wants a no-trade clause, that should knock some off the dollar number. I still think Krejci’s number is a good starting point.

42. Evilas says:

Gordies Elbow,

I am a Paajarvi fan, I would pay admission to watch him skate, just amazing how he flies down the ice……..now I am kind of a Blues fan…. I think he will do extremely well there.

As far as Ference replacing Whitney, I disagree. Larsen, Belov and Klembom (most likely) all replace Whitney (and Fistric and Potter, although it’s possible Potter will stick around in the org in the PB or OKC).

43. jonrmcleod says:

I think most (if not all) of MacT’s moves this summer have resulted in upgrades. But I think the return from the Hemsky deal will be critical. If MacT gets only a pick and a prospect for Hemsky, then the team is no further ahead.

44. Lois Lowe says:

It’s always sad to see a kid with promise go the other way in a trade, and Oiler fans get really attached to our kids, but this is good hockey trade for both sides. MPS fits with the type of game Hitchcock plays, and I think will be dangerous with Sobotka next year. However, MacT addressed a need at 2LW and for that I am thankful.

45. cabbiesmacker says:

hags9k:

5.5 for Gagner would be absolute folly. A joke more likely. Within a half mill of Hall and Eberle. Toews and Kane.

I may may swallow my epiglottis laughing.

Trade him while you’re on a roll MacT.

46. Evilas says:

cabbiesmacker,

I thought Perron was not drafted til his second year of eligibility and then was drafted the next year and immediately made the team. Wouldn’t he have been 19? Still amazing though…..he reminds me of Hemsky the way he moves on the ice (of course with much more grit and a much better shot).

I read on a Blues blog that Perron was playing 3rd and 4th line minutes later in the season…..do you know anything about that?

47. Numenius says:

cabbiesmacker: Very doubtful. When you’ve had a chance to see Perron you’ll be saying “Magnus who?”

Do you think his play last year was still affected by it?

48. G Money says:

jonrmcleod:

Well, yes and no. If we get a pick and a prospect, it also means $5M in cap room. if we then use that to turn around and sign, say Damien Brunner, wouldn’t that be a pretty substantial win overall?

49. cabbiesmacker says:

Interesting now to look at the top 6F now:

Nuge-Hall-Eberle
    Gagner-Perron-Yakupov

Even more interesting to look at St Lou’s top 9.

Banger – Scorer/Banger – Banger/Scorer

Scorer/- Banger/Scorer – Scorer

Banger/Scorer – Scorer – Banger

Milktoast – Banger – Banger

He’ll fit right in to Hitch’s system I’m sure.

50. slopitch says:

How much cap space do the Oilers have? They can afford to add another F and D for sure. Plus add at the deadline.

The return on Hemsky needs to be good cause Hemsky is good. MacT did well replacing Horcoff with Gordon.

51. sliderule says:

This is a terrific trade by MacT .

MPS wasn’t going to play in our top six and didn’t have the grit to play bottom six.

Oh and LT keep bringing Bruce back to your show.I think his perspective on prospects is the best on net.
    Other than yours of course.

52. bookje says:

Those of us who like Paaravi need to factor in the possibility (liklihood) that he remains an enigmatic third liner who never really does what he needs to do to become the player he could be.

53. Kitchener says:

I’m really sorry to see MPS go, but this deal makes all kinds of sense.

The best part of this deal is how it shifts the age brackets. Gagner/Hall are not the old guys in the top 6 anymore. The cluster is not “a few years away”, but “why the hell not right now?” All because one kid got swapped out for one adult.

I also like that the 3LW spot can now be filled with a MacT 3LW. MPS was the wrong man for that role.

The biggest downer I can see is the size downgrade. We just lost 3 inches and 3lbs.

All around, this trade gets an A grade. We’ll see what hindsight says in a few years.

54. cabbiesmacker says:

Lowetide: I like Perron a lot too, he’s no doubt a quality option.

He’s a safe bet to cover whatever MPS might become LT and he does it in the now. Not 3-4 years from now.

Perron’s been playing in a defense first system and is going to have a ball in Edmonton.

55. justDOit says:

Numenius: Do you know if he only ever had the one concussion from the hit by Joe Thornton?

Do you think his play last year was still affected by it?

From his tsn/ca player profile that I looked at earlier, it appears that he missed the last 70-some games of the 10/11 season, and the first dozen or so of the next with the same injury.

56. Evilas says:

jonrmcleod,

Some of the comments I have read about Raymond is that after his 20+ goal season when he got injured (broken back) and came back, he wasn’t the same player. Doesn’t go into the dirty areas anymore and plays in fear of getting hit. Kinda sounds like PRV…..

57. dessert1111 says:

I will really miss PRV, but if you want to improve the team, these are the kinds of moves that need to be made.

I think a lot of us saw this sort of move coming. Easier to find a 3LW than 2LW, so in that sense this move is a step forward.

Could it end up biting the Oilers in the end? Sure. But all things considered this seems like a good trade.

Re: Gagner: I’m not convinced he makes the bet as a 5M+/y player. Since the Oilers could use a different mix of top-end forwards, I would be okay with him being dealt for a different kind of C, even if that C had less raw offensive potential.

I don’t know if we get the top pairing D we’ve all been dreaming about this summer, but I think the rest of the holes get filled before the season starts.

Farewell, Magnus. Blues are my second favourite in the West so I’ll be keeping tabs.

58. G Money says:

Evilas: I on a Blues blog that Perron was playing 3rd and 4th line minutes later in the season…..do you know anything about that?

Don’t think so.

He averaged 18:00min over the season.

By eye, it looks like the last five games were in the 14-17 min range, but the games before that were all in the expected 17-19 range. He was then around 15:00 for the playoffs, but finished at 18 & 19 mins. Might have been nursing a boo boo so they eased off a three or four shifts a game.

59. russ99 says:

With Perron in at 2nd LW, I wonder if this could mean not only the obvious Hemsky trade but also Gagner is on the way out. None of our top 6 plays an especially physical 2-way game, and Grabovski is ripe for the picking.

60. tcho says:

I like Paajarvi, don’t get me wrong. I hoped he was trending up (for real), liked the analysis that WG was doing that showed he was doing well this past year, and cheered for him.

But good for MacT getting this done. Honestly, folks – we wish and wish for the Oilers to make a 3-1 trade where they upgrade. Instead they make a 2-1 with a clear upgrade, and… consternation!

MPS is still a ?, Perron much more of a proven. Perron may get hurt, so might MPS (especially if he starts driving the net more/playing more physically as everyone keeps advocating).

I don’t get the reaction on this deal, frankly.

61. bookje says:

You know, some of us would have loved to keep Paaravi and his potential on the third line and at the same time we know we need someone like Perron on the second line and would have liked to get it for nothing, but its like the Rolling Stones used to say “Goodbye, Ruby Tuesday
    Who could hang a name on you?

62. Kitchener says:

If Gagner signs, the top two lines have a similar mould:

Center: vision, skill, terrible faceoffs (RNH, Gagner)
    Wing 1: absolute dynamo (Hall, Yak)
    Wing 2: hands & brains (Eberle, Perron)

63. "Steve Smith" says:

bookje,

That was almost as good as that Nietszche Family Circus link that you posted.

But aren’t you supposed to be banned?

64. Henry says:

Well something happened. Out goes a large, fast winger with developing offensive skills (though very poor training in 2011-12) and good defensive acumen and very good health for a smallish offensively skilled winder with less defensive acumen, but good training and questionable health.

Don’t we already have a smallish ridiculously skilled winger with some defensive or at least PVP ability and questions on durability?

I like Perron fine.

Hitch is going to love Paajarvi.

The hole at the top of the defense, the center depth problem and the perceived problem with size on the top six remain.

St. Louis capfucked themselves. Did we really have to give up MPS?

65. cabbiesmacker says:

Evilas:
    cabbiesmacker,

I thought Perron was not drafted til his second year of eligibility and then was drafted the next year and immediately made the team.Wouldn’t he have been 19?Still amazing though…..he reminds me of Hemsky the way he moves on the ice (of course with much more grit and a much better shot).

66. G Money says:

Kitchener:
    If Gagner signs, the top two lines have a similar mould:

Center: vision, skill, terrible faceoffs (RNH, Gagner)
    Wing 1: absolute dynamo (Hall, Yak)
    Wing 2: hands & brains (Eberle, Perron)

Good observation. It also means that if you want to get a stylistic difference between the lines, you could experiment with putting Yak/Hall as the wingers on one line, and Perron/Ebs on the other.

Amazing what having two NHL-calibre lines with all the players in the right positions will do for you.

67. bookje says:

“Steve Smith”:
    bookje,

That was almost as good as that Nietszche Family Circus link that you posted.

But aren’t you supposed to be banned?

I don’t think ‘that you posted’ means what you think it means.

68. Kris11 says:

Yeah, dealing Hemsky made sense if you were going to deal him to get cap space that you would spend on UFA’s.

But the UFA boat is gone (unless they get Grabovski) and the Oilers don’t need cap space as is.

Depth forwards would be good. A number 1 D would be better. But other than that, you’re set, and you need to figure out a way to add before you subtract Hemsky.

69. cabbiesmacker says:

Henry:
    Well something happened.Out goes a large, fast winger with developing offensive skills (though very poor training in 2011-12) and good defensive acumen and very good health for a smallish offensively skilled winder with less defensive acumen, but good training and questionable health.

I like Perron fine.

Hitch is going to love Paajarvi.

St. Louis capfucked themselves.Did we really have to give up MPS?

Seen him good?

70. Kris11 says:

Also, is it me or does MacT hate 2nd round picks? He deals them away like they are Romanian orphans.

71. "Steve Smith" says:

bookje: I don’t think ‘that you posted’ means what you think it means.

I don’t remember that song; was it from Exile on Mainstreet?

72. Ducey says:

cabbiesmacker:
    Overpay? Huh?

GREAT trade. A clear UNDERpay. Didn’t think MacT had it in him.

I tend to agree with you but I think Perron wasn’t drafted in his draft year and then went in the first round the next. He would have been 19 when he started in the bigs.

I am not convinced MPS will ever put up more than 40 pts. He has a muffin for a shot and will never shake his defenseman DNA. He will be a very good 3rd line winger, kind of a Mike Grier but without any grit. I think Perron is a much better player than that. He seems to be able to be able to be play some D and score. Has some grit. He could be pretty dynamic now that he is out of Alfred’s system. He seemed genuinely excited to have been traded.

Hemsky is most definitely next on the gangplank.

MacT is starting to show one thing in all of his moves. He wants guys that compete every shift. Almost all of his moves and picks show that common thread. The only one that doesn’t is Jones – and he was told he needed to increase that prior to being signed.

73. cabbiesmacker says:

Do you think his play last year was still affected by it?

I think Hitchcock went with a balanced lineup much the same as Quenville did the last two is all. St Louis is a damned deep team and to be honest I never saw Perron play much lower than line 2.

For all those who have not seen Thornton’s BS on Perron.

2 game suspension for that? Another reason Shanahan is a joke.

74. jonrmcleod says:

Henry: …for a smallish offensively skilled winder with less defensive acumen, but good training and questionable health.

I like Perron fine.

I don’t think “like” and “fine” mean what you think they mean.

I’m a little disappointed that DSF never tried to post as Captain Haapy.

76. striatic says:

not sure if anyone has posted this one yet ..

77. cabbiesmacker says:

cabbiesmacker: Born in 88. Drafted in 06. Blues had multiple firsts if memory serves. He was their second or third .He had just turned 19 but it was his first year of draft eligibility I’m pretty sure. Made the Blues that fall.

Sorry. 07 pick then made the Blues that fall.

78. Ducey says:

I’m a little disappointed that DSF never tried to post as Captain Haapy.

You would put out another “Get Happy” warrant for his arrest and he would spend another evening by himself tormenting his cat with tales of Wellwood.

Seeing he was banned on the Partridge Family thread maybe he could start posting under the name of Danny Bonaduce

79. jonrmcleod says:

If you need your fix of DSF, he commented on Oilers Nation. He seems to like the deal for the Oilers.

80. Numenius says:

He was drafted in 2007. We took Plante at 15 and the Blues took Perron at 26.

Edit: Ah, I see you got that.

81. matt says:

I have assumed throughout that Hemsky was untradeable. And hence wanted Jagr to play with him and Gagner. Now that there is a different 2L, any ability to sign, say, Grabovski and Jagr? (cap left is $7.6M). Assuming that could be wiggled by ditching or burying spare parts, getting both for a total hit of $8.5M, the lines would be:

1 RNH-Hall-Eberle
    2/3 SG-DP-Yak
    2/3 Grabo-Jagr-Hemsky
    4 Gordon/Smyth/Jones
    Brown

Is that bold? Just old and expensive?

82. Capt'n böökje says:

I’m a little disappointed that DSF never tried to post as Captain Haapy.

That guy is not very tricky.

83. "Steve Smith" says:

So this leaves us with the following bottom six, as of right now, right?

Smyth-Gordon-Hemsky
    Joensuu-Lander-Jones

This assumes that we keep Hemsky, of course; if we trade him, it’s probably a fair bet that, in terms of raw quality of player, it’s for a downgrade (it could still be a good trade if the other player is some combination of younger, cheaper, and healthier, of course; it’s just unlikely that the player will be as good).

I’ve liked a lot of what MacTavish has done, but going into the off-season we’d all identified “fix the bottom 6″ as maybe the top priority for the off-season, and so far it’s been a bit of a stinker by that measure.

84. Capt'n böökje says:

I’m a little disappointed that D.S.F. never tried to post as Captian Haapy.

Yeah, that guy is not very sly!

85. Henry says:

cabbiesmacker: Perron is 6″ and 200 pounds. Not defensively inclined? Try every bit as much and maybe moreso than MPS.

Seen him good?

I’ve seen Perron torch the OIlers like the rest of the Blues, particularly in St. Louis. Perron is a fine player, but he doesn’t change the needs of the Oilers that much.

I was hoping to get Bowmeester out of St. Louis given their iffy signing of Roy and exposure to offer sheets for Stewart and Pietrelangelo.

St. Louis has a fine player and fewer problems now. We still need a D to push everyone down the chart one spot and lost two of four evident bargaining chips.

86. striatic says:

Capt’n böökje: This assumes that we keep Hemsky

i think trading Hemsky this summer is a mistake.

on the other hand, not trading him during the season next season would also be a mistake.

let him play and bring his value up. it’ll be better for both him [because he'll end up on a better team] and for the Oilers [they'll get a better return].

87. lance says:

So if Sam goes to arbitration and the Oilers say that Gordon will be lining up at #2 thus Sam will have to play 3C, does Sam shudder? Does he start to cave slightly?

I got the whole experience on that trade. First the glee in hearing of a hockey player who both can order a beer in a US bar and is worthy of a fantasy roster spot, then the shock of hearing the price, anger, query, and debate. Been since Lubo for Whitney kinda.

Maybe they think they’ve replaced Maggie in Shlepshev.

88. cabbiesmacker says:

striatic:
    not sure if anyone has posted this one yet ..

Pretty high shooting % almost every year of his career too. Definitely knows what to do with the puck when it’s on his stick.

89. magisterrex says:

striatic: i think trading Hemsky this summer is a mistake.

90. Big Dan says:

So I guess the plan to settle for an overpaid Umberger or Malone is out.

You always take Leaf players with a grain of salt. They get overhyped and turn to dust elsewhere. However, I did not realize the consistency of Grabovski (48, then 51, then 58) before last year.

If we could get that kind of production for $4.5M, it gives us options. We may have to trade Gagner (I like the Tyutin idea) at a discount but we’d already have his replacement.

Someone here mentioned Eberle played C in junior. I highly doubt that’ll happen but I wonder if MacT has considered that as an option. If we can’t get anything for Hemsky (I’d do the Zack Smith deal if the rumor is real), perhaps we keep him.

If Hemsky is back on the top two lines, his stats will improve over last year. He’d either be useful or we trade him at the deadline for more than we’d fetch now? We’d also have to hope he stays healthy – yeah, fat chance. Hemsky had a torrid start to last year and we all got excited about how good he was with two good shoulders. Then he broke his ankle and fell off a cliff.

91. Capt'n böökje says:

striatic: i think trading Hemsky this summer is a mistake.

92. cabbiesmacker says:

Henry: I’ve seen Perron torch the OIlers like the rest of the Blues, particularly in St. Louis.Perron is a fine player, but he doesn’t change the needs of the Oilers that much.

St. Louis has a fine player and fewer problems now.We still need a D to push everyone down the chart one spot and lost two of four evident bargaining chips.

Agree with most all excepting I’m not a big JBoo fan and I think Perron is a fantastic fit as a 2 LW. If Gagner + Hemsky + picks + prospects could add the centre you and I probably would agree on and a top 4 D the OIlers would be in fine shape. Lots of time to pick quality off cap strapped teams yet.

93. justDOit says:

Capt’n böökje,

and then you’ll be Capt Borg?

94. Kris11 says:

"Steve Smith":
    So this leaves us with the following bottom six, as of right now, right?

Smyth-Gordon-Hemsky
    Joensuu-Lander-Jones

Yeah, he needs to add a 4C or at least one more 3rd liner to bump Jones down in the order. But the bottom 6 is cheaper without Horcoff, and now doesn’t have Petrell who was a legless giraffe 5×5, and it looks like Brown might get squeezed out of the starting lineup, too. Better than last year, but needs a little upgrade. Amd needs a big upgrade if they dump Hemsky for little or for a Dman.

95. Kris11 says:

Big Dan,

Hall can and will play C at some point in his career, IMO.

96. "Steve Smith" says:

“Steve Smith”: Steve – now other people are attributing your quotes to me, soon I will have completed my takeover of your identity!

I don’t remember saying that. Was it from Exile on Mainstreet?

97. Thor762 says:

Safe to say that Lander doesn’t get his number 57 in the fall?

98. Kris11 says:

MacT has met my minimal demands for the roster. Enough turnover that I can reasonably expect a different team that could make the playoffs within reason.

99. Kris11 says:

You can’t alaways get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you might find that you end up in jail.

I think the Oilers have to improve the 3line now. I mean, like before bed time.

101. Gordies Elbow says:

Evilas,

A healthy Whitney is a good to great player. That said, I think he’s still adjusting to “his new reality” due to injuries, and I see him as a borderline NHL player. Can’t pivot, can’t play defence.

Perron will improve the PP, can play on the PK, and comes with experience. Hate to see PRV go, and hate to see a 2nd rounder go, but he’s a legitimate NHL player, and could be a top liner on many teams.

When was the last time that Edmonton had 2 legit top line left wingers?

102. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Capt’n böökje: Yeah, that guy is not very sly!

Say what?

Way too many Captains!

103. Kris11 says:

I am worried they won’t call him MPS in St. Louis, but just Paajarvi.

104. Maverick says:

2009 seems like just yesterday….

I really liked MPS when he was drafted, still think he will turn out to be a pretty darn good player. Might take the Swedish forwards a little more time to develop over here versus Swedish defenseman. I wish Paajarvi all the best and he will have a terrific coach to learn from in Hitch.

This is a different trade for the Oilers, it has been the other way around for so long, trading an established player for a prospect and a pick. It’s kinda nice to be on the side for a change. Perron is a really good player and at 25 he still has room to grow. Glad he is here, at least there is someone else on LW who can take the heat off of Hall.
    Welcome aboard Mr.Perron. The fans will learn to love you, just give us some time.

105. "Steve Smith" says:

Kris11:
    I am worried they won’t call him MPS in St. Louis, but just Paajarvi.

That’s a serious concern. I really want him to become a star player in the NHLer whose name everybody abbreviates as “MPS”, but virtually nobody knows why.

I had similar hopes for Allan “Hot Doorknob” Rourke.

106. Henry says:

cabbiesmacker: Agree with most all excepting I’m not a big JBoo fan and I think Perron is a fantastic fit as a 2 LW. If Gagner + Hemsky + picks + prospects could add the centre you and I probably would agree on anda top 4 D the OIlers would be in fine shape. Lots of time to pick quality off cap strapped teams yet.

cabbiesmacker,

Yeah, Here’s to hoping. It’s not an awful trade, but man I’m worried. In a way it should make signing Gagner easier. Wouldn’t you want those two shots to feed the puck to? The Oilers can’t lose Gagner now, and he has their balls in a vice (This is very tough on Lowe and MacT, but Tambi escaped). Which is fine, they deserve it with last year’s one year ‘underpay’.

Essentially, trading Gagner and Hemsky for defense opens up more wounds.

107. Young Oil says:

I think the Oilers have to improve the 3line now. I mean, like before bed time.

Agreed. If Jones is on the third line come this fall, that is a big problem. Hemsky needs to be dealt to fill these holes. What options out there do you think are best? Could Hemsky @ $2.5M+a pick/prospect bring in a 4th line center and 3rd line winger?

I know I’ve mentioned this a few times, but would Nick Palmieri be a good depth option? 6’3”, 220 lb, 25 points in 87 NHL games. Not sure if he’s a UFA or RFA though, TSN and Capgeek say two different things.

“Steve Smith”: That’s a serious concern.I really want him to become a star player in the NHLer whose name everybody abbreviates as “MPS”, but virtually nobody knows why.

I had similar hopes for Allan “Hot Doorknob” Rourke.

Was that the guy Staples thought was something else? I mean before Oleksiak?

109. theres oil in virginia says:

I’m a little disappointed that DSF never tried to post as Captain Haapy.

He posted as his “regular self” on the old thread earlier. He was quite demure, with only a small parting shot at Paajarvi.

I’m not sure what got him banned, but I’m guessing his reputation preceded him. He does have moments of lucidity, although lately they are the exception not the rule.

I feel a bit like the public defender by posting this.

110. Young Oil says:

Also, LA could be in for some problems with 4 RFAs going to arbitration, and Clifford still needs to sign too. Would love to get one/both of Clifford or Muzzin.

111. spoiler says:

Dead Cat Bounce: Say what?

Way too many Captains!

Please tell me this isn’t the latest iteration of the bitterness.

112. PunjabiOil says:

The team lost Horcoff for a long stretch, didn’t replace him, and that cost them.

A healthy Gordon is vital going into this season.

If they can sign a Brenden Morrow or similar guy to fill up the third line, and a Paul Ranger on D, that combined with improved coaching and internal development (Eberle, RNH, Yakupov) could make this team a playoff contender.

Fantastic player acquisition today. Have always like the player. Gives 6 legitimate top 6 guys the top 6. I would preferably keep Hemsky around too, if you don’t get reasonable return on him.

Jonathan Willis ‏@JonathanWillis 3h

David Perron’s a career 13.5% NHL shooter. Magnus Paajarvi once cracked the 8% mark as a pro. One guy finishes, one guy doesn’t.

114. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Here are the players who filed for arbitration:

TORONTO (July 10, 2013) – Twenty-one players have elected Salary Arbitration:

Winnipeg Jets
    Zach Bogosian
    Bryan Little
    Paul Postma
    Eric Tangradi
    Blake Wheeler

The deadline for Club-Elected Salary Arbitration notification is July 11, 2013 at 5:00 p.m. EDT. Hearings will be held in Toronto from July 22 to August 6, 2013.

115. "Steve Smith" says:

spoiler,

He warned us last post or the one before that he might adopt this moniker, so I think it’s probably him, by which I mean me. Don’t tell Bookie.

116. raventalon40 says:

Am I the only one who doesn’t understand how the Vollman Sledgehammer works?

117. supernova says:

I think the Oilers have to improve the 3line now. I mean, like before bed time.

Tonight before cabin season when we all get cabin fever that our roster isn’t good enough.

118. cabbiesmacker says:

I think the Oilers have to improve the 3line now. I mean, like before bed time.

Sign Gagner? Theres your 3C. Paid like a first but what the heck huh?

Sign Grabo. Get a better 2C.for less money than Gagner is looking for. Then use Gagner and Hemsky ++ to get you those 3rd liners you covet OR a very good D.

119. spoiler says:

“Steve Smith”:
    spoiler,

He warned us last post or the one before that he might adopt this moniker, so I think it’s probably him, by which I mean me.Don’t tell Bookie.

Yeah, I remember that too.

So–um–ahhh… I promise not to blow your cover!

120. "Steve Smith" says:

raventalon40:
    Am I the only one who doesn’t understand how the Vollman Sledgehammer works?

I’m not sure if you’re the only one, but here’s a very brief primer: every player is first charted on the two axes, which represent offensive zonestart (x-axis) and quality of competition (y-axis). Taken together, those two measures give a good indication of the role a player occupies on a team; Lowetide has named the quadrants accordingly, so that a guy in the fourth (upper left) quadrant (lots of defensive zone starts against tough competition) is relied upon to be a “shut-down” guy. The player’s location on the graph doesn’t say anything about whether the player is actually any good, or at all suited to the role he’s being relied on to play; it just shows the role the coach is using him in.

Then each player is given a bubble to indicate his results, as measured by RelCorsi. Blue is positive RelCorsi, while orange is negative RelCorsi. The bigger the bubble, the further away from even the RelCorsi, such that a big blue bubble indicates a very positive RelCorsi and a big orange bubble represents a very negative one.

In summary, David Backes is a very good hockey player.

121. supernova says:

Great trade MacT.

We got a better player right now, for a promising player and a pick.

I am starting to feel Stu is useless with 2nd rounders any way. If we can also be a playoff team or borderline playoff team that is a pick around 45.

What’s the NHL’s success rate on picks 41 to 49. Can’t imagine it is higher than 10 % playing over 100 games.

I still think Nick Schultz Is getting traded for a 2nd or equivelant.

122. striatic says:

magisterrex: The time to trade Hemsky is when he is actually healthy. Every game he plays increases the risk that he will make himself untradeable.

he ended the season injured, so he needs to play a bit to prove he’s healthy.

once he does, the market for him will firm up.

123. Henry says:

raventalon40:
    Am I the only one who doesn’t understand how the Vollman Sledgehammer works?

St. Louis looks like an undergraduate class at Princeton. Everybody is above average and the competition is always tough!

124. Dead Cat Bounce says:

supernova:
    Great trade MacT.

We got a better player right now, for a promising player and a pick.

I am starting to feel Stu is useless with 2nd rounders any way.If we can also be a playoff team or borderline playoff team that is a pick around 45.

I still think Nick Schultz Is getting traded for a 2nd or equivelant.

2nd and 3rd round picks are all at around 20%. (a slight variance between rounds)

125. justDOit says:

Jonathan Willis ‏@JonathanWillis 3h

Well you’ve always had a soft spot for the Finish! Perron kind of fits that mould.

126. Capt'n böökje says:

I am not sure who I am now????

127. Numenius says:

For what it’s worth (mandatory grain of salt qualification), Eklund says he’s heard the Oilers-Blues trade isn’t the end of things and it’s somehow “all about Ryan Miller.” But the source didn’t say which team was looking for Miller.

Hmmm.

128. "Steve Smith" says:

Henry: St. Louis looks like an undergraduate class at Princeton.Everybody is above average and the competition is always tough!

You know that the orange bubbles are “below average” (in the sense of having a lower CorsiOn than CorsiOff), right? Seven of the thirteen bubbles are orange.

129. spoiler says:

The trade of Paajarvi had to ripple through the Gagner camp. In the poker game of contract negotiations, requesting arbitration is the logical next step.

I’m getting to the point where I will be surprised if Gagner is part of the opening night line up.

Rags are having a tough time signing Stepan to a contract, in a similar situation, except his PPG are better than Sam’s. Flip’em?

130. striatic says:

cabbiesmacker: Excellent. Here’s another you wouldn’t see Magnus score. Perron should slide in to the Oiler’s top 6 really nicely.

in fairness, that goal had as much to do with the defensive qualities of the 2009 New York Islanders as it had to do with David Perron’s offensive acumen.

Capt’n böökje:
    I am not sure who I am now????

Well, based on your pronounciation bubbles, your Corsi is in the Black sea.

132. justDOit says:

"Steve Smith",

Excellent explanation. I knew the generalisations, but that cemented it (for now).

Also – that entire frkn Blues team looks pretty good! Oh how I Eak for an Oiler bubble graph to resemble that!

Question for the group: would you deal Hemsky to Anaheim for Winnick and a 2nd?

134. spoiler says:

Wasn’t it Sather who was all about trading good picks, as long as they weren’t 1st rounders?

135. LMHF#1 says:

The answer is still Grabovski + Penner. Pennerpennerpennerpenner.

Grabbo and Penner? Man. MAN!

137. striatic says:

Lowetide: Question for the group: would you deal Hemsky to Anaheim for Winnick and a 2nd?

oh god yes.

Anaheim would never go for that though.

138. Young Oil says:

Question for the group: would you deal Hemsky to Anaheim for Winnick and a 2nd?

Hell yes. I’d even do Hemsky for Winnik straight across honestly.

139. Captain G MÖNEY says:

Ön the bandwagon.

I wrote a long critique in the last thread then my blackberry ate it.

I then wrote a longer response on my laptop in the last thread and Windows decided to update and it was lost.

I hope like hell this one takes.

I wrote this in the past: (stick tap to Romulus Apothesis)

ROMULUS APOTHEOSIS says:
    July 10, 2013 at 4:26 pm
    This is interesting… from our own WG:
    WOODGUY says:
    July 6, 2013 at 5:54 pm
    I like Perron and think he’d fit 2LW pretty well.
    Given his injury history and that he’s under contract for 3 more years I’m a little leery.
    I bet they would want Paajarvi though.
    I’m not sure I do that deal.
    12/13 5v5 pts/60
    Pajaarvi 1.54
    Perron 1.58
    Perron did it against tougher comp, but also had better line mates.
    Pass, not enough of an upgrade and concussion history scares me.
    Therefore MacT will do it.

I like the deal today.

The 5v5 pts/60 is concerning, but QC is a big deal here, as is Hitchcock.

I really like Paajarvi. When the MSM of Edmonton wrote that he should be back in the AHL last year I thought they were all wrong and wrote a post that LT was kind enough to post:

The MSM were wrong, Paajarvi was the best option for 3 LW on the Oiler last year.

That being said, I like this trade today because Perron is more of a Real NHL Player than Paajarvi and that is what is needed today.

It seems like yesterday that Taylor Hall was drafted by the Oilers, but its been 3 years. Now the Oiler have 7 years to make this team a winner and the clock is ticking. I think MacT hears it ticking more loudly than most.

Perron played the toughs and came out ahead. He certainly had great help with Bakes and Oshie, but he still played the toughs and came out ahead.

CorQC shows he was 4th last year, but that is because when it was a Dzone draw, Hitchcock spelled off Perron in favour of a 2nd center, either NIchol or Steen.

So if Hitch pulled Perron off in favour of the C, the was the “least most trusted” on the hard minute line. Not perfect, but he’s still on the hard minute line.

I think these are the mosst contributing reasons why Perron is a significant upgrade on Paajarvi.

1) Played the toughest minutes and came out ahead (Bakes and Oshie certainly drove the bus, but he was there helping)

2) He scored 5v5 at Paajarvi’s rate playing the toughest when Paajarvi got the easiest offensive minutes.

Pierre McGuire is right.

“Strong Muscular Thighs” rule the day in hockey.

As it stand, he is a tall, lanky man and gets pushed off the puck often.

Center of gravity has a lot to do with winning puck battles, MPS’ was high, he didn’t win many, and he is out the door for a shorter, lighter man, who wins more puck battles.

If there was one stat I would love to have, its Puck Battles Won/Lost.

Perron has a history of scoring, and scoring against tougher comp.

The Oilers need that today.

I think Paajarvi is going to be a lot like Dvorak, and Dvorak was a very, very useful player.

I trade Dvork in his prime for Perron in his prime if the 2LW slot is open.

I just hope like hell the concussion thing doesn’t bite Perron and the MacT in the ass.

141. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Anaheim’s RW depth:

Corey Perry

Selanne (if he comes back)

Emerson Etem

Jakub Silfverberg

Devante Smyth-Pelly

Brad Staubitz

Stefan Noesen

Zack Stortini

I would think the Oilers would have to eat half of Hemsky’s salary and thrown in a 1st round pick to even get their attention

Christ, I had no idea they’d added Stortini.

143. striatic says:

Anaheim’s LW depth:

Winnik

Belesky

Maroon

Friberg

Kurtz

Mitchell

there is absolutely no way ANA trades Winnik unless at least one LW is coming back.

this is because they have no LWs other than Winnik.

144. Henry says:

Question for the group: would you deal Hemsky to Anaheim for Winnick and a 2nd?

How about Winnick and Ottawa’s first?

145. "Steve Smith" says:

I am not sure that the Ducks would trade for Hemsky given their depth at right-wing.

It’s like the Stones said: “You look for the guy who benefits, and I am the walrus.”

146. Capt'n böökje says:

Captain G MÖNEY:
    Ön the bandwagon.

All the cool kids spell it Capt’n like the cereal.

147. Henry says:

"Steve Smith": You know that the orange bubbles are “below average” (in the sense of having a lower CorsiOn than CorsiOff), right?Seven of the thirteen bubbles are orange.

How can they all see tough competition? All but two are above the X axis. That’s what I facetiously meant.

148. Capt'n böökje says:

Christ, I had no idea they’d added Stortini.

Today

149. jonrmcleod says:

Capt’n böökje,

It’s actually “cap’n.”

150. "Steve Smith" says:

Capt’n böökje: All the cool kids spell it Capt’n like the cereal.

You might want to look up how the cereal spells it.

(My bologna may have a first name, but my breakfast cereal has a military rank: Master Corp’ral Bran Flakes.)

151. Kris11 says:

“Steve Smith”,

I was going to go to all the St. Louis blogs to see if I could get them calling him “MPS” but then I realized thatthe St. Louis blogs are in a bad part of the internet.

152. wheatnoil says:

Woodguy:

So if Hitch pulled Perron off in favour of the C, the was the “least most trusted” on the hard minute line.Not perfect, but he’s still on the hard minute line.

In fairness, if Hitch is pulling Perron in favour of a second C, it just means that he trusts Perron less than Backes. He wouldn’t pull Oshie because he’s the centre.

Woodguy:

Backes and Oshie didn’t necessarily do better without Perron than with Perron, so how do you know they were driving the bus?

(The following are all zone-start adjusted corsi percentages)
    Perron with Backes: 52.3%, Perron without Backes: 52.4%, Backes without Perron: 52.2%
    Perron with Oshie: 52.0%, Perron without Oshie: 52.5%, Oshie without Perron: 49.5%

It seems relatively similar, but for Oshie’s slight drop-off without Perron.

153. Kris11 says:

My favorite cereal is Race Krispies.

154. Captain G MÖNEY says:

Woodguy: Perron has a history of scoring, and scoring against tougher comp.
    The Oilers need that today.

I completely agree with you, but nonetheless posted a scathing retort in the other thread, which I feel obliged to repeat here:

With all due respect to Woodguy, who is obviously clairvoyant, a more fair analysis of Perron would include a few more seasons. Going back four seasons, his ESP/60 look like this:
    1.61* (I get a different number from Woodguy: 19 ESP over 709:57 mins ESTOI = 1.6056 ESP/60)
    2.12 ** 57 games
    3.12 *** (he only played 10 games this season so this number isn’t truly a valid sample)
    1.8 **** (full season, same age as Paajarvi and his 1.54 ESP/60)

I didn’t calculate his ESP/60 for the season prior i.e. 5 seasons ago, but its worth noting he put up 50 points in 81 games, his best total so far.

So if you’re going to compare Perron and MPS on EPS/60, it would be more fair to suggest that Perron is likely to fall in somewhere around 1.8-2.0 ESP/60 against tough comps, vs Paajarvi and his 1.58 against weaker comps.

155. Kris11 says:

“I firmly believe that if Paajarvi had larger legs and a bigger ass he would have won more puck battles.”

I did not expect anyone to say that.

156. spoiler says:

Haven’t eaten cereal since 1997. Same year I quit KFC. No way that shit can be good for you.

157. Captain G MÖNEY says:

Grabbo and Penner? Man. MAN!

Grabbo and Penner and Gilby oh my.
    Grabbo and Penner and Gilby oh my.

Actully, with Perron on board, I’m no longer sure how the Grabo Penner combo fit …

Penner on 3LW? Sure, I can see it.

But Grabo plays 2C or it’s a waste … with Perron at 2L and YakCity at 2R, you can’t move Ganye to the wing – does that mean he’s out the door for defensive help?

158. Capt'n böökje says:

jonrmcleod:
    Capt’n böökje,

It’s actually “cap’n.”

Well that just seems juvinial doesn’t it.

“Steve Smith”:

Hahahaha. You’re right! VERY FUNNY.

160. El Kapitan G MÖNEY says:

Capt’n böökje: All the cool kids spell it Capt’n like the cereal.

How you like me now??? Refusing tö köwtöw tö the cööl kids!

161. Alex T says:

Just did a Google search on Ryan Miller. Info on right side says he plays for the Edmonton Oilers. Can’t confirm. Say it ain’t so.

162. El Kapitan G MÖNEY says:

Alex T:
    Just did a Google search on Ryan Miller.Info on right side says he plays for the Edmonton Oilers.Can’t confirm.Say it ain’t so.

Wow, you’re right. That is frickin’ weird. But it says the source is Wikipedia, and if you click on the wikipedia link, it still says he plays for the Buffalo Sabres.

Who TF needs FOUR Ryans?? Three, sure, but four?

163. Bruce McCurdy says:

Thor762: Safe to say that Lander doesn’t get his number 57 in the fall?

Lander’s preferred number is actually 51. He didn’t get it cuz Phil Cornet had it first. Now Cornet is gone.

Problem solved.

Now if only we could solve the issue of #1D so expediently.

164. Kris11 says:

Wikipedia sometimes describes possible worlds, not the actual one. It is a glitch.

165. Bruce McCurdy says:

Lowetide: Christ, I had no idea they’d added Stortini

I would have mentioned it to you this morning except I figured you might put me on the spot about Zorg right on the air.

166. "Steve Smith" says:

El Kapitan G MÖNEY,

The Wikipedia article for Ryan Miller identified him as an Oiler for a little over two hours recently, thanks to this edit by a Rogers customer who geolocates to Mississauga. That gentleman’s other recent edits include replacing Gary Bettman with Wayne Gretzky’s evil twin, Whayne, and announcing Martin Brodeur’s retirement. So I think it’s safe to say that it’s probably Eklund.

167. "Steve Smith" says:

Mind you, he did correctly predict that Justin Trudeau would become leader of the Liberals about twenty-four hours in advance, but so did virtually everybody else, so I’m not sure if that counts as Woodguyian clairvoyance.

168. wheatnoil says:

El Kapitan G MÖNEY: Wow, you’re right.That is frickin’ weird.But it says the source is Wikipedia, and if you click on the wikipedia link, it still says he plays for the Buffalo Sabres.

Who TF needs FOUR Ryans??Three, sure, but four?

There are a number of reasons the Oilers should not acquire Ryan Miller, but this is by FAR the most important! Now, if were he were a Ryän….

169. Ducey says:

All you people have lost your minds.

Cpt Happy banned in the “Get Happy” thread.

Reincarnates, again. Is it DCB?

Bookie has never been the same since Ralph was gassed. Has changed his name 5 times since. Is apparently going to be looking for a 6th.

LT almost as sad over the loss of MPS as when MAP was ditched. (Nothing will make him sadder than that).

Punjabi actually likes something the GM has done.

Now, Woodguy is saying things like Pierre Maguire was right and talking about the size of guys’ asses.

I have been around for 5 years. Can’t imagine what someone just tuning in must think.

Of course, I enjoy every minute of it :)

170. El Kapitan G MÖNEY says:

“Steve Smith”:
    El Kapitan G MÖNEY,

The Wikipedia article for Ryan Miller identified him as an Oiler for a little over two hours recently, thanks to this edit by a Rogers customer who geolocates to Mississauga.That gentleman’s other recent edits include replacing Gary Bettman with Wayne Gretzky’s evil twin, Whayne, and announcing Martin Brodeur’s retirement.So I think it’s safe to say that it’s probably Eklund.

Awesome! I give props to that mystery Mississaugian – even if it is that douche Eklund!

171. "Steve Smith" says:

El Kapitan G MÖNEY,

Meanwhile LT’s cackling away, because he knows that it’s actually Richard Cloutier.

172. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Ducey:
    All you people have lost your minds.

Cpt Happy banned in the “Get Happy” thread.

Reincarnates, again.Is it DCB?

Bookie has never been the same since Ralph was gassed. Has changed his name 5 times since.Is apparently going to be looking for a 6th.

LT almost as sad over the loss of MPS as when MAP was ditched.(Nothing will make him sadder than that).

Punjabi actually likes something the GM has done.

I have been around for 5 years.Can’t imagine what someone just tuning in must think.

Of course, I enjoy every minute of it

Ducey.

John Ducey?

173. FPB94 says:

Sad. I like Paajarvi. I don’t think this was an overpay at all. Perron is a super fine player, exactly the kind of juice the OIl needed. Hard working kid.

174. Manitoba Oilers says:

LT who do u think will replace Paajarvi on the 3rd line

175. Captain Smarmy says:

Now get me a center Mac-T (and another dman… and trade Jones…)

176. gogliano says:

The math likes this deal:

At the draft, MacT traded two second rounders for the same return – two picks each time. Ergo, a second rounder is equal to two things.

Magnus Paajarvi is a third thing.

We traded three (3) things for David Perron, who is one (1) thing.

3 for 1.

177. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Captain Smarmy:
    Now get me a center Mac-T (and another dman… and trade Jones…)

Sign Grabovski.

Trade Gagner for Gunnarsson. (both going to arbitration)

Done deal.

gogliano:
    The math likes this deal:

At the draft, MacT traded two second rounders for the same return – two picks each time.Ergo, a second rounder is equal to two things.

Magnus Paajarvi is a third thing.

We traded three (3) things for David Perron, who is one (1) thing.

3 for 1.

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

179. jonrmcleod says:

“Steve Smith”,

I’m still looking for the Jack Johnson trade.

180. Maverick says:

Question for the group: would you deal Hemsky to Anaheim for Winnick and a 2nd?

Yes I would. WIth “Huggy Bear” Stortini there don’t think so. But call me crazy but I would also trade Hemsky to NYI for Matt Martin and a 2nd. With Clutterbuck there Martin might be available.

Martin can skate a little and likes to hit.
    TOI 2012-2013 regular season 11:54
    TOI : 2013 Playoffs 12:10

Hits
    2010-2011 = 299
    2011-2012 = 374
    2012-2013 = 234 (crazy number considering it was in 48 games!)

Might not be available however would be nice to have a player on the roster who enjoys the hitting aspect of the game in the new conference. Tavares to Hemsky has a nice ring to it too.

181. Dead Cat Bounce says:

A great read on the trade:

182. El Kapitan G MÖNEY says:

Wow, just took a look at Boston’s cap situation with the Rask signing.

1.3M over the cap with one player still left to sign.

The top 10 most expensive players (other than Iginla and Rask) all have NMC/NTC clauses.

Anything mitigating this horrendous situation for them?

Hey Boston – we’ll do you a solid and take Gregory Campbell off your hands. You can have your choice of any of our defensive prospects not named Klefbom or Nurse. Whatsay?

183. Gerta Rauss says:

St Louis blogger’s perspective-Hockeybuzz warning for those offended by the site

I like the deal. The concussion history worries me but we traded for an NHL player-a good one-and the team is better for it.

Now fix the 3rd line and resolve the Gagner situation.

184. jp says:

Question for the group: would you deal Hemsky to Anaheim for Winnick and a 2nd?

Yeah

Grabbo and Penner? Man. MAN!

YEAH

Kris11:
    I am worried they won’t call him MPS in St. Louis, but just Paajarvi.

Awww. That’s kinda sad. He’ll be missed for sure, and he’ll do well. Got a 2nd liner for a 3rd liner though, so can’t complain too much about the trade.

Nicholas:

Sounds like Perron can play LW, but I really think moving Eberle is the best option for improving this team in a big way.

Among the “untouchables” (Hall, RNH, Ebs, Yak) who would actually fetch a 1D or an improvement on Gagner at 2C, Eberle is the most expendable imo. And his trade value is higher than Gagner’s and far, far higher than Hemsky’s.

If moving Eberle for a D, Hemsky could slide back into the top 6. You lose a little up front, but we can hope for/expect more from Hemsky than last year.

If moving Eberle for a C, Gagner can slide over to replace him in RW. Honestly I think Gagner could seamlessly replace Eberle on RW and we’d barely notice. The worst case contract demands have Gagner asking for 5.5M. Ebs costs more than that, and would return more in a trade. Ditto for Hemsky.

I love Gagner as a player and don’t want to see him moved. That said, in terms of value to the Oilers relative to the players salary and what the player could return in a trade, moving Eberle sounds like a better option than moving Gagner or Hemsky.

185. wheatnoil says:

El Kapitan G MÖNEY:
    Wow, just took a look at Boston’s cap situation with the Rask signing.

1.3M over the cap with one player still left to sign.

Anything mitigating this horrendous situation for them?

Hey Boston – we’ll do you a solid and take Gregory Campbell of your hands.You can have your choice of any of our defensive prospects not named Klefbom or Nurse.Whatsay?

186. BlacqueJacque says:

So this right-shooting left winger and our left-shooting right winger will likely be on the same line.

I’m really curious to see how it will play out.

187. El Kapitan G MÖNEY says:

wheatnoil: I thought the same thing, but it was pointed out to me by Wunderbar that Savard will go on LTIR once the season starts. So that’ll reduce their cap hit.

Thanks, that’s what I was wondering. Makes sense.

Manitoba Oilers:
    LT who do u think will replace Paajarvi on the 3rd line

189. DeadmanWaking says:

Self-hydrating Ban Flakes with edible ker-fluff. the new sensation in breakfast cereal. RLA of Vitaminium A in just a single spoonful (Recommended Lifetime Allowance).

190. El Kapitan G MÖNEY says:

LT:
    - With a mildly improved defense (+Ference/-Whitney/+Belov’s potential/+JSchulz full-year adaptation)
    - Better top 6 (RNH with two shoulders, Perron at 2LW)
    - Still a complete shit show on the 3rd and 4th lines

Are the Oilers a playoff team?

El Kapitan G MÖNEY:
    LT:
    - Better top 6 (RNH with two shoulders, Perron at 2LW)
    - Still a complete shit show on the 3rd and 4th lines

Are the Oilers a playoff team?

I think the top 6 is better, and I think the blue is better, much better than people are giving credit for (Ference in, Whtney out is worth a few goals) and the G is better and less of an injury worry.

The checking line and 4line are a worry. I would sat they’ll miss the playoffs if they can’t improve that area from last year.

192. lance says:

spoiler:

Far out. I went veg the same year. And it was a KFC truck that flipped a switch.

If Penner did it we’d still have Magnus. If they all did it, BAM. Stanley Cup.

193. TheOtherJohn says:

Lowetide: Ryan Smyth on LW and Ryan Jones on RW at this point, unless Joensu can play at that level.

If that is going to be the 3rd line it is going to be a complete shit show

Not disagreeing with you but the 2 Ryan’s are unable to play tough competition

194. wheatnoil says:

El Kapitan G MÖNEY:
    LT:
    - Better top 6 (RNH with two shoulders, Perron at 2LW)
    - Still a complete shit show on the 3rd and 4th lines

Are the Oilers a playoff team?

Also, though I liked Krueger, there’s at least some evidence that the team regressed a bit by possession metrics under him despite having a very similar roster (other than the RNH-Hall-Eberle line). It’s possible Eakins can squeeze a little more out of the roster through line matching and other tactics, though that remains to be seen.

195. Ivan says:

Starting to really like this trade, especially after hearing his outlook and thoughtful discussion regarding his game and how it could fit in with with this team. http://downloads.oilers.nhl.com/12-13/20130710_perron.mp3 He also showed class in giving credit to Hitch and some of his former teamates for helping craft his game. Quality guy, by the sounds of it.

I think MacT pulled of a solid trade.

196. El Kapitan G MÖNEY says:

wheatnoil: I wouldn’t say the D is wildly better, but I wouldn’t under-emphasize the subtraction of Whitney especially when he’s replaced by Ference. Whitney was an unmitigated disaster by almost every metric AND by eye.

Heh heh, I did say ‘mildly improved’ not ‘wildly improved’!

I also ran a year-on-year Corsi comparison for the forwards and D from Renney to Krueger, and I think it is understating it to say the team ‘regressed a bit’ – they regressed a LOT under Krueger. All of the D save Schultz Sr (assuming you trust Corsi for D, which is not necessarily wise, but …) regressed to Alex Plante-ian levels … that is to say, the Corsi’s for the D under Krueger were comparable to Plante’s Corsi under Renney. Similarly cliff-like dropoff for the forwards save the 3 gifted kids on line 1 – dropoff especially noticeable for Hemsky and to a similar extent Gagner.

Mulling on the free agent list:

Would a 3rd line winger group of Raymond and Mueller, and a 4C of Wellwood (hello DSF) do the trick?

EDIT: waiting moderation – have I been put in DSF jail???

TheOtherJohn: If that is going to be the 3rd line it is going to be a complete shit show

Not disagreeing with you but the 2 Ryan’s are unable to play tough competition

Yeah, it’s one of the reasons I think this trade has to have a bookend, or another shoe, or the bottom of the bottle.

198. Doug McLachlan says:

One of MacT’s plans was to improve 2L. Instead of spending $6 million on Clarkson we spend MPS and a 2nd for Perron. Let me say here that Perron will out produce Clarkson – sometimes the best moves are the ones you don’t make.

Very interested to see what he does with Hemsky now.

199. Hammers says:

Hate loosing Mgnus but good trades mean giving somrthing up and this is a good trade . McT is not done . If Gags doesn’t sign a week before arbitration his gone . Still think N.Schultz or Smid get packaged with Hemsky . Keep trolling McT.

Newer Comments »