THE 3 LINE

The Edmonton Oilers are in a very strange place this morning–they have over $11M in cap space and are finishing up the summer’s business. They had a target (Clarkson) and apparently were willing to spend upwards of 6 large a year, but it didn’t take. It could be a very quiet July–Hemsky is on the trade block and they have a stated need for a complementary LW for the 2line–but those things could happen a week before camp if nothing shakes loose during the cabin weeks. I’m sure they’d also like to add some toughness and size to the top 6F, but I don’t know if we’ll see ‘eye-catching’ as much as functional at this point.

watson

3LINE

The 3line currently looks like this:

• Gordon-Joensuu-Paajarvi

There is potential here, the line has a “MacTavish” feel to it. Gordon is a fiesty shutdown center with terrific PK and checking skills; Paajarvi the speed demon and aggressive forechecker/backchecker and a guy who continues to develop as an offensive option; Joensuu, a big guy who protects the puck well, increases zone time and has some offensive acumen. This isn’t Marchant-Moreau-Grier, but there are some things to like about this trio.

MacT always liked players like Michael Peca and Radek Dvorak, and you can kind of see what he’s thinking with the two wingers on this line. Both have some draft pedigree and both were touted as being able to play farther up the batting order earlier in their careers. Both have a tremendous opportunity to work with a quality checking center to form a shutdown line for the new coach.

The odds of this trio staying together for the year are low. However, I do like the look of it from a distance. The elements are there, the chemistry awaits.

aaa

The Dustin Penner chatter took on a life of it’s own yesterday. We’ve talked about DP many times on this blog since he left (most recently here) and I absolutely believe what I wrote:

•  I know, and I know. However, if you’ve missed out on Clarkson and need someone to play with Gagner and be big and skilled, why not go with someone who has been successful with Gagner and can be big and skilled? I know.

A line of Gagner-Penner-Yakupov would be a helluva lot of fun (so would a 2line of Gagner-Penner-Hemsky by the way) but folks I can’t see it happening. This isn’t a “we had a lot of success together, and he still have some left” kind of conversation, it’s a “I could never reach him” type discussion.

If Craig MacTavish signs Dustin Penner this summer, he’s a smarter man than I think he is, and I think he’s pretty damn smart. I don’t think a guy like MacT–or most people, really–would trust the signing with the same experience and information.  Human nature being what it is, I expect Penner ends up with a one year deal elsewhere and that team will have a long post-season run in which their coach is completely flabbergasted about work ethic.

Dustin Penner represents tremendous value right now. I don’t think the Oilers are shopping in his aisle.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

bullock

Another busy show and lots to talk about at 10 this morning on Team 1260. Scheduled to appear:

You can leave comments at 10-1260 or on twitter @Lowetide_ or drop your thoughts into the comments section below. It’s going to be fun!

(Paajarvi photo by Rob Ferguson. All rights reserved).

113 Responses to "THE 3 LINE"

1. mumbai max says:

Well, Penner would fall into my Plan A/Plan B scenario of yesterday. Plan B on the 2L forward
    spot leaving all the money and trading chips to land the big Plan A 1D fish. If the 1D was impressive enough, I could live with Penner for a year for sure. Not much downside if he comes in at 1×2 or something like that.

2. Racki says:

I’m kind of 50/50 on Penner. For the most part, I think he’ll be in Eakins’ doghouse in no time. But I do remember Penner also improving lines when he was out there. Yah, he can be a real slug, and look catatonic, but I still have a tough time dismissing the good parts of his skill set (his hands and strength.. sadly the latter he doesn’t use enough). I think if he was playing near his top end (and not necessarily at it), he would really improve a line with Gagner and Yakupov on it.

However, my preference will still be moving Gagner to the wing and shopping for a big center (which might cost us Gagner plus). I think that would go a long ways.

But the advantage with Penner is you get a potential big scorer for what should be under $2M.. could be a good last resort. I didn’t mind him in his years in Edmonton, but his numbers in Los Angeles suggest he’d rather be eating than playing hockey. It’s risky, definitely. So if he comes here, it would need to be cheap and on a 1-year deal.

3. Ca$h-Money! says:

FACT: Dustin Penner is good for the local economy. I know the guy who owns the rights to IHOP in Alberta… he should be pushing this signing really hard.

When you look at what’s available with the remaining free agents… if not Penner, who? It comes down to needing to trade.

Is Buffalo and option? Hemsky seems like the guy to move (I like the guy, but he’s unfortunately redundant). Musil is the D prospect to move… his last name and the fact that he plays for a good junior team pumps up his value beyond what it probably should be.

Stafford (I know)
    Luke Adam for C depth?

I’m grasping here. That fills a hole (poorly) at 2LW and creates a hole at 3RW… but there are more free agency options at 3RW (1 year contract for an older player) or the NBF (new big Finn).

Cash: I think the trade route is likely now. Beginning with Vanek (!!!!!) through Kulemin and down the line to Frattin.

5. Ca$h-Money! says:

I love Vanek. He pretty much single handedly won me the presidents trophy in my hockey pool this year.

My problem with Vanek is that I don’t think we can sign him for less than 5 mil/per after this season. If we are bringing someone in with more than year 1 in mind, I think we need to look at options in the long term 3m range… that’s why MacArthur was such a good fit.

Also my son’s name is MacArthur… so there’s that.

Stafford is full of holes… but he’s big, and could be cheap, and is good enough to ride shotgun with two highly skilled guys in Gagner/Yak or RNH/Eberle (I prefer Gagner/Yak/Hall as a line, in theory).

Luke Adam had a good first year, so he’s intriguing… of course he was centering Pominville/Vanek.

I just want to feel like we have a complete roster. I can live without the 1D this year, as I think what we have is good enough to hit the playoff bubble as I’m a big believer in the formula of No Whitney + No Belanger = Playoffs…

Also Belov has to be mean. He got suspended for steroids… IN RUSSIA. We’ve all seen Rocky IV. The only explanation is he took too many steroids and he got suspended for not sharing. Also he kicked a guy in the face, so there’s that.

6. mumbai max says:

Don’t undertand Vanek. Seems short sighted to use valuable chips to trade for a guy with a HUGE and very short term contract. If it was sign and trade, perhaps. Of course it depends on what the chips required are. If they are B level prospects (Musil Gernat Rajala) or 3rd round or lower picks, then perhaps.

7. DBO says:

I think Kulemin may be the best low cost trade option. he fits our 2nd LW perfectly. Physical, bg, coming off bad year so he is a buy low trade. The kind good GM’s make happen. Leafs will have cap issues, so getting him for a prospect is all that would be needed.

And i still push the Ruutu for Schultz the elder. works for both teams, and Carolina does it because of the salary still tied to ruutu, and the amount they pay their forwards, leaving them not much room under the cap for D. we do it because he is a LW/RW/C with size and grit. And we have solid depth and still need a top 2 dman, so moving schultz frees up a dm spot without hurting our depth since MacT wants puck movers (which is why Klefbom probably plays here. unfortunately)

8. Clay says:

Does MPS speak Finnish? Because if he does, Boyd Gordon is going to want to kill someone by December…

9. Hall Awaits says:

No one thinks that Darcy still might have some vitriol towards the Oilers for offer sheeting Vanek?

Kulemin. He’s. my favourite to fill the Line 2 LW.

10. Ribs says:

Clay:
    Does MPS speak Finnish?Because if he does, Boyd Gordon is going to want to kill someone by December…

Or maybe he’ll want to change his name to Goordon to fit in better?

11. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“The 3line currently looks like this:
    Gordon-Joensuu-Paajarvi”

Depending on your mileage on “currently”… wouldn’t our “current” 3rd line go “Gordon-Magnus-Hemsky”?

———

“who not go with someone who has been successful with Gagner”

I like that you cited yourself and kept the typo, not sure why… I also like that the typo makes this phrase less of a tentative rhetorical question (“why not try the linguini?”) and more of a forceful imperative-laced question (“who wouldn’t try the linguini?!”)

——–

“It’s the curse of Dustin Penner and all big men since Frank Mahovlich: they just don’t look like they’re making much of an effort. It looks for all the world like the wind just blew the right way and they lucked out again. The numbers don’t care about quotes and visual and all those other things, and the numbers love him more than he loves pancakes.”

The premium placed on “character” by the new GM and Coach seem to rule out any of these kinds of smart moves. Other smart moves — when they converge with this character deal — are available, but not these ones… unless…

——-

so Watson is basically giving us the “go time” look… Adams is questioning our manhood… and Bullock is reminding us what ladies can look like a few years into the whole deal when the “sweats” make their permanent appearance.

12. Clay says:

Ribs: Or maybe he’ll want to change his name to Goordon to fit in better?

Maybe drop the “n” too. Booyyd Goorduu. Sign him up.

13. Racki says:

I’d call him Guurdunuu, with a shit load of umlauts in there

Böyd Güurduunü

(clearly i have no idea what an umlaut does other than look cool)

14. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Racki: (clearly i have no idea what an umlaut does other than look cool)

Neither did Mötley Crüe.

These are the most common uses of the diacritical mark:

15. razor says:

Clay,

Actually, Finns take Swedish in grade school, so either way Gordon’s SOL. I should know I married one.

16. yegCopywriter says:

Hey LT, Boston’s Kevin Paul Dupont (@GlobeKPD) is tweeting that he wouldn’t be surprised if Marchand was traded. He certainly doesn’t bring size, but he brings a weaselly mean streak and goal scoring. How would you feel about him as our second line LW for the next 4 years? What might it take to acquire him?

17. Kris11 says:

Boydininne Goordininena

18. russ99 says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    “The 3line currently looks like this:
    Gordon-Joensuu-Paajarvi”

Joensuu is probably our best wing option for the 3rd line, which states how much more MacT needs to upgrade the roster.

Paajarvi did well last season in more of a two-way role, but to shoulder the role full time is tough sledding. I’m not sure if he’s really up to be a primary shutdown winger at this point.

Gordon is the only player we have right now that I have confidence to handle that role.

19. razor says:

razor,

Also, Gordon’s name in Finnish is pronounced Boud Korden. Ouch.

20. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

Does anyone else get the feeling that third line is going to get the shit kicked out of them?

really? Gordon – Paajarvi – Joensuu……… two thirds of that line is AHL players!!

going against heavy’s! dead meat.

I’m not ok with Penner.

Make a bloody trade

21. Jesse says:

Wes Mantooth-11,

I will take your mother out for a nice seafood dinner, and NEVER call her again.

22. sumaclab says:

I like the idea of MP playing down in the lineup. He has not yet shown that he will consistently go to the net. Last year their was a progression in his play and that led to him gaining confidence. By years end he looked like he did in his first season. Yet that is not enough. He needs to take the next step. Time on the 3rd line should help MP to distill his game to a point where he is consistently is doing the things he needs to elevate his game. Playing with 2 other big men should find this trio on the cycle in the opponents zone chewing up valuable minutes. I like the bits I have heard about Jonesuu and if he lives up to billing should provide the Oilers with a little grit ,size and skill on the RW.

As far as 2cd line LW goes “He who should not be named” is not an option. Ever again.Period.

Vanek if he can be had for less than an arm and a leg. The cap hit is what it is. If you offer Petry and a pick and prospect?
    Klefbom should be in OKC but his attitude this past week in Development camp leads me to believe that come fall he’ll be lacing up the skates in Edmonton rather than OKC.

23. hags9k says:

I’ll be pumped if they bring Penner back! Can’t help but love the kid and he’s a good fit at 2LW. Maybe he enjoys a huge year if Yak goes Supernova.

Eakins: “Hey pancakes, you are a healthy scratch.”
    DP: “What’s this? You made healthy pancakes from scratch?!?! Where?!?!”
    Eakins: “Phhhhh. Uh ya there’s up in the press box.”
    DP: “Squee.”

OK this is the last time I go to the flapjack jokes I promise.

24. Romulus Apotheosis says:

russ99: Hemsky would be wasted on a vs. toughs 3rd shutdown line. If he stays, we’ll probably see a repeat of the Hemsky-Gagner pairing, which could still be effective vs. easier opposition.

So, you are putting Yakupov on the 3rd line? (or Eberle?) if Hemsky stays.

FWIW aside from last year Hemsky seemed to show up well against toughs and score…. ie., he “shutdown” without simply breaking even. I think we need to hope for that out of our 3rd line anyway… moving the dial… not just shutting down.

I wish MacT would abandon the “checking/shutdown” language in favor of “scoring”…

“3 scoring lines”

“3 for 1″

It’s the magic number:

25. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

Jesse,

Dorthy Mantooth is a SAINT!

26. Магия¹º says:

For the 4th line we need a Jones-X at centre to slip in between Jones-W and Jones-Y

27. hags9k says:

Wes Mantooth-11,

I guess we’ll have to take you at your word……#2.

28. Jordan says:

If Hemsky’s still here come training camp, the Oilers have too many RW whose major dimension is producing offense. There needs to be some roster balancing, and if we’re keeping Ebs and Yak, then Ales needs to leave town. I’m not saying he can’t play the hard minutes – he has, and clearly can. I’m saying his body can’t take it. It clearly hasn’t held up well to playing hard minutes the last 4 years. So expecting him to excel at them and be healthy enough to play them is a poor bet.

I really like the idea of bringing Vanek in as he is a good scorer with size. His advanced stats look marginal the past few seasons – he’s been outshot when on the ice by a large margin the past 3 seasons, and he’s had a near 1000 PDO throughout that time. If Vanek is coming here, Buffalo needs to get something big in return. He’s the only player on their team that could be considered a legit first line player.

As a result, I’m having a hard time building a package that I think would work for him. The sabres have some nice Cs coming, but look to really need some help on the back end. Myers looks like the defensive side of his game needs a lot of help, and Mike Weber looks done.

I wonder if the Oilers could make a deal around Hemsky and N Schultz for Weber and Vanek, to balance the money, and then top that up with one or two prospects and a draft pick from 2014.

If Vanek has said he’s not coming back after his contract expires… then that could provide fair value for them to make the trade. Additionally, if they are going to pull the plug and try for some elite players in the draft… depth players, prospects and draft picks are a good way to plan to lose.

29. Ca$h-Money! says:

Магия¹º,

Is Malhotra @ less than 1 million on a 1 year an option?

30. tlatos says:

I’m all for bringing back Penner. Gilbert too. Anybody know what Grabovski is looking for?

Ideally i’d like a 3rd line of Penner-Grabovski-Hemsky to face the toughs. Leaves MPS-Gagner-Yakupov to take on the easy competition, and a decent enough 4th line in Smyth-Gordon-Joensuu/Jones.

The guy to jettison is N.Schultz and his $3.5mm cap hit, not Hemsky.

31. mumbai max says:

sumaclab,

Petry and a pick and a prospect for ONE YEAR of over priced Vanek?
    I am hoping this was humour!?

32. knighttown says:

Hold on a sec here LT. With 93 and 89 in the 1/2 centre slots the assumption is that Boyd Gordon is centering a #3 line designed to play extremely tough minutes like Manny Malholtra or the great Pahlsson/Niedermeyer/Moen lines of the late 00′s.

Gordon’s Vollman Sledgehammer shows he can do it. It’s got a lovely large blue circle in the top left quadrant. Brutal zone starts, tough competition and great results.

Paajaarvi’s chart is about the most average chart you could design…a tiny red dot in the dead center. Average zone starts. Average qual comp and average results. He’s growing into his role and I see a guy like Gordon being able to pull him into that quadrant.

But Jesse Joensuu?

First of all, only 7 games played in the NHL last season. Secondly, his chart shows a guy who had average zone starts, 47% on a team where the average was about in that range. He played the SOFTEST competition of all Islander forwards including Matt Martin and Eric Boulton. And he had the lowest Corsi Relative at -11.4.

If that isn’t the death blow how about I show you his Zone Finish numbers of 24% nearly 20 points behind second last place on his team and LAST in the entire NHL for forwards playing more than 5 games.

Again, it’s only 7 games but in these 7 games this guy played soft minutes and got slaughtered.

In no way, shape or form is he a candidate for the 3rd line MacTavish has planned. He’s a 13F type at best.

33. russ99 says:

“3 scoring lines”

I’d love to see the Oilers run three scoring lines too, but that’s not how you make the playoffs anymore, especially in a much tougher “Smythe” division with LA, Anaheim, San Jose, and Vancouver – one of which we need finish ahead of in order to get a playoff spot.

Plus Phoenix is no slouch, and Calgary still plays us tough, even though they’re probably going to end up in last place.

34. hags9k says:

knighttown,

I agree. Counting on a third line featuring Joensuu, (Jones Who?) to be a formidable NHL 3rd line is a bad bet. We need a couple more real NHLers up front. Ditto the blueline. If we enter camp with this roster we will be diving headlong into the 2014 draft prospects before xmas.

35. knighttown says:

knighttown:
    Hold on a sec here LT.With 93 and 89 in the 1/2 centre slots the assumption is that Boyd Gordon is centering a #3 line designed to play extremely tough minutes like Manny Malholtra or the great Pahlsson/Niedermeyer/Moen lines of the late 00′s.

Gordon’s Vollman Sledgehammer shows he can do it.It’s got a lovely large blue circle in the top left quadrant.Brutal zone starts, tough competition and great results.

Paajaarvi’s chart is about the most average chart you could design…a tiny red dot in the dead center.Average zone starts.Average qual comp and average results.He’s growing into his role and I see a guy like Gordon being able to pull him into that quadrant.

But Jesse Joensuu?

First of all, only 7 games played in the NHL last season.Secondly, his chart shows a guy who had average zone starts, 47% on a team where the average was about in that range.He played the SOFTEST competition of all Islander forwards including Matt Martin and Eric Boulton.And he had the lowest Corsi Relative at -11.4.

In no way, shape or form is he a candidate for the 3rd line MacTavish has planned.He’s a 13F type at best.

Now, if you are looking at some options for a true checking line left winger that might be affordable:
    -Lee Stempniak; 2nd QC, 3rd toughest ZS (43%), 3rd worst ZF (43%), 2nd best Corsi
    -Dan Winnik; 6th best QC, 2nd toughest ZS (41%); ZF (+5% to 46%); average Corsi

36. Truth says:

Penner has 11 goals in the last 117 regular season games.

37. pboy says:

I don’t do this very often but I have a meeting at noon and all of my prep is done, so I have a little fuck around time. Here’s how I see things right now.

? – RNH – Eberle
    Hall – Gagner – Yakupov
    MPS – Gordon – ?
    Smyth – ? – Brown / Jones / Joensuu / Eager

Ference – N. Schultz
    Smid – Petry
    Belov – J. Schultz

Dubnyk
    Labarbera

Here’s how I would plump out the rest of the roster.

Hemsky traded for a forward (preferably a Center)
    Nick Schultz + a pick + a prospect traded for an upgrade at Defence
    Sign a player like Dustin Penner or Brad Boyes to fill in that 2nd LW spot
    Lander and Klefbom both start the year in Oklahoma.

38. pboy says:

Truth: I don’t believe Penner is an option on the Oilers in any way and nor should he be.Penner has 11 goals in the last 117 regular season games. Penner was in Sutter’s doghouse 2 seasons in a row due to his unwillingness to compete every night.Eakins is a fitness freak and his number #1 prerequisite for a player is for them to compete every night.MacT has butted heads with Penner many times in the past and his prerequisite is also for a player to compete every night.

I hope that Eakins real #1 prerequisite is playing the guys who are going to help get wins. There are plenty of players who aren’t Triathlete’s in waiting that help their teams win in the NHL. Those are the player I want to see here. Penner helped move the puck in the right direction more times than not when he was here and I think he is still capable of that.

40. Aron_S says:

Hey folks and LT,

Just listening to the show now, but I’m wondering if yesterday’s show has been uploaded. When I go to the Team’s site, the latest podcast I can find is May 15th. I can see Gregor’s show from yesterday, but nothing from Lowetide. Can anyone help a fellow fan out?

41. pboy says:

Lowetide: T: Sure, agreed he hasn’t proven himself (the NHL stats are small sample size) but that is the player type we’re talking about. The Oilers pro scouting department hasn’t inspired a lot of confidence but if Joensuu can fit there Ill take it

Aron_S:
    Hey folks and LT,

Just listening to the show now, but I’m wondering if yesterday’s show has been uploaded.When I go to the Team’s site, the latest podcast I can find is May 15th.I can see Gregor’s show from yesterday, but nothing from Lowetide.Can anyone help a fellow fan out?

keep scrolling down

43. Numenius says:

44. Numenius says:

pboy: How the hell are you posting right now? I’m sitting in my office listening to the show and I can barely listen and post at the same time, let alone host the show and post.

This confirms my suspicions that LT really is two or more people.

brilliance

46. PDO says:

If you offer Hemsky at half his salary for Vanek, that saves Buffalo just a hair under $5,000,000.

In a rebuilding year I suspect that might actually hold a ton of value to the point where you don’t have to give up a major asset to close the deal. I’m talking a 2nd round pick, Musil, etc.

Hall – Hopkins – Eberle
    Vanek – Gagner – Yakupov

Score all the goals.

47. Aron_S says:

Beauty, thanks LT. Big fan.

48. rickithebear says:

pboy: Lander and Klefbom both start the year in Oklahoma

Lander and J. Schultz both start in OKC

49. russ99 says:

Unless MacT goes crazy with an offer sheet, I don’t see us filling a top-4 defense spot anymore with a FA. And yes, trading for Coburn is a pipe dream and Tom Gilbert need not apply.

So IMO, the defense would be:

Smid / Petry
    Ference / J. Schultz (perfect paring with Justin)
    N. Schultz (or replacement) / Larsen, Belov or Potter

50. speeds says:

PDO,

I don’t know that it’s impossible BUF trades Vanek, but I don’t know if they’d look at that type of deal if they were to do so.

That trade saves them ~4.6M in cap room, but only ~3.65M in actual cash. And they may believe that the difference between Vanek and Hemsky’s trade value at the deadline is more than worth it, even assuming they’ve given up on signing Vanek long term.

51. slopitch says:

If we can get Vanek for Hemsky+ and get Coburn there will be parties on Whyte ave come April! They might only last 2 weeks but I haven’t seen playoffs in far too long.

52. Captain Happy says:

speeds:
    PDO,

That trade saves them ~4.6M in cap room, but only ~3.65M in actual cash.And they may believe that the difference between Vanek and Hemsky’s trade value at the deadline is more than worth it, even assuming they’ve given up on signing Vanek long term.

Lots of chatter for the past few months that Vanek would be headed to Minnesota.

He played for the U of Minn Gophers and his wife is from Minnesota.

I would imagine the Wild might already have swung a deal for him if they had been able to buy out Heatley but couldn’t due to injury.

53. Zipdot says:

Numenius: I just don’t get why no one ever mentions Penner on this blog. He’d be a great 2LW option.

Ugh, how many times are we going to beat this dead horse? Of all the semi-memes this blog has fostered, this has got to be the lamest.

54. BONVIE says:

Actually i like the idea of Vanek, but there is no use getting him to fill the spot short term because we don’t have players in our system to fill this spot down the road. I definitely think he has more value than Hemsky for a longer term contract, but if you made a deal you would have to get the extension on his contract before the deal was made.

55. Ca$h-Money! says:

Captain Happy,

I like Vanek, but he’s not the answer.

We are either getting a 1 year stop gap or a long term solution.

If he’s a 1 year stop gap, and we’re giving up Petry + + for him as some have suggested, we lose.

If he’s a long term solution, and we keep Gagner, and we sign Yakupov to 6 mil… we have 36 million tied up in our top 6.

Reality here is that having 5 players in the top 6 in the 5 million + range (the cost of keeping Gagner) is a big stretch (Chicago thrives with 4). The sixth guy needs to be cheap… ideally less than 3 million. That’s why Stafford is a better fit, if we’re talking about a buffalo trade, than is Vanek. Boyes or Penner from the UFA market also make sense.

56. Captain Happy says:

Ca$h-Money!:
    Captain Happy,

I like Vanek, but he’s not the answer.

We are either getting a 1 year stop gap or a long term solution.

If he’s a long term solution, and we keep Gagner, and we sign Yakupov to 6 mil…we have 36 million tied up in our top 6.

Reality here is that having 5 players in the top 6 in the 5 million + range (the cost of keeping Gagner) is a big stretch (Chicago thrives with 4).The sixth guy needs to be cheap… ideally less than 3 million. That’s why Stafford is a better fit, if we’re talking about a buffalo trade, than is Vanek.Boyes or Penner from the UFA market also make sense.

Agree completely.

The Oilers won’t be able to pay Vanek in the long run.

Minny could pull it off because they’ll be losing Heatleys and Pominville’s cap hits next season and they will still have Granlund, Coyle , Zucker and Brodin on ELC’s.

Minnesota Wild!!! Drink!!!!!!

58. Kris11 says:

I wish DSF would come here to brag about how really good teams like the Hawks and Pens and Bruins are better than the Oilers, instead of Minnesota and Florida and Vancouver.

Or maybe he could troll Vancouver sites about how the Hawks and Pens and Bruins are way better than the Canucks.

I mean, we all think the Oilers have sucked and are critical of management and are not interested in a TSN.CA style blog where bragging is exchanged instead of arguing. And none of us are really interested in discussin Minnesota, except very rarely in rare circumstances, or we’d go to Minnesota sites.

59. Lois Lowe says:

Zipdot: Ugh, how many times are we going to beat this dead horse?Of all the semi-memes this blog has fostered, this has got to be the lamest.

Not a Penner fan, eh?

60. dangilitis says:

I am not a Ryan Jones fan, but can live with him playing on a 4th line. But, can someone please explain to me why we are entrusting an important 3rd line wing role with Joensuu? What is the rationale for this 2 year signing? What has he done to prove he can play at an NHL level against top forwards? Or score? I am trying really hard to like this guy, but to go and sign him within hours of free agency when there was much better and proven talent on the boards? Were there other teams interested in him? Is he better than Hartikkainen?

61. pboy says:

Would anyone be interested if MacT could pry Max Talbot out of Philly? They have a ton of depth at the Center spot in Philly and they could reduce their payroll a little bit. He would fit in nicely at the 4C here.

As of today, Jeff Petry is the Oilers best defensemen. Defense is the Oilers weakest position. And people want to trade him for a another forward. A horribly expensive forward one year from UFA status headed, who in a year will be headed back to his adopted home state in Minnesota.

The stuff one reads on hockey blogs sometimes.

The #4D on a hockey team plays as many or more even strength minutes than a forward on the 1st line.

Losing Petry and the Oilers will be exactly where they were last year, with three proven NHL defensemen.

How exactly did that turn out?

Nick Schultz and Andrew Ference are not Gary Suter, and able to carry a rookie defensemen on their back. Justin Schultz should be #1PP but on the 3rd pairing. He should be viewed as a #5 guy a couple of years away from being a #2 guy. Belov hasn’t played a game. Klefbom hasn’t played a game.

And yet people want to trade Jeff Petry. Who in just his first two years in the NHL has demonstrated that he is at least an all-around 2nd pairing NHL defensemen, with the potential to be an top quartile #3D, and an long shot of being a #2 guy.

And yet people want to trade Jeff Petry.

63. Bag of Pucks says:

Really interesting to read the press coverage on Tyler Seguin after his trade to Boston.

One of my favorite NHL stories from back in the day was the one where the Bruins kidnapped Esposito from the hospital (bed and all) to take him to a team party.

Fast forward to the politically correct present day, and teams now seem to expect that 21 year old phenoms will live like monks to fully earn their multi-million dollar contracts?

If Seguin’s partying did affect his actual play, then I would agree that this player deserves some heat, but it’s interesting to note that no one on the Bs is saying exactly that and even in the Boston Herald story, Chiarelli is distancing himself from the press speculation that this trade was all about Seguin (and possibly to a lesser extent Marchand) partying too hard for their liking.

What bothers me is about this is this assertion that a 21 year old like Seguin should know better because he’s been given this amazing opportunity in life and as a result, he should immediately possess the maturity that goes along with that?

Tyler Seguin is a very talented hockey player. He’s also a KID in an age of ubiquitous social media.

I wish all these folks criticizing him in the press would honestly ask themselves the question, how would you behave if you were young, good looking, famous and extremely rich? Chances are, the honest ones would answer that they’d enjoy it as much as they could.

I know it’s a PR piece http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LlqceFsh5k but this video seems a long way removed from the Justin Bieber level douchebag type of behavior that some are claiming.

Hope this kid absolutely lights it up for Dallas this year.

If one want Vanek and he wants to be an Oiler, wait a year until he is a UFA. Make Dustin Penner a one year offer that the cannot refuse.

You get Vanek for only money, still have Jeff Petry, and you have temporarily and adequately filled the Vanek spot.

65. lawrenharris says:

I’m fine with continued calls for some discussion about Penner on this site, but can we please, PLEASE declare an indefinite moratorium on the pancake meme. It was always too easy and has now descended past puerility.

MacT saying Gagner “probably” going to arbitration.

As per clip of him on Bob’s show.

Also said Jones will be 3LW.

Seeing as Jones is a RW, I’m not sure if he mis-spoke or if Eakins wants wingers playing off wing.

67. Kris11 says:

Oh MacT, that is double bad.

68. rickithebear says:

Godot:
    If jeff petry is a #3D then Chara is a #3D

Petry was the only Dman in the league.
    top 40 in
    1st comp EVGA
    PKGA
    Even Assits ( puck movement)
    Blocks/game
    Hits/game
    takeaways/gm
    and when given pp time he was top 40 in PP production.

The only dman.
    What the f……. don’t you get about results being more important than minutes played.

If petry is not ta #1 dman.
    then explain to me who the f………………is.
    Cause chara did not even cover the whole bet!

Don’t get me started on Weber who is the worst Pk dman in the game!

rickithebear:
    Godot:
    If jeff petry is a #3D then Chara is a #3D

Petry was the only Dman in the league.
    top 40 in
    1st comp EVGA
    PKGA
    Even Assits ( puck movement)
    Blocks/game
    Hits/game
    takeaways/gm
    and when given pp time he was top 40 in PP production.

The only dman.

If petry is not ta #1 dman.
    then explain to me who the f………………is.
    Cause chara did not even cover the whole bet!

I don’t have to oversell my point. I was clear that I think Jeff Petry is the best defensemen on the Oilers right now, and that it is absurd to even think about trading him.

70. knighttown says:

dangilitis:

Well, the worst Zone Finish in the NHL last year would suggest he isn’t exactly moving the puck in the right direction. Granted, it was only 1/7th of a season and perhaps he faced the ’27 Yankees in all 7 games but posting a 24% Zone Finish is remarkable. You’d think a team might have missed a breakaway pass and gotten called for icing a time or two.

There is no reason for a 24-year old to settle on a long term contract if he feels that he has not reached his potential. Gagner still believes in himself.

Arbitration is a good option for both sides in that instance. That is what it is there for when both sides do not agree on potential. Gagner is willing to see the turn card.

72. bookje says:

Woodguy:
    MacT saying Gagner “probably” going to arbitration.

As per clip of him on Bob’s show.

Also said Jones will be 3LW.

Hmm, I think I will hold off on the order for 1000 MacT fan club pins…

73. LMHF#1 says:

Woodguy:

Also said Jones will be 3LW.

Is MacTavish’s purpose to make me stab my eyes out in the crowd next season?

I will take it that the tank has been reinstituted if that guy is on the 3rd line.

74. Captain Obvious says:

Woodguy:
    MacT saying Gagner “probably” going to arbitration.

As per clip of him on Bob’s show.

Also said Jones will be 3LW.

It just gets worse and worse.

This team is four good players short of being a real team and they are talking about Ryan freakin’ Jones on the third line and losing Gagner for nothing.

As an aside I wish we would stop adopting the lazy terminology of numbered lines and roles. There is no such thing as roles in hockey. Everyone’s job is the same. Stop the other team from scoring. Score yourself. This is as true for the so-called fourth line as it is true for the so-called first line. If you sacrifice talent for “fit” or “filling a role” or other forms of insignificant speech you are consigning yourself to an eternity of losing.

Find good players. Get good players. Keep good players. You can never have too many good players. Nothing else matters.

75. rickithebear says:

PS GODot : every tjhing you wrote was bang on except
    pety’s value.
    and
    Suter carrying brodin.

11-12
    Weber – 1st comp – 0.90 Evp/60 – 2.04 Evga/60 – 44.6% ZS
    Suter – 1st comp – 0.74 Evp/60 – 2.13 Evga/60 – 45.7% ZS

12-13
    Brodin – 1st Comp – .42 Evp/60 – 1.86 Evga/60 – 46.9% ZS
    Suter – 1st comp – 0.85 Evp/60 – 2.07 Evga/60 – 49.9% ZS

76. bendelson says:

Bag of Pucks,

Your position on the supposed antics of Seguin is all fine, but what are you going to say when they confiscate his monkey at the airport on Dallas’ first road trip?

Ryan Jones on the third line? That screams failure. Gordon will have his hands full shutting anybody down with RJ on his wing… Ug.

77. Ca$h-Money! says:

godot10,

RE: Your point on Petry, Vanek, and Gagner:

YES. You win. All correct. Thank you sir, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

rickithebear,

I’ve got to say I’ve come to love reading Rickithebear stats. Always a unique take.

You forgot to mention how bad Justin Schultz is though. Next time maybe?

78. Bag of Pucks says:

bendelson:
    Bag of Pucks,

79. LoDog says:

Penner and his 11 goals in his last 117 games with many a healthy scratch is a good option at 2LW? Really.

80. Undisclosed_Personal_Reasons says:

rickithebear:
    If petry is not ta #1 dman.
    then explain to me who the f………………is.
    Cause chara did not even cover the whole bet!

Don’t get me started on Weber who is the worst Pk dman in the game!

I support analytics as much as the next guy, except when the next guy’s analysis leads him to conclude Petry is a bona fide #1 D and outclasses Chara.

If that’s what the data are telling you, then take a closer look at the limitations of your indicators.

LoDog:

Dustin Penner will create space for the small skill forwards to score more. The Oilers are moving to a big heavy division. He can give and take a pass extremely well for a big man. He is defensively responsible. On a short contract, Penner fills a need till something better can be found.

Nobody is saying that Penner should be offered term. But a one or two year contract for reasonable dollars, he is an actual NHL hockey player that fills a real need.

82. jb says:

If our opening lineup consists of Jones and Joensuu between Gordon on the 3rd line, we’re in a shitload of trouble and seem to be aiming for another top 5 pick once again.

No way we can accept that going into the season, no way.

We’ve seen a few depth signings which is good (we’re still short NHL Dmen), we have a slight Horcoff downgrade on our 3rd line now (but no 5.5m Horcoff contract so all is well right).

Have we gotten ANY better this offseason? Looks like no to me so far.

83. bendelson says:

Bag of Pucks,

Indeed.

It’s a tell like no other – when a man gets a monkey…

84. Ca$h-Money! says:

jb,

We’re a little bit better. Hopefully coaching effects help improve overall performance as well.

Gordon is more Manny Malhotra than Shawn Horcoff, which is fine with me. Pajaarvi should start to excel in the 3LW role under his guidance. I’m not sold on the New Big Finn as the 3RW… we shall see.

Reasonable to expect continued progression from Hall RNH Eberle Yakupv Gagner.. so that’s nice.

Schultz the younger should be more like he was in the first half of the year than the last. Keep in mind he was really good early on, he just got visibly worn down by playing way too much hockey.

Also, no Ryan Whitney.

So yes, we’re better. Not good enough mind you, but clearly better.

85. jb says:

Ca$h-Money!:
    jb,

We’re a little bit better.Hopefully coaching effects help improve overall performance as well.

Gordon is more Manny Malhotra than Shawn Horcoff, which is fine with me.Pajaarvi should start to excel in the 3LW role under his guidance.I’m not sold on the New Big Finn as the 3RW… we shall see.

Reasonable to expect continued progression from Hall RNH Eberle Yakupv Gagner..so that’s nice.

Schultz the younger should be more like he was in the first half of the year than the last.Keep in mind he was really good early on, he just got visibly worn down by playing way too much hockey.

Also, no Ryan Whitney.

So yes, we’re better.Not good enough mind you, but clearly better.

True, I wasn’t thinking of the addition by subtraction. Overall though I don’t see much improvement or reason to be optimistic going into this season.

Gordon is more like Malholtra because they have NO OFFENSIVE game whatsoever, Horcoff was paid more because he does what they do but has some offensive potential… That should scare a number of Horcoff haters who could no longer watch him “whiff” on a cross ice tapin.

I hold out hope we’ll see some actual improvements before training camp, but as is… it’s just not there. We’re still bad.

86. TheOtherJohn says:

Gordon and Horcoff have very similar EVPTs. Surprisingly so. Horcoff got some real minutes on PP. Gordon will get none. The issue will be whether the recipient of Horcoff’s PP minutes can match that production

87. Young Oil says:

This summer is turning out to be painful. I liked everything done on draft day and July 5, assuming that a larger move would be coming. Assuming we can trade Hemsky (salary retained) for a #4C (Smith, or I’d love somehow getting Kreider and Boyle, but given the Rangers cap situation that is unlikely), we still need a #2LW, a #3RW, and another top 4 D, unless Klefbom emulates Brodin. Jones can’t be on the third line, let alone on his off wing.

Everyone is talking about Penner, but I am surprised nobody is talking about Jagr. He would fit in great in this group, and if we sign him to a one year deal, and we find ourselves falling out of playoff contention, we can deal him for a first rounder and a quality prospect.

As for a #3RW, I’ve said multiple times I like Nick Palmieri, and would like it if they take a flyer on him, though that is unlikely.

There’s still plenty of time before the season starts, but it seems like MacT is content, which would be a huge mistake.

88. FastOil says:

The only big deal I am on board for is for someone young enough to lock up long term to protect against cap increases while still playing at a high level.

When the cap goes up over time you don’t gain cap space, salaries escalate. There are short term gains that can be capitalized on.

Hall / RNH / Eberle (toughs)

Kulemin / Gordon / Pajaarvi (toughs)

Penner / Gagner / Yak

Smyth / ??? / Joensuu

Could do some damage.
    If they can find a 4th C that can pop a few not a bad line up. Size throughout except the first but they don’t need it if they play both ways. If the 4C isn’t small

89. OilClog says:

TheOtherJohn:

Well aslong as they have a better shot.. I’d say nearly anyone can match Horc’s totals playing with those kids

90. BlacqueJacque says:

Isn’t arbitration the absolutely worst-case result? Typically overpaying on term, and a one-year contract that leads to UFA status?

91. 42 percent body fat says:

Woodguy,

Hey WG, didnt get a chance to finish with our chat yesterday. Your right Grabo has more experience and is 29. However by the time Gagner is 29 his game should round out too be a two way player also. Hopefully he can do this sooner rather than later but maybe with Grabos stagnant offence last year he would better in the third line role.

92. Truth says:

TheOtherJohn:

It is interesting to see that Gordon and Horcoff are very close statistically at even strength and Horcoff has been used on the PP in Edmonton for the past few years when Gordon was not used at all. Is it a lack of talent in Edm. or a horrible coaching decision?

93. Lucinius says:

BlacqueJacque,

Arbitration is a bad place to be for the Gagner contract. I don’t blame Gagner for going that route; just as I don’t blame MacT for it getting to arbitration — its not his fault Tambellini screwed the pooch on Gagner’s last contract.

Its the smartest thing for Gagner to do; and its something MacT likely had little control over short of drastically over-paying Gagner to fore-go his right to file for arbitration, take the one year deal and hit UFA.

94. Truth says:

BlacqueJacque:
    Isn’t arbitration the absolutely worst-case result?Typically overpaying on term, and a one-year contract that leads to UFA status?

I think MacT is saying that Gagner will file for arbitration. They can (and have) agreed to a deal right up until the hearing. It is posturing by Gagner (and his agent), especially when arbitration is a one year contract in which, upon its completion, Gagner would become the youngest ever UFA. Horrible optics for a team loaded with young talent, IMO.

95. Zipdot says:

Truth: I don’t know if this is to be taken seriously. The removal of Horcoff from the PP is addition by subtraction, much like Whitney taking off to “play for a good team”. Unfortunately for him it might be a good AHL team.

Well said, Truth.

Horcoff was given those PP minutes because the coach was throwing him a bone. His back was breaking, and without the PP minutes, he would have crumbled.

He will be handily replaced. Give the minutes to Paajarvi.

Lucinius:
    BlacqueJacque,

Gagner appears to be doing exactly what he did last year. File for arbitration. MacT is in exactly the same situation as Steve Tambellini. And as Doug Armstrong was/is with Patrick Berglund. Young players who believe in their own potential who won’t sign away their future.

Most arbitration cases are settled for one year before the hearing because neither the team nor the player want to spend a few hours hearing how bad each other are.

97. maudite says:

Re Gagner filling…

It’s the right call. Who wouldn’t prefer taking the one year deal and then having the option of going anywhere the following year. Have to be crazy to sign a long deal. 24 yr old UFA…that’s a bullet in the foot that is not going to heal.

Sign Grabo now plz

98. Puckberger says:

Well the HOF selections are in and Lindros, Fleury , Blake, Anderchuck and Roenick were passed over for a womens hockey player Ive never heard of ……

Joke in my opinion considering womens hockey is a comparable to Midget AAA, but hey what can you do….

99. Ca$h-Money! says:

jb,

Gordon is more like Malhotra because he’s good at defense, whereas Horcoff is OK. Even strength offense is the same. It’s good to have a Malhotra, it gives us the opportunity to give more offensive zone ice to the soft minutes scoring line (Gagner line or RNH line, whichever doesn’t have Hall most likely).

Gordon is a clear upgrade on Horcoff today. The addition by subtraction is good too.

That said we agree on the baseline: the team probably isn’t good enough as is. We need to make a couple of savvy depth signings and at least one trade. We shall see.

100. bendelson says:

Puckberger,

You actually think one has anything to do with the other??

101. "Steve Smith" says:

How come Zipdot never posts here, anyway?

102. khildahl says:

“Steve Smith”,

Penner what-now?

103. jonrmcleod says:

“Steve Smith”,

He’s probably upset that LT is always giving Richard Cloutier too much prominence on this blog.

104. Gret99zky says:

For those who didn’t make it to Oilers Development Camp this year.

Today’s scrimmage featuring Oscar Klefbom.

Cheers.

105. knighttown says:

Zipdot: Well said, Truth.

Horcoff was given those PP minutes because the coach was throwing him a bone.His back was breaking, and without the PP minutes, he would have crumbled.

He will be handily replaced.Give the minutes to Paajarvi.

Horcoff was given those minutes because he’s not half bad on the PP. His points per 60 was up there with the big 6; 89, 83, 4, 93 and 64 and ahead of 14. He’s well clear of the supporting cast including 91. His Corsi 5v4 was also fine. I assume his value comes from faceoff wins and puck retrieval.

And guess what. Boyd Gordon will likely get some share of power play time in Edmonton just like Horcoff did. He wins 57% of his draws and is like a dog on a bone for loose pucks and those skills are unique (well actually, they are singular) on this team.

106. Mr DeBakey says:

I assume his value comes from faceoff wins and puck retrieval.

Plus, he’d park his 210 in the opposing G’s face after winning the draw.

Penner could park 240 y’know.

107. Truth says:

Toews uses a certain stick specifically for faceoffs. He will win a draw and then swing by the bench to switch it out. If I’m coaching and don’t have an offensively gifted center that is good on draws I am ensuring that the faceoff centerman is on the ice for no longer than 10 seconds, assuming we had possession of the puck. Absolutely no reason to have Horcoff on the ice for longer than that on a PP. I will be paying attention to how much Dallas uses him on the PP with a notoriously bad faceoff center in Seguin.

108. Bag of Pucks says:

Does moving Taylor Hall to C quality as a ‘bold’ move?

Do that. Trade Gagner for someone like Glencross. Sign someone like Mayson Raymond and it’s amazing how much better that Top 9 looks

Yak/Hall/Eberle
    Glencross/RNH/Hemsky
    Raymond/Gordon/Jones

109. jb says:

Raymond is bad.. You don’t become better by dumping Gagner for glencross, or Hemsky for some 4th line scrub from Ottawa(stupid fan trade proposals). Those are retarded moves unless your up against the cap. Not teams looking to be better.

Whole damn city turned on Hemsky.. A loyal soldier for years who WANTS to sign here

42 percent body fat,

Grabbos offence dropped with his zone starts and some change in linemates. Put him back in a 2C role and his offence comes back.

Gagner is 5 years from 29 years old.

Hall is 7 years from UFA.

Can’t wait.

Need a good 200ft 2C right now.

111. regwald says:

Puckberger:

I was a Lindros fan back in the day, but no Stanley Cup will haunt his ability to be selected.

112. regwald says:

regwald: They represent different categories and builders do not impact players and the female category is separate as well.

Edit: “Starting in 2010, the Hall will consider male and female candidates separately. The new bylaw will allow a maximum of four men and two women to be inducted each year.