RE 13-14 RYAN JONES: ACROSS THE UNIVERSE

Each year, the Edmonton Oilers return a current free agent that makes me wonder about their vision of the team. I call it ‘the Petrell’ and this year’s signing was Ryan Jones. Jones is a better player than Petrell, but is he a fit? The Oilers needed a ‘Pisani’ and brought back Jones. Is that a good idea?

RE 13-14: 73, 9-10-19

1. Man when you don’t like a guy it’s a real burial. What?
  2. Crappy song, crappy RE and your intro was brutal. Ass. The song (which will be discussed later in this post) is one of my all-time favorites–with this being the best version (even John Lennon said that was true). The RE assumes he’s going to score at previous 5×5 rates (about 1.38/60) and that his TOI per game will be rationed a little (my feeling is the 1-2 lines are going to get a push).
  3. Does he get PP time? No.
  4. Convenient. Jones played 19 seconds a year ago, let’s give him the same amount this season. I have him playing a lot more on the PK (1:23 a year ago, 2:28 in 11-12) but honestly all of these wingers are going to be playing fewer EV and PP minutes. For LW’s most of the PP time went to Hall and Perron, with a little for Smyth. I have Smyth and Jones playing big PK minutes and I do believe that’s very reasonable.
  5. What about even strength? Well one year ago, Hall played 15.5 EV minutes, Paajarvi/Yakupov about 12, Smyth 11.5 and Jones 11. I have Hall’s minutes slightly increased, Perron taking more time for the 2line and Smyth/Jones/the rest playing fewer minutes per game at 5×5.
  6. How much more offense does Smyth create than Jones in your model? They’re pretty much identical in points, I have Smyth playing a little more than Jones so Jones would be the more efficient 5×5 player.
  7. Why don’t you like Ryan Jones? We’ve been down this road before. I don’t dislike Jones, it’s just that player type we’re talking about (skill winger) doesn’t fit with team need (2-way winger). Hey, you know what? Here’s a great way to explain it. When I was young, Jones’ type players were among my favorites–one of them was a guy named Stan Gilbertson. He came up through the Bruins farm system and didn’t catch on until late 20′s when the Seals gave him a shot. Stan took advantage and established himself as a pretty decent scoring winger on some of the league’s poorer teams. I cheered like hell for Stan, from Oakland to St. Louis to Landover to Pittsburgh, always had his hockey card, every year they made one.
  8. Nice. And did he enjoy a long career? No, lost his leg in a car accident.
  9. Dammit you almost had me! Nice, fuzzy warm story about a childhood Ryan Jones and bam! the poor bastard lost his leg. Are you making this up? No, no. It really happened, it was really sad. I would never joke about something like that, hadn’t thought of it in a long time. That Seals team was star crossed, remind me to tell you about Gerry Odrowski or Joey Johnston one day.
  10. Why can’t Jones play the Pisani role? First, when they claimed Jones I thought it was a good move and wondered if he might be able to play the Moreau role. Jones himself told us why the Oilers grabbed him off the waiver wire (“They said they didn’t really have a ton of guys that fit my role. A power forward, goes to the net — that’s what they picked me up for.”) and none of it involved being a smart 2-way guy. In the FIRST RE the Q and  A went: If he’s on a scoring line, who is on the checking line with Fraser? God only knows. Jones might not be an ideal candidate for any of the roles we’re talking about but his resume suggests he’s better suited for a skill role. And you know what? That REMAINS the story for Jones, it just does. I’ll give him credit for being a solid penalty killer and he did (you can see it in the 2011-12 Vollman below) take on the tough minutes along with Horcoff, Smyth and Hemsky two years ago. However, I don’t think that’s his strength, and would feel more secure about the Oilers third line with more of a 2-way option.
  11. David Staples says “he can play strong defensive hockey if tasked with that” and says it here. David doesn’t say anything about the 3rd line shutdown role. In fact, he says “in the right role, that of a crasher and checker, Jones, 29, can be a useful bottom-line NHL player. He’s a decent penalty killer as well. He’s more than 200 pounds, a hustler, a fast skater, a decent along the boards.” I do think Jones will take on tough zone starts and a checking role at times this season. I’m not certain he’ll have that 3line role for most of the year–I have Smyth ahead of him and there are other names on the way–but I’m not convinced it’ll happen. I don’t think we can bury Jones based on this season, he was coming off an eye injury and that likely impacted his production. If he’s fully recovered from his eye injury (and the after effects, I can’t imagine how difficult it must be to suffer that injury and THEN return to a game that goes as fast as NHL hockey uncertain of visual range) I expect he’ll get his chances.
  12. Okay, what about his chemistry with Smyth? It’s weird isn’t it? Woodguy pointed it out awhile back and they seem to be able to impact the zone time together. I don’t know what to make of it, but that’s a story line worth following this coming season.
  13. What about the song? It’s maybe my favorite Beatles song (it’s either this, Here Comes the Sun, Money or There’s a Place).  I’ve always thought of this song as a chant, something you repeat during times of danger or depression–”nothing’s going to change my world”–this actually would be a good song to play during 3 and 4line shifts. Also, the opening line “Words are flowing out like Endless rain into a paper cup They slither wildly as they slip away across the universe” has always struck me as a clever way of talking about the endless useless stuff we talk about before getting down to business. At the end of our lives, no one ever laments not having enough time to talk about the weather. And maybe it’s a little about paying attention and learing your lessons.
  14. Deep. VERY deep. Oh go to hell.
  15. So you’re saying he’ll be better because of what he might have lost? I’m saying that Ryan Jones has an enormous opportunity, perhaps he’s thought about life after hockey and now he’s been given a second chance. Remember when Marty Reasoner was placed on waivers and then came back with a second chance? He was a different hockey player. I think it’s possible.

JONES 2011-12 SLEDGEHAMMER

jones 11-12 sledgehammer

Well there it is in black and white, Jones in the tough quadrant and playing things at damn near zero. The Smyth-Jones is a powerful thing, and let’s give credit where due–notice the extreme zone starts as well on the Sledgehammer.

JONES 12-13 SLEDGEHAMMER

hemsky vollman

He was not effective this season, and he was injured so that’s a reason. If he were born in Chatham we’d be singing his praises over the effort, so let’s try to be kind when discussing the Vollman on him.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

hurdle gif

Tough to get over the Monday hurdle, I think our guests this morning at 10 (Team 1260) will help get things rolling in a good direction. Scheduled to appear:

• Tyler Dellow from mc79hockey to discuss the Smyth/Jones 3line item, Grabovski as an Oiler and are the Oilers done?
  • Pepper from Pepper and Dylan on Virgin 1049. Pepper is an NFL fan and knows his stuff, I still think the Raiders are in Oakland. It’ll be fun.
  • Corey Pronman from Hockey Prospectus. Corey has his new Oilers top 10 up and you can check it out here.
  • Dave Gordon from Oil on Whyte. We’ll chat about Kyle Clifford, Ales Hemsky, Grabovski, Gagner, and other things too.

@Lowetide_ on twitter and 10-1260 via text. Your questions and comments welcome.

57 Responses to "RE 13-14 RYAN JONES: ACROSS THE UNIVERSE"

1. bookje says:

Why do you hate Jordan Eberle so much?

2. bookje says:

I think Jones is a marginal character who gets the job because he is a threat to score and because he is good in the room and he is coachable.

3. stevezie says:

Who is that girl?

4. Ducey says:

The Pisani has almost become a mythical figure around here. Do we have any advanced stats for him?

I am not an advanced stats guru, but isn’t a blueish circle in the less sheltered quadrant a good thing? I can see that there might be some concern when the Q of C goes up but it would seem he is a very good 4th liner, PK and a guy who might provide a option moving up and down the lineup.

Was Pisani always Pisani? Maybe he learned to play shutdown defence and Jones can too?

5. Ryan says:

Staples has confused ‘can Pk’ with can play ‘good defensive hockey 5v5′ more than a couple times before iirc.

Dustin Penner would have had an easier career if he spent some time watching tape of Ryan Jones. I’ve never thought of Jones as a ‘fast skater’ but even causal fans of the game seem to like Ryan Jones because he ‘huddles’ or at least looks like he does.

6. slopitch says:

Just got back from camping this weekend and am catching up on this weekends articles. One thing I noticed looking at the 2012-13 Sledgehammer graphs is that Edmonton has no players in the top left quadrant yet St Louis has 6 players. Is that a reflection of RK not line matching and Hitchcock line matching like crazy? The other thing about St Louis’s graph is that no one is in the bottom right. How is it that a better team then the Oilers doesn’t have any sheltered players – yet line matches like crazy? The bottom half of Edmonton’s grid is full and St Louis has 2 players even though St Louis was a much better possession team.

I get that blue circles are good and red are bad but overall I was expecting more balance between all 4 grids. St Louis and Edm are almost polar opposites in how they are managed but I still thought the players would be spread out more. If anyone has thoughts on this, I’d like to hear. Or maybe I should have the coffee before reading the articles and it will be obvious shortly :)

7. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Circling back to this article for a second:

I have a couple of thoughts.

*Twice, once in the subtitle and again in the body of the article, Matty says “Seven Jobs” on D. Once he does so after quoting MacT, but it’s unclear whether he is paraphrasing MacT or simply offering his own sense of how things ought to be.

At any rate, if that is MacT’s plan, you have to think a trade or something is coming due.

*Again Matty apparently paraphrasing MacT: “MacTavish thinks Belov, a nine-year KHL veteran (CKSA Moscow and Avangard Omsk) who turns 27 on Monday, is not far away from being an NHLer. He’s on a two-way contract ($15.25 million NHL vs. $70,000 AHL).”

“not far away”… hmm… I’m bullish on Belov, but that sounds like a tweener to me to start the season. LT may have picked right. I still think Belov will win the day.

*I think more and more Larsen was the “no, it’s ok, you don’t have to eat any of Horcoff’s salary, but you have to take this contract” type situation.

*this parting shot doesn’t scream confidence: ““Nick, Ference, Smid, Grebeshkov … any of those guys. We’re going to play faster, getting back to the pucks quick, moving it. We’d get the puck dumped in on us last year and we’d look around to see who would retrieve it. Now we have to pivot and get back to it.

“It won’t be without growing pains, but I think it’s got potential to be fairly entertaining,” MacTavish said.”

8. linkfromhyrule says:

I think 19 points might be a little low for Jones, but I guess it all depends on how well he is able to recover from that eye injury. You have to think that some parts of that injury aren’t going away right? Does anyone have any info on that?

also, I think hurdling is something I could get into ;)

9. bookje says:

stevezie:
    Who is that girl?

Check out the tumbler search for her – http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/michelle-jenneke

10. rickithebear says:

Ryan jones:

PK: +5GD for 2.12 Min/game.
    One of the best in the game.

Even: 11.36 min
    facing 2nd Comp -7GD
    Facing 4th Even GD

PP: 0.82 min
    +3GD

if we give him one of the two key Pk and 4th comp.
    He needs his PP time bumped.
    we are way ahead of the game.
    in trying to break even in GD (playoffs)

Oh and ryan smyth

11. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“The song (which will be discussed later in this post) is one of my all-time favorites–with this being the best version (even John Lennon said that was true). ”

I prefer the Beatles version and confess that Pin-Ups never did much for me. I like the hi-hat shuffle in this song from around 3:15 on… but that’s grasping for me. On that album, I like his cover of See Emily Play. It may be the only tune I like on Pin-Ups. Still… I prefer the Floyd version.

———-
    “Does he get PP time? No.”

How does Eakins feel about big fellas standing in front of the net. With Magnus, Horcoff and Harti gone… and Smyth getting on… Perron is the only option I can think of…. Maybe Eakins puts Jones, Joensuu, or…??? in there?

———
    Is it the flow that reminds you of Stan?

——–
    Questions 10 and 11 contain the following, somewhat amorphous, descriptions and definitions:

“the Pisani role”; “the Moreau role”; “my role. A power forward, goes to the net”; “a smart 2-way guy”; “a scoring line”; “a checking line”; “he’s better suited for a skill role”; “a solid penalty killer”; “a 2-way option”; “play strong defensive hockey”; “the 3rd line shutdown role”; “a crasher and checker”; “a useful bottom-line NHL player”; “a decent penalty killer”: “a hustler, a fast skater, a decent along the boards”; “a checking role”; “that 3line role”

I’m not sure what to make of this… other than it should be easier to talk about one player. We need a cleaner, clearer language to discuss these guys. This is a mess, which probably reflects the giant question mark hovering over Jones’ play more than anything else.

——–
    “If he’s fully recovered from his eye injury”

A question I have is whether Malholtra was actually done, or if Gillis was creating cap space… and whether MacT has the stones to do to Jones what Gillis did if he feels Jones is finished.

——–
    “a clever way of talking about the endless useless stuff we talk about before getting down to business. At the end of our lives, no one ever laments not having enough time to talk about the weather. And maybe it’s a little about paying attention and learing your lessons.”

For you leisure reading, Heidegger, Being and Time on “idle talk” and it’s importance

12. Romulus Apotheosis says:

bookje:

Ryan: I think Jones is a character who gets the job because he is a marginal threat to score and because MacT didn’t think better options were available.

Didn’t something really similar happen like a week ago with WG and DCB?

13. russ99 says:

LT – nailed it.

I was dismayed when they brought Jones back, especially when MacT said he’d be a third liner. All he can be counted on for is to chip in a few goals (which is a nice skill to have on the bottom 6) and eat some PK time. Average at best, which is an improvement of sorts from our way below average bottom six the last few years.

I was really hoping for that good shutdown 3rd line winger, as mentioned. Now we have to wish that either Joensuu can make a huge step up or Smytty finds the fountain of youth, otherwise we’ll be looking for a 2-way winger a month or two into the season, if not sooner.

Speaking of which, has anyone pressed MacT as to whether he’s going to ignore the waiver wire the way Tambellini did? IMO, it may be a higher-level thing, not to waste resources on claiming players you may lose later…

14. stevezie says:

bookje,

I hope she wins.

15. mps91 says:

Jones is fine as a 4th line option. He goes hard to the net and PKs, and there is plenty of value in a guy who pots 12-15 goals as a 4th liner.

LT, while you’re never short on material, what about a couple of articles looking at potential returns in a Hemsky trade. You, along with Matheson and many fans have identified Ottawa and Nashville as the most likely landing spots. Looking at some guys like Smith, Greening, and Gaustaud would be interesting. I’d happily part with Hemsky straight across for any of those 3.

16. LMHF#1 says:

I’m even more worried about having Jones on this roster if he’s given defensive responsibility. He cannot play that game. There are only two things he does well enough – forecheck and when he’s in close to the goalie (and even then, just barely). If he has any additional responsibility, he ceases to hit/forecheck, floats, and cheats defensively when his linemates are still attacking. A true trainwreck.

He’s a guy that will somehow be a negative influence on the ledger even if he scores 15 goals.

Unless things change, we’ll look back and think about the difference that replacing Jones and Smyth while adding a low-cost/high-potential option 3/4 C could have made.Better options all over the place.

17. Hammers says:

mps91:

Agree with MPS on this LT . Jones & Smyth should be 4th line wingers especially if Hemsky stays . Play well together and other option for 3rd line in Joensuu . Don’t think either Jones or Smyth get the points you project but both will get major PK time .

18. rickithebear says:

Ryan Smyth:

PK:
    2.30 min +4GD on of the best in the game.

Even:
    11-12
    -2GD 1st comp 4th team

12-13 527.3min 3rd com 4th teamatres
    +6GD 154.9/527.3
    Yakupov 69.3min
    jones 60.1
    Eberle 53.5 min
    RNH 47.6
    Gagner 28.3
    hemsky 23.2
    Lander 13.9
    HAll 13.9
    Smyth was even or plus with all these players that reamin.

-15GD 367.7/527.3 min
    Brown 175.3
    Pettrell 171.9
    Belanger 111.8 plus player with smyth
    Horcoff 92
    Smithson 59 plus player with smyth
    Eager 53.3 Even player the 2 years with smyth.
    MP 45.3
    Hartikainen 26.7
    the guy is a plus player when not saddled with brown, Petrell, Horcoff, MP, Hartikainen.

Do you guys think he stands a good chance of being a + player at even?

A Smyth-Lander-Jones line versus 3rd/4th +5GD@ Even.
    There are aton of guys burrying smyth cause he sucked with
    guys who were not here and a guy they will likely bury.

Hall with petrell and Brown in 7min of play 0GF 3GA.

19. bendelson says:

stevezie,

She does stevezie – every time.

20. khildahl says:

The best Beatles song is “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” (goes hand-in-hand with Harrison being the best Beatle).

Jones is a perfectly serviceable bottom 6 winger, given the right linemates (whether he has them or not is debatable). The hatred for him around here has turned into a meme all its own.

21. Cobbler says:

slopitch,

Know what you are saying. I love these plots but when I see the Vollman for Toronto I get a but confused. All of their players other than Orr and McClaren plot with >50% Zone Start and >0 Corsi Rel QoC. Hard to believe and entire team can have a >50% ZS unless the team consistently took draws in their own end greater than they did in the O-Zone and this was spread evenly over all lines.

A bit odd the lines would have been deployed like that, but I guess that is what is being shown.

22. supernova says:

I think Jones would be a very serviceable 3rd / 4th line player if he was actually a power forward.

He is a greasy forward, but doesn’t hit. If he hit more often he would be fine.
    Jones without being a power guy is very replaceable, send him out on waivers.

I hope MacT isn’t extremely loyal to our bottom 6 guys. IMO that’s been the biggest issue. These guys should play every game like its their last. In the past few seasons they have had way to long of a rope and the opposition knows Edmonton is easy to play against because once they shut down the top line or 2, the opposition knows that the bottom lines can’t score and can’t change the flow of the game, they don’t hit, they don’t fight, they don’t disturb, and they don’t have much of a chance to score.

Way to many new dimensional bottom line players, that make no difference to the opposition.

23. G Money says:

Jones & Smyth on the fourth line are fine. On the third line is a problem.

LT – how come your alter-ego doesn’t post in the comments section? He seems like an interesting and opinionated guy!

24. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

slopitch:
    The other thing about St Louis’s graph is that no one is in the bottom right.How is it that a better team then the Oilers doesn’t have any sheltered players – yet line matches like crazy?

That’s a good point.

QoC (the measurement for the vertical placement) should not be compared across teams and are only used as a relative comparable within a team. So for how these graphs are made i believe the horizontal axis should actually be closer to the median instead of using 0 (or more accurately Im guessing the axis shoild be some derived mean also including toi but I’m guessing more and more here).

So to bring it back to your point, roughly half of the players on Stl should actually fall onto the bottom half of the axis if the axis, but the axis isn’t entirely accurate.

25. Jesse says:

Think it would be nice for us who frequent the blog to show LT some support “in the polls”:

26. Romulus Apotheosis says:

LT: “Jennifer Aniston has been in 400 films, name one of them.”

Reminds me of one of the better Simpsons bits: Julia Roberts starring in “Love is Nice”

27. Cameron says:

Coming of age in the 80′s I was post-Beatles/Bowie, and as a result this is the version I am most in love with;

It gets bonus points for having a batsh!t crazy video that was totally unlike the Michael Jackson pop and hairmetal videos that dominated at the time.

28. Ryan says:

khildahl:

Jones is a perfectly serviceable bottom 6 winger, given the right linemates (whether he has them or not is debatable).The hatred for him around here has turned into a meme all its own.

Jones can score a few goals, Pk reasonably well, but he doesn’t bring much else to the table.

On a team built like the Oilers, you need a guy in his slot who can play a shut down role, hit players, or both.

On a team with size and defensive depth, you could hide a guy like Jones pretty well.

Anyone who can post a link of Jones actually laying a decent body check on someone, please share it. I’m not talking about a bone crushing hit where a player was helped off the ice, just a hit where the opposing player either fell down (without tripping or falling on his own volition) or look like he felt it at least.

29. D says:

It’s kind of neat simultaneously watching that girl bounce while listening to the David Bowie song.

30. Nightman_ says:

First time poster. Does anyone know when/if the team 1260 app will be coming out for android? Ideas for alternative ways of live streaming via phone would be greatly appreciated as well.
    Thanks

31. linkfromhyrule says:

Jesse:

Definitely seems like a few of us are supporting him, he’s sitting in third place now behind Gregor and Stauffer

32. Nightman_ says:

I’d also like to add that this is a fantastic blog and couldn’t be happier that the show has taken off. It brings much appreciated entertainment during the work week –especially now that norm macdonald has taken a podcast hiatus. Thanks for taking the time to do all of this LT.

33. LMHF#1 says:

Nightman_:
    Thanks

TuneIn – http://tunein.com/mobile/

34. theres oil in virginia says:

Ryan:
    Anyone who can post a link of Jones actually laying a decent body check on someone, please share it.I’m not talking about a bone crushing hit where a player was helped off the ice, just a hit where the opposing player either fell down (without tripping or falling on his own volition) or look like he felt it at least.

I’ve got one for you, but you have to go back to Nov 28, 2011, NAS@EDM. Jones shoulder-checked Geoffrion so hard, the ref called a 5 minute major for elbowing:

If you have gamecenter, it’s at 6:28 of the 2nd period.

35. slopitch says:

till_horcoff_is_coach,

I wish QoC was more evenly distributed. To me it should be given that if Hall-Nuge-Eberle get the tough matchups then Gagner would in theory play a lower QoC. So by eye, it should distribute better. The only other observation I can make is that because STL has only 2 players below the axis on the QoC chart, its a reflection that they played in a MUCH tougher division. With Chi and Det and Columbus in it, that would seem logical. To me, especially in a shortened season, QoC could be calculated within division or account for scheduling advantages because there is no way 12 of 14 forwards played “hard minutes”.

Ya everyone go vote for LT!

36. Rocknrolla says:

Nightman_,

Tune in radio app or the soundcloud website work well on iPhone.

37. Nightman_ says:

Rocknrolla:
    Nightman_,

Tune in radio app or the soundcloud website work well on iPhone.

LMHF#1: TuneIn – http://tunein.com/mobile/

Just tried out tunein, it’s wonderful. Thanks

38. spoiler says:

I have learned many many things on this blog, not to mention being impressed by LT’s prodigious output and of course the intelligence of the commentators here.

But I would like to express a huge amount of gratitude to this blog for introducing me to Michelle Jenneke and my new favorite track and field event: 100m Women’s Hurdles.

That bounce can break any Monday morning blues.

39. TheOtherJohn says:

Only Cult of Hockey poll I’ve responded to but seriously Who TF are the 62 people that voted Dan Tencer as Edmontobn’s top sports host? Define braindead: those 62 guys. Only thing worst would be voting for Staples for anything other than most annoying blog poster ever!

40. "Steve Smith" says:

TheOtherJohn:
    Only Cult of Hockey poll I’ve responded to but seriously Who TF are the 62 people that voted Dan Tencer asEdmontobn’s top sports host?Define braindead: those 62 guys.Only thing worst would be voting for Staples for anything other than most annoying blog poster ever!

I’m more appalled by the 67 who voted for Spector, personally.

41. G Money says:

“Steve Smith”: I’m more appalled by the 67 who voted for Spector, personally.

Wow, the guy’s got a big family.

42. Jordan says:

spoiler:

That bounce can break any Monday morning blues.

“Steve Smith”:

Yeah, those guys never get enough credit for what they do. But that being said, while I really like what they do, they do have a tendency to have holes in their broadcasts, which really does needlessly diminish the quality of their programming.

—-

Re: Ryan Jones as a 1.5M 3rd/4th liner.

Meh. That is all.

43. TheOtherJohn says:

Jordan

“Re: Ryan Jones as a 1.5M 3rd/4th liner.

Meh. That is all.”

Moving forward every marginal overpay is going to end up costing us a good player or two when it really matters. Better to exercise fiscal discipline now than try to learn to do it two or three years from now

44. G Money says:

TheOtherJohn: Moving forward every marginal overpay is going to end up costing us a good player or two when it really matters.

Let’s not overdramatize.

45. spoiler says:

“Steve Smith”: I’m more appalled by the 67 who voted for Spector, personally.I voted for LT, but seeing the results, I sort of wish I’d voted for Flaming and Millard, just because of how badly (and unjustly) they’re getting slaughtered.

Agreed. I voted for LT too, but wished we could add a 2nd or 3rd choice.

46. spoiler says:

Jordan: To be fair, while the bounce is epic, her smile and enthusiasm are what make that a stellar gif. There is no other place in the world she’d rather be at that point in time, and it shows.

To be fair, her smile and enthusiasm are all part of The Bounce, The Dance, The Wiggle… whatever you want to call it. It’s all her.

Nor should you restrict yourself to the gif. Watch the vid in the link posted above. It’s far better.

Man. It took awhile to write the WORDS boys. The hurdler was kind of a tease for the show. :-)

48. Jordan says:

TheOtherJohn,

I have no problem with him at that price point, because he has a history of scoring in a secondary role.

He’s not the kind of bottom six player the Oilers want, but he’s the one they have, and he can play.

Better him than trying for another Petrell, and finding our yet again that he’s not able to keep pace at the NHL. At least with RJ, you know you get a player who can kill penalties, chip in offensively and provide some grease, if not full on grit.

If he and RS rotate through the 3W/4W spots, that’s fine with me. And in those roles, 1.5 is not an overpay. For average 3rd liners, its under, and for average 4th liners, its a little high. For someone splitting both, it looks good. Especially for the flexibility of a 1 year deal.

He’s a safe bet.

49. Truth Movement says:

TheOtherJohn:

Eh, Tencer has a big audience and he does his thing. I get it, but at the same time I think even he recognizes that he’s no Stauffer. The fact anyone has voted for Spector is alarming.

50. spoiler says:

Lowetide: Man. It took awhile to write the WORDS boys. The hurdler was kind of a tease for the show.

LMAO! Classic rejoinder.

51. TheOtherJohn says:

G Money: A two time 17+ goal scorer being given a one year opportunity to demonstrate he belongs, at a price that *may* be a few hundreds of thousands over market, but does not meaningfully affect the team’s cap management this year.

Let’s not overdramatize.

52. spoiler says:

TheOtherJohn: When RNH, Yak and JSchu sign their next contract the biggest issue facing the Oilers will be cap managment. Overpaying anyone will affect ther roster.That is not being overly dramatic. That is simply a fact.So when you say ” a few hundreds of thousands over market” do that 3 or 4 times and is a huge deal

53. Jordan says:

spoiler: Yes, then. But not this contract right now. Thus the point is moot and as such probably got the “over-dramatization” label from Jordan.

Hey, now. I never it was over-dramatic. I think he has a good point wrt cap management in the next few years.

I’m not sold on J Schultz being one of the chosen few on this team, and until his d-zone coverage catches up to the O-zone creativity, I’ll still say he’s a step down from the H.E.NH.Y..

I’m actually thinking about the language that we use to describe players at any specific position, and trying to figure out how to use it to better describe what we mean.

When we talk about an Elite player, we’re talking about one of the best in the game. Maybe top 5 in the position in the game? Impact would be top 15? Average would be 16-25? Replacement would be 5 worst?

If we use those as starting points, can we actually evaluate the team that’s been put together?

E1L – A1C – I1R
    A2L – I2C – E2R
    R3L – I3C – I3R
    A4L – A4C – A4R

Does that make sense to people? Would that be useful at all in comparing teams? Or evaluating how the money spent on a given player is actually providing value to the team?

Love to hear feedback on this. Feels like there’s something here.

54. G Money says:

That was me … and yeah, unless you can tell me why Yak, RNH, or Jr will have to be traded because of this contract, it’s drama.

Jordan: Does that make sense to people? Would that be useful at all in comparing teams?

Been mulling on exactly this concept for a couple years now. Great minds or fools seldom?

I gave up though, mainly because outside of identifying who are the elite and replacement players (which is actually pretty easy), the above average vs average vs below average is badly muddled because of team and line effects. e.g. If you put a replacement level player with Sidney Crosby, or a below average defender with Chris Pronger, what do you get? In fact, the “Pronger Effect” is so pronounced that I believe he also makes the forwards substantially better, simply because he gets the puck and gets it moving in the right direction so quickly and so often. It’s not coincidence I think that Horcoff, Pisani, and a number of others that are ‘average’ (at least offensively) had career years playing with the Gap Tooth Baby Gorilla. That makes it real difficult to compare teams using this, because often the difference between teams is in the quality of the non-elite players. Look how important the third line is each and every Stanley Cup. It also speaks to the importance of building your team around elite players, especially ones who make the players around them better.

55. justDOit says:

LT: Great choice of artist for the RE series. Depth, breadth and legacy, means lots of material to choose from and always popular.

Bowie’s cover of ‘Working Class Hero’ (John Lennon) would have been great for Jones’ RE, but it’s technically a Tin Machine song. Tin Machine is one of my favorite periods for Bowie. The guitarist is really interesting and the rhythm section is tight and energetic – while Bowie seems grittier than he ever was or is.

Bowie has stated that his Tin Machine was instrumental in rejuvenating his career in the 90s, and that he had a lot of fun just making music that he enjoyed listening to. It wasn’t meant to sound one particular way or another – it was just all the influences from the band members coming together to make music that they enjoyed playing.

56. hags9k says:

The brain says Smytty and Jones won’t help. The heart says they will have stellar seasons.

I’m a fan so my job is to use my heart and get behind them all and here we GOILERS.
    MacT’s job is to use his brain. This was certainly the Petrell signing of the summer, but you never know.