Marco Roy played a pre-season game Friday night, scored a goal, had 6 shots on goal (5 of them dangerous shots) and it was the game winner. The local paper run through Google translate said “Marc-Olivier Roy and Danick Martel deceived the vigilance of the visiting goalkeeper with shots in the roof of the net from the circle off faceoffs!”It appears the Quebec hockey writers have tremendous flair, or google translate is pumping their pneus.
My God I love the game of hockey, it’s such a beautiful game. I enjoyed every season of hockey as a child and remain spellbound by it. The summer is for adding to the team, throwing away unwanted items and renewal. The fall is about hope and all things are possible, long days from the bitter, bitter pill of mathematics telling you it’s another spring without the playoffs. I want that second season, as a fan. Honestly, if the Oilers never win a Stanley in my lifetime, I have no right to complain. I enjoyed 5, FIVE, Stanley’s as a fan and I don’t think the hockey Gods guarantee anyone six (not since Pollock fixed the tumblers in his favor 50 years ago). So, this is it. The beginning. Another fall on the way, another opportunity, a brand new bullet in the chamber.
These are the things I’m most looking forward to this winter:
- Taylor Hall, shock and awe.
- Nuge, healthy and finding the range.
- Eberle, continuing an incredible journey.
- Yak City pissing off seniors.
- Justin Schultz for a full NHL season.
- Samwise quieting critics.
- The new man Perron.
- Ryan Smyth showing us some of the past
- Oscar Klefbom showing us some of the future
- Ference ovations at Rexall!
- Dubnyk gets respect
- A deadline addition that is timely and makes sense
- A coaching staff that runs their best players and makes adjustments.
- That young blue in OKC continuing to develop
- One forward prospect emerging from the Barons group
- Khaira killing it in Everett
- The young man Nurse.
- Marco Roy scoring in bunches in a land called Blainville-Boisbriand
LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE
We’re back on the radio, 10am on Team 1260 with a full lineup. Scheduled to appear:
- Michael Parkatti from Boys on the Bus. We’ll talk Rajala, Grabovski and the importance of value contracts (Oilers edition).
- Tommy Lawlor from Iggles Blitz. Team 1260 has been previewing NFL teams during my absence but not enough on the Eagles. Lawlor takes care of that this morning.
- Brian King (PDO) is mad as hell about the Eskimos and he’ll let loose at 10:40 this morning.
- Eric Rodgers will discuss the Barons and their sudden lack of offense for the coming season.
- Travis Yost will join us (I hope) at 11:25, and we’ll discuss what the hell is going on with his blog!