SAIL ON, TRAIL SMOKE EATER

He arrived fall 2000, first time I noticed him Shawn Horcoff gained position on his mark just past the blueline and rode him through the slot as a pass sailed through the offensive kill zone. Horcoff had the edge in position, the winger’s stick tied up and skated him into the corner in a dance we’ve seen for one hundred years. Hockey. Played well it is majestic. Shawn Horcoff spent his Oiler career doing all kinds of things just like that, and I thank him for the joy he brought to Oilers fans like me. We couldn’t drown out the booing, but we tried and that’s for sure. Sail on, Shawn Horcoff. You are a man.

horcoff mckenzie

215 Responses to "SAIL ON, TRAIL SMOKE EATER"

Newer Comments »
  1. bookje says:

That was quick – from rumour to ‘sail on’?

I hope we traded him in exchange for Dallas destroying the highlights of every Mondano goal ever scored against the Oilers.

2. wordbird says:

Warrior. Hard worker. Good luck Scorcoff!

3. dessert1111 says:

Wonder if Oilers retain salary?

4. striatic says:

Comrade Horcov headed down to Dallas to whip some discipline into Comrade Segayn.

5. bookje says:

If it’s only for a draft pick, the Oilers MUST have another deal in place for a FA centre (at least I would hope). Use some of the Horcoff money to overpay a Centre. Maybe its a claim on Grabbo?

6. striatic says:

bookje: Maybe its a claim on Grabbo?

the timing is right for that, but then again the timing is also right for just having spending change for tomorrow.

7. striatic says:

absolutely need to sign Gagner now. absolutely need to pick up an FA C.

scary.

8. rich says:

wordbird:
    Warrior. Hard worker. Good luck Scorcoff!

Agreed. I know many here didn’t like his last contract, but the guy always busted his tail for the Oilers.

9. striatic says:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 36s
    Sounds like DAL and EDM still putting finishing touches on Horcoff deal and as @DarrenDreger reports, several pieces involved.

10. Smarmy says:

striatic:
    Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 36s

Ruh oh.

11. Lucinius says:

Farewell Comrade Horcov. I will miss you.

For all the hatred spewed towards this player.. its something to remember that Horcoff was on the verge of becoming an actual #1 center in the NHL (deservedly so, I mean). And then he attended an All-Star game.

And got hurt.

And was never the same player again, offensively. He went for Scorcoff to Whiffcoff.

Still, he worked his ass off for the Oilers. He did the hard work with little appreciation from the media or moronic mass of the fan base.

Good soldier, good work ethic.. injury and time did him in. I hope he does well in Dallas (just not against us, which we all know he’ll will.. All ex-Oilers do well against us).

12. RMGS says:

The Kaptain will be missed, and he may just win a pennant with Nill at the helm in Dallas.

It’s Grabovski, Filppula, or bust!

13. fifthcartel says:

I’m on the edge of my seat awaiting the return (if any).

14. Captain Happy says:

No grass growing under Nill’s feet.

Added 3 actual NHL centres in ONE day.

Seguin

Peverley

Horcoff

Fiddler

Vincour

Garbutt

The man knows what he’s doing.

Can’t wait to see what he does tomorrow.

15. "Steve Smith" says:

Captain Happy,

It’s amazing how quickly a guy like Shawn Horcoff can rise in your estimation just by being traded away from the Oilers.

16. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

NHL Centre headcount:

Boston -2
    Edmonton -2
    Dallas + 3

17. striatic says:

Captain Happy: Can’t wait to see what he does tomorrow.

he’s running out of cap space to do things tomorrow.

18. Captain Happy says:

Jason Gregor ‏@JasonGregor 7m

#Stars add Seguin, Peverley and Horcoff today… Nill knows value of strength down the middle.

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 7m

It’s amazing how quickly Dallas rebuilt down the middle. Seguin, Horcoff and Peverley in hours. Nill not wasting time.

19. Lucinius says:

Нинтендо⁶⁴,

To be fair.. the amount of time Seguin spent as a center in Boston isn’t exactly high. He’s completely unproven as a #1 center. He’ll probably work out in Dallas, but its still a risk.

20. Lois Lowe says:

Maybe Vern Fiddler is coming back so that the Oilers have at least 2 centres to start the season. I wouldn’t be surprised if they took a flyer on Glennie as well.

Good bye sir.

You were loved by many, but not enough.

You brought the toughest, most thankless skills to an NHL team, the same reason smart people moan about Grabbo leaving TOR and dumb people cheer it.

If I could punch everyone in the throat who booed you at Rexall/Skyreach/Northlands I would.

You blocked shots with your face and got paid.

Godspeed sir.

22. mustang says:

I always like Horc, very good player just over paid, not a big deal as far as I was concerned. I’ll remember Horc as an Oiler from 2006 playoffs vs Redwings. Game 5 blocking that shot with his head. True warrior and all heart….exactly what we need

23. Ice Sage says:

“Steve Smith”:
    Captain Happy,

Touche’… Eriksson is the best player in all those Stars moves.

24. Captain Happy says:

striatic: he’s running out of cap space to do things tomorrow.

I expect the Oilers will be eating some of Horcoff’s deal.

At the moment they have $10M in free cap space.

25. LMHF#1 says:

Terrified MacTavish is crawling back from the woodshed to announce the details. Hope not.

We wait.

Aaron Ward ‏@aaronward_nhl 30m
    Sources confirming David Clarkson met with the Edmonton Oilers today in Edmonton. #TSN

I think Clarkson would be good for 1-2 years and not good after.

Boy I hope they didn’t throw the bank at him.

Hopefully Fiddler’s part of the return but I doubt it

28. "Steve Smith" says:

Lucinius: For all the hatred spewed towards this player.. its something to remember that Horcoff was on the verge of becoming an actual #1 center in the NHL (deservedly so, I mean).

29. Captain Happy says:

“Steve Smith”:
    Captain Happy,

Everything that has transpired since then has vindicated my opinion.

30. Ice Sage says:

There are some serious pieces in motion tomorrow! Me excite

31. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

Lucinius,

Seguin could not be top 6 and at centre in Boston. Horcoff will get top 9 linemates and heavy lifting.

32. Romulus Apotheosis says:

damn these new-fangled threads while I’m still toiling on the old one! damn their eyes!!

Oh… and… Sail on Horcov! I hope you find some appreciation in Dallas (spits)… but I now kind of hate you.

33. Ice Sage says:

Hall for C seems inevitable – LT called it circa 2011.
    Big fan of Horc as a loyal soldier but he doesn’t have enough anymore. Was holding things back in Oilerland for the last while.

34. wordbird says:

Been wracking my brain trying to remember which playoff series against Dallas… horc takes a pass, unleashes a shot from just inside the blue line, Goal! remember being very surprised, turns out early on, anyway, he could score a bit too.

35. RMGS says:

Though we’ll read about the faceblock heard around the world (or at least Central Alberta), the Kaptain’s been invaluable to the team since then, logging hard, unheralded minutes and living to be booed for it all ON HOME ICE. He’s been a great player and a great Oiler.

“Steve Smith”: He came one game away from winning a Stanley Cup as an actual #1 centre in the NHL (deservedly so, I mean).

Every asshole who cheers this move needs to be reminded of this.

I think Horc’s speed has dropped a ton and 3C might be a bit much for him if you expect offence back, but he’s still a guy who can fight the best to a saw off, and someone as smart as Jim Nill knows that.

37. magisterrex says:

But…but whose fault will it be now?

38. Traktor says:

Mact is the best gm in the league.

It’s almost like I’m the gm.

39. Captain Happy says:

magisterrex:
    But…but whose fault will it be now?

Gagner.

Oh wait….

40. Wolfie says:

So what’s the over/under on how many goals Horcoff will torch the Oilers for in his first game against them?!?

41. "Steve Smith" says:

Wolfie,

Forty-six. I’ll take the under.

42. Traktor says:

Wonder if Mac tossed mps in the deal for a D

43. Romulus Apotheosis says:

tsn radio in toronto is saying toronto was offering to eat some salary in a trade for Grabo… that’s pretty galling if we didn’t chase that.

44. 99thoilerfan says:

Thank you for the heavy lifting, all these years. Best of luck in the future, all the best.

In the end, ” once an Oiler, always a Oiler.”

Fun Fact: Horcoff age 34, was drafted by the Oilers in the fourth round in 1998.

45. striatic says:

Romulus Apotheosis: that’s pretty galling if we didn’t chase that.

depends greatly on what TOR wanted back in terms of assets in trade.

46. "Steve Smith" says:

99thoilerfan: Fun Fact:

Wheee!

47. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Posted this in the last thread, but I’m puzzled enough to re-post it… what’s going on here…

Bob McKenzieVerified account
    ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
    Sounds like DAL and EDM still finalizing Horcoff deal and as @DarrenDreger reports, more than one piece is involved.

Bob McKenzieVerified account
    ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

“still finalizing” vs” “still putting finishing touches on”

“more than one piece” vs “several pieces”

why the double post? why the slight massaging of the language?

48. Maverick says:

Sail on Shawn. It was the contract that really soured him to the public. Still was a good an Oiler are Moreau.

Question is how long did LT have this post written? waiting to posted it from the saved folder.

magisterrex:
    But…but whose fault will it be now?

This. All day.

50. Maverick says:

Captain Happy:
    No grass growing under Nill’s feet.

Added 3 actual NHL centres in ONE day.

Seguin

Peverley

Horcoff

Fiddler

Vincour

Garbutt

The man knows what he’s doing.

Can’t wait to see what he does tomorrow.

I know Captain Happy you consider yourself “a person in the know”

BUT! Vincour was traded to Colorado in the spring and has signed a contract in the KHL for this year.

51. pboy says:

Heart and soul player. RNH and Gagner won’t enjoy playing against him for the next couple of years. What’s the over/under on the amount of goals he scores on us next season?

52. Romulus Apotheosis says:

striatic: depends greatly on what TOR wanted back in terms of assets in trade.

If they ended up buying him out and were willing to eat salary… they wanted that cap space pretty bad… I’m guessing not much and no roster players… probably a middling pick(s) or prospect(s)

I’m hoping Robidas is coming back in this deal.

54. russ99 says:

Horcoff was a heck of an Oiler. Especially during the early years.

Kinda sucks that Lowe caved and gave him that huge contract, since otherwise he’d have been much more appreciated here the last few years.

I wouldn’t mind seeing an experienced player come in and take on the captaincy. Not sure if Hall or Eberle is ready for it yet.

Gagner needs to be signed ASAP.

55. Clay says:

He stayed professional while the team fell to shit around him. I’ll miss him for sure.

Now, is there any debate about whether or not Hall is the next Captain? I can’t imagine anyone else getting the C.

I wonder if Nill would make this a big trade? You know, A BIG TRADE.

57. PDO says:

Only jersey I’ve ever owned. Signed too. Would love to see him raise Stanley one day though not in those colours.

58. tcho says:

Wish Comrade Horcov nothing but the best. Hope he wins the Stanley before he retires. Guy was a warrior.

Now… ummm… proven NHL (but not over the hill) vets please? Soonish?

59. Jon K says:

An hour or so after I ask why MacT hasn’t traded Horcoff and this happens. He was a good soldier and he made the team better. Hopefully this isn’t a misstep, but it was definitely needed. There was friction between Horcoff and some of the younger players and you can’t let those situations linger.

60. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Wolfie:

pboy:

Oilers fans!

we share a brain.

61. Lucinius says:

God I hope not. Else Smid and Paajarvi are out the door!

I’m not entirely being sarcastic, either.

I fear the day the Oilers trade either one of those.

62. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I wonder if Nill would make this a big trade? You know, A BIG TRADE.

3 for 1!!!

(what 3 does Horc’s 1 get you I wonder?)

63. bookje says:

Captain Happy: I’ve always thought, since Christ was a Cowboy, that Horcoff was a great 3rd line centre.

Everything that has transpired since then has vindicated my opinion.

64. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

So which Dallas center do we get for Gagner?

65. RMGS says:

“@JonathanWillis: As of right now, the #Oilers don’t have a single healthy, signed, NHL centre in the system.”

MacT’s going for it: Filppula, Grabovski, Gordon.

66. Captain Happy says:

Maverick: I know Captain Happy you consider yourself “a person in the know”

Oh well…I guess they’ll have to make do with the other 5.

Jonathan Willis ‏@JonathanWillis 6m

67. Captain Happy says:

bookje: Yes, but to be fair, you have to remember that you’re nothing more than a troll who hates the Oilers when you consider you insights Into such things.

I don’t hate the Oliers…was a season ticket holder for many years.

I hate Kevin Lowe.

There IS a difference.

68. uni says:

DSF, I never knew you held Horcoff in any sort of regard as an NHL calibre player.

Of all the teams, I dislike the Stars the most. Seeing Horcoff in their silks might drive me to drink.

Can we have a do-over and hire Jim Nill as GM?

69. Romulus Apotheosis says:

RMGS:

MacT’s going for it: Filppula, Grabovski, Gordon.

MacT is going to be bold… all Winger Lines! No Cs!

70. iHockeyWpg says:

Cody Eakin is a 6′ center with speed to burn. At 22 years old he fits right in with the Oilers young guns.

71. bookje says:

Woodguy:
    Good bye sir.

You were loved by many, but not enough.

You blocked shots with your face and got paid.

Godspeed sir.

Fully agree! I am willing to bet that he does a great Mondano impression against the Oilers for the next few years.

72. "Steve Smith" says:

Romulus Apotheosis: MacT is going to be bold… all Winger Lines! No Cs!

73. DBO says:

Wow. Well we knew it was coming. credit to Nil. Fucker wastes no time.

Horc wil be mssed. But his time has passed. and if we are getting anything resembling an NHL player back, then this is a win for the Oilers.

I expect that MacT has some assurances from a centre or two that they will sign here since it happened after some free agents visited.

As for Clarkson, man it better not be for more then $5 mill. Even that is a lot. MacArthur, all day.

74. LostBoy says:

I wonder if Yakupov will switch to 10 now (assuming no vet who wears it is acquired).

75. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“Steve Smith”: It’s a compromise solution between LT’s C-LW-RW and the rest of the world’s LW-C-RW: LW-LW-RW.

Instead of playing off-wing, players can play off-centre!

76. pboy says:

DBO:
    Wow. Well we knew it was coming. credit to Nil. Fucker wastes no time.

Amen

77. Lucinius says:

Depending on what else gets moved around in this deal, I’d like to see the Oilers;

- Take a shot at Grabovski
    - Get MacArthur
    - Pass on Clarkson if he wants more than 5 million to play here
    - Clone RNH, Hall, Paajarvi, Eberle, Yak, Smid.

78. Romulus Apotheosis says:

DBO:

The greatest fear is this…. lessons not learned.

Get out from under a boat anchor contract on a solid player to acquire a solid player on a boat anchor contract.

Seek value… remember we’ve got the big pieces. we just need complementary parts… if you are paying more than 4-4.5M you aren’t talking about complementary parts anymore (up front anyway… spending on D is cool)

79. SpotTheLoon says:

I always felt badly for how some fans blamed Horcoff for everything that went amiss with the Oilers. He was always a good player for the team who played his heart out. Certainly not the most talented player to ever lace up skates but a true leader who worked his ass off every night. It wasn’t his fault that Kevin Lowe opened up the vault for him. Yet many expected him to play at a level beyond his capabilities. Horcoff, for the player he is, will be missed. His contributions were not always on the ice and I think that he was a great leader during difficult times. My hat if off to you, sir. I wish you nothing but the best.

80. Lucinius says:

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 4s

Oilers-Stars still working on Horcoff trade. Hearing defenseman Philip Larsen and a 7th to Oil. Could be more going to Dallas. #TSN

Interesting…..

81. 99thoilerfan says:

LostBoy:

I do not think Tik would mind.

82. tcho says:

bookje,

Oh, he’s more than a troll. He’ s an entirely disingenuous troll. Witness his claim (above) that he’s always thought that Horcoff was a FINE 3rd line centre.

Also, a troll who refused to admit when he’s dead fucking wrong. Witness his proposed trade of Gagner PLUS Eberle PLUS the 7th overall for Schneider. Lamoriello should put him on the payroll! Way better than… oh. Wait.

83. striatic says:

better not be much headed to Dallas.

84. tcho says:

Grabovski rips into Carlyle on his departure. I know it must be hard for players, but I really wish their agents would grab hold of their lips or something. It really makes them look bad when millionaires do things like this.

85. Ribs says:

DarrenDreger

Hot damn! Larsen! Hah

86. Lucinius says:

striatic,

Nice edit :)

My F5-fu was strong on that one. Been refreshing the Dreger twitter account like crazy for awhile.

I’m pretty worried what else is headed to Dallas given there’s been no word of the Oilers eating cap space. If its one of the following I’ll be pretty bloody angry; MPS, Klefbom, Marincin, Lander.

87. Магия¹º says:

LostBoy:

Assuming so. (НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴)

88. DBO says:

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 4m

89. Maverick says:

Larsen??

90. Rondo says:

Maverick,

Not Adam

91. Ribs says:

Maverick,

Larsen’s awesome. Don’t worry about it. :)

92. uni says:

Horcoff should have retired an Oilers, not as a Star. Damn well better be an actual NHL player coming back and the Oilers damn well better not be giving up anything else but Horcoff.

93. Maverick says:

Rondo:
    Maverick,

Not Adam

LOL thanks.

94. Maverick says:

Philip Larsen is the number one search in the Edmonton region right now!!!

95. russ99 says:

Larsen is a good return, hope we didn’t give up too much else.

If we have to include someone like Marincin, that wouldn’t be good.

Potter moves to the press box.

96. Bar_Qu says:

Who is this Larsen I am too lazy to look up?

97. "Steve Smith" says:

Larsen: bottom pairing/pressbox minutes. Second worst Corsi on the team, facing second easiest competition (by both standard and Corsi QualComp). Despite having a 46.6% zonestart, he actually managed a slightly negative zoneshift, which is a hell of a feat.

He’s 23 years old, so there’s lots of room to grow, but if he’s playing a regular shift in the Oilers’ top six next year, it’s going to have been a disappointing off-season.

98. uni says:

This review of Phillip Larsen is less than encouraging. If this is the return I’d rather we just kept Horcoff…or you know, just never win another face-off again.

99. Lucinius says:

So.. Larsen looks like a young, depth defenseman to play as the 7th-8th d-man. Not horrible return for someone a noisy segment of the fan base wanted bought out.

100. Ribs says:

He had a bad year. I liked him when he was playing well. Maybe he turns it around.

101. RMGS says:

Ribs:
    Maverick,

Larsen’s awesome. Don’t worry about it.

Is this sarcasm? :)

102. "Steve Smith" says:

russ99: Potter moves to the press box.

I’m not certain Larsen’s better than Potter. He’s a lot younger, so there’s presumably some upside there.

If it’s Horcoff (and his full contract) for Larsen and a 7th, I’d still count it as a win, but I’m not terribly excited about Philip Larsen.

103. PaperDesigner says:

Larsen seems like a good add. Player young enough to grow with the core, right shot D, can probably be slotted in on the bottom pairing, just getting to the part of his career where he can help.

If they don’t have to add much (Pitlick?), I’m all for this. Heck, even if they have to throw in a Musil, they’re still getting a ton of cap space and a right shot young defenceman, when they’ve got, right now, Marincin, Nurse, Gernat, Musil and Klefbom on the left.

As Lowetide has repeatedly put, defencemen develop by sundial. We may just have a player who someone else grew tired of watching the sundial for too long. Even if all he turns into is a good, puck-moving 3rd pairing guy, that’s still something, and it’s something that you can keep around for a while, given his age. Anything more is gravy.

104. tcho says:

Thanks Rom and LT. Interesting gamble, I think. Young D, average size, played a sheltered role and got beat (corsi, +/-), but also battled an injury.

Let’s hope he’s our version of the Brodziak trade! A guy about to turn the corner and fit in with the young forwards.

105. DBO says:

Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper 3m
    Confirming #Oilers get 2016 7th round pick and D Larsen in return for Horcoff going to #Stars.

106. uni says:

In that review they mentioned that he’s pretty much run in place for 3 seasons taking a step back last season. I am not enamored of this player. Trading your only defensively capable center and also the only guy that can win a faceoff consistently for an undersized 8th defenseman isn’t inspiring. Didn’t the Oilers just clear out 3 middling D prospects?

107. russ99 says:

Larsen is a 23 year old project defenseman, with no overall weaknesses but needs more strength and could add some weight. Better bottom pairing option than both Potter or Fistric.

He’s a FA next offseason, so Dallas moved him to clear room for one of the young guys coming up.

For a salary dump of a guy everyone knew we needed to move, MacT did pretty good. If we didn’t eat salary, it’s a fantastic move.

108. Maverick says:

Really crazy when you look at it. MacT moved Horcoff’s big contract for a depth defenseman and a late pick. Saved $4.5 cap hit. That’s a pretty big move by MacT.

109. Captain Happy says:

Looks like they traded Horcoff for a 7th round pick in 3 years time and Cam Barker:

“Which brings us to Philip Larsen. The 6-foot, 190 pound defenseman is one of six NHL defensemen under contract for the Stars next season, and he will be a restricted free agent after 2013-14. But given the glut of youngsters behind him and his rather pedestrian play through large stretches of this year, he may very well have played himself into being the odd man out.

By nearly every measure, Larsen had a disappointing 2013 season. Injuries and a few trips to the press box limited him to 32 games, and he put up two goals and three assists with a minus-10 rating. That’s the second worst plus-minus on the team behind Jamie Benn.

The advanced stats also point to him having a rough year. Larsen was highly sheltered in terms of the quality of competition he played against, seeing the vast majority of his time on the team’s third pairing. But he wasn’t able to take advantage of the easier minutes. He was the Stars second worst defenseman in Corsi On (the number of shot attempts taken by a team while a player is on the ice minus the number of shot attempts against) to Aaron Rome, and when that number is made relative to the quality of competition he faced, he was by far the worst defenseman on the team with a number almost double that of Jordie Ben”

110. striatic says:

Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper 6m

2016?

ok weird.

111. "Steve Smith" says:

Maverick:
    Really crazy when you look at it.MacT moved Horcoff’s big contract for a depth defenseman and a late pick.Saved $4.5 cap hit.That’s a pretty big move by MacT.

112. RMGS says:

DBO:
    Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper 3m

Phew!

113. uni says:

PaperDesigner,

Larsen was sheltered last season, didn’t deliver offensively, and he got beat. I won’t bet on him being part of the core going forward. I sure hope the professional scouts know something about him we don’t.

114. pboy says:

russ99:

Exactly right. This was a salary dump, plain and simple. The fact that MacT got anything in return is mind boggling. If he doesn’t retain any salary, I’ll be completely blown away.

115. DBO says:

we got an NHL ready body for Horcoff. People should be singing MacT’s praises and lining the streets with roses. he wanted out, we said we were going to move him. if we kept back no salary, so Horc has no futrher drain on our cap, then this is a huge win for the Oil.

116. Maverick says:

“Steve Smith”: It remains to be seen whether MacT moved Horcoff’s entire cap hit (which is $5.5 million, not $4.5 million).

Good point. I will reserve my applause for MacT until further notice.

As for the cap saving = Horcoff 5.5M – Larsen 1.0 M = $4.5 M. That’s where I got that number from.

117. LostBoy says:

I assume he means since we took back Larsen’s $1.025 cap hit, the net savings is ~$4.5m if we didn’t keep any of Horcoff’s?

118. RexLibris says:

I remember listening to games on my radio while working a night job or walking in the park. There were a few lines that always stuck out in my memory, one being Rod Philips saying Horcoff was one of the ugliest skaters he’d ever seen, but he always gets to where he needs to be, and more quickly than one would think.

Loved this player, sad to see him go and I can only wish him the best against 28 other teams in the league.

119. Racki says:

Details SEEM to be that it was Horcoff for a 7th + Larsen.. without any cap hit retained. If so, MacT just performed 3 miracles today by not only moving Horcoff, but doing it without getting a big contract back, and without retaining salary.

Good work.

There is a major hole at C now though

120. oilersfan says:

Stauffer has been saying for a month that horcoff is going to dallas and hemsky to phoenix . So who is on phoenix’s roster that would make sense in return?

121. uni says:

A 2016 7th round pick? WTF. This better be a salary dump because MacTavish already has Grabovski and Gordon signed.

122. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Darren DregerVerified account
    ‏@DarrenDreger
    Stars needed another veteran centre and didn’t push the Oilers to eat money in the deal. Both got what they wanted.

123. Gret99zky says:

Now don’t forget to update the MacT list, LT.

124. Acumen says:

Anyone who complains about this transaction deserves a cold hard slap in the face. MacTavish cleared depreciating dead cap space without using a compliance buyout. Larsen is just as useless as the ’16 7th and that is the point. Be happy. For once Oiler fans, be happy.

All due respect to Horcoff of course, dude was a good foot soldier.

125. fifthcartel says:

Woah, they didn’t keep any of Horcoff’s cap.

126. RMGS says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

Darren DregerVerified account
    ‏@DarrenDreger

Next on MacT’s agenda: multiply loaves and fishes.

127. cc says:

I cannot believe they didn’t even make a play for Seguin. Strike one Mac!

128. striatic says:

Captain Happy: I expect the Oilers will be eating some of Horcoff’s deal.
    At the moment they have $10M in free cap space.

ahem.

it appears the Oilers ate no salary, and that the Stars now only have 5m in cap space.

129. "Steve Smith" says:

130. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Captain Happy,

I know things are going fast… but I think posting an article for the 3rd time is kind of overkill, no?

131. "Steve Smith" says:

striatic,

Captain Happy never said otherwise; if you don’t believe me, just ask him.

cc:
    I cannot believe they didn’t even make a play for Seguin.Strike one Mac!

Do you see an elite mid-career two-way forward on the Oilers signed to a beauty of a contract like Loui Ericsson?

133. Maverick says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

Darren DregerVerified account
    ‏@DarrenDreger

WHOA!
    “clapping for MacT”

Huh. I’ve been waiting for 15 minutes to find out what else the Oilers are giving up and the answer is nothing? So, no pick or prospect and no money? Well that’s a deal I’ll take. Man. Dallas have any centers?

135. striatic says:

Edmonton now has $21 million in cap space heading into free agency.

136. RMGS says:

cc,

Hahaha! Right?

137. theres oil in virginia says:

Acquiring Larson means we can dump Smid now!

Sincerely,
    LT

138. tcho says:

Pretty decent first trade, MacT.

139. tcho says:

Why does LT hate Smid? ;-)

140. PaperDesigner says:

uni:
    PaperDesigner,

Larsen was sheltered last season, didn’t deliver offensively, and he got beat.I won’t bet on him being part of the core going forward.I sure hope the professional scouts know something about him we don’t.

Larsen is also a 2008 draft pick, and a very young hockey player, especially for a defenceman. I think he’ll establish himself as some sort of NHL player within the next few years, even if it’s nothing more than a third pairing guy. But… he could be more. Bottom line for me is they got a warm body that makes a bit of sense and a whole lot of cap space to get someone else. It’s probably about the best possible scenario I could have imagined for a Horcoff deal.

141. Rondo says:

Oilers should trade with Dallas for a center.

142. Captain Happy says:

“Steve Smith”: Then I’m confused – is Nill a genius or is he not a genius for acquiring Horcoff at a $5.5 million cap hit?

Dallas has no cap issues so the $5.5M doesn’t matter much.

The question is whether or not Horcoff is worth the extra $3M or so the Stars will be paying him next season over and above a defenseman who was passed on their depth chart.

I’d guess Horcoff is worth that much.

143. Ribs says:

RMGS: Is this sarcasm?

A little bit :). I had mentioned that they should trade for him a while back and since then he’s dug himself a bit of a hole. There’s still a player, there, dammit! (I hope)

144. dangilitis says:

I will never forget game 3OT winner from Smytty, watching from the highest row in Rexall. Best wishes to Horcs. Just hope we aren’t eating any cap hit.

145. PaperDesigner says:

striatic:
    Edmonton now has $21 million in cap space heading into free agency.

Don’t spend it on Clarkson!

146. Lewko says:

uni,

Horcoff requested out. I don’t think coming back was an option. This is a win as we save our compliance buyout for next year if needed (say we get someone from PHI to buyout) and don’t eat any salary. I’m fairly pleased.

147. spoiler says:

Gord bless you, Shawn Horcoff, for everything, which is frickin considerable. Go have fun and enjoy the change. Life is cruel and there’s been 40 years of wandering the desert, but this isn’t your team anymore, and you deserve a clean slate in a new town. Thank you for being a warrior over these long draining years.

148. striatic says:

tcho: Pretty decent first trade, MacT.

In the end, MacT avoided using up a compliance buyout.

As i see it, that is the only significant benefit of this trade. The depth D is a fine toss in though.

How useful will the extra compliance buyout be going forward? i have no idea.

149. "Steve Smith" says:

Captain Happy: Dallas has no cap issues so the $5.5M doesn’t matter much.

150. DeadmanWaking says:

A while back I was a reading an account by some literary luminary of having lunch with a lettered comrade of similar stature only to have the bombshell dropped by his confrere of having been commissioned that very morning to write an obituary, for the files, of a certain someone seated at this very table currently perusing the drinks menu. “Sorry old chum, I mean you. Might I ask you a few questions?” While a bit blanched to be dining with the great summation, he decided it wasn’t the time to bring up that he himself had already written his confrere’s obituary some time ago. Small world. “Really? I wrote yours a couple of years back, as clearly you are one step closer to the great curtain call.” No, best let him complete the assigned task without injecting the black venom of circularity. There will be time enough to hash the morbid mutual assessment over a dozen pints once the assignment’s done. Presumably.

I have this vision of Lowetide’s gathering flotilla of as-yet-unpublished “sail on” posts becoming as bottled up as Xerxes’ navy at the Battle of Salamis, Commodore Dagwood foiling the Hoagie infidel with a muscular pincer that no amount of Persian mayo could dislodge. The Spartans might not have much furniture, but they could really hold together a seven-decker will minimal pickle creep. Discipline. And practice.

151. Ben says:

Vermette?

152. PaperDesigner says:

I just realized that they still have Hemsky on the books too. If they deal Hemsky for a similar return, they could end up with twenty five million in cap space.

Could you spend that much money in free agency if you even TRIED?

153. striatic says:

"Steve Smith": I guess that’s fair, since it’s the same thing you always said about his contract when the Oilers, who also had no cap issues, were paying it.

Q.E.D.

154. Lois Lowe says:

I am fine with the return and wish Horcoff the best in those godawful new Dallas uniforms.

155. fifthcartel says:

Just saying, I would bet MacT is planning on spending some money tomorrow or else it’s just a coincidence he’s clearing 5.5M off the Oiler’s roster the day before free agency opens.

156. tcho says:

PaperDesigner,

In my fantasy world, they’re clearing cap space for a Shea Webber trade….

157. "Steve Smith" says:

fifthcartel,

I’ll bet you $20 that the sun rises in the east tomorrow.

158. RMGS says:

Ribs: A little bit . I had mentioned that they should trade for him a while back and since then he’s dug himself a bit of a hole. There’s still a player, there, dammit! (I hope)

Dude, I’m just glad the team has all that cap space to sign Filppula, Grabovski, and Gordon tomorrow, so welcome to the team, young Larsen!

159. striatic says:

PaperDesigner: Could you spend that much money in free agency if you even TRIED?

you need to set aside a bunch of that to pay Gagner, RNH and Yakupov

those three alone could end up being something like 17 million.

25 minus 17 is just 8 million going forward.

160. PaperDesigner says:

tcho:
    PaperDesigner,

In my fantasy world, they’re clearing cap space for a Shea Webber trade….

I think I prefer your fantasy world to reality.

161. DBO says:

CapGeek ‏@capgeek 2m
    With so many big-bonus players, they’ll want to leave themselves some breathing room to avoid an overage in 2014-15.

162. 99thoilerfan says:

Does this answer the question, if Horc had value in the market?

163. Romulus Apotheosis says:

striatic: How useful will the extra compliance buyout be going forward? i have no idea.

I gather Katz values this trade a fair bit.

164. striatic says:

actually my math is way off there.

165. striatic says:

“Steve Smith”: $17 million beyond what they already make? I sort of doubt that.

right.

it would be more like 10 million.

which would leave 15 million in cap space, which is a lot, but certainly spendable.

166. spoiler says:

tcho:
    PaperDesigner,

In my fantasy world, they’re clearing cap space for a Shea Webber trade….

Which can’t happen tomorrow, as it’s less than a year after Weber signed the offer sheet.

99thoilerfan: Does this answer the question, if Horc had value in the market?

Sure. Clearly he had value because the Oilers traded him without taking money back. Dallas just used up half of their remaining cap room. Value? Yeah.

168. jonrmcleod says:

Check and mate.

169. theres oil in virginia says:

I’m thinking that if a player (Grabovski) was grabbed on waivers, we wouldn’t find out until the next day?

170. "Steve Smith" says:

Lois Lowe:

“Steve Smith”: I’m fine with the return too; I just think we should acknowledge that the return is basically non-existent.

Agreed. The deal was Horcoff for complete cap relief. Not much doubt about it.

172. DBO says:

Joanne Ireland ‏@jirelandEJ 3m
    The Horcoff trade will not be finalized tonight so there will be no comment from the #oilers or the #stars.

Joanne Ireland ‏@jirelandEJ 3m

Retweeted by mc79hockey

174. "Steve Smith" says:

I should add that I’m going to be retroactively less happy with the return if we go into the season with Lander and Arcobello both on the NHL roster and $10 million in cap space. MacT made a good move to clear up a pile of cap space, and in the process left us in even more dire need of centres. If there’s a plan to do something about that, this was a good trade. Otherwise, it resembles nothing so much as the Staios trade (which was also a good salary dump, but which left us with a great and never-remedied paucity of NHL defenders).

175. Lois Lowe says:

176. spoiler says:

It’s funny (not really) how the Grabovski comments on Carlyle are the top story on TSN over today’s trades.

177. Magnus says:

A few thoughts:

1. Unless the team plucks him off waivers (and I don’t think they should as that contract is horrible), I think there’s little chance of Grabovski signing with us. I have to believe a team like Detroit is going to go after him hard, specially if they lose Filppula.

2. Hearing that our GM is going full tilt after Clarkson makes me cringe. I’m starting to think that the only thing keeping our GM from making any foolish deals is the even greater stupidity of other GMs.

3. Crossing my fingers that MacArthur gets signed. Math favours him and so will the cap hit.

4. Am I the only one who would rather sign Maxim Lapierre than Boyd Gordon? Gordon is a higher profile UFA who will most likely have more teams after him and thus cost more. Plus Gordon doesn’t have enough offense to be a good 3rd line center, and will likely get paid too much to have him on the 4th line. Let’s remember, Belanger had much more impressive history of putting points up when he was signed. Lapierre I believe, will cost less and while not as good defensively, brings a lot more grit and physicality.

5. When does Mike Zigomanis get introduced as a UFA signing?

6. What’s up with this other Russian defenseman we’re supposed to be signing? I highly doubt its Grebeshkov. He has history here, but has been less than impressive since leaving the NHL. I’m hoping for Nikita Zaitsev.

7. Can we buy out Philip Larsen now? I don’t even know if he’d be a big improvement to the Baron’s top 6.

178. RexLibris says:

Lois Lowe: As an Oiler fan who witnessed the Tambellini era, I can say that my expectations are extraordinarily low.

Lower than those of Flames fans right now?

Not sure that is possible.

Re-signing McGrattan for two years says plenty about where that management group is heading.

179. Kris11 says:

Goodbye Captain Horcoff. You were the best and classiest player of the Oilers of your era. Unfortunately, that era was hard times.

Here’s to a new era for the Oilers,

180. PaperDesigner says:

striatic: you need to set aside a bunch of that to pay Gagner, RNH and Yakupov

those three alone could end up being something like 17 million.

25 minus 17 is just 8 million going forward.

Sort of.

You have to pay Gagner now, but the cap is probably going to go back up before you have to actually pay Nugent-Hopkins, Yakupov or Schultz their money. Nugent-Hopkins and Schultz are a year away from the end of their entry level contracts, Yakupov is two.

In fact, I would bet that the cap increase will be enough to cover at least two, of those contracts raises. If we’re using cap geek, remember that the Nugent-Hopkins, Schultz and Yakupov contracts are calculated at near four million as is. If the cap goes to seventy million from here, and you give them all the same contract as Hall/Eberle, you’ve mostly paid them out of the cap increase right there.

I think we’re expecting Gagner to drop for a little less than five million. But let’s assume five million, flat.

You’ve still got 20 million, even if you keep Hemsky, because he’s not going to be here after next year, in all likelihood. You can acquire Coburn as a Philly cap dump, and still have 15 and a half. You can probably invest another four and a half in a second line winger (Macarthur, Stallberg), three in a third line centre, and still have eight million to invest in three more fourth line players and a back-up goalie. And that’s just the long-term projection, because at this time next year, Yakupov’s contract will not be kicking in for another year yet.

By my numbers, you should be able to easily invest in a pretty good second line player in free agency as well as a pretty good third line centre, and still be able to have plenty of space to sign the young players on their second contract, and have some money to play with as well. Petry probably requires a raise at some point, Schultz you either upgrade for his 3.5 price tag or get someone more reasonably priced for the third pairing, but I don’t see any major turmoil on the blue-line budget.

This team is in a superb position relative to the cap, in my opinion.

181. striatic says:

theres oil in virginia: I guess that his contract could be bought out later, since it was an old-CBA contract?

i have no idea, but i’d really like to know if this is true.

there might be something in the new CBA about only being able to do one compliance buyout per old-CBA contract.

assuming it can be done twice, it makes claiming Grabovski much less risky.

182. striatic says:

PaperDesigner: This team is in a superb position relative to the cap, in my opinion.

i agree, and at a time where that space will never be more useful.

183. gcw_rocks says:

In his 20s at 3.5M per Horcoff was very good value. In his 30s at 5.5M he was terrible value for the offence he brought. Can’t seperate the contract from the player. So long Horcoff. I won’t miss you, but I do appreciate what you did in your prime.

Weiss or Grabovski on a 3 or 4 year deal please.

184. PaperDesigner says:

striatic: i agree, and at a time where that space will never be more useful.

As long as they don’t overpay badly. Every year, there’s at a few players who have their value driven up way too high based on a level of unusually high recent success. It makes me nervous that the most obvious candidate to be that player this year, Clarkson, is being repeatedly mentioned in connection to Edmonton, by Stauffer, etc..

185. bookje says:

“Steve Smith”:
    fifthcartel,

I’ll bet you $20 that the sun rises in the east tomorrow.

Which East?

186. theres oil in virginia says:

striatic:
    assuming it can be done twice, it makes claiming Grabovski much less risky.

Well, technically, he hasn’t yet been bought out, he’s only on waivers. It definitely would make it less risky, as only money would be lost, not cap hit if it didn’t work out. I wonder if there’s some kinda code amongst GMs, not to do it. I have a hard time believing they could agree on anything like that though.

187. Racki says:

Oilers now have some serious cap space to work with.

$24 Million, 7 bodies to fill.. That’s an average of $3.4M per player. I know we don’t want to go all crazy, but that gives MacTavish free reign to overspend on some guys.

I think for this to work he is going to have to do that. As long as it is the right guys, I don’t mind.

Oh, and we haven’t even moved Hemsky yet. That number will improve.

188. Jon K says:

I’m extremely concerned about the team’s apparent strategy of planning on acquiring another NHL C by free agency or trade before the season starts. Even if RNH is healthy and Gagner is re-signed, we potentially could end up with Lander as the 3 C after camp breaks if MacT strikes out.

Do the Oilers not have another compliance buyout, even after Belanger? It seems that there wouldn’t be much risk to picking up Grabovski off of waivers now, and then using the last compliance buyout next summer if he doesn’t work out. Give him a chance to redeem himself and use him as the 2/3, a role in which he has an established history of success. The only risk is to the owner’s bottom line if the compliance buyout is used, and I kind of feel like he owes us one for the arena deal.

189. Traktor says:

MacT basically just saved Katz however many millions it would cost to buy out Horcoff.
    Much better players were put on waivers today…

Dat MacT

190. PaperDesigner says:

Can they get Grabovski, now? For 4 million?

191. striatic says:

PaperDesigner: It makes me nervous that the most obvious candidate to be that player this year, Clarkson, is being repeatedly mentioned in connection to Edmonton, by Stauffer, etc..

he did have a massive Corsi Rel, with a PDO under 1000 this season.

so while his last year was unusually good for his career, the foundation of that season appears relatively authentic.

192. Henry says:

I think they cleared space on the depth chart and the payroll for a claim on Grabovski. If Calgary or Nashville doesn’t beat them on the claim, the Oilers get the 2004-2006 version of Horcoff, the player, though perhaps not the Horcoff the pro.

I’m going to miss Horc. Next time Dallas humps the Oilers in D I won’t feel so bad.

193. PaperDesigner says:

striatic: he did have a massive Corsi Rel, with a PDO under 1000 this season.

He’s probably a legitimate second line winger. But he’s going to command six million, so, no.

He might have been a good under the radar signing in a stronger free agent class.

194. prairieschooner says:

Cut and paste job courtesy of Striatic

“In March, 2008, after being a healthy scratch for a game against the Phoenix Coyotes, Grabovski left the Montreal Canadiens and flew to Los Angeles to consult with his agent. The incident prompted his trade to the Toronto Maple Leafs that summer.[7]

In January 2009, Grabovski was involved a scuffle with fellow Belarusian Sergei Kostitsyn during a game between the Maple Leafs and Canadiens. The two had been in a feud since Grabovski’s days with the Canadiens. Prior to the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, the head of the Belarusian national hockey program had to intervene in order for the two players to be able to coexist on the same team.[7]

On February 19, 2010, Grabovski was arrested in Vancouver after getting involved in a street scuffle. He was out of the Maple Leafs lineup with a broken wrist at the time of the arrest and was in Vancouver attending the 2010 Winter Olympics. Court documents alleged that Dylan Richardson was punched in the face and knocked unconscious by Grabovski, who then assaulted Richardson’s wife by also punching her in the face.[8]

On February 9, 2013, Grabovski was accused of biting Max Pacioretty of the Montreal Canadiens during a scrum along the boards. The NHL conducted a telephone hearing with the players involved, but couldn’t determine conclusively if Grabovski had bitten Pacioretty.[9] However, on May 20, 2013, more than three months later, Grabovski admitted that he did in fact bite Pacioretty, stating in an interview “He was choking me and I bit him. Don’t stick your hands where you shouldn’t.”[10]”

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikhail_Grabovski