THE PLATZER

I waited a long time before writing about Kyle Platzer, fully knowing that Jonathan Willis would get to it and I could steal from him. Jon scored big this time, with two very interesting posts. Since there’s no real draft slotting about Platzer (Pronman was the only one who ranked him) and there was so little to go on, I’m going to keep this short and sweet.

• Redline Report: Platzer, while not as big and strong around the net as Elie, recorded five points (2G, 3A) in his first five playoff games, to go along with a +6 in the plus/minus category. Platzer, who had five goals all season in his 4th line role, uses speed and instincts around the offensive end to pop into openings and create dangerous chances.
  • Jonathan Willis has quotes from Corey Pronman and a former scout saying impressive things about the Oilers 4th round selection.
  • Jonathan Willis paints the math picture and it’s tough to make out from here but there are some interesting arrows.

The Platzer story goes like this: they took him damned early for a guy who grades out like Willis’ 2nd article above, but the first Willis article offers ‘saw him good’ arrows and the amount of icetime Platzer enjoyed was a major tell from this past season.

• Brock Otten, OHL Prospects: Platzer did absolutely everything London’s coaching staff asked him to do this year, including seeing some time on the blueline to cover for injuries. That’s why he managed to (mostly) avoid the carousel many of London’s other younger players had to ride (like Jammes, Liberati, Pawley, etc) in 2013. His numbers don’t jump out at you, and they won’t with the barely 10 minutes of ice time he saw a game. But you have to assess him based on what he was able to do with that ice time (similar to Remi Elie who’s rated higher). Platzer may not be huge (pushing 5’11), but he’s a skilled player who also can provide energy and persistence away from the puck. You might notice Platzer outworking opposing defenses along the boards, or beating them to loose pucks, but he’s also clearly a very intelligent offensive player who is capable of putting up higher point totals. He did lead his Waterloo GOJHL team in scoring as a 16 year old in 2012. The one thing I admire about London is their ability to make younger players work hard to stay in the line-up. Ice time is earned, not given. And Platzer earned every second of time he received this year.

25 Responses to "THE PLATZER"

1. Romulus Apotheosis says:

FWIW I think the most promising new tidbit is from the more pessimistic article:

Still, Foligno provides one bright spot. There is another one, too – the performance of Platzer in the Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League the year before he jumped to the OHL. It’s hard to generate a long list of GOJHL players, but at least three were drafted in the first round. Here’s how those three compare to Platzer in the year before their first season of draft eligibility.

- Kyle Platzer: 50GP, 31G-24A-55PTS (1.10 points/game)

- Mark Scheifele: 51GP, 18G-37A-55PTS (1.08 points/game)

- Daultan Leveille: 48GP, 19G-26A-45PTS (0.94 points/game)

- Tanner Pearson: 52GP, 15G-33A-48PTS (0.92 points/game)

Leveille was a bad pick by Atlanta; he’ll turn 23 this summer and he is still stuck in the ECHL. Pearson and Scheifele, however, are both on track as significant NHL prospects.

It helps though that I think we all knew he was buried on a deep team already… this other piece is genuinely new to me and looks like a bone fide piece of silver lining.

2. Romulus Apotheosis says:

One of the give aways on The Platter here ought to be his size vs. line assignment. A small, skilled center playing on the 4th line is an oddity in any situation other than one involving a greenhorn.

3. 99thoilerfan says:

Evening LT,

Position, Right Wing. Shoots, Right. Height, 5.11. Weight, 184. Birthdate, March 4, 1995.

“….. uses speed and instincts around the offensive end to pop into openings and create dangerous chances.”

“….recorded five points (2G, 3A) in his first five playoff games, to go along with a +6 in the plus/minus category”

“….Kyle Platzer: 50GP, 31G-24A-55PTS (1.10 points/game)”

Like the sounds of that!

4. Romulus Apotheosis says:

If we look at the knights regular season roster

There are so many older Cs not only is The Platter listed as RW, but Horvat is listed as LW. Still, with Domi and Horvat both staying with the Knights next year, I imagine he’ll still have trouble getting more than 3rd or 4th line C minutes. He might be a winger by the time he finishes jr.

5. wheatnoil says:

Platzer is an interesting boom/bust pick. The Oilers are betting that the only thing holding him back was being on a powerhouse London team, and there’s evidence that this is true. The interesting thing about this pick is that we’ll know as soon as next year as to whether the Oilers were right or not.

I’ve got to say, it’s a gamble, but fourth round picks are a gamble at the best of time anyways. You’re always looking for hidden gems and this is a creative way of trying to uncover one. I wonder if the scouts noticed Platzer while they were busy scouting Bo Horvat.

6. wheatnoil says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    If we look at the knights regular season roster

7. jp says:

As for Platzer, seems like an interesting prospect. We’ll have to wait and see if he grabs some more ice time and takes a step forward, or if he stagnates like Moroz (who by the way I still think has a good chance of becoming a useful 4th liner).

8. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    If we look at the knights regular season roster

There’s a very good chance both Domi and Horvat play in the NHL next season.

9. JamesL says:

jp,

A timely and repetitious use of the “escape” key (i.e. when the text displays but before the page fully and completely loads) may help you…

10. oiledgun says:

jp,

Hey JP,

I access the Edmonton journal website through my phone and never get the subscription thing.

Also LT, I’ve never posted on here before but just wanted to say thanks for this blog. It’s a pleasure to read during my morning coffee.

11. Romulus Apotheosis says:

jp,

I’ve never encountered this. I have no advice other than to hope this doesn’t happen to me… I read Cult of Hockey everyday without a paywall issue.

wheatnoil: I seem to remember Domi playing the wing on Horvat’s line during the Memorial Cup, but maybe I’m not remembering that correctly. If Domi is playing wing, then that might open up a 2nd line C spot for Platzer.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the website doesn’t reflect all the positions these kids played through the year… If The Platter played D for a couple of games, it’s all basically a toss up.

Dead Cat Bounce: There’s a very good chance both Domi and Horvat play in the NHL next season.

While that would be great for The Platter, I highly doubt Domi and Horvat get more than 9 games next year. Highly doubt it. I don’t see any reason to rush them, esp. when they are going to play a pivotal role on a good team next year.

I’d be surprised if they made it out of camp and even got to 9 actually.

12. unca miltie says:

jp,

I get the subscription message on my computer but not on my i-pad so i use the i-pad for the journal

13. jp says:

oiledgun,

Welcome, and unfortunately I don’t have a smart phone.

JamesL,

Thanks, I’ll give the Esc button a try – there is definitely a pronounced pause between the page and paywall loading.

Romulus Apotheosis,

Good luck to you. Up until 3 or 4 months ago all was well, then I got the subscription popup for periodic blocks of time. For the last month or so, all the time.

Edit: The Esc key seems to work. Awesome! Off to learn a little more about Platzer.

14. "Steve Smith" says:

Google Chrome’s incognito window bypasses* an awful lot of paywalls (The Onion’s, for example, although I actually feel like I probably should be paying for that one). Not sure if works on the CanWest ones or not.

(Actually, I did used to pay for The Onion, but then I changed credit cards and never got around to buying a subscription on the new one. Maybe I should go do that right now.)

*I initially wrote “surpasses”, before I realized that that word does not mean what I think that it means.

15. bookje says:

If you use “in private” or “incognito” browsing, you can view 10 EJ articles eac time you open your browser. Right click on your browser icon and choose the private mode.

16. bookje says:

Oh my – I gotta stop hanging out here. Before long I will be predicting 3-1 trades.

17. "Steve Smith" says:

bookje:
    If you use “in private” or “incognito” browsing, you can view 10 EJ articles eac time you open your browser.Right click on your browser icon and choose the private mode.

If I understand web browsers correctly,* this means that you should be able to achieve the same result by deleting your cookies, no?

*I don’t.

18. Ribs says:

So Platzer is the Anti-Schremp?

19. DeadmanWaking says:

"Steve Smith": Google Chrome’s incognito window bypasses* an awful lot of paywalls

Incognito outstrips everything, awful or not, but the real advantage is that it’s faster to close a window wearing your own bathrobe than jump through one wearing someone else’s.

20. Bruce McCurdy says:

99thoilerfan: Position, Right Wing. Shoots, Right. Height, 5.11. Weight, 184.

Oilers Right Wingers
    Jordan Eberle, 5’11, 184.
    Ales Hemsky, 6’0, 184.
    Nail Yakupov, 5’11, 184.

Platzer should fit right in!

21. Bruce McCurdy says:

jp: Sigh. Is there any way around the EJ subscription thingy? I don’t live in Edm so I don’t have a print subscription. And the thought of paying $10 a month for access to their Oilers articles isn’t overly appealing. Guess I’m stuck.

If you access posts through social media it seems to work around that paywall. So … follow me on Twitter! :) Or just visit my feed. I tweet links to most CoH posts, by any of the three of us. If you want to find ‘em quick, you can cut thru my other crap by using the search function (CTRL-F) and enter key word “Cult”, that should isolate those links.

22. Bruce McCurdy says:

re: Platzer, from Corey Pronman’s latest rankings of the Oilers:

The Sleeper: Kyle Platzer, Center

It is possible Platzer would be a more-touted prospect if he played on a worse OHL team than London, where he was buried on the depth chart. His skill level is high, and he has the potential to score.

23. Ca$h-Money! says:

such an interesting pick. I’m sensing the new strategy is to try and hit home runs as you move deeper into the draft; that makes a lot of sense to me. It’s such tremendous value to a team when they get a top six forward or top four defenceman later in the draft. There is a pretty good chance this kid doesn’t pan out, but he’s also got more upside than a lot of kids that are left on the table at this point of the draft. I like the pick.

24. stevezie says:

Hitting “stop” once the text has loaded prevents the paywall from coming up.

25. jp says:

"Steve Smith",

bookje,

Bruce McCurdy,

Thanks guys, all of these suggestions seem to work well. Quite a few ways to get around the issue!