RE 13-14 RYAN SMYTH: SPACE ODDITY

Ryan Smyth’s role on the current Edmonton Oilers is best described in Bowie music by the phrase ‘planet earth is blue and there’s nothing I can do”–he is, absolutely, out of time with the current tune. If the current Oilers are a brand new, fashionable tuxedo, surely Ryan Smyth is a pair of old brown shoes.

RE 13-14: 72, 12-16-28

1. For crying out loud, give it up. Loyalty is one thing, but this is ridiculous. Why? He did not have a strong season in 2012-13, but I think we can agree there were special circumstances. In the last full season, Smyth faced tougher opposition, delivered a solid offensive season and his Vollman Sledgehammer for 11-12 was only slightly in the red.
  2. When was the last time he had a good offensive season AND a good shot differential? His final season in LA, Smyth scored 23 goals and had the second best CorsiON for the team. His first Edmonton season was solid offensively (82, 19-27-46) and as I mentioned he played tougher opposition and his CorsiREL was narrowly in the red.
  3. So how much did he lose offensively this season? Quite a bit. In 11-12, Smyth ranked 5th among Oiler forwards at 5×5/60 (1.93) and really the only players well clear of him offensively were Hall and Eberle. In 12-13, he ranked 11th among Oiler forwards with a paltry 1.23/60.
  4. Was Ryan Jones clearly better? Jones ranked 7th (1.38/60), which is about where he’s been since arriving in Edmonton.
  5. So, the question is can Smyth turn back the clock? Well, it’s  a little more than that: Smyth played in some bad luck (on ice shooting percentage, 7%; PDO below par) and he didn’t exactly get a cherry ’57 Chevy from Krueger in terms of linemates.
  6. Who did he play with? The linemates (at 5×5) he was on the ice most often with include Mike Brown (175 minutes), Lennart Petrell (172 minutes), Eric Belanger (112 minutes) and Shawn Horcoff (92 minutes).
  7. Does he still have that strange chem with Ryan Jones? Yes, as a matter of fact. Smyth-Jones together (47.7%) were superior to Smyth-others (42.5%) and Jones when apart from Smyth (41.9%–this is all Corsi FOR  percentage by the way–which is Corsi For /(Corsi For + Corsi Against).
  8. So he’s your choice to line up with Gordon and Hemsky? Yes, most often yes. I have no doubt we’ll see others lining up at 3L and there’s every chance I get halfway through this series and MacT makes an addition. Having said that, I think Smyth–even at this age and at this speed–wins the day enough to be considered the actual 3line LW.
  9. Isn’t there a better solution from last year’s team for this role? Yes. Magnus Paajarvi.
  10. Well, your choice MacT skewered that, didn’t he? MacT upgraded the team. New concept for Oiler fans, but we’ll get used to it.
  11. Will Smyth play center? Maybe. I don’t really see the point–the Oilers have Nuge, Gagner, Gordon and Lander as the 4C’s and either you commit to it or get another center. If he’s C Smyth is 4line but that for me is miscast, he’s a better LW than C.
  12. Will he PK? Oh YEAH. Lots and lots and lots and lots.
  13. What is his legacy as an Oiler? He’s the link between the boys on the bus and the boys we’re watching now. Ryan Smyth as an Oiler played with Glenn Anderson, Bill Ranford, Kelly Buchberger, Kevin Lowe, Petr Klima; he played with outstanding players of his era like Doug Weight, Bill Guerin, Curtis Joseph, Ales Hemsky, Chris Pronger and then of course this group we see today. He’s kind of a bridge, and has been a wonderful, wonderful Oiler.
  14. Is there a chance you’re being sentimental here? I’m certain most who read this will feel that way, but for me there isn’t a better (obvious) alternative. Maybe Ryan Jones becomes more attentive to detail, maybe Joensuu is a home run for the pro scouts, maybe Ryan Hamilton is exactly what Eakins wants on that line, hell maybe Rajala forces his way onto the roster with a brilliant training camp. The surest bet I see is Ryan Smyth reaching deep down one more time and delivering another bump and grind season.
  15. Why this song? GREAT song for Smyth, for all kinds of reasons: isolation, short future (although not as tragic an ending as poor Major Tom met with), sentimental and yet cruel (‘tell my wife I love her very much” sung sweetly followed by the snottiest “SHE KNOWS!” in history–always chuckled at that part)–it’s a great fit. Ryan Smyth sitting in his tin can, far above the world, planet earth is blue and there’s nothing he can do. He left it all out there in the 2000′s, God love him.
  16. Well, I wish him luck. Me too, and a long drink from the fountain of youth in October.

2012-13 SMYTH VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER

hemsky vollman

Smyth did not face the toughs (opposition coaches are looking for the men in blue for matchups) but he did have a fairly severe zone start. Among the group of men whose zone start was this difficult in 2012-13, Smyth delivered less offensively 5×5 than Jones or Petrell, but only mildly so–and if his linemates improve that number should also get better. Certainly a year with Hemsky would smarten that 5×5/60 up nicely.

smyth moose jaw

Thank you, Ryan Smyth. I have enjoyed watching you play hockey very much, and whatever happens this year you’re a champion in these eyes. Full stop.

90 Responses to "RE 13-14 RYAN SMYTH: SPACE ODDITY"

1. lazerguidedmelody says:

This will be Smyth’s last season, I guess. End of an era and all that.

Wouldn’t surprise me to see Coach Eakins rotate his bottom 6 with a fair amount of frequency. Especially early on, to gauge best fit. My guess: we’ll see Smyth at 3L, 4L and press box. But not 4C – please.

2. theres oil in virginia says:

If Ryan Smyth gets some new-fangled walker with skate blades and wants to play for the Oil at age 80, it’s fine by me. Just so long as he doesn’t want to play in the top 6…and he’s willing to kill penalties.

I threatened to quit being an Oilers fan the day after Lowe traded him. That’s the only time I had those thoughts/feelings since I became a fan in 1990, and considering what’s happened since then, I think that’s saying a lot.

3. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I love how in that photo of the Sm(iy)ths up there they both look half-cut. Smith is just cresting and Smyth is on the way over the hill and on to bed.

———
    RE 72, 12-16-28

The production might be a shade high for reasonable… but I really feel the GPs is too high. You’ve got him playing more games than Perron here (Perron at 69). You have to figure an older body is going to lose a few games to HS not to mention a nagging injury along the way (leaving aside anything major).

I’d guess 65 is his high water mark. Anything above that is coloring outside the lines.

——–
    “Will Smyth play center? ”

“Nightmare on my street”? (sorry, bad joke!)

I think Smyth only plays C in an emergency situation before or in-game, like when Petrell played C for one game last year.

I don’t think MacT will leave Smyth out to dry like Tambo did. I would also look to see if that 13th (or maybe 14th depending on how many D they carry) is an extra C… Arco might be a good candidate, or a mercenary like Smithson again.

——-
    Are you expecting him to get any PP time? If that is the case, his numbers are probably reasonable… but I think they give the stand and deliver job to one of the younger dudes, Perron?

Rom: Yes, I have Smyth getting some 2PP time.

5. Ducey says:

819 pts in 1198 games, 93 playoff games. Any of the kids will be blessed to put up those kind of numbers.

I expect that he will have a bit of bounce back year. His shooting percentage was 2.9 % last year. The year before it was 9.8% and his career % is 11.4. He did not play during the lockout and it may have impacted him.

In regard to GP, I use the last 3 seasons as a tell, or prediction. Smyth may be 37 but has been very durable, and even though Perron’s injury is back there a ways, I still factor it in.

7. oliveoilers says:

I like the ‘old brown shoes’ analogy. I have a pair. They are old, battered, the wife hates them, but…..They are just so damn comfortable, they fill a need and I can’t imagine life without them.

8. theres oil in virginia says:

There’s also the fact that Smyth hates being healthy scratched. (Didn’t I read that story about him and Musil getting scratched by ?Ron Low? here?)

9. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ducey:
    819 pts in 1198 games, 93 playoff games.Any of the kids will be blessed to put up those kind of numbers.

I expect that he will have a bit of bounce back year. His shooting percentage was 2.9 % last year.The year before it was 9.8% and his career % is 11.4.He did not play during the lockout and it may have impacted him.

Small sample size and all… but he potted a few in the Spengler Cup and looked better there, despite not playing hockey all year.

The SH% nose-dive I think had a lot to do with his linemates not really cycling and his reduced PP time. Smyth scores in tight and you need the puck in the O zone a lot for that. His other moves, the slapper and the wrap-around aren’t really meant as shots so much as passes to a theoretical other Smyth standing in front of the net.

——–

I hear you. And he was mighty piqued when he got HS’ed last year… still I think at some point you have to factor in the tipping point of age. You’ve done so with his scoring.. wouldn’t it make sense to assume his health and/or everyday readiness falters somewhat?

(you clearly have, knocking him 10 games… I just wonder if that isn’t rose-colored)

More interesting might be your splits on 3LW and 4LW. If 50/50 is the opening shot are you going high or low on him as the bone fide 3LW?

10. 99thoilerfan says:

LT,

I am thinking this a good bye tour for ’94, and his number gets hung up there with rest of the great oilers.

His Oil history storyline, is like out of a fairly tale. Stick boy, Stanley Cup finalist and Capitan Canuck.
    He is woven into the fabric of this franchise. We were lucky to have our home town boy, make good.
    Will he hang them up, and any guesses in retirement plans?

11. gcw_rocks says:

To be fair, in his last full season Smyth scored almost all his points in the first half of the season. If you look over his last 82 games played, I think the offence would be pretty pathetic. Also since he had that offensive outburst at the start of the 2011/2012 season, the team has added Yakupov and Perron as competition for offensive minutes. Add in reduced footspeed and, as you noted yourself on occasion last season, a reduced willingness to do some of the dirty work and I think we are looking at a fourth liner with PK time. Anything over that would be exceeding expectations.

12. 99thoilerfan says:

Hmmmmm… This says Captain Canada. Amazing amount of wearing the “C”.

INTERNATIONAL:

Played for Team Canada at the following tournaments: Olympics: (2006, 6 GP, 0-1=1), (2002, 6 GP, 0-1-1, gold medal), World Championships: (2010, 1 GP, 0-0=0, team captain, played in only game due to injury), (2005, 9 GP, 2-1=3, team captain, silver medal), (2004, 9 GP, 2-2=4, team captain, gold medal), (2003, 9 GP, 2-2=4, team captain, gold medal), (2002, 7 GP, 4-0=4, team captain), (2001, 7 GP, 2-3=5, team captain), (2000, 9 GP, 3-6=9), (1999, 10 GP, 0-2=2), World Junior Championships: (1995, 7 GP, 2-5=7, gold medal), Other: (2004 World Cup of Hockey, 6 GP, 3-1=4, gold medal)…Has appeared in a record total 86 international games for Team Canada (20-24=44, 38 PIM)…Nicknamed “Captain Canada.”

13. Jordan says:

99thoilerfan:
    LT,

Will he hang them up, and any guesses in retirement plans?

The sentimental side of me says that as long as he can play on the 4th line, he should be on the team. As long as he keeps winning that 4LW job, he stays.

If the wheels aren’t too flat, the motor still runs well, and the frame & chassis are still holding up, I really don’t care what she looks like, or what she could do in her prime, as long as she can still get on the road and do what needs doing, keep her.

14. SinceTheWHADays says:

Third favourite Oiler all time.

15. BlacqueJacque says:

Smyth, if he doesn’t play any back-to-backs and skips the occasional game after just one day off, could be a plus performer. Smyth playing 82 in an Olympic season is a recipe for a disastrous retirement tour of duty.

16. 99thoilerfan says:

Jordan,

“If there’s one player I would want to see win a cup with the Hall Oilers, its Smyth. He was sent away and came back. Loyalty.”

No Doubt, with you 100%.

He just looked like a Model T, out there with the Corvette’s, Vipers and Lamborghini’s.

17. BlacqueJacque says:

As for hating getting healthy scratched, every player hates that. Sometimes Ryan comes across like a big spoiled baby, and MacT needs to sit him down and explain the realities of aging, rest, and performance to him. I’d rather have 25 points and an even corsi out of Ryan for 60 games than 30 points and a bad corsi in 82.

18. BlacqueJacque says:

Jordan,

He wasn’t sent away. He made his own bed and the Oilers are arguably better off for it.

19. 99thoilerfan says:

There are lots of Oil stories of the player wanting fair market value, and got a trade instead.
    From Coffee, Gretz, Messier, Low to Smyth. That said, ” Once an Oiler, always an Oiler “.

May the force be with him….. always.

20. cabbiesmacker says:

All the music aficionados that follow this blog and not one mention, (that I can see), regarding the passing of JJ Cale Friday night. Tsk.

Mustn’t be any Clapton or Skynard fans in the crowd.

21. LMHF#1 says:

I just can’t see how the team makes the playoffs if Ryan Smyth plays 72 games. As far as I know he wasn’t off training with Gary Roberts or the equivalent, which was about the only thing that could have made him a relevant contributor this season.

Hoping this situation gets fixed.

22. Racki says:

theres oil in virginia:
    If Ryan Smyth gets some new-fangled walker with skate blades and wants to play for the Oil at age 80, it’s fine by me.Just so long as he doesn’t want to play in the top 6…and he’s willing to kill penalties.

I threatened to quit being an Oilers fan the day after Lowe traded him.That’s the only time I had those thoughts/feelings since I became a fan in 1990, and considering what’s happened since then, I think that’s saying a lot.

I’m a die hard hockey fan, and a die hard Oilers fan. When Gretzky was traded, I stopped watching the Oilers for a full year. It took me a little bit to get fully fanatic about them again. Oddly it wasn’t until they had the blue collar teams in the mid 90s that I really started to re-endear to them. For the first few years after the Gretzky trade, my former #2 favorite team (the Habs) became my #1 team. I was pretty disgusted with Pocklington. Trust me when I say that trade was a lot worse to swallow, but I did feel pretty empty after the Smyth trade too. But I was a loyal follower through that trade and several years before/after. I’ll always cheer for this team no matter what.

Anyways, my point.. I definitely get why you almost gave up on the Oilers after the Smyth trade. It always sucks seeing the heart of a team go.

23. "Steve Smith" says:

Of course, all of those guys but Buchberger were re-treads.* Until I saw them all listed together, I hadn’t realized the extent to which the organization’s Boys-on-the-Bus nostalgia was reflected on-ice, rather than just in the front office and on the bench. As I recall, Lowe was pretty serviceable on his second go-round until felled by the inner ear infection. The other three, not quite so much. I stand open to correction, though.

Jordan: The sentimental side of me says that as long as he can play on the 4th line, he should be on the team.As long as he keeps winning that 4LW job, he stays.

*Maybe the most underrated Neil Young lyric of all-time: “I won’t retire, but I might retread.”

24. "Steve Smith" says:

As well, I don’t seem to have the emotional attachment to Smyth that a lot do. I see why others have it, but for some reason I just don’t feel it. The players I love from the late nineties teams were Marchant and Buchberger and Weight, and from the 2006 run it was Hemsky and Horcoff and Pisani. Smyth’s obviously spilled a lot of blood for this team, but somehow I just never connected. If the Oilers are going to retire any more numbers before the current kids retire, it should probably be Smyth’s; I just won’t get terribly misty-eyed.

25. LMHF#1 says:

“Steve Smith”:
    As well, I don’t seem to have the emotional attachment to Smyth that a lot do.I see why others have it, but for some reason I just don’t feel it.

I don’t either. This was true before the ’06 playoffs and his performance in the finals is still something I’m bitter about.

26. jfry says:

I think we’re going to see a very different rollout of the 3rd and 4th lines this year. Huge defensive zone starts and heavy pressure in the other end. I think the two lines will be in flux. Whoever has legs and can get down ice will get the call that shift. And based on the Marlie games I saw, we’ll see chance roll out with the dregs more than before.

*fingers crossed*

27. jfry says:

Also, our bottom six, from a distance, doesn’t appear to be any better than last year, which is troubling. And our defence, while deeper isn’t going to scare other teams. It feels like the teams Improvement for the next couple of years is just based on the kids getting older.

Why get Gordon if you’re going to just drowned him like we’ve been doing horcoff? He’s gonna have all the heavy lifting plus he’s gonna have to do the fourth line job too because we’re still not deep with defensive players. Shit, half the players we have slated for the bottom six cheat for offence and most the others have no history of performance at the NHL level, let alone in a defined role.

This summer is starting to remind me of Mact coaching era: great press huddles. Average teams. Seems to me a few more veterans would help. Andropov and cleary would sure give me more confidence in our depth, especially if hemsky is out in a deal similar to horcoff.

28. OilClog says:

I pray to sweet baby Jesus that Ryan Smyth is used far more properly this upcoming season, last year was tough to watch him being lead to the slaughter.

29. G Money says:

"Steve Smith": The problem with that is that if he keeps winning the 4LW job, it will be an indication that the Oilers never did get their shit together with the bottom-six.

Disagree.

When Smyth was playing 4L last year, it seemed to me that he was one of the few bottom 6 forwards able to hold his own.

The impression that he had a bad year comes I think primarily from the times he played 3L (for which he no longer has the footspeed) or 4C (which is a tough role to play even when not playing the “centre covers the entire middle defensive zone” system of RK).

In conjunction with BlacqueJacque‘s caveat of resting Smyth’s old tired legs in one game of back-to-backs or other short rest situations (giving the facepuncher a chance to stretch his legs 10 or 15 games in the season), I think our fourth line will be fine.

30. supernova says:

I hope I am wrong but I wish he wasn’t on this team.

I was a huge fan of him on his first tour with the oilers, but wish he would have had one tour.

Management and fans affection towards Smyth has caused a roster spot to be misused and I would have much rather paid 2.25 million for Nystrom or Hendricks, but with Smyth on the roster we can’t overpay for that spot twice.

I am not a sentimental person and now I wish I hadn’t see Smyth come back, IMO paajarvi s regression was because Smyth had ice time that should have been going to a team that said they were committed to developing young talent, and last season Tambo seemed to think he didn’t need to add another Center because he had Smyth. Not Smyth’s fault but wow! Just wow! Maybe Tambo was scared of Smyth and the fans reaction and didnt find a adequate replacement.

Smyth should be a bit player on a Chicago type team.

31. khildahl says:

cabbiesmacker:

Mustn’t be any Clapton or Skynard fans in the crowd.

I somehow missed the news until this morning. Huge loss to the music world.

Cale may be the most underappreciated songwriter there is.

32. skinny65 says:

I agree that he did not play well last year, but just looking at the line mates he had to deal with, oyyy!! As well, playing him at center just seemed to really kill him. He looked out of sorts whenever he was playing the middle.
    I could see him being part of an effective 3rd line this year. Out of everyone they have he fits in best with Hemsky and Gordon.
    And since we all know this is his last year, I would love to see them name him captain. It gives Hall one more year to mature and then next year he can take it over.

33. theres oil in virginia says:

Racki:

I guess I’m fortunate that I missed the 80s “glory days”, at least for the reason that I didn’t have to witness the exodus. By the time I knew what hockey really was and had seen a game, I was already an Oilers fan and had no idea who Gretzky was or that he played for the Oilers before LA. (I was just a young teenager in 1990 and learned most of that history in the following years.) The Oilers didn’t do much good in the 90s, and players left of course, but I don’t think it was the same for me as for those who saw the 80s. I watched Weight and Satan and a whole host of others leave, but Smyth was the guy who didn’t leave…until he did leave. It was wrong that he didn’t spend his entire career in Edmonton, and he and his agent are to blame as well as Lowe. The whole episode was just stupid. I think it made me take the position that it’s unwise to be too attached to any sports franchise. Now when things happen with the Oilers that are hard to bear, it doesn’t leave the scar that Smyth leaving did.

34. TheOtherJohn says:

If Ryan Smyth gets 50% of the time on the 3L it will be a shit show. That line is set up to stop the other teams elite, shitty zone starts, etc, Smyth is not up to that level of heavy lifting. Ryan Smyth had a horrible second half two years ago. Last year he struggled.. Agree with LT that there are not a lot of more realistic options though.

Some here have suggested it was his fitness. Maybe. But he struggled to keep up up with the play. 2 year contract was a really bad idea

Sincerely hope I am wrong but expect we may get a chance to see a Willie Mays as a NY Met moment.

RE 55 5 – 9 – 14

35. Grocery Stick says:

Sail on, Ryan. Sail on.

36. prairieschooner says:

My memory of Smythy last season was of his attempted wrap arounds all looking woefully weak.
    I think we all would like to see Smythy have a solid season if it is to be his last.
    He can then come back and teach clinics to young Oilers

“Proper etiquette when introducing yourself to the oppositions goalie”
    “Up close and personal”
    “How to improve your short game”
    “Skate less for greater success”
    “If not Nike why not A535″

37. Chris says:

For me the 80s glory days are sort of dim flickers of recollection. I was a kid at the time and I remember watching bits and pieces of it, most clearly the 90 cup finals against Boston. But really what I grew up thinking of as the Oilers was Ryan Smyth, Doug Weight, Bill Guerin and Cujo. Those Oiler teams of the mid to late 90s were good hard working underdogs whom it was exceedingly easy to cheer for.

At thirty I don’t bounce back from any bit of athletic exertion quite like I did when I was 23 so I can only imagine the toll a compressed schedule took on Smyth. With a normal season with fewer games a week I think we ought to see a better showing from him. I don’t know if this is his last season or with a more favourable schedule he can hang in there for one or two more years. I would dearly like to see him be there if they ever manage to win the cup again. He has done years of yeomans work for this club, he deserves a cup. Hell give him Bucky’s job if he retires after this year.

38. Hammers says:

LT . Smyth needs to play with Jones but on the 4th line .With maybe Lander or Reasoner ? as 4th line center . If Hemsky stays i’m expecting Perron & Gordon to be his linemates . This then fits Eakins resume of forward pairs rather than full lines, like Gags/Yak ; RNH/ Ebs or Hall /Ebs ; Hemmer/Perron . Most coaches stick with a basic philosophy and Eakins is no different . Obviously the question then is who is other LW , answer Joensuu McT gave him a 2 year contract so my guess is he is expecting him to make the team . This also puts 3 penalty killers on the 4th line plus Gordon .

39. OilClog says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Overall, fine. And the injury was tragic. Only Hemsky can break a foot blocking a shot and not get any respect.

But, for the first month or so Hemsky was on fire and even after that he showed some absolutely bad, bad bad man moves. I wasn’t disappointed.

That goal was sublime! He’s on the ice with Belanger for crying out loud! Look at that brutal pass out the zone Belanger tried to Smyth.

That pass from Smyth should also remind people the old guy still has some sweet hands.

If Smyth was out there with a broken foot making any plays.. people would be having parades. Everyone forgets no matter how bad that second line was, Hemsky was playing possessed the first month, turning people inside out. It was a joy to watch, why we’re trading this guy.. beyond me.

Joenssu? No idea yet how to pull this guys name up in my memory lol.. He could be the perfect player for Hemmer, Crash net, bang at puck.

I post this in here.. just cause, HEMSKY!

40. supernova says:

TheOtherJohn:

Sincerely hope I am wrong but expect we mayget a chance to see a Willie Mays as a NY Met moment.

RE 55 5 – 9 – 14

I honestly would rather have Ryan Hamilton or even Tyler Pitlick getting at bats then Ryan Smyth. He won’t be here passed this year, and if there is a chance they might be I would rather have their struggles.

41. OilClog says:

supernova: I agree with everything here, as well as he looks really slow at times, he is still a really good passer ( something he rarely gets credit for)

if you could please click the video link in my post above, then reconsider what you’ve said, that would be awesome. Hamilton or Pitlick.. never making those Ryan Smyth plays. I’d rather have old man struggles, then I’m not an NHL player struggles.

42. Hammers says:

If we think McT is done with the exception of 1 more move (center ) and that he keeps Hemsky untill the trade deadline you have the makings of 3 good to great lines plus a 4th that holds our PK players plus 4-5 minutes . I’m expecting Hall in particular getting at least 22+ minutes . For us to push for a playoff spot the top 9 must play the bulk of the game . Same for our top 4 “D”. My guess is Eakins pushes our top players .

43. OilClog says:

Hammers:

I hope this is true, I was wondering of a situation where, because Hall has good chemistry with Hemsky.. If he’s playing 22+ a night, does he not spend maybe 4-5 of those minutes picking up extra shifts with Hemsky and Gordon?

The top 2 lines will get more playing time this coming year no doubt, but I think you can safely roll the entire 1line without worrying too much about their fitness. They’re all kinds. So, you go 1-2-3-4-1-2 and then the television break, come back with 1-2 again.

RK didn’t do that to my eye.

45. OilClog says:

The fun part was, no one knew what was coming! usually, we it was a bad time, yet the surprise of the unknown kept us glued to the chairs. How we gonna lose this one boys! Even if we protected half the leads we lost, playoffs?

OilClog:

It was crazy, and a real waste. Many on last year’s team were playoffs worthy.

47. khildahl says:

Lowetide: It was crazy, and a real waste. Many on last year’s team were playoffs worthy.

There was a lot of verbal from RK about him rolling the lines the way he did in order to keep the kids from tiring out over the compressed schedule. I guess it sort of worked, at the expense of guys like Smyth who clearly hit the wall going full speed, and resulted in the wrong players being on the ice at the wrong time. I think he also kept practice time to a minimum for the same reason, and that combined with his bizarre systems to create a disorganized monster.

In his defense, at least he didn’t ice his penalty killers for 4-on-4s *cough*Renney*cough*

48. cabbiesmacker says:

khildahl: I somehow missed the news until this morning.Huge loss to the music world.

Cale may be the most underappreciated songwriter there is.

Cheers Khil. There are people that loved and appreciated Cale did and then there’s all the rest.

The tributes have been massive from Clapton to Young to Santana. The man was absolutely essential within the music world.

When John Prine passes I’m going to feel the same.

49. RexLibris says:

Space Oddity was my introduction to Bowie, so there is some sentimentality crossover between the song and the player here.

I’ll miss Smyth when he leaves, and hope for his sake that he cuts his teeth coaching somewhere other than Edmonton (WHL, ECHL, AHL, etc).

94 is a tricky situation though. Does he belong in the rafters alongside 99, 11, and the others? Hamilton is up there, but does Smyth qualify? This is why I’d also like a wall of honour for the also-rans in Oilers history – Doug Weight, Kelly Buchberger, Bill Guerin, Curtis Joseph and some of those fine players that kept our spirits high during the lean times.

Why does this feel less like an RE than a Sail On?

50. khildahl says:

RexLibris,

Does the organization still have their rule that a player needs to be in the HoF before they’ll retire their number?

Cabbie: You seem insulted that the blog isn’t full of Cale memories. I’m not certain why. I always enjoyed Cale, one of those fabulous artists who had a unique style and view. Downtown LA is probably my favorite song of his, don’t remember when I heard it but will always remember it. He did some things with Leon Russell, another favorite of mine.

I always wondered about Clapton’s Cocaine. Did he change ANYTHING? :-)

RexLibris:

94 is a tricky situation though. Does he belong in the rafters alongside 99, 11, and the others?Hamilton is up there, but does Smyth qualify? This is why I’d also like a wall of honour for the also-rans in Oilers history – Doug Weight, Kelly Buchberger, Bill Guerin, Curtis Joseph and some of those fine players that kept our spirits high during the lean times.

Why does this feel less like an RE than a Sail On?

The entire second tour feels like a sail on, Smyth’s kind of part of the team but not at the points in the story he used to be, I think that’s part of the difficulty.

I expect he’ll go to the rafters after a time. I am surprised by how little support this blog is giving him after the meltdown that happened the day he was sent away. Guess that’s an indication of poster turnover.

Either way, I’ll miss him when he’s gone, and kind of already do. Probably a country song would have worked, too. :-)

53. FastOil says:

Does Gordon like to carry the puck? If he doesn’t Smyth Gordon Jones won’t be very good. Sorry Gordon Smyth Jones ;)

If Gordon doesn’t like to carry the puck they have to keep Hemsky.

Despite Katz saying the Oilers would be a cap team, last year they finished 27th in spending, lowest since he took over (12,10,26,16,27). I wonder if the “lack of liquidity” in the trade market is really that MacT doesn’t have financial leeway and nobody has a fire sale on.

Reading a comment somewhere about a FLames Couturier deal falling through because they wouldn’t eat Meszaros salary really makes me wonder. If that and a first is all it takes to get SC I’d be all over that. Smid, 2014 1st, 50% Hemsky for Coburn, Mesz and Couturier. Value for both teams. Might even be able to foist NS on them instead of Smid if they want to ditch Mesz bad enough, maybe pick up a 2nd rounder as well. It works cap wise if both NS and Smid are moved.

Same thing with Hemsky and NS. Are they really unmoveable if they keep salary? Seems hard to believe when there are several teams in need of their help. I get the feeling Katz is saving up money for the arena, as in every dime he can not spend and get away with, I hope I’m wrong. They are close to the cap now, and if I’m right we’ll see them lose NS and Hemsky at some point and not take much salary back. Where as a cap team would look to get better until there is no more cap space.

54. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Great obit on JJ Cale here:

Have to say the collaborative album between Cale and Clapton, “the Road to Escondido”, is among my favourites of the past 20 years.

Two geniuses at work.

You’re right, DSF. that’s a nice obit. When I was a kid, my Grandma HATED ‘After Midnight’ by Clapton. When I would go to her house I had complete control of the radio until that song came on, and when it did, she’d march over to the radio and turn it off (and it stayed off, for fear it would come on again!).

Hadn’t thought about that in decades.

56. cabbiesmacker says:

I always wondered about Clapton’s Cocaine. Did he change ANYTHING?

Not insulted at all LT but I would have assumed there was a bigger following here considering the demographics and tastes. Anyone who touts Clapton, as overrated as he is, should be all over Cale. There are a few, scant few passings in the film and music industries that have hit me a little hard I guess and Cale’s was one of them. I’ve been a fan since the mid 70′s, to the degree that I gave my son the name.

Not much difference if any between Clapton’s Cocaine and Cale’s imo. About as much as he changed After Midnight. Har. I’ve often wondered how Clapton’s popularity would have fared post Cream if he hadn’t covered those two songs.

Best tribute to Cale I’ve ever read came from his wife years ago. She said “If you like how he sounds on his albums you should hear him on the back porch in the evening.”

Check out Tijuana on Travel Log if you haven’t already, and of course Naturally is an album that should be in every serious music listeners collection.

Cabbie: I understand now, thanks. There are some great artists who never really got their due for sure, you mentioned Prine he’s one of my absolute favorites. Angel from Montgomery is one of my favorites all-time because it’s so personal, and if you’ve ever known someone like that (distant, non verbal) that song speaks to you.

I’d add Lowell George to the list, he wasn’t around a long time but man he was gifted. And of course all those other buggers who wrote songs that the pretty boys covered. :-)

58. 99thoilerfan says:

RexLibris:

Of course he does, he is one of our own. Unlike others noted.

Smyth was selected 6th overall in the 1994 NHL Entry Draft by the Edmonton Oilers.

59. cabbiesmacker says:

Man do I hear you. I guess those of us so inclined miss that time in our lives as much as we miss the artist maybe. I dunno. Cale for me was just all about much simpler times.

Don’t even get me started on Prine man. We came close to losing him once and I’m going to feel the same way when he goes as I felt with the news of Cale.

Stevie Ray Vaughn was another that hit me pretty hard. To your ‘pretty boys comment” I pretty much agree with everything Denis Leary says here

60. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I’ll miss Smyth. I remember his great years well enough to give him his proper due.

I don’t think they retire his number. Maybe in twenty years if he ends up a successful coach, scout, GM or something.

I think he can still be effective this year, if his TOI and GPs are rigorously monitored and his role is clearly defined and executed. But it is going to be a tight-rope walk.

——–
    I’ve got pretty eclectic musical tastes, but I readily confess that a few of the mainstay sub-genres to emerge out of 60s and 70s “rockish” music that never moved the dial for me are “bluesy” music, “singer songwriter” music and “virtuoso” music… by and large these are all foreign and terrible to my ears.

61. lazerguidedmelody says:

On a musical side-note, I’m going to be very disappointed if Jeff Petry’s RE track isn’t ‘Panic In Detroit’.

62. theres oil in virginia says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    ——–

I think you’re right, but what worries me about that is the current depth chart at center and the comments from MacT about Arcobello and Miller. There’s already a hole in the lineup, and the coach will not hesitate to look to Smyth if he thinks Smyth can fill it.
    ——–
    By “bluesy”, do you mean that polished bluesy music like what Clapton played post-Cream? The raw blues-based music I find to be indispensable; whether it’s a bunch of white guys from Britain (Led Zepellin), or a black man from Missisippi (Leadbelly – Huddie Ledbetter), or a white guy from Detroit (Jack White).

There’s a big difference between those two sounds.

63. Romulus Apotheosis says:

theres oil in virginia: I think you’re right, but what worries me about that is the current depth chart at center and the comments from MacT about Arcobello and Miller.There’s already a hole in the lineup, and the coach will not hesitate to look to Smyth if he thinks Smyth can fill it.
    ——–
    By “bluesy”, do you mean that polished bluesy music like what Clapton played post-Cream?The raw blues-based music I find to be indispensable; whether it’s a bunch of white guys from Britain (Led Zepellin), or a black man from Missisippi (Leadbelly – Huddie Ledbetter), or a white guy from Detroit (Jack White).

There’s a big difference between those two sounds.

I really think you are underestimating MacT and Eakins if you think they take Smyth to be a legitimate option at C. Even if MacT stands pat, Arco, Acton and Miller are much better options if Lander gets injured or is terrible.

I’d also look to a mid-season trade or waiver pick up if Lander went down.

——–
    by “bluesy” I just mean anything that trades in the “blues” as some sign of authenticity or any other kind of special pleading.

I don’t, as a general rule, enjoy “blues” music in its strictest, earliest forms. It’s just not for me. And I find most rock music trading in the blues in some explicit sense insufferable. “Blues Hammer” comes to mind.

That said, I adore many of the great rock bands that routinely pay homage to the Blues (Zep, Stones, etc.) But the closer those bands get to the “blues” the less I get interested.

The White Stripes is catchy bar music as far as I’m concerned. I never developed an attachment to it.

We’ve talked about this before, and it’s kind of related to the post about to go up, but I think if MacT feels Lander is ready then that’s really encouraging. MacT played the exact role Lander is going to fill, so the lack of an NHL veteran replacement tells me Lander (or Acton) is ready.

65. Suntory Hanzo says:

What is neat to do with Space Oddity is to listen to only one headphone or change the speakers to one side and you can isolate Bowie’s backing vocals which are hard to hear otherwise. Simon and Garfunkel tunes are great for this too to just hear Art.

Started doing this after hearing Rain by the Beatles without John’s lead. They played it at the Cirque du Soliel “love” show in Vegas. A must for Beatle fans.

66. theres oil in virginia says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I’ve not heard of Blues Hammer, but i think I get what you’re saying. Modern blues is not for me. I think why Zepp and the Stones, etc were so good with the blues influence is that they didn’t try to recreate that sound, they just took from it. And as far as most of the White Stripes music goes, it’s too “poppy” for me (not that there’s anything wrong with that). But when Jack White gets down to his roots he can put on some pretty good blues with soul.

Leadbelly was just effing amazing (the song really gets going at about 40 sec):

And one more from Son House for general edification:

Finally, Jack White putting some juice on that Son House song:

It’s not for everybody, but there’s a lot of soul and energy in there.

67. theres oil in virginia says:

Yeah, we’ve talked about it before, and I voiced support for Lander, but I think I’ll need another session on the proverbial couch before I’m comfortable with the situation. While I think Lander should be given a shot, he could have that shot even if they added another “actual NHL center”, because RNH is out to start the season. Right now, Lander is the #3, not the #4. So, with another center in the lineup, Lander would get his shot at #4 until RNH came back. At that point, if Lander has kept the job, great, but if not you can bump him down to OKC. It isn’t Lander that worries me anyway, it’s Arcobello and Miller being relied on to fill a top 6 role while RNH is out.

Virginia: Just talking on the twitter about the same thing. I don’t think there’s any doubt Lander plays this year, but making him the first callup after injury is a better plan than making him an opening night starter.

69. theres oil in virginia says:

With the possible caveat that if Lander blows the doors off in preseason, then he’s fine for opening night.

Miller – 5-10 180
    Arcobello – 5-9 165

I don’t generally buy the “he’s too small” line; however, Miller is NHL small, and Arcobello is NHL tiny. Ugh. I’m sure Arcobello is talented enough to score lots of AHL points, but I doubt he does anything at the NHL level.

70. "Steve Smith" says:

Suntory Hanzo: Simon and Garfunkel tunes are great for this too to just hear Art.

I think that only works with their first three albums, if memory served – by Bookends, I think they were mixing them differently. I’m also not sure why somebody would want to just hear Art, because his vocals are, with limited exceptions, boringly angelic. He was apparently a significant contributor at the production phase (Simon, Garfunkel, and Roy Halee were apparently more or less equal partners), but when it comes to song-writing, singing, and instrumentation, Arty was more-or-less dead weight.

And marginally better than that in movies, even the ones he starred in. I remember years ago Paul Simon talking about their tandem and saying “Artie was the pretty one” and it was actually a relief. I knew then the reason (plus the high harmony) Garfunkel landed the partnership–aside from being a kid from the neighborhood.

Artie’s the pretty one, and the other one wrote “Cathy I’m lost I said though I knew she was sleeping”

72. Ca$h-Money! says:

theres oil in virginia,

I’m not sure I’d say that Lander is #3 if RNH doesn’t start. From my perspective this team is set up to have two lines to play offence and two to play defence. If RNH is gone that shifts Gagner from Offensive 2 to Offensive 1 and shifts Arco/Miller up to soft minutes offence. The bigger problem we have is if Gordon goes down, because that means our 2 defensive centres are Lander and Acton… which isn’t good.

If Arco/Miller aren’t working then Perron plays centre for a few games and Rajala plays wing, or Jones plays offense and Hamilton slots into the lineup… either way it’ll be fine.

Gordon is the linchpin.

73. Racki says:

Speaking of Gordon.. it isn’t optimal, but he does have the ability to center a second line (had done it some in Phoenix. That might be a good temporary solution to baby Yakupov a bit more as he gets used to the NHL some more.

Completely random, perhaps, but I’m excited to see Gagner play with Hall and Eberle some more (assuming that happens). Damn they can be lethal together.

74. "Steve Smith" says:

You know, I think it’s come up before that Catch-22 is my favourite novel, but would you believe that I still haven’t seen the movie? Arty played Nately, and Simon was supposed to play Dunbar before the part was cut. I can see Art as Nately, though – nice kid, a little boring, hopelessly in love with an Italian prostitute who won’t give him the time of day unless he pays by the hour, and scowls a lot even then.

Reputedly, the cancellation of the Dunbar part was one of many factors that heightened tensions between the two men, ultimately leading to the breakup. Simon refers to this in what was, until its inclusion on the Garden State soundtrack, by far the duo’s most underrated song:

“Tom, get your plane right on time
    I know your part will go fine
    Fly down to Mexico…” etc., etc.

(Back when Simon & Garfunkel were Tom and Jerry – fears of antisemitism, you know – Garfunkel was Tom Graph. Catch-22 was filmed largely in Mexico.)

(It should also be said that, if Simon’s many stints hosting SNL are anything to go by, Mike Nichols may have made a good call writing him out of Catch-22.)

75. "Steve Smith" says:

Also, it’s “Kathy I’m lost…”, with a K. Kathy Chitty, she of Kathy’s Song and the cover of The Paul Simon Songbook (which is, as the name suggests, an album – released on vinyl in 1965, and on CD for the first time a few years ago, just after I paid $60 for a vinyl copy off of ebay. Without owning a turntable). Now you know.

I have a turntable if you ever want to hear it. I’ve always loved that song, don’t know if I could name another Paul Simon song I like better. It’s kind of perfect.

77. "Steve Smith" says:

Which one – America? Hard to argue with that, though I’m sure I would if you goaded me hard enough or got me drunk.

As for the turntable, I used my parents’ to record the album onto cassette, and then bought it on CD anyway. I think I have it on my iTunes now. But thanks.

When I was about 10 years old, my Mom and I were in an accident, she was driving during the winter (by Blue River-Vailmont) and coming around a corner this car came across the divide and hit us. I don’t recall if the song played before or after, and it wasn’t a serious accident AT ALL, but the experience left me absolutely spellbound by the Sounds of Silence (the song on the radio sometime that day).

I read all about it later on, the 12-string and how they’d recorded it ages before etc. It isn’t my favorite Simon and Garfunkel song but it’s always the one I instantly think of when the names come up.

Yes America.

80. "Steve Smith" says:

You know what makes it? It’s that fucker in the gabardine suit.

I’m going to go listen to it right now.

The version on there goes rhymin Simon is more sparse and prettier, but they are all good. Man, I feel better someone thinks Artie’s an idiot. :-)

82. "Steve Smith" says:

You’re thinking of Live Rhymin’There Goes Rhymin’ Simon didn’t have America. Unless you’re thinking of American Tune, which is also excellent.

Live Rhymin’‘s* also the one that includes the entreaty from an audience member for Simon to say a few words, which leads to his response: “Let’s hope that we…continue…to live…” followed by rapturous applause. A real poet, that guy. Art probably would have stared in panicked silence for ten seconds and then burst into Bridge Over Troubled Water, which would have been terrible, because that song is entirely inappropriate for bursting.

*Double apostrophe intentional.

Yeah, I was thinking of Live Rhymin’. where is the live sparse version of America? It’s really nice, his guitar and him (and probably 500,000 lighters).

84. "Steve Smith" says:

Yeah, it’s on Live Rhymin’, but not There Goes Rhymin’ Simon, which was a studio album that included American Tune, but not America.

“Steve Smith”:

86. dangilitis says:

99thoilerfan,

I would argue that he was a beat up Mustang with Pintos, Edsels and Mike Browns (I could not find a better analogy for a face puncher). And being forced to tow them around.

4 reasons why he will be much better this year as a 3rd/4th line winger:

1) He was asked to play center. I want you to work a job for 20 years and do it well (LT already pointed out that he faded a bit but played above my expectations in 2011-12), then change your job description altogether. Another analogy, we are all giving Gagner and RNH years of patience to learn the job, but we are pissing on Smyth because he didn’t pick up on center this year?
    2) He was asked to play with the above noted players who couldn’t drive offense if their lives depended on it. Sometimes, I felt Smyth slowed the game down and made weak plays because there was no support around him. Even Moreau-esque plays like shooting the puck from the blue line. Unlike Moreau, however, often times that seemed like the best play given who he was playing with and where they were relative to him on the ice.
    3) He was not in game shape to start the season. Blame him for sure because he could have trained more. But he is a proud man and I think with a shorter off season he will be better to start the season. He has no choice as there are weak but present 3rd and 4th line players waiting to take his spot. He is 37, he’s not a senior citizen, and I think he can find another gear to keep him game ready this season.
    4) He’s Ryan effin Smyth.
    Ryan Smyth walks in a drive thru.
    Ryan Smyth does not sleep, he waits.
    There are 4 states of matter: solid, liquid, gas, and Ryan Smyth.
    Ryan Smyth was once in a catch 22… and then he wasn’t.
    Ryan Smyth once threw a handful of rocks into the ocean. They are now called Hawaii…
    Ryan Smyth has no living enemies.
    When Alexander Bell invented the telephone he had 3 missed calls from Ryan Smyth.
    Fear of spiders is called arachnophobia. Fear of tight spaces is called claustrophobia. Fear of Ryan Smyth is called logic.
    Ryan Smyth does not call the wrong number. You answer the wrong phone.
    There used to be a street named after Ryan Smyth, but it was changed because nobody crosses Ryan Smyth and lives.
    Ryan Smyth is the reason why Waldo is still hiding.
    Ryan Smyth can win a game of Connect Four in only three moves.
    Ryan Smyth once made a Happy Meal cry.
    Ryan Smyth counted to infinity – twice.
    Ryan Smyth’s hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush
    Ryan Smyth destroyed the periodic table, because Ryan Smyth only recognizes the element of surprise.
    Ryan Smyth is currently suing NBC, claiming Law and Order are trademarked names for his left and right legs.
    And last… when Ryan Smyth does a push up, he doesn’t lift himself up, he pushes the Earth down

(Special thanks to: http://www.chucknorrisfacts.com/design-chuck-norris-shirt-us?txt=Fear%20of%20spiders%20is%20aracnaphobia,%20fear%20of%20tight%20spaces%20is%20chlaustraphobia,%20fear%20of%20Chuck%20Norris%20is%20called%20Logic)

87. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: You’ve beaten my giant, which means you’re exceptionally strong, so you could’ve put the poison in your own goblet, trusting on your strength to save you, so I …

A friend of mine and I, after a long discussion following a viewing of the Princess Bride and a segue into the interesting translating career of Shawn, spent about an hour trying to figure out how to write to him. It was a very frustrating experience.

I love Annie Hall and Simon ain’t half bad in that.

88. spoiler says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I’m willing to say that Paul Simon and Wallace Shawn belong in the same universe.

My Dinner with Andre makes me believe the same thing.

I also buy the SNL and Catch-22 comment by “Steve” too.

Good movie, by the way, but it’s not the book.

89. Romulus Apotheosis says:

spoiler: My Dinner with Andre makes me believe the same thing.

I also buy the SNL and Catch-22 comment by “Steve” too.

Good movie, by the way, but it’s not the book.

MDWA is a great ride. Invigorating all the way through and no shoot-em-ups.

I need to watch Catch-22 again. I mostly just remember Welles showing up to cash a cheque.

On SNL… I did like that one skit with Simon and Kareem (I think it was him).