TAYLOR HALL: HEY, YOU’RE AN ALL-STAR!!

Taylor Hall earned the first major award of his young career yesterday, and in doing so sent a clear message to the NHL: Taylor Hall has arrived. The 2nd All-Star nod is nothing to joke about, that’s a clear indication of a bright and promising future. It’s also confirmation for the Oilers ownership and management, in that they are heading in the right direction. Taylor Hall is the first Oiler in 23 years to have won this award–what an exceptional moment in club history.

I’m thrilled for the young man, may even buy the hockey card!

MACT’S LIST

1. Top 4 defender (Braydon Coburn???)
  2. Sign Sam Gagner to a multi-year deal that has begins with a number in the 4′s
  3. Get Paajarvi signed and then find a role that suits him (suspect it’s 3line).
  4. NHL goalie
  5. Find a 2line L who can complement Gagner-Yakupov with puck retrieval, blocking out the sun, etc
  6. Find a 3line R
  7. Find a 3line C
  8. Find a 4line C
  9. Deal Hemsky for immediate help (even if its a checker).
  10. Deal Horcoff or slot him into the 3line job for which he is actually ideal.
  11. Decide on Lander/Belanger or other for 13F (and 14F if they go with 7D).
  12. Better blue depth (MacT has done this with Belov, plus Klefbom/Fedun/Marincin)
  13. AHL #1/NHL #3 goalie
  14. Sign Paul Ranger

So far this season, MacTavish hasn’t done a lot to address the NHL team’s roster

1. Endorsed Oscar Klefbom as a legit (but not certain) top 6D option in the fall
  2. Signed Anton Belov as an NHL option
  3. Allowed Hartikainen to bolt for Russia
  4. Signed C Mark Arcobello to a 2-way deal
  5. Added a coach (Eakins) and a new assistant (Acton)
  6. Excited the masses

There are rumblings here and there this morning about what might be happening. Nothing major, mind you, nothing as strong as the Schneider trade talk or Coburn discussions–we know those happened–but some pretty clear indications that things are progressing.

rimer

I had Clarkson #2 on my list of 15 possible free agent signings posted yesterday, but didn’t think the Oilers would get him (still don’t believe they will). The Oilers have to be careful in free agency because they could blow a lot of money on one player and that’s not terribly wise. This isn’t a team about to win Stanley if they can find just one more piece to the puzzle–they have a bunch of work to do. Still, interesting to see MacT jump into the deep end and he clearly identified the priorities (Clarkson is the top LW option with size and skill) for a major need this summer. Combined with the pursuit of Coburn and Schneider, it appears we have our ‘top priorities’ list in hand.

panach

I wonder if the Oilers will be part of that circus? It could happen, the Flyers may be looking for some cap relief a few hours into free agency and perhaps Coburn will be an option at a lesser asset price because of it.

FETCHING

aagif

It always takes a little time to suss through a draft, and in doing so this year I’ve stumbled upon some cool things about Jackson Houcke. Kirk Luedeke from Redline was on the show yesterday and mentioned RR (notorious hard markers) had Houck at #40–mid second round saying “both our WHL scouts have fallen in love with his take-no-prisoners style and evolving offensive game.”

• Redline cout Mark Staudinger: “Establishes himself down low and out front with a great understanding of how to separate players off the puck. Accurate heads up passer can find teammates off the cycle. Playing in a better scenario any other year he should be a Top 60 pick, yet could easily be available for the Bruins second pick in the third (round).”

THE LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

stanwyck

This should be a wild ride, with free agency a day away and trades/signings  happening at a rapid clip. I’m not certain how much we’ll be talking to guests and how much we’ll be reading the news in the next couple of days (lots of breaking hockey news) but it should be fun. Scheduled to appear:

Text to 10-1260 or @Lowetide_ on twitter, and you can dump questions here too. Hope you can tune in!! Maybe the lead story will be the Oilers claiminng Gilbert Gilbert.

236 Responses to "TAYLOR HALL: HEY, YOU’RE AN ALL-STAR!!"

Newer Comments »
  1. Chris Hext---formerly EasyOil--- says:

What are the odds LT that the NHL/PWHA alter the All-Star Teams to allow Hall to slide in, i.e. disqualify any Ovechkin at LW votes? I think it makes total sense to do it: I can’t imagine anyone complaining about such a decision, and it would wipe away (well, not completely) an embarrassing incident from anyone in future years looking back on all-star teams.

Love the work Tyler is doing to make sure the writers are kept accountable. I know some dismiss it as a witch-hunt, but I don’t see it as that at all. It’s about time someone took on that loud minority of professional writers who make the rest look like bumbling idiots.

2. Ben says:

If it’s me, I’m offering Hall + for Ovechkin, who could easily fill two spots on our top line.

3. DBO says:

LT : do you think would want to come back? I know if we claim him there is no choice, but wonder if he is pissed we dealt him. He is an upgrade on Potter. And paired with Schultz SR they would make a solid, reliable 2nd pairing.

DBO: I don’t think there’s a chance in hell he comes back.

5. Ducey says:

What is happening with Belanger?

Ducey:
    What is happening with Belanger?

The only thing I can think of is that he’s going to be included in a deal, or stay as the 13F.

7. CM says:

LT, Any thoughts on the possible reason Gagner isn’t signed is because if he elects to go to arbitration it opens up a second buy out period for the oilers? It is my understanding that this buyout window is still there even if the play signs before the hearing.

Perhaps they are playing a game to give themselves a few more options in mid July.

CM:

Dangerous road to go down. Get him signed.

9. major says:

Anyone have an idea why we’ve heard nothing about an RNH extension? Gotta think with the off year a 5.5 x 7 year might get it done. If RNH were locked up at 5.5 it makes it very difficult for Ganger to ask for more than 4.75. Thoughts?

10. Undisclosed_Personal_Reasons says:

Scuderi could be a nice FA signing. He played really well with Doughty during their cup run. I wonder if him and Schultz, J could have similar chemistry. He also logs a lot of pk time.

11. Fatboy80 says:

If I understand correctly, there is a 50K award for being named to the all-star lineup. Does this mean Ovi gets 100K?

12. Jesse says:

Lowetide, I was wondering if you could shed some light on this — there is no “Download” button on your July 2nd Hour 1 podcast on the team 1260 website. It looks like a fantastic lineup. Do you know if this has been mentioned yet?
    Also, will your podcast ever be available on iTunes? It’s so much more convenient to download off of there.
    Thanks, as always, for putting on a great show!

Jesse:
    Thanks, as always, for putting on a great show!

14. DBO says:

Belanger has to go doesn’t he? Dressing room cancer.

I think the “good character guy ” tag will be attached to every player we pick up. Need those pieces around the skill. And any dressing room issues in other places makes a guy not worth it regardless of skill set.

15. Racki says:

Is the post being facetious? Cause I thought Hall lost out on the 2nd team all star to Ovechkin. Did the NHL nix that nod since he won 1st team RW?

Racki:

17. oilabroad says:

I am a bit confused on this, did Hall get this or are they still giving it to Ovie??

18. Rondo says:

Derek Zona has an interesting article regarding Darnell Nurse

“Expect More Offense From Darnell Nurse”

19. Racki says:

Lowetide: No, I’m choosing to ignore the error. Hall earned to honor, and I’m going to celebrate it!

Ahh, gotcha. I have to admit, I was impressed that Hall was named as the 3rd top LWer anyways. That’s a pretty big achievement, in my opinion.

20. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

The masked illiterates and the HWPA/NHL hacks without the sense to disqualify the nomination don’t change the facts on the field. Hall was 2nd in voting amongst this year’s LW. On base for sure.

21. Smarmy says:

I like the work Tyler is doing calling out supposed Professional Hockey Writers. I know fish wraps are dying but these writers are supposed to be promoting and growing the game and most of them don’t watch it.

Baseball has a similar issue with it’s hall of fame voters. Many of the best players of the 90s and early 2000s are being completely ignored because the taint of steroids. They’ve condemned players who have admitted to use such as McGwire, Sosa and Palmeiro. They’ve condemned players who likely took steroids such as Clemens and Bonds. They’ve condemned players whose only crime was playing in the era but had no failed tests or accusations such as Piazza, Bagwell (both that have little more then rumours) and Biggio (WTF?) They let deserving players fall off on their first ballot (Kenny Lofton)

Not only that they got pedantic and the old guard has really taken hold of Jack Morris whose a terrible candidate by every metric you want to use.

Until Greg Maddux is inducted next year the baseball writer association is saying the players that I watched don’t matter and they don’t seem to understand why that is a bad thing.

22. bookje says:

Ducey:
    What is happening with Belanger?

Dallas will Fix Him!

23. wheatnoil says:

While I believe Mactavish will inquire on big names, I think he'll be aggressive with secondary, depth type guys early on.— Ryan Rishaug (@TSNRyanRishaug) July 4, 2013

If he’s hearing this from MacT, that’s a positive.

24. bookje says:

DBO:
    Belanger has to go doesn’t he? Dressing room cancer.

Good Character Guy was a hallmark of every trade or signing that Tambellini made (in terms of what Tambellini and others announced at the time). “Fisteric is a guy with a lot of character…etc” Then MacT comes along and notes that the players in the room don’t know what it takes to really be competitive and calls the dressing room a circus or something like that.

I for one think that its time they got rid of the Ping Pong table as that is key to the success of the Oilers.

Also, it wouldn’t hurt if MacT brought in some NHL level players.

25. bookje says:

oilabroad:

I was confused by it as well, but now I understand, LT is doing the same thing to the hockey writers that I sometimes do with my wife – its called selective listening.

26. wheatnoil says:

bookje:

Also, it wouldn’t hurt if MacT brought in some NHL level players.

Ridiculous!

27. bookje says:

DBO: I don’t think there’s a chance in hell he comes back.

Gilbert? I think he would come back if the Oilers wanted him. He would have the chance to be a #1/2 dman here where on most teams he would be down the depth chart. He also might be favourable with regards to coming back to a city/team where he had some success (having learned that the grass is not always greener elsewhere – though the actual grass is probably greener in Minnesota generally). He did well under MacT and that might be a factor.

28. Jesse says:

Lowetide: I’ve asked about the podcast but haven’t gotten word back from tech folks. As for July 2nd hour 1 I’ll ask Connor.

Thank you sir!

29. Gret99zky says:

1. Massive overpay for a 3-4 defender plugged into a 1-2 role.
    2. Sign Sam Gagner to a multi-year deal that is well above what he would have taken before the draft.
    3. Get Paajarvi signed for more than he would have agreed to before the draft.
    4. Sign Khabby to a one year swan song deal.
    5. Overpay for a 2line L who will try to keep up with Gagner-Yakupov.
    6. #83 a 3line R
    7. #10 as a 3line C (perhaps 1st or 2nd line minutes until the Nuge returns)
    8. Belanger/Lander as 4line C
    9. Apologize to Hemsky and tell him to get ready for the TD.
    10. Apologize to Horcoff and tell him there were no willing partners out there.
    11. See 8 above.
    12. Wait until UFAs sign with other teams before adding 3rd pairing guys for blue depth.
    13. AHL #1/NHL #3 goalie
    14. Beg Paul Ranger to sign. Offer extra $ and term.

I sincerely hope MacT’s list doesn’t turn out like this.

Will we see the return of Whitney, Fistric, or Smithson?

30. Jesse says:

I would personally love it if Gilbert came back — however; Stauffer *emphatically* stated that he thought the Oilers would pass on him yesterday on OilersNow, so that’s at least something to consider.

31. Mad Professor says:

bookje: Good Character Guy was a hallmark of every trade or signing that Tambellini made (in terms of what Tambellini and others announced at the time).“Fisteric is a guy with a lot of character…etc”Then MacT comes along and notes that the players in the room don’t know what it takes to really be competitive and calls the dressing room a circus or something like that.

Also, it wouldn’t hurt if MacT brought in some NHL level players.

Character=willingness to get rid of sideburns

32. bookje says:

Mad Professor: Character=willingness to get rid of sideburns

I think this song should become the theme song of all Oilers who are on MacT’s Sideburns list.

There was some discussion on how much Dmen affect on ice save percentage (ONSV%)

Eric Thulsty has a post up that makes it crystal clear:

The short answer is if any Dman affects it, its too small to be measured.

34. russ99 says:

I think all the people that hated the Schultz – Gilbert trade are coming out of the woodwork, as if reacquainting him would somehow make their stance look better.

But we’re not looking at Tom Gilbert the hockey player.

Let’s face it, there’s not much difference between Gilbert and Cam Barker in the defensive zone, and nobody’s clamoring for Barker to come back,

I know the options in UFA are limited, but lets not take a big step backwards by getting Gilbert, much less expecting him to fill a top pairing role, which its obvious based on his time in both Edmonton and Minnesota that he can’t do.

russ99,

Please back up this statement with some data or proof.

36. Ribs says:

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 9m
    Action on Ray Emery. Philly, Isles and Oilers believed to be chasing. Hawks also in discussions to re-sign Emery. Good to have options.#TSN

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 35m
    Unlikely Paul Ranger decides to return to the NHL before tomorrow, but he hasn’t rule out returning. So many teams will be interested…

37. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ahh… Double Indemnity! What a flic!

For Noir lovers it has to take a seat of honor. Getting all-american Dad Fred MacMurray to play a sleaze, putting a seedy wig on the sultry Stanwyck, getting Edward G. to take a character role and second billing, ripping through the Hays Code with every line… classic.

Everything Wilder touched was pure gold through 1961′s “One, Two, Three.” The drop off after that is… precipitous.

———-

LT: “Redline cout Mark Staudinger”

this is the kind of typo that is really great. “Cout” sounds hilarious and maybe a bit biting. Very close to “cunt,” a word always tied to this film in my mind:

38. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I think we need to start demanding reporters, even very, very good ones stand up and be accountable for their “analysis.” Just because you are in a high position in the sports media in light of your reporting skills or access to sources doesn’t mean your analyses are plated in gold.

I’m tired of reading crap like this:

Eric Nystrom would be a good add for Oil. Can skate, hits, doesn’t turn over puck. 16g 2 yrs ago. Hard 2 play against, 7 scraps in 48gp.

39. Ribs says:

russ99: What we need is a Jason Smith type defenseman, a character guy who can shutdown opponents and can really carry one of Schultz or Klefbom, not another defensive liability on a team full of them.

Not that I agree with this or anything, but I’m open to it. Who would be your ideal targets to fill this role? Douglas Murray? Kent Huskins? Are there any younger guys who fit the mould?

40. Clay says:

Gret99zky:
    1. Massive overpay for a 3-4 defender plugged into a 1-2 role.
    3. Get Paajarvi signed for more than he would have agreed to before the draft.
    4. Sign Khabby to a one year swan song deal.
    5. Overpay for a 2line L who will try to keep up with Gagner-Yakupov.
    6. #83 a 3line R
    7. #10 as a 3line C (perhaps 1st or 2nd line minutes until the Nuge returns)
    8. Belanger/Lander as 4line C
    9. Apologize to Hemsky and tell him to get ready for the TD.
    10. Apologize to Horcoff and tell him there were no willing partners out there.
    11. See 8 above.
    13. AHL #1/NHL #3 goalie
    14. Beg Paul Ranger to sign.Offer extra $ and term.

I sincerely hope MacT’s list doesn’t turn out like this.

Will we see the return of Whitney, Fistric, or Smithson?

Being an Oiler fan means that I tend to believe that A LOT of this will happen in the next week.

41. wheatnoil says:

russ99:

When you see Gilbert on the ice in the defensive end, you see Cam Barker. When I see Gilbert on the ice in the defensive end, I see someone who doesn’t deliver thunderous bodychecks, but uses his size and mobility to effectively break cycles and uses his vision and puck skills to mobilize the counter-attack and break-out. Gilbert, to my eye, defines what a solid top 4 two-way defenseman can be. I’ve watched a lot of hockey in my time. I imagine you have as well. I’ve played hockey (though admittedly not at a high level). It’s quite likely you have as well. So how can two hockey fans see such incredibly disparate things in the same player?

When it comes to defensemen, it seems as if there’s a group of hockey fans that, in my opinion, undervalue positioning, mobility, and passing at the expense of hard body checks and “gritty” play. I would imagine that this same group of hockey fans would counter that they do value positioning and mobility, but that I, and others like me, undervalue the “Jason Smith” types. I think the reality is that both groups value all skills, but place emphasis on some over others.

I don’t believe Gilbert is a defensive liability. I think that in the 2010/11, and 2011/12 he was excellent at moving the puck in the right direction, pushing the flow of play out of the defensive zone and into the offensive zone, which is something I value highly in a hockey player because I value a puck possession type game. I also believe that his “grittiness” is under-rated and that he does a great defensive job, despite not being the “Jason Smith” type. I believe the Oilers have searched for the “Jason Smith” type and ended up with Teubert, Peckham, Sutton, Fistric, etc. who have variable levels of success and play an important role on the team, but I don’t believe are AS valuable as a player who can play both the offensive and defensive sides of the game. Skill + size > skill alone > size alone is my bias.

I don’t know what happened to Gilbert in 2013 with Minnesota. However, it is disingenuous to say that Gilbert went to a better team and therefore revealed himself as a terrible defender. Gilbert played on the 2010 – 12 Oilers (i.e. a terrible team) and played WELL, not “well relative to the other crappy defenders” but truly well. He pushed the puck in a positive direction consistently. When he went to Minnesota, he finished out the year playing >25 min/night. Something happened in this short 48 game season, and I don’t know what it was. He ended up playing 2nd to 3rd pairing minutes and was healthy scratched a couple times.

I admit, that implies that there is a risk to bringing him back since his game might be deteriorating. This is why I am somewhat concerned about his 4 Million cap hit. However, if he could be had for cheaper, this is precisely the defender the Oilers SHOULD get. A two-way defender who has a history of excellent two-way play, coming off an off-year where he had his share of bad luck (note that PDO and on-ice save percentage are rarely indicators of a player’s ability and are quite heavily impacted by variance) and thus may had for cheaper than his true worth. I admit, I may be wrong, but I believe this is good bet to make.

42. Gret99zky says:

Belanger finally on waivers. Buyout coming.

43. rickithebear says:

Player x’s GF% results since 2008 with the players listed.
    he played 2485 min

he was slightly above or worse on 7/18
    4 of them oilers
    A 6.2 GF% player 70.8 % of the time
    42.2% player the other 29.2% of the time

our bottom 6.

44. wordbird says:

Mikhail Grabovski on unconditional waivers.

45. Captain Happy says:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 15s

“@TSNRyanRishaug: Mikhael Grabovski on unconditional waivers”/Buyout coming.

46. Captain Happy says:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 2m

Hal Gill (NSH), Johan Hedberg (NJ) and Greg Zanon (COL) also on unconditional waivers, presumably for buyout purposes.

47. Captain Happy says:

CapGeek ‏@capgeek 3m

The #MapleLeafs cap payroll is now 29th among 30 #NHL teams at around $40M, just ahead of the #NYIsles. http://www.capgeek.com/mapleleafs

CapGeek ‏@capgeek 3m

In other words, the #Leafs have around $24.5M to spend on 11 roster openings. http://www.capgeek.com/mapleleafs

48. Gret99zky says:

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 3m
    With the Grabo buyout, Leafs can load on up David Clarkson perhaps, possibly re-sign Tyler Bozak, lots of options for them.

49. Ribs says:

…in different other words, have fun in Toronto, David Clarkson?

50. goldenchild says:

Grabovski @ around 3.5 would be a perfect fit for the Oilers. I would go up to 4. A tough min C who creates offence and is in the right age group. Great fit for Oilers need at center

51. RMGS says:

Forget Clarkson. Grabovski will be a value 2C/3C signing. Get er done!

52. striatic says:

the thing that pisses me off about the snub is less that it is unfair to Hall and more that it puts a dent in the Oilers’ ability to attract free agents.

because one, having Hall as an all star is a kind of bullet point “plus” to attract free agents.

and two, the fact that the PHWA so visibly snubbed him sends the signal to free agents that if you come to Edmonton the press will undervalue your accomplishments and this will in turn lead to lower future value in the FA market, which means going to Edmonton is career suicide.

53. rickithebear says:

wheatnoil: Gilbert causes a fascinating divide in the Oilers fan-base and is probably one of the major reasons why I find analytics so useful and interesting.

Nice Prose!
    Now the reason!
    3.00 EVGA does not allow you to make the playoffs.

54. G Money says:

wheatnoil:

This is as good a summary of Gilbert (and the associated risk/reward in bringing him back) as I’ve seen so far. Well done.

Your point about fans that undervalue defensive positioning and overvalue grit – unfortunately, I do believe you are describing the majority of Oiler fans. If you did a poll of fans, I bet more of them would want – even at the same price point – to have Fistric over Gilbert, despite mountains of evidence that any team would be better off with Gilbert rather than Fistric at any position in the D rotation.

55. striatic says:

RMGS:
    Forget Clarkson.Grabovski will be a value 2C/3C signing.Get er done!

hell yes.

this is a huge opportunity for the Oilers to fix a big hole.

Grabovski is a clear upgrade on Horcoff and maybe even Gagner.

56. wheatnoil says:

Grabovski would be a GREAT pick-up for the Oilers. May be even better than Gagner for the 2nd line centre role.
    Poor year this year in regards to points, but had 51 and 58 points the years before. More interesting is the context in which he plays.

This year he got destroyed in possession numbers (-12.84), though all of Toronto got destroyed in possession. His CorsiRel of 1.0 is 8/12, so not great. BUT, he did it will facing the second toughest competition and VERY tough zone starts (36.7%, 3rd toughest on the team).

In context, last year he also faced tough competition (3rd toughest, though the competition was SLIGHTLY more evenly spaced last year) and had much easier zone starts (4th easiest at 53%) and he had by far the best on-ice corsi (8.94, 2nd place was MacArthur at 3.74). That year he also scored 51 points in 74 games.

He would make an excellent tough minutes 3rd line centre (depending on $$) but would also make a solid 2nd line centre. His face-off percentage has been hovering around 50% for the last 3 years. Not huge unfortunately at only 5’11″, 183 lbs. He’s a player though.

57. oilersfan says:

wheatnoil

During the lockout Gilbert and Brodziak golfed 72 holes in the rain. They both ended up getting pneumonia. It pushed back their ability to workout and came into the season less than 100%. for anybody who has ever had pneumonia, it can take months to get over.

If Mact is paying attention to these details he will re-sign Gilbert and try to get Brodziak back. Maybe they will take Olivier Roy for him??

58. striatic says:

rickithebear,

if you highlight the selection of text you are referring to before clicking “quote”, you end up quoting a much more manageable amount of text.

59. bookje says:

striatic:
    rickithebear,

Because scrolling is hard…

60. G Money says:

Gret99zky:
    Belanger finally on waivers.Buyout coming.

FINALLY.

This is one of the cadre of bums (along with Petrell and Whitney) that absolutely have to go.

I was getting seriously worried that his still being around meant that MacT is off whale hunting and won’t actually address the serious shortcomings on the 3/4 lines, which have been bleeding shots, chances, and goals for two seasons now.

61. raventalon40 says:

I’m a huge Grabovski fan. Not a fan of his Burrows-esque biting techniques, but otherwise, I love agitators of his ilk.

62. slopitch says:

I like Grabo and agree this is a big opportunity. Him at 3.5 would be great

63. RMGS says:

raventalon40:

Not sure he’s an “agitator,” but he has scored .59PPG in his career, can hold his own against the toughs, and is a solid two-way centre.

Plus, given that MacT is persuaded by “signs,” the fact that Grabovski played for Neftekhimik in Nizhnekamsk (Yak 1 and 2′s home town where everyone’s an Oilers fan, apparently) means signing him is ordained.

64. Henry says:

slopitch:
    I like Grabo and agree this is a big opportunity.Him at 3.5 would be great

Grabovski with MPS and Hemsky would be a ridiculously fast 3rd line.

65. bookje says:

Gret99zky:
    Belanger finally on waivers.Buyout coming.

ooooh, BOLD

66. Mr DeBakey says:

G Money: Your point about fans that undervalue defensive positioning and overvalue grit – unfortunately, I do believe you are describing the majority of Oiler fans.

And 99% of the media.

goldenchild:
    Grabovski @ around 3.5 would be a perfect fit for the Oilers. I would go up to 4.A tough min C who creates offence and is in the right age group.Great fit for Oilers need at center

Grabbo at $3.5 and Gordon would make a fine 3/4 C combo.

Would like to see Gilbert at 2/3 RD for $2.5 as well.

Push J.Shultz down to 3RD and give him the Yandle treatment; 3rd pairing 5v5 and 1st PP

68. raventalon40 says:

bookje: ooooh, BOLD

69. Traktor says:

If MacT doesn’t claim Grabovski I’m going to be pissed. He is a legit 2nd line C. Averaged 26 goals the two season prior to last and he goes to all the dirty areas. Great speed speed and does not shy away from contact at all.

Edmonton could claim him, flip Gagner for a D…. basically lose nothing a center and add a legit asset for free.. whatever Gags would return.

70. RMGS says:

Henry: Grabovski with MPS and Hemsky would be a ridiculously fast 3rd line.

This would be a great line, indeed. It makes so much sense that I can’t see it happening – because Oilers?

71. raventalon40 says:

Henry: Calgary or Dallas will probably claim him from waivers though that is a lot of money and term on his contract.

Grabovski with MPS and Hemsky would be a ridiculously fast 3rd line.

Yeah. He will be 37 when that contract expires though. But if Katz doesn’t mind we can buy him out at some later date when inflation has made that 3.5 number look smaller…

72. TheOtherJohn says:

Woodguy: Grabbo at $3.5 and Gordon would make a fine 3/4 C combo.

Would like to see Gilbert at 2/3 RD for $2.5 as well.

Agree completely with all of the above and the Yandle treatment comment. Schultz was incapable of top 4 minutes last year. Tippett’s way of dealing with that was to give Yandle bottom pairing opponents and tons of PP. Expect Schultz will be capable of more responsible minutes later in career just not now

73. LMHF#1 says:

Grabovski
    Gordon
    MacArthur
    Gilbert
    Ranger
    Emery

Do it.

74. G Money says:

Woodguy: Grabbo at $3.5 and Gordon would make a fine 3/4 C combo.

Would like to see Gilbert at 2/3 RD for $2.5 as well.

This would indeed be a very fine set of adds, and given that all are available as UFA and might come a little on the cheap side, cost nothing but money.

That would free up the time and assets to go after a big 2C or 2L as the remaining major gap to fill this year (I do not believe MacT can be BOLD enough to fill all gaps this year).

My one caveat on Schultz Jr – I wouldn’t write him off as a legit 2nd pairing guy for next year quite yet.

We all have images of the defensively horrible Schultz from the latter half of the season, but its worthwhile to remember that the guy was a savant offensively and competent defensively the first half of the season. Then he fell off a cliff, right around the time it was theorized he might hit the “First Year out of College” wall. With a full season of pro hockey (AHL+NHL) behind him and a summer of pro-level conditioning, he may surprise next year. If we get the first half Schultz for the full year, that would be an enormous boost to the D.

75. bookje says:

raventalon40: Well I don’t understand criticizing the lack of “bold” moves thus far by focusing criticism on the GM making the obvious moves. Would you rather he make try to bold moves and not buy out Belanger?

Not really, its a fine move and I actually expect to see some moves made over the next few days. MacT was prudent through the draft I thought, and I appreciate him taking the cautious approach and not jumping at everything. These moves (buying out Belanger and not qualifying a few guys) give him contract room which is a good thing.

My sarcastic ‘bold’ comment is more of a response to MacT being a bit too eager with his self-prediction of boldness followed up by his comments that “Making trades is hard”.

For now, I am fine with what MacT is doing and I am far more concerned about how the team looks at the start of the season than I am with moves at this point. However if FAgency comes and goes and nothing happens, I might just use the phrase ‘boldly dithering’.

76. bookje says:

Woodguy: Grabbo at $3.5 and Gordon would make a fine 3/4 C combo.

Would like to see Gilbert at 2/3 RD for $2.5 as well.

I like all of this, but I am thinking that the price for Grabovski will be higher than this. It does further the problem of being smallish at centre though.

77. Ducey says:

Traktor:
    IfMacT doesn’t claim Grabovski I’m going to be pissed. He is a legit 2nd line C. Averaged 26 goals the two season prior to last and he goes to all the dirty areas. Great speed speed and does not shy away from contact at all.

Claiming him on waivers would not be a great move. He had 16 pts last year (Gagner had 38) and has a $5.5 million cap hit until 2016-17 (Gagner may come cheaper than that). Grabs might be a good player but that is likely to be a boat anchor of a contract.

If you let him go to UFA he might go elsewhere but you also might be able to get him for quite a bit less. There are other options out there too.

78. russ99 says:

wheatnoil,

Body checks have nothing to do with it. You can be the toughest checker in the league and still not be able to do the things that average level defensemen can do as we saw with Fistric.

My opinions in Gilbert have to do with watching almost every game he played with the Oilers. He can’t defend skilled players one-on-one despite good positioning, he coughs up the puck frequently, he makes bad exit passes out of the defensive zone that leads to turnovers, and is out worked, or physically loses battle on the boards. Many times he was the last Oiler player to touch the puck before the opponent scored.

The thought was that he’d do better in Minnesota on a better team with a better defensive corps, better defensive forwards and two good goalies, but he finish 5th from the bottom in GAA when on the ice last season.

Fantastic player moving the puck in the neutral zone and good at the point in the O zone. Liability in the defensive zone, both here and in Minnesota.

If the Oilers are overspending to bring in a defenseman who can eat minutes in FA or via a deal, to move the team forward we need someone who can play better defensively that Gilbert.

79. Gret99zky says:

Isn’t it a safer bet to claim Grabbo off waivers to ensure he is on the roster rather than let him clear waivers and hope he signs for $3-4M?

We aren’t exactly the prettiest girl at the dance.

80. eidy says:

I hope they target Grabovski. He is exactly what the team needs. Sign MacArthur as well,

Nuge-hall-ebs
    Grabovski-Kulemin-Yakupov
    Gordon-MacArthur-MPS

nice looking top 9, maybe a bit small, but good players x9

Smid-Petry
    Gunnar-Schultz

cheaper than Clarkson and a will be able to keep everyone.

81. raventalon40 says:

Gret99zky:

We aren’t exactly the prettiest girl at the dance.

I agree with this. We can buy him out for his 35+ years!

82. Lois Lowe says:

russ99,

So you’ve seen him bad. That’s not really a very strong argument.

83. Jordan says:

LMHF#1:
    Grabovski
    Gordon
    MacArthur
    Gilbert
    Ranger
    Emery

Do it.

This has been vetted for:
    Smart bets
    Low Risk
    Potential to over-perform
    Increased competition at all positions

Approved. Please proceed.

Gret99zky:

We aren’t exactly the prettiest girl at the dance.

Yes – if you are willing to eat some salary, this is a fair comment. If you want the guy and can get him for nothing – get him. Better to have him than lose him to someone else because their winters are shorter and warmer.

84. Traktor says:

Ducey: Claiming him on waivers would not be a great move.He had 16 pts last year (Gagner had 38) and has a $5.5 million cap hit until 2016-17 (Gagner may come cheaper than that).Grabs might be a good player but that is likely to be a boat anchor of a contract.

If you let him go to UFA he might go elsewhere but you also might be able to get him for quite a bit less.There are other options out there too.

Grabo career high in goals is 29. Gagner’s is 18.

If Gagner signs for 5M then Grabo only 500k more.

Pretty much the same cost, for a better player or slight downgrade depending on your opinion, and a free asset… probably that top D that we could use.

I bet Grabo gets at least 4M via free agency and will probably have 10-15 teams to choose from.

85. Traktor says:

Gret99zky:

We aren’t exactly the prettiest girl at the dance.

Pretty much. I doubt we land him if he gets bought out.., and we will end up with Boyd Gorden or someone else insignificant.. but hey.. we will have cap space to spend on the next magical free agent that will never sign with us.

86. jp says:

Gret99zky:

We aren’t exactly the prettiest girl at the dance.

All true, but Grabo on waivers costs 6M (5.5M cap hit) for 4 more years. A lot less attractive than Grabo at 3.5M. It still might be worth it if you see him as 2C, but that’s way too much for a 3C.

Slotting Grabo at 2C would add an asset for just $$ though and allow Gagner or Eberle (who’d be getting pretty similar money anyway) to be moved for a top pairing D. Might be a worthwhile move, unless you think he’ll clear waivers and you’d actually be able to sign him for less as a UFA.

87. pboy says:

As per TSN, the Flyers are just finishing a contract extension on Claude Giroux worth 64 million over 8 years. Wow! They must have a different Salary Cap to work with then the rest of the league. There has to be a way to pry a good player away from them.

88. denny33 says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Really like the idea of Eric Nystrom to fill a 4th line role…..size and good skating.

89. Ribs says:

Dreger tweets….

Huge trade in the works. Boston and Dallas close on a deal sending Tyler Seguin to Stars for Loui Eriksson. Other parts involved as well.

Woa.

90. Jordan says:

jp:

With the cap at 60M or whatever they decided it would sit at this year, sure.

However, next year it will be a lot higher. Getting him in at 5.5 this year will be like 5 next year, and 4.5 the year after.

Still an overpay, but… you get a good hockey player.

Objective 1 – Get good hockey players.

Also – Oilers 3C = fish in barrel.

91. denny33 says:

Gret99zky,

Thank God.

One year too late….

92. RMGS says:

Ribs:
    Dreger tweets….

Woa.

Has Chiarelli lost his mind?

93. Ribs says:

RMGS: Has Chiarelli lost his mind?

Well, depends on the “other parts” of the deal. Eriksson is a hell of a player.

94. Henry says:

Seguin must have done something to really piss Chiarelli off.

95. denny33 says:

oilersfan,

Playing behind Suter and Brodin – he still got buried in his own end.

Does not make contact, Does not generate offence.

To the proponents of Tom Gilbert – what does he bring to the table?

96. pboy says:

I’d rather have Eriksson than Seguin myself.

97. RMGS says:

Ribs: Well, depends on the “other parts” of the deal. Eriksson is a hell of a player.

No disrespect to Eriksson, who’s solid, but unless those “other parts” are significant (I’m thinking Nichushkin +), Boston loses this trade hands down. Seguin’s only 21!

Loui Ericsson is a hell of a player.

99. jp says:

Jordan: With the cap at 60M or whatever they decided it would sit at this year, sure.

However, next year it will be a lot higher.Getting him in at 5.5 this year will be like 5 next year, and 4.5 the year after.

Still an overpay, but… you get a good hockey player.

Objective 1 – Get good hockey players.

Also – Oilers 3C = fish in barrel.

The more I think about it the more I like it. It’s generally a good thing when you can add an asset to the team.

100. denny33 says:

Henry,

Agreed. There has to be more to the story….

Why deal Tyler Sequin?

Seguin for Ericsson is a win-win.

Seguin doesn’t fit in in Boston. And Ericsson will fill the hole left by Horton.

102. jp says:

raventalon40: I agree with this. We can buy him out for his 35+ years!

Grabo is actually only 29. He’ll have just turned 33 when his deal expires in 2017.

103. bookje says:

denny33:
    Henry,

Agreed. There has to be more to the story….

Why deal Tyler Sequin?

I think he may have sideburns

104. commonfan14 says:

bookje,

Wonder if winning the Cup as a rook was the worst thing that could have happened to him. May have gone to his head.

105. jp says:

eidy: I would prefer to keep Gagner, but if he was asking for >5, I would look to trade gagner for Kulemin and Gunnarson. Through in a prospect (not named nurse, klefbom, gernat, or marincin in that order) or pick to make it work. I wonder what Grabovski would cost. if he would go for the 3.5 range I would do 4-5 years

Would be funny if the Leafs bought out Grabo’s 5.5M cap hit, then traded Kulemin and Gunnarson to the Oil so they could pay Gagner 5.5M. Seems unlikely, but I guess there’s a chance it could benefit the Oilers.

106. wheatnoil says:

RMGS: No disrespect to Eriksson, who’s solid, but unless those “other parts” are significant (I’m thinking Nichushkin +), Boston loses this trade hands down.Seguin’s only 21!

True, Seguin has incredible potential. Don’t get me wrong, he’s an amazing player. Loui Eriksson didn’t have a great year this lock-out shortened season, but in the 3 years previous he’s had 71, 73, and 71 points. That puts in 19th, 18th, and 22nd in the NHL for points among forwards! That’s not just good, that’s flat-out elite! AND he’s only 27. AND his cap hit is only 4.25 Million signed for the next 3 years! Damn!

107. bookje says:

How come I haven’t heard that the Oilers are in on the Seguin talk? It seems to be the standard tagline these days.

108. rickithebear says:

07-08 to 11-12
    Macarthur-Grabo 1516 even min 60.0 GF%
    Grabovski 0.95 evg/60 2.30 evp/60
    Macartur 0.83 evg/60 2.30 evp/60

109. justDOit says:

bookje:
    How come I haven’t heard that the Oilers are in on the Seguin talk?It seems to be the standard tagline these days.

I think you just have to dig a little deeper – suggest E5 or APG.

Now to figure out how a great point producer on a good contract like Erikson is being shopped.

110. Young Oil says:

I’m not sure if this is a false assumption, but since Grabovski was bought out, does that mean Nonis found him untradeable? If this is true, that is not a good sign for being able to deal Horcoff.

111. Ducey says:

denny33:
    Henry,

Agreed. There has to be more to the story….

Why deal Tyler Sequin?

Maybe his hip? More likely his head after what the GM said about him recently.

I thought with the three shopping days until tomorrow there would be a lot of rumours. Pretty tame.

112. Young Oil says:

bookje:

113. RMGS says:

As per BM, 5-player deal between Boston and Dallas. Peverley ALSO rumoured…

114. Ducey says:

Young Oil:

Both have the same cap hit ($5.5M) , but Horc is being paid $4 M, Grabo $6M. Might make the difference for a team with poor revenues.

115. goldenchild says:

I dont know how people listen to Stauffer i cant make it more than 5 mins.

116. Gret99zky says:

Yup, the more I read about Grabbo the more I think MacT should claim him off waivers ASAP.

Don’t take a chance on competing against other teams in a UFA situation.

I read Seguin has hip issues. I’ll try to find the link. I’m betting it’s a medical concern for the Bruins and not his attitude or poor play.

117. Ducey says:

Young Oil: I think the better question is why aren’t the Oilers in on the Eriksson talk? If it is Seguin for Eriksson+, then maybe Eriksson for Gagner+ isn’t out of the realm of possibility!

Yes, it is. Seguin >> Gagner

118. Captain Happy says:

Gret99zky:

Don’t take a chance on competing against other teams in a UFA situation.

I read Seguin has hip issues.I’ll try to find the link.I’m betting it’s a medical concern for the Bruins and not his attitude or poor play.

Heard yesterday it was “off ice issues” and that Seguin needs to “grow up”.

119. Clay says:

Was listening to the talking heads on Sportsnet at lunch, MacLean claiming he’s “hearing” that the Toronto offer on the table to Clarkson is $5.2M x 7 years. God I hope the OIlers have opted out of those sweepstakes.

120. Captain Happy says:

Arctic Ice Hockey ‏@arcticicehockey 1h

Grabovski has scored more goals than Kopitar, Richards, Duchene, Datsyuk, Lecavalier, Berglund, Bergeron, Seguin, Eberle over last 3 yrs.

121. ashley says:

Oh boy. There is going to be some mashing of keyboards after that Seguin-Eriksson deal goes through. “Why didn’t we offer something for Seguin? Eriksson would have been perfect. Why didn’t we get both Seguin AND Eriksson in some kind of crazy five team trade? What’s wrong with MacT?”

On the PHI cap front: There are two things I have noticed since LT set up this blog many years ago that are often commented on with great concern/excitement, but never cause any problems. One is the 50 contract limit. The second is other team’s “cap problems”. Either we don’t understand how it works, have all the details, or there are some forgiving aspects of these rules that are being ignored, or all of the above.

Regarding MacT’s press discussions: I agree that he has said too much. I think he compromises his negotiating position when he volunteers as much as he does in the press. I don’t know if it is a reaction to Oilers fans hatred of Tambellini’s “dithering”, or what, but I doubt that there is any difference in the effort that Tambellini and MacT are making to improve this team.

One guy talks about all the things he is going to do and what he has been trying, and gets anointed “The Great Communicator”. The other keeps his mouth shut to avoid compromising his bargaining position, and is accused of dithering.

It takes two to tango. Talk is cheap. MacT on the learning curve.

122. goldenchild says:

Via ArcticIcehocky on twitter

“Grabovski has scored more goals than Kopitar, Richards, Duchene, Datsyuk, Lecavalier, Berglund, Bergeron, Seguin, Eberle over last 3 yrs”

Honestly a waiver claim isnt a bad idea you get a player at a position of need, I would rather pay him 5.5 than Clarkson who isnt a C, hasn’t provided anywhere near same level of offence. Then trade Sam to fill out some other pieces.
    If he does clears waivers to me he should def be the top target.

123. Amadeus says:

Captain Happy:
    Arctic Ice Hockey ‏@arcticicehockey 1h

That’s not true…

Grabovski – 2011-13 – 61 Goals

Eberle – 2011-13 – 68 Goals

124. Captain Happy says:

Pierre LeBrun ‏@RealESPNLeBrun 4m

Blockbuster: Boston trades Tyler Seguin and Chris Kelly to Dallas for Loui Eriksson, Vernon Fiddler and Cody Eakin.

125. Gret99zky says:

Captain Happy,

Growing up is easier to do than fixing a bum hip.

Seguin did come off a little flakey during the Oil Change featuring him and Hall being courted.

126. Amadeus says:

Captain Happy:
    Pierre LeBrun ‏@RealESPNLeBrun 4m

That’s a fake Account…

127. Ca$h-Money! says:

Seguin for Erikson is apparently a five player deal. Bruins blog stanleycupofchowder is suggesting the deal is Seguin & Peverly for Loui + + .

To everyone getting upset about “not being in on the deal”: there are 30 teams out there… lots of them could use Seguin or Loui. MacT can’t trade for everyone all the time, the only way to measure his performance will be in the aggregate, and after the fact. Failure to “be in on this one” isn’t a reflection of the fact that he’s a rookie GM. Detroit could use Loui, as could the Sharks, as could the Jets, Buffalo….. same goes for Seguin.

My prediction is that Chiarreli knows enough about Seguin’s hips to know he doesn’t want him long term. I’m wondering if the guy will be in the league by the time he’s 30… Ryan Whitney had all of the potential in the world at one point. Injuries, especially permanent degenerative ones, are both unpredictable and unpleasant.

128. Ribs says:

Just to maybe save some people from losing their minds… Eriksson is a right winger.

129. LMHF#1 says:

ashley:

It takes two to tango.Talk is cheap.MacT on the learning curve.

No such curve for Mr. Nill.

130. RMGS says:

LMHF#1: No such curve for Mr. Nill.

Hah!

131. Captain Happy says:

Amadeus: That’s a fake Account…

Oops

132. LMHF#1 says:

Ribs:

Spector’s claiming he’s a C. Did he vote for Ovechkin at LW?

133. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The possibility of getting Grabo for free is enough to give me a massive excitable.

This UFA market is basically amazing if you are looking for hot secondary pieces: Grabo, MacArthur, Gordon, Gilbert, Stalberg.

Bring em in!

134. wheatnoil says:

Ribs:

In addition to that, if the Oilers are not wanting to move Eberle, RNH, Yakupov, and/or Hall, they don’t have anybody in the line-up that matches up the quality of Eriksson and Seguin to offer in trade. Plus, I doubt Boston is interested in any of the Oilers players (aside from maybe Hall). If they are looking at their window of opportunity as “winning before Chara retires”, they need reliable top-end scoring. All the Oilers players are young and don’t have that level of reliability. As for Eriksson… the Oilers only centre of Seguin-marquee value is RNH… and there’s not a chance in hell that I trade RNH for Eriksson.

No way MacT could be in on this trade. Doesn’t make sense.

Traktor: Grabo career high in goals is 29. Gagner’s is 18.

If Gagner signs for 5M then Grabo only 500k more.

If Grabbo goes to free agency I bet he signs in DET

136. Ribs says:

LMHF#1: Spector’s claiming he’s a C. Did he vote for Ovechkin at LW?

lol Well, he says he didn’t….

Eriksson took 34 faceoffs this season and won an amazing 26.5% of them.

137. Captain Happy says:

Jim Matheson ‏@NHLbyMatty 3m

138. jp says:

LMHF#1: Spector’s claiming he’s a C. Did he vote for Ovechkin at LW?

34 FO in 48 GP last year. Even less in previous years. Spector… Would be funny if ignorant Edmonton media was partly responsible for Hall missing the all star team.

139. Ribs says:

jp,

He did tweet his (supposed) picks…

Mark Spector ‏@SportsnetSpec 3 Jul
    My All-Star votes: RW Martin St. Louis TBL, Patrick Kane CHI, Alex Ovechkin WSH.
    LW Chris Kunitz PIT, Andrew Ladd WPG, Taylor Hall EDM

140. LMHF#1 says:

Mostly just making a joke about the Ovechkin thing. Just surprising the way these mistakes are made so frequently.

141. FastOil says:

For those that have followed the stats blogs a lot of ideas about players have been shown to be wrong. Big hitters are often out of position and get hurt a lot and league leading shot blockers do so because they can’t get the puck. Traditionally these things were seen as virtues so fans not into stats wouldn’t know.

142. Bag of Pucks says:

Jim Nill figuring out the new GM gig faster than MacT?

Loui Erikkson > Hemsky ?

Like this trade for both clubs actually. Chiarelli is stocked down the middle with Krejci and Bergeron, and you can’t pay what the Bs would be paying Seguin to be an out of position 3W – particularly with Horton moving on. Does this put the Bruins in the mix to go after Clarkson now as their potential Horton replacement?

For Dallas, Seguin appears to like the nightlife a tad too much, but I would think the chance to play 1C next to Jamie Benn might be just what the doctor ordered to speed his development. Thought the kid had a decent playoff, just snakebit around the net. See some Bruin fans already calling him soft on the way out, but to be fair, you have to be willing to play with a punctured lung or without a head to win over those guys. Good thing Tyler got his ring early. Could be a while before he sees another one.

143. Mr DeBakey says:

Captain Happy: craig mactavish was on plane to sweet talk some UFA Wednesday. Clarkson? I think Matt Cooke would look good here, same with Andrew Ference.

Matt Cooke:
    Goals % = .49
    Fenwick % = .44
    Rel +/- per 60 = -1.23

144. RMGS says:

Seguin and Peverley (two RH centres) + AHLer for Eriksson and three middling prospects.

Jim Nill’s the man.

145. Ca$h-Money! says:

RMGS,

Morrow isn’t a middling prospect. But otherwise you are correct.

146. Captain Happy says:

Bag of Pucks:
    Jim Nill figuring out the new GM gig faster than MacT?

Loui Erikkson > Hemsky ?

Like this trade for both clubs actually. Chiarelli is stocked down the middle with Krejci and Bergeron, and you can’t pay what the Bs would be paying Seguin to be an out of position 3W –particularly with Horton moving on. Does this put the Bruins in the mix to go after Clarkson now as their potential Horton replacement?

Nill had a glaring weakness at C and plugged those holes with one trade.

Jamie Benn gets to move back to his natural wing position so the Stars will be running Seguin, Peverley, Eakin, Fiddler, Garbutt and Vincour down the middle.

Peverley is pretty under rated and was playing out of position in Boston. Won 56 percent of his faceoffs last season.

A top line of Seguin, Benn and Nichushkin should be fun to watch.

147. tcho says:

Great trade for Dallas. Wow.

148. Romulus Apotheosis says:

hilarious!

Since I won’t be on set for Free Agency Day, let me repeat from London what I say every year: most teams will deeply regret what they do.

149. Captain Happy says:

Jeff Angus ‏@anguscertified 8m

Potential Dallas top nine: Benn-Seguin-Nichushkin, Whitney-Peverley-Chiasson, Roussel-Eakin-Cole.

150. gogliano says:

Eriksson is a real nice player on a value contract.

I don’t think we can evaluate the deal until we see particulars and see what happens with Seguin. The noise about character might be window dressing to distract from the hip.

151. Bag of Pucks says:

What’s the policy on Oiler fans wearing other team’s jerseys (obviously not to the home games themselves)?

Liked Seguin since the Taylor/Tyler debate and quite like those new Stars unis.

Something I can wear out on occasion or does purchasing a Dallas jersey immediately consign me to the seventh ring of hell for failed Oiler fans?

152. Melman says:

Potential Edm top nine: Hall – RNH – Ebs, Yak – Grabo – Gagner, Paajarvi – Horc – Lander/XXX

bonus of 5 centres in your top 9

153. Captain Happy says:

Cask ‘N Flagon ‏@TheCasknFlagon 1h

The Boston nightclub scene will be a better place without #tylerseguin demanding entry. #TradeSeguin

154. TheOtherJohn says:

Amadeus: That’s not true…

Grabovski – 2011-13 – 61 Goals

Eberle – 2011-13 – 68 Goals

155. Ducey says:

Bag of Pucks:

Liked Seguin since the Taylor/Tyler debate and quite like those new Stars unis.

You are free to do as you wish. Of course we are free to question your intelligence and character. :)

156. Melman says:

what’s a better move picking Grabo off waivers, or signing (if you can) Fillpula for likely the same $5.5

157. Henry says:

Melman:

Melman,

If they pick Grabo off waivers is Nonis off the hook for the buyout?

158. Ducey says:

TheOtherJohn: Except those were considered 3 good years by Eberle and Grab had a HORRIBLE year this past season

Huh? Those were Eberle’s ONLY years!

159. TheOtherJohn says:

Wonder how much it would help prospects develop if Klefbom, Marincin, Musil, Lander, Pitlick etc all played at OKC for 60+ games this year

160. Captain Happy says:

Cask ‘N Flagon ‏@TheCasknFlagon 2m

To clarify: the tweet regarding the pro athlete was intended to be humorous. For the record the Cask has never denied him entry.

#BACKTRACKING

161. DBO says:

So with the cap space the Leafs just created, hopefully we are now going to be outbid for Clarkson. $6 millnot owrth it. Go get Grabovski and Macarthur to upgrade. Go get Gordon. Happy times.

162. oilswell says:

wordbird: Mikhail Grabovski on unconditional waivers.

One of the most interesting things about this? The announcement from nhl.com includes this paragraph at the end:

Grabovski was second among Maple Leafs forwards in Corsi relative to the quality of competition he faced, which is a strong indicator he was one of the team’s best players at possessing the puck at even strength. He also had the worst PDO among Toronto forwards, which measures shooting percentage and save percentage when he is on the ice — a low number can be an indicator of bad luck.

So I guess we’ll be seeing Corsi-rel and PDO on nhl.com/stats soon, yes?

163. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bag of Pucks:

Liked Seguin since the Taylor/Tyler debate and quite like those new Stars unis.

Dallas (spits)… you must be off your Gord.

Thank Gord, no true Oiler fan would wear a Stars jersey.

164. Romulus Apotheosis says:

DBO:

I can imagine a scenario in which Grabo and MacArthur go for 7M (combined) on 3 – 4 year contracts (each) on respective teams, which will look like crazy value compared to 6M x 5 or 6 years for Clarkson.

The thing about these buyouts is the UFA market has a small window of value if you stop chasing the big pieces.

165. FastOil says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Dallas (spits)… you must be off your Gord.

Thank Gord, no true Oiler fan would wear a Stars jersey.

You mean I shouldn’t wear my Hatcher jersey?

166. ashley says:

oilswell,

Interesting. The word is spreading far and wide, and probably in the hands of every team’s management in the league. The Oilers just catching on this year by the sounds of things.

It looks like us Lowetidians can’t claim to be the smartest people in the room anymore with all of our fancy stats.

167. FastOil says:

The Oilers need Grabo because he’s almost Russian. Another buddy for Yak & Co.

168. wheatnoil says:

FastOil:
    The Oilers need Grabo because he’s almost Russian. Another buddy for Yak & Co.

Need someone to replace Horcov

169. Bag of Pucks says:

Romulus Apotheosis

Thank Gord, no true Oiler fan would wear a Stars jersey.

I think this is probably true.

I think it’s also likely that the fact I’m even pondering it means 7 years of wandering in the desert has me thinking more as a ‘hockey’ fan than an ‘Oiler’ fan these days.

The Oilers have become that demanding wife that rarely gives it up while the beer cart girl at the golf course seems friendlier with every round.

170. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

The last thing a jaded Oilers fan would wear is the B side from the one tough call the Oilers got right. Try a Souray sweater.

171. Romulus Apotheosis says:

FastOil: You mean I shouldn’t wear my Hatcher jersey?

I mean you should burn your Hatcher jersey.

Bag of Pucks,

Well, you’re making my fallacy look awfully exposed that’s for sure. A hockey fan is going to have a lot to cheer for out of that Stars team.

172. jonrmcleod says:

Captain Happy: Oops

A rare admission of error by Captain Happy.

173. FastOil says:

wheatnoil: Need someone to replace Horcov

Horcoff is our Luongo

174. spoiler says:

I’ve been away from the computer for the last couple of days… Did anyone catch or fix my math fuckup from late Canada Day? The one on combining draft pick odds. I don’t have the time till tonight to go back and check. Let me know, if not, I will fix it when I can.

175. Derek says:

Bag of Pucks:

Liked Seguin since the Taylor/Tyler debate and quite like those new Stars unis.

DBO:

I adore the Toronto Maple Leafs. They make the playoffs last year for the first time in a decade with the second worst possession numbers in the league and look to be losing half (5 of 9) of their positive possession forwards the following offseason ( Komarov, Bozak, Grabovski, Macarthur, Frattin). This is assuming of course they allow the three UFA’s to walk which seems to be the case, no?

Their three best forwards against Boston in the post season by possession numbers were Macarthur (OZONE: 23.1, Corsi Rel: 29.8), Grabovski (OZONE: 28.8 Corsi Rel:19.3) and Kulemin (OZONE: 29.5, Corsi Rel: 13.2).

The good news is they have the second most cap space in the league to fill all those holes through free agency where value contracts are easily found. That and they found a starting goaltender with 58 NHL games and a career save percentage of .912.

176. wheatnoil says:

Derek: I adore the Toronto Maple Leafs.They make the playoffs last year for the first time in a decade with the second worst possession numbers in the league and look to be losing half (5 of 9) of their positive possession forwards the following offseason ( Komarov, Bozak, Grabovski, Macarthur, Frattin).This is assuming of course they allow the three UFA’s to walk which seems to be the case, no?

The good news is they have the second most cap space in the league to fill all those holes through free agency where value contracts are easily found.That and they found a starting goaltender with 58 NHL games and a career save percentage of .912.

Because Maple Leafs?

177. G Money says:

I like the Seguin-Eriksson trade for both teams, but wow is Dallas ever taking a huge risk for next year.

A few people are suggesting that a top line of Benn-Seguin-Nichuskin is somehow a good thing. Really.

Benn is a proven NHLer.

Seguin hasn’t proven he’s a top line centre yet, far from it. Seguin couldn’t displace Krejci or Bergeron as a centre in Boston. Worth bearing in mind that, despite those latter two being backstopped by Chara, they put up fewer points (and fewer PPG) than even one young Sam Gagner, and people aren’t sure about Gagner as a 2C. Yikes. Seguin may yet turn into a legit 1C, but it’s far far from a sure thing.

Nichuskin is a project at best. He has huge potential, and a number of significant acknowledged flaws in his game. Like all prospects, he may fail, and if he succeeds, it will take a few years. I would have been OK if the Oilers had taken him and put him on the second line (and taken the resulting rookie lumps for a year or two, as we did last year with Yak). Expecting Nichuskin to contribute in a meaningful way on the first line in his first year is laughable.

Since they are a division rival, what’s bad for Dallas is good for the Oilers though, so yay.

178. Bag of Pucks says:

rickithebear: Nice Prose!
    Now the reason!
    3.00 EVGA does not allow you to make the playoffs.

Rickithebear, what site did you pull this stat off?

179. Romulus Apotheosis says:

G Money: Benn-Seguin-Nichuskin

180. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Derek: I guess if you’ve only really been an Oiler fan for the last 7 or 8 years, sure.

Great read.

The leafs are doing some amazing things. And look to be saving us from ourselves the way Gillis did by asking too much.

MacT looks like he is chasing fool’s gold. I sure hope through planning or luck he can find the right pieces at the right price.

181. Derek says:

According to sources around the team, Seguin was out late in Toronto during the road trip to play the Leafs in the first round of the playoffs and the team had to hold a sit-down with the immature forward about his commitment to the team. Seguin showed up each day at the Air Canada Centre wearing the same clothes for three straight days and played badly in Games 3 and 4 of the first round against Toronto.

I am quite pleased with the Hall selection also…

The Bruins attempted to deal Seguin to the Calgary Flames last weekend, but ultimately Flames ownership squashed any deals for the six-year, $5.75 million contract for Seguin while they go through a full rebuild with inexpensive, youthful players.

Looks like scorched earth for Calgary.

182. justDOit says:

Derek:

Looks like scorched earth for Calgary.

They’re just trying to dry out the basement.

183. Romulus Apotheosis says:

may be out of the Emery sweeps

Pierre LeBrunVerified account
    ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
    Ray Emery very likely moving on from Chicago, looking for bigger role, chance at 1 or 1a spot. I’d put Philly as front-runner.

184. ashley says:

I thought only women noticed clothes. Noticing someone wearing the same clothes 3 days in a row would be an astute observation from even the most clever clothes-noticer.

I can think of a myriad of explanations for someone wearing the same clothes 3 days in a row, especially while travelling, and most of them have nothing to do with immaturity, partying, or lack of professionalism. Not to say those characterization don’t apply in the case of Seguin.

185. TheOtherJohn says:

Ash

I’d go 50/50 chance he did not

186. Dominoiler says:

bookje,

With blog posters that think they know more than they do..

187. denny33 says:

tcho,

Especially after all the talking and bluster from Mr. Nill….oh wait, that was …oh…

188. goldenchild says:

189. HugThePost says:

MTL signs Danny Briere.

The music keeps playing and the chairs keep getting filled, but here, it is still crickets.

Kind of sad how us fans are used to and to an extent have accepted being the kid not asked to dance.

190. G Money says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I’m going to give whomever the benefit of the doubt and suggest that is a future projection, i.e., 3 years down the line.

But rightly or wrongly, the statements I’m reading seem to be written suggesting that the B-S-N line will be a great thing next season … and it’s probably a safe bet that it won’t be.

191. Gret99zky says:

goldenchild:
    If Briere got 4, could certainly see Grabo get 5.You might as well just claim him.

I agree with this. Better to know what you have than to hope for something that’s not there.

192. striatic says:

goldenchild: If Briere got 4, could certainly see Grabo get 5. You might as well just claim him.

to be fair, there is the question of contract term.

but i still hope they outright claim him.

193. Gret99zky says:

Claiming Grabo might make re-signing Gags easier.

194. denny33 says:

Winnipeg signed Waiver wire pickup Grant Clitsome to a three year deal yesterday….

I pointed out how valuable Clitsome had been as a WAIVER wire pickup and sure enough a nice pay day for the kid. Again, not saying he is top 4 – but he can move and push the puck up for a 3rd pairing and he can fill into the top 4 when injuries crop up.

With Trouba, Redmond, Bogosian, Enstrom, Clitsome, Stuart and now Morrissey coming down the line -everyone here in Winnipeg thinks the stars are lining up for the Buff trade….

I have advocated ( Big Buff ) this in the past as a possibility for the Oilers……High risk / High reward player.

Echo what most are saying – like to pick up Grabo / Gordon for centre depth…I like Kyle Chipchura as a possible 4th line player as well….played well against the Oil.

195. striatic says:

Jonas Siegel Verified account
    ‏@jonasTSN1050

Just got off the phone with Grabovski: “Of course I feel [expletive] sad, I played [expletive] five years here.”

196. rickithebear says:

Bag of Pucks: Rickithebear, what site did you pull this stat off?

Site? Behind the net.

minutes times GAA sum of each level of comp 1st 2nd 3rd

Divided by total minutes for each comp.

gilbert is 3.00 GA facing lwr 1st
    2.78 facing mid seconds

Goal affect.
    16 minutes for 82 games is 1312 minutes.
    21.87 – 60 minute blocks
    facing first comp 3.00 GA which is .67 GA/60 above average (2.33)
    21.87 X .67 + 14.65 goals.
    that makes us -15 goals .

We had one of the ten best tough comp GA D pair in the game last year.
    Petry-Smid

We had the best GA easier(2nd/3rd) comp d pair in the league.
    Fistric-Potter

We missed the playoffs.

the three worst GA combination of dmen

#1
    Giordano; Wideman 1st/2nd Comp 18.40 min 3.81GA/60
    That would be -37 GD to league average
    #2
    the Schultz’s 3rd comp 16.15 min 3.36 GA/60
    that is -23 GD to average
    #3
    Couburn-Gervais 3rd comp 16.80 min 3.28
    that is -22 GD to average

Guess why we missed?

197. Ribs says:

ashley: On the other hand, if he didn’t change his socks and underwear, well then there is definitely a problem with this young man’s character.

Could be his lucky gaunch! Pro athletes can be a superstitious bunch.

198. "Steve Smith" says:

rickithebear,

For the uninitiated, I should warn that when people mention ONSV%/PDO to Ricki, as they generally do in response to these screeds, his response is to put his fingers in his ears and say “LALALALALALALALA!!”. Which he misspells.

199. Romulus Apotheosis says:

G Money: Indeed … if the projection is three years out, yes both Seguin and Nichuskin have lots of potential, and if they live up to that potential, that will be a terrific first line … big IF’s though, as with all prospects (esp. Nichuskin).

Hmm… to project that for next year is basically asking Benn to carry the load, that Seguin, who has never played C at the NHL level is suddenly a #1 C and that Nich is ready to lead the expeditionary forces…. it’s crazy.

200. OilClog says:

Grabs between Gags and Yaks would be awesome!

Reading Oilerville these last few days have been hilariously entertaining.. everytime a team makes a move.. We yell like we’re on southpark.. “They took our jobs!”

Newer Comments »