OLD ’83

I know as soon as this is posted, the Oilers will trade Ales Hemsky. Why? Because that’s the way these things work. Yesterday, Jim Matheson wrote his 83rd “trade Hemsky” article over at the EJ, and God love Matty he’s talking Ottawa (I’ve been talking to Travis Yost about a Sens-Oil deal for Hemsky myself). The article is here.

11-12 VOLLMAN

VOLLMAN JONES 11-12

There’s all kinds of good news here, Hemsky’s in the tough quadrant with a nice blue bubble (you can click to expand the Vollman). Now let’s run the Sledgehammer for last season.

12-13 Vollman

hemsky vollman

Hemsky–having an off-season–is still in the tougher quadrants and is a player the coach is counting on to deliver. We know he wasn’t right, the guy was hurt (no one argues against that, think the last detractors are gone on that one) so we’re talking about a veteran gutting it out. If Hemsky had been born in Wainwright, played injured and displayed that Vollman, we’d be singing his praises. Right?

Well, what if someone in the Oilers current projected top 6F gets hurt this coming season? Wouldn’t it be nice for the rookie coach to be able to trade his 3rd line Hemsky for a top 6 version? We’re talking about these rosters (at least we are for the most part) as if they are written in stone.

Not so.

In a way, Hemsky is kind of the perfect 7th option in that:

• he has good chemistry with several of the current top 6F.
  • he can man the point on the PP.
  • he has something to prove.

By The Numbers

• 06-07 5×5 per 60m: 2.09
  • 07-08 5×5 per 60m: 2.36
  • 08-09 5×5 per 60m: 2.08
  • 09-10 5×5 per 60m: 2.85
  • 10-11 5×5 per 60m: 2.88
  • 11-12 5×5 per 60m: 1.57
  • 12-13 5×5 per 60m: 1.40

His 5×4/60 number this year (5.87) tells us he’s still got it when offensive opportunities avail themselves, and he doesn’t have to carry the mail as much as he used to during the lean years. I think the Oilers would be wise to keep 83 and see if they can find him enough at-bats in the middle of the lineup to keep things interesting. That 3line doesn’t have to be a checking line, and Boyd Gordon can keep the back beat.

Keep Hemsky.

Fin.

(expect a trade in the next 10 minutes).

51 Responses to "OLD ’83"

1. PDO says:

I remain to hold hope, however misguided it may be, for a Ruutu – Gordon – Hemsky third line.

PDO:

PDO:

Salary wise that is a 2nd line, bordering on salary for a 1st line, not a 3rd line. A line like that isn’t sustainable in the long term. It is something you do once you are competitive pushing for contending.

4. Canadas Jamaican says:

LT, you nailed it…if he was a prairie boy, he’d be a legend for playing brave, sacrificing himself, and playing hurt. One of my all time favorite Oilers. Definitely the most misunderstood…

5. OilClog says:

Nultz goes to Carolina?

if Ruutu and Gordon do what any player ever that has ever had a point with Hemsky has done..give him puck, go to net with stick on ground, react like a ninja.. or at least try to we’re in terrific shape. Hemmer has always pushed the river no matter who against, if for a sweet baby jesus miracle we keep him, HAZAAH!

6. PDO says:

Lowetide: That’s a very nice line. Ruutu comes here, but who heads to Carolina? Blueliner?

Nick Schultz and something else I’d suspect is the deal both teams are looking for. What’s great about Ruutu is he can play C as well.

7. PDO says:

godot10: Salary wise that is a 2nd line, bordering on salary for a 1st line, not a 3rd line.A line like that isn’t sustainable in the long term.It is something you do once you are competitive pushing for contending.

Or it’s how a team takes advantage of it’s ELC’s.

Was Campbell worth 7.14?

Hell no.

Does Chicago win the cup without him in ’10?

Hell no.

RNH, Yakupov, J. Schultz, Petry and possibly Perron are all being paid much less than they should be. Have to take advantage of it.

8. OilClog says:

We need a “Props Hemsky” button, maybe even a bat signal for a gathering of Hemsky folklore. There must always be a squire for the Legend that is 83.

I play this in one window

while watching this, on mute, in another

9. Young Oil says:

I would love to see a player like Ruutu come to Edmonton, but not with 3 years left at $4.75M per. A contract like that for a 3rd liner could really screw us over when trying to sign our RFA’s.

10. lazerguidedmelody says:

To paraphrase LT from the Hall RE article: the Hemsky haters can kiss my ass. He’s been a mainstay of this team for years. Sometimes the only shining light.

But that said, that recent 5 on 5 decline in production is brutal. What’s worth more: the 2013/14 version of Hemsky on the 3rd line, or Hemsky (plus) flipped in order to round out the roster?

11. OilClog says:

Young Oil:

12. gcw_rocks says:

Didn’t he also bleed shots before the injury? Do you have splits before and after the injury that suggest his year turned dramatically? I don’t think that is the case but happy to be proven wrong.

13. Young Oil says:

lazerguidedmelody:

But that said, that recent 5 on 5 decline in production is brutal. What’s worth more: the 2013/14 version of Hemsky on the 3rd line, or Hemsky (plus) flippedin order to round out the roster?

It would have to be the right deal in order to trade him. If there was something like Hemsky @ $2.5M and one of our cheaper defenders fighting for the #6D spot (Potter or Larsen) for two bottom 6 players, ideally a #3LW and #4C, then I think that is something that needs to be done.

14. OilClog says:

lazerguidedmelody:

Who’s the player that rounds out the roster better then Hemsky effectively playing the stop gap? No one we can get in trade for him, keeping him is the best solution. He’s a bit of a puck hog, and one of the most difficult to get off the puck, and breaking the zones.. Who would be better?! No one, we’re looking the solution right in face..where’s the bat signal?

15. Young Oil says:

OilClog: If it was a 5 or 6 year contract I would agree. But it’s not, the cap will rise, and the contract will play no factor in negotiating with the emerging talent.

16. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Reminds me of this:

——-

Love Hemsky. Hate him not an Oiler. 3rd Line insurance is fine. Plug the 4C with Steckel and move on.

——

it’s strange that Matty didn’t mention the Smith trade… but maybe he will in another version… I don’t think he proofread that piece and if he did, I’d hate to see the rough draft.

lol. ‘trade for drew Stafford’ is spelled out in code.

18. lazerguidedmelody says:

OilClog,
    Young Oil,

I’m certainly not arguing that we should trade 83 for a bag of pucks. But neither the bottom 6 nor the D package is entirely convincing, especially compared to divisional strength (and that’s not mentioning Hemsky’s injury history, or MacT’s declaration that Hemsky has no future in Oiler silks). Simply put, 83 is an asset that can potentially bring back items to get us into the second season.

Or to put it another way – being European and hating that whole “Euros are soft” argument – thanks Ales, but I don’t see you retiring in Edmonton.

19. OilClog says:

Young Oil: Schultz, RNH, Petry, Dubnyk, and Yakupov are all likely to be asking for significant raises in the next 3 years. The cap isn’t guaranteed to go up either, it has been a much debated subject. I’m just saying that it could be an incredibly risky move, and not worth losing our young talent over. There are lots of less expensive players who can fill the same role at a fraction of the price.

20. Romulus Apotheosis says:

gcw_rocks: Which team is better, the one with Hemsky as the seventh forward or the one with Grabovski as the seventh forward? Pretty sure it’s the one with Grabovski. Cost would be the same or less. Grabovski spends much less time on the IR as well.

Grabo for sure.

but a few practical snags:

– I think MacT/Eakins care about “character” to much to chase Grabo.
    – I think MacT/Eakins are committed to a traditional 3rd line of shutdown bangers
    – I don’t think Grabo signs to play wing on a defensive 3rd line

gcw_rocks: Also not sure why Hemsky being hurt again would be a virtue even if he was Canadian.

The argument here is about narratives not performance.

21. Young Oil says:

lazerguidedmelody:
    OilClog,
    Young Oil,

I agree that Hemsky is an asset to any team, but personally I think the biggest need right now is bottom 6 depth. Like just to propose a potential deal, I’ve suggested if before, but nobody has had much to say about it. The Rangers have some really good bottom 6 depth, and need a #2RW. Hemsky seems to be a perfect fit. How about:

Hemsky+Potter, both at 50 percent cap hit

for

Boyle+Kreider, try to get Palmieri as well.

NYR gains ~300k in cap space, which could help a little in signing Stepan and Zuccarello, as well as a #2RW, and Edmonton gets 3 players with size who could play in the bottom 6, and also makes some room at defence. A mid/late round pick or middling prospect could also be added from Edmonton if needed.

That gives us:

RNH-Hall-Eberle
    Gagner-Perron-Yakupov
    Gordon-Kreider-Jones
    Boyle-Smyth-Joensuu
    Lander/Palmieri/Brown

That’s a lot more size, grit, and depth in the bottom half of the lineup, and it creates competition as well. If a deal like that, or a similar one with another team, I think the Oilers would be much improved.

22. Young Oil says:

OilClog: Ummm.. yea in the next 3 years.. when their current deals run up in 2-3 years. When Ruutu’s coincidentally runs up…hmmmmmmmm

RNH, Schultz, Petry and Dubnyk all run out in one year.

Yakupov runs out in two.

That means Ruutu is on the books when signing all of those players.

23. DeadmanWaking says:

Something changed on the site.

http://lowetide.ca/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/bg-new1.jpg absolutely killed my vertical scrolling performance on FF 22.0 / Linux Mint. There was a 1 to 2s pause after each click of my mouse wheel before any response on the screen at all. This screen is 1920 pixels tall.

Once I disabled the display of this image with an AdBlock rule, smooth-scroll returned to it’s previous rate of 10-15 screen updates per seconds. My Australian image colony under administration by AdBlock has fallen under the local control of ruffians from the fast-looping animated avatar non-human genetic tree. bg-new1 will never be the same after a few hours in there.

24. Mr DeBakey says:

A line like that isn’t sustainable in the long term.

Thank Dog 83 is UFA after this coming season.

25. russ99 says:

Hemmer is my favorite Oiler of the last 10 years and proof positive that round peg European players don’t fit in the square holes that some think they need to in able to be good teammates and players.

I’ll be very sad when its time to say “Sail on”. Hopefully not till the deadline in a deal that helps Ales and the Oilers.

I still maintain there’s no way we see Grabovski on the Oilers before the end of training camp. Gordon had to be given certain playing time assurances to sign here, and MacT isn’t going to burn FA bridges in his first offseason.

Besides, it seems that those wanting Grabovski seem to think he’s signing for half or more less salary and will take a 3rd/4th line role. That’s not how free agency works.

26. boopronger says:

Dubnyk won’t be more than a 3.5 mil goalie when his current contract is up, don’t think we’ll have to worry about a raise

27. Captain Smarmy says:

5-0

Captain Smarmy:
    5-0

5-0 and well clear of opponents. Impressive. And horrible.

29. Ca$h-Money! says:

I understand the argument for Hemsky’s weak numbers is that he was playing hurt this year. Fine.

But it seems like every year he’s either playing hurt (so his numbers/game aren’t what they need to be) or he is hurt, so he doesn’t play many games.

Reality is, the last time he had a good season was 2008-2009.

THAT’S 5 YEARS AGO.

30. hags9k says:

Hemsky is the high school girl who kept leaving you with blue balls. It ain’t going to happen. To Ott for Smith and a pick would be a fine trade.

31. Ducey says:

OTT can’t afford Hemsky. They have a $50 million budget and are already above it.

If you look at their roster there doesn’t seem to be a trade for Hemsky that would bring $5 million in salary back to the Oilers.

In short, Matheson is out to lunch.

Ducey:
    OTT can’t afford Hemsky.They have a $50 million budget and are already above it.

In short, Matheson is out to lunch.

Oilers can grab half the cap, though.

33. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Lowetide: Oilers can grab half the cap, though.

The best fit for Hemsky is Nashville.

They’re dreadful at RW and very solid at C.

Hemsky, some salary retained, for Paul Gaustad makes a lot of sense for both teams.

Dead Cat Bounce: The best fit for Hemsky is Nashville.

They’re dreadful at RW and very solid at C.

35. Dead Cat Bounce says:

You mean something more attractive than a 6’5″ 220 pound centre who wins more than 58% of his faceoffs and is signed for 3 more seasons at $3.25M?

Hemsky will never get anything more attractive than that especially if he spends a season on a 3rd line.

36. Racki says:

Lowetide: I think the Oilers should keep Hemsky unless something more attractive is available.

I think Hemsky would play quite well out east, so I’d like to see him traded there and sometime soon for some better help in the bottom six.

37. unca miltie says:

Racki: I admire your allegiance to Hemsky, and wish I could feel the same, but I just can’t watch another disappointing Hemsky year. He can only play RW, and Eberle and Yakupov are locks ahead of him. He’s not a bottom six guy, so why try and make him one? Why not move him for someone who is better suited for that role? If I’m not mistaken, you’re hopeful of having 3 scoring lines, but I don’t see that happening with the mix of bottom six players the Oilers have.
    What about that centre depth for hemmy. I remember seeing him play centre in the world championships, maybe he is the fill in while the nuge recovers

38. unca miltie says:

Any way, count me in as one who wants to see hemmer stay, even if I hate my auto spelling iPad

39. Racki says:

Dead Cat Bounce: The best fit for Hemsky is Nashville.

They’re dreadful at RW and very solid at C.

This idea works for me. He addresses the need for more size. Both players are struggling, but could get a boost from a new team. Even if Gaustad’s offense doesn’t completely return, I still think it would be a beneficial move.

40. supernova says:

Dead Cat Bounce: The best fit for Hemsky is Nashville.

They’re dreadful at RW and very solid at C.

I do this deal as well, although I don’t think you would need to retain to much to do this.

41. PerryK says:

Sweeeeeeeeet !:)

42. stevezie says:

Testify!!!

Look if Hemsky was garnering top-shelf offers it would be different, but someone please explain to me how losing a hockey trade would make us a better hockey team?

43. BlacqueJacque says:

Hemsky is gone at the deadline IMO. Not enough value before and I think MacT is smart enough to recognize a false spring (being in the playoff hunt without deserving it), unlike Tambi.

44. SinceTheWHADays says:

Ya. It looks like the smartest play with Hemsky is to wait until the deadline, unless someone comes to MacT with a good offer before hand.

45. Ca$h-Money! says:

SinceTheWHADays,

BlacqueJacque,

except that every year for the last 5 years he’s either been injured at the deadline (and thus untradeable) or has been playing hurt, thereby putting up poor numbers.

46. Romulus Apotheosis says:

But, for the first month or so Hemsky was on fire and even after that he showed some absolutely bad, bad bad man moves. I wasn’t disappointed.

That goal was sublime! He’s on the ice with Belanger for crying out loud! Look at that brutal pass out the zone Belanger tried to Smyth.

That pass from Smyth should also remind people the old guy still has some sweet hands.

47. gcw_rocks says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

If you sign Grabovski you either play him at third line centre and move Gordon to the third line RW spot, or if he outperforms Gagner then you slide Gagner down to third line RW. personally I would prefer option two.

48. Romulus Apotheosis says:

gcw_rocks:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

If you sign Grabovski you either play him at third line centre and move Gordon to the third line RW spot, or if he outperforms Gagner then you slide Gagner down to third line RW.personally I would prefer option two.

It would certainly create a lot of options. But I don’t know if Grabo will sign to play 3C, or assuming your other suggestion, that you will find Gordon or Gagner very happy in their new roles.

49. gcw_rocks says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

If you can find a decent third line LW, say in return for Hemsky, one that can score a bit, you have the fabled three scoring lines and depth at centre. And with RNH out for the first month you can give Grabovski and Gagner top six minutes and see who performs. There will never be a better time to bring in some competition for Gagner.

50. FastOil says:

Ca$h-Money!:
    SinceTheWHADays,

BlacqueJacque,

This.

51. OilClog says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Overall, fine. And the injury was tragic. Only Hemsky can break a foot blocking a shot and not get any respect.

If Smyth was out there with a broken foot making any plays.. people would be having parades. Everyone forgets no matter how bad that second line was, Hemsky was playing possessed the first month, turning people inside out. It was a joy to watch, why we’re trading this guy.. beyond me.

Joenssu? No idea yet how to pull this guys name up in my memory lol.. He could be the perfect player for Hemmer, Crash net, bang at puck.