VANEK AT THE DISCO?

The to-do list is now down to a manageable number for Craig MacTavish, but the items left are the things that will shape his early career in the GM’s chair.  A misstep and you’re waiting five years for the end of the contract, and a home run and you’ve vaulted your team into the second season.

MACT’S LIST

1. Sign Sam Gagner to a multi-year deal that has begins with a number in the 4′s
  2. Get Paajarvi signed and then find a role that suits him (suspect it’s 3line).
  3. Find a 2line L who can complement Gagner-Yakupov with puck retrieval, blocking out the sun, etc
  4. Find a 4line C
  5. Deal Hemsky for immediate help (even if its a checker).

Let’s see if we can figure out what MacTavish was trying to do in free agency but was unable to because of dollars and sense.

rishaug ufa

So, that’s one Frank Mahovlich and one tough 2-way winger with some skill. I’m not going to count Ryan Jones (who was signed later) as the Nystrom and so let’s go to market and see if we can come up with a few names that resemble these fellows. Now, one thing. There are no Frank Mahovlich’s, so instead of a big, strong, gifted scorer who could take and make a pass and drive to the net while also winning board battles we’re going to accept guys who have some of those qualities. It’s not completely fair, but it beats staring at a blank page.

• L Tomas Vanek. I understand, he’s expensive and they’re not going to give him away and then you have to sign him and and and. If you’re looking for a solution to the top 6F problem, Vanek is a great one. No worries about fighting through traffic and he has a scorer’s touch.
  • R Blake Wheeler. Big guy and skilled, the Jets must love him but they’re also interested in getting better and dealt for Setoguchi so maybe they’re done (Jets don’t do much). He’s a nice fit though.
  • L David Perron. Like him, think he’s available and wrote about it here.
  • W Nikolai Kulemin. Love this player. I think he’d be able to play anywhere on either wing and be the Pisani until Paajarvi takes over. Wonderful talent.
  • L Curtis Glencross. Overpay will be required, but if the Oilers are serious about improving the team Glencross would be an outstanding addition.
  • L Vinny Prospal. Old as the hills and twice as dusty, but he qualifies under several of the stated requirements. A fine player forever.
  • L Dustin Penner. I know, and I know. However, if you’ve missed out on Clarkson and need someone to play with Gagner and be big and skilled, who not go with someone who has been successful with Gagner and can be big and skilled? I know.
  • R Joel Ward. Big contract and the offense can sputter, but this guy can also win battles along the wall.
  • L Brendan Morrow. I know he’s close to done and he wasn’t much in Dallas, but he’d be playing on a skill line in Edmonton and should cash at .5 per game or thereabouts. The big thing is he has no speed at all. I wonder how much faster he is (if any) than Smyth?
  • R Adam Cracknell. Big guy, decent hands and would certainly bring some attitude to the bottom 6.
  • C Peter Mueller: He’s no tough guy, but does have size and skill. Concussions a concern, but he was fairly healthy this past season.
  • R Colby Armstrong. Always liked this player, he’s battled injuries and bad timing. Worth taking a chance?

114 Responses to "VANEK AT THE DISCO?"

1. Rondo says:

If I got to choose I would take Nikolai Kulemin . Two hundred foot player.

2. striatic says:

L Vinny Prospal!

3. Melman says:

Perron seems a lot like Gagner – I don’t see how he solves the “blocking out the sun” aspect. I like Kulemin and 2 so-so seasons might get him here cheaperish (i just invented a new word!). Pitt & Philly are tight against the cap – either of Hartnell or Neal especially would be excellent fits. Does next year’s 1st, Hemsky (keeping some salary) and Marincin bring back Neal? Probably not, but what else would you add

Vanek even for 1 year would be huge

4. speeds says:

The other thing with Vanek is we know they liked him enough to sign him to that big offer sheet 6 years ago.

Wait, that was SIX years ago? I can remember driving to work and hearing that on the radio, being floored that it happened. THAT was bold!

Prospal is going to retire, I thought I read it somewhere. I like Vinny. Good player forever.

6. striatic says:

of this group i like Perron and Kulemin but i can’t see why Toronto would trade Kulemin.

Perron is a different story entirely. much easier get.

7. striatic says:

“That all makes sense to Prospal, 38, but it doesn’t make it any easier to swallow. He’s a proud, accomplished player with 1,108 NHL games, and he wants to keep playing, in Columbus or elsewhere.”

8. striatic says:

source

“First off, the Blue Jackets are not “over” the salary cap. The $66.1 million number is deceiving. They actually have roughly $2.7 million available to spend under the cap, which is why they’re considering re-signing Vinny Prospal or adding another free agent for a modest salary in the coming weeks”

9. striatic says:

i think Prospal is giving the Jackets more time to decide on him, after they see what else is out there.

after that though, i think he may attempt to sign elsewhere. this is based on what the columbus press is reporting.

i haven’t been able to find mention of him retiring.

well Prospal is a good, good player. I’ll add him.

11. Kris11 says:

Jagr?

I still like Morrow. He should come cheap, too, no?

Kris11: I considered Jagr, and honestly if they signed him I’d be thrilled (seriously. THRILLED) but he’s so slow I didn’t include him.

13. misfit says:

14. Melman says:

LT – when looking at the RHD, if Schultz Sr. stays can either he or Ference slide over to the right? In lots of highlights Ference was on that side. If so, that would set up
    Smid, Petry
    Belov, Ference
    Schultz x 2

or

Smid, Petry
    Ference, J. Schultz
    Belov, N.Schultz

both options seem to balance the D better with Potter as #7 and the new Dallas kid in OKC or #8

15. spoiler says:

Well that was one barrel of the shotgun.

Melman:
    LT – when looking at the RHD, if Schultz Sr. stays can either he or Ference slide over to the right?In lots of highlights Ference was on that side.If so, that would set up
    Smid, Petry
    Belov, Ference
    Schultz x 2

or

Smid, Petry
    Ference, J. Schultz
    Belov, N.Schultz

Funny you ask. Tyler over at mc79hockey did an item on Ference on the weekend and has another on the way, the central theme of the first article was lefties playing on the off side.

17. Andropod says:

Would it be that bad if we reversed two past mistakes and got Glencross and Gilbert back?
    Nobody on this board seems interested in either, but they might be all we can get the way we are going……

18. striatic says:

misfit: If the Jackets are feeling the heat cap-wise and we need a big LW with size, why isn’t Umberger appearing on any of these lists of targets?

Umberger has an NTC and anyway Columbus has 2 million in cap space with only one player away from a full roster.

19. jb says:

Kris11:
    Jagr?

I still like Morrow. He should come cheap, too, no?

Jagr would be real nice for a year or two. Dallas fans couldn’t wait to part ways with morrow in a 3rd line role.. He’s kinda like Smyth.. Room for one old slow guy on the 4th line but not two

20. spoiler says:

Alright Eskies! Good* work.. Have to be able to beat up on the Sisters of the Poor. Tough game in these conditions though.

*if we stretch the meaning like sugar taffy.

21. striatic says:

looks like Prospal still has wheels.

in terms of “Old Guy” LWs, this is why i prefer him over the others.

22. serum114 says:

Ference mentioned in an interview the day he signed that he’s played both sides and is comfortable playing both sides, so I think the coaching staff will make use of that versatility if need be.

23. BlacqueJacque says:

Colby is done like dinner. He’s still got the heart of a game rooster but the body has fallen apart. Even after a lockout gave him extra time to recover from injuries, and even with a fresh start in Montreal, he couldn’t deliver. Sad, because when he was healthy, he would have been a great addition.

24. Gerta Rauss says:

Finally, somebody mentioning Penner on this blog!!

25. Gerta Rauss says:

Glencross would be too good to be true, but I can’t see why Calgary would

-trade him
    -trade him to us

26. Manitoba Oilers says:

LT what would you think of trading for Evander Kane

27. fifthcartel says:

I wonder what it would take to get Kulemin. He might be the perfect fit.

28. TheOtherJohn says:

Brouwer in a trade? Have to send some value to Washington. They need some D. Maybe we could trade Ference and a prospect for him? Ok, that might not work

I’d love to get Perron & Reaves out of STL but only asset that would do it (not sure we have something they want outside of MPS) is the very real threat of big $$ offer sheets to Pitrangelo and Stewart

Gerta Rauss:
    Finally, somebody mentioning Penner on this blog!!

It’s been YEARS!!!!

Manitoba Oilers:
    LT what would you think of trading for Evander Kane

The line would start at one of the #1′s I’d expect. He’s their Hall.

31. blackadder says:

I wonder if Florida might be a Hemsky destination – they may want some skill and experience to play with Barkov, and they have players like Kopecy and Goc that could play a role here.

Can’t see MacTavish ever signing Penner, I don’t recall MacT being a Penner fan when he coached here. Perron is an excellent option, and I’m still holding out hope we sign Grabovsky.

32. oilersfan says:

How about that monster russian who plAyed center for winnipeg? He shoots left could platoon with Gagner on faceoffs and be a lw good at puck retrieval and net presence. Used to play for toronto cant remember his name

33. Gerta Rauss says:

Mac T quoted in the Terry Jones piece from Friday

There’s a couple significant pieces we’d like to add — a top-six forward doesn’t have to be a prolific scorer but would be a good complement to the other five forwards. Somebody who has a lot more size.

There’s still a few significant holes, in my mind. We’ve got a couple significant pieces we can try to move to fill some of those holes. We’re hopeful we can do that.

The one thing we didn’t address enough of here is the toughness aspect

So, the good news is that he sees what we see, and, godspeed, he isn’t done yet.

Ryan Malone’s name has come up a couple times in the last couple days here-there was some talk at the draft that TB was looking to sweeten any trade with a
    draft pick in order to move him out, so it appears the price to acquire wouldn’t be much. He is not an ideal fit by any stretch of the imagination(injuries), but assuming
    he’d waive his NTC..?

I might consider Malone if the cost is just a pick.

34. Ryan says:

Lowetide: It’s been YEARS!!!!

HorPenSky!!! oh wait.

GagPenYak!!! Now, it is so.

35. oilersfan says:

Nik antropov plays 16 mins anight is a ufa thats who i meant

36. spoiler says:

How are the Rangers going to sign those RFAs?

They have $11.2M left to sign Hagelin, McDonagh, or Stepan.

Stepan scored nearly a point per game this season. He’s going to want more money than Gagner.

I don’t see how they can sign both McDonagh and Hagelin for $5.5 to $6M. They can’t really rely on QOs because they only have 6 players signed for next year, with some biggies including Brassard, Callahan and Girardi needing a re-up.

I’d like to think Brassard could be available. He’s going to get a payday next year. Bigger than Gagner and better defensively. He’s new to the Rangers and not part of the core.

Either that or the Rangers are going to have to trade one of Hagelin, McDonagh, or Stepan. I’d guess their preference would be in that order. Hagelin doesn’t interest me. Like Perron, he’s too small for our needs.

Richards is untradeable with that contract and will be bought out next year. But they got to get there. They should have bought him out this deadline.

37. Gerta Rauss says:

oilersfan:
    Nik antropov plays 16 mins anight is a ufa thats who i meant

I’d like Antropov-can play C or W

38. Young Oil says:

blackadder:

Can’t see MacTavish ever signing Penner, I don’t recall MacT being a Penner fan when he coached here.Perron is an excellent option, and I’m still holding out hope we sign Grabovsky.

The two teams that I would think would have a decent amount of interest in Hemsky are Florida and the New York Rangers. Hemsky would be the clear cut #2 RW on both teams, would push Kopecky for the #1 spot in Florida. Would love to see Hemsky ($2M retained)+middling pick/prospect for Boyle and Kreider, or Hemsky+high pick and/or prospect to Florida for Kulikov, if any of those players are possible to be dealt.

Would still trade him for Zach Smith in a second if that was still on the table, not sure if it still is/ever was.

39. "Steve Smith" says:

Andropod:
    Would it be that bad if we reversed two past mistakes and got [...] Gilbert back?
    Nobody on this board seems interested in either…

Commenters here are convincing me that I’m either illiterate, or that I have imagined entire conversations on this blog. Between this and nobody ever mentioning Penner…

40. "Steve Smith" says:

spoiler: Can the Old Boys Club work out a deal with Sather, The Godfather of their little cabal?

Didn’t Sather do Lowe a solid years back? Something about two trades involving Markkanen, or something? I remember it being unambiguously in the Oilers’ favour, somehow.

41. BONVIE says:

BONVIE:

1. Not everyone is suggesting the Rangers take on Hemsky.
    2. The Oilers can hold back some of the salary in the deal.

Gerta Rauss:
    Mac T quoted in the Terry Jones piece from Friday

The one thing we didn’t address enough of here is the toughness aspect

he’d waive his NTC..?

I might consider Malone if the cost is just a pick.

Thanks for that Gerta, I missed it.

If he’s lowering expectations on the offence and increasing them on the size and truculence, then my guess is Umberger.

The contract is too much and too long for a player that is breaking down, so even with the NTC, he’s probably available.

Another player who fits that mould is Scott Hartnell. Another too old and contract too long for a body that is breaking down, but he’s still a better player than Umberger.

There’s a story (I think Matty had it back in the day) that Hartnell actually waived his NTC to come to Edmonton in exchange for Souray and v1.2 backed out of the deal.

You get the feeling that its going to be a multi-player deal with whatever team ends up trading with EDM.

I’d rather have Simmonds from PHI.

Also,

There were rumours that PHI was talking to CAL about Couturier in exchange for Gio and was getting hung up over Holmgren insisting that CAL take Mezaros as well.

I wonder if he could be talked into doing that deal for Smid+?

Smid is no Gio, so the add would have to be good.

44. "Steve Smith" says:

Lowetide: 1. Not everyone is suggesting the Rangers take on Hemsky.

You’re not reading the same blog as I am. The way I see it, everyone is so busy advocating trading Hemsky to the Rangers, they can’t even find the time to propose signing Penner or Gilbert.

45. spoiler says:

BONVIE: How does everyone think that the Rangers can take a 5 mil cap hit on Hemsky when the will have to move pieces just to get McD signed.

Can’t speak for others,despite my predilection to do so, but in my case, it would be picks/prospects, N. Schultz types going to the Rangers, depending on who Sather would be willing to trade.

Replace the picks with Hemsky.

46. "Steve Smith" says:

I think we should trade Hemsky and his entire salary to the Rangers.

Whatever happened to Hunter? I don’t think I’ve seen him around here in months. I like that guy.

47. Young Oil says:

BONVIE:

The Rangers have over $11M to sign 3 players, McDonagh and likely 2 depth players. They’ll be fine, better off than a lot of teams.

oilersfan:
    Nik antropov plays 16 mins anight is a ufa thats who i meant

I like Nik.

Good stop gap for a year if there isn’t a deal to be had.

Young Oil,

They have to sign Stepan, who was their #1 C this year. Great young player.

Hagelin was pretty important too, 6th in TOI/gm in the regular season.

Zucarello was more 3rd line, so he would count as depth.

McDonaugh was their #1Dman and Stepan their #1C.

Those contracts will not be cheap, even if they are RFA contracts.

Add to that Hagelin and Zucarello and there’s some serious coin to be spent.

50. Kris11 says:

There was never a commenter named “Hunter” here, Steve.

Next thing you know Steve Smith will tell us he doesn’t remember Schremp winning the Vezina in 2017. Crazy times those were.

51. Young Oil says:

Woodguy,

My apologies, I misread the information on capgeek!

Those other three players are definitely impact players that will demand lots of coin.

Big mistake not deciding to buy out Richards, wonder if they go back on their word.

52. spoiler says:

Young Oil: If we retain $2M from Hemsky, they get $3M, and we get Kreider ($1.325M) and Boyle ($1.7M), the amount of cap space for each team won’t change.

Same money (close enough), except they would have one less roster player, and one of their cheap ones at that.

striatic,

They may be close to a full roster, but all the hubub around that team is wanting to add offence.

The roster might be close to full, but its not the mix they want.

As for NTC, lots of players get traded with them, it more or less gives them right of refusal, but doesn’t mean they won’t get traded.

54. Young Oil says:

Just a random question, I know teams can withhold cap hit, but can they do it for multiple years?

Like just for example, not saying the Oil should do it, but say Brad Richards was traded. Could the Rangers withhold, say, $2M each year until the contract is completed?

Haven’t crunched the numbers to see if a normal buyout would be cheaper, and I know they would use a compliance buyout for that instead, but just wondering if withholding cap for multiple years is allowed.

55. stevezie says:

Woodguy,

Girardi is only a year away from UFA, maybe he’s the one they move? I’d pay a decent price to use him as a stopgap while we wait for a less crappy UFA summer.

Young Oil:
    Woodguy,

My apologies, I misread the information on capgeek!

All good.

Window is closed for compliance buyouts for this year.

57. BONVIE says:

That would be a big mistake, better off to make a trade that basically dumps the contract to a team like Florida then eat even a dollar in cap. Less than half the teams are in a position to attempt to sign a big rfa, they should not blow that opportunity. I myself would be happy to go after either Pieterangelo for along term 8.4mil contract. They could target McD but there offer for him would have to be substantially lower.

58. FPB94 says:

Vanek would be really nice. If he’s available do it, There’s not a lot of windows to acquire prime time goal scorers.

After watching 1 year of Armstrong, I must say he’s really nice and he got heart but he has not enough juice left in the tank to be much more than a bottom 6 guy.

59. Gerta Rauss says:

Woodguy:

Also,

I heard Couturier’s name mentioned in the flurry as well.

I could see a multi player deal with Philly-that’s Holmgren’s style. Maybe the Coburn talks had more pieces involved. If Coburn and one of the young C’s were involved I might be interested-losing Smid would hurt but if we got 2 pieces in return (C and D) you got to be in there pitchin.

60. Lucinius says:

Everyone wants to trade my favourite Oilers :(

Hemsky, Paajarvi, Smid.. throw in Lander and Marincin and you’ll have traded all of my favourites except Yakupov (another common trade mention).

Damn you all!

stevezie:
    Woodguy,

I like him.

If I’m Sather I try to move Staal, but going to be tough with the eye injury and the looming call of CAR in two years.

62. DBO says:

Be real nice to trade for Kulemin and sign Penner. Size taken care of. kulemin is a two way beast. And Penner is Penner. Rounds out our forwards.

Gerta Rauss: I heard Couturier’s name mentioned in the flurry as well.

I think Holmgren wants to keep Colburn unless he get’s an upgrade.

If you are going to weasel Couturier out of there it sounds like you need to give a good pick, take Mezaros and give up a good Dman.

I’d do Smid, 1st and D prosepct not named Klef for Couturier, Mezaros pretty quickly.

Young Oil:

If a team trading a player retains the cap hit, the retain the same amount for every year left in the contract.

I’m not 100% sure how the actual $ work if they fluctuate, but I’d imagine it would be on the same percentage as the cap retained.

You know, the funny thing is I would be sad if they dealt Smid now. After all these years. This must be what it’s like to have a son-in-law.

Perfect.

Also,

Now that you like him, he’s a gonner for sure.

Please hate Paajarvi.

67. FPB94 says:

Meszjaros is actually a pretty good defenseman.

FPB94:
    Meszjaros is actually a pretty good defenseman.

He was.

Shoulder injury, Achilles injury and re-injuring the shoulder last year.

Played 11 games, had the worst Corsi on the team in easy minutes.

Sounds like he might be done.

He’s only 27, maybe he has a bounce back year?

I’d take the chance if it meant Couturier as 2C.

Snider is anxious to win again, probably doesn’t want to wait on him since he’s in his last year and eating up cap space.

Might be another Whitney though…..

69. RMGS says:

Gerta Rauss:
    Mac T quoted in the Terry Jones piece from Friday

The one thing we didn’t address enough of here is the toughness aspect

70. Captain Obvious says:

Away for a week and all they added was Ference. Gordon doesn’t count since he just replaces Horcoff. This is pretty close to worst case scenario. Unless one or more of the young D unexpectedly turn into a star this team is going to be mediocre for years.

71. lance says:

RMGS: Yes, but in that same interview (on the Oilers site) he also says that he’s fine with his centre depth with Gordon’s addition. Here’s to hoping he’s done revealing organizational strategy and is employing the good ol’ countertrey.

Please be countertrey. I would love to see Coots in Oiler blue. My Flyer buddy said we should be instead looking at Scott Laughton.

72. FPB94 says:

Woodguy,

Couturier is worth it alone. Guy’s been doing good against some heavy comp (for a kid).

At worst Meszaros just goes somewhere, at best he rebecomes a borderline good 1st pairing dman.

73. Captain Obvious says:

Oh and if you think Ference is a top four defenseman you don’t know too much.

74. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: I like him.

If you are Sather this is when you move M. Staal to Carolina.

As for Couturier and Meszaros for Smid, a 1st and (I’d go Musil), I would make that trade. Meszaros might be a solid defenseman for a few years yet, and one could argue he is suffering the same stigma that is attached to Hemsky, but if it means getting Couturier, I’d roll the dice on the blueline knowing that I have internal backups.

Captain Obvious:
    Oh and if you think Ference is a top four defenseman you don’t know too much.

Better call the Bruins!

76. LMHF#1 says:

I remember reading somewhere that Vanek actually really wanted to come to Edmonton when he signed that offer sheet. May have even been upset when Buffalo matched. He played hockey in Lacombe when he was a teenager. He would change our team for the better in a big way instantly.

77. bookje says:

Captain Obvious:
    Oh and if you think Ference is a top four defenseman you don’t know too much.

Perhaps he knows ‘just enough’

78. Maverick says:

Gerta mentioned this earlier:

“Mac T quoted in the Terry Jones piece from Friday
    The one thing we didn’t address enough of here is the toughness aspect.”

Interesting comments.
    It’s been bugging me all day and there is another element missing and that is a shit disturber on the team. We need a player who has a high quotation on the “he’s a dink” meter.

Perron
    Glencross
    Armstrong
    These 3 fit that quotation. I will add 2 more and why they might be available.

1.Steve Downie from Colorado. I know, he injured his knee and Colorado wouldn’t trade him before. But now, Sakic is in charge, has no loyalty to the guy, 1 year away from UFA status, and we all know there will be only one “dink” in Colorado that being Patrick Roy. Bad part is that Downie plays primarily RW.

2. Scottie Upshall. Might be worth taking a risk. Might not waive his NTC or modified NMC or whatever he has but he has had a tough time in Florida the past 2 years. Looked pretty good when he was in Phoenix. Maybe MacT and KLowe can impress him to come back to Alberta. He plays LW and would fit into 2 LW spot. When he played in Phoenix he played both RW and LW and is listed as LW on the Panther website.

Just thought I would through a couple more names into the hat.

79. PunjabiOil says:

Yeah Vanek played in Lacombe as a teenager. I do recall him being appreciative to the Oilers for the offersheet.

If he is willing to sign an extension (aim for 6.5 years for 6 years – he’s 29 at the moment) – that would give you a legitimate top 6 for the next 5 years or more. Likely would cost a minimum 1st plus Vanek.

The fact that Bob Stauffer specifically mentioned Oshie and Perron suggests they could be on the block.

80. bookje says:

“Steve Smith”:
    I think we should trade Hemsky and his entire salary to the Rangers.

Whatever happened to Hunter?I don’t think I’ve seen him around here in months.I like that guy.

I used to get confused between Traktor and Hunter. Probably because they are disyllabic and end in ‘r’ or something like that.

81. Young Oil says:

Just wondering if this is a good idea, but would it be worth it to sign Nick Palmeri to an inexpensive two way deal? We don’t have much depth at RW, especially in OKC, and a 6’3” 230lb 23 year old who has done decently in the AHL might be worth taking a chance on!

82. spoiler says:

RexLibris: If you are Sather this is when you move M. Staal to Carolina.

Carolina is in a cap hell of their own making. They would much prefer this NOT be the year Staal is up for grabs.

83. PunjabiOil says:

Remember when Katz was attempting to buy the team and promised the public the Oilers would be a cap team every year?

84. sumaclab says:

FPB94,

My border collie has better skills. He is so done. If I had my druthers it would be Vanek. Even at that price. Perron is my second choice. Give Grabbo a weekend with his new wife and give his agent a tap on the noggin to see what the price point is for his services.

Lowetide If you mention Penner once more I’ll be sending you Pancakes once a month for the next year. MacT couldn’t motivate him. Really how far do you think his act would carry with Dallas Eakins.

Sumaclab: I know Penner won’t be in Edmonton this fall, but that doesn’t mean it’s a bad idea. I believe MacT is a really smart guy, but imo he’s hurting his own chances to succeed if he doesn’t at least call Penner.

Whatever the reasoning behind signing Ryan Jones before calling Dustin Penner are flawed. And that’s a fact.

86. jbfuzz says:

Woodguy has pretty frequently mentioned a fit with CLB, and I’d agree – I see a Hemsky-Umberger swap where CLB gets out from the the longer contract (if he waives his no-trade).

At the risk of sounding like I should be on HFBoards, I’ll put forward a Zack Smith acquisition (as rumored a while ago) where OTT gets a depth D (Potter) and a Pitlick or Hamilton to add some prospect depth.

Hoping the Cobrun deal happens without including Smid. Eager/Schulz/2nd and $1 million in cap space held back for Talbot/Coburn?

Captain Obvious:
    Oh and if you think Ference is a top four defenseman you don’t know too much.

Read Tyler’s take here:

Also,

Here’s the TOI for Bruin’s D in this playoff:

Zdeno Chara 29:31:00
    Dennis Seidenberg 25:59:00
    Andrew Ference 24:31:00
    Johnny Boychuk 23:55:00
    Matt Bartkowski 19:46:00
    Torey Krug 15:49:00
    Wade Redden 15:48:00
    Dougie Hamilton 15:47:00
    Adam McQuaid 14:46:00

He’s old, he’s more like a 4/5 than a top 4, but to say:

Oh and if you think Ference is a top four defenseman you don’t know too much.

with nothing to support it is poor form.

88. Captain Happy says:

jbfuzz:

Columbus got their “Hemsky” when they traded for Marian Gaborik.

Their RW depth is Gaborik, Horton, Atkinson, Boll.

Hemsky can’t crack that lineup.

89. blackadder says:

It would make sense to go aggressively after Couturier. Flyers already have Lecavalier and Giroux signed long term, and they won’t be able to keep both Couturier and Schenn. If it means taking on Meszaros and even Talbot it would make sense. They can’t take much salary back, so a mix of prospects and picks may work. Have to give up on the idea of getting Coburn, though.

90. PunkInDrublic says:

Would something like Hartnell and Meszaros for N. Schultz (50% salary), 2014 2nd, Marincin and Hamilton be workable?

Philly gets a ton of cap relief, a #4/5D, a good prospect, a midrange prospect and a 2014 second round pick for the 2LW we’re looking for and a frequently injured, soon to be UFA #3D.

91. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

Woodguy,

I’m not sure Umberger is the truculent type or the LW the Oilers really want, in fact I would compare Umberger close to Penner in the way they play.

He uses his body very well, but his compete, “hard on the puck ” forchecking and hitting isn’t what I think you would want on that line….he leaves you wanting more.

Dubinsky on the other hand can play both centre or wing, has about 100 more hits a season then Umberger, has decent offense and loves to mix it up.

I would be all over a Couturier for Smid…….I got ripped a little or suggesting almost the same thing.

92. G Money says:

blackadder:
    It would make sense to go aggressively after Couturier.Flyers already have Lecavalier and Giroux signed long term, and they won’t be able to keep both Couturier and Schenn.If it means taking on Meszaros and even Talbot it would make sense.They can’t take much salary back, so a mix of prospects and picks may work.Have to give up on the idea of getting Coburn, though.

Even if they can’t keep them next year (and a lot can happen between now and then, like Pronger on LTIR), it doesn’t necessarily mean they will trade them this year.

Philly is in minor cap trouble – 24 players and $1M over the cap. They need to get rid of that $1M in salary before training camp, but that’s about it. Someone’s heading out the door in Philly, but I doubt if it’s Couturier or Schenn, certainly not this year.

Coburn is a possibility only because a swap for e.g. Schultz Sr would provide the necessary $1M in cap relief while still allowing them to ice a decent lineup.

The Penguins, Blues, Sharks, Hurricanes and Canucks are in deeper cap troubles. VOR also made a strong case in another thread that Detroit is also in deeper cap trouble than might appear on the surface. I would look to one of those teams as a more likely trade partner…

93. G Money says:

Woodguy: Read my post at 8:27am in this thread (aside: still don’t know how to link to specific comments in a thread…little help anyone?)

WG: the link to the comment is actually embedded into the time and date below the name above each comment. So, right click on the time and date, copy the link, and paste it into your comment, and voila … link complete.

For example, this is the link to the comment in which you asked this very question:

94. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

I think the Oilers are at a crossroads, in order to get a player they want, I believe the Oilers might have to consider using

Gagner

Petry

Paajarvi

Klefbom

I have a gut feeling these are the names MacTavish will eventually use with possible picks included.

A top 6 LW or centre

A top 9 winger

A top pairing defensmen,

I think the Oilers can hold off on a top pairing defensmen till next year UFA season.

That LW or C is going to cost them.

95. Bad Seed says:

bookje: I used to get confused between Traktor and Hunter.Probably because they are disyllabic and end in ‘r’ or something like that.

I always thought they were the same guy.

96. Numenius says:

PunjabiOil:
    Yeah Vanek played in Lacombe as a teenager.I do recall him being appreciative to the Oilers for the offersheet.

If he is willing to sign an extension (aim for 6.5 years for 6 years – he’s 29 at the moment) – that would give you a legitimate top 6 for the next 5 years or more.Likely would cost a minimum 1st plus Vanek.

Did you mean 1st plus Paajarvi?

As I’m looking at it I would really love to see a Vanek deal happen and it doesn’t seem like a mere pipe dream. But what would it really take to get it done? I’m bad with this stuff.

Would a 1st plus Paajarvi be enough? Would we be open to adding something even more (e.g. Marincin)? Is that an overpay, given that Vanek only has 1 year left on his contract? Maybe if he agreed to sign an extension…

97. blackadder says:

G Money,

From a cap standpoint, they could afford to keep both, but from a roster standpoint, why keep both Schenn and Couturier when you can package them with some salary to give you cap space and either prospects or picks. Then they can keep Coburn, who along with Grossman are the only defence man who have the truculence every team seems to be after these days. Centres with size and skill are hard to come by, and Philly has some to spare.

98. "Steve Smith" says:

Bad Seed: I always thought they were the same guy.

They both dislike Horcoff, but I think that’s about the extent of their similarities.

Bookie and Captain D-S-F are totally the same guy, however.

99. dangilitis says:

MACT’S LIST

UFA options: Does Gagner count if we brought in Grabo? (Raymond, Penner, Gagne, Propsal, Morrow in that order)
    Trade candidates: Perron (Glencross, Hagelin, Kulemin, Jokinen)

4. Find a 4line C: Wellwood (Gomez, Mueller, Hecht, Lander)
    Trade candidates: None (shouldn’t give up assets to get a 4th line center)

5. Deal Hemsky for immediate help (even if its a checker)/
    6. Top 4 defender (signed Ference, that’s the big move this summer):
    Here’s where I differ a bit. We can’t rely on this defense as it stands. To borrow your analogy, LT, in the forward group MacT needed to add the 6,7,9s. With the D group at the moment, we have the opposite problem – too many of those 6,7,9s and not enough J/K’s. Immediate help is needed on D, and Hemsky should be traded at 2.5 mil/season + 1 or 2 of 6′s7s9s to get a jack (or at least a 10?)
    Targets: Niskanen, Fowler, Tyutin, Coburn, Kulikov. Ellis, Girardi, McDonagh, Staal, Michalek, Vlasic

7. Find a 3line R: Hemsky (if can’t trade for value), then Brunner, Boyes, Cleary, Mueller
    Trade targets: Winnik, Wheeler, Ward

100. landonius says:

I know we all want more size in the top 6, but what about just adding a decent possession player to play with Sam and Yak. I see Brad Boyes (6′, 195lbs) and to lesser degree (little more unproven) Damien Brunner (5’11″, 185lbs) are available for only money. They both get listed as playing RW and LW (depending on which site you reference), they both had positive possession numbers, both started in the offensive zone around 60% but put up points with that push. It might be nice to fill out the top 6 without giving an asset, we can then afford to give up assets for help on LD

101. Numenius says:

It looks like the Sabres also have RW needs.

Maybe Hemsky could be part of a deal for Vanek.

Would suck for Hemsky though to go to a team likely in a worse state of rebuild than the Oilers.

102. PunjabiOil says:

Did you mean 1st plus Paajarvi?

Haha yes, yes I did.

Still probably not enough. Maybe a guy like Gernat would have to be added on.

103. commonfan14 says:

On a scale of 1-10, how mad will people be if all else fails and MacT just ends up trading next year’s 2nd or something for Mike Cammelleri?

104. Numenius says:

Here’s the deal.

Trade Hemsky and 2014 1st for Vanek ($7.2, 1 year left on contract) (add depth prospect to deal if necessary). (Sign him to an extension for 6 at $6-7 per?)
    Sign Gagner for 5 at $4.7 per, NTC.
    Sign Paajarvi for 3 at $2 per.
    Sign random 4th line center UFA for $1.

Gets us:

Hall-Nuge-Eberle
    Vanek-Gagner-Yak
    Paajarvi-Gordon-Jones
    Smyth-RandomC-Lander
    Joensuu
    Knuckles

Smid-Petry
    Ferrence-J.Schultz
    N.Schultz-Belov
    Larsen-Potter

Cap Space Remaining for 13/14: 1,600,000

Beautiful. The top 6 is killer, and the D solid, though still lacking an elite D.

If we could somehow pull off finding a Top 4 D involving a trade with N. Schultz and picks/prospects, we’d have $5.1 available to pay him for this year.

Some of the contracts may need adjusting, but I’d love this.

105. VanOil says:

I just watched Millers Crossing. Thank you.

And my broken record for 2LW/C. Tambo could of had him in February but dithered according to reports in the EJ.

106. DeadmanWaking says:

Woodguy: I like him.

Cartoon1: CAR
    Cartoon2: When car chasers dream

Described at TV Tropes:

An unintentional example; Larson once sent out a cartoon showing a dog sitting on an overturned car and howling titled, “What dogs dream of”. The intended meaning was the dog’s fantasy of catching and “killing” the car, but much to Larson’s and his editor’s surprise, a ton of people thought that it looked like the dog was humping the car.

Now we know "Steve Smith"'s former occupation: cartoon editor. (It's possible to search for additional "Steve Smith"s using SymbolHound, but its index is rather thin and screwy, much to all the "Steve Smith"s' anguish.)

There’s also a full entry at Tropes on Getting Crap Past the Radar

The first story I learned long ago about this fine art concerned a fellow named Claud Cockburn (famous for “believe nothing until it has been officially denied”) as well as for slipping this heading into the The Times: “Small Earthquake in Chile Not Many Dead” though Wikipedia now tells me this was never officially denied.

Several appropriate riffs in those strips concerning MacT’s summer of frantic languor.

107. FPB94 says:

Why do everyone not like BRad Boyes? Steady 2nd liner since forever…

108. DeadmanWaking says:

It ate the first URL

The teletype font helps with the punctuation marks.

109. BrazilianOil says:

will be an offer sheet for Mcdonagh 8 mill a madness?

110. Lucinius says:

Don’t the Oilers basically have an internal cap of not paying anyone more than Hall?

Edit: Also, apparently, a 6-year extension is going to happen shortly.

111. theres oil in virginia says:

Woodguy,
    Under each comment’s author name is a date-time, which is linkable. I think that’s what you were looking for?

EDIT: Whoops, I see g money got it.

112. uni says:

FPB94,

I’ve often wondered that myself. 1 million for a relatively young (31) former 40 goal scorer seems odd.

A cursory look into it shows that his counting stats have declined ever since his ‘breakout’ season. Also from various blogs whose accuracy I haven’t confirmed it seems that he’s never really been an advanced stat darling, i.e. he’s never pushed the play and seems very much to be a complimentary player that’s a liability in his own zone.

His last season on the Island, the sentiment among fans from the forums seems to be that he’s a decent enough offensive option, just that he doesn’t belong on a 1st line, and he disappears for large stretches of time, even though he most often played with Tavares and Matt Moulson and was being force fed the puck.

Grain of salt and all that, haven’t looked at an in depth advanced stat evaluation of him over the last 5 years or so. Is he worth a flyer at 1 million for 1 season? I’d say certainly, given that Ryan Jones can apparently command 1.5 million.

G Money: WG:the link to the comment is actually embedded into the time and date below the name above each comment.So, right click on the time and date, copy the link, and paste it into your comment, and voila … link complete.

Awesome!!

Thanks!

114. FastOil says:

To reference BladeRunner again, “that, hurt”. Looking at the Jones signing if Penner was willing to come back it is actually inexcusable unless the guy has a known addiction issue etc. Too much talent difference to justify and Penner is a beast in the playoffs.

It seems to me there is indecision with strategy. The team can be made better with value signings of guys like Gilbert, Penner, Grabo, the like. Or go big and deal Eberle and/or Gagner and go after Couturier, Petrangelo or McDonagh type players. If Nurse and/or Klef turn out great, a chip to upgrade again with.

If they are keeping all the talent, start signing the value players before they are gone. What’s been done so far isn’t enough.